Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Info Needed On Shabbir Kumar.
Hamara Forums > Music > Singers > Shabbir Kumar
shabbirkumar786
hiya guys,

this is my first post & would like to say hello to everyone.

if i make any mistake initially pls do forgive me.

to the point the:

does anyone know if shabbir kumar & kishore kumar have ever recorded a song together.

eg,

a duet or as part of a group song pls?
Charulata
Kishore Kumar and Shabbir Kumar have sung together in the film Anjaam Khuda Jaane

source:http://www.earthmusic.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/nuts/search.cgi?song=yeh+duniya+unke+liye+hain

Here is a song for a Shabbir Kumar fan, from the movie Pyar Jhukta Nahi - Chahe Lakh Toofan Aaye with Lata Mangeshkar

CODE
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3n2b6
shabbirkumar786
QUOTE(Charulata @ Oct 12 2006, 12:54 AM) *

Kishore Kumar and Shabbir Kumar have sung together in the film Anjaam Khuda Jaane

source:http://www.earthmusic.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/nuts/search.cgi?song=yeh+duniya+unke+liye+hain

Here is a song for a Shabbir Kumar fan, from the movie Pyar Jhukta Nahi - Chahe Lakh Toofan Aaye with Lata Mangeshkar

CODE

hiya,

first of all a big thank u for replying was very kind of you &

sincerely appreciate it!

i keep in touch with shabbir bhai & as far as his concerned his never ever sung with

the great kishore da.

i would love to know about the movie uv named:

anjaam khudha jaane (i think it stars naseerudin shah).

pls tell me more.

many thanx.
shabbirkumar786

CODE

p.s.

chaahe laakh toofaan & the whole soundtrack is quite amazing indeed!

l-p's music & s.h. bihari's lyrics are mid-blowing.

as for lata & shabbir...

what can i say apart from sheer magic!!!
iqbal

Hi Bash,

You will find this thread very intersting by Edward.....

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...=15716&st=0

Dear all,

I freelance for a Bollywood magazine called "Bollywood International" which is published from Dubai and goes worldwide. Do read it when you have the chance. Yesterday, I met up with 80s playback singer, Shabbir Kumar, in Dubai and we spoke about our common passion for music for a good two hours. When I told him that my favourite singer was Kishore, he brought out fond memories of his interactions with Kishore. I am writing it word for word.

Shabbir Kumar, now a 57-year-old grandfather, was here for a concert, "Ek Shaam Rafi Ke Naam" where he sang many songs of the late legend.

Please can someone tell me how to convert the transcript from a SONY dictaphone so that I can upload the transcript of the interview. Meanwhile, here's the written format along with a few (amateurish) photos that I clicked. Here goes:-

Shabbir Kumar: I have extremely fond memories of Kishore-da. Did you know for the first five years (since 1980) Kishore didn't sing any song with me?

ED: Really? What was the reason?

SHABBIR KUMAR: It was all because of a misunderstanding and a few selfish people who had poisoned his ears about me. My songs in films such as Betaab, Sohni Mahiwal, Ek Jaan Hain Hum and Coolie had become major hits. At the same time, Amit Kumar shone with Love Story (music director R. D. Burman) and the film's star, Kumar Gaurav, became a big star with the film. Kumar Gaurav's father, Rajendra Kumar, then ventured into making another movie called Lovers (does anyone in HF remember a movie like this? - ED) and wanted me to playback for his son, since my songs had become successful. The music director was Pancham-da again and Rajendra-ji told me to meet Panchamda and discuss the songs. I nodded my head and told him that I would meet RD at the earliest to discuss further.

One day, I went to meet Kalyanji (of Kalyanji-Anandji) unannounced and Kalyanji asked me what are you doing here when there is a mahurat of the film, Lovers. I was aghast and hastily took off to the hotel where the mahurat was held. I met RD and Rajendra-ji and they asked me where the hell I was. I was staying at a guest house then and apparently they had tried to reach me but could not contact me. As a result, they recorded the songs in Amit Kumar's voice. I was disappointed to have missed the golden opportunity.

Someone told me that Kishore Kumar, being a protective father, had asked RD to use Amit's voice instead of mine, since Amit and Kumar Gaurav had tasted success together. He reasoned with Panchamda that if Rajesh Khanna and he could become a successful pair after Aradhana's success, Kumar Gaurav and Amit could repeat that trend.

Since I deeply respected Kishore and Rafi, I couldn't believe that Kishore could do something like that! I gracefully went back to my residence and forgot all about it.

At the same time, a music director, who I don't want to name, told Kishore that I had become a big star and would soon outshine him. They also told him to reject all assignments with me. As a result, Kishore was cautious in all his interactions with me. But we would meet at film gatherings and be pleasant to each other.

ED: But did you harbor any ill-feeling towards him as a result of that episode?

SHABBIR KUMAR: Not really. Kishore Kumar was someone I have always respected. He has inspired and continues to inspire singers even today. If he was protective towards Amit, I could understand that. But Kishore-da always treated me like one of his sons.

ED: So how and when did your relations improve?

SHABBIR KUMAR: One night, (in 1987) I received a frantic phone call. When I answered, the voice at the other line said: "Arre, main Loot gaya! Barbaad Ho Gaya! Sirf Tu Hi Mujhe Bacha Sakta Hain!" I was aghast, wondering who it is. When I asked who it was, he said he was Kishore Kumar. Since I idolised him, I asked him what was the reason. He told me that he had a concert in Assam the next day and Amit Kumar, who was performing along with him, had to back out for a singing assignment. So, Kishore was left with no singer to accompany him.

I saw this as a great opportunity to perform alongside my favorite singer. I hastily accepted to sing with him on the same stage. He then inquired how much I would charge, saying "Tu to bada singer hai, bahut charge karta hoga!". I laughed and said, "Dada, main kal jaroor aaonga! Paise ki aap chinta chodo!" He still persisted, but I told him that I could not think of charging my own idol.

The next morning, I reached Santacruz Airport (in Mumbai) and found Dada pacing the airport up and down. He was so relieved to see me, because he thought I would back out. He embraced me and told me how happy to see me. I was clearly embarrassed - here was a legend who was treating me as if I was a superstar.

He told his secretary to ensure that I flew first class but there was a hitch. Only Kishore was booked first class whereas the rest of us were booked in the economy section. When he found that out, Kishore came to the economy section and told the person sitting next to me there to take his ticket and sit in the first class so that he could sit next to me. I told Kishore that I was fine where I was - but he would not listen! He was adamant and had his way. The entire economy section was looking at this legend sitting there and I was clearly embarrassed. He was my God.

When we landed in Assam, the organizers came to greet Kishore with garlands but he scolded them and told them that this young lad (pointing to me) deserves to be garlanded since he came to my help without any questions. He made sure that wherever I went, I was treated royally and the same honor that was given to him was also given to me. He also ensured that we ate together at the hotel and made a junior singer feel special.

Later, at night, he phoned Leena-ji (Chandavarkar) in Mumbai and was speaking to her. I was there at the time and he motioned to me and told me that Leena-ji had a special message for me. I then spoke to her over the phone and she told me that she liked my songs. She also made a special request to me - apparently it was the first time when Kishore was travelling without her or Amit and he would often forget to take his medicines. She asked me to remind him to take his medicines and look after him like a son. I heeded her request but I was clearly touched by the humility of the couple.

That night, we did well on the stage. Kishore invited me on stage and introduced me in the most respectful terms. I was touched. We sang the duet, Hey Babu from the song Bhaagam Bhaag, which he sang originally with Mohd Rafi. You should've seen Kishore's antics on stage - he pushed me down and sat on me, inviting howls of laughter from the crowd.

After the program, he met me privately and confessed that he had got me wrong altogether. He said that a few people had warned him against me and he apologised for not singing with me at any time of our careers. "Ab se tu bhi mere saath gaayega!" he declared. I told him that his saying so was enough for him and had made my day.

Unfortunately, Kishore-da died three months later but till today, I cherish that meeting and performance with him.

Hope you liked that!

Regards,

Edward
shabbirkumar786
QUOTE(iqbal @ Nov 18 2006, 05:11 AM) *

Hi Bash,

You will find this thread very intersting by Edward.....

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...=15716&st=0

Dear all,

I freelance for a Bollywood magazine called "Bollywood International" which is published from Dubai and goes worldwide. Do read it when you have the chance. Yesterday, I met up with 80s playback singer, Shabbir Kumar, in Dubai and we spoke about our common passion for music for a good two hours. When I told him that my favourite singer was Kishore, he brought out fond memories of his interactions with Kishore. I am writing it word for word.

Shabbir Kumar, now a 57-year-old grandfather, was here for a concert, "Ek Shaam Rafi Ke Naam" where he sang many songs of the late legend.

Please can someone tell me how to convert the transcript from a SONY dictaphone so that I can upload the transcript of the interview. Meanwhile, here's the written format along with a few (amateurish) photos that I clicked. Here goes:-

Shabbir Kumar: I have extremely fond memories of Kishore-da. Did you know for the first five years (since 1980) Kishore didn't sing any song with me?

ED: Really? What was the reason?

SHABBIR KUMAR: It was all because of a misunderstanding and a few selfish people who had poisoned his ears about me. My songs in films such as Betaab, Sohni Mahiwal, Ek Jaan Hain Hum and Coolie had become major hits. At the same time, Amit Kumar shone with Love Story (music director R. D. Burman) and the film's star, Kumar Gaurav, became a big star with the film. Kumar Gaurav's father, Rajendra Kumar, then ventured into making another movie called Lovers (does anyone in HF remember a movie like this? - ED) and wanted me to playback for his son, since my songs had become successful. The music director was Pancham-da again and Rajendra-ji told me to meet Panchamda and discuss the songs. I nodded my head and told him that I would meet RD at the earliest to discuss further.

One day, I went to meet Kalyanji (of Kalyanji-Anandji) unannounced and Kalyanji asked me what are you doing here when there is a mahurat of the film, Lovers. I was aghast and hastily took off to the hotel where the mahurat was held. I met RD and Rajendra-ji and they asked me where the hell I was. I was staying at a guest house then and apparently they had tried to reach me but could not contact me. As a result, they recorded the songs in Amit Kumar's voice. I was disappointed to have missed the golden opportunity.

Someone told me that Kishore Kumar, being a protective father, had asked RD to use Amit's voice instead of mine, since Amit and Kumar Gaurav had tasted success together. He reasoned with Panchamda that if Rajesh Khanna and he could become a successful pair after Aradhana's success, Kumar Gaurav and Amit could repeat that trend.

Since I deeply respected Kishore and Rafi, I couldn't believe that Kishore could do something like that! I gracefully went back to my residence and forgot all about it.

At the same time, a music director, who I don't want to name, told Kishore that I had become a big star and would soon outshine him. They also told him to reject all assignments with me. As a result, Kishore was cautious in all his interactions with me. But we would meet at film gatherings and be pleasant to each other.

ED: But did you harbor any ill-feeling towards him as a result of that episode?

SHABBIR KUMAR: Not really. Kishore Kumar was someone I have always respected. He has inspired and continues to inspire singers even today. If he was protective towards Amit, I could understand that. But Kishore-da always treated me like one of his sons.

ED: So how and when did your relations improve?

SHABBIR KUMAR: One night, (in 1987) I received a frantic phone call. When I answered, the voice at the other line said: "Arre, main Loot gaya! Barbaad Ho Gaya! Sirf Tu Hi Mujhe Bacha Sakta Hain!" I was aghast, wondering who it is. When I asked who it was, he said he was Kishore Kumar. Since I idolised him, I asked him what was the reason. He told me that he had a concert in Assam the next day and Amit Kumar, who was performing along with him, had to back out for a singing assignment. So, Kishore was left with no singer to accompany him.

I saw this as a great opportunity to perform alongside my favorite singer. I hastily accepted to sing with him on the same stage. He then inquired how much I would charge, saying "Tu to bada singer hai, bahut charge karta hoga!". I laughed and said, "Dada, main kal jaroor aaonga! Paise ki aap chinta chodo!" He still persisted, but I told him that I could not think of charging my own idol.

The next morning, I reached Santacruz Airport (in Mumbai) and found Dada pacing the airport up and down. He was so relieved to see me, because he thought I would back out. He embraced me and told me how happy to see me. I was clearly embarrassed - here was a legend who was treating me as if I was a superstar.

He told his secretary to ensure that I flew first class but there was a hitch. Only Kishore was booked first class whereas the rest of us were booked in the economy section. When he found that out, Kishore came to the economy section and told the person sitting next to me there to take his ticket and sit in the first class so that he could sit next to me. I told Kishore that I was fine where I was - but he would not listen! He was adamant and had his way. The entire economy section was looking at this legend sitting there and I was clearly embarrassed. He was my God.

When we landed in Assam, the organizers came to greet Kishore with garlands but he scolded them and told them that this young lad (pointing to me) deserves to be garlanded since he came to my help without any questions. He made sure that wherever I went, I was treated royally and the same honor that was given to him was also given to me. He also ensured that we ate together at the hotel and made a junior singer feel special.

Later, at night, he phoned Leena-ji (Chandavarkar) in Mumbai and was speaking to her. I was there at the time and he motioned to me and told me that Leena-ji had a special message for me. I then spoke to her over the phone and she told me that she liked my songs. She also made a special request to me - apparently it was the first time when Kishore was travelling without her or Amit and he would often forget to take his medicines. She asked me to remind him to take his medicines and look after him like a son. I heeded her request but I was clearly touched by the humility of the couple.

That night, we did well on the stage. Kishore invited me on stage and introduced me in the most respectful terms. I was touched. We sang the duet, Hey Babu from the song Bhaagam Bhaag, which he sang originally with Mohd Rafi. You should've seen Kishore's antics on stage - he pushed me down and sat on me, inviting howls of laughter from the crowd.

After the program, he met me privately and confessed that he had got me wrong altogether. He said that a few people had warned him against me and he apologised for not singing with me at any time of our careers. "Ab se tu bhi mere saath gaayega!" he declared. I told him that his saying so was enough for him and had made my day.

Unfortunately, Kishore-da died three months later but till today, I cherish that meeting and performance with him.

Hope you liked that!

Regards,

Edward

salaam iqbal,

thank u very much for this article!

its brilliant iv already got it mate!

& i asked shabbir on the phone & he said this is a true story.

wow everybody should read it!

P.S

HWY IQBAL BHAI,

WHERE DID U GET IT FROM AGAIN, WHICH MAGAZINE & IS IT AVAILABLE IN EUROPE PLS?

take care.

BASH.
shabbirkumar786

CODE

hiya,

i would be extremely grateful to u if u have that KISHORE & SHABBIR duet.

it wud make my year.

cos as far as i know theyve NEVER recorded a DUET TOGETHER!!!

pls let me know.

take care.

BASH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.