Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Itunes & Cd-rw/ Dvd-rom Drives
Hamara Forums > General > Computing and Technology
Talaikya
I have been working with iTunes, trying to name my tracks etc for a CD. In the last 30 mins it's just stopped playing the CD twice. Once it caused my system to freeze, the second time both my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives got disconnected when the CD stopped playing. What's happening?? Any clues?? blink.gif Mahn and I am in love with iTunes... sad1.gif
deewani
QUOTE(Talaikya @ Apr 19 2005, 10:17 PM)
I have been working with iTunes, trying to name my tracks etc for a CD. In the last 30 mins it's just stopped playing the CD twice. Once it caused my system to freeze, the second time both my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives got disconnected when the CD stopped playing. What's happening?? Any clues??  blink.gif Mahn and I am in love with iTunes...  sad1.gif

This same problem happened to me earlier today with a T-series disc, it seemed that iTunes was still trying to download track info from the net (even though t-series discs rarely are able to download the track and albums names from cddb), hence it froze. I tried to play the songs before I imported the CD, but I couldn't do anything. I just restarted the computer and put the disc into my other drive and it worked fine (both are DVD drives, one a DVD-RW/CD-RW, not just DVD-ROM. I just named the tracks after I ran the import. I did notice though that the CD was heavily scratched and that may have something to do with it. unsure.gif

But if this happens a lot for you, check out this article at iTunes support (I'm assuming you are using Windows)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93453
There are also related articles below there as well. I hope you get the problem solved. iTunes is constantly being updated, so they may fix this issue in future versions. I have ripped so many CDs in itunes, but the first time it happened was today.
Talaikya
Thank you, helps to know it wasn't something I did smile1.gif

QUOTE(johnnykideewani @ Apr 20 2005, 02:16 AM)
But if this happens a lot for you, check out this article at iTunes support (I'm assuming you are using Windows)

No, this was the first time in about a month of using iTunes, though probably only the 3rd or 4th CD, which is probably why I panicked! I wasn't imprting this one, was just trying to name it. Will change CDs and drives and see how it goes. Yes, I use Windows and thanks for the link.

I have ripped so many CDs in itunes, but the first time it happened was today.

Good to know... and it happened to both of us today... so I am wondering if the problem was at iTunes' end.
deewani
I don't know, it was strange. Could not even get windows to eject the drive. And the drive was running very loudly - but I'm thinking again it's b/c the disc was messed up too. Anyways, like all software, it has some bugs, and for something that's free it's very awesome.

BTW, you probably already know this, but just like when you name mp3s on your hard disc, you can hit CTRL + I to batch edit the CD tracks as well as use the fields and columns in iTunes.

Some other keyboard shortcuts I often use:
When playing one song, but working in another part of the library, hit CTRL + L to Locate the song that is playing in the library instantly.

Also, if you want to Retrieve the folder on the hard drive of the song that is playing in iTunes, hit CTRL + R.

One other one is moving up and down through the library by the first letter of the song title (works for other columns too, ie. album title). For example say you are editing some information on Wafa Jo Na Ki, but then you want to add some similar info to another song from this movie, let's say Dil To Hai Dil. Simply hit SHIFT + D (the letter that the song starts with) to move to the D's in the library list. If you were looking for songs that started with M, you would click SHIFT and M.
Talaikya
Cool, thanks, please keep 'em tips and tricks coming. Also, can you shed some light on Tagging in iTunes.

1. How to import songs which I have already tagged so as not to lose the information.

2. How to make sure the information in iTunes is also written to the tags.

I did try playing around with this, but can't seem to get the hang of it. Sometimes it works, at others there's some info or the other that won't get written!

Thanks again,

T

P.S.
It still keeps disconnecting my drives... hellllllppppppp ... JKD and Vikas ji!!
deewani
QUOTE(Talaikya @ Apr 23 2005, 08:55 AM)
Cool, thanks, please keep 'em tips and tricks coming. Also, can you shed some light on Tagging in iTunes.
1. How to import songs which I have already tagged so as not to lose the information.
2. How to make sure the information in iTunes is also written to the tags.
I did try playing around with this, but can't seem to get the hang of it. Sometimes it works, at others there's some info or the other that won't get written!
Thanks again,

T

P.S.
It still keeps disconnecting my drives... hellllllppppppp ... JKD and Vikas ji!!

Sorry you are still having problems with iTunes disconnecting your drives, hopefully Vikasji can help.

As far as your first question - are you importing from CD, or just adding files that are already on your computer? If you are adding files from your computer, and the files already have ID3 tags, then they should show up in iTunes already, unless they need to be converted (see next paragraph). If they are from a CD you have named, the names should show up again when you re-insert the CD.

As far as tagging in iTunes, when you enter information in the various iTunes fields, you are creating the ID3 tags. You can also convert/update tags of songs that have older versions of ID3 tags by right clicking on the song, choosing convert ID3 Tags.. and select the format you would like to convert to. Now, if it the case that iTunes won't allow you to alter the information, go to the song file in it's folder, right click on the song name, select Properties, and under Attributes along the bottom, make sure that the "Read Only" box is not checked. If it is checked, this is blocking you from writing a tag. Simply uncheck it and click Apply and then OK to close the window. Now you should be able to write information/tag the song in iTunes.

Talaikya
QUOTE(johnnykideewani @ Apr 29 2005, 12:40 AM)
Sorry you are still having problems with iTunes disconnecting your drives, hopefully Vikasji can help.

It's been behaving the past few days. Waiting and watching ...

As far as your first question - are you importing from CD, or just adding files that are already on your computer?

Both

If you are adding files from your computer, and the files already have ID3 tags, then they should show up in iTunes already, unless they need to be converted (see next paragraph)

at times they do, at times they don't. I guess I can't figure out a pattern hence I can't understand why hence the confusion. Can live with the confusion however, thanks for all your help!

You can also convert/update tags of songs that have older versions of ID3 tags by right clicking on the song, choosing convert ID3 Tags..  and select the format you would like to convert to.

Ummmmm yes, about that, is one format more universal than another?

.... make sure that the "Read Only" box is not checked. If it is checked, this is blocking you from writing a tag. Simply uncheck it and click Apply and then OK to close the window. Now you should be able to write information/tag the song in iTunes.

I think I did ensure it wasn't a "Read Only" file and still some of the Tags weren't written. I probably need to familiarise myself about tags. Darn, it never ends... the learning!! rolleyes.gif

Now some burning questions laugh.gif

1. Can I employ cross fade while burning a CD
2. Does it normalise the volume

I expect a lot from something that is free don't I? blink1.gif I also want it to tell me which mp3 has already made it to an Audio track laugh.gif

Hey, many thanks for all your help.

T

deewani
I believe that the current "standard" is ID version 2.3. I use the phrase standard loosely because mp3s are still not considered the "standard" compressed format, lol.

I don't know why it won't let you write tags if they files are not marked read only - I haven't had that problem, sorry.

For normalising and cross fading, you should probably use a different program like Roxio, I don't think iTunes lets you do that.
r&d
"Sound Check" is for normalizing.

the burn preference also has a check box
for "Sound Check" so when you burn
the normalized audio is in the cd.

Cross fading won't be transfered to cd.
you can only control the sound gap.

I have Sound Enhanced turned off.
I use to have it on. Some mp3 files really sound
better, while others I prefer the natural sound.

Also.
Be sure to use equalizer.
In my laptop. "Small speakers" is the best
setting. And you can use the PremAmp slider
to increase the sound as well.

There are some weird mp3 encodings that iTunes
has trouble editing the id3.
You can try deleting the current id3 and then adding
2.4 version.
To delete the id3 tag - click the "Convert id3 Tags" menu.
Then select the check box with "None" in the combo box.

If you are on mac, I can suggest another program to help
you edit id3, if the iTunes cannot edit.

Thanks,

Rajnish
Talaikya
So... here's the question.

How do I get my iPod contents into iTunes in some other computer? I did try to drop the play lists in there, no luck sad1.gif I also figured out a convoluted way, but... am hoping one of you my Gurujis will be able to help find a simpler way.

Rajnish ji, I always meant to thank you for the pointers, but I see I never ended up doing so... sorry about that sad1.gif
deewani
I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you just want to look at your songs and playlists on another computer via iTunes (that shouldn't be a problem)? Or do you actually want to have the files on a second computer (move them from the iPod to the computer)? If that's the case, then you sort of have to hack your iPod with software, iLounge is a great source of info on that, especially their forums (I have never tried it). By nature, the pods are copy protected to hinder file sharing. Only other thing you could do is you would have to copy your files over from the first computer. Not sure if I answered your question, let me know and I'll try to help more.

Here are some links as well that may or may not help you:

General How To
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/howto/

Using iPod with multiple computers
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61675

These two tell you how to copy songs from iPod to your HD, but I'm not sure about the apple one cause I was led to believe it was not possible, try at your own risk. The iLounge one does say it's not possible unless you use software listed there.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s...p;threadid=4719

Talaikya
Thanks Deewani, mah Guru love.gif I have got lazy you know, rely on you for ready made answers sad.gif I really appreciate all your help. Yep you read me right, from iPod to the HD. My husband wants his music on his desktop at work too and if we can do this, it's simpler than using an external HD, or maybe not blab.gif

Will revert with my experience, in case you're/ anyone's curious about it.
deewani
If you have an external HD that would be the best best way to go my dear, I would not even bother with the iPOD. It will be easier, safer, and faster! I have given much of my cd rips to my cousin (as he has let me rip all his CDs) and this was so simple. Just copy the music over to the new computer and drop the folder with all the music into iTunes. Trust me.

My brother thought he could do the pod to HD thing, not only did he lose his music (he had backup so no problem), he had to reformat the pod. Some people who are desparate do unhide the hidden folders on the ipod via the computer and drag the songs onto the computer, you pretty much lose everything, files names, tags, etc. It's a real mess, not to mention reformatting the pod.

They say you can use it as external HD which is very true, works great for everything but music.
Talaikya
Then that's the way to go, I am all for learning from other people's mistakes! Thanks Deewz bow.gif

QUOTE( Deewani)
They say you can use it as external HD which is very true, works great for everything but music

biggrin.gif
deewani
YW, dear, he doesn't even own a pod, I had been using iTunes for about a year before I had the pod thanks to it being shoved down my throat by my brother. So we are all hooked on the software, the pod is a major bonus. My cousin is not so computer literate, knows how to surf and that's about it, but not much about ripping and all that, so iTunes is the easiest way for him to find what songs he wants so he can burn a mix cd for his car - it couldn't be easier for people who don't know the basics of copying and/or moving files from one place to another.

Talaikya
I am back - with questions tongue1.gif

The burning one right now - Can I "force" an order in a play list? For example mah Tandems - the Awaz Alag Andaz Alag series... if I want them to play chronologically with the slower ones of the pair first... short of renaming them is there any other way?

(Note to myself - Deewz is a whiz, she'll know what I am trying to ask!! tongue1.gif)
deewani
biggrin.gif Hi T, I made you a little screenshot pic to explain how that's done, some think you have to change the track order but that is not so, nor do you have to rename your files or your ID3 tags. Whether you are burnng a CD, or just want the songs to play correctly in your playlist, or on your iPod, you just need to literally drag the songs where you want them to be. I love this feature cause I always change my mind as to what song should come before another. This features gives that flexibility.

IPB Image

I probably mentioned this before, but iLounge has a .pdf download of what they call The Free iPod Book, mostly it's a magazine with ads and neat gadgetry, BUT contained within it's pages, starting on page 104 (110 of 202) as shown in the adobe reader, they have the all things iTunes guide with 125 tips related to iTunes. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/library/

Now, this is all great and exciting, BUT WHAT IF YOUR PC CRASHES? You lose your playlists if you reformat/restore your PC right? Well smart playlists are easy enough to recreate (though a pain if you've got many), but what about non-smart ones? One nice thing about the newer versions of iTunes is the restoration of playlists. If, for some reason, you have to completely restore your computer/reformat the hard drives, etc. BEFORE you do that, make sure you do this (probably should be done everytime you do a full backup of your music files):

As a safeguard, especially if you've purchased anything from the iTunes store, you want to:
1. Backup your iTunes folder C:\Documents and Setting\User Name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
(if you've bought files from iTunes store, you also need to read about deauthorization/reauthorization)

2. Use the "Back Up To Disc" function to make sure you playlists will be recreated. Now I'm assuming here that all your music has been backed up to external hard drives, or DVDs, or whatever. So when you restore your PC, you are adding all the music back to the same directory/folder it used to sit. Also, it does not matter if you have bought anything from the iTunes store for this to work.
From: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302392
Go to File -- "Back Up To Disc"
The first option is Back up entire iTunes library and playlists - you can use this option IF you are backing up your music files to DVD, But as I said I'm assuming your music is already backed up on DVDs or external HDs. So we want the SECOND OPTION: Back up only iTunes Store purchases, click Back Up. Now put in a blank CD or DVD (DVD more if you have actually bought large files like movies or games from iTunes store, CD if you've only bought very little music OR even if you've never shopped there). iTunes will burn your library info, and your playlist info to this Back Up Disc.

Now when you go to put your music back on your PC after it's been wiped clean. After you have it in, you re-install iTunes and then insert your "Back Up Disc" you just created. iTunes will prompt you to restore from this disc, click Restore and there you go, your library and all your precious plalyists are re-created instantly. smile.gif

Talaikya
QUOTE(deewani @ Apr 5 2007, 02:43 PM) *

biggrin.gif Hi T, I made you a little screenshot pic to explain how that's done

Awesome!!! That simple eh?? Thanks soooooo much... !!

I probably mentioned this before, but iLounge has a .pdf download of what they call The Free iPod Book, mostly it's a magazine with ads and neat gadgetry, BUT contained within it's pages, starting on page 104 (110 of 202) as shown in the adobe reader, they have the all things iTunes guide with 125 tips related to iTunes. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/library/

Yes, you did and I downloaded it too a long time ago, but... much easier to ask you na? tongue1.gif I am not just being lazy, am pretty swamped of late and took a conscious decision to ask you rather than look it up. It's been nagging at me since a while now sigh.gif Now I really feel lazy! biggrin.gif

One nice thing about the newer versions of iTunes is the restoration of playlists.

Wow!! Okay this is what I do... periodically I point iTunes to the external drive, won't that take care of playlists and all? My CD and DVD drives have conked and I haven't had a chance to figure it out. I am sooner or later replacing my system, so I have ignored the issue (make do with my hubby's lap top for any burning issues biggrin.gif )

Thanks Deewz, mucho obliged bow.gif
deewani
YQW T, I'm sure others will find it helpful as well, I remember when my brother showed me that, I was so excited.

OK so your library exists on your PC probably as well as the external drive, and that's all fine as far as the files go, but what I am saying is, what happens if for some reason you need to re-install iTunes after your PC's HD has been formatted, it will no longer have a record of your playlists or what the iTunes library consisted of. If you have your music backed up, no problem. You just drop it back into iTunes after a clean install, and your music files are obviously restored, but.... your playlists, the ones you made up WILL be gone. You will have to make them again, unless you follow the above procedure. This is one reason I used to rely on Smart Playlists. But now all my playlists can be regenerated by the software itself, I don't have to manually re-create them. I found this out when my main hard drive conked out late last year.

For example for your Tandems, I would have created a Smart Playlist named Awaz Alag Andaz Alag based on the grouping field in iTunes. I would tag all the songs that belong in this playlist with something like "Awaz Alag Andaz Alag" in the grouping field. And then create a Smart Playlist based on this grouping field. Then you can sort the play order as I explained. So if you restored your pc, put your files back, you can manually regenerate this playlist by just entering your criteria into the Smart Playlist field again. But this is now unnecessary if your library - meaning the database that keeps track of your files, not your actual files, and your playlists - separate from your actual files in the list, are backed up as described above. Hope I made some sense there. Wit over 100 playlists I found this invaluable.

Side Note: many of us have recently come to believe that our DVD burners have conked out only to discover that the blank printable TDK discs that Costco has been selling have just plain sucked. I discovered that little fact this past summer, my brother came across the same problem, I asked him Costco TDKs? He's like yes, problem solved, switched brands. My cousin two days ago said he just restored his whole PC in hopes of solving his burner woes - I asked him - Costco TDKs? Yup. He's like why didn' t I talk to you first, lol. So yeah, your DVD burner could be dying, but it could also be the media.
Talaikya
QUOTE(deewani @ Apr 5 2007, 11:17 PM) *

OK so your library exists on your PC probably as well as the external drive, and that's all fine as far as the files go, but what I am saying is, what happens if for some reason you need to re-install iTunes after your PC's HD has been formatted, it will no longer have a record of your playlists or what the iTunes library consisted of.

So, if the library exists on both the PC and the external drive, doesn't that mean so do the play lists et al?? It does tell me that it's copying the library or some such. sigh.gif don't tell me I'll have to look into my DVD burner now!! Arghhhhhh!!!

And yes ... I do the Smart playlist thing... is why I was getting frustrated with the play order.

Side Note: many of us have recently come to believe that our DVD burners have conked out only to discover that the blank printable TDK discs that Costco has been selling have just plain sucked. I discovered that little fact this past summer, my brother came across the same problem, I asked him Costco TDKs? He's like yes, problem solved, switched brands. My cousin two days ago said he just restored his whole PC in hopes of solving his burner woes - I asked him - Costco TDKs? Yup. He's like why didn' t I talk to you first, lol. So yeah, your DVD burner could be dying, but it could also be the media.

No... I don't think it's the media... for one I haven't used the Costco TDKs. And they aren't dying... because both went at the same time, so I know it's probably something else, but... I am not a Hardware/ Software person and feel pretty stretched already! Point me to resources if you know of any to start figuring that out... I gotta save 'em play lists na at all costs now! biggrin.gif
deewani
^^^^ No clue, but if it's both drives, maybe nothing is wrong with them but something else.

By request for Mujahid: HOW TO EXPORT PLAYLISTS FROM ITUNES:

Folks can always backup the playlists they've created in iTunes, and smart playlists re-generate themselves in case you have to recover your computer, or reformat your drive, etc, but if you saved a play order, that may or may not be saved, so I save a list of all my playlists in case.

iTunes
1. Go to the playlist you want to save in iTunes, highlight it in the "Source" box.
2. File --> Export Song List, in the "Save As" window, you will see the name of your playlist, and you want to save as type: .txt.
You now have a text file of your playlist, however, it contains all the columns available in iTunes by default, and you probably only want a few of them. So next step is Excel.

Excel
1. Launch Excel.
2. File --> Open, change the drop down menu for "Files of Type" to "All Files", browse to the playlist you just saved and "Open."
3. The "Text Import Wizard" window will open, click "Next" on Step 1, 2, and and then click "Finish" on Step 3. This will open the iTunes columns in the spreadsheet.
4. Clicking on the letter of a column will highlight the entire column. We are now going to delete all the columns we don't need, this can be done in one step like this: Highlight the first column you don't want (example "Genre" column), now while holding the CTRL key down, go click on the rest of the columns you don't want. Then right click with the mouse on the highlit columns and choose DELETE.
5. If desired, you can move the remaining columns around by inserting extra columns, copying and pasting the the columns you want in the appropriate slots. (You can also, for example, make an entire column (like the album names) show up in bold if that's what you want. I usually insert an extra column in front of and in back of the Year column to space it.
6. File --> Save As, under the drop down menu for "Save as Type", choose Web Page, this saves it as html and you now have a published playlist, from which you can copy and paste, or you can create a screenshot of it to share. DONE!

So that's it - that gives me a list, now you were asking me how I make it look like the one in my playlist thread, well i just take a screenshot of the list, throw in photoshop, crop it reduce the size a bit and host it on an image hosting site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some hints for Excel:

Auto Column Width: Double-click the boundary to the right of the column heading tab (this also works inside the iTunes program itself)
To do this for all the columns on the worksheet, click the Select All button, and then double-click the boundary to the right of ANY column heading tab.

Numbering A List:
Unlike other Microsoft Office programs such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel does not provide a button to automatically number data. However, you can easily add sequential numbers to rows of data by filling a column with a series of numbers or by using the ROW function.
INSERT BLANK COLUMN FIRST to the left of your current first column (Insert --> Column).

Fill a column with a series of numbers
Note: These numbers are not automatically updated when you add, move, or remove rows. You can manually update the sequential numbering by selecting two numbers that are in the right sequence, and then dragging the fill handle to the end of the numbered range.
1. Select the first cell in the range that you want to fill.
2. Type the starting value for the series.
3. Type a value in the next cell to establish a pattern. How?
For example, if you want the series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5..., type 1 and 2 in the first two cells. If you want the series 2, 4, 6, 8..., type 2 and 4.
4. Select the cells that contain the starting values.
5. Drag the fill handle (fill handle: The small black square in the lower-right corner of the selection. When you point to the fill handle, the pointer
changes to a black cross.) Selected cell with fill handle across the range that you want to fill.
To fill in increasing order, drag down or to the right. To fill in decreasing order, drag up or to the left.
Is the fill handle missing?
To display the fill handle on a selection of cells, click Options on the Tools menu, click the Edit tab, and then select the Allow cell drag and drop check
box.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Album List Only from iTunes
This from a genius poster at iLounge

iTunes
1. Go to the playlist you want to save in iTunes, highlight it in the "Source" box, in this case highlight your library.
2. File --> Export Song List (not Export Library) in the "Save As" window, you will see the name of your music library, and you want to save as type: .txt.
You now have a text file of your entire music library, however, it contains all the columns available in iTunes by default, so next step is Excel.

Excel
1. Launch Excel.
2. File --> Open, change the drop down menu for "Files of Type" to "All Files", browse to the library list you just saved and "Open."
3. The "Text Import Wizard" window will open, click "Next" on Step 1, 2, and and then click "Finish" on Step 3. This will open the iTunes columns in the spreadsheet.
4. Clicking on the letter of a column will highlight the entire column. We are now going to delete all the columns except for the Album Name column: this can be done in one step like this: Highlight the first column you don't want (example "Genre" column), now while holding the CTRL key down, go click on the rest of the columns you don't want. Then right click with the mouse on the highlit columns and choose DELETE.
5. Data --> Filter --> Advanced Filter. In the Advanced Filter window, choose the Album Column as the List Range (in other words, once this window is open, go highlight your Album Column with the mouse. Now check the "Unique Records Only" box. Click OK.
6. Highlight the Album Column now, and then Edit --> Copy (we are gonna copy the list into a new worksheet).
7. File --> New (blank workbook), then Edit --> Paste.
8. Save file as an excel file and you have a list you can play with, or publish it (see instructions above for playlists).
Aurous
Thanks Deewz wub.gif Got it....You've such a helping nature, thanks again smile.gif
deewani
QUOTE(mujahid @ Apr 10 2007, 10:16 PM) *
Thanks Deewz wub.gif Got it....You've such a helping nature, thanks again smile.gif

No big deal hon, had already done this post elsewhere on the web, just copied and pasted. LOL In fact the person I did it for is one of my best online friends now.

edited to add: P.S. I expect to see some playlists now. tongue1.gif
deewani
OK ^^^^^^^^^ just got a lot easier!! Thanks to a friend I was chatting with tonight I went on a search at iLounge again, and......... I found that you can just copy and paste straight from iTunes now!! biggrin.gif No need to export lists in iTunes and delete extra columns. Just make a new playlist of the stuff you want put in the spreadsheet, exclude columns you don't want right in iTunes, select all, go to edit - copy, and then open a blank workbook in Excel and paste. Exact same fields will be copied there.
Talaikya
Hmmmm so here's the question Deewz mah Guruji and so many others' too I am sure...

iTunes is on a system that doesn't have disk writing capabilities - so no back ups are possible.

I have a back up (by pointing iTunes to it periodically) on an external Hard Drive

We did touch this topic earlier.... will that back up have the play lists et al or just the music files?

Because... I am gonna switch to a new system (inheriting hubby's old lappy (old car too!). Does this mean, w/o the disk writing capabilities, I will lose all mah playlists??

Planning to make the switch by pointing the new system to backup in the external HDD.

Any recommendations/ advice?
deewani
Eek the G word!

Anwyays, lol, hmm that is a predicament. Ok when you say you have a backup on external Hard Drive, does that mean the songs located physically on that Hard Drive are also in your iTunes library? In other words when you right click a song and Get Info and look at the Summary page - under the Where - is that the letter of your external HD in the path? If that is the case, if your entire iTunes library points to files on your external HD then that could be OK.

You can simply back up your entire iTunes folder located in C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes. If you have done that, then you have a backup of 2 important files, one is the iTunes Library.itl and the other is the iTunes Music Library.xml. These files also contain your library and playlist information! You can then follow these instructions to re-create your library:
How to re-create your iTunes Library
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

You don't need disc writing capabilities, that's one of the easiest ways to make and restore your backup, but this way works as well.

There's always manual ways of backing up playlists but that is time consuming:
How To Backup and Restore Playlists
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93763
Complete guide to Backing up iPod and iTunes music
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...d-itunes-music/

To help you further though I need to know exactly where the music files are located physically, if they are all on the external disc, then this should work, provided that when you start using the "new" laptop, and you install iTunes, the laptop assigns the same drive letter to the external HD.

Talaikya
Anwyays, lol, hmm that is a predicament. Ok when you say you have a backup on external Hard Drive, does that mean the songs located physically on that Hard Drive are also in your iTunes library? In other words when you right click a song and Get Info and look at the Summary page - under the Where - is that the letter of your external HD in the path? If that is the case, if your entire iTunes library points to files on your external HD then that could be OK.

Well it does and it doesn't tongue1.gif
Mostly it points to my local drive, but periodically I change the path to the external Hard Drive and "Consolidate the Library", for back ups. That's when if I do the "Get info" thing iTunes would point to the external HD.

To help you further though I need to know exactly where the music files are located physically, if they are all on the external disc, then this should work, provided that when you start using the "new" laptop, and you install iTunes, the laptop assigns the same drive letter to the external HD.

So... they are located on my local drive and the external HD. Yes, when I start using the new biggrin.gif laptop (which I will first re format) I will point iTunes to the external Hard Drive initially and then do the Consolidate Library thing onto the Lappy. So that is the question... will this work? Give me all of it on the Lappy? Playlists, Music et all?
deewani
I think that in the end, if you copy the iTunes folder. And you put the files in the same places they are now, in other words, the ext ones on the ext, and the ones that were on your computer to the new laptop, and the drive letters are all still the same, it should still work, if you recreate your library. Since you use the "consolidate library" function, then your iTunes folder must be full of your music files as well - I think I remember you posting you let iTunes arrange your music, so if that's the case that would be true. It's probably a good idea to consolidate once again pointing to your external, as you said. The only thing is, if all the files are on the external, you can recreate your playlists etc, easily. But if you start moving files onto the other laptop, and delete from external then you will have those exclamation points next to the files indicating they are not there anymore (where they wer) and you will have to throw them into the appropriate playlists again. Did that make sense?

Personally I've been looking for a good way to easily edit the xml of the library so that I can switch drive letters easily, if I ever pursue that will post about it. But the most impt thing is the copy of those 2 files I mentioned before.

Nidhi
Hi, Sorry to intrude. I presume there could be a simpler way of doing all this, if you have a software called 'Ipod access for windows'. With this you could connect any IPOD to any PC/Laptop, copy all the songs to Itunes, copy all the playlists, back up to your Itunes folder etc.
deewani
QUOTE(Nidhi @ Jul 18 2007, 11:57 PM) *
Hi, Sorry to intrude. I presume there could be a simpler way of doing all this, if you have a software called 'Ipod access for windows'. With this you could connect any IPOD to any PC/Laptop, copy all the songs to Itunes, copy all the playlists, back up to your Itunes folder etc.

You are not intruding. Good to see others participating.

That would hold only if your library is smaller than what? 70-something GB assuming one has the 80GB iPod. That's to back up from iPod, we are talking about backing up music on HARD DRIVES. So it's a great idea if the library is under the formated size of a windows 80gb iPod, and one owns that iPod. smile.gif Look into that T, if that's the case. If your entire library can fit on your iPod, tis worth a try before you wipe the older pc clean.

BTW, iTunes can also do that now (they added this feature when 7 was released): How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Talaikya
QUOTE(deewani @ Jul 19 2007, 02:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Jul 18 2007, 11:57 PM) *

You are not intruding. Good to see others participating.

Ditto!! smile1.gif

Ok that's a whole lot of fodder for action, will look into all of it before I finally decide the route to take. However, if merely pointing the s/w to the external HDD and then in turn "Consolidating Library" to the Lappy works then that's my 1st choice, because no - all of my library isn't on the iPod, even though it's still under the 30GB size. (I should've waited for the 80GB eh? tongue1.gif)

My older PC will be wiped clean only once the new system is in place.

iTunes is cool eh?? biggrin.gif

deewani
Nidhi had a fantastic idea there, I don't even consider that b/c of the size of my library. ph34r.gif If your library will fit on the 30 gig, try that. smile.gif
Talaikya
Ummmm goodness, you guys must be drowning in music... or better still... swimming!!

I would have considered Nidhi's idea, but for the fact I don't want the entire library on the iPod. It's just 30 GB, so I don't want to clutter it with multiple copies, unorganised and avoidable music.

Still if all else gets too messy, that will be the first option.
HumTum
QUOTE(deewani @ Jul 20 2007, 10:37 AM) *
Nidhi had a fantastic idea there, I don't even consider that b/c of the size of my library. ph34r.gif If your library will fit on the 30 gig, try that. smile.gif

I was indeed going to ask about this. It is indeed a catch 22 situation. blink.gif
deewani
T, how about treading water? Lol, neither drowning nor swimming, right in between because it does not get entered into the library until I've listened to it and tagged it, and I don't mean jhalak, I mean really listen, lol, and that's where the iPod comes in. Always ahead in listening, behind in tagging.

HT you asking the size? LOL, the clues are on the pages of HF. ph34r.gif Suffice it to say it won't fit on my 80GB.
HumTum
laugh.gif No sis, I am talking about wanting to take a backup of a huge sized library.

I am facing a similar problem - large no. of files in the library. ninja.gif
deewani
QUOTE(HumTum @ Jul 21 2007, 12:01 AM) *
laugh.gif No sis, I am talking about wanting to take a backup of a huge sized library.

I am facing a similar problem - large no. of files in the library. ninja.gif

Well the back up in itself is really simple, what's the catch 22 situation? It went over my head. IPB Image The more difficult part is retaining library settings depending on what software you use to organize the files on your pc, we were trying to maintain our precious playlists. External HD's have dropped much in price, sale prices often reach the 25 cents a GB mark here. DVDs come out to about 25 cents a piece too on a good sale, so that's about 6 cents a GB to back up but more tedious for larger collections.
deewani
iTunes 7.7 came out few days ago to support the new iPhones. Some folks are having trouble with the install hanging (thankfully not me). So if you want to be safe and make sure you don't lose your playlists and their settings, do a simple backup before updating (this back up feature was introduced with iTunes 7.0).

In iTunes, go to File --> Back Up To Disc, and you'll see this picture

IPB Image
IPB Image

Since I use an external drive to backup my music, I don't want to burn that to CD or DVD, so I just chose option number 2: "Back up only iTunes Store purchases" - this will work even if you have not bought anything from the iTunes Store. You will need only a CD in that case, if you've bought music, movies, tv shows, and games, you will likely need one or two DVDs, depending on the amount.

What this does is create a backup restore disc for your library and playlists, so even if your computer crashes, you can restore iTunes just the way you had set it up, along with the playlists that are so dear, just copy the music back to the same directories as before, launch iTunes, and insert the disc to start the backup process - I've used this several times over the last year, works like a charm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.