Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Blog
Hamara Forums > General > Antariksh Aur Anhoni
vivekpm
http://spaceblog.xprize.org/

Cheers,
Nimii
Vivekah! bow.gif thanks! Glad I went back in the pages.. else I would have missed this thread. mad.gif
vivekpm
On a related note:

SAN JOSE, California -- It's not hard to sell attendees of the Space 2006 conference on permanent human settlements in space.

Where those settlements should be, however, is another question. Various scientists make their case for Mars, the moon or habitats orbiting the Earth. While the question is not a pressing one for most people, for the futurists mapping the humans path to space, the destination makes all the difference in the world.

For Al Globus, senior research associate for human factors research and technology at NASA Ames Research Center, the most salient issue is one that most people take for granted on Earth: gravity. In low gravity, muscles atrophy and bones loose calcium and become brittle. If people start having children in an off-Earth settlement, those children -- being adapted to the moon's one-sixth gravity or Mars' three-eighths gravity -- may not be able to function on Earth, Globus argues.

"If you are a genius, you can never go to Harvard or Princeton," Globus says. "If you are a great violinist, you will never be able to play the concert halls of Earth."

That's a deal breaker, in Globus' opinion. The space researcher instead argues that rotating space stations that can produce near-Earth gravity would be the best bet for long-term human inhabitants. These stations could produce more energy because certain orbits could bring them more sunshine than is possible if they were land-based. And the stations would be hours away, rather than three days for the moon or, at best, six months for Mars. The proximity to Earth makes tourism a possibility and makes resupplying the stations a snap.

On Thursday, Robert Bigelow, a Las Vegas real estate and financial businessman that started Bigelow Aerospace in 1999, announced that he would put a space station in high orbit by 2012 to spur demand for a destination in space. The Sundancer station, as Bigelow dubs it, would consist of two habitats connected to provide 510 cubic meters of living space, about as much real estate as a small home.

The businessman also underscores that the mantra of real estate still applies: Location, location, location.

"From a business perspective, (Earth orbit) is a revenue-generating location, and from a science standpoint, it's a must," he says.

However, creating a large enough space station to spin for artificial gravity is difficult enough that even the risk-taking businessman is not considering it. His scientists have instead drawn up plans for a module that can be created in space and planted on the moon to become the first part of a base.

The moon has gained adherents as the best initial settlement because the goal is attainable and scientists can use a moon base to study the long-term effects of low-gravity living on humans, said Klaus P. Heiss, executive director of High Frontier, a group of scientists and enthusiasts focused on creating a moon base.

"The goal should be something that we can do in 10 years with the existing budget, but at the same time, it needs to be significant," Heiss says.

Heiss argues that a long-term moon settlement could develop the lion's share of the techniques necessary to survive for a long time on another planet, such as Mars, a planet with its own supporters. The Mars Society -- whose president, Robert Zubrin, literally wrote the book on the least expensive way to create a Mars base -- has been simulating the working conditions on Mars at its research station in the Arctic. Another proponent, the Mars Homestead Project, has created plans for building a base from mainly local resources. Glass, plastics and steel could all be made on Mars and having those resources makes Mars the best location for a long-term settlement, says Bruce Mackenzie, a co-founder of the project.

"Being farther away will help build self-reliance and spur innovation," Mackenzie says.

The distance, at least six months in travel time and two years between trips, should be seen as a plus, he adds, because it minimizes the impact of changes in policies and budget cuts. And with U.S. space policy far from settled, such a distance could be welcome.

Source

Cheers,
Nimii
That would be great! We could get rid off some of the population from here too laugh.gif

Vaise like I told you earlier .. dharti ka bhoj toda moon pe jaayega and still it would lighter out there.

Sigh! Wishful thinking indeed for now. Wonder how they would make it feasible. The atmosphere, and other environmental surroundings have to be adaptable for we homo sapiens doh.gif
vivekpm
Yeah wishful thinking indeed fr now!!!

Hopefully someday someone will have "Moon" as his/her birthplace biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Nimii
Sigh! I wonder how the astrology will work out then laugh.gif Where is Mandrake camera.gif our expert commentator ?
Mandrake
Suddenly, there is a puff of white smoke... and the Magisssian appphears!!! (please use the correct tones)

You are right!! The moonlings will have a different time altogether... the girls will have karva chauth - and they will look at the earth through the chhalni laugh.gif
Songs will have dharti-mama and chanda-ma instead of dharti-maa and chanda-mama...
heroes will tell heroines that they look as beautiful as the earth on a full-earth day..
chanda aur chandni will be replaced with 'earth and satellites'...
moonlings will aspire to build rockets to go to the earth...
Americans will try to be the first to land on earth...
Shankar will have earth in his jataa....
lovers will bask in the soft blue earthlight...
Rishi Kapoor will sing 'dharti mera dil, space-station ho tum, dharti se bhi door, space-station kahaan' rollf.gif

...and a lot more things will happen laugh.gif
Nimii
Karva chauth ohmy.gif ailaaaaaaa ye rasm ko abhi karte ho kya fillami style mein headbang.gif Why cant men do something for the wives too mad.gif

Ek feminist ki awaaz sunnte ho kya wink.gif

Mandrake .. dont give ideas.. Ekta Kapoor and many of her kinds are reading! I shudder to think of the results laugh.gif
Mandrake
Nimii, tum bhi na doh.gif
Of course men do things for their wives!!! they stand on the other side of the chhalni so that the wives can see them rollf.gif
(It doesn't matter whose wife sees whose husband wink2.gif laugh.gif )

Then, they are supposed to be the earthly incarnations of the supreme being - jussssst for their wives! Haven't you heard of 'pati-parmeshwar?
Have you ever heard of bhai-parmeshwar, or pita-parmeshwar or beta-parmeshwar, or dost-parmeshwar? poseur.gif

Plus, they give the women a spiritual insight into future lives!! Aise-hi nahi women want the same husbands for the next SEVEN lives!!! (This is called advance-booking. The process is still a little rural-ised, hence women still go and tie threads around banyan trees. When e-booking arrives, they'll open different threads on the net laugh.gif )
Nimii
laugh.gif Are you sure the woman is really praying for the next 7 lives for the same man wink.gif he he he!! Now that would be wishful thinking! I guess it is vice versa too laugh.gif

he he he! First let me get my whatever for this life mad.gif

When e-booking arrives, they'll open different threads on the net laugh.gif

You bet man! This is too good for words laugh.gif
ps: Vivek is gonna glare at both of us for taking this thread to some other level of discussion! camera.gif Vivek are you listening? tongue1.gif
Mandrake
Nimii rey!! angry.gif
Dontcha know why women book men for 7 lives??
Life 1: They just want to double-check whether what they got last life was meant for them or a case of mistaken parcel-delivery laugh.gif
Life 2: If Life 1 was bad, then let the same guy be treated like the naukar in her house.
Life 3: If the original version had a roving eye, then to turn the tables in this life
Life 4: If the going had been good, to have a repeat dose of the same goodies at this point. (Life 4 is like interval - centre of 7 lives)
Life 5: In case the guy was good, but didn't let her work, to have a booming career with a sit-at-home good husband
Life 6: To mull over the outcome of the past 5 lives and decide the course ahead
Life 7: Depending upon the past 6 experiences, to have a change of flavour next time, or to have repeat order biggrin.gif:
Nimii
Ailaa 7 janam kyon.. first two years shld suffice to get to see the reality and the repairs can begun right away! You think they gonna wait for those 6 more lives to pay back laugh.gif

Not me for sure glare.gif Iss janam ka badla issi janam mein loongi tongue1.gif
ps: Phir bhi Mandrakeaah tera theory badiya hai wink.gif Ek thesis hi likh sakte hai iss vishay mein biggrin.gif Anyone game for it! Oye btw remember the book you were supposed to print and publish! Phew forgot about it totally laugh.gif
Mandrake
Badley ki is bhaavna ko man se nikaal do Raju - yeh woh khel hai jisey khelnewaale khatm ho jaate hain (now go into a hiss) khel khatm nahi hota....

bow.gif
Amitabh in Kasme-Vaade biggrin.gif
Mandrake
Nimz whichhh book are you talking about? I have planned to write a book on every new topic ever since I joined HF smile1.gif

Maybe I should start a new book - My Days With HF wink2.gif
Alternative Titles:
1. In The Line of HFire
2. A Matter of HFonour
3. HF-readom At Midnight
4. Ceeti of Joy
5. Mandrake in HFland
rollf.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 27 2006, 07:08 PM) *

ps: Vivek is gonna glare at both of us for taking this thread to some other level of discussion! camera.gif Vivek are you listening? tongue1.gif

Kya se kya ho gaya, mere thread ka...

I better not listen. As a bachelor, MJ's 7 life theory sounds scary sad1.gif

Cheers,
Mandrake
Vivek ki fatkaar lagtey hi Mandrake ki hansi kho jaati hai....sad1.gif
Like it happens in all other threads, M gathers up his depressed cape, picks up his quashed hat, and slowly shuffles to the top of the page.

With a heavy heart he presses the 'view new Posts' button with his left foot, and exits the thread forever....
The background score changes to 'Who will call me a friend..." sad1.gif
vivekpm
Nahin nahin MJ... I will definitely call you a friend. Specially for forewarning wrt 7-janams smile1.gif.

Cheers,
Nimii
Ailaa why is Mandrake sad and maaroing filmi dialogues ohmy.gif Tere duniya se hoke majboor .. kar ke biggrin.gif

Oye u bettah return and post here biggrin.gif Ek baar, do baar pukaarungi uske baad nautanki ki to me will turn my face like this glare.gif ! Bachhe todi ho aap so no tantrum throwing plz tongue1.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 27 2006, 07:31 PM) *
Nimz whichhh book are you talking about? I have planned to write a book on every new topic ever since I joined HF smile1.gif

Alternative Titles:
1. In The Line of HFire
2. A Matter of HFonour
3. HF-readom At Midnight
4. Ceeti of Joy
5. Mandrake in HFland
rollf.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Great topics to cover! Even I cant remember man, the book you were supposed to publish etc.! So many things preoccupied my mind for the past few months na, it is like your hard disk that crashed laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif sab kuchh mitt gaya mellow.gif
Nimii
QUOTE(vivekpm @ Sep 27 2006, 07:33 PM) *
QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 27 2006, 07:08 PM) *

Kya se kya ho gaya, mere thread ka...

I better not listen. As a bachelor, MJ's 7 life theory sounds scary sad1.gif

Cheers,

No worries Vivek let me bring your thread back to original status mellow.gif

What if we all move to moon. What are the basic requisites we need to sustain there, apart from atmosphere and environment. The pros and cons have to be looked into. The transportation between the two celestial bodies, all this would it be feasible?

N
vivekpm
QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 27 2006, 08:04 PM) *

No worries Vivek let me bring your thread back to original status mellow.gif

No worries at all... the topic itself is in lighter vein smile1.gif. MJ to sach main thread chhod kar chale gaye sad1.gif.

QUOTE(Nimii @ Sep 27 2006, 08:04 PM) *

What if we all move to moon. What are the basic requisites we need to sustain there, apart from atmosphere and environment. The pros and cons have to be looked into. The transportation between the two celestial bodies, all this would it be feasible?

N

If you read Ansari's blog, I think the most basic thing we need to figure out is maintaining our hygiene biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Nimii
MJ to sach main thread chhod kar chale gaye

Aisa kiya to I will not talk to him! glare.gif Chee chee bachhon jaise behaviour mad.gif very bad!

maintaining our hygiene biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif now that is a million $ suggestion(instead of a question)! Would we be able to do that mad.gif
Reeth
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 27 2006, 05:08 PM) *

Suddenly, there is a puff of white smoke... and the Magisssian appphears!!! (please use the correct tones)

You are right!! The moonlings will have a different time altogether... the girls will have karva chauth - and they will look at the earth through the chhalni laugh.gif
Songs will have dharti-mama and chanda-ma instead of dharti-maa and chanda-mama...
heroes will tell heroines that they look as beautiful as the earth on a full-earth day..
chanda aur chandni will be replaced with 'earth and satellites'...
moonlings will aspire to build rockets to go to the earth...
Americans will try to be the first to land on earth...
Shankar will have earth in his jataa....
lovers will bask in the soft blue earthlight...
Rishi Kapoor will sing 'dharti mera dil, space-station ho tum, dharti se bhi door, space-station kahaan' rollf.gif

...and a lot more things will happen laugh.gif

LOL laugh.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 27 2006, 07:04 PM) *

Nimii, tum bhi na doh.gif
Of course men do things for their wives!!! they stand on the other side of the chhalni so that the wives can see them rollf.gif
(It doesn't matter whose wife sees whose husband wink2.gif laugh.gif )

Then, they are supposed to be the earthly incarnations of the supreme being - jussssst for their wives! Haven't you heard of 'pati-parmeshwar?
Have you ever heard of bhai-parmeshwar, or pita-parmeshwar or beta-parmeshwar, or dost-parmeshwar? poseur.gif

Plus, they give the women a spiritual insight into future lives!! Aise-hi nahi women want the same husbands for the next SEVEN lives!!! (This is called advance-booking. The process is still a little rural-ised, hence women still go and tie threads around banyan trees. When e-booking arrives, they'll open different threads on the net laugh.gif )

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 27 2006, 07:40 PM) *

Vivek ki fatkaar lagtey hi Mandrake ki hansi kho jaati hai....sad1.gif
Like it happens in all other threads, M gathers up his depressed cape, picks up his quashed hat, and slowly shuffles to the top of the page.

With a heavy heart he presses the 'view new Posts' button with his left foot, and exits the thread forever....
The background score changes to 'Who will call me a friend..." sad1.gif

LOL biggrin.gif LOL
Reeth
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 27 2006, 07:31 PM) *

Alternative Titles:
1. In The Line of HFire
2. A Matter of HFonour
3. HF-readom At Midnight
4. Ceeti of Joy
5. Mandrake in HFland
rollf.gif

biggrin.gif Ceeti of Joy
usrafian

N

First of all, Will I get connectivity with HF from moon ? if yes, then nothing else is more important. cool.gif

Transportation (on the moon only) won't be a problem there, ... one jump will cover atleast 60 feet distance.
If we apply same logic, transportation between celestial bodies would be 60 times cheaper.

Good-Effect : Exploaration in hyper-space would be easy.
Bad-Effect : Bandits would run away for-ever into space (like our Mandrake Bhau', runs away from thread) laugh.gif

Biggest benefit would be TATA to 'Green House Effect'. Sub Kucch cool-cool.

Rest, socchho-socchho.

USR
Nimii
Ailaaaaaa moon par bhi HF mad.gif NO way! Trusted membership wont be given to moonwales wink.gif biggrin.gif

Green House effect ke badle mein aur koi effect aajayega wacko.gif We humans will never let a place remain in its natural state sigh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.