Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Naushadji & Dilip Kumar
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Music Directors > Naushad
Pages: 1, 2
swarapriya
Naushad Ali-Dilip Kumar Filmography

If simiplicity is charm, then we can describe Naushadji’s music as very charming. It seems like he has done so much with so few instruments. An exponent of Hindustani music, his compositions always tapped the huge reservoir of the traditional music resources. From his struggling days in Bombay to a major music maestro he maintained that simiplicity in approach to music all his life. He never deviated from this path.

In a span of 65 or so years in the film industry, he composed roughly 70 films. By any yardstick this is not a huge number. But each one of those films were a work of art and charm. In an interview circa 1982, Naushadji said, "In my 62 years in the film industry, I composed music for 66 films. These days, you come across people who have done the music 200 films in two years. What I'm saying is that, we used to agonise over every tune and phrase in music, spend sleepless nights over a song, and work on it until it was perfected. And I am still looking for perfection." That commitment to perfection, that devotion to creating a lasting melodious tune were Naushadji’s drivers in his professional career.

Naushadji was recognized with several awards during his lifetime. These include Padma Bhushan, Filmfare award for Baiju Bawra (1952), Dadasaheb Phalke award, and Sangeet Natya Academy award.

Naushadji had a special relationship with Dilip Kumar saab. Professionally he composed for 15 films in which Dilip Kumar starred. Most of them were blockbusters. All of them had that charming music that was hallmark of Naushadji.

I happen to have the CD collection of all these films with Naushadji as composer and Dilip Saab as the actor. As time permits, in the coming weeks, I will try to share this music with the Forum membership.

The filmography of Naushadji and Dilip Kumar Saab is given in the following table. I will try to upload albums in the chronological order as they appear in the table below.

swarapriya
Mela (1948)

Dilip Kumar was an up and coming star and Naushadji by this time was an already established legend. Shamshad Begum Saahiban handles most of the songs. The great Noor Jehan had a starring role in this movie but no songs.

All songs are from CD except the extended version of "Yeh Zindagi Ke Mele" is by the courtesy of the Forum members.

Now for details of the songs and songs themselves ...
swarapriya
Songs of Mela (1948) Continued ...

Now for the rest of the songs of "Mela (1948)" ....

parag_sankla
Swarapriya, this is another master thread from your "Alibaba ki Gufa" collection of gems, diamonds and platinum songs of golden oldies

Thank you..

Best Regards
Parag
Devje
MELA

100 % of the songs are superb ,beautiful , extra
swarapriya
Andaz (1949)

This was one of the great movies made by the magnificent late Mehboob Khan Saab. It starred both Raj Kapoor and Dilip Kumar for the only time if I am correct. The story goes that Mehboob Saab asked Nargis whom she will prefer to act as her husband in the movie, either Raj Kapoor or Dilip Kumar. She recommended Raj Kapoor. After the movie was released and became a stupendous success, Dilipji thought most of the adulation was being heaped on Raj Kapoor and not enough on him. So he decided not to act with Raj Kapoor again. After several years Rajji did go back to Dilipji asking him to act in his movie "Sangam" with him. But Dilip Saab remembering the "Andaz" days, politely declined. That role eventually went to Rajendra Kumar.

During the filiming of some of the songs for this movie Naushadji found that Lataji was still lacking good Urdu diction and proper delivery. Lataji was still very young and an upcoming singer with very very sweet voice. Her mother tongue being Marathi, she initially had problems with Urdu. The perfectioninst he was, Naushadji spent countless hours coaching Lataji how to sing some of these songs. This is more evident in the ghazal Lataji sings "Uthaye Ja Unke Sitam." Lataji took the cue and went on herself to study and master both Urdu and Hindi diction and delivery to become par with other ghazal singers of her time such as Begum Akhtar.

All songs I am uploading here are from a CD except the extended version of Mukeshji's "Jhoom Jhoom Ke Nacho Aaj." This is by the courtesy of the Forum members.

parag_sankla
One highlight of the songs is Mukesh ji gave playback to Dilipkumar and Rafi sahab gave playback to Raj Kapoor. All the 4 songs sung by Mukesh ji are superhit and still Naushad sahab rarely used Mukesh ji's voice in the coming years

Harjinder
Hi
Thanks for songs of these two enormously popular movies of the time.By the way I do not think Noor Jahan had any role in Mela.Munawwar Sultana was the other female actress with a major role in this movie.Harjinder
swarapriya
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 08:18 AM) *

One highlight of the songs is Mukesh ji gave playback to Dilipkumar and Rafi sahab gave playback to Raj Kapoor. All the 4 songs sung by Mukesh ji are superhit and still Naushad sahab rarely used Mukesh ji's voice in the coming years

Isn't that interesting? You're right. Did Rafi Saab ever sing for Raj Kapoor again? Mukesh did for Dilip Kumar. An immediate example is the song "Suhana Safar" in Bimal Roy's masterpiece, "Madhumati."

Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Harjinder @ Jun 6 2008, 08:29 AM) *

Hi
Thanks for songs of these two enormously popular movies of the time.By the way I do not think Noor Jahan had ay role in Mela.Munawwar Sultana was the other female actress with a major role in this movie.Harjinder

Harjinderji,

You probably are right. Yes, Munwwar Sultana is there. But I thought Noor Jahan was also present. I am not yet ready to concede. I know my memory is not what it used to be. I do have a DVD of the movie "Mela." I have to check it out myself to be convinced. Only thing is when will I have time to do it? Until then we will leave it this way and see if any other members can calrify the situation.

Thanks,
Swarapriya
parag_sankla
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 6 2008, 08:34 AM) *

Isn't that interesting? You're right. Did Rafi Saab ever sing for Raj Kapoor again? Mukesh did for Dilip Kumar. An immediate example is the song "Suhana Safar" in Bimal Roy's masterpiece, "Madhumati."

Swarapriya

One film which quickly comes to my mind is Jaali Note Do Ustaad starring Raj Kapoor and Madhubala. "Nazaronke teer maare kass kass kass..Ek nahin do nahin aanth nau dass..", MD was none other than rhythm king Omkar Prasad Nayyar !

wink.gif

I think any movie starring Raj Kapoor where music was given by OP, the songs will be sung by Rafi sahab. Rafi fans can come up with more names of films and songs where Rafi sahab gave playback to the showman.

Cheers
Parag
parag_sankla

Swarapriya

Incidentally, Talat sahab was supposed to sing this song. As he was not well, he recommended Mukesh's name to Salilda and Mukesh ji made that song an immortal melody. Such were nice people in that era !

Regards
Parag
swarapriya
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 10:03 AM) *

Swarapriya

One film which quickly comes to my mind is Jaali Note starring Raj Kapoor and Madhubala. "Nazaronke teer maare kass kass kass..Ek nahin do nahin aanth nau dass..", MD was none other than rhythm king Omkar Prasad Nayyar !

wink.gif

I think any movie starring Raj Kapoor where music was given by OP, the songs will be sung by Rafi sahab. Rafi fans can come up with more names of films and songs where Rafi sahab gave playback to the showman.

Cheers
Parag

No, Parag. "Jaali Note" sarred Dev Aanand and not Raj Kapoor. -Swarapriya
parag_sankla
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 6 2008, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 10:03 AM) *

Swarapriya

One film which quickly comes to my mind is Jaali Note starring Raj Kapoor and Madhubala. "Nazaronke teer maare kass kass kass..Ek nahin do nahin aanth nau dass..", MD was none other than rhythm king Omkar Prasad Nayyar !

wink.gif

Cheers
Parag

No, Parag. "Jaali Note" sarred Dev Aanand and not Raj Kapoor. -Swarapriya

Sorry, my bad. It was Do Ustaad with Nazaron ke teer maare !

Anupama
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 01:03 PM) *

Swarapriya

One film which quickly comes to my mind is Jaali Note Do Ustaad starring Raj Kapoor and Madhubala. "Nazaronke teer maare kass kass kass..Ek nahin do nahin aanth nau dass..", MD was none other than rhythm king Omkar Prasad Nayyar !

wink.gif

Cheers
Parag

Parag, I think Rafi Sahab has sung more than 20 songs for Raj Kapoor.

Daastan (1950)
Dhadak Dhadak Dil (Bhoopi)
Yeh Saawan Rut Tum Aur Hum

Amber (1952)
Dhoom Dhadka Laaya Hoon
Duniya Mein Nahin Koi Wafadaar
Hum Tum Yeh Bahaar
Rote Hain Naina
Shama Jali Parwaana Aaya
Chale Jaana Tum Door

Do Ustaad (1959)
Humpe Dil Aaya Toh Bolo
Rik Rik Tik Tik Tik
Ruk Ruk Kahan Chali
Tere Dil Ka Makaan
Tu Ladki Main Ladka
Worli Ka Naaka

Nazraana (1961)
Baazi Kisi Ne Pyaar Ki

Chhalia (1960)
Gali Gali Seeta Roye

Paapi (1953)
Tera Kaam Hai Jalna
Meri Zindagi Hai Tu

Barsaat (1949)
Main Zindagi Mein Hardum Rota

Ek Dil Sau Afsaane (1963)
Tum Hi Tum Ho Mere Jeevan Mein

Mera Naam Jokar (1970)
Sadke Heer Tujhpe

Nice thread Swarapriya! thumbs-up.gif

swarapriya
QUOTE(Anupama @ Jun 6 2008, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 01:03 PM) *

Swarapriya

wink.gif

Cheers
Parag

Parag, I think Rafi Sahab has sung more than 20 songs for Raj Kapoor.

Daastan (1950)
Dhadak Dhadak Dil (Bhoopi)
Yeh Saawan Rut Tum Aur Hum

Amber (1952)
Dhoom Dhadka Laaya Hoon
Duniya Mein Nahin Koi Wafadaar
Hum Tum Yeh Bahaar
Rote Hain Naina
Shama Jali Parwaana Aaya
Chale Jaana Tum Door

Do Ustaad (1959)
Humpe Dil Aaya Toh Bolo
Rik Rik Tik Tik Tik
Ruk Ruk Kahan Chali
Tere Dil Ka Makaan
Tu Ladki Main Ladka
Worli Ka Naaka

Nazraana (1961)
Baazi Kisi Ne Pyaar Ki

Chhalia (1960)
Gali Gali Seeta Roye

Paapi (1953)
Tera Kaam Hai Jalna
Meri Zindagi Hai Tu

Barsaat (1949)
Main Zindagi Mein Hardum Rota

Ek Dil Sau Afsaane (1963)
Tum Hi Tum Ho Mere Jeevan Mein

Mera Naam Jokar (1970)
Sadke Heer Tujhpe

Nice thread Swarapriya! thumbs-up.gif

Great share Anupamaji. I have admired your efforts in contributing countless albums to the Forum. Thank you for all of that.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
Babul (1950)

Here is another great musical from the combination of Naushad-Dilip Kumar-Shakeel Badayuni. This movie was a huge hit both musically as well as financially. With Naushadji at the helm, you can always count on some simple and sweet but great music.

Almost all songs are from a CD except a couple that were contributed by the Forum membership. One of them is the song by Talatji "Chhod Babul Ka Ghar (T)." The audio for this is not upto the quality of the rest of the songs.

Here are some details of the songs of "Babul (1950)" and the songs themselves ...
swarapriya
Songs of Babul (1950) Continued ...

Now for the rest of the songs from "Babul (1950)" ...

swarapriya
Deedar (1951)

Here is another perennial winner from Naushadji. Even after 57 years this music stays young and fresh in your minds and hearts. The movie boasted magnificent cast and was another boxoffice champ when it was released.

swarapriya
Aan (1952)

Here is another winner from early 50's. "Aan" was made on a grand scale by Mehboob Khan Saab. It was one of those first full length color movies. Dilip Saab, who played one tragic role after another until this movie, in a refreshingly welcome departure plays a lighter role. A great actor he is, this transformation from tragedy to comedy he does so effortlessly. He was absolutely entertaining as a swashbuckling hero.

In a book on Mehboob Saab, its author tells the fierce competition Mehboob Saab felt from young Raj Kapoor, the filmmaker. Remember that another great 1952 movie,"Awara"? The dream sequence picturized in that movie is still used as a yardstick even today for similar sequences in movies. For Mehboob Saab also, in a sense bigger was better. This time around it was "Aan".

Nargis was originally cast to play the leading lady in "Aan." But with Nargis firmly entrenched in Raj Kapoor's camp, was not easily available. So instead of waiting for her becoming free to act in his movie, Mehboob Saab went lookig for a new leading lady instead. He didn't need to go too far. He elected Nadira, his friend's daughter to be the leading lady.

"Aan" was a runaway hit. Nadira however, in her subsequent outings as an actress, never enjoyed the same sucess as she did for "Aan." She did make an occasional good movie, one notable being "Julie" that fetched her a best support actress award from Filmfare. Incidentally, Nadira was the first Bombay film personality to own a Rolls Royce.

All songs I am uploading are from a CD except the extended version of the song "Khelo Rang Hamare Sang." It is a contribution of the Forum members.

Now for details of songs and songs themselves ...

swarapriya
Songs Of Aan (1952) Continued ...

Now for the rest of the songs of "Aan (1952)" ...

Pratul
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 12 2008, 07:06 PM) *

Aan (1952)

It was one of those first full length color movies.

Swarpriya ji, had a question, was Aan a colour movie and still from 1952?

But, Wonderful uploads once again. Thanks smile.gif
YaarMere
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 12 2008, 02:40 PM) *

Aan (1952)

Witch: Jaan pyari nahi hai kya?

Dilip: Mujhe yeh rumaal zyaada pyara hai

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Funny stuff man.
swarapriya
QUOTE(Pratul @ Jun 12 2008, 06:43 AM) *

Aan (1952)

Yes Pratulji. Mehboob Khan Saab did everything in a grand style. This indeed was a full length color movie and it was made in 1952.

Swarapriya
swarapriya
Uran Khatola (1955)

This movie was loosely based on Frank Capra’s 1937 classic film “Lost Horizon.” The story of which was based on James Hilton’s best selling 1933 novel of the same name that was inspired by the real-life mountaineer George Leigh-Malloory who lost his life during a fatal climb of Mount Everest in 1924. The film also had some similarities with another English movie made in 1935 called “She” an adventure tale about a lost land.

The Hindi version of the movie had all the ingredients to make it a huge success. It was embellished by Naushadji’s great score and some spirited singing by Lataji and Rafi Saab. But what made this movie apart from others was the casting of T. Surya Kumari in the role of the queen. Surya Kumari, who bore the famous name of Tanguturi was a Telugu-speaking lady, who came from a rich and politically active and influential background.

Surya Kumari was a lady of elegance and style and stood tall with a very slender figure. She was bestowed with a beautiful voice and bcame popular singing patriotic songs even before she was 10 years old. Prakasam Pantulu, her uncle, was a a freedom fighter who defied British troops during the Indian independence struggle. She accompanied him to many political rallies where singing of songs by her were a major draw than the speeches given by politicians. She acted in her first movie when she was only 12 years, in a special part especially written for her to accommodate her singing talent.

All in all she acted in about 25 movies. In 1947, Shantaram who heard voice on a gramophone record, offered her to sing for the heroine of his film “Apna Desh.” Later she acted in the Hindi movie “Watan (1954).” By this time, she was crowned as Miss Madras and grown up to be a beautiful woman. Soon she was offered the role of the queen in “Uran Khatola.” The movie was a huge hit. It even fetched her a nomination for best supporting actress from Filmfare. However, she lost to Nirupa Roy for her performance in”Munimji.”

Surya Kumari spoke several languages including Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, English, Gujarati, and Sanskrit. She acted in only another Hindi movie (also made in English) called “Bombay Might 417” after “Uran Khatola.” That was the last of her movies. She did remain active participating and promoting Indian culture abroad. When in US as a member of a cultural organization, she met Alfred Hitchcock. Fairly impressed, Hitchcock offered her to work with him. She spent several years in US, working in background and assisting Hitchcock in production, and collaborated in producing several episodes of “Alfred Hitchcock presents …”. She also taught in New York city at Columbia University.

Later she moved to UK and met and married Harold Elvin, poet, painter, and potter. She lived rest of her life in UK until she passed away in 2005. A truly remarkable lady in very respect of the word.

All songs in this were derived from a CD except as described here. All extended versions were from a DVD. Also the song “Duba Taara.” I tried to clean up their noise. Most of these songs came out pretty good. I am also missing one more song from this album. This is shown in the table below in red italics. Apparently there are some versions of this song floating around. If anyone of you have it, please kindly share with us.

Now for a description of these songs and the songs themselves …
swarapriya
Songs Of Uran Khatola (1955) Continued ...

Here are the rest of the songs of "Uran Khatola (1955)" ...

Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 16 2008, 08:54 AM) *
Uran Khatola (1955)

The missing song is uploaded here:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=504834

swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Jun 16 2008, 12:22 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 16 2008, 08:54 AM) *
Uran Khatola (1955)

The missing song is uploaded here:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=504834

Thanks a lot Erumji. -S
swarapriya
Kohinoor (1960)

"Kohinoor" is another one of those movies that exploited Dilipji's talents to a maximum. One of our most gifted actors, here he transforms from comedy to romantic hero to a tragedy king very effortlessly. For his portrayal he won the best actor Filmfare award.

There is one "mirror" sequence in this movie between Dilip Saab and Jeevan that is very hilarious. However, this was a direct lift from the famous Marx Brothers' movie called "Duck Soup" made in 1933. Groucho was in that mirror sequence. Many years later, in 1955, Harpo Marx (brother of Groucho) reenacted the mirror scence on the Lucille Ball TV show bringing down the house with laughter.

This movie was another big hit for Naushadji as well as commercially. Almost all songs are beautifully written, composed, and sung. All songs are from a CD except the extended ones. The extended versions of the songs are from a DVD except for "Dil Mein Baji." This song is by the courtesy of the Forum members. I cleaned up the noise on all songs from the DVD version and I think they turned out pretty good. However, still some may find the quality is not in par with other songs.

swarapriya
Songs of Kohinoor (1960) Continued ...

Now for the rest of the songs of "Kohinoor (1960)" ...

nasir
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Jun 12 2008, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 12 2008, 02:40 PM) *

Aan (1952)

Witch: Jaan pyari nahi hai kya?

Dilip: Mujhe yeh rumaal zyaada pyara hai

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Funny stuff man.

Lovely reminder YaarMere!

You know, pages and pages can be written on these two lines on the basis of psycho-analysis since I find elements of fetishm in it. The credit goes to Mehboob Khan for bringing this element in it, howsoever unwittingly. smile.gif

Rushin
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 12 2008, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Pratul @ Jun 12 2008, 06:43 AM) *

Aan (1952)

Yes Pratulji. Mehboob Khan Saab did everything in a grand style. This indeed was a full length color movie and it was made in 1952.

Swarapriya

First Technicolor movie.
nasir
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Swarapriya

wink.gif

Cheers
Parag

One song that comes to my mind when the audience woke up in the theatre and began foot tapping and beating fingers on hand was TERA KAAM HAI JALNA PARWAANE CHAAHE SHAMA JALE YAA NA JALE in PAAPI (1953), starring Raj Kapoor. Then before that we had the songs in DAASTAAN (1950). There might have been many. Gradually, Mukesh who used to sing for Dilip Kumar became the voice of Raj Kapoor; and Rafi Sahaab who used to sing for Raj Kapoor became the voice for Dilip Kumar.

Erum Hashmi
I was missing a few tracks from KOHINOOR....thank you so much, Swarpriyaji for completing my album!
venkat
QUOTE(nasir @ Jun 18 2008, 09:26 PM) *

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 6 2008, 10:33 PM) *

Swarapriya

wink.gif

Cheers
Parag

One song that comes to my mind when the audience woke up in the theatre and began foot tapping and beating fingers on hand was TERA KAAM HAI JALNA PARWAANE CHAAHE SHAMA JALE YAA NA JALE in PAAPI (1953), starring Raj Kapoor. Then before that we had the songs in DAASTAAN (1950). There might have been many. Gradually, Mukesh who used to sing for Dilip Kumar became the voice of Raj Kapoor; and Rafi Sahaab who used to sing for Raj Kapoor became the voice for Dilip Kumar.

Songs sung by Rafi Saab for Raj Kapoor certainly makes an interesting topic. smile.gif

In addition to the oldies such as "Tarari Arari" from Dastaan (Naushad) with Suraiya, the following ones come to my mind:

All the songs in Do Ustaad(1959), as many as five duets with Asha (Madhubala) were sung by Rafi Saab. In addition, in the same film, you have the famous "Worli Ka Naaka" solo by Rafi Saab.

Even as late as 1963, SJ (actually, I think Shankar) made Rafi Saab sing for Raaj Kapoor a duet with Lata for Film:Ek Dil Sau Afsaane. That is the famous, beautiful "Tum Hi Tum Ho Mere Jeewan Mein, Phool Hi Phool Hai Jaise Chaman Mein"

Then again in 1970 or so, for Mera Naam Joker, Rafi Saab sings for Raj Kapoor a very nice song, "Sadke Heer Tujh Pe"! smile.gif

Venkat

vijay

Swarpriya Ji,
"Aan" was shot in 16 mm and later blown up to 35 mm for the theaters. It was done this way to save money otherwise movie budget would not allow color movie. It was first technicolor movie.

Swarpriya Ji , thanks again for the great u/l.

Vijay
swarapriya
QUOTE(vijay @ Jun 18 2008, 07:10 PM) *

Swarpriya Ji,
"Aan" was shot in 16 mm and later blown up to 35 mm for the theaters. It was done this way to save money otherwise movie budget would not allow color movie. It was first technicolor movie.

Swarpriya Ji , thanks again for the great u/l.

Vijay

Thanks for this extra information Vijay ji. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Jun 18 2008, 09:26 AM) *

I was missing a few tracks from KOHINOOR....thank you so much, Swarpriyaji for completing my album!

Erumji, you're very welcome. Cheers. -S
gop
Thanks a lot Swarapriya for the great Naushad Classics.

gop
gop
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jun 4 2008, 06:11 AM) *

Naushad Ali-Dilip Kumar Filmography

If simiplicity is charm, then we can describe Naushadji’s music as very charming. It seems like he has done so much with so few instruments. An exponent of Hindustani music, his compositions always tapped the huge reservoir of the traditional music resources. From his struggling days in Bombay to a major music maestro he maintained that simiplicity in approach to music all his life. He never deviated from this path.

In a span of 65 or so years in the film industry, he composed roughly 70 films. By any yardstick this is not a huge number. But each one of those films were a work of art and charm. In an interview circa 1982, Naushadji said, "In my 62 years in the film industry, I composed music for 66 films. These days, you come across people who have done the music 200 films in two years. What I'm saying is that, we used to agonise over every tune and phrase in music, spend sleepless nights over a song, and work on it until it was perfected. And I am still looking for perfection." That commitment to perfection, that devotion to creating a lasting melodious tune were Naushadji’s drivers in his professional career.

Naushadji was recognized with several awards during his lifetime. These include Padma Bhushan, Filmfare award for Baiju Bawra (1952), Dadasaheb Phalke award, and Sangeet Natya Academy award.

Naushadji had a special relationship with Dilip Kumar saab. Professionally he composed for 15 films in which Dilip Kumar starred. Most of them were blockbusters. All of them had that charming music that was hallmark of Naushadji.

I happen to have the CD collection of all these films with Naushadji as composer and Dilip Saab as the actor. As time permits, in the coming weeks, I will try to share this music with the Forum membership.

The filmography of Naushadji and Dilip Kumar Saab is given in the following table. I will try to upload albums in the chronological order as they appear in the table below.

Film Ganga Jamuna and Mughal-E-Azam was also a Naushad - Dilp Kumar Combination.

gop
swarapriya
QUOTE(gop @ Jun 19 2008, 10:13 PM) *

Film Ganga Jamuna and Mughal-E-Azam was also a Naushad - Dilp Kumar Combination.

gop

Yes. I already listed these in my filmography table. You probably missed it.

Thanks,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
Mugha-E-Azam (1960)

"Mughal-E-Azam" was probably the most magnificent movie ever put on an Indian screen. Every scene of this movie exudes excellence, commitment, compassion, and a myriad colors of opulence. Made with such care and love of art and craft, it stood the test of time like the blissful beauty in the center of this movie, the ever enchanting late great Madhubala.

In a recent post (April 29, 2008) Saksham had one of the greatest writeups explaining every facet of this movie in this Forum. It is difficult to top what he has put together so wonderfully. If anyone is interested in the history and other details about this movie, this is a must read. Don't miss it.

Most personalities associated with this movie have passed away. (The two living legends are Dilip Kumar Saab and Lataji.) That the legacy these folks left behind stood the test of time is evident when this movie was colorized and rereleased in 2004.

Naushadji composes some memorably beautiful songs here to the lyrics penned by Shakeel Badayuni Saab. Like the legend of "Anarkali" they still stay youthful with overflow of conviction of love.

All songs I am uploading here are from a CD. The extended versions are from DVD. I cleaned these songs so that they can come out clear. I will let you judge the results yourself.

swarapriya
Songs of Mughal-E-Azam (1960) Continued ...

Here are the rest of the songs of "Mughal-E-Azam (1960)" ...

ketaki shukla
keep it up Swarapriya.

Ketaki.
HarshBhatt
Keep sharing, Thanks
swarapriya
Gunga Jumna (1961)

In a book on Mehboob Khan, its author tells how "Gunga Jumna" movie came about. Mehboobji decided to remake his previous acclaimed work "Aurat." This was the movie "Mother India." Dilipji, who was a good friend of Mehboob Khan, collaborated with him making suggestions on how the picture and some of its characters, especially that of Birju, should be developed. Dilipji was convinced that he will be playing that role. But Mehboob Saab had other plans. After casting Nargis as mother, he decided to offer the role of Birju to Sunil Dutt. Dilipji was stunned with this unexpected development that he was not ready for. Mehboob Saab couldn't imagine Dilip playing Nargis's son.

Dilipji was not even in talking terms with Mehboob Saab while "Mother India" was getting ready. Eventually that movie was released and was both a commercial as well as artistic triumph for Mehboob Saab.

During this time Dilipji started looking to come up with a story that countered "Mother India." Finally he decided to write and develop himself the story of "Gunga Jumna" and then decided to make the movie himself. Because of this there are so many shades of similarities between "Mother India" and "Gunga Jumna." Both deal with injustices done to a family by a zamindar, both have two brothers one eventually becoming an outlaw and other who upholds law. When "Gunga Jumna" was released, it was also a huge commercial success. Instead of Dilipji running away with honors, it turned out that it was Vyjayanti Mala's performance that won critical acclaim. She won Filmfare's best actress performance for Dhanno's role. The movie's excellent photography also won a Filmfare award and so did the dialogue writer.

After many years, Yash Chopra made this same story (a mixture of "Mother India" and "Gunga Jumna") in modern settings as "Deewar." This again has the similar theme, injustices done by a mill owner to its labor force, a devoted mother raising two sons one of whom turns out "bad" and the other becomes a police officer who upholds the law. This movie catapulted Amitabh Bachchan to undeniable stardom.

Naushadji's music again is on the mark. Lataji has some beautiful songs. All songs are from a CD except the extended ones were ripped from a DVD. Here are details of the songs and songs themselves ...
swarapriya
Songs of Gunga Jumna (Continued) ...

Now for the rest of the songs of "Gunga Jumna (1961)" ...
spmisra
Thanks Swarapriya. As usual your uploads are fantastic. Please note that the song "O chalia" has been sung by Asha and Rafi and not Lata and Rafi. Many thanks again
swarapriya
QUOTE(spmisra @ Jun 25 2008, 10:37 AM) *

Thanks Swarapriya. As usual your uploads are fantastic. Please note that the song "O chalia" has been sung by Asha and Rafi and not Lata and Rafi. Many thanks again

Thanks for pointing the error Misra ji. I made the correction to the table to reflect this change.

Thanks,
Swarapriya
spmisra
You are Welcome. I have been looking for the full version of the song "Aman ka Farishta" from the film Aman, rendered by Rafi saheb. You must have seen the request on the HF. I wonder if you the number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.