Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geeta's Music Director Brothers
Hamara Forums > Legends > Geeta Dutt
mahesh
hello friends ,
geeta's two brother gave some lovely music for hindi films.
here is a list of the films in which they gave music-

mukul roy-
1]-bhed[1950],
2]-do bahadur[1953],
3]-sailaab[1956],
4]-detective[1958],

kanu roy-
1]-uski kahani[1966],
2]-anubhav[1971],
3]-aavishkaar[1973],
4]-tumhara kallo,
5]-grih pravesh[1979],
6]-sparsh[1980],

geeta's brother looked after her and the kids after guru dutt's death.tarun ,arun and neena were brought up by their maternal uncle's after geetaji's sad death in 1972.

did the brother's give music in any bengali films?

regards,
mahesh
bchatterjee
I think nina was maybe later brought up by Atmaram...

Also while talking to her brother, I did not want to bring up her sad personal life....I remember he only knew about Badhu Baran as the film in which she acted, in fact his wife also spoke to me....
They live in Kansas, USA.
Bappa
bchatterjee
Geeta Dutt's melodic songs are mostly in slow waltz. The foremost is of Sudhirlal Chakraborty's music on Pabitra Mitra's words, "Brindabone Shyam Nai" ca. 1952. She hits the low notes in a superb manner which is rather unheard of from Indian singers. Passages dominated by minor keys are sung with full richness. Later, ca. 1960, Binod Chatterjees music on Pulak Bannerjee's lyric "Hridoy Amar Kichhu Jodi Bole" exposed a darker side of emotion.

Geeta Dutt is a singer of modern songs in the true sense of the word modern. Without Rabindra sangeet, Nazrul Geety, Atul Prasadi, and without much of Salil Choudhury, she has been able to make an everlasting impression. She is truly immortal.

From her brother's friend....
mahesh
hi bappa,
most of the interviews by geetaji's kids give the impression that they were brought up by their matenal uncles while their paternal side ignored them and did not share the responsibility.
neena is married to mahmood's nephew.mahmood did a small role in pyasa [of guru dutt's brother] ,while mahmood's sister had some wonderful guru dutt song's picturised on her[boojh mera kya naam re,dil ki kahani rang layi hai ,sakiya..aaj ki raat mujhe neend naheen aayegi].
any idea whether the brother's gave music in bengali films?
regards,
mahesh
mahesh
hi bappa,
do you know the name of all geeta siblings.i only know about mukul and kanu.i am doubtful about the sisters names-lakshmi?,rohini.

i believe they were total of nine siblings and one of the sisters was married to the film director pramod chakravarti.
regards,
mahesh
bchatterjee
QUOTE(mahesh @ May 23 2005, 10:22 PM)
hi bappa,
do you know the name of all geeta siblings.i only know about mukul and kanu.i am doubtful about the sisters names-lakshmi?,rohini.

i believe they were total of nine siblings and one of the sisters was married to the film director pramod chakravarti.
regards,
mahesh

You are right about pramod Chakravarti.

I was so mesmerized about talking to Geeta di'd brother and sister-in-law that I can't even remember his name now!! This was in 1997 ish....then I also lost contact with the person who introduced us...My callousness!!:((

I will tell you another story similar to this. Two of my mother's friends have connections with Hemanta Mukherjee. One Krishna Ghoshal is his neice (elder brother's daughter) and another a friend of Bela Mukherjee.
Anyway, Krishna Auntie came several time to our house in Calcutta (my mother knows her since 1968), and every time I used to summon enough courage to ask about her uncle, but when she came, I would withdraw in my shell....Now I hear that she is not in good terms with Moushumi Chatterjee (Hemant Kumar's daughter-in-law) regarding property disputes after the death of Hemant Kumar. So that opportunity is gone.

This was 1987ish....
One day I was standing outside our locality's homeopathy clinic and talking to three/four middle aged ladies. They were asking me several questions about my school (Don Bosco) and what my future plans are etc. etc. I was getting a little embarrased and just wanted to be left alone. Soon two of the ladies left and the other lady asked me whether I knew who I was speaking to. I said no...She said, "that is my maternal aunt Bela Mukherjee." Another missed opportunity.
I could never summon up the courage to visit her again with my mother's other friend!!!!!

I also remember a friend of my father's (my father died in 1984) used to visit us often and spend a lot of time with us. My mother was not particularly happy with this gentleman coming day and night....After my father's death we totally lost contact with this guy. Later on I learned that he was Cameraman of Bimal Roy!!!

O I wish I could go back in time and be more outgoing with these people....

Sadly-
Bappa
MISED OPPORTUNITIES.
alybaba
QUOTE(mahesh @ May 23 2005, 08:49 PM)
hello friends ,

mukul roy-
1]-bhed[1950],
2]-do bahadur[1953],
3]-sailaab[1956],
4]-detective[1958],

kanu roy-
1]-uski kahani[1966],
2]-anubhav[1971],
3]-aavishkaar[1973],
4]-tumhara kallo,
5]-grih pravesh[1979],
6]-sparsh[1980],

Kanu Roy also gave music in SHYAMLA(1979)/WOH PHIR NAHIIN AAYI(RE-RELEASED IN 1981)
Aly
PradeepS
Whoa! Dint know that. Thanks.
parag_sankla
Reviving this nice thread giving some good information about Geeta ji and her musical family ( brothers as music directors)

Regards
Parag
parag_sankla
Kind request to Mahesh or any one who has interacted with Bappa

Can we please have some more information about the following:
1) Info about Geeta ji's sisters and brothers
2) It is clarified that Kanu Roy is not her brother. Did Geeta ji sing any songs for Mukul Roy's film Do Bahadur (1953)?
3) Did she sing any songs in Bengali for Mukul Roy
4) Any other anecdotes about Geeta ji and her children

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Parag

parag_sankla

2) It is clarified that Kanu Roy is not her brother. Did Geeta ji sing any songs for Mukul Roy's film Do Bahadur (1953)?

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Parag

P.S. As per Haimanti Banerjee (author of the book on Geeta ji), Kanu Roy was indeed brother of Geeta ji.

Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Dec 29 2008, 09:55 PM) *

Thanks in advance

Best Regards
Parag

P.S. As per Haimanti Banerjee (author of the book on Geeta ji), Kanu Roy was indeed brother of Geeta ji.

Wikipaedia also mentions Kanu Roy as her brother!

smahesh
no erumji,
it is confirmed that kanu roy was not her brother.
wikepedia is written by people like us only,so there can be mistakes.

regards,
mahesh.
smahesh
QUOTE(mahesh @ May 23 2005, 08:49 PM) *

hello friends ,

mukul roy-
1]-bhed[1950],
2]-do bahadur[1953],
3]-sailaab[1956],
4]-detective[1958],

kanu roy-
1]-uski kahani[1966],
2]-anubhav[1971],
3]-aavishkaar[1973],
4]-tumhara kallo,
5]-grih pravesh[1979],
6]-sparsh[1980],

geeta's brother looked after her and the kids after guru dutt's death.tarun ,arun and neena were brought up by their maternal uncle's after geetaji's sad death in 1972.

did the brother's give music in any bengali films?

regards,
mahesh

mukul roy gave music for gujrati film vidhata[1956] and composed music for some bengali non-film songs too.

regards,
mahesh
parag_sankla
Mahesh, I am going through the book "Geeta Dutt - The Skylark" and nowhere in the book it is mentioned that Kanu Roy is a brother of Geeta ji. Anyways, I am going to call Haimanti ji today, I will check this with her that time.

The book is SUPERB and truly reflects how popular and famous Geeta ji was in the late forties and fifties. The amount of research and study done by the author on Geeta ji is almost un-parallel.

Regards
Parag

parag_sankla
100% confirmed by Haimanti ji that Kanu Roy is not at all related to Geeta ji. Mukul Roy is the only brother of hers who has composed music for films. She has got this confirmed from Mukul Roy himself.

Regards
Parag

parag_sankla
QUOTE(bchatterjee @ May 23 2005, 08:34 AM) *

I think nina was maybe later brought up by Atmaram...

Also while talking to her brother, I did not want to bring up her sad personal life....I remember he only knew about Badhu Baran as the film in which she acted, in fact his wife also spoke to me....
They live in Kansas, USA.
Bappa

Hope some one has some contact information about Milan Roy Choudhury ji (whom Bappa was referring to in the above post).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.