Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hollywood Movie Reviews.........
Hamara Forums > Films > Hollywood
Pages: 1, 2
Reeth
Please review and express your feelings about the Hollywood movies old and new ,that you have watched,liked & would recommend to the other members ...... smile.gif

I start off with an all time favourite film of my entire family....i have lost count of the number of times
i have watched this since the time.....

The Ten Commandments (1956)

Click to view attachment

It is one of the Greatest movies ever made in the history of World Cinema...
The film covers the life of Moses from his discovery in a basket floating on the Nile as a baby by
Bithiah, a childless young widow and daughter of the then-Pharaoh, Rameses I, to his eventual
departure from Israel in the wake of God's judgment that he not be allowed to enter the Promised
Land. In between, the film depicts the early adulthood of Moses as a beloved foster son of
Pharaoh Seti I (successor of Rameses I and brother of Bithiah) and general of his armies, his
romance with Throne Princess Nefertari and rivalry with the Pharaoh's own son,
Prince RamesesII.

Critics have argued that considerable liberties were taken with the Biblical story, affecting the film's
claim to authenticity, but this has had little effect on its popularity.....

Aside from winning the Academy Award for Best Effects, Special Effects, it was also nominated for
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color, Best Cinematography, Color, Best Costume Design,
Color (Edith Head, Ralph Jester, John Jensen, Dorothy Jeakins and Arnold Friberg), Best Film Editing,
Best Picture and Best Sound, Recording

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cecil B DeMille’s swan song is a movie for the ages. At 75 the legendary director was at the
peak of his fame, his name a house-hold word and his voice recognized by millions. He probably
knew The Ten Commandments would be his last film it almost killed him. He certainly knew it
would be his most important.

Shot in widescreen Technicolor, The Ten Commandments remains the standard by which
Biblical epics -- and many epics in general -- are measured
When Moses turns his staff into a snake and back again, the effect is seamless. His turning of the Nile
into blood is an impressive camera trick, but his parting of the Red Sea is one of Hollywood's most
famous stunts. It's worth sitting through the 220 minutes of movie for this alone....

MAIN CAST

#Charlton Heston as Moses
# Yul Brynner as Pharaoh Rameses II
# Anne Baxter as Nefertari
# Edward G. Robinson as Dathan
# Yvonne De Carlo as Sephora
# Debra Paget as Lilia
# John Derek as Joshua
# Sir Cedric Hardwicke as Pharaoh Seti I

But the Ten Commandments isn’t about God alone.... It’s about a woman, Neferteri the beauty of
Egypt, and whom she marries will become Pharoe and rule the Earth...she prefers Moses who races
chariots and saves old women from being crushed under the monumental obilisk he is raising in honor
of Neferteri’s father — and helped by the fact he’s played by manly-man Charlton Heston who looks
great,She does not want Ramses, the delicious Yul Brenner who wants Neferteri because of the
wealth and power that comes with her.
Moses is banished and Neferteri is forced to marry Ramses instead.
History might know about Moses and Ramses, but DeMille knew about
scorned women.....

Click to view attachment

It remains one of the five most successful films of all time.It is Cecil B. DeMille’s last and arguably
greatest film.....Definitely worth watching....
Dimple
My personal favorite:

THE SOUND OF MUSIC : smile1.gif 1965
===============

Julie Andrews ... Maria

Christopher Plummer ... Captain Georg von Trapp
Richard Haydn ... Max Detweiler
Peggy Wood ... Mother Abbess
Anna Lee ... Sister Margaretta
Portia Nelson ... Sister Berthe
Ben Wright ... Herr Zeller
Daniel Truhitte ... Rolfe
Norma Varden ... Frau Schmidt
Marni Nixon ... Sister Sophia
Gilchrist Stuart ... Franz (as Gil Stuart)
Evadne Baker ... Sister Bernice
Doris Lloyd ... Baroness Eberfeld
Charmian Carr ... Liesl von Trapp

Nicholas Hammond ... Friedrich von Trapp

Maria had longed to be a nun since she was a young girl, yet when she became old enough discovered that it wasn't at all what she thought. Often in trouble and doing the wrong things, Maria is sent to the house of a retired naval captain, named Captain Von Trapp, to care for his children. Von Trapp was widowed several years before and was left to care for seven 'rowdy' children. The children have run off countless governesses. Maria soon learns that all these children need is a little love to change their attitudes. Maria teaches the children to sing, and through her, music is brought back into the hearts and home of the Von Trapp family. Unknowingly, Maria and Captain Von Trapp are falling helplessly in love, except there are two problems, the Captain is engaged, and Maria is a postulant! Written by Katy Richardson

The Sound of Music is a magical, heart - warming story of a spirited young nun - Maria who gets sent to be the governess of Captain Von Trapp's 7 children as his wife died years back & goes away alot. The Children have drove all the over governesses away by playing tricks on them, to get their father's attention however with "fraulein" (young lady) Maria they take to her kindness, and she brings music & love back into the hearts of the children & the Captain, who although is engaged to the Baroness, is falling madly in love with Maria, & she is him, it is only when the Baroness tells Maria that the Captain loves her she panics & returns to the Abby, where the Rev. Mother tells her she has to look for her life, & so she returns to the home of the Captain & Children by which time Georg Von Trapp decides he can't marry the Baroness if he's in love with Maria, & calls off his engagement & tells Maria. The happy ending comes when Maria & Georg Marry, but have to leave Austria as he has to take a position in the Navy round the time the Nazis were in Power, The Sound of Music is based on a true story surrounding The Von Trapp's, & the 40th Anniversary DVD of this has many special features inc. a 50 min documentary on the real Von Trapp Family. This is one of the best films of all time & will always be a classic for all the family. Written by Katie

Baron Von Trapp, a widower, runs his home near Salzburg like the ship he once commanded. That changes when Maria arrives from the convent to be the new governess of his seven children. Their romps through the hills inspire all to sing and to find joy in the smallest things -- like raindrops on window panes. With a renewed zest for life, the baron hosts a party to introduce his new fiance. Maria knows then she does not want to be a nun. She marries the baron. The happy ever after part is threatened when Austria's new German rulers want the baron back in military service. Written by Dale O'Connor {daleoc@interaccess.com}

Maria is a failure as a nun. The Mother Superior sends her off in answer to a letter from a retired naval captain for a governess for his seven children. She goes to their house and finds that she is the latest in a long line of governesses run off by the children. She teaches the children to sing and that becomes their bonding force, of course leading her to fall in love with their father and marries him. As this is happening Austria votes to be assumed by Germany on the eve of World war II. Written by John Vogel {jlvogel@comcast.net}

Captain Baron von Trapp is a widowed ex-naval officer with seven children who serve only to remind him of his deceased wife. The Von Trapp home is thus turned into a gloomy place of order and discipline, until the arrival of a new governess: Frauline Marie who is from a nearby Salzburg abbey. Marie shows the Von Trapp children the miracle of the Sound of Music, and teaches them how to sing. Captain von Trapp's heart opens up to feelings he had forgotten and he and Marie fall in love. Marie and Georg von Trapp are married, only to have their world brought down around them by the 1938 Anschluss of Austria, where Nazi Germany takes control of the country and demands that Captain von Trapp assume a position in the German Navy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YaarMere
How cool was Yul Brynner I ask?? He goes: "I'm told that I can rely on you - rely on you to sell your own mother 4 a price" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Reeth
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Jul 18 2007, 10:54 PM) *

How cool was Yul Brynner I ask?? He goes: "I'm told that I can rely on you - rely on you to sell your own mother 4 a price" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

biggrin.gif LOL That to Edward Robinson,playing Dathan in the movie right?? this guy below??

Click to view attachment
Dimple
Cleopatra (1963)

Director:Joseph L. Mankiewicz
more
Writers:Plutarch (histories) and
Suetonius (histories) ...
more
Release Date:31 July 1963 (UK) more
Genre:Biography / Drama / History / Romance more
Tagline:The motion picture the world has been waiting for!
Plot Outline:Historical epic. The triumphs and tragedy of the Egyptian queen, Cleopatra. more
Plot Synopsis:This plot synopsis is empty. Add a synopsis
Plot Keywords:Alexandria Egypt / Food Taster / Roman Empire / Father Son Relationship / Fire more
Awards:Won 4 Oscars. Another 3 wins & 11 nominations

Elizabeth Taylor ... Cleopatra

Richard Burton ... Marc Antony

Rex Harrison ... Julius Caesar
Pamela Brown ... High Priestess
George Cole ... Flavius

Hume Cronyn ... Sosigenes
Cesare Danova ... Apollodorus
Kenneth Haigh ... Brutus
Andrew Keir ... Agrippa

Martin Landau ... Rufio

Roddy McDowall ... Octavian - Caesar Augustus
Robert Stephens ... Germanicus
Francesca Annis ... Eiras, Cleopatra's handmaiden
Grégoire Aslan ... Pothinus (as Gregoire Aslan)
Martin Benson ... Ramos

I have always thought it was one of the most underrated Hollywood epics.First of all,it's only partially an epic:most of the scenes are intimate,generally two characters who are constantly tearing each other apart.Joseph L. Mankiewicz,one of the most intelligent director of his time,rewrote the dialogue during the shooting,night after night ,and the results are stunning,considering the difficulties he encountered with his budget and his stars.Cleopatra's dream is perfectly recreated,much better than in De Mille 's version -a good one,though-:It's Alexandre the great 's plan ,this Alexandre from whom she's descended,to make a huge empire,uniting the Orient and the Occident.One of the major scenes takes place near the great conqueror's grave .The second part has Shakespeareans accents:Cleopatra becomes some kind of Lady Macbeth,and Marc Anthony is left alone against the whole Roman army (the Shakespearian trees).The last lines (repeated twice) are some of the finest you can find in an epic movie.And look how Fellini has been influenced by Mankiewicz for the final of his "Satyricon":the photograph turning into a fresco. As for the epic scenes,they are here,of course but they are little over 20% of the movie.And to Cleo's awesome Rome entrance ,you can prefer Ceasar's epilepsy fit.The actors are not as uneven as it's often said.Elizabeth Taylor had already worked with Mankiewicz (the extraordinary "suddenly last Summer") and she learned a lot with him;she's now ready for the great roles of the sixties:"Virginia Woolf","Secret ceremony" "taming of the shrew".Richard Burton had been "Alexander the great" (coincidence!) in a rather academic movie,and here he portrays a clumsy,almost Don Quixotesque Marc Anthony with art.However,Rex Harrison steals the show in the first half.Supporting actors ,including Roddy MCDowall ,a puny but shrewd Octavious,and Richard O'Sullivan ,an effeminate Ptolemy. This visual poem,a feast for the eye and for the mind must be restored to favor.

YaarMere
QUOTE(Reeth @ Jul 18 2007, 08:48 PM) *

biggrin.gif LOL That to Edward Robinson,playing Dathan in the movie right?? this guy below??

Yes. Thatz him.

Charlton Heston goes to Yul that your horses need rest when they get tired, these slaves too need rest. Yul's reply:

"Slaves draw stone and brick. My horses draw the next Pharaoh."

Lol! Lol! My guy gets 10/10 4 smugness.
Nidhi
"So it shall be written & So it shall be done"
Reeth
Good choice Dimple thumbs-up.gif both 'Sound Of Music 'and 'Cleopatra' are classics...go on
with your choice of movies smile.gif

Another favourite movie of mine,one never gets tired of watching this any number of times...
Mackenna's Gold (1969)

Click to view attachment

Mackenna's Gold a Western film released i the year 1969 ,directed by J. Lee Thompson, starring
Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif and Camilla Sparv. It tells the story of how the lure of gold corrupts a
diverse group of people.......

The story goes.....An old legend talks about a fortune in gold hidden in the 'Canyon del Oro', guarded
by the Apache gods. A man named Adams found it, only to have the Indians capture and blind him and
kill all his companions. Years later, Marshal Mackenna (Gregory Peck) kills an Indian chief who
tried to bushwack him and comes into possession of a map that supposedly shows the way to the
treasure. Though sceptical, he memorizes the directions before burning the map.

Click to view attachment

Meanwhile, notorious Mexican outlaw Colorado (Omar Sharif) and his gang had been tracking the
old man for two weeks to get the map, all while being chased by the U.S. army. He takes shelter in
the house of the old judge of the town of Blaskburg, stealing horses, mules and food for his journey.
He kills the judge and kidnaps his daughter, Inga Bergmann (Camilla Sparv), as a hostage in
case the cavalry catches up with him.

When he finds that MacKenna has destroyed the map, he threatens Inga in order to force the lawman
into leading them to the canyon.On their trek, they are joined by a posse of townsmen who become
infected by gold fever, among them a newspaper editor, a storekeeper, a priest and old Adams
himself......
They are trailed by the cavalry, under the leadership of Sergeant Tibbs (Telly Savalas). Almost
everyone in the gang, (execpt for Mackenna, Colorado, Inga, Hesh-ke, and Hachita), are killed in
an ambush by the cavalary or by other Apaches, (who are trying to protect the gold from outsiders).
Tibbs periodically sends messengers back to his commanding officer, supposedly to keep him informed.
Eventually, the patrol is whittled down to just a couple of men. At that point, Tibbs kills them and joins
the outlaws.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Finally they reach the place specified in the map, where a tall rock tower, 'The Shaking Rock', stands.
As the sun rises on the specified day, the shadow of the pinnacle points to the hidden entrance to the
canyon. Seeing this, MacKenna, who had been skeptical until then, begins to believe in the legend.....

Directed by J. Lee Thompson
Produced by Carl Foreman,Dimitri Tiomkin
Written by Heck Allen (novel)Carl Foreman

[b]Starring

Gregory Peck
Omar Sharif
Camilla Sparv
Julie Newmar
Lee J. Cobb
Telly Savales

Music by Quincey Jones[/b]
Running time 128 min.
mmuk2004
Reminds me of two of my favorites by Mankiewicz, All About Eve(1950) and Sleuth(1972). All About Eve is about a brilliant, magnetic, erratic and bitchy Broadway star, Margot Channing(Bettie Davis) who has already reached her peak and Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter) who is her fan who wants to step into her shoes... all the way. The movie is studded with fascinating characters, sharply observed situations, and exhilaratingly witty dialogue. The film got numerous nominations for the Oscars and won the best director, best screenplay and best supporting actor (George Sanders in a superb performance as a cynical drama critic). The film is an absolute must see...

And ditto for Sleuth. Mind Game at its best by two masters of their trade, Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine and some superb dialogues. A treat.

Roger Ebert on Sleuth
SLEUTH, a totally engrossing entertainment, is funny and scary by turns, and always superbly theatrical. It's the kind of mystery we keep saying they don't make anymore, but sometimes they do, and the British seem to write them better than anyone. The movie is based on the long-running play by Anthony Shaffer, who also wrote Hitchcock's FRENZY. Both films have in common a nice flair for dialogue and a delicate counterpoint between the ironic and the gruesome.
What really makes the movie come alive--what makes it work better than the play, really--are the lead performances by Lord Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine, and Alec Cawthorne. Olivier plays the wealthy mystery writer Andrew Wyke as a true-blue British eccentric: His head, like his house, is cluttered with ornate artifacts largely without function. The hero of his detective stories, the wonderfully named St. John Lord Merridewe, is equally dotty. Olivier is clearly having fun in the role, and he throws in all kinds of accents, asides, and nutty pieces of business. Michael Caine, who might seem an unlikely candidate to play Milo Tindle, turns out to be a very good one. He manages somehow to seem smaller and less assured than Olivier (even while he towers over Olivier). And he is strangely touching as he dresses up in an absurd clown's costume to steal the jewels. Inspector Doppler, the kindly old investigator who suspects that Andrew has murdered Milo, is played by Alec Cawthorne, a veteran stage actor making his movie debut
Reeth
madhavi Thanks a lot for for reviewing 2 of the finest movies bow.gif .........i am yet to see All about Eve ,but 've heard a lot about Bette Davis and this movie....definitely will look out for it.....
seen Sleuth and liked it a lot......... ......i have always liked Michael caine and his kind of restrained acting....Laurence Olivier is another great actor......

Click to view attachment
mmuk2004
You are welcome Reeth, just found a wonderful clip of the movie on Youtube. Davis throwing a fit with aplomb, fighting with the whole world, her playright, her director and boyfriend and her producer.

And the trailer of Sleuth:

mmuk2004
Here is another couple of favorite movies from the great director Billy Wilder. I like most of his movies and he made vastly different kinds of movies from film noir to screwball comedy. Let me begin with his two big hits with Marilyn Monroe in the fifties, The Seven Year Itch(1955) and Some Like it Hot(1959), two films that really defined the fascinating sexuality of Monroe.

The Seven Year Itch(1955) is a comedy about marital infidelity set in New York city. Richard Sherman (Eweing) is a typical businessman publisher who has sent his wife and son to Maine to escape the sweltering heat of New York in summer and plans to be good in their absence.His resolutions are completely forgotten when his tenant from upstairs drops her flowerpot on him and walks into his air-conditioned apartment and his imagination runs riot. Based on a risque Broadway play, Wilder with his scriptwriter had to really work on their lines and scenes in the film to get around the strict film censorship board of the fifties. The resulting film is brilliant for its interplay of the suggestive and the innocent and Monroe epitomises that to a T. It has the famous subway grate scene that has Monroe standing on the subway grate with her skirt flying up around her waist.

Here is a brief scene from the movie:

Some Like it Hot (1959) is a personal favorite about two musicians(Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis), in Chicago, who witness the Valentine Day's Massacre and are hotly pursued by the gangsters, to escape whom they dress in drag and join an all girl's band which has Monroe as the lead singer. (Reminds you of Rafoochakkar? Don't even go there, the hindi version just got the shell of the story...all the daring suggestiveness slyly introduced in the film by Wilder is completely lost in the Hindi version). The film has some superb repartees and one-liners, the best being the one with which the movie ends. The film is completely absurd with the typical underlying cynicism of Wilder, cushioned beautifully with some superb acting and sparkling wit. The comic timing of the duo is perfect and Marilyn sizzles in the movie. Marilyn was notorious for the number of takes she needed for the simplest of scenes and dialogues, but watch her on screen and she seems a natural.
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 24 2007, 08:16 AM) *

You are welcome Reeth, just found a wonderful clip of the movie on Youtube. Davis throwing a fit with aplomb, fighting with the whole world, her playright, her director and boyfriend and her producer.

And the trailer of Sleuth:

Thanks a lot Madhavi..... smile.gif
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 24 2007, 10:39 AM) *

Here is another couple of favorite movies from the great director Billy Wilder. I like most of his movies and he made vastly different kinds of movies from film noir to screwball comedy. Let me begin with his two big hits with Marilyn Monroe in the fifties, The Seven Year Itch(1955) and Some Like it Hot(1959), two films that really defined the fascinating sexuality of Monroe.

The Seven Year Itch(1955) is a comedy about marital infidelity set in New York city. Richard Sherman (Eweing) is a typical businessman publisher who has sent his wife and son to Maine to escape the sweltering heat of New York in summer and plans to be good in their absence.His resolutions are completely forgotten when his tenant from upstairs drops her flowerpot on him and walks into his air-conditioned apartment and his imagination runs riot. Based on a risque Broadway play, Wilder with his scriptwriter had to really work on their lines and scenes in the film to get around the strict film censorship board of the fifties. The resulting film is brilliant for its interplay of the suggestive and the innocent and Monroe epitomises that to a T. It has the famous subway grate scene that has Monroe standing on the subway grate with her skirt flying up around her waist.

Here is a brief scene from the movie:

Some Like it Hot (1959) is a personal favorite about two musicians(Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis), in Chicago, who witness the Valentine Day's Massacre and are hotly pursued by the gangsters, to escape whom they dress in drag and join an all girl's band which has Monroe as the lead singer. (Reminds you of Rafoochakkar? Don't even go there, the hindi version just got the shell of the story...all the daring suggestiveness slyly introduced in the film by Wilder is completely lost in the Hindi version). The film has some superb repartees and one-liners, the best being the one with which the movie ends. The film is completely absurd with the typical underlying cynicism of Wilder, cushioned beautifully with some superb acting and sparkling wit. The comic timing of the duo is perfect and Marilyn sizzles in the movie. Marilyn was notorious for the number of takes she needed for the simplest of scenes and dialogues, but watch her on screen and she seems a natural.

Have seen both.....Seven Year Itch is incredibly funny....
the famous scene....

Click to view attachment
Reeth
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)

Yet another favourite of mine...........The best Spaghetti Western to date.....

Click to view attachment

Italian master Sergio Leone's "The Good, The Bad & the Ugly" is an epic Western of
mythic proportions. Most directors never come close to making a film this good. The amazing thing
about Leone is that he actually eclipsed this accomplishment two years later with "Once Upon a Time
in the West." "The Good, The Bad & the Ugly" was Leone's final film with Clint Eastwood. The three
Eastwood/Leone films have erroneously been called the "Dollars Trilogy" or "The Man With No Name
Trilogy." The fact is, Eastwood played three different characters in the films and each one had a
different name.

Leone's trilogy of spaghetti westerns (the first two were A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few DollarMore).
In this sweeping film, the characters form treacherous alliances in a ruthless quest for Confederate gold.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Leone's reinvention of the western reaches its epic apotheosis in a movie about the pursuit of gold lost
by the Confederates during the Civil War in the Texas theater. Clint Eastwood is the "good"
(slow to anger, but quick on the trigger), Lee Van Cleef is the bad (an elegant exemplar of
absolute evil) and Eli Wallach is the "ugly" (a menacingly funny, totally amoral bandido
whose relationship with the Eastwood character consists largely of betrayals). Leone's magnificent style is
all contrasts (huge panoramic shots alternating with tight close-ups, very slow build-ups to lightning-fast action)
This perfectly matches a narrative that encompasses sadistic brutality, wild humor and, yes, a tragic vision
of war and its consequences......

Click to view attachment

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is one of the most enjoyable and fascinating films to ever
come out of the western genre- spaghetti or otherwise.........
Absolutely recommended.

mmuk2004
Have always wanted to see a Sergio Leone film. Had to cultivate a taste for Westerns. So started watching them chronologically. Hence have not reached the Spagetti Western genre yet. Among the early Westerns(40s and 50s) check out John Wayne in Howard Hawks' Red River(1948) and Rio Bravo(1959) and John Ford's Searchers(1956). John Huston's The Treasure of Sierra Madre(1948) and John Stevens' Shane(1952).

My favorite is High Noon(1952) a low budget, stark short Western by Fred Zinneman, which is actually different from the usual lavish epic Westerns which foreground male camaraderie and action...Has Gary Cooper looking world weary and the gorgeous Grace Kelly as his quaker wife who are the only two people in the cowardly town to face the villain. Howard Hawks answer to the film was Rio Bravo(1959) where male bonding and aspects of heroism emerge from the unlikeliest quarters. Was very entertaining too...

Will provide the pics later, if someone else can please oblige.
mmuk2004
Film Noir

Here is some info on Film noir, a genre that I love... they were mostly B-grade movies made in Hollywood in the forties and fifties(classic film noir), on shoe-string budgets. They have gained a kind of cult status over the years and have now become a very respectable area of study. Though they cover a wide range of genres and issues, there are some typical stylistic elements of a film noir: It is situated mostly in cities, using the dramatic interplay of dark and light(very effective in black and white films) with plenty of cigarette smoke filling its spaces. It is a morally ambiguous universe inhabited by cynical detectives/cops/private agents, sexy femme fatales, and very often uses voiceovers and flashbacks, that underscore the pervasive sense of fatalism underlying the smart, suggestive, cynical conversation of the characters very often involved in a convoluted games of one upmanship.

A tribute to Film Noir

Wilder made two of the most fascinating films of this genre, Double Indemnity(1944) and Sunset Boulevard (1950). Both movies have stunning opening scenes that set the pace and mood of the films.

Double Indemnity for example begins with a man limping up to his office in the middle of the night and saying into a dictaphone : "Yes, I killed him. I did it for the money. And for a woman. And I didn't get the money. And I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?"

A trailer of Double Indemnity

In Sunset Boulevard the narrator is already dead, floating face down in a swimming pool when he starts narrating the story about how it all began...

A trailer of Sunset Boulevard
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 27 2007, 12:52 PM) *

Have always wanted to see a Sergio Leone film. Had to cultivate a taste for Westerns. So started watching them chronologically. Hence have not reached the Spagetti Western genre yet. Among the early Westerns(40s and 50s) check out John Wayne in Howard Hawks' Red River(1948) and Rio Bravo(1959) and John Ford's Searchers(1956). John Huston's The Treasure of Sierra Madre(1948) and John Stevens' Shane(1952).

My favorite is High Noon(1952) a low budget, stark short Western by Fred Zinneman, which is actually different from the usual lavish epic Westerns which foreground male camaraderie and action...Has Gary Cooper looking world weary and the gorgeous Grace Kelly as his quaker wife who are the only two people in the cowardly town to face the villain. Howard Hawks answer to the film was Rio Bravo(1959) where male bonding and aspects of heroism emerge from the unlikeliest quarters. Was very entertaining too...

Will provide the pics later, if someone else can please oblige.

I have seen High noon.....the other westerns that i have seen and liked are Magnificent seven ride,For a few
Dollars more , once upon a time in the wild west and Fistful of Dollars.......
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 30 2007, 09:49 AM) *

Film Noir

Here is some info on Film noir, a genre that I love... they were mostly B-grade movies made in Hollywood in the forties and fifties(classic film noir), on shoe-string budgets. They have gained a kind of cult status over the years and have now become a very respectable area of study. Though they cover a wide range of genres and issues, there are some typical stylistic elements of a film noir: It is situated mostly in cities, using the dramatic interplay of dark and light(very effective in black and white films) with plenty of cigarette smoke filling its spaces. It is a morally ambiguous universe inhabited by cynical detectives/cops/private agents, sexy femme fatales, and very often uses voiceovers and flashbacks, that underscore the pervasive sense of fatalism underlying the smart, suggestive, cynical conversation of the characters very often involved in a convoluted games of one upmanship.

A tribute to Film Noir

Wilder made two of the most fascinating films of this genre, Double Indemnity(1944) and Sunset Boulevard (1950). Both movies have stunning opening scenes that set the pace and mood of the films.

Double Indemnity for example begins with a man limping up to his office in the middle of the night and saying into a dictaphone : "Yes, I killed him. I did it for the money. And for a woman. And I didn't get the money. And I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?"

A trailer of Double Indemnity

In Sunset Boulevard the narrator is already dead, floating face down in a swimming pool when he starts narrating the story about how it all began...

A trailer of Sunset Boulevard

Thanks a lot Madhavi....
found this on the net....Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize moral ambiguity and sexual motivation. Hollywood's classic film noir period is generally regarded as stretching from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography, while many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Depression....

Click to view attachment
This still from The Big Combo (1955) demonstrates the visual style
of film noir at its most extreme. John Alton, the film's cinematographer,
created many of the iconic images of film noir.

mmuk2004
QUOTE(Reeth @ Jul 30 2007, 06:39 AM) *

Thanks a lot Madhavi....
found this on the net....Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize moral ambiguity and sexual motivation. Hollywood's classic film noir period is generally regarded as stretching from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography, while many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Depression....

Click to view attachment

You are very welcome, Reeth. Love the topic you have initiated. That still from the Big Combo indeed is archetypal film noir. Scene of the crime, the man and the woman somehow implicated in the scene of the crime, shadows and light, smoke ...et al

Btw, how did you miss out on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in your Western lineup...? Also check out Midnight Cowboy.
mmuk2004
A useful introduction to Film Noir:

Have cut and pasted from the link below:
http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue02/infocus/filmnoir.htm

Film Noir: An Introduction

Dark rooms with light slicing through venetian blinds, alleys cluttered with garbage, abandoned warehouses where dust hangs in the air, rain-slickened streets with water still running in the gutters, dark detective offices overlooking busy streets: this is the stuff of film noir--that most magnificent of film forms--a perfect blend of form and content, where the desperation and hopelessness of the situations is reflected in the visual style, which drenches the world in shadows and only occasional bursts of sunlight. Film noir, occasionally acerbic, usually cynical, and often enthralling, gave us characters trying to elude some mysterious past that continues to haunt them, hunting them down with a fatalism that taunts and teases before delivering the final, definitive blow.

Unlike other forms of cinema, the film noir has no paraphernalia that it can truly call its own. Unlike the western, with cattle drives, lonely towns on the prairie, homesteading farmers, Winchester rifles, and Colt 45s, the film noir borrows its paraphernalia from other forms, usually from the crime and detective genres, but often overlapping into thrillers, horror, and even science fiction (as in the great "what's it" box from Kiss Me Deadly). The visual style echoes German expressionism, painting shafts of light that temporarily illuminate small chunks of an ominous and overbearing universe that limits a person's chances to slim and none. For as Paul Schrader said in his influential "Notes on Film Noir" essay, "No character can speak authoritatively from a space which is continually being cut into ribbons of light."

Out of the Past, for example, is one of the archetypal noirs, giving us a protagonist who has tried to escape his past (he betrayed a partner by running away with his girlfriend), but fate won't let him escape. He inhabits a world that constantly pulls people back into a morass of existence that is bound to suffocate them. Jeff (played by Robert Mitchum) is a seemingly good guy, but one bad turn has made his life a hell that he can never completely escape. Kirk Douglas plays the racketeer who needs to use Jeff and he does so by planting one of the great femmes fatales, Jane Greer, within Jeff's easy reach. And she consumes him.

The femme fatale would play a crucial role in the film noir, whether in the guise of Jane Greer in Out of the Past, Rita Hayworth in Lady From Shanghai, Veronica Lake in The Blue Dahlia, Joan Bennett in Scarlet Street, Peggy Cummins in Gun Crazy, Gloria Grahame in Human Desire, Lizbeth Scott in Dead Reckoning, Ava Gardner in The Killers, or Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity. These women were black widows who slowly drew in the heroes with come-hither looks and breathless voices. Communicating a danger of sex that is worthy of the '90s AIDS epidemic, the femme fatale knew how to use men to get whatever she wanted, whether it was just a little murder between lovers (as in Double Indemnity) or a wild, on-the-run lifestyle (as in Gun Crazy). The femme fatale was always there to help pull the hero down. And in the case of Mildred Pierce, we even get a femme fatale in the form of a daughter who threatens to destroy her mother's life.

Heroes in the film noir world would forever struggle to survive. Some of the heroes learned to play by the rules of film noir and survived by exposing corruption, such as Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep and Dick Powell in Murder, My Sweet. But more often than not, they were the saps destroyed by love (Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity and Edward G. Robinson in Scarlet Street), a past transgression (Robert Mitchum in Out of the Past), or overly ambitious goals (Richard Widmark in Night and the City and Sterling Hayden in The Killing).

Titles like Pitfall, Nightmare, Kiss of Death, and Edge of Doom describe what you'll find in film noir. And titles like Night and the City, Side Street, Hell's Island and The Asphalt Jungle convey the terrain. But maybe it's titles such as The Big Heat and The Big Sleep that most simply convey the film noir essence--an overpowering force that can't be avoided.

Film noir first appeared in the early '40s in movies such as Stranger on the Third Floor (often cited as the first full-fledged noir) and This Gun For Hire. While soldiers went to war, film noir exposed a darker side of life, balancing the optimism of Hollywood musicals and comedies by supplying seedy, two-bit criminals and doom-laden atmospheres. While Hollywood strove to help keep public morale high, film noir gave us a peek into the alleys and backrooms of a world filled with corruption. And film noir remained an important form in Hollywood until the late '50s. Films such as Touch of Evil (1958) closed out the cycle. By then, the crime and detective genres were playing out their dramas in bright lights, with movies such as The Lineup containing noir elements but not the iconography of darkened streets and chiaroscuro lighting. (Post-'50s noirs such as Farewell, My Lovely and Body Heat are nostalgia first and noirs second.)
mmuk2004
Two more noirs from another favorite director, Orson Welles, the enfant terrible of Hollywood. The production stories of each film of Welles are as sensational as the films themselves, and the mystery still continues to intrigue critics and buffs about what those films would be like if Welles had been allowed to make them the way he wanted to...

The Lady from Shanghai(1948): It had Rita Hayworth sporting a short cropped blonde style (Welles had made her crop her famous luxurious red hair for the movie) and Welles himself as the doomed Irish sailor(sporting a bad Irish accent) who falls for her. The plot is a complicated whodunit with many plots and sub plots, some believable some not, but watch the movie for its characters, details, the amazing photography and the superb last scene in the hall of mirrors. The film was as doomed as its theme, the chief of production and Welles could not see eye to eye, Welles and Hayworth filed for divorce before the release of the film, and though the film was complete in 1947, it was not not released till 1948 and that too was hacked by nearly an hour and filled in with explanatory scenes by the producer who insisted the audience would not be able to understand the film otherwise.

This is how the movie starts :
When I start out to make a fool of myself, there's very little can stop me. If I'd known where it would end, I'd never let anything start, if I'd been in my right mind, that is. But once I'd seen her, once I'd seen her, I was not in my right mind for quite some time...me, with plenty of time and nothing to do but get myself in trouble. Some people can smell danger, not me.

Here is just a little bit of the amazing last scene of the movie, it has spoilers though:

And there are stilll the missing forty minutes of the movie hacked by the producers that the fans hope to find some day...
mmuk2004
Ten years after being a pariah in Hollywood, Welles returned to make another sensational noir, A Touch of Evil(1958), at the behest of the hero (Charton Heston) who had the star power to insist that Welles, who was also acting in the movie, be allowed to direct it. This was the last film he made in Hollywood.

Once again the fascination of the film lies in the characters, the 300 pound Hank Quinlan (played by Welles in a self parodic mode), the settings (Welles takes the audience into seedy strip clubs and the dark alleys and brothels of the border town) and the show-stealing cameo of Marlene Dietrich as Han Quinlan's ex lover, now brothel madame, who gets some superb lines:

You're a mess, honey. You ought to lay off those candy bars.

Come on, read my future for me.
You haven't got any.
What do you mean?
Your future is all used up.

He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people.

The 93 mt. version of the movie that was released in 1958 had been badly hacked again by Universal, and Welles disowned the movie shooting off a 58 page memo to the producer about his vision of the movie. It is on the basis of this memo that recent attempts (I believe 4) have been made to reconstruct the movie in accordance with the director's original vision.

Here is an excerpt from a review of the movie:

Completely ignored by the Oscars, it was regarded as a rebellious, unorthodox, bizarre, and outrageously exaggerated film, affronting respectable 1950's sensibilities, with controversial themes including racism, betrayal of friends, sexual ambiguity, frameups, drugs, and police corruption of power. Its central character is an obsessed, driven, and bloated police captain ("a lousy cop") - a basically tragic figure who has a "touch of evil" in his enforcement of the law. Its other unusual and seedy characters include a nervous and sex-crazed motel manager, a blind shopkeeper, a drug smuggler, a sweaty drug dealer with a poorly-fitting wig, a terrorizing gang of juvenile delinquents, and an intense good cop - an international narcotics officer who is honeymooning (but ignores his wife), all in a sleazy border town (and a number of dark hotel rooms) within a twenty-four hour period.

The film opens with its most famous sequence. It's an audacious, incredible, breathtaking, three-minute, uninterrupted crane tracking shot under the credits (appearing superimposed on the left of the screen). The entire tracking shot covers four blocks from start to finish. In a close-up, hands set an explosive, timed device. A shadowy figure runs and places it in the trunk of a parked convertible. The pounding of bongo drums and blare of brass instruments are heard (Henry Mancini's score), accompanied by the ticking-tocking of the mechanism on the soundtrack. The camera pulls away sharply, identifying the car's location - it is parked on a street in a seedy Mexican border town. An unsuspecting, wealthy American man - Rudi Linnekar (the boss of the town) and his giggling, blonde floozy, mistress/girlfriend [later, we learn she is a striptease dancer named Zita] emerge out of the background darkness and get into the car, driving off through the streets toward the US-Mexican border about four blocks away.

From high above, the camera tracks the movement of the doomed pair in the shiny car through the squalid-looking town. It is a dark night as they drive through the town, the setting for the rest of the film. In the border town, there are flashing neon and electric signs, tawdry hotels and stripjoint nightclubs ("The Paradise"), crumbling arches, dark roofs, winding streets and twisting alleys with peeling posters on sides of walls and houses, heaps of trash, and vendors pushing carts. The black-and-white visuals emphasize the seedy atmosphere and the moral decadence, decay, and nightmarish dirtiness of the scene.

And here's that brilliant opening sequence of the movie
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 31 2007, 05:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Reeth @ Jul 30 2007, 06:39 AM) *

Thanks a lot Madhavi....

Click to view attachment

You are very welcome, Reeth. Love the topic you have initiated. That still from the Big Combo indeed is archetypal film noir. Scene of the crime, the man and the woman somehow implicated in the scene of the crime, shadows and light, smoke ...et al

Btw, how did you miss out on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in your Western lineup...? Also check out Midnight Cowboy.

Thanks Madhavi.......seen both Butch cassidy and Midnight cowboy......great movies.....
By the way i liked Jon Voight in The Odessa file........
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 31 2007, 09:55 PM) *

Two more noirs from another favorite director, Orson Welles, the enfant terrible of Hollywood. The production stories of each film of Welles is as sensational as the films themselves, and the mystery still continues to intrigue critics and buffs about what those films would be like if Welles has been allowed to make them the way he wanted to...

The Lady from Shanghai(1948): It had Rita Hayworth sporting a short cropped blonde style (Welles had made her crop her famous luxurious red hair for the movie) and Welles himself as the doomed Irish sailor(sporting a bad Irish accent) who falls for her. The plot is a complicated whodunit with many plots and sub plots, some believable some not, but watch the movie for its characters, details, the amazing photography and the superb last scene in the hall of mirrors. The film was as doomed as its theme, the chief of production and Welles could not see eye to eye, Welles and Hayworth filed for divorce before the release of the film, and though the film was complete in 1947, it was not not released till 1948 and that too was hacked by nearly an hour and filled in with explanatory scenes by the producer who insisted the audience would not be able to understand the film otherwise.

This is how the movie starts :
When I start out to make a fool of myself, there's very little can stop me. If I'd known where it would end, I'd never let anything start, if I'd been in my right mind, that is. But once I'd seen her, once I'd seen her, I was not in my right mind for quite some time...me, with plenty of time and nothing to do but get myself in trouble. Some people can smell danger, not me.

Here is just a little bit of the amazing last scene of the movie, it has spoilers though:

And there are stilll the missing forty minutes of the movie hacked by the producers that the fans hope to find some day...

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 31 2007, 10:26 PM) *

Ten years after being a pariah in Hollywood, Welles returned to make another sensational noir,[b] A Touch of Evil(1958), at the behest of the hero (Charton Heston) who had the star power to insist that Welles, who was also acting in the movie, be allowed to direct it. This was the last film he made in Hollywood.

Once again the fascination of the film lies in the characters, the 300 pound Hank Quinlan (played by Welles in a self parodic mode), the settings (Welles takes the audience into seedy strip clubs and the dark alleys and brothels of the border town) and the show-stealing cameo of Marlene Dietrich as Han Quinlan's ex lover, now brothel madame, who gets some superb lines:

You're a mess, honey. You ought to lay off those candy bars. [/b] Come on, read my future for me.
You haven't got any.
What do you mean?
Your future is all used up.

He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people.

The 93 mt. version of the movie that was released in 1958 had been badly hacked again by Universal, and Welles disowned the movie shooting off a 58 page memo to the producer about his vision of the movie. It is on the basis of this memo that recent attempts (I believe 4) have been made to reconstruct the movie in accordance with the director's original vision.

Here is an excerpt from a review of the movie:

Completely ignored by the Oscars, it was regarded as a rebellious, unorthodox, bizarre, and outrageously exaggerated film, affronting respectable 1950's sensibilities, with controversial themes including racism, betrayal of friends, sexual ambiguity, frameups, drugs, and police corruption of power. Its central character is an obsessed, driven, and bloated police captain ("a lousy cop") - a basically tragic figure who has a "touch of evil" in his enforcement of the law. Its other unusual and seedy characters include a nervous and sex-crazed motel manager, a blind shopkeeper, a drug smuggler, a sweaty drug dealer with a poorly-fitting wig, a terrorizing gang of juvenile delinquents, and an intense good cop - an international narcotics officer who is honeymooning (but ignores his wife), all in a sleazy border town (and a number of dark hotel rooms) within a twenty-four hour period.

The film opens with its most famous sequence. It's an audacious, incredible, breathtaking, three-minute, uninterrupted crane tracking shot under the credits (appearing superimposed on the left of the screen). The entire tracking shot covers four blocks from start to finish. In a close-up, hands set an explosive, timed device. A shadowy figure runs and places it in the trunk of a parked convertible. The pounding of bongo drums and blare of brass instruments are heard (Henry Mancini's score), accompanied by the ticking-tocking of the mechanism on the soundtrack. The camera pulls away sharply, identifying the car's location - it is parked on a street in a seedy Mexican border town. An unsuspecting, wealthy American man - Rudi Linnekar (the boss of the town) and his giggling, blonde floozy, mistress/girlfriend [later, we learn she is a striptease dancer named Zita] emerge out of the background darkness and get into the car, driving off through the streets toward the US-Mexican border about four blocks away.

From high above, the camera tracks the movement of the doomed pair in the shiny car through the squalid-looking town. It is a dark night as they drive through the town, the setting for the rest of the film. In the border town, there are flashing neon and electric signs, tawdry hotels and stripjoint nightclubs ("The Paradise"), crumbling arches, dark roofs, winding streets and twisting alleys with peeling posters on sides of walls and houses, heaps of trash, and vendors pushing carts. The black-and-white visuals emphasize the seedy atmosphere and the moral decadence, decay, and nightmarish dirtiness of the scene.

And here's that brilliant opening sequence of the movie

Thanks a lot Madhavi.... bow.gif i simply love the way you write, you have a way with words.....i am able to visualise the scene as i read ......
mmuk2004
Sorry Reeth, about the slightly out of context post. A brief reminder about Ingmar Bergman. Not Hollywood certainly, but enough of Hollywood (to its credit) has been influenced by him.

Finally the grand old man died...and that too on the same day as Antonioni. Had been dreading the day it would happen, having watched a number of his films, I have always been amazed at how personally a number of his films touched me, considering how distinctly different his lived experience was from mine.

One cannot help but mention his Seventh Seal in an occasion such as this. Heavily and ostentatiously symbolic, it is about a knight who comes back from the crusades and finds that his country has been ravaged by the plague. Death comes for him too, and in his desperation he challenges him to a game of chess. He knows the outcome but plays for time...

Here is the famous scene:

And Here is the trailer:

A film about faith and belief, Ingmar's knight opts for a wry, wavering, disappointing, and constantly questioned belief rather than accept the bleak alternative that there is no meaning in life. And that, btw is a terribly reductive reading of Bergman's richly layered film. And this is not even my favorite Bergman film (if you like Bergman, you will always have your treasured favorites among his repetoire of about fifty films...). For me, his most stunning films were Wild Strawberries and Persona, and a cherished light one is Smiles of a Summer Night.
mmuk2004
And what can film noir be without Bogey...I promise not to impose any more noirs after these two:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Don't worry about the plot in The Maltese Falcon (actually that is true of most Noirs), note the style, the tough talking hero and the mood. The film made a legend out of Bogart. Consider this dialogue with which the hero sends the woman to the gallows after she pleads with him not to give her over to the law:

''I hope they don't hang you, precious, by that sweet neck. . . . The chances are you'll get off with life. That means if you're a good girl, you'll be out in 20 years. I'll be waiting for you. If they hang you, I'll always remember you.''

Here's an excerpt from Ebert:

Some film histories consider ''The Maltese Falcon'' the first film noir. It put down the foundations for that native American genre of mean streets, knife-edged heroes, dark shadows and tough dames.

Of course film noir was waiting to be born. It was already there in the novels of Dashiell Hammett, who wrote The Maltese Falcon, and the work of Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, John O'Hara and the other boys in the back room. ''Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean,'' wrote Chandler, and that was true of his hero Philip Marlowe (another Bogart character). But it wasn't true of Hammett's Sam Spade, who was mean, and who set the stage for a decade in which unsentimental heroes talked tough and cracked wise.

Cold. Spade is cold and hard, like his name. When he gets the news that his partner has been murdered, he doesn't blink an eye. Didn't like the guy. Kisses his widow the moment they're alone together. Beats up Joel Cairo (Lorre) not just because he has to, but because he carries a perfumed handkerchief, and you know what that meant in a 1941 movie. Turns the rough stuff on and off. Loses patience with Greenstreet, throws his cigar into the fire, smashes his glass, barks out a threat, slams the door and then grins to himself in the hallway, amused by his own act.

If he didn't like his partner, Spade nevertheless observes a sort of code involving his death. ''When a man's partner is killed,'' he tells Brigid, ''he's supposed to do something about it.'' He doesn't like the cops, either; the only person he really seems to like is his secretary, Effie (Lee Patrick), who sits on his desk, lights his cigarettes, knows his sins and accepts them. How do Bogart and Huston get away with making such a dark guy the hero of a film? Because he does his job according to the rules he lives by, and because we sense (as we always would with Bogart after this role) that the toughness conceals old wounds and broken dreams.

Alas, the mood and the mode won't work today wink2.gif...but the darkness inherent in human motivations tainting all and possibilities of desperate heroism still might find echoes in this age.

And then there is The Big Sleep(1946) which is credited with having one of the most confusing storylines in Hollywood film history. Based on the popular novel by Raymond Chandler that was published in 1939, it introduced the the first of the series of the Philip Marlowe novels. The plot, again, is the "McGuffin", to borrow Hitchcock's phrase, it does not matter. What matters is the on and off screen chemistry of the Bacall-Bogart pair, the double-edged dialogues and the atmosphere. And there is plenty of it in the film.

You're not very tall are you?
I try to be...
says Bogie.... thumbs-up.gif

Check out this compilation by a buff who has titled it "The Babes of the Big Sleep" with the following comment: The biggest mystery in Howard Hawks's THE BIG SLEEP is why almost every beautiful woman finds Bogie irresistible tongue1.gif

Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Aug 4 2007, 09:48 AM) *

Sorry Reeth, about the slightly out of context post. A brief reminder about Ingmar Bergman. Not Hollywood certainly, but enough of Hollywood (to its credit) has been influenced by him.

Madhavi just add evrything here, dont worry about method and order, this is more fun smile1.gif

Finally the grand old man died...and that too on the same day as Antonioni. Had been dreading the day it would happen, having watched a number of his films, I have always been amazed at how personally a number of his films touched me, considering how distinctly different his lived experience was from mine.

One cannot help but mention his Seventh Seal in an occasion such as this. Heavily and ostentatiously symbolic, it is about a knight who comes back from the crusades and finds that his country has been ravaged by the plague. Death comes for him too, and in his desperation he challenges him to a game of chess. He knows the outcome but plays for time...

Here is the famous scene:

And Here is the trailer:

A film about faith and belief, Ingmar's knight opts for a wry, wavering, disappointing, and constantly questioned belief rather than accept the bleak alternative that there is no meaning in life. And that, btw is a terribly reductive reading of Bergman's richly layered film. And this is not even my favorite Bergman film (if you like Bergman, you will always have your treasured favorites among his repetoire of about fifty films...). For me, his most stunning films were Wild Strawberries and Persona, and a cherished light one is Smiles of a Summer Night.

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Aug 6 2007, 02:23 AM) *

And what can film noir be without Bogey...I promise not to impose any more noirs after these two:

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Don't worry about the plot in The Maltese Falcon (actually that is true of most Noirs), note the style, the tough talking hero and the mood. The film made a legend out of Bogart. Consider this dialogue with which the hero sends the woman to the gallows after she pleads with him not to give her over to the law:

''I hope they don't hang you, precious, by that sweet neck. . . . The chances are you'll get off with life. That means if you're a good girl, you'll be out in 20 years. I'll be waiting for you. If they hang you, I'll always remember you.''

Here's an excerpt from Ebert:

Some film histories consider ''The Maltese Falcon'' the first film noir. It put down the foundations for that native American genre of mean streets, knife-edged heroes, dark shadows and tough dames.

Of course film noir was waiting to be born. It was already there in the novels of Dashiell Hammett, who wrote The Maltese Falcon, and the work of Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, John O'Hara and the other boys in the back room. ''Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean,'' wrote Chandler, and that was true of his hero Philip Marlowe (another Bogart character). But it wasn't true of Hammett's Sam Spade, who was mean, and who set the stage for a decade in which unsentimental heroes talked tough and cracked wise.

Cold. Spade is cold and hard, like his name. When he gets the news that his partner has been murdered, he doesn't blink an eye. Didn't like the guy. Kisses his widow the moment they're alone together. Beats up Joel Cairo (Lorre) not just because he has to, but because he carries a perfumed handkerchief, and you know what that meant in a 1941 movie. Turns the rough stuff on and off. Loses patience with Greenstreet, throws his cigar into the fire, smashes his glass, barks out a threat, slams the door and then grins to himself in the hallway, amused by his own act.

If he didn't like his partner, Spade nevertheless observes a sort of code involving his death. ''When a man's partner is killed,'' he tells Brigid, ''he's supposed to do something about it.'' He doesn't like the cops, either; the only person he really seems to like is his secretary, Effie (Lee Patrick), who sits on his desk, lights his cigarettes, knows his sins and accepts them. How do Bogart and Huston get away with making such a dark guy the hero of a film? Because he does his job according to the rules he lives by, and because we sense (as we always would with Bogart after this role) that the toughness conceals old wounds and broken dreams.

Alas, the mood and the mode won't work today wink2.gif...but the darkness inherent in human motivations tainting all and possibilities of desperate heroism still might find echoes in this age.

And then there is [b]The Big Sleep(1946) which is credited with having one of the most confusing storylines in Hollywood film history. Based on the popular novel by Raymond Chandler that was published in 1939, it introduced the the first of the series of the Philip Marlowe novels. The plot, again, is the "McGuffin", to borrow Hitchcock's phrase, it does not matter. What matters is the on and off screen chemistry of the Bacall-Bogart pair, the double-edged dialogues and the atmosphere. And there is plenty of it in the film.
[/b]
You're not very tall are you?
I try to be...
says Bogie.... thumbs-up.gif

Check out this compilation by a buff who has titled it "The Babes of the Big Sleep" with the following comment: The biggest mystery in Howard Hawks's THE BIG SLEEP is why almost every beautiful woman finds Bogie irresistible tongue1.gif

Great stuff Madhavi.....Thanks a lot, keep adding... smile.gif

Reeth
Quo Vadis - (1951)

Click to view attachment

STARRING: Robert Taylor, Deborah Kerr, Leo Genn, Peter Ustinov, Patricia Laffan
DIRECTOR: Mervyn LeRoy
STUDIO: MGM Studios
RATING: NR
GENRE: Drama
RELEASE DATE: February 23, 1951

Quo vadis is Latin for "Where are you going?"..........

Quo Vadis tells of a love that develops between a young Christian woman, Ligia (or Lygia), and Marcus Vinicius, a Roman patrician. It takes place in the city of Rome under the rule of emperor Nero around AD 64.....

It's the story of the growing pains of Christianity in a decadent Rome subject to the whims of the mad emperor Nero. The story concerns a Roman general who falls for a Christian slave girl and, later, for her religion, but even though that's what provides the film its focus, the real attraction is the spectacle.

The biggest part of that spectacle is Peter Ustinov, who cemented the public's conception of the madman who "fiddled while Rome burned" (actually, in this film it's a lyre, as the fiddle hadn't been invented yet, but no matter) with his over-the-top scenery chewing. He preens and screeches like a spoiled rock star, alternately begging and ordering his subordinates to confess their adoration of him and his god-awful songs. I don't think it necessarily counts as good acting, but it's unforgettable. And miraculously, he's paired onscreen with Leo Genn, who plays court poet Petronius (who wrote Satyricon, which Fellini made into a movie of the same name). Petronius is Nero's opposite in every way: he's quiet while Nero bellows, he's austere while Nero dresses like a clown, and he's subtle while Nero is... not. His job is to manipulate his boss into second-guessing his most obnoxious and horrifying instincts, and he does this with an understated charm. Both actors were nominated for Best Supporting Actor, and while one can't really say they deserved the award more than Karl Malden did, one can only wish they could have made a special award for Ustinov and Genn to share.

It's too bad the leads aren't nearly up to the standards those two set. Robert Taylor stumbles his way through the film as Marcus Vinicius, a Roman general who returns from three years on the battlefield to find his home city teetering on the brink of self-destruction, although it takes him a while to realize that. He's helped along his journey to understanding by Lygia (a particularly reptilian-looking Deborah Kerr), a slave who's been adopted into the family of a former general who secretly converted to Christianity, then just a marginal religious cult. At first Marcus tries to bully Lygia into giving in to him, calling in favors from his palace connections (Petronius is his uncle) to get her transferred to his custody. However, he relents when he realizes that she loves her savior, Jesus Christ, more than she does him. There aren't any sparks between Taylor and Kerr, likely because Taylor seems to lack any spark of his own. It makes his gradual conversion from savage soldier to proto-Christian difficult to accept, because he's incapable of showing us the grace that's supposed to be slowly suffusing him. Kerr is easier to accept, but she's weighed down by the banal script (it's no mistake that Writing wasn't among the film's Oscar nominations).

Meanwhile, we come to what attracted audiences in the first place....The Spectacle...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The water Quo Vadis dives into are excellent for any historical epic: you have persecutions and martyrdoms, the glory of ancient Rome reaching its apex, and a mad emperor who murdered his own mother. As with most historical movies of the time, the acting is geared less toward realism and more toward a hightened feel of D-R-A-M-A and ostentatious monologues, but, compared to many of the historical 'epics' of today, it has a strong emotional core and a passion for its subject. ....

mmuk2004
Thank you Reeth, I remember being entranced by the drama, the spectacle and the sheer lavishness of the movie. Btw, it has another claim to fame... both Sophia Loren and Liz Taylor were in the movie as extras biggrin.gif ...okay Liz had a cameo...
Reeth
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Sep 11 2007, 10:52 PM) *

Thank you Reeth, I remember being entranced by the drama, the spectacle and the sheer lavishness of the movie. Btw, it has another claim to fame... both Sophia Loren and Liz Taylor were in the movie as extras biggrin.gif ...okay Liz had a cameo...

Dint know that .....i am going to see the movie again and look hard for them....
These movies can be watched any number of times....... smile.gif
mmuk2004
How about some Chaplin?

Here are some pics of Modern Times(1936). The film was defiantly made as a silent movie despite the fact that talkies had been introduced almost a decade ago. Chaplin effects a compromise of sorts by using dialogue selectively in the film by deliberately making dialogue emanate from machines and not humans. Chaplin famously also speaks for the first time in the film and again in a brilliant twist "speaks" complete gibberish.

The film is a satire on modern industrialization and the way it trivialized and dehumanized human beings. The movie boasts of several famous images, from the opening shot where a group of factory workers are juxtaposed against the image of a flock of sheep, to the tramp being literally swallowed by the machine, to the famous feeding machine that feeds the tramp and becomes maniacally uncontrolled. Set in post-depression America, the tramp and the waif(Paulette Goddard) remain endearing outcasts in the troubled, frightening landscape of economic deprivation and unrest, and the parallel emergence of an efficient mechanization in industry that was viewed by Chaplin with great distrust.

To make a comedy out of this, and that too a rollicking one, it required the genious of Chaplin. thumbs-up.gif
mmuk2004
The famous opening scene of the movie:

The feeding machine:

The famous scene where he sings gibberish and yet makes perfect sense entertaining his audience tongue1.gif
mmuk2004
http://www.starpulse.com/Movies/Modern_Times/Summary/

Modern Times Summary:
This episodic satire of the Machine Age is considered Charles Chaplin's last "silent" film, although Chaplin uses sound, vocal, and musical effects throughout. Chaplin stars as an assembly-line worker driven insane by the monotony of his job. After a long spell in an asylum, he searches for work, only to be mistakenly arrested as a Red agitator. Released after foiling a prison break, Chaplin makes the acquaintance of orphaned gamine (Paulette Goddard) and becomes her friend and protector. He takes on several new jobs for her benefit, but every job ends with a quick dismissal and yet another jail term. During one of his incarcerations, she is hired to dance at a nightclub and arranges for him to be hired there as a singing waiter. He proves an enormous success, but they are both forced to flee their jobs when the orphanage officials show up to claim the girl. Dispirited, she moans, "What's the use of trying?" But the ever-resourceful Chaplin tells her to never say die, and our last image is of Chaplin and The Gamine strolling down a California highway towards new adventures. The plotline of Modern Times is as loosely constructed as any of Chaplin's pre-1915 short subjects, permitting ample space for several of the comedian's most memorable routines: the "automated feeding machine," a nocturnal roller-skating episode, and Chaplin's double-talk song rendition in the nightclub sequence. In addition to producing, directing, writing, and starring in Modern Times, Chaplin also composed its theme song, Smile, which would later be adopted as Jerry Lewis' signature tune. Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide
mmuk2004
The Great Dictator(1940)

Not the greatest of Chaplin's films, it has been criticized for its preachy ending which just does not gel with the genre of comedy. However, I cannot imagine Chaplin the director, without having this film in his repertoire. Chaplin had been told of his tramp's facial resemblance with Adolf Hitler. He later found out that they were both born within a week of each other and had a somewhat similar background of an early struggle with poverty before becoming extremely popular in their respective fields.

It is one of the rare films that deals with the Nazi regime through the genre of comedy. I can think of only two other films that have done that, To Be or Not to Be(1942) by the great master of genre, Ernst Lubitsch and, maybe, Life is Beautiful (iffy), which is not pure comedy anyway .

Chaplin plays a double role in the film, of an amnesiac German barber and the dictator Adenoid Hynkel. There is a superb scene in the movie where he gracefully dances with a globe balloon as Adenoid Hynkel. I also love his speech as Hynkel when the mike bends with the force of his gibberish. And then there is John Oakie as Mussollini romping loutishly as a superb foil to the crazed Hynkel.

Chaplin obstinately did not allow the last scene to be deleted, where he gives a six minute speech straight from the heart. While it is, admittedly, one of those scenes that do not fit in the frame of the movie, it remains a testament of Chaplin's deep concern for freedom and humanity.
mmuk2004
The globe scene

The voice of Hynkel: once again using gibberish as satire

The last speech
mmuk2004
Review by Mark Bourne

A number of things make The Great Dictator unlike any previous Chaplin film. Bosley Crowther's New York Times review noted that this was "no droll and gentle-humored social satire in the manner of Chaplin's earlier films. The Great Dictator is essentially a tragic picture — or tragi-comic in the classic sense — and it has strongly bitter overtones." And in a bow to technological inevitability, this was Chaplin's first full-on sound film with dialogue. Knowing that dialogue would destroy the essence of the necessarily silent Little Tramp, cinema's foremost pantomimist retired the character forever at the conclusion of Modern Times four years earlier. So The Great Dictator was the first feature-length film in which he starred as a character other than the Tramp.

In The Great Dictator Chaplin in fact plays two lead roles. One is a meek Jewish barber in the European country of Tomania. Granted, the barber bears more than a passing resemblance to the Tramp, even affecting the familiar bowler hat and cane. But Chaplin was clear that the barber is not the Tramp and The Great Dictator is not a Tramp movie. The barber is a World War I soldier stricken with amnesia in an aircraft accident. After twenty years in a hospital, he returns to the Jewish ghetto where he re-opens his long-abandoned shop, blissfully ignorant of how the world has changed in his absence. Thuggish Aryan stormtroopers patrol the streets to assault Jewish civilians. They paint the word JEW on the barber's shop windows. They wear armbands with the Swastika-like "double cross." The country is under the thumb of Adenoid Hynkel, the power-mad Fooey (that is, Führer), who with his jackbooted armies is determined to conquer the globe. Grinding the Jews in the ghetto beneath his heel is only the start of his plans.

Secondly (and more memorably), Chaplin plays the crazed dictator Hynkel. It's in this savage and undisguised parody of Hitler that The Great Dictator achieves its immortality. A pompous little megalomaniac, Hynkel was a pie in the face to a madman whom Hollywood and the rest of the world had come to fear. Chaplin inhabits Hynkel so fully that the barber is rendered almost perfunctory. Chaplin studied hours of newsreels to capture Hitler properly, and this lacerating sendup of the Führer's oratorical style blends mock-German gobbledygook with a bullseye on his theatrical bombast.

It turns out that the barber and Hynkel are lookalikes. ("Any resemblance between Hynkel the dictator and the Jewish barber is purely coincidental," quips an opening title card.) Hynkel prepares his plans to kill off all the Jews ("then the brunettes") with the aid of his loyal advisers, Field Marshal Herring and Propaganda Minister Garbitsch. Meanwhile, the barber innocently tries to adjust to his new life as a prisoner in his own country. He becomes involved with a young orphan woman, Hannah (Paulette Goddard), and through her falls in with a group of conspirators who aim to assassinate Hynkel. A scene where they consume puddings, and whoever spoons up a hidden coin must embark on the suicide mission, is one of the great Chaplin bits.

Each of Chaplin's pinnacle features — The Kid, The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator — contributed at least one of cinema's all-time indelible images. In Dictator that comes with the inspired scene where Hynkel, alone in his palatial Chancellery, dances a graceful ballet with a globe of Planet Earth. When the balloon-globe eventually pops in his face, the great dictator cries like a spoiled child. The scene is one of Chaplin's most sublime. Artistically, any faults one can quibble about in The Great Dictator are trumped by this famous sequence.

For good measure, Chaplin drives a clown car up Mussolini's ass as well. Vaudeville-trained Jack Oakie turns Il Duce into "Napaloni of Bacteria," a back-slapping, uncouth, low-comedy bulldog of a despot. He competes with Hynkel for everything from the height of their barber chairs (which telescope toward the ceiling in a brilliant one-panel cartoon of political one-upmanship) to whose army invades a country first. It's to Chaplin's credit that he shared so much screen time with the born scene-stealer Oakie, who barrels through the movie like a New York cab driver through a yellow light. The performance earned Oakie an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Events turn so that the barber must impersonate the dictator in a radio address to the entire world. And here arrives the most controversial scene in The Great Dictator, probably in all the Chaplin syllabus. The barber, disguised as Hynkel, steps up to the podium and through the camera faces us eye to eye. Now Chaplin drops character utterly. He speaks not as the barber, but as himself and from the heart in a screen-filling close-up. In an impassioned six-minute speech he pleads for tolerance and the elevation of the innate greater good of the human spirit, and an end to oppression, industrial dehumanization, greed, militarism, and nationalism.

Reeth
How about some Chaplin?

Sure madhavi, Thanks a million for all this Great write up on his films. bow.gif .....i love his incomparable films....
I want to see them all over again now after reading your reviews... smile.gif
mmuk2004
I want to see them all over again now

Do you get good copies of old hollywood films in India? Just curious, wanted to know if the libraries had copies of these films. Here, in the public libraries, you get an amazing selection of classic hollywood and even "foreign" language films.

Annie Hall (1977)

And from early modern comedy to contemporary comedy... I am a big fan of Woody Allen's films. He redefined the genre of modern romantic comedy, making it intellectual, "stressed out" and incredibly funny and bitter. The archetypal Allen hero(often played by Allen himself) is a neurotic, self-conscious, obsessively vocal figure who moves in and out of romantic relationships and does not seem to have gained much from his experiences. Allen's films are all usually based in New York, he has always claimed that he cannot survive without a daily dose of its pyschedelic, pychosomatic and high-pressure life.

Here are some pictures of Annie Hall (1977), one of Allen's lighter satires, it has the superb Diane Keaton in one of her early major roles and it won her an Oscar. She is perfect in the movie as the small-town girl with her odd clothes and her "la di dah" who still seems to be able to adjust to the rules of the game in the slick city slightly ahead of Allen. The movie begins with Allen directly facing the audience seemingly unable to stem his nervous verbosity:

"Life is full of loneliness, misery, suffering, and unhappiness- and it's all over much too quickly"

Quoting Groucho Marx: "I would never belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member."
mmuk2004
http://www.culturevulture.net/movies/AnnieHall.htm

"Life is full of loneliness, misery, suffering, and unhappiness - and it's all over much too quickly," says Woody Allen at the beginning of Annie Hall. This could be a statement of the ongoing theme of Allen's movies over a career that spans forty years and continues apace.

It is also the kind of line we expect from Allen - funny and observant, with that special New York twist. New Yorkers use irony more than other Americans. When New Yorkers make a statement, there are generally no fewer than two meanings contained at once and the listener is assumed to pick up on the multiple meanings. (Southerners, on the other hand, tend to say what they think you want to hear and hope you will not know what they are really thinking. Out here in sunny California, most people deal only in one meaning at a time, if there is meaning to start with.)

If Annie Hall is the best of this genre, it is because it is one of Allen's happier films. The suffering is kept light, the laughter is not heavily tainted with bitterness. The relationship of the hero, intellectual Jewish comedian Alvy Singer, with gentile, white bread, "neat" Annie Hall (Diane Keaton - very young and fresh and deliciously daffy here) allows for the amusement that arises out of the conflict of their cultures and the delight of the real romance they find in each other's differences.

Allen cleverly uses a variety of film techniques, enhancing his consistently witty dialogue as he makes his points. He steps out of character to share a thought directly with the audience. He takes us on a visit to his childhood home, where the contemporary figures dialogue with the historical ones. He uses split screens to allow interaction between characters who would not be interacting in a realistic treatment, but whose verbal interplay provides still another method to explore meaning by playing off of differences. It is a tour de force that only the most skilled writer/filmmaker/comedian could pull off. There may be others who can do it, but none with the viewpoint, the wit, and the insight that Allen brings to it with seeming effortlessness, and, surely in the case of Annie Hall, great joy.

Arthur Lazere

From the Wiki:

In 1977, Keaton starred with Allen in the romantic comedy Annie Hall, in which she played one of her most famous roles. Annie Hall was written and directed by Allen, her paramour at the time, and the film was believed to be autobiographical of his relationship with Keaton. Allen based the character of Annie Hall loosely on Keaton ("Annie" is a nickname of hers, and "Hall" is her original surname). Many of Keaton's mannerisms and her self-deprecating sense of humor were added into the role by Allen. (Director Nancy Meyers has claimed "Diane's the most self-deprecating person alive".[15]) Keaton has also said that Allen wrote the character as an "idealized version" of herself.[16] The two starred as a frequently on-again, off-again couple living in New York City. Her acting was later summed up by CNN as "awkward, self-deprecating, speaking in endearing little whirlwinds of semi-logic",[17] and by Allen as a "nervous breakdown in slow motion."[18] The film was both a major financial and critical success, and won the Academy Award for Best Picture. Keaton's performance also won the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 2006, Premiere magazine ranked Keaton in Annie Hall as 60th on their list of the "100 Greatest Performances of All Time":

“ It's hard to play ditzy. ... The genius of Annie is that despite her loopy backhand, awful driving, and nervous tics, she's also a complicated, intelligent woman. Keaton brilliantly displays this dichotomy of her character...
mmuk2004
Now for some youtube clips:

The opening scene:

Lining up to see a movie, Woody is annoyed with the person standing behind him going on and on about Fellini and is vindicated by cheating and breaking the dramtic illusion biggrin.gif I love this scene...boy if life were only like this!

Some scenes from Annie Hall:
simplefable
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Oct 18 2007, 09:23 PM) *

I want to see them all over again now

Do you get good copies of old hollywood films in India? Just curious, wanted to know if the libraries had copies of these films. Here, in the public libraries, you get an amazing selection of classic hollywood and even "foreign" language films.

Actually the scene looks pretty bright right now..even in the small town i live, there is one shop which keeps all good films irrespective of whether they are taken off shelf or not, including a rack for World films..which are from other languages. Actually i am a movie buff and when i visited US, i copied around 100 dvds for my collection.. smile.gif
mmuk2004
Wow, I am a big movie buff too...

Phir der kis baat ki... smile.gif Please do tell us about the movies you enjoyed watching, SF.
simplefable
I really dont go for popular movies. I search for those which have a distinct human drama with all failings, yet looking on bright side. Off hand, if i have to say some names...for war films....Operation daybreak * timothy bottoms.. The Great escape * Richard Attenborough.. there is Papillon....Human dramas ( almost mono acting) of emma thompson in Wit ....one flew over the cuckoos' nest, anatomy of murder, it is a wonderful life...comedies... Getting away with murder, quick change, all chaplin movies..city lights is very special.. Yes, i will sit down and write up. You are doing great job Madhavi...Thanks a lot.. smile.gif
mmuk2004
Ah, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"... Jack Nicholson is one of my all time favorites. Would love to discuss some of his films too...after the Allen round though... tongue1.gif

And talking of war films...check out some of Stanley Kubrick's masterpieces:

Paths of Glory (1957): Straight war film, sparse and tense..

Dr. Strangelove or How I Stopped worrying and Learnt to Love the Bomb (1964): Exaggerated satire with Peter Sellers in a brilliant performance.

Full Metal Jacket (1987): Dealing with the Vietnam War.
simplefable
QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Oct 18 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Ah, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"... Jack Nicholson is one of my all time favorites. Would love to discuss some of his films too...after the Allen round though... tongue1.gif

And talking of war films...check out some of Stanley Kubrick's masterpieces:

Paths of Glory (1957): Straight war film, sparse and tense..

Dr. Strangelove or How I Stopped worrying and Learnt to Love the Bomb (1964): Exaggerated satire with Peter Sellers in a brilliant performance.

Full Metal Jacket (1987): Dealing with the Vietnam War.

Have all these films..but saw only Dr. Strangelove..it was absolutely hilarious. Will see others asap.. smile.gif
mmuk2004
Deconstructing Harry (1997)

Deconstructing Harry was released in 1997, when plenty of dirty linen was washed in public as regards Woody and his private life. It is the story of a quite insufferable writer, Harry Block, who is suffering from a writer's block and Woody plays the character in his typical fashion as insecure and self-absorbed. Neurotic and often cruel, he uses all the characters and relationships in his life as material for his stories, without their happy consent ofc. and as is typical in Woody's films, the plot is hardly linear with plenty of asides and fissures in dramatic illusion.

The movie treads the thin line between self-pity and self-disgust made palatable by the superb comic timing of Allen. An overdose of this is definitely not recommended... rolleyes.gif
mmuk2004
Some clips of Woody shuttling between domestic and non-domestic brawls :

Hell Scene:
mmuk2004
A random review to give you an idea of the plot:

DECONSTRUCTING HARRY
Starring Woody Allen, Judy Davis, Billy Crystal and Robin Williams
Directed by Woody Allen
Rated R, with strong, frequent profanity
Running time 95 minutes
Jack gives this film a rating of 10 out of 10

By Jack Garner
Democrat and Chronicle
(Jan. 2, 1998) -- "I'm no good at life but I write well." So says writer Harry Block, the morally bankrupt philanderer at the center of Deconstructing Harry.

And since Harry is played by Woody Allen -- who also wrote and directed the film -- it's easy the way the blend of Allen's checkered personal life and superb artistry have fueled this brilliant film.

Deconstructing Harry is a devastatingly honest, hysterically funny film. While his work is always known for its self-analytical bent, this is the filmmaker's first movie in several years to put his own public persona centerstage. It's easily one of his finest films yet, and one of the best movies of 1997.

Allen reportedly thought of titling the movie The Worst Man in the World; certainly, he's never been so hard on himself before. After all, he's been devilish before, but in this film he literally goes to hell.

Harry Block is a successful Manhattan novelist whose tales have been built around the author's foibles, endless sexual exploits and a path through life littered with betrayed friends and lovers.

"You take everyone's suffering and turn it into gold," says Lucy, his roaringly angry sister-in-law (Judy Davis), after she comes to his apartment, bent on revenge. "I want to kill the black magician."

Lucy will have to wait in line. There are plenty other companions and former lovers and wives who'd love to turn him into chopped liver.

Of course, Harry doesn't see why everyone's so upset with him. He's a master of rationalization. For example, when he's accused of creating a life of nihilism, sarcasm and orgasm, he retorts, "In France, I could run on that ticket and win."

To deconstruct Harry, filmmaker Allen cuts back and forth between dual realities -- Harry's real misguided adventures and the reflections of that life through the characters of his books (brought to life on film).

And to populate both worlds, Allen has assembled one of his most entertaining and diverse casts. Besides the fabulous Davis, there are Kirstie Alley, Richard Benjamin, Eric Bogosian, Demi Moore, Mariel Hemingway, Amy Irving, Elisabeth Shue, Stanley Tucci, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Billy Crystal as the devil.

If that's not enough, Robin Williams contributes a cameo in the film's most original and hilarious aside; he plays a movie actor who is shocked to discover he's always out of focus. (The bit has to be seen to be understood -- and laughed at.)

Allen also experiments here with rougher language than he's ever used before on film. Nonetheless, the profanity seems part and parcel to a guy like Harry, so it's tough to argue with his decision.

Like Harry, of course, Allen has demonstrated a remarkable ability to achieve superb artistry, even during his very public 1990s crisis with Mia Farrow, their children and new bride Soon-Yi Previn. But Allen has seldom been as technically assured as he is with Deconstructing Harry.

The film opens, for example, with quick, jerky repeated cuts of Judy Davis, as Lucy, getting out of a cab to confront Harry. Though we're initially confused, we eventually realize Allen has discovered a visual way to depict the out-of-control rage in Lucy -- the scene is a visual equivalent of sputtering with anger.

It's just one of the many elements in "Deconstructing Harry " that display Allen's continued mastery as a filmmaker. Like Harry, Allen's life is a mess, but he's a heck of an artist.

And that's what should matter to his audience.
Reeth
Thanks a lot Madhavi ....smile.gif

Another Great Movie/romance that i have loved watching over and over again....

Love Story - (1970)

Director: Arthur Hiller
Writer: Erich Segal
Cast : Ali Mcgraw, Ryan o' Neal, john Marley,Ray milland....
Tagline: Love means never having to say you're sorry....

Click to view attachment

Absolutely the greatest romance film ever made, "Love Story", broke all kinds of records at the box office becoming the biggest movie ever made to date in 1970. Its stars, Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal, became mega-stars overnight. Unlike most films of its genre, it paints a much more realistic portrait of life rather than glorifying romantic superstition and fate......

Love Story (1970) is a sentimental, romantic tearjerker film from director Arthur Hiller about a tragic couple.
The film's tagline, "Love means never having to say you're sorry," appeared slightly differently in Segal's novelization: "Love means not ever having to say you're sorry."

Click to view attachment

Told as a flashback, this is an uncomplicated love story between two star-crossed lovers-students, Harvard pre-law hockey player Oliver Barrett IV (Ryan O'Neal) and Radcliffe music student Jenny Cavilleri (Ali MacGraw). Oliver narrates the opening line of the film, looking back:

What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant? That she loved Mozart and Bach, the Beatles, and me?

Their love triumphs over different economic-class backgrounds (he is a "preppie millionaire," she a smart-mouthed "social zero" from a blue-collar Italian/American family). Their main obstacle to romance is that his rich, powerful and snobbish father, Oliver Barrett III (Ray Milland) objects and threatens to cut off funding...The two young lovers marry anyway and first move into a small apartment in Cambridge before Oliver is hired by a New York law firm and they move to the city.

Click to view attachment

After meeting many obstacles and making sacrifices, she is diagnosed as terminally ill when she is tested for pregnancy, and dies in his arms at the hospital in a tear-inducing closing. She makes a last request of him: "You, after all - you're going to be a merry widower." "I won't be merry," he responds. She replies: "Yes, you will be. I want you to be merry. You'll be merry, okay?"...

In the final scene, Oliver quotes his late wife, when speaking to his father about their past misunderstandings. After his father tells him he's sorry that she has died, Oliver responds in the last memorable line of the film, quoting an earlier remark of Jenny's:

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.