Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interview : Kumar Sanu Down, But Not Out!
Hamara Forums > Music > Singers > Kumar Sanu
SAJJAD
Source: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/singer/423/3/general/2/

Kumar Sanu’s name holds a prominence in the world of Hindi playback singing. He has sung 9000 songs in over 800 movies and is a singer who’ll be remembered for his tremendous success and fame in the world of music. After beginning his journey with the historic success of ‘Aashiqui’ he never looked back and ultimately claimed his position at the top. We don’t hear him often now, with his competitors ruling the market scene, but we surely miss him. We talk to the singer on the ongoing phase of his life.

Excerpts from an interview:

Is Kumar Sanu the public figure in some kind of hibernation since the last five years?

I won’t exactly say so. Its true that since a few years I’ve stayed away from the media glares. But I’m still in Mumbai living with my family. One thing has changed though, I’m not singing too many Hindi film songs. It shouldn’t be interpreted that my singing career has ended. I’m regularly recording for Bhojpuri, Bengali, Assamese, Tamil and Telugu films.

It’s good to hear you in some films that you sing.

I’m doing Hindi playbacking, but only for a few assignments. Last year I sang for ‘No Entry’ the track ‘Chickni Chickni’ and it was a hit. I still guard the quality factor in the works I do. So I’m doing only song less in quantity. Recently I’ve also recorded a song for Sooraj Barjatiya’s ‘Vivah’.

Are the reports true that currently you’re not getting too many offers in playbacking in Bollywood?

This is not true and I don’t know why people love spreading some baseless rumours about others. I’m an accomplished and established singer and have made for myself a place in the industry. I’m happy with my achievements and living a contented life. Film music moves with a trend and the trend is now different from our times. Music now is not just about singing or hearing, it has to be visually impressive also. I just cannot mould myself into that category. Hope time will again change for the better and this phase will die soon. I’m sure melody will return and I may start singing again then.

What do you mean by the change that has come across?

Our time was more aesthetic and there used to be lots of feeling and emotions in a song. What we see in the music channels nowadays is what I mean by the change. The songs have less pleasurable impact and more glamorous appeal. Semi-nude models and vulgar dance steps are must criteria for the songs. Songs of legendary Mukeshji, Rafiji, Kishoreji, Lataji and Ashaji are being ripped off to suit the taste.

What do you think about Himesh Reshammiya?

I’ve to admit that he is a lucky man. With the right kind of media hype and promotion, that is the call of the hour, he is flying in success. Songs that are average and bad are becoming chart busters. Melody has no place in music now. We know Himesh’s capability as a singer and Emraan Hashmi’s capability as an actor, but they’re the superstars of today. Anything can happen, we just cannot judge.

You’ve also started your new production company. Will you concentrate more on films now?

I’ve come up with my production company and the first film that we’ll produce is ‘Uttham’ with Priyanshu Chatterjee and Neha Dhupia. The shooting for the film is complete. I had been involved in all the stages of the film. I insisted the director to edit the film and take out some unwanted portions. The film has shaped out well and I hope people will like it. It’ll be releasing in June. But its not that I’m concentrating more on films now. I’m also paying due attention to music. I have composed the music of the film.

What are the other films that you are involved with at this moment?

I’m making another film based on Sarat Chandra’s novel. The film will start rolling by the end of this year. For the film I have already recorded two songs with Asha Bhonsle.

Are you working in any private albums?

Actually I’m bond by a contract and until I’m released from it, I cannot come with a music album of my own. Gulshan Kumar and his son Bhushan are very close to me, but I’ve been paid just Rs 101 for three years. One private album has also been lying with them for a year now. I’ve talked with Bhushan to release me from the contract.
ravikumarofindia
9000 songs in 800 movies, sounds unrealistic to me.
Where is the list of 9000 songs, who can verify?

I like his comments on Himesh Reshmiya!
myawan
9000 is very unrealistic.....It should not be more than 1500!!
Nimii
If we take a rough estimate of a max of 5 songs per movie 800 x 5 = 4000 songs! Ppl quote figures just to support their article. Sigh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.