Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asha Parekh
Hamara Forums > Films > Bollywood
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Parekh walks down the memory lane

By Screen Weekly, March 2, 2009 - 09:07 IST

Dancing from the cradle

Born on October 2, 1942 in a middle-class family, Asha Parekh wouldn't have had a normal and safe birth but for her maternal uncle. Her mother Sudha, a social worker of repute, was participating in a rally connected to the Quit India Movement on that day. So engrossed was she that she had overlooked that she was very much in the family way. It was her brother who forced Sudha to return home. That same night, baby Asha was born.

Baby Asha was exposed to dance from a very early age; her mother taking keen interest in honing her darling daughter's dancing skills. Whenever film music used to play in the neighbourhood, baby Asha used to come to her feet and dance. "Seeing my interest in the fine arts, my mother thought it best to get me trained in one of the disciplines of Indian classical dance, and on the insistence of the late actor Premnath, a family friend, I was kept under the tutelage of a trained Kathak dancer, the late Mohanlal Pandey," recalls the actress.

The tryst with celluloid
Once after watching her perform for a school function, the late Bimal Roy, offered her a small role in his film Baap Beti that featured Ranjan, Nalini Jaywant and Baby Tabassum. But after that, Asha continued with her schooling until Vijay Bhatt, in his endeavour to launch a new girl in Goonj Uthi Shehnai approached Asha Parekh. But as luck would have it, Parekh was rejected because she was no star material according to Bhatt. The role later went to Ameeta.

After two days, Parekh received a call from Sashadhar Mukerji for an appointment. "Director Nasir Husain took a small screen test after which I was selected for the lead role in Dil Deke Dekho opposite Shammi Kapoor. "I remember it was on my 17th birthday that the film was released in 1959 at the Novelty theatre in Mumbai." After that there was no looking back for Parekh.

Lady Lucky
Asha Parekh's contribution to Hindi films was pioneering a new type of heroine who became the prototype for the next decade - she was the incandescent girlfriend of the hero who first detested and hated him and breathed fire. Later, she became his loyal woman and remained so. The Asha Parekh model was followed later by several heroines like Mumtaz, Sharmila Tagore, Saira Banu, Babita and many more.

Asha's firm grip on Kathak gave her an edge and inspired superb dances and songs in a school different from the Bharatanatyam-based South belles who were ruling till then - Vyjayantimala, Waheeda Rehman and Padmini. In the '60s and early '70s before she switched to character roles, she had an amazing hit-streak with jubilees galore in Aan Milo Sajan, Aye Din Bahar Ke, Aaya Sawan Jhoom Ke, Bharosa, Caravan, Dil Deke Dekho, Do Badan, Gharana, Jab Pyar Kisise Hota Hai, Kati Patang, Love In Tokyo, Mera Gaon Mera Desh, Mere Sanam, Meri Soorat Teri Ankhen, Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Pyar Ka Mausam, Sajan, Shikar, Upkar, Ziddi and Heera.

Due to her commercial success, Asha was never considered a serious actress, but whenever she got the opportunity, she came up trumps with award-worthy portrayals in Kati Patang, Chirag and Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki.

Honours and achievements
Side-by-side Asha Parekh honed up her dancing skills from Gopi Krishna and also from Pt. Birju Maharaj. Later she produced three ballets namely Chaula Devi, Anarkali and Image Of India (at the Sydney Festival where there were several representations from across the world). "I feel proud to state that I was the first woman who represented India at the Lincoln Theatre in New York," says an elated Parekh. Not to be alienated from her mother-tongue, Parekh acted in two Gujarati films at the height of her career - Akhand Saubhagyavati and Kulvadhu Chandan. Parekh has also featured in two Punjabi films and one film in Kannada.

Asha Parekh also functioned as a distributor for 13-14 years under the name of Movie Gem. She was also a theatre owner for a brief 6-8 months and has been president of CINTAA, an industry association for a long period of six years, besides being the trustee and treasurer of the Cine Artistes' Welfare Trust. Parekh has been credited as the first woman to serve as the chief of the censor board. From the last decade she produced and directed television serials like Jyoti (Gujarati), Baaje Payal - a major hit on Doordarshan, Dal Mein Kala, Kora Kagaz, Kangan and Kuch Pal Saath. Right now connected with the Film Industry Welfare Trust, her attention is also taken up by the now-famous Asha Parekh Hospital. "The hospital that was under a lock-out for the last 14 months will start functioning from the first week of April," says Asha happily.

Asha Parekh has several good friends. Topping the list is yesteryear actress Shammi. "After my mother's death in 1990, Shammi has been like a mother figure to me. Waheeda Rehman is another great friend. I always look up to her for her warm-heartedness. I have great regards for Nanda - I admire her will-power and mental strength for the manner she faced all the turmoil in life very bravely." she says.

Asha Parekh has had a fulfilling innings and lives a happy and a satisfied life today. "I am free from the arclights yet I am all for the industry," she concludes.

My Hero!

Shammi Kapoor:
Asha Parekh's favourite co-star as of date remains her first hero Shammi Kapoor. "He taught me many aspects of acting, including lip-synching in the taking of songs. From among my associates Shammi was the first person who was very kind and caring to me then - and is so today as well."

Sunil Dutt:
Asha was also very fond of Sunil Dutt. "Duttsaab was very fond of making tea and in his company, I started consuming three to four cups of tea. He was a fine person with a good heart. I remember we were shooting at Bhandardara Dam. We were travelling separately to the location. But my car broke down and I was stuck in the forest wondering what to do next and mobile-phones were not around then. Duttsaab reached the location first and was disturbed at not finding me there for a long time. Sensing trouble, Duttsaab took out his car, came looking for me and took me back to the location."

Rajendra Kumar:
Another co-star whom Parekh cannot forget is Rajendra Kumar. "He too was a fine, kind-hearted person. It was the time when both of us were shooting for Gharana at Vrindavan Gardens in Mysore. Naturally a huge crowd was there at the location. Someone among the crowd started making a pass at me. So angry was my co-star that he grabbed a big stick from somewhere, ran after the person and apprehended him to security people around."

Rajesh Khanna:
Rajesh Khanna started his acting career with Asha Parekh in Baharon Ke Sapne and then went on to do more films together. "He was a very fine actor and used to love having sweets. I remember we were shooting for Aan Milo Sajna. A good number of sweets were ordered for him. Playing a prank, some of us ate up all the sweets. And thereafter hell broke down and he kept fuming for a long period of time. That was great fun."

Dev Anand:
Asha Parekh still remains in awe of Dev Anand. "Even today, he is extremely energetic. When sitting across him I feel that I am elder to him!"

Raj Kapoor:
Parekh co-starred with Raj Kapoor in Chor Mandali, but unfortunately the film never released. "In this film I played his wife and I remember we were shooting an emotional scene. In between shots, Rajsaab used to resort to jokes and make fun of others. But when the shot was ready, he would switch back to the character and essay the emotions to perfection. And this is a rare quality."

Dharmendra:
Dharmendra, with whom Asha Parekh acted in many hits remains a good friend. "He had a quick temper. Once, to tease him, I told one of the assistants to address him as 'Dharam uncle'. He got very angry but cooled down soon. The very next day, he asked a unit member to call me 'Asha Aunty'. Such nok-jhoks were common when we were shooting together."

Biswajeet:
Parekh did two films with Biswajeet. "He was full of life and mischief. I remember when we were shooting for Mere Sanam, he played a prank on the entire unit by making them take purgative tablets to their dismay!"

Joy Mukerji:
Recalls Asha Parekh, "A very good artiste, Mukerji was very hard-working and a strict disciplinarian. Till he was satisfied with a shot, he would ask for retakes."

Manoj Kumar:
Asha Parekh pays a different kind of compliment to Manoj Kumar. She worked with him in his film Upkar. "I found Manoj Kumar to be a very intelligent person who wrote beautifully. His direction had a class appeal and the way he used to take shots was just fantastic. He had great vision too. I wish he writes books and publishes them."

Dilip Kumar:
"I am indeed sorry that I couldn't work with Dilipsaab," rues Parekh. "Nasirsaab had announced a film that never took off."

Screen India
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Parekh puts Santacruz hospital back on its feet

16 months after striking employees forced BCJ General Hospital to shut down, trustees announce that it will resume services from April

By Santosh Andhale
Posted On Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 02:54:16 AM

One of the city’s oldest hospitals, the BCJ General Hospital in Santacruz - more popularly known as the Asha Parekh Hospital - is set to reopen soon.

The hospital was forced to shut down in 2007 following strikes and labour problems. But trustees at the hospital have announced that they will hold it’s reopening function on Saturday. However, the hospital will be thrown open to the public only from the second week of April.

The hospital was shut down on November 8, 2007. At the time it housed 120 beds, employed around 220 people and had about 300 patients visiting it daily. But after employees went on a strike demanding salary hikes and the reinstatement of five staff members who had been dismissed for misbehaviour, it was forced to shut down. The hospital was among the few in the city that offered medical aid to patients at affordable rates.

It was yesteryear actress Asha Parekh, one of the trustees at the hospital, who took the initiative to reopen it along with other trustees.

Five months ago, most of the non medial staff were offered voluntary retirement schemes and new staff was recruited, including doctors.

“We are very happy as the hospital will open again on March 28 and will be open to the public from April 10, tentatively,” said Suketu Shah, CEO of BCJ General Hospital.

Sharmila-Sweet

Press Trust of India
Saturday, November 28, 2009 (Panaji)

Veteran actress Asha Parekh, who ruled the Hindi film industry in the 60s and 70s, has worked with almost all the stars of that time but she consciously stayed away from one actor, superstar Dilip Kumar.

Parekh, who is known for her frank and forthright attitude, said that she refused to be cast with Kumar because of the simple fact that she did not like him.

When asked that why the audience did not see the two actors romancing onscreen, Parekh said, "Who I don't like I don't work with."

The 67-year-old actress is being felicitated for completing 50 years in the film industry at the ongoing 40th International Film Festival of India (IFFI).

She started her career as a child artiste under the screen name Baby Asha Parekh in the film Aasmaan in 1952.

Thereafter noted filmmaker Bimal Roy saw her dance at a stage function and cast her at the tender age of twelve in Baap Beti 1954.

Parekh's first lead role was in 1959 Dil Deke Dekho with Shammi Kapoor after which never she looked back.

Since then she has worked the biggest names of the tinsel town like Dev Anand, Rajesh Khanna, Shashi Kapoor, Jitendra, Manoj Kumar and Dharmendra to name a few.

The actress has been given special golden jubilee retrospective in the IFFI this year, which saw screening of two her films Dil Deke Dekho and Kati Patang.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.