Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classical Songs In Movies
Hamara Forums > Music > Raag Rang
Pages: 1, 2, 3
waqas
I would like to request a thread on classical based songs in movies.

movies had given some great classical pieces.

To start with I would request a personal favourite from Baija Bawra
by Naushad.
"aj gawat man mero".

I am loading one of my personal favorite.

Click to view attachment
peace.
hits
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 15 2005, 10:43 PM)

To start with I would request a  personal favourite from Baija Bawra
by Naushad.
"aj gawat man mero".

Click to view attachment
peace.

Jhananana Jhan Jhananana Jhan - Rafi, Lata - Rani Roopmati - 1957 - Bharat Bhushan, Nirupa Roy
waqas
Here goes the next song.

I have no information on this song. But it is a beautiful pice. Notice how
high rafi goes in the end.
Click to view attachment

Does any one know who the other singer is? is this piece in some raag. what is the taal of the song. I can't recognise raags and taals.

And I am still waiting for my song and other people to download other songs.
Waqas
anurag
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 16 2005, 12:43 AM)
by Naushad.
"aj gawat man mero".

Click to view attachment
peace.

Waqas, here it is in the voice of Amir Khan and DV Paluskar in Raag Des.

And, in case you are wondering why people have n't downloaded your songs, then try to upload them at least in 128 kbps 44 kHz and you'd see those download counts go up in no time. wink2.gif

Jokes apart, a 32/64 kbps mp3 is well accepted to be a poor quality one, devoid of any highs or lows. So, there!
waqas
Hay anurag.
I got these from the internet and that is how the songs were.
Is there a way I can increase quality?
Thanks for the song.
Mandrake
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 16 2005, 10:13 AM)

by Naushad.
"aj gawat man mero".

Click to view attachment
peace.

Hey Waqas, I've been waiting for such a thread smile1.gif But since we are talking of songs with a classical base, shouldn't the u/l also mention the raag? Let us see what comes of this rolleyes.gif

Regards
Mandrake
Mandrake
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 21 2005, 10:11 AM)
Hay anurag.
Thanks for the song.

You can use a software like CoolEdit or Goldwave (downloadable from the net) or any such editor. Open the song in it, and click on 'save as...'. You'll get options. Select 128 kbps, 144 MHz, stereo, or whatever you wish.
Remember, the file size grows typically to 4 to 5 Mb.

Regards
Mandrake
bye.gif
anurag
waqas and Mandrake

If you already have an mp3 file (or, any lossy compressed file) of a certain quality (characterised by its bitrate and frequency) then you can't do anything about increasing its quality. You can only downgrade.

For more details on how this works, read this primer that I wrote some time ago and also read the question that Unni asked for more clarification:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...indpost&p=50769

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Apr 21 2005, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 21 2005, 10:11 AM)
Hay anurag.
Thanks for the song.

You can use a software like CoolEdit or Goldwave (downloadable from the net) or any such editor. Open the song in it, and click on 'save as...'. You'll get options. Select 128 kbps, 144 MHz, stereo, or whatever you wish.
Remember, the file size grows typically to 4 to 5 Mb.

Regards
Mandrake
bye.gif

anilkumar

..............................................................................................
Enhanced version of

Baat chalat nayi chunari rang daaree re

Jugalbandi in Raag Bhairavi by Krishnarao Chonkar & Rafi

Film Rani Roopmati (1959)

Geet - Bharat Vyas, Music-SNTripathi

Based on a bandish by Kunwar Shyam Goswami Lalji Maharaj (d.1911)

..................................................................................................

Chitralekha
Hey W, did you want all the songs? A while back I remember making a thread for the songs I have in one tape. I will have to look for this thread, if you want list of about 20 songs. But... Sudeeep audio is one site that can help here a lot. Check it out: http://www.sudeepaudio.com/filmsongs.htm
anilkumar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same song "Baat chalat nayi chunari rang daaree re"

in Geeta Dutt's voice from Film Ladki (1953)

Geet - Rajendra Krishn, Mus R. Sudarshanam

has been uploaded at newly formed Geeta Dutt Forum

at the URL below -

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...t=240&p=85959&#

- A
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

waqas
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Apr 21 2005, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 16 2005, 10:13 AM)

by Naushad.
"aj gawat man mero".

Click to view attachment
peace.

Hey Waqas, I've been waiting for such a thread smile1.gif But since we are talking of songs with a classical base, shouldn't the u/l also mention the raag? Let us see what comes of this rolleyes.gif

Regards
Mandrake

Yes definately, a mention of the raag is essential. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with classical. I can't recongnize a raag by listening to the song.
But u r right. Also the taal should be mention.
However sometimes a songs may not be exactly in a raag. it may be classical becuase of the taal or may be in more than one raag.
But i guess there would be enough experts on this forum.
Waqas.
waqas
QUOTE(anilkumar @ Apr 22 2005, 09:10 AM)

The same song "Baat chalat nayi chunari rang daaree re"

in Geeta Dutt's voice from Film Ladki (1953)

Geet - Rajendra Krishn, Mus  R. Sudarshanam

has been uploaded at newly formed Geeta Dutt Forum

at the URL below -

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...t=240&p=85959&#

- A

Thank u Anil Kumar sahib.
The geeta dutt version was very good. although less classical and less difficult
but it had the element of sorrow. I alway enjoy sad songs more.
Thank u
peace.
waqas
hay every body.
here is another classical movie song.
I have no information on this other than this is
beautiful piece by lata in which lata shows her classical
expertise. I think this one is in teentaal, i.e 16 beat. no idea about the raag.Click to view attachment

here it is.
peace
Mandrake
Manamohana bade jhoote - raag Jaijaiwanti
Jhan jhan jhan baaje payaliya - raag Sarang
Baat chalat nai - raag Bhairavi

As you correctly said, usually the raag is not in its pure form, but retains enough of its structure for identification. So film songs are usually understood to be in 'mishra' (mixed) form of raags.

Mandrake
aahat
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 22 2005, 10:16 AM)
hay every body.
expertise.  I think this one is in teentaal, i.e 16 beat. no idea about the raag.Click to view attachment

here it is.
peace

Another mp3 for the same. Courtesy HF. smile1.gif
Bawra Jay
I know I dont belong here... this is way too heavy stuff for me to digest.... no matter how hard I try I kinda get lost in this VISHAAL world of Raagas and music..... Even though I cant identify too much of this raags and gharanas , I have some good classical songs from movie CDs... and wants to know if anyone knows about this particular song I sort of like a lot... Aaye surke panchi aaye.... Its by Pt. Rajan and Sajan Mishra... ... Any clue on the movie name ? or What raaga this would fall under ?
bibhas
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Apr 22 2005, 11:42 AM)
I know I dont belong here... this is way too heavy stuff for me to digest.... no matter how hard I try I kinda get lost in this VISHAAL world of Raagas and music.....  Even though I cant identify too much of this raags and gharanas , I have some good classical songs from movie CDs... and wants to know if anyone knows about this particular song I sort of like a lot... Aaye surke panchi aaye.... Its by Pt. Rajan and Sajan Mishra... ... Any clue on the movie name ? or What raaga this would fall under ?

BJ Bhai,
I think it's from Sur Sangam (remake of the telugu hit, Shankarabharanam). I haven't heard the song in a very long time but if memory serves me right, it is in Raag Malkauns. The most famous song in this raga is "Man Tarpat Hari Darshan Ko aaj". Notice any similarities?

Bibhas
unni
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 22 2005, 12:12 PM)
BJ Bhai,
    I think it's from Sur Sangam (remake of the telugu hit, Shankarabharanam). I haven't heard the song in a very long time but if memory serves me right, it is in Raag Malkauns. The most famous song in this raga is "Man Tarpat Hari Darshan Ko aaj". Notice any similarities?

Bibhas

Yes, "SUR SANGAM". The alaap sounds similar to me. Here's a copy of an upload not too far back:

Click to view attachment

hits
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 21 2005, 10:46 PM)
hay every body.
expertise.  I think this one is in teentaal, i.e 16 beat. no idea about the raag.
man_mohana_barday_jhotay.rar ( 945.86k )
here it is.
peace

Man Mohana Bade Jhoothe - Lata - Seema - 1955 - Nutan
hits
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 22 2005, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Apr 22 2005, 11:42 AM)
I know I dont belong here... this is way too heavy stuff for me to digest.... no matter how hard I try I kinda get lost in this VISHAAL world of Raagas and music.....  Even though I cant identify too much of this raags and gharanas , I have some good classical songs from movie CDs... and wants to know if anyone knows about this particular song I sort of like a lot... Aaye surke panchi aaye.... Its by Pt. Rajan and Sajan Mishra... ... Any clue on the movie name ? or What raaga this would fall under ?

BJ Bhai,

Bibhas

A very powerful Raag, Bibhas.....a very powerful one indeed.
bibhas
QUOTE(hits @ Apr 23 2005, 01:12 AM)

I agree Hits, Malkauns has the power to possess one for days, weeks and months on end and take the listener to musical nirvana ! I have this Malkauns recital by (who else ?) Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and I used to play it so often that I made several copies of it for the fear of ruining the tape by over-use. I recently laid my hands on its digital version, anyone interested?
Bibhas
unni
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 24 2005, 11:51 AM)

I agree Hits, Malkauns has the power to possess one for days, weeks and months on end and take the listener to musical nirvana ! I have this Malkauns recital by (who else ?) Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and I used to play it so often that I made several copies of it for the fear of ruining the tape by over-use. I recently laid my hands on its digital version, anyone interested?
Bibhas

This is my favourite among the raags performed by Pt. Hariprasad. I have two recordings, one with the customary tabla accompaniment, the other being entirely a solo for the entire duration. If you don't have either of these, would be happy to upload. Just let me know.
Chitralekha
Yes Bibhas, can you please upload it at your leisure? I cant wait to listen to it.
bibhas
QUOTE(unni @ Apr 24 2005, 12:10 PM)

This is my favourite among the raags performed by Pt. Hariprasad. I have two recordings, one with the customary tabla accompaniment, the other being entirely a solo for the entire duration. If you don't have either of these, would be happy to upload. Just let me know.

Unni, I have the conventional alaap and gat format, 29:56 long. I'll upload it soon and you can upload the other.
bibhas
Boy, Am I glad HF is back up. I missed it while it was down. I am still unable to upload anything. Will upload the Malkauns once we're over the glitches.
bibhas
I've uploaded Hariji's Malkauns in Kachcha Dhaaga here:
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...indpost&p=86691
Mandrake
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 26 2005, 11:21 PM)
I've uploaded Hariji's Malkauns in Kachcha Dhaaga here:
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...indpost&p=86691

Bibhas-ji and Unni-ji,
With due respect, isn't this thread "classical songs in movies"? U r u/l-ing pure classical music. Shouldn't that go to a different thread?
Or have I not understood the methods of this forum? Pls guide me as I am new here.

Mandrake blab.gif
extenok
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 24 2005, 09:21 PM)

Bibhas

Some would say that for Raag Darbari. wink2.gif

But I'm sure that if you like it so much, the rendition must be out of this world.

unni
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Apr 27 2005, 06:05 AM)
Bibhas-ji and Unni-ji,
  With due respect, isn't this thread "classical songs in movies"? U r u/l-ing pure classical music. Shouldn't that go to a different thread?
Or have I not understood the methods of this forum? Pls guide me as I am new here.

Mandrake blab.gif

But no pure-classical has been uploaded in this thread. All the songs were from films. Bibhas only provided a URL to an upoad in Raag Rang. But, you're right. As far as possible, even discussions in this thread should pertain to classical music from films.
bibhas
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Apr 27 2005, 06:05 AM)
Bibhas-ji and Unni-ji,

Mandrake blab.gif

Mandrake-ji,
I agree with you on posting relevant material in the right thread. However, since this thread is about classical songs in movies, discussion about the raaga is relevant. IMHO, the reason why this thread is in Raag rang and not SKS or other forums is so that we could have some discussion about the classical aspects of the movie song in question. For many of us, classical songs in movies are a wonderful place to start learning to appreciate the finer features of raagas, their emotional as well as technical elements. My reference to Hariji's Malkauns was to highlight what Malkauns can do to the listener once he/she has been primed with the movie songs discussed- a natural next step in raaga appreciation. As Unni pointed out, the actual upload itself of the Malkauns recital was in a different thread, I simply posted a link so that continuity between discussion and uploads could be maintained.
regards
Bibhas
bibhas
QUOTE(extenok @ Apr 27 2005, 06:11 AM)

Some would say that for Raag Darbari.  wink2.gif

But I'm sure that if you like it so much, the rendition must be out of this world.

Imran Sahab,
I think it's a matter of personal taste and what rendition you've heard. For me, Malkauns is right up there with Darbari, Bibhas (Bhairav Thaat version), Mian-ki-Malhar, Puriya Kalyan and many more.

Since you brought up Darbari (and since it's about time we got back to film songs), here is Manna Dey's wonderful song in Darbari. For me, this one and Ghantasaala's telugu song "Shivashankari" are the essence of Darbari outside the realm of pure classical.

Bibhas
waqas
hay Guy!
I haven't been on the forum lately, busy with the exams.
Any way! Bhibhas is right. it is a matter of personal taste.
I like Malkauns too. But I too prefer Darbari(over anything).
That malkauns by Hari Prasad was special.
I like bansuri too much. I like to play my self. Its another thing that I suck
big time at it. smile1.gif
and that Darbari from Manna Dey is very good.
Thank u all for contribution.

waqas
hay Guy!
I haven't been on the forum lately, busy with the exams.
Any way! Bhibhas is right. it is a matter of personal taste.
I like Malkauns too. But I too prefer Darbari(over anything).
That malkauns by Hari Prasad was special.
I like bansuri too much. I like to play my self. Its another thing that I suck
big time at it. smile1.gif
and that Darbari from Manna Dey is very good.
Thank u all for contribution.

waqas
here is a beautiful piece by lata.
I dare not make an attemp to state
the raag of the song.
Click to view attachment

Enjoy this beautiful track.
if any one has information on this one. Please supply.
I bet "Hits" knows the information on this song. He has information
of everything.
waqas
Please go to the following to dowload
my most favorite classical songs.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10326

man mohan main main" is in raag adana.

don't know about the other one.
Mandrake
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 28 2005, 10:57 AM)

The other one "kaise samjhaoon basi nasamajh ho" is in raag bhairavi.

Incidentally, I downloaded it twice but I get a "file corrupt" message.
Is anyone else also getting the same message, or is there a problem at my end?
Mandrake
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 27 2005, 10:11 PM)

Mandrake-ji,
      I agree with you on posting relevant material in the right thread. However, since this thread is about classical songs in movies, discussion about the raaga is relevant. IMHO, the reason why this thread is in Raag rang and not SKS or other forums is so that we could have some discussion about the classical aspects of the movie song in question. For many of us, classical songs in movies are a wonderful place to start learning to appreciate the finer features of raagas, their emotional as well as technical elements. My reference to Hariji's Malkauns was to highlight what Malkauns can do to the listener once he/she has been primed with the movie songs discussed- a natural next step in raaga appreciation. As Unni pointed out, the actual upload itself of the Malkauns recital was in a different thread, I simply posted a link so that continuity between discussion and uploads could be maintained.
regards
Bibhas

Point noted, Bibhas-ji, I agree with you on the discussion part fully. I too learnt most of my classical understanding chiefly due to film music. In fact, I would ask to discuss such points as which song falls under Yaman and which under Yamankalyan, and such similar things that tell us more about song compositions in different raags.
Thanx for the explanation.

Mandrake
extenok
QUOTE(bibhas @ Apr 27 2005, 11:04 PM)
Imran Sahab,
I think it's a matter of personal taste and what rendition you've heard. For me, Malkauns is right up there with Darbari, Bibhas (Bhairav Thaat version), Mian-ki-Malhar, Puriya Kalyan and many more.

Since you brought up Darbari (and since it's about time we got back to film songs), here is Manna Dey's wonderful song in Darbari. For me, this one and Ghantasaala's telugu song "Shivashankari" are the essence of Darbari outside the realm of pure classical.

Bibhas

I agree, personal taste & some other variables play a role in determining what we tend to like & dislike in general life. I think music isn't treated any differently by our discerning musical palate.

I have to admit that I'm not knowledgeable about raags as some others here. I listen to recommendations from members & have developed a liking for Yaman Kalyan & Bhairavi. Raag Darbari has been my favourite before I even started frequenting this area of HF. I guess without the knowledge of what one's listening to, they can enjoy the composition. But to understand & appreciate the finer points of classical music, a little bit of understanding of the fundamentals helps.

I am sorry to say that I don't recall having heard Bibhas (Bhairav Thaat version) which you have fashioned your forum-nick after. I shall have to dig up all those old recommendations and search for it, someone might've uploaded it.

P.S Manna Dey's Darbari rendition is amazing, yet for me, reminiscent of 'Oh Dunya Ke Rakhwale'. Still, it holds its own special place in my music collection.
bibhas
QUOTE(extenok @ Apr 28 2005, 07:40 AM)

I am sorry to say that I don't recall having heard Bibhas (Bhairav Thaat version) which you have fashioned your forum-nick after. I shall have to dig up all those old recommendations and search for it, someone might've uploaded it.

Imran sahab,
Bhairav thaat Bibhas (aka Vibhas) is an exquisite melody heard as the first rays of sun warm the earth. For reasons beyond my comprehension, it's not very popular in either HFM or in Hindustani classical for that matter. An example of this raag in HFM is Suresh Wadkar's "Saanjh Dhale Gagan Taley" ( I can u/l this if you haven't heard it, I also have a very beautiful Telugu song in this raga) from Utsav. It's ironic that Laxmikant Pyarelal chose a dawn raga for a song that starts off "Sanjh Dhale" but I am glad they did !

There are three versions of Bibhas in Hindustani Shastriya Sangeet - Marwa Thaat version, Poorvi Thaat Version and Bhairav Thaat version. Of these, the Marwa thaat version is the most popular (but least melodious IMHO) and most commercially available recordings of Bibhas are of this version. There are very few commercially available recordings of Bhairav thaat version, of these my favorite is Malini Rajurkar's "Piya Tum Wahin Jao". There is also short but beautiful pieces by D.V.Paluskar and Roshanara Begum (available for listening at www.sarangi.info).

My liking for Bibhas actually originated from its popularty in Carnatic Music (where the raga is known as Bhoopaalam) and I used to hear it often on AIR's morning programs. After I started listening to Hindustani music, I was always in search for the hindustani avatar of Bhoopaalam and one day my guruji played Bhairav thaat Bibhas for me and that was it ! I fell in love with it !

Bibhas
waqas
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Apr 28 2005, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 28 2005, 10:57 AM)

The other one "kaise samjhaoon basi nasamajh ho" is in raag bhairavi.

Incidentally, I downloaded it twice but I get a "file corrupt" message.
Is anyone else also getting the same message, or is there a problem at my end?

it worked for me.
anilkumar
The song "Ghayal Hiraniya main" - Lata

is from Film Munimji (1955) -
Geet Sahir, Music by S D Burman
Raga Kafi

-Anilkumar

QUOTE(waqas @ Apr 28 2005, 10:20 AM)
....... Click to view attachment
if any one has information on this one. Please supply.

waqas
thank u anilkumar sahib.
Come on people. This thread is dying.
I need input. Please post songs and discuss them.
aahat
The problem is that though I am very interested in this issue, there are just too many songs based on raagas. I have no clue what to do, and worse, I have no knowledge of classical music itself. But if it's ok with you then I'll u/l a song of my liking and keep quite. tongue.gif

waqas
Hay aahat!
I am not sure if this song qulifies as a classical song.
I think people in this forum with better knowledge of classical would
be able to make a just coment.

Nevertheless, this song is one of my favorites(sad songs being always
appealing to me) and I did not have it.
thanks to u I have it now.
aahat
QUOTE(waqas @ May 1 2005, 11:06 AM)
Hay aahat!
I am not sure if this song qulifies as a classical song.
I think people in this forum with better knowledge of classical would
be able to make a just coment.

Nevertheless, this song is one of my favorites(sad songs being always
appealing to me) and I did not have it.
thanks to u I have it now.

Ok, this is a small sponsored clarification. wink2.gif
Naushad wore his Bhaiavi as a badge when he  composed some thing like Do hanson ka joda bichchad gayo re to go on Vyjayanthimala in "Ganga Jamuna". Madan Mohan, by contrast, had the gift of being able to make the raag sound secondary as he came over, in the same Bhairavi, on "Anpadh" Mala Sinha as: Hai isi mein pyaar ki aabroo. This Lataised Bhairavi was something Naushad personally identified on TV  as a dimension of the raag’s exploitation he envied.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/~sm0e/R-madanMohan.txt

Also check: http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?act=...st=0#entry87775
Mandrake
I need help guys!! I am new here. I have twice tried to upload songs here (including today morning) and failed. I select a song, click in 'Add this Attachment' and wait. A few minutes later, I get the message 'cannot find the page' (which I guess should be the HF website). Clicking on 'back', refresh' doesn't help. I am on dial-up.

I want this thread to really keep going. And not by just writing in, but u/l-ing.

Pls help, admin and others.
aahat
You cann't u/l mp3s. zip them or rar them and then u/l. Guess this is the problem.
Mandrake
QUOTE(aahat @ May 1 2005, 12:06 PM)
You cann't u/l mp3s. zip them or rar them and then u/l. Guess this is the problem.

Yes I know that. Tried zips and rars both. Same result. Is there a time-limit to upload a file?
bibhas
QUOTE(aahat @ May 1 2005, 02:36 AM)

Lately, only uploads of files <9MB are working. If your files are smaller than this, then send a PM to Pradeep to see what the problem is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.