Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Konkani
Hamara Forums > General > Lingo Hamara > Regional Languages
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mandrake
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Aug 1 2005, 08:43 PM)
Kya hua.....Cooking lessons.......shuru hone se pehle hi band ho gayi??? I was hoping for something great!!! sad1.gif cry.gif

GKS_Cooker (Paresh Rawal Ishtyle.....) tongue.gif

GKS, Nimii 'chickened' out rollf.gif
Lata
Ye bawarchi khane se kaunsi khushboo aareli hai : inhaling deeply : Nimii....please please mujhe bhi khana pakane ko sikha do naa. blab.gif step by step instructions please, useful tips bhi welcome, wow woh bhi Ggrandma ki kitaab se..... wink2.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif
Nimii
Now I understand why Mumbai is getting flooded! All my bad-dua on these 2 Mumbaikars - GKS and Jadugar !!

I didnt chicken out! I was so pissed off with this slow vsnl dialup connection I juz disconnected and went to sleep early *not really - was reading a romantic novel*

N
ps: You guys name a fav veg or whatever.. so that I can start from there. And stop whining!
Mandrake
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 2 2005, 08:25 AM)
Now I understand why Mumbai is getting flooded! All my bad-dua on these 2 Mumbaikars - GKS and Jadugar !!

I didnt chicken out! I was so pissed off with this slow vsnl dialup connection I juz disconnected and went to sleep early *not really - was reading a romantic novel*

N
ps: You guys name a fav veg or whatever.. so that I can start from there. And stop whining!

Nimii - aapki bad-dua hum dononko chhorkar baaki sabko lag gayee cry.gif

Abt the recipes - give me anything that you can do with a combo of potatoes, tomatoes and green peas - coz that is the simplest to start with.
And make it tasty pls thumbs-up.gif
Nimii
Ya your presence is so divine on that city.. that all mumbaikars have to suffer coz of you two !

Oh ok reg.. the recipe.. that would be something like bhaaji *what one has with puris*

N
Mandrake
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 2 2005, 09:43 AM)
Ya your presence is so divine on that city.. that all mumbaikars have to suffer coz of you two !

Oh ok reg.. the recipe.. that would be something like bhaaji *what one has with puris*

N

Call it bhaji or stew or concoction wink2.gif

Just see that it should be yummmmmmmy :slurp slurp:
Nimii
Batata bhaaji recipe dittahn tukka jayithaavhe re Mandrakeaah?

N
Mandrake
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 2 2005, 12:41 PM)
Batata bhaaji recipe dittahn tukka jayithaavhe re Mandrakeaah?

N

Amma, batata bhaaji is no simple thing. To make it realllly yummmm needs skill!

I know many 'cooks' who have dished out the ugggh-est batata bhaaji during my hostel days cry.gif
Nimii
Tukka samma maruassuh! Batata bhaaji tugale maharashtrian namuna nahi re!

yehn vingadachi.. amchigalehle namuna karchaa.. kanlenhvhe?

N!
gkshyam
Hmm...this is the problem with Konkani.......(Esp'lly the ones N speaks)...... It looks close to neither Marathi.....nor the 2 south-Indian languages I know..........Can't make out anything......and have to 'compulsarily' wait till Mandrake replies to N's comments...... tongue.gif

Ohh......toh hamaari wajah se poora Bambai shahar ko aapki bad-dua lag gayi??? (Sharing one honest secret with you Nimii......In between.....I was thinking of 'temporarily' shifting to Bangalore!!!!!! smile1.gif laugh.gif)

Nimii
Ayyo deva tuhn angaa yettavhe? Bangaloruraantu paavsu ayilaari..poora bangalore udtkaanthu dubtaah!

Angaah yevunakka na re tu! Shyamu!!

N
(ppl who can understand are Pradeep and Walker!)

nm007
whatever nimii ji writes is actually close enough to marathi that I can understand

angaa - here
paavasu - rain
udak - water (actually sanskrit word)

> Ayyo deva tuhn angaa yettavhe? Bangaloruraantu paavsu ayilaari..poora bangalore

are devaa tuu ikaDe yetos? bangalorlaa paa_uus aalaa re .. purNa bangalore

> udtkaanthu dubtaah!

paaNyaamadhe buDel

> Angaah yevunakka na re tu! Shyamu!!

ikaDe ye_uu nako na re tuu shyaamuu!!

or as expressed in a jaidev composed song
banglore naa re na jaao shyaam painyaa paDuu tongue.gif

> N

> (ppl who can understand are Pradeep and Walker!)

(and most marathi people too tongue.gif)

disclaimer: All this stuff is not my opinion, it is just a translation of the opinion expressed by someone. I do not care if "mumbaikar" go to banglore or banglorians go to mumbai, just dont make my beloved pune crowded tongue.gif tongue.gif
gkshyam
Hmmm......Well......Infact, I did understand this p'cular post of Nimii.......(with my li'l bit knowledge of Marathi & hindi).........What I didn't get clearly, was the earlier post by Nimii....... laugh.gif
gkshyam
Another thing......My thought of coming to B'lore was much before the rains........quite a few months back......not today..... tongue.gif wink2.gif
nm007
yup this one is a bit difficult, Can you please correct me nimii ji?

> Tukka samma maruassuh!

tukka - to you
samma - ?
maruassuh - will hit? (I will hit you with something ??)

this one is of course easy
> Batata bhaaji tugale maharashtrian namuna nahi re!
batata bhaji tumhaare maharashtrian style kii nahi re

>yehn vingadachi..

yeh ?????????
(This one is from vingad ???)

> amchigalehle namuna karchaa.. kanlenhvhe?

hamare yahaanke shTyle se karane kaa -- samajhaa naa?

Nimii
Phew! nm bahut badiya!!

yehn vingadachi means..

this is something else..

vingada means different!

amchigalehle - *amchigaleh - south canara konkani speaking ppl are called amchigelehn so also konkani is referred to amchigelehn in konkani in DK! *dakshina kannada* )

N
Bertie Wooster
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 2 2005, 12:06 PM)
Phew! nm bahut badiya!!

yehn vingadachi means..

this is something else..

vingada means different!

amchigalehle - *amchigaleh - south canara konkani speaking ppl are called amchigelehn so also konkani is referred to amchigelehn in konkani in DK! *dakshina kannada* )

N

That explains it! I am thinking this is not the Konkani I have grown up listening!!

Btw, I wanted to let you know that the Konkani poem nm uploaded on this thread is an absolute gem! I see it has hardly any downloads and was wondering if y'all missed it - like I did - in all this konkani talk smile1.gif

Thanks nm.

Bertie Wooster
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 1 2005, 10:04 AM)
No who the h*** is Hojo?

Step to step... kyon?

1. Ingredients

2. Method of preparation..

3. Garnishing..

Wont that suffice?

I am gonna reproduce my ggrandma's cookery book (will tell you in pm who she was!)

N

Can you make Zhinga Masala?

Also, I want to know too who your grandma was...was she someone famous??

Nimii
For SK konkanis yes her book was presented to every bride who started a new home!

Bertie amgaleh konkani is different! I did mention my konkani is so typical of the Gowda Saraswat lot of Dakshina Kannada!

N
gkshyam
Wow....So the grand-daughter of such an illustrious garndmother...... thumbs-up.gif Kyaa baat hai.... Toh ho jaaye kuch khaas - from Grandma's book???? (Or rather, on 2nd thoughts......shaayad aapki naani ne aapko directly sikhaayi hogi na??? Would prefer some such recipes......books wale baadme ........what say??? (Kaay saangte???? Or something else in ur konkani??? unsure.gif)
gkshyam
By the way.......forgot to add something in the upper post........ So ..with all the direct training from Grandma dear........N is all ready to start married life and new home.....ehh???? tongue.gif laugh.gif wink2.gif
Nimii
Gks nee adi vaanga porey da! Kalayanam gilayanam ellam kidayaathu! Nan endrum kanniyaga vazha virumbukiren! (that is specially to GKS in tamil)

Actually GGrandma was not easy to please!! The beauty of her book was the recipe were typically made with minimun quantity of ingredients esp for a person who tries out the dish the first time. IF one likes it they can double the quantity so that it can serve 2 or more accordingly!

N
visuja
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 3 2005, 02:18 PM)
Gks nee adi vaanga porey da! Kalayanam gilayanam ellam kidayaathu! Nan endrum kanniyaga vazha virumbukiren! (that is specially to GKS in tamil)

N

*Thud*...*Wham* ...*Dishoom* ..*Boom* .....

Nimii .. U not married !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tukka lagna naahi zhaala ?? (thats korathi ... konkani + marathi :-D)

Why was I under a wrong impression !?????????????????? : unsure :

arey.. shaadi nahin karegi to how will u pass on yr Ggrandma's legacy ?? waise 90+ ki umar mein shaadi karna 'almost' naamumkin hai .. ;-)
Isliye HF pe recipes dekar koi worthy successor dhoondh rahi ho ?!? : camera : ( : a bulb appears over V's head : ) .. icon pls

Do suggest something with palak and karela .... yummy combo ... :-P... no seriously, I love karela :-)

Vivek
PS : Ive been indicating icon pls at several threads now, but 'icon'ist nowhere to be seen ... : camera : .
Mandrake
Vivek, your problem can be solved easily : right thumb up :

Next time you write 'icon pls', also write 'iconist pls' next to it... :wink + guffaw :
Nimii
Few more days and may be then I can get back to using icon.

What is virtual life with no emoticons!

Tsk tsk!

N
ps: Yo Vivekaah kasan re ?
Lata
I too love karela wink2.gif .......Nimii.....when r u gonna give the recipes angry2.gif wink2.gif minus Broccoli all subzis r welcome smile1.gif tere recipe ke chakkar mein do din khana nahin banaya maine smile1.gif
gkshyam
WOW...WOW!!!!! Kya baat hai.......Yahaan sab Karela-lovers dikh rahe hain!!! I'm in the team too!!! A Karela-Lover since birth!!!! And all my relatives used to consider me mad or 'abnormal' or 'rare species' in my childhood!!! wink2.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Ohh...."Vivekaah" (Nimmi Konkani style!!! tongue.gif) so u thought N is married woman ehh??? wink2.gif Well......Aise kya problem hai N??? Are you just bugged with the idea of marriage??? Or "Against it" or "Anti-marriage" ??? Or some other problem???? I had never percieved that you would be a girl (ok ok...paati)......who would have problems with the idea of marriage!!! :WIERD: (Icon & Iconist plss... tongue.gif)
Kaay zhaala re tula ??? unsure.gif
gkshyam
Hmm.......Amchigelen???? Kaay zhaala??? Gas Band zhaale ka???? unsure.gif huh.gif
Mandrake
Nimii-JI, pehle khaane pe bulaya. Aur ab sab kuchh gaayab?

(How do you say that in Konkani?)
Nimii
Pudeh jevnaa appailehn attuh sakkada disanaatileh gellichi vhe?

N
ps: Lata wants some recipes for the weekend. I asked her what veggies she has in her refrigerator.. No response as yet. Awaiting her response.

Mandrake
Oh, Lata has potatoes, tomatoes, green peas and cauliflower tongue.gif rollf.gif

Kya milega? (wish I could rrrreally learn to speak Konkani sad1.gif )
Nimii
Ok Mandrake! ek divasu kandituh konkani sikkthaalo tuhn ... bejaaru paavnukkah..

(definitely one day you sure to learn konkani.. dont feel sad)

Here is what I cooked today - Batata Saang..

(Saang is a spicy dish - is basically a gravy oriented one).

abbreviations - Tablespoon - tbspn Teaspoon - tspn

The gravy ingredients conventionally are ground.

For eg. dhania, red chillies, are stir fried in little oil and then ground to a fine paste adding very little water and a marble sized tamarind - this gives you the sour taste).

*The same thing can be done in the instant way - like I do. I use coriander powder (1 1/2 tbspn), red chilly powder - 1 tspn (depends on how spicy you can manage!), tamarind powder (I add 2 tbspn ). - 1 tsp sambar powder can be added to enhance the taste! - These powders can be added in the place of paste after the onions are fried to a light brown colour*

<THE ABOVE IS THE MIXTURE REQUIRED FOR THE GRAVY).

1/2 kg potatoes or mebbe even 1 or 2 more depending on how you prefer your dish to be (some ppl prefer gravy to contents .. like in my case).

4 medium sized onions

Boil and peel the potatoes and dice them to a medium sized cubes. Onions should be chopped - size of the chopped pieces should be visible in the gravy - which means not finely chopped!)

Now keep some oil in a kadai.. and add some mustard (1/2 tsp) and wait for it to splutter. Add some curry leaves .. and add onions and fry them till they turn slightly brown.. Then add the mixture*/paste prepared earlier to the fried onions and stir nicely. You can add some haldi powder if you like. Add the required amt of salt (in this case 2 tspns). and stir properly for about 3 to 4 minutes. Now add the diced potatoes and mix properly. Add 1/ 2 cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, on slow fire.

Remove the same from the fire and open the kadai and stir again, you can crush a couple of potatoes with a crusher if you find you have added a little more water than you shld. This would make the gravy thicker.

Now you can have it with rice (ofc with dhal) or rotis.

N
Lata
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Aug 6 2005, 12:49 PM)
Oh, Lata has potatoes, tomatoes, green peas and cauliflower  tongue.gif  rollf.gif

Kya milega? (wish I could rrrreally learn to speak Konkani  sad1.gif )

Mandrake,

Incidentally U r right. tongue.gif I only have the above veggies u mentioned cry.gif Havent done my veggie shopping. sad1.gif I also have murungakkai [ shevgyacha shenga tongue.gif ] Nimmi...uski koi subzi bata de naa.....no sambaar please wink2.gif
Anil4
Lata

This man , Mandrake is really a magician. He told me something personal about me today, and he was spot on.

Now if he would only tell me the winning powerball numbers for next week!

Anil
Lata
QUOTE(Bhirgu @ Aug 6 2005, 08:04 PM)

Now if he would only tell me the winning powerball numbers for next week!

Anil

Anil........if u win.......then fifty fifty....waht say? wink2.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(Lata @ Aug 6 2005, 07:48 PM)
I also have murungakkai [ shevgyacha shenga tongue.gif  ] Nimmi...uski koi subzi bata de naa.....no sambaar please wink2.gif

We call it masheenga shaanguh!

Yes you can make fryums out of it.. Mix a little chilli powder with salt, hingu and add a few drops of water to make the batter. Roll the cut drumsticks and fry them on slow fire.

They make an excellent chewy eats!

N
Nimii
Lata, Mandrake, GKS where have you guys vanished..

Wanted me to give the recipes.. ab when I started writing sab gayab!

Tsk tsk kasaney jallahki ankhaa sakkadakka...

N sad1.gif
Mandrake
Yo Nimii, pls carry on.
Still haven't tried my hand at the saang - will do so shortly.

Anything spicy (as in chatpata - not overspiced) with gravy (preferred) or without gravy is fine.

My personal thumbrule is: to prepare an extremely tasty dish with the simplest of materials/garnishings.

Whatever fits that definition is more welcome smile1.gif

And pls serve your recipes with some icons wink2.gif
Nimii
Ya Mandrake try the shortcut methods.. remember these days with verylittle time on hand.. we gotto eat stuff that is tasty and be prepared real fast smile1.gif

Another of my favourite is coriander chutney!

A bunch of coriander leaves, (accordingly add green chillies) in my case I will add 4 green chillies, tamarind and salt.. to suit your taste..

Put it in a small jar of the mixie and run the mixie juz for a min or two..

Excellent spicy chutney to eat with rotis or puris!!

N biggrin.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 7 2005, 04:33 PM)
Ya Mandrake try the shortcut methods.. remember these days with verylittle time on hand.. we gotto eat stuff that is tasty and be prepared real fast smile1.gif

Another of my favourite is coriander chutney!

A bunch of coriander leaves, (accordingly add green chillies) in my case I will add 4 green chillies, tamarind and salt.. to suit your taste..

Put it in a small jar of the mixie and run the mixie juz for a min or two..

Excellent spicy chutney to eat with rotis or puris!!

N biggrin.gif

Honestly, the mouth waters even as I read this :slurp: :drool:
Nimii
You bet!! I juz remembered the dish .. must make it .. aaj sabzi kharidte waqt I must pick more coriander leaves...

ab tea time I am making home made pizzas sad1.gif

I am sure my niece will whack all of it sad1.gif mere liye ek chota sa piece rakhegi :E

N:(
Lata
Nimii..........koi teekhi gravy wali subzi bata naa.......shall try ur batata saang and tell u smile1.gif .......do u make vettal kozhyambu?..........gimme the pakka madrasi recipe na. smile1.gif
tusharhaldanker82
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed. I am too a Goan.

Khup baren dislem, Pradeep aani nimii Goicheen te aayakun.
(nice to learn that pradeep and nimii are Goans)

Aaning kon Goicho aasa ?
(are there any other Goans?)

Nimii
Tushar ami Goinchi nahi.. ami Mangaloorchi

WELCOME TO KONKANI THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n smile1.gif
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 8 2005, 12:22 AM)
Tushar ami Goinchi nahi.. ami Mangaloorchi

WELCOME TO KONKANI THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n smile1.gif

I see. Even Pradeep is from Mangalore?

Do everyone in Mangalore speak konkani?
gkshyam
Hi Nimii.....I'm back here.....Aane mein thodi der ho gayi....... Yes...Noted those recipes.....shall try them out hoprefully soon enough.....

Hey you know what......I've been writing to Lata for recipes of home-made (non-oven) Pizzas......Unhone toh aaj tak reply hi nahi di.. sad1.gif cry.gif cry.gif ....Accha hua tumne woh topic chhed liya.....Ab tumhaare gale padta hoon...... Can you help me out with that??? The thing's that......there's no oven @ home.....And I enjoy experimenting with all sorts of cooking....... And the ONLY way for me to try making Pizzas at home...is on the gas.....PAN par rakhke...... But till date....whenever I've tried my hand @ making Pizzas.......The base has ALWAYS burnt (without exception)!!! tongue.gif heehhe.....I mean......even before the pizza begins to bake....and the cheese at the top begins to melt.....the base already starts burning....... sad1.gif cry.gif Can you tell some fool-proof methods to make good Pizzas??? unsure.gif smile1.gif
Nimii
Tushar: No not all of us in Mangalore speak in Konkani.. THere are kannada speaking and tulu speaking people too!

GKS: Sure da! No probs.. before the microwave came I used to do it on an ordinary tava. You are burning the base probably coz you are putting it on high flame. Further always remember to stir fry all the vegetables (they should be cut finely - for easy cooking) and apply some grease on the tava and cook on very very slow fire.

For the tomato base - a simple spicy recipe that I developed - I chop onions and garlic very very fine and fry them till brown and red chilli powder and stir for so more time.. Add tomato puree and a little water and cook till you get the required consistency.

Veggies - baby corn, capiscum, onions, tomatoes - chop them lengthy (what you call juliennes)

Use mozarella cheese - grate and garnish..

N smile1.gif
gkshyam
Thanks so much Nimii....... smile1.gif

Oh yes.....I do try keeping it on low flame......The problem is.....I always use the Pizza base that you get in the shops (Kwality brand).....and they are too thick (not hard.....normal....soft ones....but thick and fat... tongue.gif) So....even after say...7-10 mins or so....The base....and the toppings are not cooked at all.....(not even 'warmed'.. tongue.gif) But the base is already burnt.... sad1.gif (I too fry the veggies....and also grease the pan....)

Hmm.....the tomato base......shall try out ur recipe......Only thing is...I dont eat garlic.......toh...will try it with all other ingreients kept the same.... tongue.gif smile.gif

What do you do for the pizza base re? And are there any other ways to make sure the pizza is cooked...and yet not burnt??? unsure.gif
Nimii
You need to use a thinner base (I get the local nilgiris one!).. and the tava should be thicker, thin tava heat up faster!

N smile1.gif
Nimii
You can leave out the garlic!

N
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.