Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amit Kumar Interview
Hamara Forums > Music > Singers
vivekpm
http://ww1.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/april/106719.htm

The 52-year old son of the late Kishore Kumar, Amit, is today married with a three-month old daughter, Muktika, and a ten-year old stepdaughter, Vrinda. We caught up with the singer who never got his dues, even though he is immensely talented.

Though his voice is a replica of his famous father’s, filmmakers prefer poor copies like Babul Supriyo and Kumar Sanu.

Filmi politics and thriving competition drove the reclusive singer into a life of oblivion. Now, the singer is happy doing live shows and albums.

We catch the reclusive singer in a rare tête-à-tête:

When did you get married?
On June 24, 2003. Rima is a singer by profession and has sung for my album Le Chalo, which I shall be releasing on my dad’s birthday, August 4. We have a daughter called Muktika (born on December 31, 2004); her name means a wet pearl.

Le Chalo is an album based on my relationship with father. Now I want to do an album today on my relationship with my daughter Muktika.

Was it a love marriage?
Yes. I met Rima during a stage show in 1990 in Assam, where she was performing too. But we fell in love in 1996-97 during a country tour. We were doing shows together and soon the friendship turned into love.

But she was married then. Reema got divorced four years ago. We faced some turbulent times then and there was some tension, but everything is fine today. Rima’s husband and I are friends today.

Why have you shifted out of your father’s bungalow?
Because there is renovation work going on there. We have leased the ground floor out to an NRI lady who is opening the Serenity Salon there. We are getting good money.

The bungalow is in the name of Sumit Kumar’s trust, of which I am the main trustee. Leenaji (Chandavarkar , Amit’s step-mother) has helped me a lot in this. I am extremely attached to the bungalow. It is like a temple to me; it’s where I was born. On Monday, we all go for the Shiva puja at the temple on top of the bungalow.

Did you move out because of problems with Leena and her son Sumit?
No. That’s rubbish. Kuch toh log kahenge, logon ka kaam hai kehna. In fact, Leenaji has written the lyrics of Le Chalo and Sumit has arranged the music with Richard-Kashi.

Sumit is a part of my stage shows. Today, we are leaving for a show in Jamnagar. We keep shuttling between Kandivali, Juhu and Bandra (where Sumit and Chandavarkar stay).

You never got your dues from Bollywood. Comment.
I don’t hate Bollywood. I got disillusioned. Though I have given many hits here, I have opted out of the rat race. There is too much politics here.

My father had once told me that to survive here you have to wear a mask and I can’t do that. I am too old to indulge in that. I would rather sit at home. I am happy with my shows. But I would like to direct the music for a film because I love composing.

Cheers,
iqbal

Thanks for the article Vivek,

Can anyone remember the name of the musical show Amit used to host a few years back and who was the female co-presenter ?

Thanks
Iqbal

iqbal

This is really bugging me now, surely Guru fans will know this.

shabbirkumar786
QUOTE(iqbal @ Apr 5 2005, 03:33 PM) *

Thanks for the article Vivek,

Can anyone remember the name of the musical show Amit used to host a few years back and who was the female co-presenter ?

Thanks
Iqbal

the amit kumar show on zee tv.

yoodle-e-hoo.

amit was awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.