Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shair Aur Sargam
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Oct 27 2013, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Oct 26 2013, 01:44 PM) *

(Majrooh) Paisa Hi Paisa (1956)

This album consists of 15 songs. I am uploading 13 of them here. Two missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these songs if they can. Thank you.

Unfortunately some of the songs I am uploading here are of only fair quality. Most of this problem stems from hissing noise. I tried to eliminate as much as possible but still the noise remains.

I am not sure about singer assignments of two of the songs. In the song “Sone Ka Laddu” is it Asha or is it Meena Kapoor? Also in the song “Taqdeer Ki Chidiya” is there a third singer? If so, is it Sudha Malhotra? If it is Malhotra, this will be a rarity. The only other song she sang with Kishoreda was the smashing beauty “Aaj Mujhe Kuchh Kehna Hai” in the 1960 film “Girl Friend”. I am requesting our members to help clarify the correctness of the singer assignments for the two songs mentioned. Thank you kindly again.

I am uploading these songs in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set…

according to HFGK the song TAQDEER KI CHIDIYA is sung by MEENA KAPOOR (PROBABLY)
The song SONE KA LADDU is having 2 parts, 1 st part is sung by LATAJI & ASHAJI & KISHOREJI
2nd part is sung by RAFI SAHAB & KISHOREJI (as per HFGK)
taiyab

Thanks for the clarification Taiyab. Cheers. -S

swarapriya
(Shailendra) Shree 420 (1955)

This was another fine offering from the great film craftsman Raj Kapoor. It was a joint collaboration between Raj Kapoor and K.A. Abbas, who were so successful with their previous venture “Awara (1951)”. This movie was a precursor to "Jagte Raho" which came just one year after “420”. Both movies had almost parallel themes. A stranger comes to a new town and loses his way in the big city. In the case of 420, the stranger was an educated man with a simple heart. Soon he finds the urge for making some quick money irresistible and is lured into doing shady work. This was the story of a man caught in conflict between the good conscience stemming from high self-esteem on one side and enticing material aspirations on the other side. In the end his good nature prevails and his true love triumphs.

The movie has some of the most memorable music composed by Shankar & Jaikishan. Each song is a sparkling gem. The song "Mera Joota Hai" was an international phenomenon. One of the most beautifully picturized romantic scene in rain was the song "Pyaar Hua". Young Rishi Kapoor makes a brief appearance in this song. "Ramayya Vastavayya" was another song that was a rage. "Vastavayya" is a Telugu word meaning "will you come?” Shankar, with his Hyderabad background, had songs sprinkled with an occasional Telugu word (for example the song “Naach Re Mann Batkamma” in “Rajkumar (1964)” – “Batkamma” is Telugu word and the “Hum Kaale Hain” from “Gumnaam (1965)”. This song contains the word “Tandaana”, a Telugu word). A newspaper account said that Shankar, a longtime resident of Hyderabad, while driving in the city streets heard some construction workers singing a song and humming this word. He decided to use the word right away in the “Ramayya” song he was composing at that time.

Shailendra also recounts how "Mud Mud Ke" song came about. One fine evening he was taking a stroll in a park in Mumbai with his friends Shankar and Jaikishan. They couldn’t help notice a beautiful woman who happened to come across their path. Jaikishan, still a bachelor, turned back several times to get another glimpse of the woman. This gave inspiration to Shailendra to create the song on the spot. Incidentally, both Shailendra and Jaikishan appear briefly in the film. Jaikishan was in two scenes as a boyfriend of Nadira. He could be seen in the song “Mud Mud Ke” shaking hand with Raj.

Interestingly, even though Mukesh was settled by this time as the voice of Raj, Shankar & Jaikishan utilize the talent of Manna Dey in three songs for him for playback. These are absolute delights, the solo “Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwaala”, and the duets “Mud Mud Ke Na Dekh” and “Pyaar Hua Ikraar Hua”. Especially the duet “Pyaar Hua” is a song for the ages. It is one lovely romantic song with some unforgettable music. The vibes from this song leave you with a glowing youthful feeling.

I am uploading these songs, some specials, and several instrumentals of the songs in back-to-back five posts. The first two posts contain songs and some music clips from the film. The third post also contains few specials. The final two posts contain several instrumentals.

A note about the song “Pyaar Hua”. This appears in two versions in the second post. The shorter version is from an original soundtrack album. The second, longer version is from the movie itself. However, this one is not available on any CD I know of or any DVD. It has some extra vocals that are absent from the other two media. Unfortunately the audio of this extra from 2:09 to 2:32 is weak and easily noticeable from rest of the song. Apart from that blemish rest of the song is in good shape.

Here are the details of the songs in the first post and the songs themselves …
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Shree 420 (1955)"...

Here are rest of the songs and some music clips from the film...
swarapriya
Some Specials of "Shree 420 (1955)"...

Here are some specials related to songs from this film...
swarapriya
Instrumentals of the Songs from "Shree 420 (1955)"...

Here are some of the instrumentals of the songs from this fine musical...
swarapriya
More Instrumentals of the Songs from "Shree 420 (1955)"...

Here are some more instrumentals of the songs from this great album...
swarapriya
(Shakeel) Rukhsana (1955)

These are all the songs from this album except for one. I am requesting members to share the missing song shown in red italics in the table below. Thank you.

Now the songs from this album...
swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Badshah (1964)

This Dara Singh-starrer was a black & white movie with all songs and the climax picturized in colour. This was the vogue in 60’s with colour films just becoming popular. Many producers used to shoot songs in colour as during these times availability of colour film was tight and there were too may governmental restrictions on importing colour film. For people like Mehboob Khan (“Aan” in 1952) and Sohrab Modi (“Jhansi ki Rani” in 1953) this was not a problem. These folks had high level political influence (for example Mehboob Khan was a friend of then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru). But B-grade film makers, like this one, for lack of colour film availability were forced to shoot their films only partly in colour.

Of the six songs in this film five were sung by Asha. She had four solos and a duet with Purnima Seth. In 60’s the Qawwali Queen Shakeela Bano Bhoplai used to make frequent appearances in films to sing qawwalis. Even though she can sing for herself, in this film she did not. In the DVD from which I ripped all these songs, it appeared like the qawwali, “Mohabbat Mein Agar Daaman” is not complete. Here is this and other songs from this film…
taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Oct 30 2013, 01:34 PM) *

This Dara Singh-starrer was a black & white movie with all songs and the climax picturized in colour. This was the vogue in 60’s with colour films just becoming popular. Many producers used to shoot songs in colour as during these times availability of colour film was tight and there were too may governmental restrictions on importing colour film. For people like Mehboob Khan (“Aan” in 1952) and Sohrab Modi (“Jhansi ki Rani” in 1953) this was not a problem. These folks had high level political influence (for example Mehboob Khan was a friend of then Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru). But B-grade film makers, like this one, for lack of colour film availability were forced to shoot their films only partly in colour.

Of the six songs in this film five were sung by Asha. She had four solos and a duet with Purnima Seth. In 60’s the Qawwali Queen Shakeela Bano Bhoplai used to make frequent appearances in films to sing qawwalis. Even though she can sing for herself, in this film she did not. In the DVD from which I ripped all these songs, it appeared like the qawwali, “Mohabbat Mein Agar Daaman” is not complete. Here is this and other songs from this film…

thanks swarapriya for BADSHAH . i was missing few songs
i am uploading full version of the song
64-badshah-nigahain aur chahain--mohobbat main -asha & puran seth-n dutta-anand bakshi-192 br-6.13 min
swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Oct 30 2013, 11:29 AM) *

thanks swarapriya for BADSHAH . i was missing few songs
i am uploading full version of the song
64-badshah-nigahain aur chahain--mohobbat main -asha & puran seth-n dutta-anand bakshi-192 br-6.13 min

That is absolutely great. Thank you very very much Taiyab. You did it again. Cheers.

S

swarapriya
(Hasrat) Pooja (1954)

Songs from this album were recently uploaded in this very thread. They are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...4658&st=507

taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 20 2013, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(usrafian @ Sep 19 2013, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 18 2013, 02:24 PM) *

(Anand Bakshi) Jabse Tumhen Dekha Hai (1963)

Here are the songs from this film...

DSP,
Thanks for one more gem!

In the movie, all the songs are by Shailendra Mahan except this only qawwalli by Anand Bakshi Sahab, & it had made him the show stealer lyricist ….. ‘Tumhe Hushn Deke Khuda Ne..’. wub.gif

I also loved his another qawwalli from Kala Samander ‘Meri Tasveer Lekar Kay Karoge’. wub.gif wub.gif

During ‘golden era’, ‘qawwalli’ was a trend in every movie. Gone are the days now sad.gif

During the sixties era, Rafi & Lata had partitioned hence IMO the female singers in this qawwalli are Asha & Suman (not Lata). Pl comment.

BTW, uploading sweet humming by Geeta Bali ‘Ye Din, Din Hain Khushi Ke’, coutesy of HFM..
Click to view attachment

USR

Thanks for the snippet USR. About the qawwali singers. You could be right. I am hoping someone with the KOSH can come forward and clarify this.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
S

Dear Swarapriya & Usrafian
definately very pleasant Qawwali
according to HFGK this qawwali is sung by Mannadewy Rafi Sahab Lataji & asha ji.
if you hear it is sure Lataji,s voice.
althaough HFGK gives one version solo of Mannaday part ??
taiyab
taiyab53
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Nov 1 2013, 04:09 AM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 20 2013, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(usrafian @ Sep 19 2013, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 18 2013, 02:24 PM) *

(Anand Bakshi) Jabse Tumhen Dekha Hai (1963)

Here are the songs from this film...

DSP,
Thanks for one more gem!

In the movie, all the songs are by Shailendra Mahan except this only qawwalli by Anand Bakshi Sahab, & it had made him the show stealer lyricist ….. ‘Tumhe Hushn Deke Khuda Ne..’. wub.gif

I also loved his another qawwalli from Kala Samander ‘Meri Tasveer Lekar Kay Karoge’. wub.gif wub.gif

During ‘golden era’, ‘qawwalli’ was a trend in every movie. Gone are the days now sad.gif

During the sixties era, Rafi & Lata had partitioned hence IMO the female singers in this qawwalli are Asha & Suman (not Lata). Pl comment.

BTW, uploading sweet humming by Geeta Bali ‘Ye Din, Din Hain Khushi Ke’, coutesy of HFM..
Click to view attachment

USR

Thanks for the snippet USR. About the qawwali singers. You could be right. I am hoping someone with the KOSH can come forward and clarify this.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
S

Dear Swarapriya & Usrafian
definately very pleasant Qawwali
according to HFGK this qawwali is sung by Mannadewy Rafi Sahab Lataji & asha ji.
if you hear it is sure Lataji,s voice.
althaough HFGK gives one version solo of Mannaday part ??
taiyab

taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 22 2013, 09:49 PM) *

(Rajinder Krishan) Chacha Chowdhary (1953)

The story of this film revolves around a mentally deranged man who is committed to a lunatic asylum. He escapes the asylum and finds a place in a house with a disarrayed family who mistook him for their rich uncle. In due course, the man who is supposed to be crazy solves everyone’s problems in the household who are driving each other and themselves crazy. A very interesting premise for a story but Raja Paranjape, the actor who played Chacha and directed the film, distracts the main storyline with too many trifle things. In the end, what should have been a gripping drama based on a powerful story, even though has its moments, ends up as just another ordinary and forgettable film.

This is another Madan Mohanji’s album without Lataji’s songs. However Asha does beautifully well in all of her songs. My favorite song of the album is “Jaa Dekhi”.

I have no clue who the singer of the classical raga song “Bahaar Aaye”. I am requesting members to fill in the blanks if they have any information. Here is this and other fine songs from this film…

Dear Swarapriya
According to HFGK DEKHO DEKHO YE GOKUL KA CHOR is not mentioned under CHACHA CHOWDHRY Title.
Can somebody identify this song.
thanks
swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Oct 31 2013, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Sep 22 2013, 09:49 PM) *

(Rajinder Krishan) Chacha Chowdhary (1953)

The story of this film revolves around a mentally deranged man who is committed to a lunatic asylum. He escapes the asylum and finds a place in a house with a disarrayed family who mistook him for their rich uncle. In due course, the man who is supposed to be crazy solves everyone’s problems in the household who are driving each other and themselves crazy. A very interesting premise for a story but Raja Paranjape, the actor who played Chacha and directed the film, distracts the main storyline with too many trifle things. In the end, what should have been a gripping drama based on a powerful story, even though has its moments, ends up as just another ordinary and forgettable film.

This is another Madan Mohanji’s album without Lataji’s songs. However Asha does beautifully well in all of her songs. My favorite song of the album is “Jaa Dekhi”.

I have no clue who the singer of the classical raga song “Bahaar Aaye”. I am requesting members to fill in the blanks if they have any information. Here is this and other fine songs from this film…

Dear Swarapriya
According to HFGK DEKHO DEKHO YE GOKUL KA CHOR is not mentioned under CHACHA CHOWDHRY Title.
Can somebody identify this song.
thanks

My Dear Taiyab,

I am pretty sure this song is taken from this film's DVD. I am not able to verify this at this moment but I believe that I got it from this film's DVD. When I have time I will verify if this is the case or not.

Cheers,
S
swarapriya
(Javed Akhtar) Hafta Bandh (1991)

There is one good song in this otherwise an average album. The song is “Aye Haseena”. It has rich lyrics by Javed Akhtar Saab, fine music by Bappida, and great singing by Kumar Sanu. Here is this and other songs from this album in two back-to-back posts…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Hafta Bandh (1991)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this album including Kumar Sanu's beautiful song "Aye Haseena"...
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Sailaab (1956)

Mukul Roy, the music director of this film and a brother of late Geeta Dutt, was intent on making this film at any cost. Strapped for money, he went to his sister Geetaji seeking help. To help her brother, Geetaji decided to co-produce the film. When Guru Dutt was approached to direct the film, he advised Geetaji against investing on the project. But Guru has to yield and finally agreed to direct the film.

When the film was made and released it was a financial disaster. Geetaji put all her savings into the project. With the money gone and the losses suffered, she declared herself as insolvent.

Only thing that is still remembered about the movie is its music and songs. Apparently there are nine songs in the film with Geetaji singing nine of them. I am uploading eight songs here, six of Geetaji’s. One missing song is shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share this song if they can. I have an extended version of the song “Jiyara” that is 36 seconds longer. These seconds either precede or follow the song and its content is music only. I am not uploading it here.

Here is a rare treat of some excellent songs from this beautiful album…
taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 2 2013, 01:51 PM) *

(Majrooh) Sailaab (1956)

Mukul Roy, the music director of this film and a brother of late Geeta Dutt, was intent on making this film at any cost. Strapped for money, he went to his sister Geetaji seeking help. To help her brother, Geetaji decided to co-produce the film. When Guru Dutt was approached to direct the film, he advised Geetaji against investing on the project. But Guru has to yield and finally agreed to direct the film.

When the film was made and released it was a financial disaster. Geetaji put all her savings into the project. With the money gone and the losses suffered, she declared herself as insolvent.

Only thing that is still remembered about the movie is its music and songs. Apparently there are 11 songs in the film with Geetaji singing nine of them. I am uploading nine songs here, seven of Geetaji’s. Two missing songs are shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these if they can. All songs are of decent quality except for “Chaand Ke Aansoo”. Because of the noise in the song, I am uploading it at a lower bit rate. I have an extended version of the song “Jiyara” that is 36 seconds longer. These seconds either precede or follow the song and its content is music only. I am not uploading it here.

Here is a rare treat of some excellent songs from this beautiful album…

Dear Swarapriya
The song Kisi ke pyaar ki tasveer & CHAND KE AANSOO SHABNAM are same songs.
the song you requested NAHIN DER KARO is not in the list of HFGK, & there are only 9 songs listed.
thanks
taiyab
swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Nov 2 2013, 01:08 AM) *

(Majrooh) Sailaab (1956)

Dear Swarapriya
The song Kisi ke pyaar ki tasveer & CHAND KE AANSOO SHABNAM are same songs.
the song you requested NAHIN DER KARO is not in the list of HFGK, & there are only 9 songs listed.
thanks
taiyab

Thank you very much Dear Taiyab. I made changes to my posting based on your suggestions. Cheers. -S

swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Malkin (1953)

Here are the songs from this album...
taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 3 2013, 01:47 PM) *

Dear Swarapriya
Maalkin contains only 8 songs as per HFGK
Mohobbat ne kya kya tamashe dikhaye & YE KYA HO GAYA is the same song
Song Aji Tumhi kaho do not contain voice of MANNADEY BUT IT IS RAFI SAHAB( + kishor ji & ram kamlani)
Song Lo mil gayi is having voice of Kishore Kumar ji & Ram Kamlani & MUKESH JI (although i am unbale to hear his voice).
just correction
thanks
Taiyab
swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Nov 3 2013, 09:51 AM) *

Dear Swarapriya
Maalkin contains only 8 songs as per HFGK
Mohobbat ne kya kya tamashe dikhaye & YE KYA HO GAYA is the same song
Song Aji Tumhi kaho do not contain voice of MANNADEY BUT IT IS RAFI SAHAB( + kishor ji & ram kamlani)
Song Lo mil gayi is having voice of Kishore Kumar ji & Ram Kamlani & MUKESH JI (although i am unbale to hear his voice).
just correction
thanks
Taiyab

Thank you very much My Dear Taiyab. You always keep things straight for me. I really appreciate your committed efforts to make sure that everything is correct.

Cheers,
S

swarapriya
(Shailendra) Aawaz (1956)

While feverishly working on shaping up his epic story of the tumultuos life and turbulent times of a mother ("Mother India (1957)"), the great Mehboob Khan Saab decided to produce this film. Interestingly none of his regulars were associated with this film. For example, the music was composed by Salilda. Lyrics were written by Shailendra and others.

A note on the song "Dhitang Dhitang Bole" by Lataji. Salilda used the tune for this song from a Bengali song sung by Hemantda which also starts with the words "Dhitang Dhitang Bole". The Bengali song was also composed by Salilda. This is given in the second post.

I am uploading songs from this album in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Aawaz (1956)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this album...
swarapriya
(Shakeel) Sitara (1955)

swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Dulha Dulhan (1964)

This is a simple film that could have been below average except for its music. The problem here is that even though Raj Kapoor gave a subdued performance, he looked weighty and tired. On the other hand, Sadhana, his love interest, looked young, fresh, and charming. She was only 23 years when the movie was released and Raj was 17 years senior to her. In a supporting role comedian Agha gave a winning performance.

Like mentioned earlier, Kalyanji & Anandji’s music was simply outstanding. Laxmikant & Pyarelal, who already were established music directors (with their stunning debut in 1963 with “Parasmani”), were their assistants. LP’s “Dosti” this very same year made them top music directors of Hindi films.

All eight songs from the film became extremely popular. I am uploading these and some music clips from the film in two back-to-back posts. The first post contains all the songs. The second post contains several music clips. Here are the songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Some Specials & Music Clips of "Dulha Dulhan (1964)"...

Here are some specials and music clips related to this fine album...
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Sangam (1954)

I have only few songs from this album. A list of the missing songs is shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these if they can. Thank you.

Here are the songs I have...
taiyab53
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Nov 7 2013, 01:51 PM) *

I have only few songs from this album. A list of the missing songs is shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these if they can. Thank you.

Here are the songs I have...

one of the requested song
taiyab
1954-sangam-nazrain mila ke piya-madhubala zaveri-ram ganguli-kaif irfani-192-2.20 mins
swarapriya
(Javed Akhtar) Jhoothi Shaan (1991)

swarapriya
QUOTE(taiyab53 @ Nov 7 2013, 09:58 AM) *

one of the requested song
taiyab
1954-sangam-nazrain mila ke piya-madhubala zaveri-ram ganguli-kaif irfani-192-2.20 mins

Thank you very much for the song Taiyab. Cheers.
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Shrimati 420 (1956)

Majrooh Saab collaborated with OP in five films during 1956. These were “Bhagam Bhag”, “C.I.D.”, “Hum Sab Chor Hain”, “Mr. Lambu”, and this film, “Shrimati 420”. The songs of this film are not what you expect from OP. They are a bit on the down side and yet some of them manage to entertain. I am uploading 8 of the 9 songs here. The missing song is shown in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share this song if they can. Thank you.

Here are the songs from this album…
swarapriya
(Rajinder Krishan) Paapi (1953)

Songs from this album were recently uploaded in this very thread. These are available starting at the following location...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...4658&st=484
swarapriya
(Shailendra) Basant Bahar (1956)

This majestic musical achievement of Shankar & Jaikishan is so divinely engrossing that it is difficult to come out of it with your wits in complete control. Their magnificence is such that even simple listening is engrossing, enriching, and entertaining all at the same time. Until this film the musical genius of S&J was unquestionable but songs from this film leave you in awe at the extraordinary repertoire that these two brilliant composers possess.

It is not SJ’s favourite Lata who steals the show this time. It is the songs by greats like Manna Dey, Rafi Saab, and Pt. Bhimsen Joshi. For example, the classical song “Ketaki Gulaab” by Mannada and Joshiji presents a “jugalbandi” with alluringly astonishing vocal range of both the singers to the accompaniment of intricate instrumentalization. Mannada also has two of my favorite soul stirring solos in “Bhaye Bhanjana” and “Sur Naa Saje”. In both these songs Manna elevates his voice to such great heights that it rings in your ears for hours and hours and leaves you with love and admiration for the great singer.

If Mannada rose to new heights with the songs mentioned, Rafi Saab was not too far behind. The two solos “Badi Deir Bhai” and “Duniya Na Bhaaye” are sung by the great Rafi Saab with such passionate pathos that the listening experience leaves one drenched. The humility that resonates in the rich voice of Rafi Saab is supremely sublime rewarding richly the passionate listener with something to remember for years to come.

Bharat Bhushan finally gave somewhat adequate performance in the lead role. Performances by other actors were passable. However, even with such magnificent music, the movie leaves one disappointed. It suffers from a poor screenplay and uneven direction. If only some care was taken in these two departments the movie with its music magic could have been a classic. The movie may be forgotten but not the songs by Shankar & Jaikishan…

I am uploading these and other songs and some specials in three back-to-back posts. Here is the first set…

swarapriya
Continuing Songs from "Basant Bahar (1956)"...

Here are more memorable songs from this classic album...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Basant Bahar (1956)"...

Here are some music clips and instrumentals...
swarapriya
(Shakeel) Uran Khatola (1955)

Part of the following write up appeared in one of my earlier postings of this album...

This movie was loosely based on Frank Capra’s 1937 classic film “Lost Horizon.” The story of this movie was based on James Hilton’s best-selling 1933 novel of the same name that was inspired by the real-life mountaineer George Leigh-Mallory who lost his life during a fatal climb of Mount Everest in 1924. The film also had some similarities with another English movie made in 1935 called “She” an adventure tale about a lost land.

The Hindi version of the movie was produced by its music director Naushadji. The story is as strange as it can be. There is a young good looking queen, played beautifully by Surya Kumari, who rules by iron fist. People from other places are not allowed into their kingdom. Nimmi is one of the residents who falls in love with a stranger, played by Dilip, who was rescued from a plane wreck. The queen also falls for the stranger. Except for the beginning scene, Kumar’s role does not offer too much scope for showing his acting skills. Also, Nimmi, for more than half of the movie is donned as a young man to protect her identity from the vengeful queen. So on and on…

In spite of this twisted fantasy yarn, the movie was a success. It has to do a lot with Naushad Saab’s great score and some spirited singing by Lataji and Rafi Saab. But what made this movie apart from others was the casting of T. Surya Kumari in the role of the queen. Surya Kumari, who bore the famous family name of Tanguturi, was a Telugu-speaking lady, who came from a rich, politically active and influential background.

Surya Kumari was a lady of elegance and style and stood tall with a very slender figure. She was bestowed with a beautiful voice and became popular singing patriotic songs even before she was 10 years old. Prakasam Pantulu, her uncle, was a freedom fighter who defied British troops during the Indian independence struggle. She accompanied him to many political rallies where her singing was a major draw than the speeches given by the seasoned politicians. (See her picture below.)

She acted in her first movie when she was only 12 years, in a special part especially written for her to accommodate her singing talent. Altogether she acted in about 25 movies. In 1947 Shantaram who heard her voice on a gramophone record, offered her to sing for the heroine of his film “Apna Desh.” Later she acted in the Hindi movie “Watan (1954).” By this time, she had grown up to be a beautiful woman and was crowned as Miss Madras. Soon after this she was offered the role of the queen in “Uran Khatola.” The film became a hit. It even fetched her nomination for the Best Supporting Actress Award from Filmfare. However, she lost to Nirupa Roy for her performance in “Munimji.”

Surya Kumari spoke several languages including Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, English, Gujarati, and Sanskrit. Even with the success she enjoyed with “Uran Khatola”, she acted in only one other Hindi movie (also made in English) called “Bombay Might 417”. That was the last of her movies. However, she did remain very active participating and promoting Indian culture abroad. When in US as a member of a cultural organization, she met the famous Hollywood producer and director Alfred Hitchcock. Fairly impressed with her varied skills and her rich resume, Hitchcock offered her to work with him. She spent several years in US, working in the background and assisting Hitchcock in production, and collaborated in producing several episodes of the popular television show “Alfred Hitchcock Presents …”. She also taught in New York City at Columbia University.

Later she moved to UK and met and married Harold Elvin, a poet, painter, and potter. She lived rest of her life in UK until she passed away in 2005. Surya Kumari, a lady with many skills, was truly a remarkable lady in every sense of the word.

I am uploading songs from this film in three back-to-back posts. The first two posts contain songs from the film and the third post has some music clips and instrumentals. All songs of the film I am uploading here are from a DVD. Most of these are also available on CD. But DVD versions are longer in duration with additional music. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to upload the songs from CD.

The songs from this album start in the next post...
swarapriya
Songs from "Uran Khatola (1955)"

Here are the songs in this post...
swarapriya
Continuing Songs from "Uran Khatola (1955)"...

Here are more songs from this beautiful album...
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Uran Khatola (1955)"...

Here are specials and instrumentals related to this album...
swarapriya
(Anand Bakshi) Hercules (1964)

The team of Dara Singh, Nishi, N. Dutta, and Anand Bakshi were back once again this year with this movie. Their other movie this same year was “Badshah”. Whereas “Badshah” was partly in colour, “Hercules” was a full-length colour film. Mumtaz, who co-starred with Dara Singh in 15 movies, had a supporting role in the film.

“Hercules” was out and out Dara Singh’s movie. It showcased his muscle man status. The movie started with Daraji killing a tiger with his bare hands and ended with him decimating an entire army. In between he fought with a 7-headed serpent, killed a mammoth monster, got the best of a giant reptile, got rid of a medusa-like monstrous woman, wrestled at least on three occasions with three fearsome champions, and so on. Yet he found time to woo two women (Nishi and Helen). However, it was a poorly made film and Dara Saab was not responsible for that. It had a weak script and was directed unimaginatively.

Here are the songs from the film…
swarapriya
(Hasrat Jaipuri) Aaj ki Baat (1955)

This movie was produced and directed by the late veteran actress Leela Chitnis. Chitnis was an educated lady who entered stage and later films to support her children. Starting with extra roles in no time she became a leading lady. She acted opposite many heroes of those times. At one point she was more popular than Devika Rani.

Before becoming an actress, Chitnis supported India’s freedom struggle when she was based in England. She even gave shelter to freedom fighters at the risk of being arrested. As an actress, her reign as the popular leading lady lasted only 10 years. Later she started taking mother roles. She passed away in US where she lived with her children since late 80’s.

I am uploading five of the songs from this movie below. Their quality is variable ranging from poor to fair. I am missing at least two more songs listed in red italics in the table below. I am requesting members to share these with rest of us if they can. Thank you.

Here are the five songs I have…
Abdur Rehman
Two missing songs albeit at a lower bitrate... quality is average
taiyab53
QUOTE(Abdur Rehman @ Nov 14 2013, 11:23 PM) *

dear abdur rehman
the song you have uploaded MERI NAGRI MAIN KYUN AAYA is not the same song
you have uploaded TU ISHQ DE-LATA-GUNAAH 1953.(may be wrong tag)
if you have the ashaji's song from AAJ KI BAAT please upload.
thanks
taiyab
swarapriya
(Javed Akhtar) Drohi (1992)

This movie was made simultaneously in Telugu and Hindi. It was directed by Ram Gopal Verma. The highlight of the movie was its music, both songs and background. The songs were composed by RD with Akhtar Saab penning the lyrics. The background music was composed by Mani Sharma.

It appeared to me as if RD was experimenting in this album. He used a lot of Latin American and African instruments and the songs came out atypical of any RD’s I have heard before. This probably was bold on his part. I myself for one gratified with the results RD obtained.

Whereas songs standout with fresh and hitherto unheard beats, the background music was also equally effective. It was composed by Mani Sharma an up and coming music director from South at the time of the release of the movie. Since then he made himself name by providing hit music for many Telugu films. I am uploading here several music clips from this album to prove my point.

A note on the song “Aise Humein Dekho Nahin”. On CDs this is given as a solo and as a duet. I am uploading both of them here. Both songs are identical till about the five minute mark. Then they diverge.

I am uploading all songs and several music clips in three back-to-back posts. The first two posts contain songs from the film. The third post contains several music clips.

Here are the songs in the first post…
swarapriya
Concluding Songs from "Drohi (1992)"...

Here are the rest of the songs from this fine album...
swarapriya
Music Clips from "Drohi (1992)"...

Here are some music clips from this film...
swarapriya
QUOTE(Abdur Rehman @ Nov 14 2013, 08:53 AM) *

Thank you very much for the song "Aaj ki Raat" Seshadri. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Majrooh) Apradhi Kaun? (1957)

This movie directed by Asit Sen was produced by Bimalda. Sen, who made several good movies like “Mamta (1966) and “Safar (1970)”, had a good story at hand but spent too much time on frivolous characters that don’t add anything to the story. What should have been a gripping whodunit drama slows down because of this and does not go anyplace.

The movie introduced two new actors, Lillian and Tarun Bose. Lillian who played a character generally played by Helen subsequently did not appear in too many movies. However, Bose went on to portray many roles as a character actor in several films (for example, Hrishida’s “Anupama (1966)”).

A note about the music. Ever so dependable Salilda who composed songs lets you down here with uninspired music. None of the songs had his usual stamp on them. It may have something to do with the subject of the film he was dealing with.

Here are the songs from this film…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.