Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peenaz Masani
Hamara Forums > Music > Ghazals, Nazms and Geet
Pages: 1, 2, 3
swarapriya
Peenaz Masani

Apparently Peenaz didn’t even knew Urdu that well when she decided to be a ghazal singer. But since 1981, when she entered the ghazal field, she churned out nearly 30 albums to her credit, averaging little over a one a year. She cut ghazal albums, pop albums, sang in movies, and toured the world either giving concerts or as a goodwill ambassador in behalf of the Government of India. She sang in10 different languages.

She had three gold discs and a platinum disc. She was most recently awarded Padma Shri (last month) by the Government of India. The government of UP bestowed her with the title of “Shehzadi Tarannum” in recognition of her ghazal singing. In India alone she gave over 500 solo performances. In 1992 a book of her ghazals was published.

Here is her discography (this may not be complete).

In the next few weeks we will explore Peenaz’s albums. I am starting this thread at Erum Hashmi’s suggestion. Because I have only a limited number of albums, she will be contributing to this thread as well. If anyone can forward by uploading some of her albums, you are very much welcome to do so. I will let you know when I run out of albums.

swarapriya
Dhadkan

Here is my first album of ghazals of Peenaz Masani. There are eight ghazals in this album and there are some really beautiful ones. Because of the length of these ghazals I will be uploading them in two installments one right after the other. I am missing names of few lyricists. If anyone can supply the names, it will be great.

Here is a description of the first four ghazals and ghazals themselves ...
swarapriya
Ghazals Of "Dhadkan" Continued ...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this album...
smodkid
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Feb 1 2009, 03:54 PM) *

Thanks SP ji for starting another wonderful thread.
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Feb 2 2009, 02:01 AM) *
Peenaz Masani

Apparently Peenaz didn’t even knew Urdu that well when she decided to be a ghazal singer. But since 1981, when she entered the ghazal field, she churned out nearly 30 albums to her credit, averaging little over a one a year. She cut ghazal albums, pop albums, sang in movies, and toured the world either giving concerts or as a goodwill ambassador in behalf of the Government of India. She sang in10 different languages.

She had three gold discs and a platinum disc. She was most recently awarded Padma Shri (last month) by the Government of India. The government of UP bestowed her with the title of “Shehzadi Tarannum” in recognition of her ghazal singing. In India alone she gave over 500 solo performances. In 1992 a book of her ghazals was published.

In the next few weeks we will explore Peenaz’s albums. I am starting this thread at Erum Hashmi’s suggestion. Because I have only a limited number of albums, she will be contributing to this thread as well. If anyone can forward by uploading some of her albums, you are very much welcome to do so. I will let you know when I run out of albums.

Thank you so much, Swarapriya for starting such a nice thread on my request!!!!
I wish a great success to this thread of yours' too, like your earlier threads!
Please let me know, when you're finished with all your uploads of Peenaz, I'll start uploading balance albums!

Here's the complete listing of the lyricists of each track:

SHOLA NAHEEN HOTAA--IBRAHIM ASHK
MERE DIL DHADAKNE KAA--IBRAHIM ASHK
PHOOL SITAARE DARIYAA--MUMTAZ RAASHID
PAIR KE GHUNGHROO--MUMTAZ RAASHID
PHIR DAAMAN-E-UMMEED--MUSHTAQ AHMAD KHAYAAL
HUM MACHAL MACHAL GAYE--IBRAHIM ASHK
PHOOL RAAHON PE--MUMTAZ RAASHID
YE DUNIYAA YE AALAM--IBRAHIM ASHK
She sang in10 different languages

Please give details.

Erum Hashmi
"KHOTE DEWANE" is not a separate album, its a track from album LAKEEREIN!

CHANNEL HITS--II is compilation of pop songs from different singers, containing only one song from Penaz's DIL MEIN AANKHON MEIN!
"YUN UNKI BAZM MEIN"--Is it an album of compilation of ghazals of Penaz?
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Feb 2 2009, 02:15 AM) *

She sang in10 different languages

Please give details.

Thanks Erum.

Thanks also for the lyricist names.

Couple of articles on the Internet say that Masani has sung in 10 different languages other than Urdu. But they didn't give any particulars. So I am not much of help here.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Feb 2 2009, 02:42 AM) *

"KHOTE DEWANE" is not a separate album, its a track from album LAKEEREIN!

CHANNEL HITS--II is compilation of pop songs from different singers, containing only one song from Penaz's DIL MEIN AANKHON MEIN!
"YUN UNKI BAZM MEIN"--Is it an album of compilation of ghazals of Penaz?

Thanks for this added information. Again, I am not certain whether "Bazm" is an album or just a track. Further exploration may clarify this.
swarapriya
QUOTE(smodkid @ Feb 1 2009, 06:12 PM) *

Thanks SP ji for starting another wonderful thread.

You're very welcome indeed. Cheers.
swarapriya
Aap Ki Bazm Mein

There are eight delightful ghazals in this album. I will load them in two installments. Here are the first four ghazals from this album...
swarapriya
Ghazals From "Aap Ki Bazm Mein" Continued ...

Here are the last four ghazals from this album ...
rpnawani
Dear Swarpriya ji,

Thank you for uploading the exceellent ghazals.

rpnawani

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Feb 8 2009, 06:43 AM) *

Aap Ki Bazm Mein

There are eight delightful ghazals in this album. I will load them in two installments. Here are the first four ghazals from this album...

Erum Hashmi
Thanks, SP!! Aap Ki Bazm mein was the first solo album of Ghazals by Penaz Masani!!!
swarapriya
Mohabbat Ke Saagar

What more one can ask for a Valentine's Day other than the gift of these beautiful ghazals from "Mohabbat Ke Saagar"?
swarapriya
Ghazals From "Mohabbat Ke Saagar" Continued ...

Here are the last two ghazals as a Valentine's Day gift ...
swarapriya
Pooja Ke Phool

Here is a different sort of album from Peenaz. These are devotional songs. Peenaz made early in her career two devotional albums; "Pooja Ke Phool" and "Prabhu Ka Dhyan". Both albums were released by Universal. Not wanted to be branded, Peenaz decided to diversify and actually never made another devotional album besides these two.

The "Pooja Ke Phool" album I have has eight geets. Because of their lengths, I will upload them in two postings, one immediately after another. A friend of mine tells me that the original "Pooja Ke Phool" album had 10 geets. If so I am missing two. I don't have them, but if anyone of the members have, please kindly share. These two geets are:

1. Janam Janam Ke Punya
2. Kyon Bhoola Hari Naam

Also, I do not have information on the names of the lyricists of any of these geets. If anyone of you have, please kindly share with us.

Now for the first four geets from this album ...
swarapriya
Geets From "Pooja Ke Phool" Continued ...

Here are rest of the geets from this album ...
swarapriya
Nasha Vol. 1

This is a 2-CD album. Both CDs contains six ghazals each. I will upload the first CD here and the second one in a few days. Here is a description of these ghazals and the ghazals themselves ...
Erum Hashmi
Thanks, SP!
shish
A Team Come True

Click to view attachment

Aapse Dosti Ho Gai Hai -
4.11Mb, 4:41 Mins, 128 Kbps
Talat Aziz & Peenaz Masani
Click to view attachment

Ab Na Jao
5.04 Mb, 5:42 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

Yeh Bahar Keh Rahi Hai
6.23 Mb, 6:50 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

Dil E Nadaan Tujhe
4.03 Mb, 4:35 Mins, 128 kbps
Peenaz Masani
Click to view attachment
shish
A Team Come True ......Cont.

Mujhe Khat Likhna
Peenaz Masani
4:26 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

Meri Aankhon Mein Dekhke Tare
Talat Aziz
4:49 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

Rut Aaj Suhani Hai
6:39 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

Tumhari Mohabbat Bahut
4:90 Mins, 128 Kbps
Click to view attachment

shish
A Team Come True

Mere Khayal Ki
Talat Aziz
4:23 Mins, 128 Kbps
Talat Aziz
Click to view attachment
Erum Hashmi
Thank you so much, Shish for "A TEAM COME TRUE"!
'll download shortly! smile.gif
I lost all the previous uploads by Swarapriya due to my system crash! sad.gif sad.gif
swarapriya
QUOTE(shish @ Mar 2 2009, 09:00 AM) *

A Team Come True

You've eased up my work with these uploads. Cheers. -Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Mar 2 2009, 09:11 AM) *

I lost all the previous uploads by Swarapriya due to my system crash! sad.gif sad.gif

Erum, let me know what you want and I can email them to you. Cheers. -S
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Mar 2 2009, 11:55 PM) *
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Mar 2 2009, 09:11 AM) *

Erum, let me know what you want and I can email them to you. Cheers. -S

Its so nice of you, SP! smile.gif

shish
Thanks Erum Ji and Swarapriya Ji. Hope I have not intruded here!!!!!

Shishma.
swarapriya
QUOTE(shish @ Mar 3 2009, 10:49 AM) *

Thanks Erum Ji and Swarapriya Ji. Hope I have not intruded here!!!!!

Shishma.

Shishma ji,

This Forum is for sharing songs. I am happy that you were able to contribute to this thread. In the future, if you have any more of Peenaz's albums, please do not hesitate to share with us.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
Nasha Vol. 2

This is the second CD of this album. Details of the geets are given below ...

Erum Hashmi
Thanks for NASHA, SP!
swarapriya
The Best Of Ghazals

These ghazals appear in the series on "The Best Of Ghazals-2". This is a set of five compact discs populated with the ghazals of various singers. Disc 1 contains 10 ghazals of Peenaz. Disc 2 contains 11 ghazals of Nina & Rajendra Mehta. Disc 3 contains ghazals by Chandan Dass (2 ghazals), Ashok Khosla (3 ghazals), Harendra Khurana (2 ghazals), and Peenaz (2 ghazals). Disc 4 contains 11 ghazals of Salma Agha. Finally, Disc 5 contains six ghazals of Pankaj Udhas. Peenaz has altogether 12 ghazals in these discs.

I am uploading all 12 ghazals in two separate postings of six each. Here is a description of the first six ghazlas and the ghazals themselves ...
swarapriya
The Best Of Ghazals Continued ...

Here are six more ghazals of Peenaz from this album ...
hildebrand
Discovered your wonderful thread now. bow.gif clap2.gif
Wonderful uploads.
Would be nice to listen to the Salma Agha Ghazals as well on a separate thread.
swarapriya
Tu Hi Mera Dil Tu Hi Meri Jaan (1988)

Here is a pop album Peenaz did with the great O.P. Nayyar. There are eight songs in this album. I will upload them in two installments. Here are the first four songs ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Tu Hi Mera Dil Tu Hi Meri Jaan (1988)" Continued ...

Here are the last four songs from this album ...
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Mar 20 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Tu Hi Mera Dil Tu Hi Meri Jaan (1988)

Here is a pop album Peenaz did with the great O.P. Nayyar. There are eight songs in this album. I will upload them in two installments. Here are the first four songs ...

A beautiful album!

hildebrand
I also feel its better than his other two albums for Runa and Ashok.
jigri1
Thanks swarapriya !!! I do remember Peenaz'a rendition of Dil E Naadaan Tujhe Hua Kya Hai.. It used to come on Doordarshan so many years back .... smile1.gif
swarapriya
Thank you all for sharing some of your thoughts and observations. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
Lakeerein - A Pop Album

Here is a beautiful pop album by Peenaz. Almost all songs are a rollicking romp. Peenaz breathes so much "oomph" and life into these songs that they stay with you for a long time.

There are eight songs in this album. Here is their description and the first seven songs ...
swarapriya
Lakeerein Continued ...

Here is the last song from this album. Details are:

Song: Tum Chhedo Na
Singer: Peenaz Masani
Album: Lakeerein
Music: Shantanu Moitra
Lyrics: Sam Panchmukhi
Duration: 4:11
Type: MP3
Bit rate: 192 Kb/s
Source: CD

Erum Hashmi
A mast album...thanks, SP! biggrin.gif
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Mar 28 2009, 01:32 PM) *

A mast album...thanks, SP! biggrin.gif

Not only a mast album, but for Peenaz lovers a "must" album. Cheers Erum.
hildebrand
Thanks SP for the upload.
Nice to see some old work of Shantanu Moitra. smile.gif
swarapriya
Life Story Vol. 1

Peenaz was fortunate to have a guru in Madhurani. Under her Peenaz learned ghazal singing skills. It is fascinating that Madhurani never attained recognition or fame apparently everyone in the ghazal singing field felt she deserved. She was a close associate and disciple of Begum Akhtar. She travelled on her concert tours extensively. In an inteview the famous ghazal singer Jagjit Singh says she was his colleague and he always thought that she was a superior singer and her work reflected excellence. He regretted that she never made it to the top.

Name of Madhurani is so obscure that it is difficult to find much about her work except she has one album called "Intezaar". It has an introduction by Dilip Kumar. I happen to have three of the ghazals from this album. I can share them if someone is interested. Searching for her filmwork turns out that she sang only for one movie, "Alaap" in 1977, for the great maestro Jaidev. She sang two songs in that movie; "Nai Ri Lagan" (3 min 56 secs) with Faiyyaz & Yesudas and the second song was "Mata Saraswati Sharada" (3 min 29 secs) with Dilraj Kaur & Yesudas as cosingers.

Peenaz's "Life Story" consists of 20 songs. Most of these appeared in other albums. I will present them in four installments based on the music directors. I will present them separated by few days. This first set consists of six ghazals for which music was composed by Peenaz's guru Madhurani. Here is a description of these ghazals and the ghazals themselves ...
swarapriya
Life Story Vol. 2

Here is the second part of the ghazals from this album. All of these ghazals were composed by Pillu D. Masani. I am not sure whether this Masani is in anyway related to Peenaz. I couldn't find any information about Pillu. I will be happy to learn anything about this music director from our members.

There are five ghazals in this part. Here they are ...
bawlachintu
Great thread. Peenaz-a name known for effortless singing.
swarapriya
QUOTE(bawlachintu @ Apr 12 2009, 12:17 PM) *

Great thread. Peenaz-a name known for effortless singing.

Great observation about her singing.
jeewon
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Feb 2 2009, 02:24 AM) *

Thanx for this Ghazals.
hildebrand
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 13 2009, 12:41 AM) *

Life Story Vol. 2

Here is the second part of the ghazals from this album. All of these ghazals were composed by Pillu D. Masani. I am not sure whether this Masani is in anyway related to Peenaz. I couldn't find any information about Pillu. I will be happy to learn anything about this music director from our members.

There are five ghazals in this part. Here they are ...

I found an interview of Peenaz ji online. In one question she answers the following to how she got her name:-

CODE

What's the meaning of your name? When is your birthday? Are you still single?
Penaz Masani > My mothers name is Pillu and sister is called Nazneen. So P from Pillu and Naz from Nazneen and what do you get? Penaz! My birthday is on 23 June. I am still footloose and fancy free.

It appears to me that both name and surname can't be coincidence. This music director must be her mother. The initial D must be her father's name which she also mentions as part of the interview.

CODE

Penaz, what made you take up   ghazal   singing? And how did you develop an interest in Hindi music?
Penaz Masani > My guru Madhuraniji, it's her voice and her style of music that attracted me towards this beautiful art form and that's how I cut my first album in 1981. By the way, music has been in my family. My father is a classical musician (Doli Masani) and I got the inclination of music through him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.