Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pervez Mehdi Died
Hamara Forums > Films > Lollywood
Inaam
LAHORE, Aug 29: Ghazal singer Pervez Mehdi died of cardiac arrest here on Monday. He was 58. A singer in classical mould, Pervez Mehdi had been a disciple of legend Mehdi Hassan.

Born to a musical family in 1947, his real name was Pervez Akhtar. He received his initial in Hindustani classical music from his father, Bashir Hussain Rani. Later he was trained by Mehdi Hassan, who also renamed him as Pervez Mehdi. He also learnt Sitar from Ahmed Qureshi.

His first break was through Radio Pakistan in 1968. Like his guru, he composed himself. Mehdi Hassan’s influence on his compositions and rendering was considerable.

Pervez Mehdi released quite a few albums, both in Pakistan and in India.

According to APP, Pervez Mehdi rose to prominence through a folk number, Gori-e-Mein Janaan Pardes, he sang along with Reshman.

He performed for more than 30 years and sang hundreds of songs, including folk, geet and ghazal for film, radio, TV and private musical sittings.

The widely-travelled Mehdi was named recipient for ‘Sitar-i-Imtiaz’ by the President of Pakistan on the occasion of Independence Day this year.

Resident of Fayyaz Park, Mughalpura, Mehdi has left behind a widow and five children.

Family sources said the funeral prayers would be held after three or four days after the return of his son from the US.

The Lahore Press Club governing body and members meanwhile condoled his death.
Click to view attachment

Source: DAWAN Karachi
shaibaal
Inaam,
Sad to hear about Pervez Mehdi's untimely passing away.
I really do not know too much about him or cannot claim to have heard a lot of his music - but I remember seeing him perform live in the mid-eighties at Surat. I had enjoyed his programme immensely - although I only remember one song from that performance (it is almost twenty years now) - "aye husn-e-lalafaam (have I got the word right?) zaraa aankh to milaa, khaali pade hain jaam zara aankh to milaa"....
I love his rendition of "Jo shajar sookh gaya ho woh haraa kaise ho"..
Shaibaal.
tahir77
cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif
qhabibi
Parvez Mehdi Was a Great singer His Most Popular Song is
Meriyan Gaalan Yaad Karein Gi

Lyrics By A.R Habibi My Grand Father

His Death Is agreat Loss For Us
Inaam
QUOTE(shaibaal @ Sep 30 2005, 07:10 AM) *

Inaam,
Sad to hear about Pervez Mehdi's untimely passing away.
I really do not know too much about him or cannot claim to have heard a lot of his music - but I remember seeing him perform live in the mid-eighties at Surat. I had enjoyed his programme immensely - although I only remember one song from that performance (it is almost twenty years now) - "aye husn-e-lalafaam (have I got the word right?) zaraa aankh to milaa, khaali pade hain jaam zara aankh to milaa"....
I love his rendition of "Jo shajar sookh gaya ho woh haraa kaise ho"..
Shaibaal.

Ya Shaibaal! He was a good singer! I had met with him many years ago in a dinner party at Lahore. You mentioned his ghazal "Aye husn-e-lalafaam" (absolutly correct words) by any chance do you have this ghazal? Is so, please share with us.

Inaam

QUOTE(qhabibi @ Sep 30 2005, 06:06 PM) *

Parvez Mehdi Was a Great singer His Most Popular Song is
Meriyan Gaalan Yaad Karein Gi

Lyrics By A.R Habibi My Grand Father

His Death Is agreat Loss For Us

So your grand father is a poet! Thats news for me Qasim! What is his good name? Can you share this song with us please?

SAJJAD
Very Sad news....He is kind of regular on PTV. Can someone plz upload his ghazals? sobsob.gif
shaibaal
Inaam,
I am afraid I don't have the ghazal. I think I have "Jo shajar sookh gaya ho" and if I can find it I will u/l in a couple of days.
Shaibaal.
shaibaal
QUOTE(shaibaal @ Oct 2 2005, 04:19 PM) *

Inaam,
I am afraid I don't have the ghazal. I think I have "Jo shajar sookh gaya ho" and if I can find it I will u/l in a couple of days.
Shaibaal.

Inaam,
It has taken me a while but I found the song. I would love to know the name of the shaayar if you can tell me...

Jo shajar sookh gaya hai woh haraa kaise ho
Main payamwar to nahi meraa kahaa kaise ho...

My favorite sher -

Jisko jaana hi nahi usko khudaa kyon maane
Aur jise jaan chukey hain woh khudaa kaise ho...

Duur se maine dekh-key usey pehchaan liyaa
Usne itna bhi nahi mujhse kahaa "kaise ho...."

Woh bhi ek daur thaa jab maine tujhey chaaha thaa
Dil ka darwaaza hai har waqt khula kaise ho....

Shaibaal.
Click to view attachment
Inaam
So nice of you Shaibaal Ji. Wonderful lyrics! Unfortunatly I don't know the Poet name.

Thanks again for the upload.

Inaam
Anupama
QUOTE(shaibaal @ Oct 24 2005, 08:06 PM) *

Inaam,
Shaibaal.

Inaam,
It has taken me a while but I found the song. I would love to know the name of the shaayar if you can tell me...

My favorite sher -

Shaibaal.
Click to view attachment

Poet is Shehzad Ahmed
shaibaal
QUOTE(Anupama @ Oct 25 2005, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Oct 24 2005, 08:06 PM) *

Inaam,
Shaibaal.

Inaam,

My favorite sher -

Shaibaal.
Click to view attachment

Poet is Shehzad Ahmed

Thank you Anupama,
You seem to be very well informed!
Welcome to HF,
Shaibaal.
bibhas
That's a really sad news, just saw this thread.

Shaibaal, thanks for the wonderful ghazal you uploaded. Years ago, I was fortunate to attend a concert by Mehdi Hassan sahab when he sang this ghazal. But he chose a different selection of Ash'ar to sing from Shehzad Ahmed's ghazal. He sang thus:

jo shajar suukh gayaa hai vo haraa kaise ho
main payambar to nahiin meraa kahaa kaise ho

dil ke har zarre pe hai naqsh-e-muhabbat uskii
nuur aaNkhon kaa hai aaNkhon se judaa kaise ho

jis ko jaanaa hii nahiin usko Khudaa kyuuN maane
aur jise jaan chuke hain, vo Khudaa kaise ho

umr saarii to aNdhere men nahiin kaT saktii
ham agar dil na jalaayen to ziaa kaise ho

jis-se do roz bhii khul kar na mulaaqaat huii
muddaton baad mile bhii to gilaa kaise ho

kin nigaahon se use dekh rahaa huuN "Shehzad"
mujh ko maaluum nahiin, us ko pataa kaise ho

Unfortunately, I do not have a recording of this ghazal. I wonder if Mehdi sahab ever released this commercially.

Bibhas
shaibaal
QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 27 2005, 11:53 AM) *

That's a really sad news, just saw this thread.

Shaibaal, thanks for the onderful ghazal you uploaded. Years ago, I was fortunate to attend a concert by Mehdi Hassan sahab when he sang this ghazal. But he chose a different selection of Ash'ar to sing from Shehzad Ahmed's ghazal. He sang thus:

jo shajar suukh gayaa hai vo haraa kaise ho
main payambar to nahiin meraa kahaa kaise ho

dil ke har zarre pe hai naqsh-e-muhabbat uskii
nuur aaNkhon kaa hai aaNkhon se judaa kaise ho

jis ko jaanaa hii nahiin usko Khudaa kyuuN maane
aur jise jaan chuke hain, vo Khudaa kaise ho

umr saarii to aNdhere men nahiin kaT saktii
ham agar dil na jalaayen to ziaa kaise ho

jis-se do roz bhii khul kar na mulaaqaat huii
muddaton baad mile bhii to gilaa kaise ho

kin nigaahon se use dekh rahaa huuN "Shehzad"
mujh ko maaluum nahiin, us ko pataa kaise ho

Unfortunately, I do not have a recording of this ghazal. I wonder if Mehdi sahab ever released this commercially.

Bibhas

Bibhas,
Two reasons why I envy you right away.
One, you saw and heard the great Mehdi Sahab perform live (for me it looks like that will be an unfulfilled dream...), and second, at least you heard his rendition of the song even once...!!
Did you write the couplets down as he sang? Was the tune the same as Pervez's rendition?
Would love to get a copy of the Mehdi Hassan version too, if at all available.
Shaibaal.
bibhas
QUOTE(shaibaal @ Oct 28 2005, 09:10 AM) *

Bibhas,
Two reasons why I envy you right away.
One, you saw and heard the great Mehdi Sahab perform live (for me it looks like that will be an unfulfilled dream...), and second, at least you heard his rendition of the song even once...!!
Did you write the couplets down as he sang? Was the tune the same as Pervez's rendition?
Would love to get a copy of the Mehdi Hassan version too, if at all available.
Shaibaal.

Shaibaal, Finally I got a chance to be the object of your envy. Your rub shoulders with so many classical musicians regularly, I would give anything to be in your shoes ! I hope and pray that Mehdi Hassan sahab's health will improve and permit him to start singing live again.

Yes, I do consider myself very very fortunate for having been at that concert. The uniqueness of that event prompted me to take down everything he sang. Those were the days when I had no money to buy a tape recorder !

The tune he sang was essentially similar to the one by Parvez Mehdi ( I guess it was taught to him by Mehdi Hassan sahab) but he sang it in his unimitable Live andaaz enunciating each sher. I remember he had sung this and "Go zaraa si baat ko" for well over an hour. I have been looking for a commercial release of this ghazal but have not found it anywhere. Maybe Inaam or one of our other members based in Pakistan might have better luck finding it.
shaibaal
Shaibaal, Finally I got a chance to be the object of your envy
You have been that for a long time now - I have been following the Determinism thread, remember?...

Your rub shoulders with so many classical musicians regularly, I would give anything to be in your shoes ! I hope and pray that Mehdi Hassan sahab's health will improve and permit him to start singing live again.

You would certainly have made much more of the opportunities than I have, I am certain......
I do hope all our prayers get answered and I am able to fulfil my dream of listening to Mehdi Hassan Sahab in a live performance.....
Shaibaal.
shaibaal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Found this on youtube - taken by a student of Ustad Tari Khan and surreptitiously too, I guess. While the focus is on the tabla, you do get to see Parvez Mehdi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.