Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amin Saayani's "binaca Geet Mala" And Laxmi-pyare.
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Music Directors > Laxmikant Pyarelal
ajay
Laxmikant-Pyarelal have completely dominated the Weekly Countdown programme called “Binca Geet Mala”, the most popular and famous musical radio programme of it’s time. It's first broadcast was in 1953 by Radio Ceylon and it's host was the inimitable Ameen Sayani. The Binaca Geet Mala ranked the most popular Bollywood film songs according to sales in select shops in select cities.

In the third quarter of 1963, LP’s first ever songs Hasta Hua Nurani Chehara form Parasmani hit the “Binaca Geet Mala”. After that LP’s songs were regularly and prominently aired on “Binaca Geet Mala”. There used to be sixteen songs in each of the weekly “Binaca Geet Mala” programme, more than half the numbers of the songs were of LP.

There are certain weekly Binaca Geet Mala programmes in which more than 13 out of 16 songs of LP were broadcast when LP were on right on top of their carrier. Binaca Geet Mala used to broadcast annual (Vasrshik ) programme giving the orders of the top 32 songs of every year. In this programme also LP were having upper hand. Not only that, on an average, there used to be at least more than 15 songs used to be of LP, that too about 50 % of the songs in between top to first ten positions. The Binaca Geet Mala records shows that Laxmikant-Pyarelal have completely dominated this musical programme.

Here is the list of the songs of LP which were on top position in that particular year.

1967 Milan:- Sawan Ka Mahina
Mukesh & Lata Mangeshkar

1968 Shagird:- Dil Bil Pyar Vyar
Lata Mangeshkar

1969 Intquam:- Kaise Rahu Chup
Lata Manageshkar

1970 Do Raste:- Bindiya Chamake Gi
Lata Mangeshkar

1975 Roti Kapada Aur Makarn:-
Mehangai Mar Gai
Jani Babu Quwal & Lata, Mukesh, Narendra Chanchal

1980 Sargam:- Dafali Wale
Mohammad Rafi & Lata

1984 Hero:- Tu Mera Hero Hai
Anuradha Paudwal & Manhar

1986 Sanjog:- Yashoda Ka Nandlala
Lata Mangeshkar

1987 Naam:- Chitthi Aayi Hai
Pankaj Udhas

1989 Ram Lakhan:-
My Name Is Lakhan
Mohammed Aziz

1993 Khalnayak:- Choli Ke Peeche
Alka Ygnik & Ila Arun
sholay
In the late 60s and early 70s each song could appear a max of 18 weeks before it was called a sartaj geet - in the annual programs all songs that played for less than 18 weeks would be played first (going from #32 upward in ascending order of weeks played) until you reach the sartaj geets:

in 1969 mere sapnon ki rani was the most popular song - however it played for 15 weeks by the time tha year rolled to a close so it missed being a sartaj geet by 3 and missed being on the #1 paydaan for the year

in 1970, the song ae bhai zara dekh ke chalo would have easily been the top song of the year were it not for the fact that it played for 17 weeks until the end of the year rolled along , thus it missed out on being a sartaj geet by 1 week.

LP overtook SJ as being the most popular music director (most # of songs in the annual program) in 1968: the LP - RD battle royal began in earnest in 1971: in 1972 the two were tied for the most # of hits, in 1973 RD overtook LP.

In the early 80s LP and RD were remarkably competitive, mostly won by LP :however both LP and RD were overtaken by Bappi Lahiri as having the most # of hits in 1983 and 1984; in 1985 RD took the most # of hits spot from Bappi and LP. After that there were barely any RD songs on the geetmala.
ajay
QUOTE(sholay @ Mar 7 2005, 10:46 PM)
In the late 60s and early 70s each song could appear a max of 18 weeks before it was called a sartaj geet - in the annual programs all songs that played for less than 18 weeks would be played first (going from #32 upward in ascending order of weeks played) until you reach the sartaj geets:

in 1969 mere sapnon ki rani was the most popular song - however it played for 15 weeks by the time tha year rolled to a close so it missed being a sartaj geet by 3 and missed being on the #1 paydaan for the year

in 1970, the song ae bhai zara dekh ke chalo would have easily been the top song of the year were it not for the fact that it played for 17 weeks until the end of the year rolled along , thus it missed out on being a sartaj geet by 1 week.

LP overtook SJ as being the most popular music director (most # of songs in the annual program) in 1968: the LP - RD battle royal began in earnest in 1971: in 1972 the two were tied for the most # of hits, in 1973 RD overtook LP.

In the early 80s LP and RD were remarkably competitive, mostly won by LP :however both LP and RD were overtaken by Bappi Lahiri as having the most # of hits in 1983 and 1984;  in 1985 RD took the most # of hits spot from Bappi and LP. After that there were barely any RD songs on the geetmala.

The same thing applies for LP's following songs:-

Partially in 1963 and partially in 1964.
Hasata Hua Nurani Chehara,....."Parasmani"

Partially in 1964 and partially in 1965.
Chahunga Main Tuze Sanz Svere..."Dosti"

Partially in 1971 and partially in 1972.
Ek Pyar Ka Nagama Hai... "Shor"

Partially in 1973 and partially in 1974
Zooth Bole Kauwa Kate...."Bobby" (although song Chabi Kho Jaye was second in annual binaca Geet mala in 1973).

Partially in 1979 and partially in 1980
Om Shanti Om... "Karz"

Partially in 1985 and partially in 1986
Main Teri Dushman ..."Nagin"

There are so many songs like this.....

What I mean to say is that if you go through the records of the 'Binaca Geet Mala" on an average it is Laxmikant-Pyarelal who have completely dominated this "Binaca Geet Mala".
ajay
Just have a look at 1982 Binaca Geet Mala you will have the answer.

Binaca Geetmala/1982
Edit this page (last edited February 16, 2005)
Front Page | Recent Changes | Title Index | User Preferences | Random Page | Help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
» Laxmikant-Pyarelal » Binaca Geetmala/1982
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vaarshik Geetmala

1. Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain (Khuddar? Rajesh Roshan Majrooh Sultanpuri Kishore, Lata
2. Ki Pag Ghungroo Baandh (NamakHalal?) BappiLahiri? Anjaan,PrakashMehra? Kishore
3. Ramba Ho(Armaan?, 1981) BappiLahiri? Indeevar UshaUthup?
4. Kitne Bhi Tu Karle Sitam (SanamTeriKasam?, 1981) R D Burman Gulshan Bawra Kishore; Asha
5. Main Hoon Prem Rogi (PremRog?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal SantoshAnand? SureshWadkar?
6. Poochon Na Yaar Kya Hua / Bolo Bolo (ZamaneKoDikhanaHai?) R D Burman Majrooh Sultanpuri Asha, Rafi
7. He Raju He Daddy (EkHiBhool?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi [S P Balasubramaniam]?, Rajeshwari?
8. Dil Cheez Kya Hai (UmraaoJaan?, 1981) Khayyam Shaharyar? Asha
9. Jaana O Meri Jaana (SanamTeriKasam?)
Pyar Ka Wada Fifty Fifty (FiftyFifty?) R D Burman
Laxmikant-Pyarelal Gulshan Bawra
Anand Bakshi R D Burman
Kishore, Asha
10. Mohabbat Hai Kya Cheez (PremRog?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal AmirQazalbash? Lata, SureshWadkar?
11. Yeh Gotedaar Lehenga (DharamKaanta?) Naushad Majrooh Sultanpuri Asha, Rafi
12. Main Tum Mein Sama Jaoon (RaastePyaarKe?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Lata, [S P Balasubramaniam]?
13. Chhod Mazaa Haath Mala(FiftyFifty?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Kishore, Lata
14. Dil Bole Boom Boom (Star?) Biddu? Indeevar NaziaHassan?
15. Dillena Khel Hai Dildaar Ka (ZamaneKoDikhanaHai?) R D Burman Majrooh Sultanpuri R D Burman
16. Dukki Pe Dukki Ho (SattePeSatta?) R D Burman) Gulshan Bawra Asha, Kishore
17. Disco 82 (Khuddar?) Rajesh Roshan Majrooh Sultanpuri Lata, Kishore
18. Khatoon Ki Khidmat Mein(DeshPremee?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Kishore
19. Yeh Din To Aata Hai (Mahaan?) R D Burman Anand Bakshi Asha, R D Burman
20. Apne Apne Miya Pe (ApnaBanaLo?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Asha
21. Ek Do Kehne Bhi Do (Star?)
Mere Mehboob Tujhe Salaam (Baghawat?) Biddu?
Laxmikant-Pyarelal Indeevar)
Anand Bakshi ZohebHassan?
Asha, Rafi
22. Yeh Zameen Gaa Rahi Hai (TeriKasam?) R D Burman Anand Bakshi AmitKumar?
23. Pyar Mein Dil pe (Mahaan?) R D Burman Anand Bakshi Kishore, Asha
24. Jabse Tumko Dekha (Kaalia?) R D Burman Majrooh Sultanpuri Asha, Kishore
25. Sara Din Satate Ho (RaastePyaarKe?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Kishore, Asha
26. Saat Saheliyan Khari Khari (Vidhaata?) Kalyanji-Anandji Anand Bakshi Asha
27. Jahaan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai (Kaalia?) R D Burman Majrooh Sultanpuri Kishore
28. Mere Dildaar Ka Baankapan (Deedaar-E-Yaar) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Kishore, Rafi
29. Meri Kismat Mein Tu Nehin Shayad (PremRog?) Laxmikant-Pyarelal AmirQazalbash? SureshWadkar?
30. Tere Jaisa Yaar Kahan (Yaaraana?)1981 Rajesh Roshan Anjaan Kishore
31. Megha Re Megha Re (PyaasaSaawan?)1981 Laxmikant-Pyarelal SantoshAnand? Lata, SureshWadkar?
Performance Notes:

Music Directors:

1. Laxmikant-Pyarelal - 13 songs
2. R D Burman - 10 songs
3. BappiLahiri?, Biddu and Rajesh Roshan - 2 each
4. Kalyanji-Anandji, Naushad and Khayyam - 1 each.

Male Playback:

1. Kishore Kumar - 14 songs
2. Rafi - 4 songs
3. R D Burman, [S P Balasubramanyam]? and SureshWadkar? - 3 songs each
4. Amit Kumar and Zoheb - 1 song each

Female Playback:

1. Asha - 12 songs
2. Lata - 6 songs
3. Nazia Hasan, Rajeshwari and Usha Uthup - 1 song each.

Notes:

1. Laxmikant-Pyarelal and R D Burman continue their heated rivalry with the latter inching closer to the former.
2. Rafi makes his last appearance on Binaca Geetmala for a while. Two years after his death he still has 4 songs on the annual charts. His next appearance would be with Mohabbat Zinda rehti hai from Love and God in 1986. Kishore Kumars dominance continues unabated. Asha is the queen bee amongst the female playback singers, and Laxmikant's daughter Rajeshwari makes a memorable debut on the charts.
3. In 1982, we witnessed the most heated competition for the top spot, with the top two songs seperated by 1 point!!
ajay
QUOTE(ajay @ Mar 8 2005, 12:44 PM)
Just have a look at 1982 Binaca Geet Mala you will have the answer.

Binaca Geetmala/1982
Edit this page (last edited February 16, 2005)
Front Page | Recent Changes | Title Index | User Preferences | Random Page | Help
» Laxmikant-Pyarelal » Binaca Geetmala/1982

Vaarshik Geetmala

1.  Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain (Khuddar?  Rajesh Roshan  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Kishore, Lata
2.  Ki Pag Ghungroo Baandh (NamakHalal?)  BappiLahiri?  Anjaan,PrakashMehra? Kishore 
3.  Ramba Ho(Armaan?, 1981)  BappiLahiri?  Indeevar  UshaUthup? 
4.  Kitne Bhi Tu Karle Sitam (SanamTeriKasam?, 1981)  R D Burman  Gulshan Bawra  Kishore; Asha 
5.  Main Hoon Prem Rogi (PremRog?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  SantoshAnand?  SureshWadkar? 
6.  Poochon Na Yaar Kya Hua / Bolo Bolo (ZamaneKoDikhanaHai?)  R D Burman  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Asha, Rafi 
7.  He Raju He Daddy (EkHiBhool?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  [S P Balasubramaniam]?, Rajeshwari? 
8.  Dil Cheez Kya Hai (UmraaoJaan?, 1981)  Khayyam  Shaharyar?  Asha 
9.  Jaana O Meri Jaana (SanamTeriKasam?)
Pyar Ka Wada Fifty Fifty (FiftyFifty?) R D Burman
Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Gulshan Bawra
Anand Bakshi R D Burman
Kishore, Asha 
10.  Mohabbat Hai Kya Cheez (PremRog?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  AmirQazalbash?  Lata, SureshWadkar? 
11.  Yeh Gotedaar Lehenga (DharamKaanta?)  Naushad  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Asha, Rafi 
12.  Main Tum Mein Sama Jaoon (RaastePyaarKe?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Lata, [S P Balasubramaniam]? 
13.  Chhod Mazaa Haath Mala(FiftyFifty?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Kishore, Lata 
14.  Dil Bole Boom Boom (Star?)  Biddu?  Indeevar  NaziaHassan? 
15.  Dillena Khel Hai Dildaar Ka (ZamaneKoDikhanaHai?)  R D Burman  Majrooh Sultanpuri  R D Burman 
16.  Dukki Pe Dukki Ho (SattePeSatta?)  R D Burman)  Gulshan Bawra  Asha, Kishore 
17.  Disco 82 (Khuddar?)  Rajesh Roshan  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Lata, Kishore 
18.  Khatoon Ki Khidmat Mein(DeshPremee?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Kishore 
19.  Yeh Din To Aata Hai (Mahaan?)  R D Burman  Anand Bakshi  Asha, R D Burman 
20.  Apne Apne Miya Pe (ApnaBanaLo?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Asha 
21.  Ek Do Kehne Bhi Do (Star?)
Mere Mehboob Tujhe Salaam (Baghawat?)  Biddu?
Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Indeevar)
Anand Bakshi  ZohebHassan?
Asha, Rafi 
22.  Yeh Zameen Gaa Rahi Hai (TeriKasam?)  R D Burman  Anand Bakshi  AmitKumar? 
23.  Pyar Mein Dil pe (Mahaan?)  R D Burman  Anand Bakshi  Kishore, Asha 
24.  Jabse Tumko Dekha (Kaalia?)  R D Burman  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Asha, Kishore 
25.  Sara Din Satate Ho (RaastePyaarKe?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Kishore, Asha 
26.  Saat Saheliyan Khari Khari (Vidhaata?)  Kalyanji-Anandji  Anand Bakshi Asha 
27.  Jahaan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai (Kaalia?)  R D Burman  Majrooh Sultanpuri  Kishore 
28.  Mere Dildaar Ka Baankapan (Deedaar-E-Yaar)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  Anand Bakshi  Kishore, Rafi 
29.  Meri Kismat Mein Tu Nehin Shayad (PremRog?)  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  AmirQazalbash?  SureshWadkar? 
30.  Tere Jaisa Yaar Kahan (Yaaraana?)1981  Rajesh Roshan  Anjaan Kishore 
31.  Megha Re Megha Re (PyaasaSaawan?)1981  Laxmikant-Pyarelal  SantoshAnand?  Lata, SureshWadkar? 
Performance Notes:

Music Directors:

1. Laxmikant-Pyarelal - 13 songs
2. R D Burman - 10 songs
3. BappiLahiri?, Biddu and Rajesh Roshan - 2 each
4. Kalyanji-Anandji, Naushad and Khayyam - 1 each.

Male Playback:

1. Kishore Kumar - 14 songs
2. Rafi - 4 songs
3. R D Burman, [S P Balasubramanyam]? and SureshWadkar? - 3 songs each
4. Amit Kumar and Zoheb - 1 song each

Female Playback:

1. Asha - 12 songs
2. Lata - 6 songs
3. Nazia Hasan, Rajeshwari and Usha Uthup - 1 song each.

Notes:

1. Laxmikant-Pyarelal and R D Burman continue their heated rivalry with the latter inching closer to the former.
2. Rafi makes his last appearance on Binaca Geetmala for a while. Two years after his death he still has 4 songs on the annual charts. His next appearance would be with Mohabbat Zinda rehti hai from Love and God in 1986. Kishore Kumars dominance continues unabated. Asha is the queen bee amongst the female playback singers, and Laxmikant's daughter Rajeshwari makes a memorable debut on the charts.
3. In 1982, we witnessed the most heated competition for the top spot, with the top two songs seperated by 1 point!!

-Vaarshik Geetmala

1. Husn Haazir Hai (Laila Majnu, 1976) Madan Mohan Sahir Ludhianvi Lata
2. Pardaa Hai Pardaa (Amar Akbar Anthony) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Rafi
3. O Merii Mehabuubaa (Dharam Veer) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Rafi
4. Aapake anurodh pe (Anurodh) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Kishore
5. Satyam Shivam Sundaram(Satyam Shivam Sundaram) Laxmikant-Pyarelal Anand Bakshi Lata
6. Naam Gum Jaayega(Kinara) R D Burman Gulzar Bhupinder, Lata

These songs were featured at other paaydaans, but I do not remember exactly where:

1. Hum banjaaron ki baat mat (Dharamveer), MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal (among top 10)
2. Anhonee ko honi kar (Amar Akbar Anthony), MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal (among top 10)
3. Teri meri shaadi seedhi saadi pandit (Dildaar), MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal
4. Honthhon pe rangat hai dil mein (Dream Girl), MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal (among top 10)
5. Is reshmi paazeb ki jhankaar ke (Laila Majnu), MD: Madan Mohan (among top 10)
6. Tere dar pe aaya hoon kuchh karke (Laila Majnu), MD: Madan Mohan
7. Bombai se aaya mera dost dost ko (Aapki Khatir), MD: Bappi Lahiri
8. Khoon paseene ki jo milegi to (Khoon Paseena), MD: Kalyanji Anandji
9. Chaand mera dil (Hum Kisise Kum Naheen), MD: R.D. Burman (probably 17th)
10. Hai agar dushman dushman zamaana (Hum Kisise Kum Naheen), MD: R.D. Burman
11. Chori chori chupke chupke tere mere (Bullet), MD: R.D. Burman
12. Suhaani chaandni raaten hamen sone (Mukti), MD: R.D. Burman
13. Aate jaate khoobsoorat (Anurodh), MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal (probably among top 10)
14. Aapsa koi haseen (Chandi Sona), MD: R.D. Burman (probably among top 10)
15. Uljhan hazaar koi daale rukte kahaan (Chandi Sona), MD: R.D. Burman
16. Yaar dildaar tujhe kaisa chaahiye pyaar (Chhaila Babu) MD: Laxmikant Pyarelal
17. Ek se badhkar ek main laayi hoon (Ek Se Badhkar Ek), MD: Kalyanji Anandji
18. Do deewaane shehar mein raat mein (Gharonda), MD: Jaidev
19. Kaa karoon sajni aaye na baalam (Swami), MD: Rajesh Roshan
20. Sone ka chabootara us pe naache mor (Hatyara), MD: Kalyanji Anandji
21. Aaj mere yaar ki shaadi hai aaj mere (Aadmi Sadak Ka), MD: Ravi
22. Main peetal ki paayaliya bhi pehnoon (Kasam Khoon Ki), MD: Kalyanji Anandji

Note: 'Main peetal ki paayaliya' (Kasam Khoon Ki) may have been featured in both 1977 and 1978 – I cannot recall. 'Chaand mera dil' (Hum Kisise Kum Naheen) topped the first part of the annual show, but I cannot recall exactly what paaydaan it was. If second part featured top 16 songs, then it was the 17th paaydaan.

These songs also were very popular in weekly shows and, assuming 32 paaydaans and 34 songs (2 instances of a paaydaan having 2 songs on it) were selected this year, 6 of them may have made it to the annual show:

1. Aise na mujhe tum dekho seene se (Darling Darling), MD: R.D. Burman
sholay
i think you completely missed my point - the only LP songs that were adversely affected by the spillover into a new year (i think)were main tulsi tere angan ki in 1978 and ek do teen in 1987 - i think ek do teen was the honorary #1 in 1988 scoring more points than my name is lakhan, main tulsi was also acknowledged.

b.t.w the website and the lists you cut and paste from - a lot of it was done by me (among others - asif, maajid, parag, !! i am hopeful that i will get some of the other complete lists soon .

by the way are you the ajay gupta described on some of the lists - if you are do you have the full lists of the missing years? (i.e 1977, 78, 79, 80)
ajay
QUOTE(sholay @ Mar 18 2005, 04:54 AM)
i think you completely missed my point - the only LP songs that were adversely affected by the spillover into a new year (i think)were main tulsi tere angan ki in 1978 and ek do teen in 1987 - i think ek do teen was the honorary #1 in 1988 scoring more points than my name is lakhan, main tulsi was also acknowledged.

b.t.w the website and the lists you cut and paste from - a lot of it was done by me (among others - asif, maajid, parag, !! i am hopeful that i will get some of the other complete lists soon .

by the way are you the ajay gupta described on some of the lists - if you are do you have the full lists of the missing years? (i.e 1977, 78, 79, 80)

No I am not Ajay Gupta. You can read my reviews on mouthshut.com>entertaintment>music.....as ajay55
ajay
QUOTE(ajay @ Mar 20 2005, 10:00 AM)
QUOTE(sholay @ Mar 18 2005, 04:54 AM)

No I am not Ajay Gupta. You can read my reviews on mouthshut.com>entertaintment>music.....as ajay55

I learnt that Binaca Geet \mala is once again strted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.