As far as introdcution concerns, Pradeepji has already thrown light upon it.
I donot remember from where & when I got the following article. Today I found it in 'My Document' folder & thought to share with dear HFMs.

True music lovers have always valued and cherished the songs of Suman Kalyanpur. Suman has sung an infinite variety of songs, be it the playful song of the carefree youth ('Aha Aha Aa Ye Suhana Safar..') or a song instigating the immovable depths of love ('Chale Ja Chale Ja Jahan Pyar Mile..') or a mischievous song based on a western tune ('Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Ke Charche..') or a classical number ('Aajhu Na Aaye Baalam Sawan Beeta Jaye..').

Suman was born on January 26, 1937 in Dhaka (Bangla Desh). In 1943 her family shifted to Bombay. She received her musical training in Bombay itself. Before marriage Suman was known as Suman Hemadi, and, after getting married to a Bombay based businessman, she became Suman Kalyanpur, the name by which we all know her.

Once Talat Mahmood heard her voice in a musical concert. Getting highly impressed by her voice, he recommended her to his music recording company HMV. Suman got her first chance of giving playback in the film called 'Mangu', in 1954. She sang 'Koi Pukaare Dheere Se Tujhe.' under the baton of music director Mohd. Shafi. 'Mangu' had four other songs which were composed by O. P. Naiyyar. She gained recognition in the film world. But she was unfortunate that people found her voice very close to Lata Mangeshkar and it was said that she copies Lata. Due to this disappointing fact, the senior film makers slunk away from her. But inspite of all this, the producers of anti Lata camp made her sing in their movies.

Dil Ek Mandir (1963), Shagun (1964), Dil Hi To Hai (1963), Jahaan Ara (1964), Sanjh Aur Savera (1964), Paakeejah (1971), Baat Ek Raat Ki (1962), Noor Jahan (1967) and Miyan Biwi Razi (1960) are some of the movies for which she gave her outstanding performance. Till the last decade Suman Kalyanpur thrilled her audiences with her stage performances and concerts. She also made many successful foreign tours and concerts.

Suman never got the attention she deserved from the film-makers as well us from the film-goers. She sang around 740 songs (approximately) and few non-film songs as well. Inspite of being neglected by many film-makers it was her talent that she sung with almost every noted music directors and co-singers. Some of her most popopular songs are: 'Na Tum Hamen Jano..' (Baat Ek Raat Ki), 'Chhodo Chhodo Mori Baiyan..' (Miya Biwi Raazi), 'Dil Gham Se Jal Raha..' (Shama), 'Yun Hi Dil Ne Chaha Tha..' (Dil Hi To Hai), 'Bujha Diye Hain..' (Shagun), 'Mere Sang Gaa..' (Janwar), 'Mere Mehboob Na Ja..' (Noor Mahal), ' Tum Agar Aa Sako To..' (Ek Saal Pehle), 'Jo Hum Pe Gujarti Hai' (Mohabbat Isko Kehten Hain) etc