Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Dreams May Come (1988)
Hamara Forums > Films > Hollywood
Talaikya
Click to view attachment

My Rating (for whatever it's worth) : ****/5

Detailed information at : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/

Much like music, I get affected by art despite being almost clueless about it. This movie was a mind blowing visual experience the first time I saw it. It felt like the next best thing to walking into a vibrant impressionist painting. Recently I saw it again, certain mesmerizing parts over and over, while converting it for the iPod (yeah Nimz, I live for it tongue1.gif); I wanted to see how the l’il one handled the visuals.

It is probably a very simplistic film, but the emotions the actors bring to it so also the breath taking visuals are a treat. It didn’t do very well at the box office however, probably because of adverse critic reviews.

Here are a few reviews I identify with (please pay attention to the spoiler alerts, in case you do decide to see it eventually.)

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/w/what_dreams.html

Many movies have offered representations of heaven and hell, but few with as much conviction and creativity as What Dreams May Come. The plot, which focuses on the sacrifices one man will make for true love, is neither complicated nor original, but, bolstered by the director's incredible visual sense, it becomes an affecting piece of drama. While not as sickly sweet as Ghost, What Dreams May Come shares an important trait with the Demi Moore/Patrick Swayze melodrama - namely, that love does not end with death. Those who embrace this belief and don't mind a somewhat artistic approach are likely to enjoy Vincent Ward's latest movie.

http://www.activewin.com/dvd/reviews/movie..._may_come.shtml

I found What Dream May Come to be an enthralling movie experience, with its beautiful special effects and good all round acting performances from everyone seen in the film, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and I can't quite understand the critics views when the film hit cinemas. The DVD is also excellent value as it has a great range of special features, a good picture and great sound. Buy it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../810020306/1023

And yet, as I've suggested, the movie somehow gathers all these threads and its triumphant art direction and special effects, and then doesn't get across the finish line with them. I walked out of the theater sensing that I should have felt more, that an opportunity had been lost. "What Dreams May Come'' takes us too far and risks too much to turn conventional at the end. It could have been better. It could perhaps have been the best film of the year. Whatever its shortcomings, it is a film to treasure.
deewani
This has been on my "to watch" list forever, won't read the reviews 'cause hate spoilers, hopefully I will get to it this summer.
Nimii
That would be something to watch on a big screen then! Thank you Tji. Awaiting for the movie to hit the silver screen here.

Talaikya
QUOTE(deewani @ Jul 28 2006, 09:06 PM) *

This has been on my "to watch" list forever, won't read the reviews 'cause hate spoilers, hopefully I will get to it this summer.

Edited my post to include salient parts of the reviews.

QUOTE(Nimii @ Jul 28 2006, 09:39 PM) *

That would be something to watch on a big screen then! Thank you Tji. Awaiting for the movie to hit the silver screen here.

It's a 1998 film Nimz, if it hasn't hit the silver screen as yet ...
Here are some visuals, yun hi, because I am still with the movie as it were.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

deewani
Oh boy, well I'm definately not seeing it then until the big screen is out of storage and the house is done, lol. My little 19 inch isn't going to do justice to that! Thanks for the lovely images and the edits. smile.gif
Nimii
Nope it has never been released in this part of the world. So many movies never get released here, but do get released as vcds/dvds. A movie as old as 1998, hopefully will make a second round and get released here for the first time.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.