Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Of Khurshid Anwar
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Artists of Pakistan
Inaam
Click to view attachment
Hi music lovers!
Khawaja Khurshid Anwar was one of the greatest music directors of Indo-Pak subcontinent. I am starting this thread to discuss his music. Please share your favorite songs, articles and pictures as well. And also feel free to request the songs.
Following is a short introduction of the maestro Khurshid Anwar:
Khurshid Anwar was born in 1912. He had a graduate degree in philosophy and even passed an Indian Civil Services exam. However, he abandoned them all to pursue music. Having been brought up in a rather well to do family, he had listened to and interacted with some prominent musicians in Lahore. In the late thirties, he worked as a producer of music programmes on All India Radio. His first film as music director was the Punjabi, 'Kurmai' (1941). The first Hindi film he worked on was 'Ishaara' (1943). Khurshid Anwar did less films than many of his contemporaries, only nine in Bombay and nineteen in Lahore. However, most of these films were hits, making him one of the important music directors around the time of Independence. His music was very influenced by classical as well as folk sounds that he had picked up when he had lived with his grandfather in Haryana. (Courtesy: www.3to6.com)
Inaam
I am starting my uploads with a rare gem from film ‘Pagdandi’ (1941). It was requested by Mahesh & Mohd Bhai at Asha forum. According to Urzung Shahb, the singer of this song is not Asha Bhosley but another singer named Asha. (May be Irfan Sahib could shed more light).

Aankh Ke Paani Aankh Mein Reh Banke Kissi Ki Nishaani
Film: PAGDANDI
Singer: Asha
Lyrics: ?
kianwar
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Nov 17 2005, 08:32 PM) *

I am starting my uploads with a rare gem from film ‘Pagdandi’ (1941). It was requested by Mahesh & Mohd Bhai at Asha forum. According to Urzung Shahb, the singer of this song is not Asha Bhosley but another singer named Asha. (May be Irfan Sahib could shed more light).

The singer is ASHA POSLEY( Real name Riffat Aiysha). She was also heroine of
the first movie produced in Pakistan after 1947 - Teri Yaad. She died in 1994(?).
She acted as vamp in Intezar(1956).
Prem Dhawan was Assisstant of Khurshid Anwar in Pagdandi.
Just see him as a dancer in a song of film Singhar at Dr. Surjit's w/site.

Regards,

Irfan
Inaam
QUOTE(kianwar @ Nov 18 2005, 07:40 AM) *

The singer is ASHA POSLEY( Real name Riffat Aiysha). She was also heroine of
the first movie produced in Pakistan after 1947 - Teri Yaad. She died in 1994(?).
She acted as vamp in Intezar(1956).
Prem Dhawan was Assisstant of Khurshid Anwar in Pagdandi.
Just see him as a dancer in a song of film Singhar at Dr. Surjit's w/site.

Regards,

Irfan

Thanks for the information Irfan Sahib! Umeed hai aap aage bhi hamari madad kartey raheingey.

Wassalam

Inaam
Priya
Irfansaab,
I have a request and thot this is the best place to present it.
I remember my friend Ritu from RMIM telling me about the documentary U did on Khwajasaab which was aired at the RMIM meet a few years back.
Would it be possible for U to do something similar--but audio--on HF Radio for us fans. A little about his life and passion for music and most famous songs, some personal anecdotes. It would be a real treat for all of us. A one and a half hour programme maybe. Even when we played the Noor Jehan programme the other day there for a few young members who had never heard his music till then and became instant fans.
Please do consider this request.
Thanks.
Priya
Inaam
Yes please Irfan Sahib! Mein bhi Priya ka hum-aawaz hoon!!! biggrin.gif Please zara hamdardaana ghour farmaiye.

Inaam
Priya
I am sure I agree with Inaam, whatever those last few words are!!! laugh.gif

What does it mean? Turn a kindly eye to the request? unsure.gif
mahesh

inaam bhai,
thanks a lot for this song.
regards,
mahesh
mohd2004
Thanks a lot Inaam Bhai for this rare gem.

Mohd.
Inaam
QUOTE(priya @ Nov 19 2005, 12:58 AM) *

Exactly Priya! Tunhaari Urdu ab bohat improve ho gai hai tongue.gif
Inaam
You are most welcome Mahesh & Mohd Bhai.

Inaam
Priya
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Nov 19 2005, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(priya @ Nov 19 2005, 12:58 AM) *

Exactly Priya! Tunhaari Urdu ab bohat improve ho gai hai tongue.gif

jump.gif sab Madam ki badaulat!!!
Asha taught me Hindi, Madam is teaching me Urdu and Punjabi. tongue.gif
kianwar
QUOTE(priya @ Nov 18 2005, 10:09 PM) *

Irfansaab,
I have a request and thot this is the best place to present it.
I remember my friend Ritu from RMIM telling me about the documentary U did on Khwajasaab which was aired at the RMIM meet a few years back.
Would it be possible for U to do something similar--but audio--on HF Radio for us fans. A little about his life and passion for music and most famous songs, some personal anecdotes. It would be a real treat for all of us. A one and a half hour programme maybe. Even when we played the Noor Jehan programme the other day there for a few young members who had never heard his music till then and became instant fans.
Please do consider this request.
Thanks.
Priya

Thanks much Priya ji, Inaam and all the subscibers.

Priya ji, it was not a documentary which I showed at Denver meet (2002) of RMIM.
It is the Obituary programme of PTV, which is now available at Dr. Surjit's w/site in
video as well as in audio form. I also showed some parts of Rim Jhim programme
of PTV which was presented in june-nov 1985 in which practically all the singers
presented tribute to Khurshid Anwar by singing his songs. Later this was realsed by
Shalimar Recording Co. Although I am 'two finger typist', but still always available
in this and other forums. Thanks again.

Regards,

Irfan
Akhtar
haan madam nu duawan deyo
Priya
QUOTE(kianwar @ Nov 19 2005, 08:03 PM) *

Priya ji, it was not a documentary which I showed at Denver meet (2002) of RMIM.
It is the Obituary programme of PTV, which is now available at Dr. Surjit's w/site in
of PTV which was presented in june-nov 1985 in which practically all the singers
presented tribute to Khurshid Anwar by singing his songs. Later this was realsed by
Shalimar Recording Co. Although I am 'two finger typist', but still always available

Regards,

Irfan

Yes, I do have the audio version of that program from the site. Not the video though. sad1.gif I will dl that too. Thanks. smile1.gif
But please why don't U put together a program for us. It would be a real treat for us music lovers and Khurshid Anwar saab's fans.
mahesh
irfan sahab,
lot of khurshid anwar fans are looking for good quality songs of neelampari.although surjeet singhji has recently put these songs on his site,the quality leaves lot to be desired as all the songs end abruptly and last few lines have been sliced off.it would be great if you can ul these songs if you have them
thanks in advance,
mahesh
Inaam
QUOTE(kianwar @ Nov 19 2005, 08:03 PM) *

Regards,

Irfan

Dear Irfan Sahib!
‘Rim Jhim’ was a wonderful presentation of PTV. To my knowledge, Audio of this program was released by EMI in three cassettes and video by Shalimar Recording Co. in one VHS. I am still looking for the complete program.

There was another program with the same name ‘Rim Jhim’ about Khwaja Sahib (hosted by Naeem Tahir) which was based on original film songs. If I am not wrong you wrote the script of the program. It was an excellent series. Dar-asl yehi program tha jissne mujhe Khuwaja shahab ka diehard fan bana diya. I have recordings of some of the episodes of the program and anxiously looking for the missing parts. Would you please give me some details about that program? How many episodes were there? Any chance of getting the full video of this program? Can you upload the commentary (by Naeem Tahir) of the program here?

Regards

Inaam
Inaam
QUOTE(mahesh @ Nov 19 2005, 08:38 PM) *

irfan sahab,
lot of khurshid anwar fans are looking for good quality songs of neelampari.although surjeet singhji has recently put these songs on his site,the quality leaves lot to be desired as all the songs end abruptly and last few lines have been sliced off.it would be great if you can ul these songs if you have them
thanks in advance,
mahesh

Mahesh! I am looking for the same too!!! tongue.gif I have the video of Neelam Pari and I love all the songs. My most favorites are:
‘Sapnon mein aane waala baalam’ & ‘Ik tu dooji mein’, the last song was beautifully re sung by Nayyara Noor & Tahira syyed in PTV’s program ‘Rim Jhim’ (but unfortunatly was not included in EMI’s three cassettes Audio set sad.gif )
So Please Irfan Sahab upload the songs in good quality if you have them.
Inaam
Hi friends!
Just want to share with you a lovely melody of Khawaja Saheb! Hope you will like it.

Mohe piya milan ko jaane de...
Zehr-e-Ishq (1959)
Nahid Niyazi

It will be cool if Irfan shaeb share with us some intersting information about the musical score of 'Zahr-e-Ishq'.

Inaam
shuklas
Innam Nadeem :

Khwaja Khurshid Anwar has contributed so much to the music....equally to North Indian Classical Music...

If anyone wants to listen his voice : http://www.sarangi.info/ragamala

Shuklas
Inaam
Thanks for the link Shuklas Ji. I have 10 cassettes set of Raag Maala with 20-cassette set of ‘Gharanon Ki Gaiyki’. Basically Khurshid Anwar was a musicologist and ‘Raag Maala’ proves it.
shuklas
Dear :

Thanks.....Wondering how can we obtain copies of Ragmala 10 cassettes set of Raag Maala with 20-cassette set of ‘Gharanon Ki Gaiyki’ ?

Shuklas
Inaam
In 10 cossets of Rag Mala, Khurshid Anwar narrated the description of Rag (which is available at sarangi.com) along with the ‘Durut’ portion of the Raags sung by renowned Pakistani classical singers. The ‘Vilambit’ portion of the same Raags is included in 20 cassettes set under the tittle ‘Gharanon ki gaiyki’. Unfortunately I have a slow net connection and do not able to upload a long file. Let me know if you are looking for any particular Raag from these cassette sets, I will try my best to upload.
Inaam
In 10 cossets of Rag Mala, Khurshid Anwar narrated the description of Rag (which is available at sarangi.com) along with the ‘Durut’ portion of the Raags sung by renowned Pakistani classical singers. The ‘Vilambit’ portion of the same Raags is included in 20 cassettes set under the tittle ‘Gharanon ki gaiyki’. Unfortunately I have a slow net connection and do not able to upload a long file. Let me know if you are looking for any particular Raag from these cassette sets, I will try my best to upload.
shuklas
Innam Nadeem :

Thanks for your kind response and offer. If you have -Kaushiki Kanada/Khambhavati/Darbari/Desh/Deshi..& if if its not too difficult would love to have them.

Thanks.

Shuklas
Inaam
QUOTE(shuklas @ Dec 17 2005, 05:08 AM) *

Innam Nadeem :

Thanks for your kind response and offer. If you have -Kaushiki Kanada/Khambhavati/Darbari/Desh/Deshi..& if if its not too difficult would love to have them.

Thanks.

Shuklas

Shuklas Ji,
I think I have followings from your list:
Darbari (Ustad Salamat Ali Khan)
Desi (Ustad Salamat Ali khan)
Des (Roshan Ara Begum)
Khambhavati (Ustad Rmazan Khan)

I have it on audio cassetts and will digitize and upload them in Rag Rang forum in a couple of dys.

Inaam
shuklas
Innam Nadeem :

Thanks. Thanks so much. Take your time- No musical emergencies.

Shukals
Inaam
Irfan Sahib!
Would you please upload the complete track listing of Khawaja Sahib's pre-partition films (with the name of singers)?

Inaam
kianwar
QUOTE(Inaam_Nadeem @ Jan 16 2006, 01:51 AM) *

Irfan Sahib!
Would you please upload the complete track listing of Khawaja Sahib's pre-partition films (with the name of singers)?

Inaam

The Complete Works of Khurshid Anwar ( Indian Films ), available with Khurshid Anwar's
family can be found, alongwith other details at Dr. Surjit's w/site.
He has also started U/L songs from Pakistani films as well. songs from films, Intezar,
Mirza Sahiban, Zehr-e-Ishq and Jhoomer have alreday been U/L at :

http://films.hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html

Irfan
Inaam
I have found an article on net about famous Urdu poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz. Actually it is a conversation of Faiz Sahab with Zafar-ul-Hasan. I am posting here a portion of the article with shows that Khurshid Anwar beloned to Bhagat Singh's group. It is very interesting news for me. May be Irfan Sahab could shed more light on this matter.

"I have a friend, Khwaja Khurshid Anwar, who got me interested in music. Khurshid Anwar was a terrorist in the beginning; he belonged to Bhagat Singh’s group. He was sentenced also which was later remitted. Having left terrorism, he had inclined towards music. I used to go to the college during the day and in the evening, I listened to the music of great maestros in Khwaja Firoz Ud-Din’s drawing room, who was Khurshid Anwar’s father. Every great maestro of that time would come there including Ustad Tawwakul Hussain Khan, Ustad Abdul Waheed Khan, Ustad Ashiq Ali Khan, and Chhote Ghulam Ali Khan. I also socialized with the contemporary of these maestros and my friend, the late Rafiq Ghazanvi. Rafiq was a student at Law College. Student he was only in the name, he had taken the admission there only as a formality. Most of his time was spent with Khurshid Anwar and me. In this way, I got a valuable opportunity of appreciating this fine art also."
Inaam
21 March is marked as the Birth day of Khawaja khurshid Anwar. Following is a link of an Urdu article about Khurshid Anwar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/entertainment/st...urshid_ah.shtml

Inaam
Dear friends,

The 30th of this month is the Death Anniversary of legendary music director of subcontinent, Khurshid Anwar.
On this occasion I have planned a radio show.
Here are the details. Please do attend and make this a memorable occasion.
Looking forward to your encouragement and presence at chat.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
Akhtar
Thought I would bump this thread.

Khwaja Khurshid Anwar's death anniversary is nearly here again (4 days away)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.