Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sushma Shrestha aka Poornima

, Info on this singer -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sushma Shrestha aka Poornima, Info on this singer -
Nimii
post Aug 12 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Sushma Shreshtha:

Sushma has been singing for films for the last 18 years, and has started doing jingles only four to five years ago. "I think I was not in the right place at the right time, as far as film music was concerned, says "Sushma' a trifle wistfully. "I used to feel bad about the lack of offers from music directors, but I think I have gotover it now. I don't believe in pushing my career too much. After all, all the film music directors knew that I was around, so what was the point in' re-introducing myself to them all over again?
I started singing for jingles through Nathan. He knew me and offered me a jingle. I accepted and I have not looked bark since then. I don’t think there is anything demeaning singing for jingles. After all, even established .singers like Anuradha Paudwal and Suresh Wadkar do. It occasionally:' she continues." The success of jingle depends on its script, and the tune, We are like salesgirls making a pinch, that is all. Some-of my jingles are for Rexona, Hamam, and marvel, ponds and Godrej 'products." She sings the language jingles mainly in Marathi and English. "There is a different intonation you have, to use for every language and inflections that will make the message sound authentic explains Sushma. She charges between with her work, and has no immediate plans, for branching out into some other area. Last year, she cut a disc for Music India, called 'Dastak', and It is an experience she would Ike to forget "They did not give me any publicity or do any promotion, and, consequently, it did not fare well," says Sushma. The fact that concentrating on jingles, can be no claim 6to fame does not bother her, and she plans to be around for long time.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Aug 12 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Poornima

It would not be a misnomer to say that Poornima, the child prodigy who sang the hit ‘Hai Na Bolo Bolo’ when she was just nine is the oldest singer in terms of experience in the industry. Pray who among today’s singers can boast of having worked with Naushad, Madan Mohan, C. Ramchandra, Anil Biswas, S. D. Burman and Shankar Jaikishan among others?

Background

Poornima, also known as Sushma Shreshtha (remember ‘Itni Shakti Hamein Dena Mata’ from Ankur) was exposed to music from a very young age. Her father was Bhola Shreshtha, an acclaimed arranger who worked with Khemchand Prakash on the score of Mahal, which shot Lata into the limelight. He later was one of the key figures associated with Kishore Kumar.

Hailing from the mountain kingdom of Nepal, the family was initially settled in Dadar where the cosmopolitan culture encouraged Poornima to pursue her singing in various languages, be it Marathi or Hindi. The initial encouragement came from her aunt, uncle and mother, as Bhola Shreshtha was quite apprehensive about her daughter joining the film industry.

Break

The first break happened accidentally when Chandrakant Bhosle, a family friend and an assistant to Shankar – Jaikishan recommended her name to Shankar. Inspite of the prevailing custom of women playback singers singing for children, Shankar took upon him the challenge of taking an unknown child to sing ‘Hai Na Bolo Bolo’ for the film Andaz. Poornima recorded her first song on the 11th of November 1969 with the legend Mohammad Rafi and Suman Kalyanpur. Rafi was impressed by her singing and presented her hundred rupees after the recording.

Her career was planned to be launched at a function organised by the Punjab Association organised by Raj Kapoor, Pran and others. Slated to perform on the 12th of April 1971, tragedy struck on the 11th of April when her father suffered a cardiac arrest and died. The undaunted teenager encouraged by family and friends gave a performance, which impressed many and which also enabled her to get a scholarship of Rs. 250 to study music.

Success and Rise

Poornima did a children’s album called Bal Geet, which had the legendary S. Khale composing the songs and Shanta Shelke penning them. She sang four songs in it and it proved as huge hit and gave immense exposure to Poornima who surprised everybody by singing Marathi songs without a blemish.

Marriage put a temporary halt to her singing career with regard to films as she stopped doing stage shows, which promptly dried up the offers for playback. Her last song as Sushma Shreshtha was in N. Chandra’s Ankur ‘Itni Shakti Humein Dena Mata’. Jingles took her attention where the professionalism made her settle to a steady work schedule.

Come 1990’s where cover versions were the order of the day. Tips, the Music Company approached her with an offer. Wanting to make a clean departure from the child prodigy image, they suggested a change of name and image. Sushma was game and took the name Poornima, according to her star.

Her return was a success in the version field. Films were only a matter of time and her song ‘Barsaat Mein Jab Aayega Saawan Ka Maheena’ from Maa was a hit. Few things changed till David Dhawan’s Bol Radha Bol. ‘Tu Tu Tu Tu Tara’ was nothing short of an anthem and the remaining songs, which were 37c successes also, gave Poornima the opportunity to savour success and adulation that had eluded for long.

Future

Continuing her association with Dhawan, she went on to sing for all his No.1 series including Haseena Maan Jayegi and Biwi No.1, last year’s blockbuster. Inspite of the lacklustre Indi – Pop scenario last year, Poornima was one of the top – ten selling artistes with her album Mera Dil Bole Piya Piya. With the adage “slow and steady wins the race” enforcing her nearly three comebacks, she won’t disappear in a hurry, only reappear donning new identities.

Courtesy: Net Sources
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Aug 12 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

She still has kept the Rs. 100/- that Rafi had given her for her excellent singing in Kya Huva Tera Waada.

kuch bhi nahin hai tera mol, boli na badi bol, khilona tu maati ka...
+Quote Post
iqbal
post Aug 12 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

Is it Poornima who sings the title song for the comedy serial Shriman shrimati?
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Aug 12 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (iqbal @ Aug 12 2004, 03:31 PM)

No idea Iqbal. I have no idea about this particular tv serial. Kaunse channel pe telecast ho raha hai?

N ?
+Quote Post
iqbal
post Aug 12 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

On SAB TV here England.
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Aug 12 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (iqbal @ Aug 12 2004, 10:01 AM)

Yes it is her...
Kyon? Shrimaan ji.... Ji.. Shrimati Ji. Who is the male voice? Vinod Rathod?

+Quote Post
iqbal
post Aug 12 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pradeep @ Aug 12 2004, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (iqbal @ Aug 12 2004, 10:01 AM)

Yes it is her...
Kyon? Shrimaan ji.... Ji.. Shrimati Ji. Who is the male voice? Vinod Rathod?

Yes, the male voice is Vinod Rathod.

The singer of Chupana bhi nahin aata jataana bhi nahin aata….what’s he up to nowadays as very rarely heard in films?
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Aug 12 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I heard him last for Chhan Chhan along with Shreya Ghoshal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:26 AM