Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pt. D.v. Paluskar
Hamara Forums > Music > Singers
sbiswas2005
For Music lovers....

Pandit Vishnu Digambar Paluskar (1872-1931) took up the task of conveying the message of Indian Classical Music to every home and convey it in the simplest way. An accident in his childhood deprived him of his eyesight. Inspite of this serious physical handicap, Paluskar took up musical training with enthusiasm and perseverance. He believed that music should not only be entertaining, it should also elevate and inspire. He realised that all great art should draw its inspiration from contemporary life and bereft of its social values it would be an empty kernel. He openly declared that his mission was to democratise the art of music. After giving public performances all over north India, in 1901, he founded the Gandharva Mahaavidyaalaya in Lahore, the first music school run by public funds. Here he trained individuals who would dedicate their lives to teaching music. In 1908, Paluskar migrated from Lahore to Bombay and opened a branch of the Gandharva Mahaavidyaalaya. Prominent among his disciples were his son D.V. Paluskar, Vinayak Rao Patwardhan, Narayan Rao Vyas and Pandit Omkarnath Thakur.
sri
Thanks for the profile ....the name in the title should be Pt V D Paluskar, i suppose - and not Pt. D V Paluskar...who was the son...and who also happens to be my most favourite indian classical singer !!

Very unfortunately, Pt V D Paluskar died when his son (DV) was just 10....and even more tragically, the highly talented son, Pt D V Paluskar (who was a child prodigy and who completed his learning from his father's other disciples) died suddenly at the young age of 34. But what he sang by then was enough to make him the No.1 in my books !

Sri
sbiswas2005
Hi Sri,

Thanks for ur quick response... So far my knowledge is concerned it is Pt. D. V. Paluskar. Pt. V.D. Paluskar was his father. If u can give more information on this I shall be very greatful....

Thanks and regds

Sbiswas
sri
QUOTE(sbiswas2005 @ Mar 31 2006, 01:07 PM) *
Hi Sri,
If u can give more information on this I shall be very greatful....
Sbiswas

Well.....the write-up you have provided is about Pandit Vishnu Digambar Paluskar ( V D Paluskar - the senior Paluskar)...but the photograph is that of his famous son Pandit Dattatreya Vishnu Paluskar ( known as Pandit D V Paluskar)

Sri
sri
Pics of the father Pt V D Paluskar (1872-1931)

sri
Pics of the son, Pandit D V Paluskar (1921-1955) - my most favourite classical singer !!!!!!!!
Many of you may have heard him in Baiju Bawra (1952) where he sang for Baiju in the competition against Tansen (Amir Khan sang for Tansen). He had his own style of singing, and while he was blessed with a very sweet voice and terrific control, his special forte was his great ability to convey the essence of any raga in just a short song...and in a way that would touch the hearts of his listeners. His early passing has been the greatest loss to Indian Classical music.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.