Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andamans
Hamara Forums > General > Tourists paradise
Nimii
Day 3 and 4 October 8, 9 2002
After our return from Jolly buoy islands we all set for Havelock.

The ship that was to ferry us was scheduled to leave at 6.30 a.m. A good 4 hours ferry to this island that lies to the east of Port Blair.

The ship was fairly big and could house more than 200 odd people. The insides was nothing to extol about! Badly maintained and a room with plastic moulded furniture for people to sit. Two pedestal fans placed in the front and a blaring speaker with crappy music.

Four hours was pure torture till we reached our destination. Our in-charge picked us from the port and we checked in at the Dolphin Inn. These are cottages on the seashore. We had the two best cottages ;) after all we were vip guests ;)

There was nothing much to venture in Havelock. It is a small island. We spent the afternoon till late in the evening in the beach playing in the waters. The sand was again patterned in spirals by the small crabs :) Had a nice hot cup of tea and some nice garam garam pakoras ;) at the cafetaria on the beach (Radhanagar beach). We had the in-charge with us and had a nice long chit chat with him about the local politics and he came out with his life story of how he managed to keep himself there even though initially he had to face a lot of probs with the local political goondas! Poor fella :(

It rained that night and we could see the waves hitting the sides of the wall of the platform on which the cottages were built. It was a fearful sight if one would start thinking of the worse... We though didnt give much ear to the lashing of the waves had a great toast with champagne inside our cottage (it was my aunt's 70th birthday :P) and then it was followed by sumptuous food from the restaurant. At first we thought of going to the beach and having the meal there, but then decided against it ( as the champagne could not be chilled :( We had befriended some guys/gals who had come from Mumbai ;) on the beach at Jolly Buoy and they had come to Havelock too! They heard about the birthday and had arranged for a bonfire and cake :( but unfortunately we were not aware of it and had cancelled the plan to the beachside :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( We came know of this the next day at the port on our way out of Havelock ;)

The return was by the same 4 hr ship. There is a speed ship at 2 p.m. which can take us back in 2 hrs but it is a small ship and could carry only 100 ppl :( So we decided to go by the 10 a.m.scheduled ship to suffer the 4 hrs of torture :(

DAY 4 9TH OCTOBER 2002- Light and Sound show at Cellular jail

We reached around 3 p.m. and felt such a homecoming when we reached our
hotel room in Peerless! Had our evening tea with nice pakoras ;) and went up to have a quick hot wash after that sweaty trip in the ship :P . We had decided to go for the sound and light show at the cellular jail in the evening.

It was 6.30 p.m. and the Bolero arrived with Salaam to take us to the Cellular Jail. We had our mosquito repellent cream on ;) and all set for the evening show at the Cellular Jail. The next 1 hour went so fast taking us back in time to the period when the British ruled India. The show was spell bounding. The show starts off with the relaying of the tale of the bad wicked jail warden, by an old peepal tree that has been in the compound of the jail over the years. The tree (voice by Om Puri) tells us all that has happened in the past. It was a very depressing thing to hear all the stuff that the prisoners had to go through :( - the torture that they went through. History coming alive inside that jail was something that would make us all humble :(

Day 5 to be contd...

Lata
wow !! Beaches do relax u isnt it? I have been to many a places on the western coast of India and they all have amazing beaches. The ones on the Saurashtra line r very beautiful. Somnath, Dwarka...etc.....sigh* sad.gif

Ab to we live in a land locked state. Door door tak beaches ka naamo nishan nahin. India is truely diverse.
Nimii
QUOTE (Lata @ Mar 16 2004, 04:32 PM)
wow !! Beaches do relax u isnt it? I have been to many a places on the western coast of India and they all have amazing beaches. The ones on the Saurashtra line r very beautiful. Somnath, Dwarka...etc.....sigh* sad.gif

Ab to we live in a land locked state. Door door tak beaches ka naamo nishan nahin. India is truely diverse.

Well I can understand coz I too am living in a landlocked city sad.gif( With every moving year I hate this place more than the previous year sad.gif It is turning into a hell hole indeed sad.gif - I am talkin of the city I live : sad.gif

N mad.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE (Lata @ Mar 16 2004, 10:02 PM)

Very true...I too loved Somnath beach...Though that is the most dangerous beach I have seen...The water current is very high there and I guess they have restricted the beach area there these days...

Anyone ever been to the beach at Diu? That is amazing... Then speaking of western coast, I liked Alibaug beach not the one which is visited by everyone but there is one beach there which is almost deserted and water there is very clear and blue...

I truly miss walking down Mumbai's Marine Drive along the sea on a monsoon day...

Cheers,
Nimii
QUOTE (vivekpm @ Mar 17 2004, 04:22 AM)

Very true...I too loved Somnath beach...Though that is the most dangerous beach I have seen...The water current is very high there and I guess they have restricted the beach area there these days...

Anyone ever been to the beach at Diu? That is amazing... Then speaking of western coast, I liked Alibaug beach not the one which is visited by everyone but there is one beach there which is almost deserted and water there is very clear and blue...

I truly miss walking down Mumbai's Marine Drive along the sea on a monsoon day...

Cheers,

Oh yes I have been to Diu and loved tht place. It reminds me so much of Goa, but less populated and less trashed by the tourists. It was some 5 years back when I went there on my vacation to Gir Forest and then to Diu. I still remember the old church close to the beach and the ancient ruins which is fairly well kept. We had stayed on a beach resort and it was a such pleasant and relaxing stay there!

I have never been to Saurashtra line sad.gif though sad.gif

N :|
Chitralekha
QUOTE (vivekpm @ Mar 16 2004, 08:22 PM)

Cheers,

Hey Vivek, isnt that Chorwad beach? I thought Chorwad was the worst one in all Gujarat beaches.

Nope, never been to Diu but I really want to visit there and also Daman. I heard there's lot of shopping places in both cities. biggrin.gif

Speaking of beaches in Saurashtra I've been to Veraval and Haathab (near Bhavnagar). Haathab was nice and you can walk into the sea when it is lowtide for like a few kms. Veraval being a fishing place stinked badly for miles. Not been to Dwarka yet. Wish to go there someday. I heard nearby from there the actual city of Dwarka lies under water. Wondering if they take tourists in boat to the spot... !
Lata
QUOTE (Chitralekha @ Mar 17 2004, 10:39 PM)
I heard nearby from there the actual city of Dwarka lies under water. Wondering if they take tourists in boat to the spot... !

Nope, I dont think so Chitra. Atleast twleve years ago they dint take to the actual city of Dwarka which is under water. Dwarka is a nice village IMO. If people like bhajans and aarti to wake them up early in the morning, then this is the place. So peaceful. Just like the sets in the Hindi films. From actual dwarka a ferry takes u to Bhet Dwarka. This, it seems is the place where Lord Krishna resided. On way to Dwarka we had stopped in a small village called Limbdi. Actually the windscreen of our car had broken and we had to get it fixed. We got a chance to see a typical village house and talk to the locals as well. The lady of the house also cooked us a meal. So yummy I tell u. Ungaliyan chaati reh gayi main to. That was an unforgetable experience. smile.gif I have yet to come across such loving and simple people.
Lata
QUOTE (vivekpm @ Mar 17 2004, 09:52 AM)

Being a Bambaiya myself, I can understand what u feel Vivek. Walking along the Marine drive during the monsoon is an experience in itself. I remember one rainy season when we friends decided to walk from Santacruz to Andheri. It was raining cats and dogs. We walked all the way singing hindi songs. Woh bhi kya din the........U know, inspite of being born and brought up in Bombay I have never visited Alibaugh. Shud plan a trip on my next visit to Mumbai. smile.gif
Lata
Nimiiji, Day 5 of Andamans please post keejiye smile.gif
Nimii
Sorry Lata I was bit under the weather sad.gif

Back to normalcy smile.gif

DAY 5 10th OCTOBER 2002 - ROSS ISLAND - MT. HARRIET - WATER SPORTS

A clear sky and a great weather despite the downpour the previous night, started off our day with cheer and mood of gaiety.

We drove down to the port again to get to Ross Island. Ross Island is about 1/2 hr by the boat and is clearly visible from Port Blair (esp., near the Cellular Jail).

Ross Island was earlier the capital of Andamans. When the British landed there, they were on the lookout for a place that could provide them water supply. Ross Island was a great source of water as wherever they bored, water sprung out! What remains of the Island are the ruins of the old settlement. The buildings have almost collapsed with just the walls standing erect and over the past 50 years peepal trees have grown over them.

There were building remains of a mineral water plant, a printing press, a church and several other buildings where the officers lived. A swimming pool was along the side of the western part of the island. The island is a very small one and one can walk around it. The Indian navy has still occupied a corner of the island which is closed for the public access. If you remember I had mentioned that Andamans was occupied by the Japanese army for 3 years and on this island we found many Japanese bunkers. We went through one and it was a very intriguing experience. We moved ahead and clamboured down the stairs that lead to a dark tunnel. The tunnel moves on to find 2 side small rooms where probably the Japanese stocked their ammunition and food, when they used to stay there alert to keep a watch. The tunnel then moves on to come out by the side of a rather rugged terrain and one has to hang on to the rocks to get out.

There is a museum and a cafetaria in the entrance of the Ross Island. It was a great educating trip to the island. Fortunately, the guide who showed us the place was thorough with the history and was able to pinpoint the details of every place and when questioned was able to answer it all.

He said he had spent quite a time in the Public library reading all the literature about Ross Island. I picked a small brochure kind of book released by the Navy which gives a nice detail about the island.

By lunch time we were back in Peerless (which had literally turned into a second home for us tongue.gif). Salaam our driver told us that we should be ready by 4 p.m. to go to Mount Harriet.

Evening - MOUNT HARRIET

The highest peak in the South Andamans towering at 365 metres above sea level, Mt. Harriet was the summer headquarters of the Chief Commissioner during the colonial rule.

The road to Mt.Harriet is about 1 and 1/2 but if you take the ferry across it takes you just 15 minutes to get there, after which there is another 1/2hr drive up the mountain. The climb was not a very steep one and was more or less like going up the western ghats of Karnataka. The flora was nearly the same except for the bamboos which are found growing wildly on the ghats. I was hoping to meet at least one tribe on my way up wink.gif but of no avail sad.gif(

We reached the top and lo! There was the beautiful park with a guest house. There was a view point from where we could see the rest of valley below and the sea on the yonder. The view point was a wooden platform with a roof and it was great standing on it and to look around. There was a tree house on the path that kids would love sitting up there and playing. The guest house was clean and had a well-built bedroom. Not bad to stay for the weekend wink.gif mebbe the next time I go over to Andamans.

We spend about an hour there watching the surroundings over a cup of tea smile.gif
It was almost 5-ish when we left the place. Salaam bhai decided that we must all enjoy the water sports down in Port Blair. So off we went there on our return to Peerless. We engaged a speed boat (100 per head not bad i say!) and we took a couple of rounds. The speed boat took us upto Ross Island and the place looked so different from what we saw when we were on it in the morning! Hmm interesting view indeed!

It was almost 7 when we were through with all the speeding wink.gif and returned to Peerless for our last nite at Andamans sad.gif Had a hearty meal and burped and hit the sack early to get the morning flight at 8.30 back to CHENNAI smile.gif)

That?s all about our trip to Andamans...

Regards,
N

Lata
Nimii,

Njoyed reading it. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us smile.gif
Nimii
QUOTE (Lata @ Mar 23 2004, 03:56 PM)
Nimii,

Njoyed reading it. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us smile.gif

Definitely Lata smile.gif

I hope I can make it to Egypt.. the trip calculates to a lot of money sad.gif ... so I am wondering if it will fit my pocket!

If not Egypt I am thinking of going to Sikkim (it will be cooler than where I stay wink.gif *sour grapes* hehehehe)

I will be back with more wonder stories smile.gif

I must write my experience of my trip to Kumaon Hills - Nainital Dist. UP! IT was probably the best 20th birthday I have had wink.gif seeing the peaks of Annapurna ! smile.gif

N smile.gif
Lata
QUOTE (Nimii @ Mar 24 2004, 08:24 AM)

If not Egypt I am thinking of going to Sikkim (it will be cooler than where I stay wink.gif *sour grapes* hehehehe)

I must write my experience of my trip to Kumaon Hills - Nainital Dist. UP! IT was probably the best 20th birthday I have had wink.gif seeing the peaks of Annapurna ! smile.gif

N smile.gif

I wud vote for Sikkim wink.gif I have been longing to go to that place so jab tak chance na mile tumhari travelogue se virtual tour kar loongi wink.gif

Definitely waiting to hear about ur Nainital trip.

Speaking of trips out of India, I wud definitely recommend Ireland. It is the most beautiful country I have visited so far. I also liked Salzburg, Austria. We dint visit the commercial cities, instead we chose to go on a date with Mother Nature. I shall post some pictures for u smile.gif
Nimii
QUOTE (Lata @ Mar 24 2004, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Nimii @ Mar 24 2004, 08:24 AM)

N smile.gif

I wud vote for Sikkim wink.gif I have been longing to go to that place so jab tak chance na mile tumhari travelogue se virtual tour kar loongi wink.gif

Definitely waiting to hear about ur Nainital trip.

Speaking of trips out of India, I wud definitely recommend Ireland. It is the most beautiful country I have visited so far. I also liked Salzburg, Austria. We dint visit the commercial cities, instead we chose to go on a date with Mother Nature. I shall post some pictures for u smile.gif

First and foremost I am so happy to find a friend on the net who shares the burning passion of seeing places as I do ! Wonderful Lata smile.gif

Yes Sikkim is the best bet!!!!!!!!!!!! A good 6 days should suffice to enjoy the weather and the serene surroundings.. Ah!!!!!!!!!! I long to go there rightaway..

Austria - Salzburg!! that reminds me of Sound of Music!!!!!!!!!!!! Juz last afternoon I was playing the dvd of that movie smile.gif

Ireland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes.. I have friends living there and they have been nagging me to visit them sad.gif Last year I was actually planning to stop over in UK and then move to the US for the visit to the east coast sad.gif but due to shortage of time I went direct to US. Phew! it was such a whirlwind kinda trip.

Oh yes I will post my Jilling estate trip (thatz in Kumaon Hills - Nainital Dist.) tomorrow smile.gif

N smile.gif
Lata
QUOTE (Nimii @ Mar 24 2004, 09:52 PM)
First and foremost I am so happy to find a friend on the net who shares the burning passion of seeing places as I do ! Wonderful Lata smile.gif

Austria - Salzburg!! that reminds me of Sound of Music!!!!!!!!!!!! Juz last afternoon I was playing the dvd of that movie smile.gif

Likewise Nimii smile.gif I got this passion from my parents. Thanks to them, I got the chance to see many beautiful places in India. I was also lucky to get a chance to vist Kashmir before the fights.

My wish list is endless......Tibet, Hawaii, Alaska, Scandinavian countries r just to name a few. I also want to do something adventurous like Hot air ballooning above the Grand Canyon, White water rafting on the Colorado and trek the GC [ well, atleast oneway ] wink.gif My hubby, got a chance to experience the spectacular free fall which lasted for 30 secs from a height of 9000 ft. It was an amazing experience he told me. smile.gif

Sound of Music remains to be my all time fav film. Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews made an excellent pair. wub.gif Yes, some scenes from this film were shot in Salzburg [ Mozart square and Mirabel gardens ], but most of it was shot in Vienna and USA I believe. I also enjoyed watching the special feature on the actual Maria and Von Trapp family.

Shall upload some pictures of Holland, Salzburg and Ireland in a day or two. smile.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE (Chitralekha @ Mar 17 2004, 10:39 PM)
Hey Vivek, isnt that Chorwad beach? I thought Chorwad was the worst one in all Gujarat beaches.

Nope, never been to Diu but I really want to visit there and also Daman. I heard there's lot of shopping places in both cities. biggrin.gif

Speaking of beaches in Saurashtra I've been to Veraval and Haathab (near Bhavnagar). Haathab was nice and you can walk into the sea when it is lowtide for like a few kms. Veraval being a fishing place stinked badly for miles. Not been to Dwarka yet. Wish to go there someday. I heard nearby from there the actual city of Dwarka lies under water. Wondering if they take tourists in boat to the spot... !

Hi Chitralekha,

A delayed response to your post. Was out of action for few days. Never been to Chorwad beach. Yes I too have visited Veraval beach and certainly it stinks a lot but then it is largest fishing port of India!!!! Actually, I had a chance to visit the entire plant where all these activities are conducted as my uncle is with Govt of Guj there. I almost vomitted there... place stinks like hell. Also, it was not a great site for a vegeterian like me to see...

Diu is surely shoppers paradise. There is some weekend market funda there wherein you get good bargains sometimes. I visited Diu longggggg back.

Dwarka is on my list for my next visit to Saurashtra...Some of these places in Gujarat are truly worth visiting and can be promoted as major tourist attractions. Had been to Girnar few years back and it was great at the top.

Signing off with Nostalgia smile.gif,
vivekpm
QUOTE (Lata @ Mar 18 2004, 04:15 AM)
QUOTE (vivekpm @ Mar 17 2004, 09:52 AM)

Being a Bambaiya myself, I can understand what u feel Vivek. Walking along the Marine drive during the monsoon is an experience in itself. I remember one rainy season when we friends decided to walk from Santacruz to Andheri. It was raining cats and dogs. We walked all the way singing hindi songs. Woh bhi kya din the........U know, inspite of being born and brought up in Bombay I have never visited Alibaugh. Shud plan a trip on my next visit to Mumbai. smile.gif

Ahhh...the monsoon in mumbai is truly wonderful. BTW, last week I was in Mumbai before shifting to b'lore and visited Marine drive 3 times in one week smile.gif . Every time I visit that place it seems even more great and they are starting a beautification drive there and good news is that work is already started smile.gif .

One of my friend from Madurai was visiting mumbai and was cribbing about local trains and crowds. But Marine Drive helped me to convince him that Mumbai is truly amazing. He was spellbound with the beauty of Marine Drive. Will try and upload some snaps that we took sometime next week.

Cheers,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.