Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help!
Hamara Forums > General > Computing and Technology
cinemaniac2
hi!

long time ago I d/l from the net some mp3 files on my old computer-I forgot about them, and today while
cleaning the mess I found them. I tried to play these files on many different media player but they would not play them, even Audition 3.0 could not play it.I used gspot to find the codec -it showed it as wma/asf-but
windows media player could not identify it. the only player which played the file was vlc media, so I was sure
it is an audio file- I then tried to convert it to mp3-but Blaze,Xilisoft and Fairstar could not do it.

can someone help me here I have 50 of these files.

I am u/l a sample here for you to try.

thanks

cm2

Marcilo
Did it have .mp3 as original extension?
deewani
I'm stumped, my best guess is either the files are corrupt but more likely it's a codec issue, I hope someone can help you.
cinemaniac2

Did it have .mp3 as original extension?

yes they came with the same extension

files are corrupt

most probably, but VLC media player can play it.
I tried mp3repair but no help there

it's a codec issue

gspot -called it an wma/asf file while encspot could not recognize the media

let's try to break this- do you require another file as a sample- could yuo'll play it in vlc or any other player

thanks for trying and helping out

cm2

deewani
I could not play it in any player, nor load it in any music editing program, besides VLC. I've tried everything I could think of and I am truly stumped. I am getting conflicting info for it's properties too (491 kb vs 785 kb size, no duration vs 50 seconds duration, etc) and the encoder field is missing. Opening in audition only results in a bunch of noise, no actual music. I am wondering, since this is a sample - did you edit the file, in other words, crop it? If so with what program?

The codec shown in VLC is wma2, specifically, Windows Media Audio V8, with 64 kbps bitrate 44khz, stereo. Duration of 1:07. I see that dbpoweramp has that codec on their website for installing - perhaps it can be converted with that software? (though my attempts to convert it to wma and mp3 with that do not result in a file that plays with other players. Perhaps there is a downloadable codec for winamp, etc....... http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy/codec-central-wma.htm

My best guess is that this file was at one time a wma but converted to mp3, but the codec used is obsolete now? Or perhaps it was encoded to mp3 from streaming media...

Sangeet
If you have VLC player installed just use that to convert the stream,

1. Open VLC
2. Go to File >> Open File > Select the file you want

Click to view attachment

3. Check Stream/Save>> go to advanced options>>Settings
4. Select File >> browse and give new filename it needs to be saved as

Click to view attachment

Select audio codec > Hit Ok which will take you to the first screen again> Hit Ok, And You are done in 4-5 seconds.

And you get a file that now plays in windows media player.
Click to view attachment

Of course this is only if you don't find any way out or simpler converter.
cinemaniac2
yes it works- thanks Sangeet a lot- you saved 50 of my files from being deleted.

BTW- did anyone find out what codec the files were using

cm2

deewani
QUOTE(cinemaniac2 @ Dec 21 2007, 09:55 PM) *

cm2

QUOTE(deewani @ Dec 16 2007, 06:40 AM) *

The codec shown in VLC is wma2, specifically, Windows Media Audio V8

cinemaniac2
QUOTE(deewani @ Dec 22 2007, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(cinemaniac2 @ Dec 21 2007, 09:55 PM) *

cm2

QUOTE(deewani @ Dec 16 2007, 06:40 AM) *

The codec shown in VLC is wma2, specifically, Windows Media Audio V8

yes I understand that VLC recognized it as some Microsoft codec-but shouldn't WMP play it or say I don't have the particular codec let me d/l it for your player-thats what happens with most other players.

cm2

deewani
I don't really know much about more then my guess that the codec is not supported any longer by the new players for the most part, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.