Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M Ashraf Passes Away
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Artists of Pakistan
Inaam
Death of a maestro

LAHORE, Feb 5: M. Ashraf, the maestro who profusely inspired Pakistani film music for over forty years, spell binding three generations of cine goers with his melodious compositions died of cardiac arrest on Sunday. He was 65.

A musician par excellence, Ashraf was born in Lahore inside Bhatti Gate in 1942. The versatile music director who belonged to a known family of musicians has a great contribution towards introducing popular music to Pakistani cinema. His maternal uncles Akhtar Hussain Sakhian and Master Anayat Hussain were also great music directors of their time. Akhtar Hussain was his teacher as well. Master Anayat, the top most music director of Pakistani cinema, who came up with immortal compositions such as Sada Hoon Apnay Piyar ki and Jan-i-Baharan, was considered a legend. Besides, Ashraf was a cousin of Ustad Taffu, another maestro from family of musicians.

The torch is now with Ashraf’s son M Arshad who gave hit music to Syed Noor’s flick Jeeva. His two other sons are Nadeem Ashraf and Salman Ashraf.

Remembering Ashraf, Sajjad Taffu told Dawn that his uncle was the most well dressed person in the family. Taffu said Ashraf did matriculation from the City Muslim High School, Said Mittah. He started his career as a musician from Shabab Karanvi’s film Spairan in 1966-67, along with his music partner Manzoor. Both did some seven or eight films together but later they got separated. Tees Mar Khan was the first film done independently by the late Ashraf.

Source: DAWN
Ashraf had always been a successful music director. There are few musicians in the local film industry who inspired Pakistani cinema in such a big way. His compositions, always having an eastern touch, kept three generations of music listeners enchanted. He composed more than 2,000 songs for over 400 films. He was the only music director of the country having more than 100 hit songs to his credit.

Ashraf was a versatile musician, combining in his compositions popular, situational and commercial elements. He worked with almost all big filmmakers such as Shabab Kairanvi, Nazarul Islam, Haider Chauhdry and Jamil Akhtar, but with Kairanvi he had a lasting association, as he composed music for over 100 films of one of the most successful directors of his time.

His compositions were sung by almost all leading film singers such as Nur Jahan, Mehdi Hasan, Ahmed Rushdi, Mehnaz, Ghulam Abbas, Mussarat Nazir, Nasim Begum, Mala and Runa Laila. He also introduced singers like Rajab Ali and Anwar Rafi.

A number of films got immense popularity at the box office due to his music such as Maan Kay Ansoo, Andhi Mauhabat, Ladli, Bharjaie, Aurat Ka Piyar, Koh-e-Noor, Mera Naam Hai Mauhabbat, and Phool Meray Gulshan ka.

He furnished Pakistani film music with some immortal compositions such as Hamaray Dil Say Mat Khailo, Jab Koie Piyar Say Bulaie Ga, Do Pattar Anaran Day, Bay Iman Chahoon Thujay Mein Subh Sham, Dil Ko Jalana Hum Nay Chore Diya, etc.

Ashraf won 13 Nigar Awards and 14 Graduate Awards as music director. He is survived by three sons and one daughter.

Ashraf’s qul will be held at 2pm on Tuesday (today) in Bazar-i-Hakeeman at Lal Masjid.
balajigade
Some notable contributions by M Ashraf :
Haal-e-dil aaj hum... by Masood Rana (Chiragh Kahan Roshni Kahan)
Na koi gila hai... by Mehdi Hassan (Zanjeer)
Tere bheege badan ki... by Mehdi Hassan (Sharafat)
Jo dard mila... by Mehdi Hassan (Shabana)
Hamare dil se mat... by Mehdi Hassan (Daaman Aur Chingari)
etc. etc.

May his soul rest in peace.

--Balaji

Inaam
QUOTE(balajigade @ Feb 10 2007, 11:24 PM) *

Some notable contributions by M Ashraf :
Haal-e-dil aaj hum... by Masood Rana (Chiragh Kahan Roshni Kahan)
Na koi gila hai... by Mehdi Hassan (Zanjeer)
Tere bheege badan ki... by Mehdi Hassan (Sharafat)
Jo dard mila... by Mehdi Hassan (Shabana)
Hamare dil se mat... by Mehdi Hassan (Daaman Aur Chingari)
etc. etc.

May his soul rest in peace.

--Balaji

He was such a brilliant music director. He started his musical career in 19961 and till his death he was working regularly. I have good collection of his songs with me, will try to share some of them in this thread, if you guys are interested.
Just for the correction of record, ‘Tere bheege badan ki khushbu se..’ is not M Ashraf composition but Robin Ghosh.

Inaam

surhall
AAP AUR HUM HF
VERY VERY SAD NEWS ABOUT M ASHRAF MUISC DIR,
NO MORE WITH US . HE WAS VERY BIG NANAME PAKISTAN
FILM WORLD .
I HAVE SOME HIS MUSIC MOVIES LIST YEARS AND BEST
HIS IN FLIM YESREDAY TAKE ABOUT 6- 7 HOUR SEE
WHAT IS BEST SHOW SONGS-MOVIE .
OLD IS GOLD IN PAKISTAN EVERY SINGERS SING
HIS MUSIC. YOU CAN FIND THERE HAVE 100% ?????????????????

KUDHA UNKO ZANAT DE
DHALL
asheik
I love his music. This is a sad news indeed.
I wonder why I didn't hear of it in the news on the Pakistani channels here in the US.
I must've missed it.
A year or two ago, I remember seeing his interview on tv while visiting Pakistan.
He looked fit. He was talking about his composition 'pyasa kooein ke paas ata he'.
He even sang a bit of it. If I remember correctly he said that the inspiration of the starting music of this song came from the James Bond score.
That brings me to digressing a little. A friend asked me yesterday for an Urdu word for 'inspiration', and I couldnt come up with anything exact. If anyone here would make some suggestion, I would appreciate it.
I came up with loose translations: 'mutaasir hona', moharrik, and one that I made up: 'mataa-i-shauq'.
Coming back to the topic. I have a 45RPM of Nahid Akhtar and M Ashraf that I will try to digitize and bring to this forum. My generation grew up with his music and will miss him.
Inaam
QUOTE(asheik @ Feb 14 2007, 10:15 PM) *

I love his music. This is a sad news indeed.
I wonder why I didn't hear of it in the news on the Pakistani channels here in the US.
I must've missed it.

Ya, he was a great musician. I also like his work, In the beginning of his career, he worked mainly for Urdu movies, Noor Jehan, Mala & Nahid Akhtar sang immortal songs for him. In 80s he turned into a Punjabi film music director and did a great job even in Punjabi movies too.

A year or two ago, I remember seeing his interview on tv while visiting Pakistan.
He looked fit. He was talking about his composition 'pyasa kooein ke paas ata he'.
He even sang a bit of it. If I remember correctly he said that the inspiration of the starting music of this song came from the James Bond score.

I have two of her interviews with me. Both are on VHS. In the first one, his son M Arshad is also with him. In second interview, he is talking about Madam Noor Jehan.
I remember there was a rumor in early 80s that he was in love with singer Nahid Akhtar.

That brings me to digressing a little. A friend asked me yesterday for an Urdu word for 'inspiration', and I couldnt come up with anything exact. If anyone here would make some suggestion, I would appreciate it.
I came up with loose translations: 'mutaasir hona', moharrik, and one that I made up: 'mataa-i-shauq'.

I think 'Mutaasir hona' & 'Moharrik' are the correct and exact translation of inspiration.

Coming back to the topic. I have a 45RPM of Nahid Akhtar and M Ashraf that I will try to digitize and bring to this forum. My generation grew up with his music and will miss him.

Waiting for those gems. tongue1.gif
surhall
QUOTE(surhall @ Feb 12 2007, 11:20 PM) *

AAP AUR HUM HF
VERY VERY SAD NEWS ABOUT M ASHRAF MUISC DIR,
NO MORE WITH US . HE WAS VERY BIG NANAME PAKISTAN
FILM WORLD .
I HAVE SOME HIS MUSIC MOVIES LIST YEARS AND BEST
HIS IN FLIM YESREDAY TAKE ABOUT 6- 7 HOUR SEE
WHAT IS BEST SHOW SONGS-MOVIE .
OLD IS GOLD IN PAKISTAN EVERY SINGERS SING
HIS MUSIC. YOU CAN FIND THERE HAVE 100% ?????????????????

KUDHA UNKO ZANAT DE
DHALL

this sun some song u.l from my side.
thanks
dhall
Inaam
End of a glorious innings
Click to view attachment

By Omair Alavi

M. Ashraf won 13 Nigar Awards and 14 Graduate Awards as music director for various Urdu and Punjabi films during his illustrious career. He had the distinction of working with film directors such as S. Suleman, Nazrul Islam, M. Javed Fazil, Pervez Malik, Shamim Ara, Iqbal Akhtar, Jan Mohammad and Hasan Askari

The sudden and tragic demise of M. Ashraf on February 4, 2007 brought an end to an era of great music compositions. The 65-year-old musician entertained music lovers with his matchless tunes for 45 years and died of cardiac arrest, leaving behind countless fans to mourn the loss.

From Sangdil, Nadeem’s first musical hit in the then East Pakistan in 1968 to Babar Ali’s record-breaking debut, Munda Bigri Jaye in 1995, M. Ashraf had the distinction of creating the highest number of successful tunes in Pakistan, easily matching that of his contemporaries, Nisar Bazmi and Robin Ghosh.

He was born in Lahore inside Bhatti Gate in 1942 and belonged to a well-known family of musicians. His maternal uncles, Akhtar Hussain Sakhian and Master Anayat Hussain, were successful musicians of their time and it was under their tutelage that he began his career in 1961, as part of the dynamic duo of Manzoor-Ashraf.

The duo helped Ahmed Rushdi win his first two Nigar Awards with the song, Chaand Sa Mukhra Gora Badan, from their film Saperan in 1961, and Gol Gappay Wala from Mehtaab in 1962. Although they composed many hits such as Aaina (1966), Insaniyat (1967) and Mera Ghar Meri Jannat (1968), they split up, with M. Ashraf going solo with Sangdil (1968) and Manzoor’s career coming to a halt due to his involvement in the murder of actress Niggo in 1971.

Sangdil completed its golden jubilee and Nadeem became a star with Ahmed Rushdi’s Sun Le O Jaan-i-Wafa, making Ashraf a force to reckon with. In the ’60s his success continued, reaching a pinnacle in the ’70s when he won three Nigar Awards in four years — for Gharana (1973), Mera Naam Hai Mohabbat (1975) and Shabana (1976). Qurbani (1981) got him his last award for an Urdu film and although he continued to churn out brilliant songs with movies like Tarana, Dosti, Meherbani, Kamyabi, Faisla and Ustaadon Kay Ustaad, he was always looked over when it came to an award.

His worth can be judged by the fact that in 1975 alone he composed hit numbers for films such as Farz Aur Mamta, Mohabbat Zindagi Hai, Anari, Mera Naam Hai Mohabbat, Jab Jab Phool Khile and Naukar.

Ashraf won 13 Nigar Awards and 14 Graduate Awards as music director for various Urdu and Punjabi films during his illustrious career. He had the distinction of working with film directors such as S. Suleman, Nazrul Islam, M. Javed Fazil, Pervez Malik, Shamim Ara, Iqbal Akhtar, Jan Mohammad and Hasan Askari. And banking on his music, they all tasted success.

He composed songs for three generations of superstars — from Habib and Santosh Kumar to Nadeem, Mohammad Ali and Waheed Murad and finally for Shaan, Babar Ali and Afzal Khan giving opportunities to the finest playback singers to sing to the best of their abilities. These included Ahmed Rushdi, Mehdi Hassan, Madam Noor Jehan, Mala, Runa Laila, Nayyara Noor, Naheed Akhtar, Naheed Niazi, Irene Perveen, Naseem Begum, Saleem Raza, Masood Rana, Rubina Badar, Mehnaz, Ikhlaq Ahmed, A. Nayyar, Asad Amaanat Ali Khan, Tehseen Javed, Ghulam Abbas, Anwar Rafi, Nadeem, Rangeela and Indian starlets Sonu Nigam, Shaan, Saadhna Sargam and Shreya Ghosal. M. Ashraf’s musical journey ended with Tere Bin Jiya Na Jaye (2005).

With over 400 Urdu and Punjabi films to favour his case as a seasoned musician, M. Ashraf left the world at a time when he was needed the most. In his early days, he copied many Indian songs from across the border with his film, Nazneen, having the most copied versions, but in the latter part of his career, mostly from 1970-1990, he was the lone champion of quality Urdu songs with Kamyabi, Mehrbani and Faisla releasing in the ’80s and being copied across the border.

After his son, M. Arshad, (Bulandi, Bandit Queen, Jeeva, Raja Sahib, Dopatta Jal Raha Hai, Dil To Pagal Hai, Salakhein) emerged as a formidable musician, Ashraf composed music whenever his heart desired. He helped launch Imran Malik, son of Ashraf’s favourite director, Pervez Malik, by composing songs for his film, Tere Bin Jiya Na Jaye.

With Mohammad Javed Fazil making a comeback in films after a decade, Ashraf’s presence would have done wonders. He left this world two years after Amjad Bobby, his most formidable contemporary of the ’80s, and the absence of both these giants has left the genre of film music all the more poor.

Some of M. Ashraf’s most memorable songs

O Sun Lay O Jaan-e-Wafa Sangdil Ahmed Rushdi

O Mere Shoukh Sanam Sangdil Masood Rana

Teri Mehfil Se Yeh Deewana Dard Mehdi Hassan

Yeh Mana Kay Tum Nazneen Masood Rana

Jab Koi Pyar Se Bulayega Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hai Mehdi Hassan

Mera Mehboob Aagaya Neend Hamari Khwaab Tumhare Masood Rana

Tu Jahan Kahin Bhy Jaye Insaan Aur Aadmi Mehdi Hassan, Madam Noor Jehan

Mujh Sa Tujhko Chahnahy Wala Yaaden Rajab Ali, Madam Noor Jehan

Is Parcham Kay Saaye Talay Farz Aur Maamta Nayyara Noor

Alif Se Achy Khamosh Nigahen Ahmed Rushdi

Hamare Dil Se Mat Khelo Daman Aur Chingari Mehdi Hassan

Mera Babu Chail Chabeela Mann Ki Jeet Roona Laila

Dinva Dinva Main Ginoon Mann Ki Jeet Roona Laila

Bajao Bajao Mere Sang Taali Do Badan Nayyara Noor, Nadeem,

Ahmed Rushdi

Dil Ko Jalana Hum Ne Chor Dia Mohabbat Zindagi Hai Ahmed Rushdi

Tu Tu Ru Tu Ru Tara Tara Mohabbat Zindagi Hai Naheed Akhtar

Hamari Saanson Main Aaj Tak Mere Huzoor Mehdi Hassan, Madam Noor Jehan

Main Jis Din Bhula Doon Khushboo Mehdi Hassan, Mehnaz

Kisi Meherbaan Ne Aa Kay Shama Naheed Akhtar

O Humdum O Saathi Saathi A. Nayyar, Rajab Ali

Tera Saaya Jahan Bhy Ho Sajna Gharana Nayyara Noor

Yeh Duniya Rahay Na Rahay Mera Naam Hai Mohabbat Mehdi Hassan

Abhi To Main Jawaan Hoon Abhi To Main Jawaan Hoon Madam Noor Jehan

Bewafa Kon Hai Shabana Mehdi Hassan

Tu Husn Ki Devi Hai Kubra Aashiq Mehdi Hassan

Tera Mera Koi Na Koi Naata Hai Playboy Mehdi Hassan, Madam Noor Jehan

Hamain Gham Mila Hamesha Mehmaan Naheed Akhtar

Jungle Main Mangal Zindagi A. Nayyar, Mehnaz

Loota Qarar Mere Man Ka Nadaani Ikhlaq Ahmed

Meri Wafa Mere Waday Pay Beqarar Anwar Rafi

Hum Ko Kis Ke Gham Ne Maara Basera Ikhlaq Ahmed

Amma Dekh Munda Bigri Jaye Saleem Danish

Source: DAWAN Karachi.

Inaam
Anothor article about M Ashraf:
http://mazhar.dk/film/musicians/m_ashraf.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.