Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Mighty Bangladeshis
Hamara Forums > General > Sports
Anil4

The toppling of the greatest giant of all

The Wisden Verdict by Andrew Miller

June 18, 2005

"The bigger they come the harder they fall" is a cliché that has been doing the rounds since the days of a certain shepherd-boy and his slingshot, but never in the history of international cricket has there been a greater giant-slaying act than the one just witnessed at Sophia Gardens.

The magnitude of the heist that Bangladesh have just pulled off simply beggars belief. If they fail to score another run or take another wicket on the entire tour, it will not matter one iota. They have achieved more in a single game than they could ever have hoped to achieve in the entire competition, and in doing so, they have secured the respect of the international cricket world. Respect. It's all the nation has ever been looking for. Today they achieved that aim in spades. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of their lives.

clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif clap1.gif bow.gif
humble_rafi
MY HEARTIEST CONGRATULATIONS TO BANGLADESHI TEAM clap1.gif

abhi to aagaaz hai anjaam abhi baaqi hai thumbs-up.gif
suhana_safar
I have always maintained that Australia is the best cricketing side in the world simply because they are most consistent.

A defeat here or there will not change it much from its curent position. They were never invincible, no team is but as I said certainly the most professional and consistent outfit.

The Banglasdeh win is good for the game but we need more of that. England now has the best possible chance to shake the Aussies further.

If teams can beat Australia on a more consistent basis then and only then will their supremacy reside otherwise a loss in a 50 games is not a great deal.

Its up to other teams to pressurise the Aussies further and make them sweat for each victory rather than giving the games on a golden platter as most teams have being doing in last 8 -10 years.
Akhtar
I expect Australia to thoroughly crush the Poms today.
vivekpm
With Aus loosing 3 out of 3 matches in this tour and England looking in good shape, this should be a competitive Ashes after a long long time...

Though don't expect England to win Ashes, they can make Aussies sweat this time...

Cheers,
Mandrake
The betting was 100-1 in Australia's favour. And still they lost.
Yet, nobody even whispers 'match-fixing'.
Because it is Australia????
The country that forgave MArk Waugh and Shane Warne for taking money from the bookies?
I wonder what would be the reaction if this result involved a non-white country. At least some voices would certainly be raised.
The same Bangladeshis beat Pakistan a few years back and there was a ROW!

Admin, pls don't black-list me for this tongue.gif wink2.gif
Akhtar
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jun 19 2005, 11:42 AM)
The country that forgave MArk Waugh and Shane Warne for taking money from the bookies?
I wonder what would be the reaction if this result involved a non-white country. At least some voices would certainly be raised.

Admin, pls don't black-list me for this  tongue.gif  wink2.gif

Very true.
AzgarKhan
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jun 19 2005, 04:12 PM)

Nice one bro smile1.gif
vivekpm
England defeats Australia. So that makes it 4 defeats out of 4 outings on this tour for Aussies... Hmmm... Interesting.

Here is the match bulletin. Harmison took 5 wickets and Pietersen scored match-winning 65-ball 91 runs.

http://content.cricinfo.com/natwestseries/...ory/211433.html

Cheers,
Anil4
Vivek

I sat up whole night to watch the match on TV. What a stunning catch by Collingwood.

England now have their own "Afridi" and what a blaster this guy Pietersen is.

Looking forward to a great Ashes series!

Akhtar miya kya hua aap ka prediction ka?

Anil
Akhtar
QUOTE(Bhirgu @ Jun 20 2005, 06:54 AM)
Vivek

I sat up whole night to watch the match on TV. What a stunning catch by Collingwood.

England now have their own "Afridi" and what a blaster  this guy Pietersen is.

Looking forward to a great Ashes series!

Akhtar miya kya hua aap ka prediction ka?

Anil

Whats happening to the Aussies ! Pietersen once again looking brilliant, impressing everyone. Yet still can't get a place in the test squad.
suhana_safar
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jun 19 2005, 04:12 PM)

VERY INTERESTING OBSERVATION. WHY SHOULD THE ADMIN BLACK LIST YOU FOR THIS?
unni
Just yesterday, Hindustan Times on-line featured some 22 (?) 'fixed' matches. The Bangla Desh/Pakistan match is one among them. That match was "investigated" by the cricketing authorities. Is this one going to be?

The site may still be on-line.
unni
QUOTE(suhana_safar @ Jun 19 2005, 02:33 AM)
I have always maintained that Australia is the best cricketing side in the world simply because they are most consistent.

A defeat here or there will not change it much from its curent position. They were never invincible, no team is but as I said certainly the most professional and consistent outfit.

The Banglasdeh win is good for the game but we need more of that. England now has the best possible chance to shake the Aussies further.

If teams can beat Australia on a more consistent basis then and only then will their supremacy reside otherwise a loss in a 50 games is not a great deal.

Its up to other teams to pressurise the Aussies further and make them sweat for each victory rather than giving the games on a golden platter as most teams have being doing in last 8 -10 years.

Couldn't agree with you more! Great for Bangla Desh and congrats to them. But, on a given day, the result of a sporting engagement can go against ranking and form and reputation. India and Pakistan, perhaps even West Indies, have lost to Bangla Desh in a one-off match. In the last World Cup, India had a bad outing against Holland and was in dire straits against Kenya before they managed to bail out.

Even Wisden seems to have gone overboard in its assessment. Almost envious of the majestic march of the Aussies and wishing to bring them down a peg or two! tongue.gif
gkshyam
Well.....I do agree that just a one-off loss (or "LOSSES" in this case.... wink2.gif) may not mean that a team is bad..or that they will lose out on rankings...and earn a poor team's tag.....Nothing of that Sort...the Aussies are still the best team as far their Players' cricketing skills..their Bench strength....Their Winning Consistency.....and all the Statistics are concerned..........But I personally feel that one must wholeheartedly Applaud Bangladesh's efforts in bringing out that miraculous...historic win over the World Champions.....the so-called 'Invincibles'.....the AUSSIES.....One has to agree that Bangladesh was a better team.....and beat the Aussies in all departments of the game on Saturday........I'm being very honest with this opinion of mine.....

From the minute the match started.....nothing seemed to go the Aussie's way......they WON the toss and elected to bat....And then.....the Bangla bowlers and fielders looked like they were making a mockery of the famed Aussie batting line up.....I vivdly recollect that the score hadn't even reached 30 at the end of the 12th over.....and had also lost crucial wickets..........Well......to hell with all that.....Later......even their famed bowling and fielding attack couldn't stop the Bangladeshis from sculpting that famous win.....They couldn't stop Ashraful from scripting that well-deserved century.....They couldn't defend a 220 plus Total ....I'm only too sure that the Aussies were over-confident of defending that total.....Not even in their dreams had they given their opposition a chance to win it from their hands......And when...towards the end....the Writing was getting more and more clear on the wall.....they were overcome by a sense of SHOCK...and DISBELIEF........you could see it on every Aussie player's face......Then they became desperate ALL OF A SUDDEN......to put the brakes on the Bangladeshis.......which is so clearly evident....from the last two balls of the second last over...that were bowled at Mohammad Rafique....Bowled by a Bowler ..who is considered the best bowler in cricket today.....A Bowler....who is Respected Worldwide in his skills to manufacture DOT BALLS in ANY & EVERY Situation......and against ANY & EVERY Opposition/Batsman....just by maintaining an impeccable line and length......

The implementation of SUCH A TACTIC...showed that the Aussies had lost confidence in their ABILITIES to stop the runs.. headbang.gif ...and they had to resort to such stuff.....OUT OF FEAR......to bowl 2 DOT BALLS!!!!! My GOD!!!! That was a SHOCKER!!! huh.gif blink.gif abuse.gif ohmy.gif

Well.....O Well......and then....Inspite of all such DESPERATE measures from the Mighty Aussies.....BANGLADESH Romped home to Victory...with 5 WICKETS IN HAND AND 4 BALLS TO SPARE!!!!! HEHEHAHAHOHO.....JOKE OF THE MILLENIUM!! smile1.gif poseur.gif wink2.gif

I feel that one must not take away credit from the Bangla team.and its players....by raising questions on match-fixing and stuff........Well, I dunno.....the match may have very well been fixed......I'm not saying the Aussies aren't capable of doing something so wrong....they can very well do it......But raising such points only takes away the credit from the team that FULLY DESERVED the victory from the very first ball..... gift.gif thumbs-up.gif smile1.gif WELL DONE BANGLADESH!!!! YOU HAVE JUST CREATED HISTORY!!! smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif bow.gif
Akhtar
QUOTE(unni @ Jun 20 2005, 07:31 AM)
Just yesterday, Hindustan Times on-line featured some 22 (?) 'fixed' matches.  The Bangla Desh/Pakistan match is one among them. That match was "investigated" by the cricketing authorities. Is this one going to be?

The site may still be on-line.

I feel that was blatantly fixed. I feel the same about the WC99 final.
princeali
I also agree with Akhtar bhai, the 99 world cup final looked fixed, it was very shocking to see Pakistan just sink like that on a wonderful batting track.

Hats off to Bangladesh for beating the mighty Australians, they deserved to win on that day, they played better. I think Australia is just going through a lean patch, they should come back strongly.

England's one-day squad has improved in that last few years and now they are a nice and balanced side. The addition of Pietersen down the order will help them alot. They now have the side that can disturb the best teams in the world and one should watch out for them in the next world cup.
sharpguy
just 2 consecutive defeats, including one against B'desh... (which might be fix) how can jus two game turns all the statistics up side down...???
I was reading this on indiatimes.. I mean... Aussie's lost to B'desh .. how come India came in between ... I found it ridiculous.. though I liked reading it...and wish it come true...
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/quickies/1147448.cms

I mean.. I still feel Ausssies are great side, I wish they go down but it will atleast take few more matches.. and what if...by the end of this year they keep loosing.. wink2.gif .. how would that sound????

What you guys say about Sachin, will he be in for Another world cup??? I'm constanyly watching Chappel's comments and moves.. any comments ??
gkshyam
I agree with what Akhtar, PrinceAli and Sharpguy have to say...There's quite a possibilty of the matches in 99 WC being fixed.....But definitely Hats Off to Bangladesh for pulling out that one on Saturday!!! I am extremely happy for them....Honestly.....I feel they fully deserved their win....They were undoubtedly the better team in all depts. that day....

And well......my take on Sachin....He's definitely in for more......atleast you can be sure of seeing him in WC 2007..... smile1.gifbow.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE(sharpguy @ Jun 20 2005, 11:24 PM)

What you guys say about Sachin, will he be in for Another world cup??? I'm constanyly watching Chappel's comments and moves..  any comments ??

Sachin ( bow.gif ) will be back with a bang... I just cannot think of Indian team for WC 2007 without him. His best is probably yet to come.

Cheers,
gkshyam
You Bet Vivek.......You have a supporter in me wink2.gif Sachin's definitely gonna make an amazing comeback......One really can't imagine the Indian team without him smile1.gif Irrespective of the opposition...or his form.....He just has to be there.......I'm sure this is gonna be the case....even when grows up to be 40.... smile1.gif There's still so much of cricket left in him......He's not one who's gonna leave so early.....The Cricket world deserves a longer innings from this Master!!! smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif
vivekpm
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 21 2005, 12:38 AM)
You Bet Vivek.......You have a supporter in me wink2.gif Sachin's definitely gonna make an amazing comeback......One really can't imagine the Indian team without him smile1.gif Irrespective of the opposition...or his form.....He just has to be there.......I'm sure this is gonna be the case....even when grows up to be 40.... smile1.gif There's still so much of cricket left in him......He's not one who's gonna leave so early.....The Cricket world deserves a longer innings from this Master!!! smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif

Amen...

And if his operation turns out to be highly sucessful we may even see him in 2011 WC smile1.gif

Cheers,
sharpguy
I hope same too, all depends on operation.
I was just bit worried after reading this article. Have you read it?
Prediction abt Sachin's career from a Pak Astrolger.

http://thatscricket.indiainfo.com/news/200...0106sachin.html

vivekpm
QUOTE(sharpguy @ Jun 21 2005, 01:38 AM)
I hope same too, all depends on operation.
I was just bit worried after reading this article. Have you read it?
Prediction abt Sachin's career from a Pak Astrolger.

http://thatscricket.indiainfo.com/news/200...0106sachin.html

Yeah had read this. But as always I wish Sachin proves such predictions wrong...

Cheers,
gkshyam
Well said Vivek Bhai........I pray Sachin proves all those predictions wrong...He's born to serve Cricket for a much longer duration......and create and break more records than what he has now.......I hope to see him in 2011 as well..... wink2.gif Might even go on to break Javed Miandad's record of most WC appearances (6) wink2.gif.......
gkshyam
Hope you guys are watching the match between England and Bangladesh that is on right now........Check out this guy Ashraful man!!!!! He's taking the English attack to the cleaners.. bow.gif ..Got to his fifty with a Six....Hit the World's 8th fastest Fifty.....in 21 balls......(Faster than the Fastest Indian fifty...) He's now on 94... bow.gif ..still rubbishing all the bowlers he's facing......Plssss Plsssss watch him in action.... bow.gif .... smile.gif

Bangladesh are chasing 392...definitely a herculian task......but I still give them a chance.....for two reasons......One......they beat the Aussies the other day.....and TWO......Mohd. Ashraful is still blazing out there....... thumbs-up.gif God Bless!!!!!! smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif
fiftysomeone
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jun 22 2005, 12:56 AM)
b]Check out this guy Ashraful man!!!!! He's taking the English attack to the cleaners..
He's now on 94... bow.gif ..still rubbishing all the bowlers he's facing......Plssss Plsssss watch him in action.... bow.gif .... smile.gif

Bangladesh are chasing 392...definitely a herculian task......but I still give them a chance.....for two reasons......One......they beat the Aussies the other day.....and TWO......Mohd. Ashraful is still blazing out there....... thumbs-up.gif God Bless!!!!!! smile1.gifsmile1.gifsmile1.gif[/b]

Well he seemed to have got jinxed by the attention since he got out at the same score (94)!
A score of 223 chasing 392 isn't really all that great in the end, however they may have dazzled in parts. And letting a team score close to 400, notwithstanding Collingwood's brilliance, means that there's still lots to think about.
Cheers.

gkshyam
Yes 50-50.......what a coincidence.....The minute I put that post up...and shut down......He got out......(Ashraful)......He definitely deserved his century....more than anybody else in the world... smile1.gif...that was really unlucky..... sad1.gif

Yes, I agree....letting a team close to 400.....and all that isn't a great sign for a team. But I still feel Bangladesh atleast gave it a fight....no other team in recent times...has looked to chase SUCH A HIGH total in such a positive manner.....I hadn't even thought inmy dreams...that after conceeding 391.....they gonna try for that total.......But the minute Ashraful came on crease......THAT WAS IT!!!! He started spelling TERROR for ALL the English bowlers.....hitting them for 4s and 6s all over the park.....Taking the ATTACK to the opposition.....You really need Guts for that man.......and this guy was Positivity Personified.....and wasn't gonna go down...without putting up a decent fight......That was What I really liked about his approach...... bow.gif

Other teams.....(Like India)...can definitely learn a lot from watching this innings of his.....Many a time....they surrender meekly without even putting up a fight....and sometimes.....even go on to Give the games that they are comfortably winning......to the opposition on a platter.....Definitely Lots to learn....... thumbs-up.gif smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.