Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zeehale Muskin
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Lyricists > Gulzar
Roopa
this is about the song 'Zeehale muskin' from Ghulami, music by Laxmikant Pyarelal and lyrics by gulzar.I love this song. I wanted to know the meaning of the first two lines...i know those are lines by Ghalib or Faiz,the persian poet. And that the rest of the song lyrics are added by Gulzar but I want to know the meaning of the first two lines. Anyone?

Roopa
p1j
QUOTE(Roopa @ Oct 25 2005, 09:31 PM) *

this is about the song 'Zeehale muskin' from Ghulami, music by Laxmikant Pyarelal and lyrics by gulzar.I love this song. I wanted to know the meaning of the first two lines...i know those are lines by Ghalib or Faiz,the persian poet. And that the rest of the song lyrics are added by Gulzar but I want to know the meaning of the first two lines. Anyone?

Roopa

Roopa,

A Couple of Post from he archives of gulzarfans forum will help you..

just another gulzar fan

Pavan Jha

Post 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I am compiling some information about the song "Zihaal-e-miskeen mukon
ba-ranjish..." written by Gulzar from the movie Ghulami. I got this
information from a discussion among some Gulzar fans on Orkut.
There is a wonderful remark after the song.

First the meaning of the mukhda:
---------------------------------

zihaal-e-miskeen mukon ba-ranjish, bahaal-e-hijra bechara dil hai

zihaal = notice
miskeen = poor
mukon = do not
ba-ranjish = with ill will, with enimity
bahaal = fresh, recent
hijra = separation

Thus the meaning is: Notice the poor (heart), and do not look at it (heart)
with enimity. It (heart) is fresh with the wounds of separation.

Hindi mein (and more clearly): Ye dil judaai ke gamo se abhi bhi taaza hai.
Iski bechaargi ko ba-ranjish (without enimity) dekho.

Now the full song (it's really beautiful).
---------------------------------------------
(There is equally beautiful remark after the song)

zihaal-e-miskeen mukon ba-ranjish
bahaal-e-hijra bechara dil hai
sunaai deti hai jisaki dhaDakan
tumhaaraa dil ya hamaaraa dil hai

vo aake pahaloo meiN aise baiThe
ke shaam raNgeen ho gayi hai
zaraa zaraa si khili tabeeyat
zaraa si gamgeen ho gayi hai

kabhi kabhi shaam aise Dhalatee hai
jaise ghooNghaT utar rahaa hai
tumhaare seene se uThta dhuaaN
hamaare dil se guzar raha hai

ye sharm hai ya hayaa hai kya hai
najar uThaate hi jhuk gayi hai
tumhaari palakoN se girke shabanam
hamaari aaNkhoN meiN ruk gayi hai

Now a remark
--------------
Many words of this song are in Persian. The phrase "Zihaal-e-miskeen"
comes from a poem of Amir Khusrau. This original poem of Amir Khusrau
is a unique masterpiece. The beautiful thing about this poem is that
it it written in Persian and Brij bhasha simultaneously. The first
line is in Persian, second in Brij bhasha, third in persian, and so
on...!! What an unbelievable talent. And here are first four lines of
that poem.

zihaal-e-miskeen mukon taghaful (Persian)
doraaye nainaan banaye batyaan (Brij)

ke taab-e-hijraah nadarum-e-jaan (Persian)
na laihyo kaahe lagaye chatyaan (Brij)

This showcases Hazrat Amir Khusrau's mastery over the two languages and the
role played by him in the genesis of Urdu.

The complete poem taken from http://www.alif-india.com/ is

Ziehal-e miskeenn makun taghaful, duraye naina banaye batiyan;
ki taab-e hijran nadaram ay jaan, na leho kaahe lagaye chhatiyan.

Shaban-e hijran daraz chun zulf wa roz-e waslat cho umr kotah;
Sakhi piya ko jo main na dekhun to kaise kaatun andheri ratiyan.

Yakayak az dil do chashm-e jadoo basad farebam baburd taskin;
Kise pari hai jo jaa sunaave piyare pi ko hamaari batiyan.

Cho shama sozan cho zarra hairan hamesha giryan be ishq aan meh;
Na neend naina na ang chaina na aap aaven na bhejen patiyan.

Bahaqq-e roz-e wisal-e dilbar ki daad mara ghareeb Khusrau;
Sapet man ke waraaye raakhun jo jaaye paaon piya ke khatiyan.

And the English translation is:

Do not overlook my misery by blandishing your eyes,
and weaving tales; My patience has over-brimmed,
O sweetheart, why do you not take me to your bosom.
Long like curls in the night of separation,
short like life on the day of our union;
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night
without your face before.
Suddenly, using a thousand tricks, the enchanting eyes robbed me
of my tranquil mind;
Who would care to go and report this matter to my darling?
Tossed and bewildered, like a flickering candle,
I roam about in the fire of love;
Sleepless eyes, restless body,
neither comes she, nor any message.
In honour of the day I meet my beloved
who has lured me so long, O Khusrau;
I shall keep my heart suppressed,
if ever I get a chance to get to her trick.

I hope you enjoyed it.

-- Amit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post 2

Hemendra!

I thought this was discussed earlier.... I might be wrong...

the couplet is as following

zihaal-e-miskin makun-baranjish,
bahaal-e-hijra bechaaraa dil hai
sunaaii detii hai jisakii dhadkan
tumhara dil ya hamara dil hai

maskin means Gareeb, hijra mans judaai

the meaning could be...

Mere gareeb dil ke haal se Ranjish kyon?
Ye to pahle hi judaai ke maare bechara hai...
jiski dhadkan sunaai de rahi hai wo tumhara bhi ho sakta hai..
[could be any of the two]

ppl say that it is lifted from Ameer Khusro ghazal.. ofcourse the
first three words [persian] was used from Ameer Khusro Ghazal which goes like this...

Zehal-e miskin makun taghaful, varaye naina banaye batiyan;
ki taab-e hijran nadaram ay jaan, na leho kaahe lagaye chhatiyan.

but rest of the song is Gulzar's only...

Keep listening.. and Keep trying...

just another gulzar fan
Pavan Jha
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(Roopa @ Oct 25 2005, 12:01 PM) *

Roopa

Even the first two lines are really modified by Gulzar in that song....

Anyways the meaning of the mukhda: Zihaal-e-miskeen mukon ba-ranjish, bahaal-e-hijra bechara dil hai .. from GHULAMI song could be translated as :-

zihaal = notice
miskeen = poor
mukon = do not
ba-ranjish = with ill will, with enimity
bahaal = fresh, recent
hijra = separation

Ye dil judaai ke ghumm se abhi wyaakool hai (or can say abhi taaza hain)
Iski bechaari haalat ko ba-ranjish (without enimity) dekho.

deewani
This post has prompted me to listen to the Sudha/Mukesh version yet. My hats off to HF again for making me aware of that version. I also enjoy Muzafir Ali's version.
shivani
and where are those versions johnny : )
deewani
QUOTE(shivani @ Oct 26 2005, 02:11 AM) *
and where are those versions johnny : )

Well I can share the Mukeshji & Sudha one - the other is too new to put up here, I think..... Enjoy, courtesy of HF (sorry that I dont' remember the member's name). .

Bawra Jay
QUOTE(johnnykideewani @ Oct 26 2005, 01:21 AM) *

This post has prompted me to listen to the Sudha/Mukesh version yet. My hats off to HF again for making me aware of that version. I also enjoy Muzafir Ali's version.

And what would prompt you to make frequent visits here tongue.gif ..... Long time no see ???? When I was kid used to listen "ALL work and no play makes JACK a dull boy...." So let me reuse this phrase in a better context tongue.gif .. "All teaching and no kidding makes JKD a dull girl.............. " ha ha JK...
bibhas
There's also an unimitable version sung by Ghulam Ali sahab. (Courtesy HF, perhaps BJ bhai himself !)
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 27 2005, 11:01 AM) *

There's also an unimitable version sung by Ghulam Ali sahab.

And this is the best one and closer to what was Originally written / meant........

bibhas
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Oct 27 2005, 11:05 AM) *

And this is the best one and closer to what was Originally written / meant........

There's another version I have that's presented in a very different andaaz, more along the lines of a qawwaali. I think this also does justice to Khusrau's masterpiece. I am uploading it here, would appreciate if someone can identify the artists. Sorry for the not so great quality.
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 27 2005, 01:24 PM) *

There's another version I have that's presented in a very different andaaz, more along the lines of a qawwaali. I think this also does justice to Khusrau's masterpiece. I am uploading it here, would appreciate if someone can identify the artists. Sorry for the not so great quality.

FYI :
AMIR KHUSRO, the name synonymous with quawalis and riddles interspersed with the message of peace and brotherhood is as popular and relevant today as he was during his lifetime.

Spreading the message of the legend, a musical programme was organised by Hazrat Amir Khusro Academy at his dargah on the occasion of his 750th birth anniversary.

A book written on the philosophy of Amir Khusro by Pradeep Sharma Khusro, General Secretary of the Academy was also released on the occasion. Explaining the basic idea behind the book, the author said, "The book presents the Indian identity of this sufi and common man's poet. The book talks about Khusro's love for India, its people, cities, flora and fauna, rituals and festivals."

Reflecting on the contribution of Khusro, Mohammed Shahid Khan, President of the Academy said, "Amir Khusro was the first Muslim who talked about son of the soil, national integration, Hindu-Muslim communal and cultural unity, and that too at a time when religious schism was prevalent in the society."

Meanwhile, R.K. Sharma, advisor to the Academy assured that the Academy will preserve and translate all the Persian works of Amir Khusro in Hindi, English and Urdu.

Adding colour to the Khusro evening, the Nizami brothers - Ghulam Sabri, Ghulam Waris and Yusuf Khan rendered quawalis of the master.

Jaun
hi,

I m a new member , i am not able to download the attached files ...
the error msg says that i m not a trusted member...
is there any other alternative to download attached files (songs) from this forum....or is there any website hyperlink for this song
the song i want is
1. Zeehal - Muskin from 'Ghulami'
2. raat ke humsafar from 'An evening in paris'

Please help me to get this song .....
desai2rn
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Oct 27 2005, 11:31 PM) *

QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 27 2005, 01:24 PM) *

FYI :
AMIR KHUSRO, the name synonymous with quawalis and riddles interspersed with the message of peace and brotherhood is as popular and relevant today as he was during his lifetime.

Spreading the message of the legend, a musical programme was organised by Hazrat Amir Khusro Academy at his dargah on the occasion of his 750th birth anniversary.

A book written on the philosophy of Amir Khusro by Pradeep Sharma Khusro, General Secretary of the Academy was also released on the occasion. Explaining the basic idea behind the book, the author said, "The book presents the Indian identity of this sufi and common man's poet. The book talks about Khusro's love for India, its people, cities, flora and fauna, rituals and festivals."

Reflecting on the contribution of Khusro, Mohammed Shahid Khan, President of the Academy said, "Amir Khusro was the first Muslim who talked about son of the soil, national integration, Hindu-Muslim communal and cultural unity, and that too at a time when religious schism was prevalent in the society."

Meanwhile, R.K. Sharma, advisor to the Academy assured that the Academy will preserve and translate all the Persian works of Amir Khusro in Hindi, English and Urdu.

Adding colour to the Khusro evening, the Nizami brothers - Ghulam Sabri, Ghulam Waris and Yusuf Khan rendered quawalis of the master.

Jay, I believe there was a quawalli by Amir Khusro in Shyam Benagal's Mandi. I have heard it on a
radio program a couple of times. I rented the movie and there was only one line. If some one has an album of the movie it would be a great u/l. Its message is along the same line you mentioned above.

' har mein har ko dekha...'

Ramesh
deewani
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Oct 27 2005, 05:56 AM) *

And what would prompt you to make frequent visits here tongue.gif ..... Long time no see ???? When I was kid used to listen "ALL work and no play makes JACK a dull boy...." So let me reuse this phrase in a better context tongue.gif .. "All teaching and no kidding makes JKD a dull girl.............. " ha ha JK...

LOL! Yeah yeah, holidays are fast approaching. wink2.gif BTW, in my book, Jack IPB Image can never be a dull boy. tongue.gif It's not just work, it's also home improvements keeping me away.

Thanks bibhas, for the additional versions, will enjoy listening to them, as I enjoyed BJ's DJ-ing yesterday (that is until the Chaalbaaz song came on. tongue.gif. )
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(johnnykideewani @ Nov 1 2005, 09:20 AM) *

as I enjoyed BJ's DJ-ing yesterday (that is until the Chaalbaaz song came on. tongue.gif. )

Until Than was not taking request.... is when I started taking requests wink2.gif ... BTW what's u didnt like about the Chalbaaz song tongue.gif .....
unmeshpatil
Wow three versions of the same mukhda. Thanks to HF.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.