Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Istikharah
Hamara Forums > General > Spirituality
noorie
What is Istikharah?

Istikharah is to seek guidance from Allah when one is faced with a problem to which no solution is apparent.

Whenever a person is faced with a difficult problem, or becomes hesitant in making a decision and his knowledge of the matter is insufficient to guide him then after seeking advice from trusted friends he should turn to Allah and beseech His grace. He should willingly and with an open heart and mind supplicate for divine guidance and ask for direction so that the problem is solved in his own best interest.
The Du'aa at such an occasion is called Istikharah.

Istikharah is in fact an invaluable teaching of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) with which the Muslims have been favoured. This blessing could give solace to many for all times to come. It is related in the Hadith that Rasulullah (SAW) used to teach the Istikharah to the Sahaabah (RA) like the Qur'an is taught to children. In another Hadith it is stated that 'He does not fail who makes Istikharah and he does not regret who makes Mashwarah (consultation).

In the Masnoon Istikharah, after one has carried out his responsibility as best as one can, one should hand over the entire matter and oneself to the limitless knowledge of Allah Ta'ala. By resorting to Istikhaarah one is now relieved of making a decision on ones own.
Whenever counsel is sought from a respectable and experienced person, it is expected that he will give good advise and assist to the best of his ability.

Similarly Istikharah is to seek counsel from the all-Knowing and Merciful Allah. Once Istikharah is made then Allah Ta'ala will surely guide him to do what is best for him.

Now there can be no perplexity. Only that will happen which Allah Ta'ala wills and which is good for ones own sake though one may not be able to see it immediately. It is not necessary that one must experience or see an evident change or vision.

Allah Ta'ala alone knows what is best for His servants. It is related in the Hadith that 'Success and good tidings for the son of Aadam (Insaan) is in performing Istikharah and his misfortune lies in not making Istikharah'.

Method of Istikharah

When making Istikharah begin with performing two Rakaats Nafl Salaat. Then with all sincerity recite the following Du'a.

Allaahumma innee astakheeruka bi ilmika wa-astaqdiruka biqudratika wa-as'aluka min fadhlika al-adheem. Fa innaka taqdiru walaa aqdiru. Wa ta'lamu walaa a'alamu wa anta allaamul ghuyoob. Allaahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna haadhal-amr khayrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma'aashiy wa-aaqibat amriy, fa'qdruhliy wa-yassirh liy thumma baarik liy feehi. Wa in-kunta ta'lamu anna haadhal amr sharrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma'aashiy was-'aaqibat amriy. Fa asrifh annee wa-srif 'anhu. Wa aqdurh liyal khayr hayth kaana thumma a-rdhiniy bihee

Trans: O Allah!! Behold I ask You the good through Your Knowledge, and ability through Your Power, and beg (Your favour) out of Your infinite Bounty. For surely You have Power; I have none. You know all; I know not. You are the Great Knower of all things. O Allah! If in Your Knowledge this matter be good for my faith (Deen), for my livelihood, and for the consequences of my affairs, then ordain it for me, and make it easy for me, and bless me therein. But if in Your Knowledge, this matter be bad for my faith (Deen) for my livelihood, and for the consequences of my affairs, then turn it away from me, and turn me away therefrom, and ordain for me the good wherever it be, and cause me to be pleased therewith.

While reciting this Du'aa when one reaches Haadhal Amr (This Matter) at both places he should think of his problem.

May Allah guide and assist us all, Ameen. Allah (swt) knows best.
Ashfaque Hussain
Istikharah practiced by our Prophet Mohammed Rasool Allah Sallalaho Alaihi Wasallam (PBUH) at many occasions. It is a best method of request Allah Subhaanhu Ta'ala to gain Knowledge about something if it is really suits you.

The one who does Istikharah must follow and agree on its output. The result of Istikharah goes never wrong.

Unfortunately, very few people know about this.

Good job Noorie....

Jazakallah khair....
zashakeel

Jazak Allah, Noorie Sahiba, Good one, I would like to add some more as follows:

When one is not clear about the result of the istikhara, the fuqaha mention that it is recommend to repeat it, upto 7 times if necessary (usually done on separate occasions). [cf: Radd al-Muhtar]

It is not necessary that you get a dream or even a "feeling." Rather, the istikhara is a prayer that Allah guide you towards that which is best (khayr) for you. If you do the prayer of guidance (istikhara) with the proper manners, the most important of which is to truly consign the matter to Allah and suspend your own inclinations, then Allah will make events unfold in the direction that is the best for your worldly and next-worldly affairs.

In general, when it is not possible to perform the istikhara prayer itself (such as when one is out on the road, or in one's menstrual period), it is recommended to simply read the dua itself. [Radd al-Muhtar]

The istikhara prayer may be made for a specific matter or be made for a general seeking of all that is best. Some scholars, including Imam Abd al-Wahhab al-Sha`rani and Ibn `Arafah before him saw this kind of istikhara prayer as being superior. Others, including Shaykh Ibn al-Arabi, recommended performing a general istikhara prayer for all that is good every day, ideally at the time of the Duha prayer (after sunrise).

Imam al-Nawawi mentioned that before the istikhara prayer, one should seek advice (istishara) from those whose knowledge, wisdom, and concern one is confident. Ibn Hajar al-Haytami and others mentioned that one of the benefits of this is to further distance oneself from the desires of one's own egotistic inclinations.

zashakeel

WAY TO PERFORM ISTIKHARA:
First pray two cycles of ritual prayer [raka'] such that in the first raka' after Surah Fatiha (Allhamd…) recite Surah al-Kafirun (Chapter 109) and in the second raka' after Fatiha (Allhamd…) recite Surah al-Ikhlas (Chapter 112) and after finishing prayer [salam] then recite this (supplication/dua'):

As stated in the 1st post by Noorie

Answer:
If in the dream one sees whiteness (means any thing white in color, for example: milk, white paper, white sky, white clothes, white light etc.) or greenness (means any thing green in color, for example: grass, plants, trees, green clothes, green light etc.) then understand that this task is better and if one sees redness (means any thing red in color, for example: blood, red clothing, red fruit, red light etc.) or blackness (means any thing black in color, for example: black water, black light, black clothings, black sky, black wall etc. ) then understand it is bad and avoid it.

If do not remember any dream or do not see any colors then follow your heart. Whatever intention grows stronger in your heart regarding your targated work follow it after seven days of Istakhara.

noorie
JazakAllah khair!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.