Meena Kumari comes alive

Sunidhi Chauhan and Shandaar Amrohi will lend voice to the actress’ poems to be released in video and audio CDs

Vickey Lalwani

Posted On Monday, July 25, 2011 at 03:24:33 AM

Soon people will get to hear the late veteran actress Meena Kumari’s poems in video and audio CDs. A brainchild of Kamal Amrohi’s son Shandaar and Reena Roy’s sister Barkha (both previously worked together on Shandar’s biography From Somewhere to Nowhere) are now launching video and audio CDs featuring many poems written by the yesteryear actress.

Shandaar and Barkha (below) will launch Meena Kumari’s (above) poems in video and audio CDs
A source said, “She had written many poems. Now, her step son Shandaar Amrohi is putting together all Meena’s poetries in a music video.”

Meena Kumari and her filmmaker husband Kamal Amrohi had started to develop strong differences, both professionally and in their married life. The fights eventually led to their separation in 1960, and ultimately divorce in 1964.

The divorce had emotionally affected the actress. A charming woman before, she was soon engulfed by depression and took to heavy drinking as a solace. The couple remarried, but by then Meena Kumari had become an alcoholic. Her sorrow drove her to write poetry.

The actress in one of her poems wrote about Kamal - “Tum kya karoge sunkar mujhse meri kahani, Beluft zindagi ke kisse hain pheeke pheeke” (Why do you want to listen to my story, colourless tales of a joyless life?).

At the time of her divorce, she had written - “Talaak to de rahe ho Nazar-e-kahar ke saath, Jawani bhi mere lauta do Mehar ke saath” (You are divorcing me with rage in your eyes. Return me, my youth along with the dowry).

When contacted, Barkha told Mumbai Mirror, “I am not only producing the video but also co-directing it with Raoul V Randolf.” Randolf co-wrote the screenplay of Ashutosh Gowariker’s Abhishek-Deepika starrer Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey.

Sunidhi Chauhan and Shandar will lend their voices to Meena Kumari’s poems. “We shall be coming out with Meenaji’s poetry on audio casettes too. Currently, we are looking out for young models to act in the videos,” Barkha added.

The idea to put Meena Kumari’s poetry on video and audio CDs is Barkha’s brainchild said Shandar and added, “I was very fond of Meenaji. I was 27 when she passed away. I have kept all her poems safely and it’s time that I bring them out so that everyone can avail of them.” The video and audio CDs are expected to be ready by September.