Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Season Begins !
Hamara Forums > General > Sports > Cricket
Akhtar
Cricket season has finally kicked off here in UK.

We had our first game to day - albeit a warm up. I batted at four, and me and my freind added 47 in the last three overs of the innings, I made 27(10 balls)*, and my freind was out for 22 (8 balls)of the last ball.

We were defending a total of 119 (20 ovs), which really should have been much lower. I only bowled one over, and took one wicket. I also took a catch. In the end we won pretty comfortably, by 42 runs.

How are your seasons going ? Any interesting stories out there ?
jayant
By the way wht tournament do u guys play in uk?in which county?what grade?
wht do u do?r u an allrounder/or a bat who can bowl/or a bwlr who can bat?
js
Akhtar
Well I play in the Middlesex Colts League, and for my school in the Middlesex Schools Cup. Im an opener who occasionaly bowls.u ?
jayant
if u r still in school i am double ur age who used to bowl off spin and hit some lusty blows in the middle.
js
QUOTE(Akhtar @ Apr 20 2005, 11:41 AM)
Well I play in the Middlesex Colts League, and for my school in the Middlesex Schools Cup. Im an opener who occasionaly bowls.u ?

rom
Akthar himself seems capable of some lusty blows, judging from his report of the match... And I too would be double Akhtar's age. Used to bowl medium-pace and occassional leg spin, and bat somewhat like Jayant. Batting technique wasn't great, so my runs mainly came off pulls... few straight drives. Off-side play was bad. No formal coaching, so learnt about the googly too late... around the time I stopped playing.
Akhtar, do keep us informed about your game and your matches!
anurag
Everyone is talking about their cricket days. Yoohoo...

In my halcyon days until +2, I played cricket at city level. I was captain of my team, opened batting, did some leg spin bowling (often chucked! tongue.gif ), and also at times did wicket keeping for a long time before becoming captain. I still remember a semi-final match in which as a wicket keeper, I pulled off some great stumpings, caught 4 batsmen, and also effected a run out.

Come summer vacations, and we'd be out of the house, while doodh-wallahs in the cities were still getting ready to milk their bhains at 4 in the morning. We'd water the pitch and toss would be done by the time sun had spread its wings just enough for us to see the ball.

Our parents cursed that we never got up that early ever during school days. tongue.gif

Oh mahn! I miss those days.
iqbal
QUOTE(Akhtar @ Apr 13 2005, 06:06 PM)

We had our first game to day - albeit a warm up. I batted at four, and me and my freind added 47 in the last three overs of the innings, I made 27(10 balls)*, and my freind was out for 22 (8 balls)of the last ball.

We were defending a total of 119 (20 ovs), which really should have been much lower. I only bowled one over, and took one wicket. I also took a catch. In the end we won pretty comfortably, by 42 runs.

Well done Akhtar, clap1.gif

Surely you must been the man of the match for that performance.

I’m surprised you managed to play a whole match and not been a washout, it’s been raining up here in the north nearly everyday! sad1.gif

I myself used to open the innings too.

rom
Good idea! Guys, do share memories about your cricket-playing days... I happen to know that one illustrious member of HF is a very capable cricketer. I hope he'd share his memories too!
Akhtar
QUOTE(iqbal @ Apr 20 2005, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE(Akhtar @ Apr 13 2005, 06:06 PM)

Well done Akhtar, clap1.gif

Surely you must been the man of the match for that performance.

I’m surprised you managed to play a whole match and not been a washout, it’s been raining up here in the north nearly everyday! sad1.gif

I myself used to open the innings too.

Nah...one chap took 4 wickets, he was man of the match. The weather has been pretty decent down here in London, but our match was rained off yesterday. Am playing next week (27 Apr) in a cup match. Will keep y'all posted.
princeali
Well done Akhtar bro, keep up the good playing thumbs-up.gif

Good discussion guys on your cricketing memories.

Over here in Toronto, my league starts around the middle of May. I'm a left handed batsman, usually coming one-down, though I have opened on some occasions, and I'm a right-arm medium pacer tongue.gif though my bowling has to improve. The last time I played competitive cricket was last year and in that match I scored 47 and took a wicket, hopefully this year will be a good year.

There's not that many cricket clubs over here, as the sport is not as popular as say basketball, baseball or for that matter ice hockey.

We used to have India and Pakistan come down for the Sahara Cup a few years ago, but they stopped when they were not playing matches due to the political tension. Now since they have resumed playing again, it would be nice to see them come back down again.
Akhtar
It rained so we had the game indoors. We lost, but since it was indoors it didnt really count. We collapsed from 56-0 to 114 a/o. I made a handy 48, but it was in vain.

The other team knocked the runs off in about 15 ovs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.