Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeh Gul(zar)istan Hamara
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
swarapriya
Yeh Gul(zar)istan Hamara - Films of Gulzar

Sampooran Singh Karla, popularly known as Gulzar, has been active for 50 years in the film industry. At age 73, after winning an Oscar in 2009 he seems to be going from strength to strength and hardly shows any signs of slowing down.

Originally a car mechanic, Karla always wanted to be a writer. He took the penname of Gulzar Deenvi and started writing. His first opportunity to write for films came in 1960.

He entered into the movies as an assistant director and song writer for the film “Shreeman Satyawadi”. After that ambitious start, he has been involved in writing dialogues, lyrics, stories, screenplays, producing, and directing movies for all these years.

During his brilliant career he garnered several awards. Aside for the Oscar for “Slumdog Millionaire” for the song “Jai Ho”, he also won a Grammy for the same song. He won the best lyricist Filmfare award a record 11 times. He also won the Filmfare award as the best dialogue writer four times, best story once, and best director once. He won seven National film awards in various categories. He is a recipient of Sahitya Akademi Award and the Padma Bhushan.

During his illustrious career Gulzar collaborated with various artistes, including Asha Bhosle, Bhupinder Singh, Ghulam Ali, Jagjit Singh, and R.D. Burman, and came out with several private albums. He invented a new technique of writing poetry called “Triveni” that contains each stanza as rhyming three lines. The album with Jagjit Singh, “Koi Baat Chale”, was written completely using this technique.

He also made his presence felt on TV by making a series on the life of “Ghalib”. He wrote songs for many children movies for TV. He directed 21 movies and was involved in some capacity or other in over 140 movies. In the next few weeks, I would like to share songs from the films he was associated with.

For showing continued brilliance for 50 or so years one cannot help but be in just awe of his unending creative juices. All one can say about him and his magnificently illustrious career, borrowing from his now world famous song, “Jai Ho!” …
swarapriya
Filmography of Gulzar

Gulzar was involved in over 140 movies in one capacity or other. The fimograpgy of his films is given in the following three attachments ...
swarapriya
Children, Regional & TV Serial Songs of Gulzar

Here is a list of the work Gulzar did for children films, TV serials, and regional movies ...
swarapriya
Albums With Commentary

Gulzar provided commentary for at least 30 albums. He also wrote lyrics of the songs for most of them. Here is this list ...
swarapriya
Non-Film Albums of Gulzar

Gulzar was also busy with various music directors and singers in coming out with several private albums. Following is one such list ...
swarapriya
Unreleased Songs of Gulzar

The following list contains some of the unreleased songs of Gulzar ...
surhall
very good
but i not see all list but 1968 sunghursh all song by shakeeibayauni ji
dhall
swarapriya
Shriman Satyawadi (1960)

This is the movie in which Gulzar made his debut as an assistant director as well as lyricist. Interestingly, Shashi Kapoor was also an assistant director of this movie.

Dattaram, a long time assistant to Shankar & Jaikishan, does a marvelous job here. Lata, who was a favorite of Shankar & Jaikishan through 60's is notably absent in this album. Suman Kalyanpur sings all female songs. She does so very beautifully. Almost all songs in this album are melodious to listen to. Here they are ...
Aditya Pant
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Mar 5 2010, 03:46 AM) *

Shriman Satyawadi (1960)

This is the movie in which Gulzar made his debut as an assistant director as well as lyricist. Interestingly, Shashi Kapoor was also an assistant director to this movie.

Dattaram, a long time assistant to Shankar & Jaikishan, does a marvelous job here. Lata, who was a favorite of Shankar & Jaikishan through 60's is notably absent in this album. Suman Kalyanpur sings all female songs. She does so very beautifully. Almost all songs in this album are melodious to listen to. Here they are ...

I am not sure, but the lyricist of Rang Rangeeli Botal was probably Gulshan Bawra.

Aditya
swarapriya
QUOTE(surhall @ Mar 4 2010, 02:15 PM) *

very good
but i not see all list but 1968 sunghursh all song by shakeeibayauni ji
dhall

You're right Dhallji. However, I did mention it as part of my filmography. Gulzarji indeed wrote dialogues for the movie.

Cheers,
S
smahesh
hi swarapriya,
congratulations on starting another great thread.pl add

1960-choron ki baaraat-1 song-md-manohar,
1960-diler haseena-3 songs-md-iqbal

196?-dui bechara-1 hindi song in a bangla film-md-bhupen hazarika,

regards,
mahesh
Rushin
please also include...

Introduction to Ghazals in film by Gulzar an interview recorded in early 1980s (approx 27 min movie).
swarapriya
QUOTE(smahesh @ Mar 5 2010, 08:13 PM) *

hi swarapriya,
congratulations on starting another great thread.pl add

1960-choron ki baaraat-1 song-md-manohar,
1960-diler haseena-3 songs-md-iqbal

196?-dui bechara-1 hindi song in a bangla film-md-bhupen hazarika,

regards,
mahesh

Thank you for the encouragement, Mahesh. The three movies you mentioned here were missing from the filmographies I researched but I will add them. No problem. I find most of the time these filmographies are incomplete and sometimes even incorrect.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Rushin @ Mar 5 2010, 08:40 PM) *

please also include...

Introduction to Ghazals in film by Gulzar an interview recorded in early 1980s (approx 27 min movie).

Will do, Rushin. Cheers. -S
rpnawani
Swarapriya, thanks for starting this thread on Gulzarji who has made immense contributions in so many different capacities. But what fascinates me most is his poetry. I look forward to many songs penned by him.

rpnawani
swarapriya
QUOTE(rpnawani @ Mar 5 2010, 11:59 PM) *

Swarapriya, thanks for starting this thread on Gulzarji who has made immense contributions in so many different capacities. But what fascinates me most is his poetry. I look forward to many songs penned by him.

rpnawani

Same here, RP. We're all somehow connected to him through his immense contributions to poetry. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
Choron Ki Baaraat (1960)

Per our fellow member Mahesh, Gulzarji wrote lyrics for one of the songs in this movie. Unfortunately I don't have a single song from this album. The music director for the film was Manohar. Please kindly share any songs you may have from this film, especially the song Gulzarji wrote. Thank you kindly.

swarapriya
Diler Hasina (1960)

Gulzarji wrote lyrics for three songs in this movie, this according to our fellow member Mahesh. Unfortunately I don't have a single song from this album. Its music was composed by Iqbal. If you have anyone of the songs from this album, please share with rest of us. Thank you very very much.
swarapriya
Kabuliwala (1961)

Here is another one of Bimalda's classic movie. This time he was the producer. It was directed by Hemen Gupta. Gupta was a long time private secretary to Subhash Chandra Bose. Apparently he directed a handful of movies including another Balraj Sahni starrer "Taksaal".

This Tagore's short story was earlier filmed in Bengali by Tapan Sinha. That movie won all kinds of accolades including several international awards. The Hindi version apparently follows the Bengali version.

The movie was occasionally louder than most movies of Bimalda. The main reason for this was that one of its principal character is a Pathan. It seemed like Balraj Sahni in the title role may have overplayed in early part of the movie. However he was in his element exhibiting the pangs of separation from his family and being far away in a foreign land thinking about his home country. In the later part of the movie his consummate artistry shines through.

Salilda scored music for this film. It is one of his memorable scores. One of the greatest songs ever written and recorded, "Aye Mere Pyaare Watan", about the longing for ones country was sung by Mannada. Each time I hear this song, it moves me to tears. The rich haunting lyrics were written by Prem Dhawan.

The movie also boasts another great song, written by Gulzarji, "Ganga Aaye Kahan Se". The song was sung by Hemantda. In his baritone rich voice, with the power of the words written, the atmosphere transcends into some type of sublime bliss and you feel hopelessly mesmerized.

Gulzarji was also the Chief Assistant Director of the movie.

I am including a special version of the song "Aye Mere Pyaare Watan" with Kavita Krishnamurty's introduction. This is from the album "Legends: Manna Dey - The Maestro CD-2".

Here are the songs ...
smahesh
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Mar 7 2010, 02:52 AM) *

Diler Hasina (1960)

Gulzarji wrote lyrics for three songs in this movie, this according to our fellow member Mahesh. Unfortunately I don't have a single song from this album. Its music was composed by Iqbal. If you have anyone of the songs from this album, please share with rest of us. Thank you very very much.

here is two songs from diler haseena[courtesy-hf]-

1 chatko na aji matko by mahendra kapoor [128kbps/3.05].
2 o o o manchali,akad ke chale the-mahendra kapoor [96kbps/3.18],

a request for the missing song written by gulzar-

1 chandni raat jiyara dole-suman,mahendra,

regards,
mahesh
smahesh
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Mar 7 2010, 02:49 AM) *

Choron Ki Baaraat (1960)

Per our fellow member Mahesh, Gulzarji wrote lyrics for one of the songs in this movie. Unfortunately I don't have a single song from this album. The music director for the film was Manohar. Please kindly share any songs you may have from this film, especially the song Gulzarji wrote. Thank you kindly.

a request for the song gulzar wrote for the film-

jane aur anjane aaj kahin deewane ghoomne nikle-suman,mahendra,

shriman satyawadi,choron ki baaraat and diler haseena were three films for which gulzar wrote as gulzar deenvi[deenvi derived from gulzar's birthplace ''DEENA'' in pakistan].for some strange reasons ,thses films are usually excluded from his filmographies.

regards,
mahesh
swarapriya
QUOTE(smahesh @ Mar 6 2010, 08:13 PM) *

here is two songs from diler haseena[courtesy-hf]-

1 chatko na aji matko by mahendra kapoor [128kbps/3.05].
2 o o o manchali,akad ke chale the-mahendra kapoor [96kbps/3.18],

a request for the missing song written by gulzar-

1 chandni raat jiyara dole-suman,mahendra,

regards,
mahesh

Thanks for the two songs, Mahesh. Cheers. -S

swarapriya
Prem Patra (1962)

This movie was based on an original Bengali film. It was made into Telugu as "Aaraadhana", also in 1962, and was released much earlier than the Hindi version. Telugu film was a hit. The Hindi film directed by the great Bimalda himslef did less than average business. The story was good. Songs were great. Sadhana was beautiful. In my opinon Shashi Kapoor was less than convincing in the dramatic role he was assigned to play. People just didn't buy him in such a serious role.

Salilda not only provided its great music but also wrote its screenplay as well. Gulzar contributed lyrics for one song. The most popular song of the lot was the duet by Lata and Talat, "Yeh Andhere Mere Ujaale Na Hote".

Here are the songs ...
akbaralibhai
Thank you very much Swarapriya for these wonderful uploads, great thread.
swarapriya
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Mar 10 2010, 12:07 AM) *

Thank you very much Swarapriya for these wonderful uploads, great thread.

You're very welcome Akbaralibhai. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
Bandini (1963)

Gulzarji was an assistant director of this movie. He also provided lyrics for that beautiful Lata number "Mora Gora Rang Lai Le". Songs from this album are still active and can be found in the "Saat Saath" thread in the "Sangeet Ke Sitarey" section. You can access these songs from the following location ...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...4617&st=141

swarapriya
Pinjre Ke Panchhi (1965)

Songs from this album are uploaded in this same directory and can be accessed from the following location ...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry653187

swarapriya
Purnima (1965)

Gulzar wrote a couple of songs for this movie. One of them was a huge hit, the song "Humsafar Mere Humsafar". Here is this and other songs, mostly by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you ...
swarapriya
Biwi Aur Makan (1966)

Gulzarji wrote lyrics for all of the songs for this movie. Hemantda was the music director. Untypical of Hemantda, he used multiple singers in most of the songs. There are some less familiar voices, at least for me. Like Joginder Singh, Jayant Mukherjee, Ghulam Mohammed, and Bula Gupta.

I will upload these songs in back-to-back two posts. Here is the first set ...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs of "Biwi aur Makan (1966)" ...

Here are the rest of the songs from this album, all solos ...
akbaralibhai
Thank you very much Swarapriya for Biwi Aur Makan, it has one of my favourite song Jaane Kahaan Dekha Hai.
suhana_safar
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Mar 22 2010, 10:45 AM) *

Thank you very much Swarapriya for Biwi Aur Makan, it has one of my favourite song Jaane Kahaan Dekha Hai.

It is not only a song but an epic, a vocal masterpiece, another example of the unmatched singing quality of Rafisaab. A song with several alaaps and moods, no other mortal could achieve this result. The vocal range is second to none and hear how Rafisaab's vocals ecel and sound so melodious at various vocal ranges.
swarapriya
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Mar 21 2010, 10:15 PM) *

You're welcome, Akbaralibhai. Cheers. -S

swarapriya
QUOTE(suhana_safar @ Mar 22 2010, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Mar 22 2010, 10:45 AM) *

It is not only a song but an epic, a vocal masterpiece, another example of the unmatched singing quality of Rafisaab. A song with several alaaps and moods, no other mortal could achieve this result. The vocal range is second to none and hear how Rafisaab's vocals ecel and sound so melodious at various vocal ranges.

SS, your eloquence is vey well justified. Indeed it is one of Rafi Saab's great songs. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
Sannata (1966)

This is another of Hemantda's album for which Gulzarji wrote lyrics for all of the songs. The standout song of the album is the dual version of "Bas Ek Chupi Si Lagi Hai". I am particularly fond of Hemantda's version.

Here are the songs ...
swarapriya
Shagird (1967)

Gulzarji wrote dialogues for this movie. This album has several nice and popular songs. Both solos by Lata and her duets with Rafi Saab are winners. I am uploading these songs in back-to-bck two posts. Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs of "Shagird (1967)" ...

Here are the rest of the songs from this album. The extended version of "Woh Hai Zara Khafa" is by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you.

Now for the songs ...
Bhavita

Thank you for this thread. I rever Gulzarj, have loved all of his fine and sensitive poetry, lyrics, films, stories

No words would be sufficient to decribe verstatile Gulzarji's ingenious contributions. While you have covered it all so beautufully here, I feel Gulzarji's short stories also should be mentioned. Seema and Other Stories, Ravi Paar and Other Stories... Heart rending, touching a chord in every story he weaves.
swarapriya
QUOTE(Bhavita @ Mar 28 2010, 04:26 AM) *

Thank you for this thread. I rever Gulzarj, have loved all of his fine and sensitive poetry, lyrics, films, stories

No words would be sufficient to decribe verstatile Gulzarji's ingenious contributions. While you have covered it all so beautufully here, I feel Gulzarji's short stories also should be mentioned. Seema and Other Stories, Ravi Paar and Other Stories... Heart rending, touching a chord in every story he weaves.

Thanks Bhavita.

Gulzarji, a multi-faceted genius he is, has been prolific with many creative contributions in several areas related to literature and entertainment. I must admit that I haven't read any of his stories. How do we bring this subject into this type of thread here? May be you can post something about these stories, right in this thread. With this message, I am extendng an invitation to other members to share their reflections about the stories of Gulzarji here.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
Aashirwad (1968)

This album brings back Ashok Kumar as a singer. Like many other artistes of his time, in the begnning of his career Dadamoni used to sing his own songs. In this album he sang five songs including two solos.

Gulzarji wrote dialogues for the film. He also wrote lyrics for five songs. I will upload all songs from the original sound track album in back-to-back two posts. Here is the first set ...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Aashirwad (1968)" ...

Here are the rest of the songs from this fine album ...
swarapriya
My many thanks to admin folks for moving this thread to this directory from the "Legendary Lyricists" directory.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
Do Dooni Chaar (1968)

Bimal Roy produced this movie that was based on Shakespeare's "Comedy of Errors". It was later remade by Gulzar in 1982 as "Angoor" and again in 1998 as "Bade Miyan Chhote Miyan". Gulzar wrote all the songs for this movie. This album has one of my favorite songs of Kishoreda, "Hawaaon Pe Likh Do", a real beauty.

Now for the songs ...
akbaralibhai
Thank you very much Swarapriya for Do Dooni Char, indeed Kishoreda's "Hawaaon Pe Likhde" is a real beauty.
HarshBhatt
Thanks Swarapriya for starting a thread dedicated to work of Gulzar.

Waiting for more albums.

Good Luck

swarapriya
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Apr 4 2010, 04:34 PM) *

Thank you very much Swarapriya for Do Dooni Char, indeed Kishoreda's "Hawaaon Pe Likhde" is a real beauty.

You're very welcome Akbaralibhai. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(HarshBhatt @ Apr 4 2010, 06:00 PM) *

Thanks Swarapriya for starting a thread dedicated to work of Gulzar.

Waiting for more albums.

Good Luck

Good to hear from you Harshji. Hopefully in due course we will be able to share all of his albums.
Cheers. -S
swarapriya
Rahgir (1968)

Here is another one of my favorite albums of the incomparable Hemantda. He sang three solos in this film, "Janam Se Banjaara", "Kabhi Ruk Gaye Hain", and "Tumhaare Nain Dekh Ke". They all sparkle like a sunlit lake in the early morning breeze. On the top of it he was immensely helped here with some beautiful lyrics penned by Gulzar Saab. The album also boasts two beautiful solos by Lata, "Bairi Aanchar" and "Mitwa Re". Most of the songs from this album follow the same trend indeed ...

I am uploading these songs in back-to-back two posts. Let me share these pleasures of lovely music experience starting with this first post ...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Rahgir (1968)" ...

Concluding songs from this beautiful album ...
swarapriya
Sunghursh (1968)

This was the 15th and the last movie Naushadji was asociated with a Dilip Kumar film. It started in 1948 with "Mela" and continued for the next 20 years that ended in 1968. 20 years. Some wonderful music was contributed by the team of Naushajdi & Dilip Kumar, with mostly Shakeel Badayuni as the lyricist, during this time.

For Dilip Saab, during the phase that began with "Aadmi (1968)", some of his movies were commercially "unsuccessful." He followed "Sunghursh" and "Aadmi" both released in 1968, with "Gopi (1970)", "Dastan (1972)", "Sagina (1974)", and "Bairaag (1976)". All commercially failed products. He took a sabbatical from acting for next five years after this, and revived his career once again with Manoj Kumar's "Kranti (1981)".

Naushadji, after 1968, never collaborated with Dilip Saab in any other movie in the next 37 years he lived. But even during this time, he took only limited assignments. He provided music for just 10 movies during that time.

Gulzarji wrote dialogues for the movie.

This movie has some fine songs in it. It has seven songs, all solos. There are three solos each by Lata and Rafi Saab, and one by Asha. Rafi Saab's "Mere Pairon Mein" and Asha's "Tasveer-E-Mohabbat" are standout of this album.

Here are the details of the songs of "Sunghursh (1968)" and the songs themselves ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.