The actress has been cast opposite Amitabh Bachchan

After staying away from regional cinema in her 30-year career span in Bollywood, Hema Malini will be seen playing a central character in a Bhojpuri film opposite Amitabh Bachchan. The film, will be directed by Abhishek Chadda. Malini plays the role of a Thakurain ( and Bachchan's wife in the film.

The veteran actress made an exception in this case, on Bachchan's make-up man Deepak Sawant's insistence.

“We were shooting for Ravi Chopra's Babul when I approached Amitji for my film. When he agreed to do the film I wanted someone equally big to cast opposite him,”says Sawant. “I thought of Jaya Bachchanji, but then many of my friends suggested Hemaji. I was extremely skeptical about approaching her for a Bhojpuri film because I was aware that she doesn't like working in regional cinema. But when I shared my thoughts with Amitji, he asked me to approach Hemaji directly. So I mustered up courage and entered her makeup room. I thought she would refuse it, but I was surprised when she agreed. In fact she didn't even think twice before saying yes to the project.”

The film also stars Bhojpuri superstar Ravi Kisen and Nagma.

“It's a small role. I agreed because Deepak has been associated with Amitji for ages and he is a very nice human being,” says Hema Malini. Elaborating on her part, the director says, “Hemaji and Amitji has parallel roles in the film.”

But despite being averse to regional cinema, how did she agree to act in a Bhojpuri film. “I think there is hardly any difference between the Bhojpuri dialect and Hindi. I have played many characters in my films where I had to speak a dehati (rural) language. I agreed to work in the film because of its production value and the cast,” she says.

This week the director will be filming a Holi song sung by Sudhesh Bhonsle, Sadhana Sargam, Udit Narayan and Shreya Ghoshal, and choreographed by Saroj Khan. “I think people just love to see me in Holi songs. I love dance and whenever there is an opportunity I agree immediately,” she says.

Will they try and recreate the same magic they shared in the holi song in Baghbaan. “I guess in a Bhojpuri film, the sequence and the treatment will be different from regular Holi songs,” the actress says.

-- mumbai mirror