Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Photos
Hamara Forums > General > Tourists paradise
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
lakshmi
Recently, I drove to South Dakota. This was my 3rd visit to this beautiful state. I went with my son to Rapid City, which is nestled in the Black Hills Area. It is named for the dark appearance given by the mountains' thick covering of pines.

The 1st photo is Mount Rushmore National Memorial in the Black Hills. The sculptor, Gutzon Borglum chose this mountain for its granite face and with a team of 400 people, carved the faces of 4 presidents( George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln) with perfection. Each face is 60 feet high.
Exon
QUOTE(lakshmi @ May 30 2008, 02:51 AM) *

Recently, I drove to South Dakota. This was my 3rd visit to this beautiful state. I went with my son to Rapid City, which is nestled in the Black Hills Area. It is named for the dark appearance given by the mountains' thick covering of pines.

The 1st photo is Mount Rushmore National Memorial in the Black Hills. The sculptor, Gutzon Borglum chose this mountain for its granite face and with a team of 400 people, carved the faces of 4 presidents( George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln) with perfection. Each face is 60 feet high.

Nice picture, Lakshmi.
Isn't Devil's Tower within driving distance too. It has been almost 10 years since I visited SD.
Please post more pictures.

Exon

lakshmi
Thanks Exon. Yes, the Devil's tower is 70 miles northwest of Rapid City in Wyoming.

Here is another photo. This one is Crazy Horse. Crazy Horse was a war Chief of Lakota Indians. He was stabbed to death during the battle of big horn. This non profit project began in 1947, when sculptor Korczak Ziolkowskiarrived in the Black Hills to accept the invitation of Lakota chief to carve Crazy Horse. The hair can fit all the 4 faces of the presidents from Mount Rushmore. The project is not funded by the federal Government. Volunteers contribute in everyway. Noone knows when this project will be completed since it depends on the weather and finance. The sculptor died in 1982 and the project is carried by his wife and children. When completed , this monument will be the tallest in the world.
lakshmi
next pic of Crazy Horse
Marcilo
Great pictures and stunning location. Would love to travel there some day. Thanks for posting these.
I am amazed how they have been carving crazy horse
lakshmi

Marcilo,

Thanks for your appreciation. I wish I was much younger. I have tons of enthusiasm for running around and taking photos.

The next one is in Kansas City, Missouri. It is amzing that we have so many beautiful spots right in our back yard, yet we don't notice them.

Here is a photo of Nelson Atkins museum in Kansas City. This is one of the best museums in US. The admission is always free. The collection of Asian paintings and sculptures are huge. There is an outdoor sculpture garden where one can view Henry Moore's collection. There are 6 shuttlecocks on the premises. The sculptors are Claes Oldenberg and Coosje Van Bruggen. These shuttlecocks are made out of Fibreglass.You are seeing 2 of them on the front lawn
spmisra
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing them.
lakshmi
Sri,

Thanks for your nice words. I am an amateur photographer. I still haven't learnt the nuances of photography. I enjoy taking photos. Even the insignificant spots attract me.

I lived in New York City for 5 years, yet missed central park. 2 years ago, i went to New York City and walked through quarter of the park. I started at columbus circle , Avenue of Americas and went upto 75th street. I took many photos. I will upload a few as and when time permits.

Here are 2 photos.

The first one is a marble statue of Columbus on granite column. The three ships on the column represent the Nina, The Pinta and the Santa Maria

I am having problems with attaching the image.
lakshmi
The next one is a globe at Trump Tower near Columbus Circle
simplefable
Thanks Lakshmi..for the amazing pics of Rushmore..Next time, I know certainly that i will visit it. For an Amateur, I found your photos to be clear and crisp. Well done ! smile.gif
lakshmi
Thanks Venkat. I enjoy taking photos. The next picture of mine is a famous theatre on 48th street between 6th and 7th avenue in New York City. The theatre was built by the west coast producer, John Cort, The architect was Thomas Lamb and it was completed in i913. It is a must see for its beautiful facade.
Marcilo
The first one is a marble statue of Columbus on granite column. The three ships on the column represent the Nina, The Pinta and the Santa Maria

Is this from central park?
lakshmi
Yes Marcilo. That is at the entrance of Central Park from the south end.

The next photo was taken on our visit to Austria. We walked a lot in Salzburg. It was really fun. Just a street.
lakshmi

This Russian orthodox cathedral of St.Alexander Nevasky is in Howell , New Jersey
Marcilo
Yes Marcilo. That is at the entrance of Central Park from the south end

For some reason I never liked NYC. It reminded me of Delhi's chandani Chonk area. People all around, trash on roads, honking, I mean you name it.
Exon
Lakshmi,

Thanks for all these nice pictures.
Your photo of Mount Rushmore reminds me of Stone Mountain park, near Atlanta. There, they have three heroes from civil war etched on mountain side rocks. It is a very nice park to spend an evening with little kids.

Exon
lakshmi
Marcilo,

I agree with you. Either you love New York or hate New York. It has too much ethnic diversity. People have become very money minded and arrogant. I used to love New York City when I lived there , but after living in midwest, I find New York very dirty and crowded. But, I enjoy my short visits there. I enjoy walking in Manhattan.

Exon,

I have been to Atlanta but not the stone mountain park.I will visit it when I go to Atlanta.

Here are a few pics from Holocaust memorial in Miami Beach, Florida.

Holocaust memorial is memorial to the memory of 6 million Jewish victims of the holocaust. The memorial dedicated and opened to public in Feb 1990. The architect and sculptor was Kenneth Treister.
lakshmi
pic 2 of the holocaust memorial
lakshmi
pic 3
lakshmi
pic 4
vijay
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Jun 4 2008, 08:20 PM) *

This Russian orthodox cathedral of St.Alexander Nevasky is in Howell , New Jersey

Lakshmi Ji,

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures.
You came very very close to my home town in NJ. If I had known about your trip, I would have invited you to my home. I think it would have been great to meet a friend from the HF. Music would have given us lot's of things to talk about.
Well, remember next time if you are coming to this part of USA.

Vijay
lakshmi

Vijay,

I come quite often to NJ as my son lives there. I will pm you my e mail Id and Give you my tel.no. I am coming there pretty soon. I would love to meet you.Thanks for all the appeciation.

Lakshmi
lakshmi

The next photo is the house and museum of Ernest Hemingway, who was one of the most honored and respected authors of America. This nobel prize winner of 1954 lived here for more than 10 years.
lakshmi
View from the side
Marcilo
QUOTE(vijay @ Jun 5 2008, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(lakshmi @ Jun 4 2008, 08:20 PM) *

Lakshmi Ji,

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures.
You came very very close to my home town in NJ. If I had known about your trip, I would have invited you to my home. I think it would have been great to meet a friend from the HF. Music would have given us lot's of things to talk about.
Well, remember next time if you are coming to this part of USA.

Vijay

HF - US chapter meet cool.gif
Marcilo
Marcilo,

I agree with you. Either you love New York or hate New York. It has too much ethnic diversity. People have become very money minded and arrogant. I used to love New York City when I lived there , but after living in midwest, I find New York very dirty and crowded. But, I enjoy my short visits there. I enjoy walking in Manhattan.

Same here, after living in Midwest, I doubt I can adjust myself to that kind of life style. NY is good in a way, people walk a lot. They use public transport but then I can’t imagine driving through lower Manhattan. I am sure if I were to drive there now, I would be running those pedestrian over and over who cross street with click of knuckle
lakshmi
Marcilo,

I like midwest for its cleanliness and helpful people. Love to visit New York every year.

The next one is a palace in Vienna. Schonbrunn palace is One of the beautiful palaces . It was the summer resident for Hapsburgs who ruled central Europe for 600 years. There are 1400 rooms and the garden is just amazing. Here are 3 photos from my file.
lakshmi
The neptune fountain, Schonbrunn palace, Vienna Austria
lakshmi
3rd photo
lakshmi
I love the plaza in Kansas City. It has upscale shops, fine restaurants and most of all the shops and restaurants are of spanish architecture. Yhere are many fountains, murals, statues etc. Here are a few photos of the plaza.
lakshmi
The next one
lakshmi
photo 3
lakshmi
photo 4
lakshmi
photo 5
Exon
Lakshmi,

Thanks for all these tourist spot pictures.
Are these latest set of pictures from the Missouri side or Kansas side of the city.
Some years ago, I drove through the city. But haven't had a chance to visit it.

Exon
lakshmi

Thanks Exon. The plaza is is in Kansas City , Missouri. I will add more pictures of plaza later. It is a must see in Kansas City.

I used to live in San Francisco in early 1980s. Nice city. Saw many beautiful sights. Here is a photo of San Francisco(Bay area) from Lombard street, the crookedest street.
lakshmi
I shot this photo while I was in Scotland. I took the description from the net.

In 1269, while the Earl of Atholl was away in England for an extended period, a neighbour, John Comyn, started to build a castle on the Earl's land. Atholl complained to King Alexander III, got his land back, and incorporated the usurping tower into his own castle. It is still there, called Comyn's Tower.

It has been occupied by attackers on four occasions, including being taken by the Cromwellians during the English Civil War.
During the 1745 Jacobite revolt, Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed at Blair Castle on his way south after landing at Glenfinnan. Inevitably the English army occupied the castle in 1746 as the Jacobite revolt came to its sad conclusion. The Jacobites under Lord George Murray, lay siege to Blair in what is believed to be the last castle siege in Britain.

Blair has changed its architectural appearance over the years. Much of what can be seen today dates from the 18th century, and it has become a palace rather than a fortress.
lakshmi
Here is the next photo
lakshmi
Love those tulips in Central Park, New York City
iiluu
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Jun 12 2008, 12:16 AM) *

Love those tulips in Central Park, New York City

Hi lakshmi ji,
Lovely flowers you collected, many of those rare flower's i am having at my home . .
With love,
iiluu . .
lakshmi
Iiluu,

You are lucky to have those flowers in your yard. Love to see them.

Today, I decided to go to New York City. I enjoy going bymyself, so that I can spend many hours seeing anything I like. Istarted at 12 noon at the southern tip of Manhattan in battery park and walked all the way to Prince Street in Soho andthen caughtthe subway to Penn Station. It took me 4 hours to see everything between South Ferry stationand Prince street. I took 200 photos. I will upload many of them periodically.

Here is theone pic of me with raging bull. This bull is 7000 pounds and made out ofbronze. The sculptor is New York City artist, Arturo Di Modica.He created this one after the black Monday in Oct,1987. It is situated in Broadway and Bowling Greene intersection.

lakshmi
Photo 2 of the bull
simplefable
Thanks Lakshmi..The pictures are so nice..like postcards. smile.gif
lakshmi
BROOKLYN BRIDGE

Thanks Venkat. In my opinion, walking is the best way to see many important and interesting points. The next pic is Brooklyn Bridge.

The work which is most likely to become our most durable monument, and to convey some knowledge of us to the most remote posterity, is a work of bare utility; not a shrine, not a fortress, not a palace, but a bridge." - Harper's Weekly (1883)

This bridge over the East River joind the boroughs of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. It is one of the largest suspensionbridges. It took more than 13 years to complete itand was completed in 1883. Pedestrians can walk on the top of the bridge. The architect was John Augustus Roebling. The cables are made out of steel.

That is me in the photo
lakshmi
Vie from the bridge
lakshmi
Empire State Building from the bridge
Exon
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Jun 14 2008, 05:53 PM) *

BROOKLYN BRIDGE

Thanks Venkat. In my opinion, walking is the best way to see many important and interesting points. The next pic is Brooklyn Bridge.

The work which is most likely to become our most durable monument, and to convey some knowledge of us to the most remote posterity, is a work of bare utility; not a shrine, not a fortress, not a palace, but a bridge." - Harper's Weekly (1883)

This bridge over the East River joind the boroughs of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. It is one of the largest suspensionbridges. It took more than 13 years to complete itand was completed in 1883. Pedestrians can walk on the top of the bridge. The architect was John Augustus Roebling. The cables are made out of steel.

That is me in the photo

Lakshmi,

Thanks for sharing these nice photos. I also enjoy reading your nice write up about the places you visit. Would love to see some more pictures.
From my visits, I found additional advantages to walking in Manhattan. The first time we visited NY, our car got towed. We ended up wasting several hours to recover our vehicle. When we lived in Philadelphia, we used to visit NY very often.

Exon
lakshmi
Thanks Exon. No matter how many times I see New York City, I would have missed somethings next time I visit the city. Philadelphia is another historic place. Used to visit often and enjoyed the famous Pagano pizza.

In my opinion, the best way to see a country is through driving and the best way to see a city is through walking.Used to drive in New York City, gave up. Too many cabs, too many constructions. Best is to walk or take the sub way.

Washington D.C. is the capitol of US. It is another fantastic place to visit.. Here is a photo of Washington monument in D.C. This beautiful, 555 feet sand colored obelisk was built in mid 1800s to honour our first president, George Washington. This photo was takenfrom Lincoln Memorial.
simplefable
Oh..this monument was made memorable by the film " Forrest Gump " . atleast for film buffs like me... smile.gif
Nice pictures Lakshmi...
lakshmi
Thank you Venkat for viewing and giving positivecomments.

Thenext one is..I don'tknow what to call.. cabanas, sheds or simply colorful buildings. Found them on the beach in Sea Bright, New Jersey. Found interesting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.