Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geeta Dutt And Helen...
Hamara Forums > Legends > Geeta Dutt
Pages: 1, 2
parag_sankla
Its a well known fact that Asha ji sang maximum number of songs filmed on the famous actress dancer Helen. It seems that some of Geeta ji's songs are filmed on the dancing diva Helen. The most famous one being "Mera naam chin chin choo" from Howrah Bridge.

While browsing youtube I happened to see the video of the song "Dil se dil takarayein" from the film Love Marriage. This song is filmed on Helen.

Are there more songs like these ??

Thanks
Parag
HumTum
Parag bhai I will check from my end too. smile.gif
hildebrand
This link mentions some Geeta songs and mentions helen as the actor. I don't know if it means picturisation also. http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hind...d/s/singer.283/
Do have a look at them and confirm.
hildebrand
Found this video also on youtube but audio not working for me. Don't know who's singing for whom?
It seems to be a geeta-lata duet from yahudi picturised on cuckoo and helen.
hildebrand
kahan chali re kahan chali (duet with rafi) from Pyar Ki Dastaan (I don't have the song though) seems to have been picturised on helen and mohan choti.
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Dec 29 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Found this video also on youtube but audio not working for me. Don't know who's singing for whom?
It seems to be a geeta-lata duet from yahudi picturised on cuckoo and helen.

Yes, its Geeta ji singing for young Helen in the song "Bechain dil khoyi si nazar" from Yahudi

Cheers
Parag
HumTum
Night Club Club 1958 --- music by Madan Mohan --- lyrics by Majrooh

Kahan Phir Hum Kahan...

HumTum
Aab-e-hayat 1955 --- music by Sardar Malik --- lyrics by Hasrat Jaipuri

Maara Re Maara..

HumTum
Bedard Zamana Kya Jaane 1959 --- music by Kalyanji Virji Shah --- lyrics by Bharat Vyas

Unchhi Neechi
--- with Rafi sahab

HumTum
12 O Clock 1958 --- music by O.P. Nayyar --- lyrics by Majrooh

Arey Tauba Yeh Teri Ada

parag_sankla
QUOTE(HumTum @ Dec 29 2008, 09:52 AM) *

Parag bhai I will check from my end too. smile.gif

HT bhai, many thanks for your initiative. Lets make a list of all these songs..

smile.gif

Best Regards
Parag
parag_sankla
So the list so far is

Mera naam chin chin choo - Howrah Bridge
Dil se dil takarayein - Love Marriage
kahan chali re kahan chali - Pyar Ki Dastaan
Bechain dil khoyi si nazar- Yahudi
Kahan Phir Hum Kahan - Night Club Club
Maara Re Maara - Aab-e-hayat
Oonchi edhi walon ne - Bedard Zamana Kya Jaane
Arey Tauba Yeh Teri Ada - 12 O Clock

Any more ??

parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Dec 29 2008, 09:59 AM) *

kahan chali re kahan chali (duet with rafi) from Pyar Ki Dastaan (I don't have the song though) seems to have been picturised on helen and mohan choti.

HB

I saw this song on youtube yesterday and the actress in the song is not Helen.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=XlUqFzZjxio&...feature=related

Parag
hildebrand
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jan 9 2009, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(hildebrand @ Dec 29 2008, 09:59 AM) *

HB

I saw this song on youtube yesterday and the actress in the song is not Helen.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=XlUqFzZjxio&...feature=related

Parag

The author of the webpage I read it on must have been mistaken then.

So the list reduces to:-

Mera naam chin chin choo - Howrah Bridge
Dil se dil takarayein - Love Marriage
Bechain dil khoyi si nazar- Yahudi
Kahan Phir Hum Kahan - Night Club Club
Maara Re Maara - Aab-e-hayat
Oonchi edhi walon ne - Bedard Zamana Kya Jaane
Arey Tauba Yeh Teri Ada - 12 O Clock
parag_sankla
Thanks HB,

so are there any more songs of Geeta ji filmed on Helen ?

Parag

hildebrand
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jan 12 2009, 09:52 AM) *

Thanks HB,

Parag

I discovered one more very great and wonderful song sung by Geeta ji for Helen today. I say discovered because I saw it for the first time today having loved its melody for long.

The song is none other than Aye Haaye Dilruba from Dr. Vidya. The song is set in an old students get together in the college. Helen and Vyjyanthimala have an argument. Then Helen breaks into this song. The song begins with Helen dancing to Geetaji's lovely voice. Vyjyanthimala joins later and Asha Bhosle sings for her!
A lovely song and dance is also great with them dancing in competition to each other!
parag_sankla
HB,

Thanks for this information. So the only ones who could "hear" this song were the lucky ones who watched it in the theater (or on VCD/DVD now). RPG should bring a compilation of such songs of Geeta ji.

Regards
Parag
hildebrand
Yes, that would be a good idea. But would RPG be interested in doing this?
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Jan 19 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks HB,

Parag

I discovered one more very great and wonderful song sung by Geeta ji for Helen today. I say discovered because I saw it for the first time today having loved its melody for long.

The song is none other than Aye Haaye Dilruba from Dr. Vidya. The song is set in an old students get together in the college. Helen and Vyjyanthimala have an argument. Then Helen breaks into this song. The song begins with Helen dancing to Geetaji's lovely voice. Vyjyanthimala joins later and Asha Bhosle sings for her!
A lovely song and dance is also great with them dancing in competition to each other!

HB,

It will be wonderful if you can (at your convenience) rip the video of this song and share with us. It will be a fun to watch this lovely 9 minute song.

smile.gif

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jan 21 2009, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(hildebrand @ Jan 19 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks HB,

Parag

HB,

It will be wonderful if you can (at your convenience) rip the video of this song and share with us. It will be a fun to watch this lovely 9 minute song.

smile.gif

Cheers
Parag

I have not done much of video editing before. I will try to do it after searching for software and procedures for it.
parag_sankla
Will be looking forward to it HB.

Take your time, no worries..

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
Thanks to forum members Erum ji, FP and Mahesh ji we have got information about a hindi song in a bengali film picturised on Helen and sung by Geeta ji.
Details as available are as follows:-
1959-gali theke rajpath-tere liye laya-md-sudhin dasgupta;ly-?

Its a lovely song. Its video has been uploaded by Erum ji and audio uploaded by FP.
More details on this thread: http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=70323

hildebrand
Saw a movie today which I've been wanting to see for a long time due to its lovely Geeta songs. Found two of them to be picturised on Helen. Any guess, which is the movie? Find out in the updated list below:-

1. Mera naam chin chin choo - Howrah Bridge
2. Dil se dil takarayein - Love Marriage
3. Bechain dil khoyi si nazar- Yahudi
4. Kahan Phir Hum Kahan - Night Club Club
5. Maara Re Maara - Aab-e-hayat
6. Oonchi edhi walon ne - Bedard Zamana Kya Jaane
7. Arey Tauba Yeh Teri Ada - 12 O Clock
8. Aaye Haaye Dilruba - Dr Vidya
9. Tere Liye Aaya Hai Le Ke Koi Dil - Gali Theke Rajpath (Bengali movie)
10. Ja Raha Hai Kyun Deewane - Passport
11. Tauba Tauba Tauba O Tauba Meri Maan - Passport
12. Majnu Ke Chhilke - O Tera Kya Kehna

As you would've guessed from the additions the movie is Passport. (The third Geeta song in the movie Nazar Ka Jhuk Jana is on another dancer. Can somebody guess who it is? My guess is its Lillian. )
I vaguely recall seeing Nau Do Gyarah years back in which helen had a song (probably her first proper dance song). Can somebody confirm that its Helen for whom Geeta ji sang in the song Kya Ho Jo Din Rangeela Ho?
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Feb 10 2009, 07:54 AM) *

I vaguely recall seeing Nau Do Gyarah years back in which helen had a song (probably her first proper dance song). Can somebody confirm that its Helen for whom Geeta ji sang in the song Kya Ho Jo Din Rangeela Ho?

Thanks to youtube, here is the video of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9n87SfsZSk

Geeta ji sings for Shashikala and Asha ji for Helen!

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
Thanks for the quick response Parag. I recalled the actresses and singers but didn't remember who sang for whom.
parag_sankla
You are most welcome HB.

You can always refer to this thread to see if that particular song is available on YT or not

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=511531

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Feb 10 2009, 11:19 PM) *

You are most welcome HB.

You can always refer to this thread to see if that particular song is available on YT or not

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=511531

Cheers
Parag

Yes, thats a good list. Infact, I had directly searched youtube already for the song. Due to some net issue youtube doesn't open very well for me (funny college net again?). So I generally download the songs. Was downloading it when your reply came! I should have guessed the answer before download itself since her other song See Le Zubaan was known to be picturised on Shashikala. (Thats an interesting Geeta song which forms most of the climax!).
hildebrand
Say isn't that helen in Majnu Ke chhilke?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5PGkq1fww...re=channel_page
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Feb 12 2009, 05:42 AM) *

Say isn't that helen in Majnu Ke chhilke?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5PGkq1fww...re=channel_page

Oh yes, that is Helen! One more song added to our list!

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
Updated the list. We now have 12 songs. They're no less in quality as compared to songs sung for helen by other singers.
Hope members will find others as well.
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Feb 12 2009, 11:55 AM) *

Updated the list. We now have 12 songs. They're no less in quality as compared to songs sung for helen by other singers.
Hope members will find others as well.

Many thanks HB for maintaining and updating the list. I never imagined that Geeta ji would have sung 12 songs (may be even more) songs for Helen. Great job. Keep it up.

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
You're most welcome Parag smile.gif
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Feb 10 2009, 08:54 AM) *

Myth : Only Asha Bhonsle sang great songs for the dancing diva Helen.

Fact : Geeta Dutt has sung not as many in number, but some really nice songs for Helen. One of the most popular song filmed on Helen (Mera naam chin chin choo) is sung by Geeta ji

Another myth-buster!

Thanks HB for this list!

Cheers
Parag
smahesh
i think songs from mr. india[1961] were also picturised on helen[dekha na jaye,mein machis ki teeli]

regards,
mahesh
hildebrand
Thanks for pointing out that mahesh ji!
Dekha Na Jaaye video is there on youtube and its definitely Helen there!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mud2sHNHFLQ ) Other song video isn't there however. That must be a really patakha video as well. It appears that Geeta ji was preferred voice for Helen till around 1961. It would be interesting to see how many songs Asha sang in the same period. Its of course well known that Helen's first hit which made her career was Mera Naam Chin Chin Choo and would be a reason for the preferred choice.

Updated list is as follows:-

13. Dekha Na Jaaye Socha Na Jaaye - Mr India
14. Main Machis Ki Teeli - Mr India

parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Mar 8 2009, 12:29 PM) *

It appears that Geeta ji was preferred voice for Helen till around 1961. It would be interesting to see how many songs Asha sang in the same period.

Good observation HB. Also another fact needs to be noted here. Helen was not on the scene when Geeta ji was in her real prime (1947-1951).

Parag
hildebrand
If one asks me her prime lasts till 1958.
parag_sankla
Oops..I meant to say "Helen was not on the scene during the subset of years 1947-1951 of real prime of Geeta ji's career."

Parag
parag_sankla
BTW, IMDB reports Aawaara (1951) as Helen's first film as chorus dancer (uncredited).

Parag
hildebrand
According to Helen's biography on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Richardson) Cukoo helped her get the chorus dancer jobs in Shabistan and Awara.
It would be interesting to see how many songs Geeta ji sang for Cukoo (other than Neele Asmaani). As you may be knowing Shamshad Begum was the voice associated with Cukoo.
parag_sankla
A "possible" list of films for which Geeta ji could have sung for Cuckoo

Vidya (1948)
Nishana (1950)
Shabistan (1951)
Stage (1951)
Aadhi Raat (1950)
Aahuti (1950)
Naujawan (1951)
Pyar Ki Baaten (1951)
Shahenshah (1953)
Lakeeren (1954)
Mr. & Mrs. '55 (1955)
Ustad (1957)
Sipahsalar (1956)

hildebrand
Mr and Mrs 55 we know the song. Senior members can tell about the others if she indeed sang for Cukoo.
hildebrand

HB,

smile.gif

Cheers
Parag

Uploading it with the relevant scene of their fight (Helen and Vyjanthimala) for perspective. This song is set up as a competition between the two to see who dances better. Its as much a competition of their dance skills as it is for the singing skills of the two singers. Both come up in flying colours although due to film reasons one has to be shown to lose but it is quite lamely done at the end.

Enjoy!

Aaye Haaye Dilruba Video
Dr Vidya (1962)
10:18
352x288
MPG format
parag_sankla
Excellent upload buddy. Made my day!

Cheers
Parag

hildebrand
Glad you like it Parag.

I have also uploaded it on youtube for others to enjoy without worrying about ratio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmcOPcaHkuU
parag_sankla
Found another one filmed on Helen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2OeCkNobVk

Bees Baras Tak Laakh Sambhala
Performer: Helen
Singer: Geeta Dutt
Music: Chitragupta
Lyrics: Rajendar Krishan
Film: Kangan, 1959
Starring: Nirupa Roy, Ashok Kumar, Purnima, Nasir Hussain, Bhagwan, Shammi, Nishi, Daisy Irani
parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Mar 20 2009, 12:53 PM) *

HB,

smile.gif

Cheers
Parag

Uploading it with the relevant scene of their fight (Helen and Vyjanthimala) for perspective. This song is set up as a competition between the two to see who dances better. Its as much a competition of their dance skills as it is for the singing skills of the two singers. Both come up in flying colours although due to film reasons one has to be shown to lose but it is quite lamely done at the end.
Enjoy!

Aaye Haaye Dilruba Video
Dr Vidya (1962)
10:18
352x288
MPG format

Very truely said HB. The heroine has to be shown as a winner, so without giving any logical reason/explanation VM is shown as the winner!

laugh.gif

Thanks for the video once again. Thoroughly enjoyed!

Cheers
Parag
hildebrand
Glad you liked the video Parag.
Logical explanation is there - she is heroine and they have to show that the traditional heroine is better than the 'modern' friend of hers! I think they call this bollywood stereotype! laugh.gif

Are you sure that's helen in Kangan?! I know the credit says so on youtube. The stylist/makeupman has tried to show her as the village belle with mixed effects.
parag_sankla
I do think its Helen in the song from Kangan. Even IMDB site says the same

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156683/fullcredits#cast

parag_sankla
QUOTE(hildebrand @ Mar 23 2009, 10:26 AM) *

Glad you liked the video Parag.
Logical explanation is there - she is heroine and they have to show that the traditional heroine is better than the 'modern' friend of hers! I think they call this bollywood stereotype! laugh.gif

Are you sure that's helen in Kangan?! I know the credit says so on youtube. The stylist/makeupman has tried to show her as the village belle with mixed effects.

IMHO the makeupman has done a decent job. She looks different than her typical club dancer looks.

laugh.gif

Cheers
Parag
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.