Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

"papa"

, BY: NALINI MUKESH MATHUR

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "papa", BY: NALINI MUKESH MATHUR
vivek
post Dec 4 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 26215

dear all,
i went through a nice artical a few days ago and going to share with u. this is written by nalini mathur (mukesh's daughter):
smile:

'Papa' By : Nalini Mukesh Mathur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The name 'Mukesh' to most people conjures up the image of a great singer; a greater human being. But to me it means- " Papa ". When I was asked to write about him, a millions incidents rushed to my minds. I can write a book on him. I thought. When I actually sat down to put my experiences and memories on paper, I failed .
It is always difficult to write about someone you have loved ; adored ; in the past tense, when that someone is also a renowned name, on whom thousands of words have already been written the going gets more difficult. Either the write up is too personal and reeking sentimentality or cold and superficial.

So after days to trying to write on him and failing miserably, I picked these pictures from the family albums and decided to write around them
Let see !

Attached Image

This photograph (1946) was taken immediately after their wedding , which took place in a temple in a Kandiwali , at the residence of Mr. R.D. Mathur.)

His marriage. He from a middle class family of the kayastha community. She a loved daughter of millionaire Gujarati Brahmins. Hardly a suitable match ! Especially with him having him no proper house, an erratic in-come and a " immoral " profession ! So thought her family. Thus Mukesh and Sarla eloped.

Everyone made dire predictions of unhappy days and divorce; but both weathered the' lean days and celebrated their thirtieth wedding anniversary on the 22nd July,1976 five days before his departure for the U.S.A. on 27th July,1976.

Attached Image
( This photograph (1952) was taken when she came from Delhi to visit him. Mukesh flanked by his wife Sarla and mother Chand Rani. On his lap are the first two of his five children ,daughter Rita and son Nitin.)

Mukesh earliest memories were of his mother. He worshiped her. She was always there as a great inspiration to him and even after she died in 1960,in the greatest as well as gravest moments of his life, he thought of her ; called out to her. Amongst his last thoughts and words was his " BAUAA "

Attached Image
( That's him looks like an actor, doesn't he ? )
Mukesh came to Bombay in 1940 not to be a playback singer but to be an actor. His acting career was utter flop, but in the process he became an extremely successful singer. Then again in the early fifties he got the " actingbug ".This time he produce a film 'Anurag' starring Usha Kiran, Mridulla, and himself. The film ran into financial difficulties and was never released. Yet the songs of the film, which he composed himself. are evergreen and sung till to-day.

Attached Image
( In this memorable picture taken at the recording of Jis Desh Mein Ganga Bahti Hai , " Hum Bhi Hain Tum Bhin Ho" seated from left to right are singers Geeta Dutt, Lata Mangeshkar, Manna Dey, Mahendra Kapoor and Mukesh. Standing from left to right are Shankar, Raj Kapoor, Recordist Minoo Kartak and Jaikishan. )

His association with Raj Kapoor started in 1946. In on interview on television in Mauritius, Mukesh laughingly called it " Love at first sight !" They shared a unique bond which cannot describe very well on paper. The world know them as ' Body and the soul '. His genial temperament won him the respect and love of all his colleagues.

Papa was known to be on unassuming and humble man. The following incident proves it. He often went abroad to perform and on one such trip Nitin and I both accompanied him to Mauritius . As we deplaned at the airport, a massive crowd broke into cheers and television camera whirred. Nitin turned to him asked, " Papa why are there so many people ? " The very innocent reply was , " I don't know but must be some minister or dignitary arriving ! " Well, they were there to receive him !

Attached Image
( This picture was taken at the town hall show in Mauritius where a hundred thousand people collected to see him sing. " Aawara Hoon " he sang and the entire sea of people danced to his singing. Left to right Nitin ,Nalini and Mukesh,)
A few days before his departure for the U.S.A. my parents celebrated their 'Pearl Anniversary' - thirty years of married life. We had a small get together with close friends and colleagues. A day before that, he had heard his song for ' Satyam Shivam Sudaram ' for the first time, Now that is one song which grows on you. It's not one that hits you the first time you hear it. But he loved instantly. At the party he received a phone call from Anand Bakshi who called to apologies for not coming." BakshiSab, " he said ,' Aapko sau khoon maaf,' you have written a master piece ! Its going to be a song which people will remember for generations to come.

How prophetic those words were ! It was the last song he ever recorded.

Attached Image

( Mukesh (1976) speaking on the phone with Anand Bakshi )

KHARA HAI DARD KA RISHTA TO FIR JUDAI KYA,
JUDA TO HOTE HAI WO KHOT JINKI CHAH ME HAI.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aryanraj
post Jan 13 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 37674

really very great sharing dude, I am surprised abt this why no one have commented on this post.

I m very to see this post

Zindagi to bewfa hai ek din thukrayegi
Maut mahbooba hai sath lekar jayegi
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Jan 13 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

Now..am so happy to have found this article. The humble and loving nature of Mukesh is indeed stamped on his each and every song. Bless His Soul !
Thanks to Vivek ..and ofcouse to Aryan too for digging this out of obscurity. smile.gif

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
vivek
post Jan 15 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(aryanraj @ Jan 13 2009, 12:30 PM) *

really very great sharing dude, I am surprised abt this why no one have commented on this post.

I m very to see this post

Dear Aryanraj and simplefable,,

Thanks for ur response on "PAPA" same as u i was also surprised that no one took interset in the article because when first tym i saw this article on web i was very glad to read it, its so late but i m very happy to had ur respons, Thnks very much.

vivek

+Quote Post
Jay
post Jan 15 2009, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 995

great article! thnx!

Life is music, music is life...
+Quote Post
desai2rn
post Jan 16 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 189

Vivek,

I missed this article on HF, which is unusal. But had seen simialr article
on singer Mulesh.com web site. A site well worth visiting for all mukesh fans. .
Thanks for reminder.

Here is a link to another article posted some time ago

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?act=...st&p=433783

This post has been edited by desai2rn: Jan 16 2009, 10:04 AM

R a m e s h
+Quote Post
vivek
post Jan 16 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(desai2rn @ Jan 16 2009, 10:03 AM) *

Vivek,

I missed this article on HF, which is unusal. But had seen simialr article
on singer Mulesh.com web site. A site well worth visiting for all mukesh fans. .
Thanks for reminder.

Here is a link to another article posted some time ago

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?act=...st&p=433783

Thnks for the Great Article Desau2rn

Very Nice Sharing

Vivek

+Quote Post
meerzorg
post Jan 22 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 230

Dear Vivek,
Nice article, thanks

Manodj
+Quote Post
mAtties
post Jun 19 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 17549

nice article about mukesh

does this daughter sing also or any of the other children of mukesh besides Nitin Mukesh
+Quote Post
raga_tala
post Jun 20 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 862

QUOTE(mAtties @ Jun 19 2009, 11:09 AM) *

nice article about mukesh

does this daughter sing also or any of the other children of mukesh besides Nitin Mukesh

I don't know about Nalini.

I know Namrata sings, but not full time. She sang Geeta Dutt songs at Nitinji's show, Kal Ki Yaadein, in lieu of Mukeshji's thirtieth death anniversary.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:51 PM