Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guidance Required For My Career
Hamara Forums > General > Education World
tusharhaldanker82
I am BE in Electrical from Mumbai University and I have Just completed my Engg. two months back. My academic performance was very bad, it took me 6 years to complete my Engineering. I want to know what extra courses should I do to bring my carrier back on track. I am mostly interested in sofware courses. Can somebody suggest suitable courses which have demand in the market and the suitable institutions, like in Poona or Bangalore ?
shivani
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 19 2005, 03:59 PM)
I am BE in Electrical from Mumbai University and I have Just completed my Engg. two months back.  My academic performance was very bad, it took me 6 years to complete my Engineering. I want to know what extra courses should I do to bring my carrier back on track. I am mostly interested in sofware courses. Can somebody suggest suitable courses which have demand in the market and the suitable institutions, like in Poona or Bangalore ?

Tushar
Why did it take you so much time to finish your engineering? Is it because you had no interest at all in the subject or you were careless or something else?
Also what is the reason you wish to do software?
I would suggest to start with you should take some aptitude tests and be honest htere. You can find many here on Net. They should tell you atleast somethign about your capabilities.
This is just a suggestion and you are welcome to completely ignore it :-).
Shivani
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 19 2005, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 19 2005, 03:59 PM)
I am BE in Electrical from Mumbai University and I have Just completed my Engg. two months back.  My academic performance was very bad, it took me 6 years to complete my Engineering. I want to know what extra courses should I do to bring my carrier back on track. I am mostly interested in sofware courses. Can somebody suggest suitable courses which have demand in the market and the suitable institutions, like in Poona or Bangalore ?

Tushar
Why did it take you so much time to finish your engineering? Is it because you had no interest at all in the subject or you were careless or something else?
Also what is the reason you wish to do software?
I would suggest to start with you should take some aptitude tests and be honest htere. You can find many here on Net. They should tell you atleast somethign about your capabilities.
This is just a suggestion and you are welcome to completely ignore it :-).
Shivani

Actually I was in such a group that we all were very "bindaas" people and all of us took the same No. of years for our Engg. Do you feel I shouldn't go in software field ? If yes, why?
shivani
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 19 2005, 10:51 PM)
Actually I was in such a group that we all were very "bindaas" people and all of us took the same No. of years for our Engg. Do you feel I shouldn't go in software field ? If yes, why?

I am not saying what you should do or should not do. Only askign you why do you wish to do what you suggested.
Think about it.
btw what are your friends doing now? I hope your carrear decision is not based on what they are doing...or is it
NATURE
Hello Tushar Ji ... don't worry for yr bad academic background and instead of 4 u took 6 yrs.
Sometimes it happens in life but if it is happened then just don't worry for it and do yr work with
More interest and dedication, u will do very well ... Regarding yr Career , u said u r interested in
Software so wanna job or research ? Yr background is Electrical then think how much courses
U have done in Software ... have finished basic ? if u want to go for Job then there r some professional
COurses that will help in building this career: like provided by CCL, NIIT, ORACLE etc .. if u do PGDCA,
PGDIT .. then opportunities will come out. If in Electrical Engneering also u did the basic in Software
Then u can try for Software Companies ( U will get many in Pune, Bangalore, Bombay ), u have just
To stay in touch to their Advertisements. But u have to see whether u r professionally eligible or not
For them. But u did B.E. in Electrical Engineering, it's a very good subject I think and u will find many ways
To go in this path ... Like IITs, they also take B.E. Students for their Projects and once u go to
IITs u can find lots of other opportunities for both Research and Job. But have to work hard and clearing
GATE will give u more preference. Don't bother about yr Friends group, just think what is yr interest and
What is yr backround ... accordingly follow the path will sure get something that will suit yr needs and
Interests ... Bye, ALL THE VERY BEST ... u can ask anything more, Friends r here to try to help u ...
tusharhaldanker82
Thank you very much Natureji for your thoughts and suggestions.
Actually I stay in Goa and right now there are no jobs for Electrical Engnrs in Goa. So I am worried that I have already wasted 2 yrs and now I am wasting more. Thats why I want to do something instead of sitting idle at home.

Shivaniji thank you too for your concern.
No Shivaniji none of my friends are interested in software. Actually I am a bit confused about my carrier
Pradeep
Do what interests you. If computer intersts you, take that up. Do a course at NIIT and start applying. There are diverse fields within computers itself.. so it all depends on what you are interested.

I had done BCOM and I hated accounts, I still do. Computers interested me a lot. Took up GNIIT and jumped into softwares.
shivani
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 22 2005, 01:17 AM)
Actually I stay in Goa and right now there are no jobs for Electrical Engnrs in Goa. So I am worried that I have already wasted 2 yrs and now I am wasting more. Thats why I want to do something instead of sitting idle at home.

No Shivaniji none of my friends are  interested in software. Actually I am a bit confused about my carrier

Tushar
The only reason I suggested taking an aptitude test before joining any course is, because you are confused. It will help you make an informed decision.
As Pradeep said there are many areas in computers as well. You could choose to join hardware/ support/ database admins/ programmer.
And nowadays, the courses are available for each specific area. It might help to do a specialization course.

-Shivani
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 21 2005, 01:47 PM)

No Shivaniji none of my friends are  interested in software. Actually I am a bit confused about my carrier

Tushar,

I may be able to help you think through your options, if you indulge me and answer my questions as honestly (and as precisely) as you can. This shouldn't take very long. Here's the first set -

1) Does your immediate family reside in Goa also? If not, where are they located.
2) How willing are you to live away from your near and dear ones for a span of at least 5 and upto 10 years (of course, visiting them once in a while)
3) What was your favorite subject in 9th standard? Why?

Hits
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(hits @ Aug 23 2005, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 21 2005, 01:47 PM)

Tushar,

I may be able to help you think through your options, if you indulge me and answer my questions as honestly (and as precisely) as you can. This shouldn't take very long. Here's the first set -

1) Does your immediate family reside in Goa also? If not, where are they located.
2) How willing are you to live away from your near and dear ones for a span of at least 5 and upto 10 years (of course, visiting them once in a while)
3) What was your favorite subject in 9th standard? Why?

Hits

This seems to be a better idea hits. so here are my answers.

1) Yes my family and me have forever resided in goa.
2) I have spent 4-5 years in hostel so leaving my home is not a problem for me.
3) Maths, not only in 9th standard but throughout my education maths was my favourite subject. Reason..... I like to solve problems, complicated problems, I like to put my brains in the problems.

Pradeepji can you tell me which are the top software institutes in bangalore? And what will be the fees like if I take up Oracle and Java?
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 22 2005, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 22 2005, 01:17 AM)

Tushar
The only reason I suggested taking an aptitude test before joining any course is, because you are confused. It will help you make an informed decision.
As Pradeep said there are many areas in computers as well. You could choose to join hardware/ support/ database admins/ programmer.
And nowadays, the courses are available for each specific area. It might help to do a specialization course.

-Shivani

Where can I take up an aptitude test shivani? If they are available online can u give me the link?
shivani
Go here Tushar and you would find lot of test.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=aptitude+tests&meta=

About your interest in matematics.. Well I think you would have to take up programming if you wish a carrer in maths + computers. Either Graphical programming which requires intensive use of mahemetical modelling or get into serious programming in financial sector.
Decide which way you wish to go and then depending on that select the institute.
I would also suggest that you can start working in a smaller firm for some real experience along with doing your course. The stiuation is not as bad as it used to be now and freshers are also able to get jobs in software firms.
It will give you better idea of where you wish to go while doing your course.
-Shivani
NATURE
Good Shivani Ji ... it seems u have very good skills in making Ideas , nice. And Hits Ji, it seems
U r giving importance to Fundamentals, rite ? There is a reason behind it ofcourse ... liked yr
Suggestions too.

Tushar Ji , about yr Mathematics interest Shivani Ji suggested nicely. Look @ me, after reading
Shivani's Suggestion I feel I need not to think. BTW which area in Mathematics interests u most ?
If it is applied / computation oriented then the above Ideas r suitable I think. Otherwise in
Pure Mathematics also u will find some ways ... Just think yrself and look @ the options u have ...

( Some Software Companies are : Infosys , Veritas , Satyam , Hughes , CinTel , Wipro. )
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 23 2005, 12:40 AM)

3) Maths, not only in 9th standard but throughout my education maths was my      favourite subject. Reason..... I like to solve problems, complicated problems, I like to put my brains in the problems.

Great Tushar. Here're my next set of questions. Now, take some time to answer these questions (and keep in mind the answers in your previous post). It may involve doing some research (Shivani has already set you up in the right direction) -

1) Given your background an an engineer (and as an electrical engineer), and given your obvious interest in Math, what are the top 5 areas that you think are suitable for you to begin a career? (try to be broad here - software may be just one category at this stage).

2) Of the above top 5 areas, can you now split the top 2 areas into 5 each, thereby giving you 10 distinct areas of opportunity (keep in mind that at this stage we are not worried about job prospects, salaries, etc...)

At the end of the day, you should have upto 10 separate areas of interest and opportunity in front of you. In the process, you should have gained a broad knowledge of what these areas entail. We will get into specifics the next time.
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(hits @ Aug 23 2005, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 23 2005, 12:40 AM)

3) Maths, not only in 9th standard but throughout my education maths was my      favourite subject. Reason..... I like to solve problems, complicated problems, I like to put my brains in the problems.

Great Tushar. Here're my next set of questions. Now, take some time to answer these questions (and keep in mind the answers in your previous post). It may involve doing some research (Shivani has already set you up in the right direction) -

1) Given your background an an engineer (and as an electrical engineer), and given your obvious interest in Math, what are the top 5 areas that you think are suitable for you to begin a career? (try to be broad here - software may be just one category at this stage).

2) Of the above top 5 areas, can you now split the top 2 areas into 5 each, thereby giving you 10 distinct areas of opportunity (keep in mind that at this stage we are not worried about job prospects, salaries, etc...)

At the end of the day, you should have upto 10 separate areas of interest and opportunity in front of you. In the process, you should have gained a broad knowledge of what these areas entail. We will get into specifics the next time.

well ....

1) the top five ares of interest ..... 1) software
2) Vlsi/embeded systems
3) Production
4) Maintainance

Thats all I can think

2) Software and Maintainance are my top two priorities but not too sure what to choose within them

shivani
what kind of Production and Maintenance Tushar?
Are you talkign about Industrial production??
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 26 2005, 07:38 PM)
what kind of Production and Maintenance Tushar?
Are you talkign about Industrial production??

yeah.
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 26 2005, 07:00 AM)

well ....

1) the top five ares of interest ..... 1) software
                                                  2) Vlsi/embeded systems
                                                  3) Production
                                                  4) Maintainance

Thats all I can think

2) Software  and Maintainance are my top two priorities but not too sure what to choose within them

Okay Tushar. If these 2 areas are indeed the ones that you think are your top priorities, then answer question 2 I had in the previous post in detail. In the process, you'll understand the options within software, and in your research, you'll learn new stuff too.

tusharhaldanker82
In software I have the choises of doing Dot Net, Sql Server, Oracle DBA, VB, JAVA, Software Testing. Still confuswed what to opt for.

In maintainance I think there are many industries eg. Pharmaceuticals where I can chance a job.
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 28 2005, 01:10 AM)
In software I have the choises of doing Dot Net, Sql Server, Oracle DBA, VB, JAVA, Software Testing. Still confuswed what to opt for.

In maintainance I think there are many industries eg. Pharmaceuticals where I can chance a job.

Tushar,

Now look at these individual options from 2 perspectives -

1) Your current proficiency and knowledge
2) Opportunities available

Try making a word document as you spend time on this stuff. In that, put down (at a high level) what you already know about, say, Software testing. This will help you in the next step, where we will try to identify the options for courses, if you need to go for any.

Also, in identifying opportunities available, make notes against each of the above options you've identified. Try to be as specific as possible with job nature and even company names (if you know them already). In the next step, we'll try to find out where you can start aiming.

Hits
shivani
Tushaar.. I would also suggest you to ask yourself, if you want a field job or want to sit in an office.
You have shown interest in Inductrial maintenance.. opt for it only if you want to get your hands real dirty ( literally)
In cmputers, you can opt for hardware maintanence, that would involve you work out of an office as well. I only know Jetking who provides those courses bt there might be others as well.
Then there is an option of doing a course on server, routers setup, ( Cisco provides such a course here in India). You would be able to work as support professional in any IT company, responsible for setting up and maintaining their infrastructre ( computers, routers, cables etc etc.)

-Shivani
sri
Tushar

My recommendation to you - considering (a) your BE degree (sunglasses2.gif interest in maths © growing opportunities in the IT, software domain, is as follows :

1. focus on IT, software through doing some additional courses as some have suggested - which ones specifically - you could explore here
2. forget about industrial production and maintenance - you may not like it / opportunities may be fewer / compensation may be not too good

i see some excellent support coming from various members ! Good for you.

Sri
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(sri @ Aug 30 2005, 01:29 PM)
Tushar

My recommendation to you - considering (a) your BE degree (sunglasses2.gif interest in maths © growing opportunities in the IT, software domain, is as follows :

1. focus on IT, software through doing some additional courses as some have suggested - which ones specifically - you could explore here
2. forget about industrial production and maintenance - you may not like it / opportunities may be fewer / compensation may be not too good

i see some excellent support coming from various members ! Good for you.

Sri

Thank u Sri. Thanks because I always like when somebody recomends me for IT, software instead of other industrial jobs.
Yes many members are putting some effort to help me out, Its so nice of them.

Shivaniji Thank u too. yes I want a office job and in computers.

Hitsji Dot net and sql server were recomended for me by a friend. About software testing I know that the IT industry requires about 8000 software testers in Bangalore alone this year. Software testing was considered Once as the option for engineers who never made ‘good programmers’, But today it is one of the most sought after careers.
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 31 2005, 11:40 AM)
Thank u  Sri. Thanks because I always like when somebody recomends me for IT, software instead of other industrial jobs.

Hitsji Dot net and sql server were recomended for me by a friend. About software testing I know that the IT industry requires about 8000 software testers in Bangalore alone this year. Software testing was considered Once as the option for engineers who never made ‘good programmers’, But today it is one of the most sought after careers.

Tushar,

So you know what the basic opportunity is in Software testing. My advice is to do the same research for each of the areas you identified a few posts ago. That process itself will reveal the next steps.

Can you go through that research seriously for me?

Once you are done with that, the next step is to identify gaps in your knowledge with respect to those specific opportunities. For example, what skills do you need on paper (for Software testing) to be considered as a competent candidate for 1 of the 8000 jobs you referred to? Please go through this exercise in detail for each of the areas you identified.

Let me know once you are done.

Thanks
Hits
tusharhaldanker82
QUOTE(hits @ Sep 1 2005, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Aug 31 2005, 11:40 AM)
Thank u  Sri. Thanks because I always like when somebody recomends me for IT, software instead of other industrial jobs.

Tushar,

So you know what the basic opportunity is in Software testing. My advice is to do the same research for each of the areas you identified a few posts ago. That process itself will reveal the next steps.

Can you go through that research seriously for me?

Once you are done with that, the next step is to identify gaps in your knowledge with respect to those specific opportunities. For example, what skills do you need on paper (for Software testing) to be considered as a competent candidate for 1 of the 8000 jobs you referred to? Please go through this exercise in detail for each of the areas you identified.

Let me know once you are done.

Thanks
Hits

Yes i'll do that, need some time though.
hits
QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Sep 1 2005, 12:39 PM)
Yes i'll do that, need some time though.

Absolutely. That will be time well spent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2021 Invision Power Services, Inc.