Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Birth Of A New Star...
Hamara Forums > Legends > Kishore Kumar
kcp
Yet another birthday. Time for celebration of the spirit ! Let me present to the Kishore fans, for the first time ever, one more exciting matter on the legend that they breathe. This aspect is again very close to my heart and intend to write a separate chapter/book on the subject, "sometime" in the future. But for now, let be start from the start. The analysis coming from this interview of his, should be the basis of the subject - LIVE STAGE SHOWS OF KISHORE KUMAR.
For Kishoreda, it was not something new. For much before that, when he must be 5 or 6 years of age, he was singing on home-made stages, amongst friends, for friends. That time it was just for fun. Then came the college days, where he sang in gatherings ( albeit the first time, he was cajoled and tricked by the friends to be on the stage ). Remember singing was his first choice, but singing-from-the-heart was his first-nature. He never compromised on the sheer pleasure that the audience ( be it the guests visiting his father, his friends, or the college crowd ) used to derive from his singing. Thats what he enjoyed the most. But he had one problem - not well trained in music. This fear of the public rejecting his voice, or ridiculing him for singing wrongly, always remained with him. This prevented him from gathering the courage and display his talent in shows ( that he had already acquired , being the best modern day Eklavya, that the Industry has ever seen )

Later came the period of struggle in the big-bad-world, inspite of his elder brother, Dadamuni, being the King in the industry. He had already sung in one or two stage shows ( cine-association in the 50's ), but thats about it. Then came the ride of success in acting, which ended after 10 years. Soon he faced lots of financial difficulties. Personal sufferings. Professional frustration of not getting proper roles ( cusp of Padosan time ). One of his interview in 1967 showed that how much desparate he was. How much he wanted to leave acting and just sing to his heart's content.

Soon after he accepted 3 major shows - One by Barin Dhar in Kolkata, One by Sunil Dutt for the Jawans on the Indo-China border and one for a social cause in Shanmukhananda Hall - music arranged by Laxmikant Pyarelal. Just after that his stars shone with Aradhana and then they say, Rest is History. For stage shows he had in his repitoire lots of songs from his acting days, which were immensely popular. Adding to that a few hits of Dev Anand from the black and white films !! What else the public wants ! Let us look into the mind of the star, the first Stage-Superstar-Singer of India, who changed the grammar, the style of singing on Indian stage. The audience was changed for ever.

This interview is within 2 years of the start of his stage-show-career - around 1970
---------------------------------------------------------

I had often a desire to write about things I often think. But my profession has a very feeble relation with the use of pen since it is primarily with the use of my voice that I am concerned. And ofcourse what I intend others to know is about my humble contributions in the field of entertainment since that is where the bridge exists between me and the world outside. I am an entertainer and I am, to be frank, that I am one.
One cannot harp on entertainment unless he has an audience to listen and one cannot survive unless he is equipped with the requisites. How far equipped I am in the field, is something for others to judge. I am a singer (sometime a composer too), an actor, a comedian and in a little way, a film director too. And with all these I move onward from year to year, from one piece to another. My basic devotion is to music and perhaps, this is principally for what people know me. The audience, a massive one, has received me enthusiastically wherever I have visited and that is, as you know, is the best consolation an artist may have for all the labour, devotion and creative endeavour he has to devote.

Popularity is of utmost importance to an artist. In fact this keeps an artiste live and love. I love the audience reciprocally and my obligation to them is limitless. My recent participation in mumber of musical occasions, has given me a thrill that I never before experienced. The spontaneous jubilation and interest have often left me flabbergasted. In most occasions I had to go singing and singing song after song, and each time I have wanted to retire and applauding burst of requests have kept me bound to the microphone. The audience, when they go mad with enthusiasm, express their liking without reservation and whether such clamour is welcome or not, an artist cannot but be obliging. I have been so and it was pleasant to be so. It is not just money that an artiste cares for, there is something else besides that sometime keeps him bound to the audience. In my case this extra aspect of participation in massive programmes has added an extra feather and I have relished it.

I came back completing of far away Mauritius last year where I had to sing popular songs that I have sung before on discs and film playbacks. An exhilarating experience was in store for me. I could never guess that Indian songs are so popular abroad and Indian leaving abroad have a kind of craze that is hard to define. I have gone crazy myself most often when I participated in programmes there. Indian songs with a Western slant have found an inroad that from here we cannot conceive. Even those who have no Indian background muse over popular film and recorded songs. My personal appearances have convinced me that the character of an appreciative audience everywhere is the same.

Last time only a year back, I participated in a programme that took place at the Rabindra Sarovar stadium at Calcutta. I had my life's experience there. I could scent how much an audiene cares for a liked artiste. There was a melly, brickbatting and a terrific clash that all of a sudden had left the entire audience in a frenzy. I was implored to take up the microphone and when I started with a line from a favourite song, the indiscipline that was sweeping all over the stadium gradually subsided. I do not exactly remember how many songs I had sung but they were plenty in number. The programme which was about to be marred could be carried after I completed my score. Well, I felt amply rewarded and received an impetus that words cannot express.

In my last participation in Tarun Sangeet Sammelan, the same experience was repeated. I had to participate beyond my contracted programmes to quieten an impatient audience and delivered before them twenty songs on its concluding day. I cannot forget the love for an artiste the audience revealed. I cannot deny my allegiance to them. If I have any obligations to anybody, it is to them that I have most and I cherish it.

The audience has in fact created an artiste out of my humble self. Today I feel that I am duty-bound to go on devoting more labour and sincerity. I have to compose more melodious tunes, I have to create something better to recreate my audience. I have to devote more to the cause of entertaining them. It is wonderful to find one's own self popular and loved and hailed. I wish now I could do better to please them further.

debjyoti
Nice article,Kishoreda is the all time greatest performer also in the world.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MAHAGURU KISHORE KUMAR.4RTH AUG HAS ARRIVED,FANS JUST LISTEN TO HIS SONGS ALL DAY IN RADIO,THERE WILL BE KISHOREDA SPECIAL SHOWS ALL OVER AND LIKE EVERY YEAR,THERE WILL BE TRIBUTE SHOWS IN TV ALSO.JAY KISHOREDA.
Nimii
QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 3 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Yet another birthday. Time for celebration of the spirit ! Let me present to the Kishore fans, for the first time ever, one more exciting matter on the legend that they breathe. This aspect is again very close to my heart and intend to write a separate chapter/book on the subject, "sometime" in the future. But for now, let be start from the start. The analysis coming from this interview of his, should be the basis of the subject - LIVE STAGE SHOWS OF KISHORE KUMAR.
For Kishoreda, it was not something new. For much before that, when he must be 5 or 6 years of age, he was singing on home-made stages, amongst friends, for friends. That time it was just for fun. Then came the college days, where he sang in gatherings ( albeit the first time, he was cajoled and tricked by the friends to be on the stage ). Remember singing was his first choice, but singing-from-the-heart was his first-nature. He never compromised on the sheer pleasure that the audience ( be it the guests visiting his father, his friends, or the college crowd ) used to derive from his singing. Thats what he enjoyed the most. But he had one problem - not well trained in music. This fear of the public rejecting his voice, or ridiculing him for singing wrongly, always remained with him. This prevented him from gathering the courage and display his talent in shows ( that he had already acquired , being the best modern day Eklavya, that the Industry has ever seen )

Later came the period of struggle in the big-bad-world, inspite of his elder brother, Dadamuni, being the King in the industry. He had already sung in one or two stage shows ( cine-association in the 50's ), but thats about it. Then came the ride of success in acting, which ended after 10 years. Soon he faced lots of financial difficulties. Personal sufferings. Professional frustration of not getting proper roles ( cusp of Padosan time ). One of his interview in 1967 showed that how much desparate he was. How much he wanted to leave acting and just sing to his heart's content.

Soon after he accepted 3 major shows - One by Barin Dhar in Kolkata, One by Sunil Dutt for the Jawans on the Indo-China border and one for a social cause in Shanmukhananda Hall - music arranged by Laxmikant Pyarelal. Just after that his stars shone with Aradhana and then they say, Rest is History. For stage shows he had in his repitoire lots of songs from his acting days, which were immensely popular. Adding to that a few hits of Dev Anand from the black and white films !! What else the public wants ! Let us look into the mind of the star, the first Stage-Superstar-Singer of India, who changed the grammar, the style of singing on Indian stage. The audience was changed for ever.

This interview is within 2 years of the start of his stage-show-career - around 1970
---------------------------------------------------------

I had often a desire to write about things I often think. But my profession has a very feeble relation with the use of pen since it is primarily with the use of my voice that I am concerned. And ofcourse what I intend others to know is about my humble contributions in the field of entertainment since that is where the bridge exists between me and the world outside. I am an entertainer and I am, to be frank, that I am one.
One cannot harp on entertainment unless he has an audience to listen and one cannot survive unless he is equipped with the requisites. How far equipped I am in the field, is something for others to judge. I am a singer (sometime a composer too), an actor, a comedian and in a little way, a film director too. And with all these I move onward from year to year, from one piece to another. My basic devotion is to music and perhaps, this is principally for what people know me. The audience, a massive one, has received me enthusiastically wherever I have visited and that is, as you know, is the best consolation an artist may have for all the labour, devotion and creative endeavour he has to devote.

Popularity is of utmost importance to an artist. In fact this keeps an artiste live and love. I love the audience reciprocally and my obligation to them is limitless. My recent participation in mumber of musical occasions, has given me a thrill that I never before experienced. The spontaneous jubilation and interest have often left me flabbergasted. In most occasions I had to go singing and singing song after song, and each time I have wanted to retire and applauding burst of requests have kept me bound to the microphone. The audience, when they go mad with enthusiasm, express their liking without reservation and whether such clamour is welcome or not, an artist cannot but be obliging. I have been so and it was pleasant to be so. It is not just money that an artiste cares for, there is something else besides that sometime keeps him bound to the audience. In my case this extra aspect of participation in massive programmes has added an extra feather and I have relished it.

I came back completing of far away Mauritius last year where I had to sing popular songs that I have sung before on discs and film playbacks. An exhilarating experience was in store for me. I could never guess that Indian songs are so popular abroad and Indian leaving abroad have a kind of craze that is hard to define. I have gone crazy myself most often when I participated in programmes there. Indian songs with a Western slant have found an inroad that from here we cannot conceive. Even those who have no Indian background muse over popular film and recorded songs. My personal appearances have convinced me that the character of an appreciative audience everywhere is the same.

Last time only a year back, I participated in a programme that took place at the Rabindra Sarovar stadium at Calcutta. I had my life's experience there. I could scent how much an audiene cares for a liked artiste. There was a melly, brickbatting and a terrific clash that all of a sudden had left the entire audience in a frenzy. I was implored to take up the microphone and when I started with a line from a favourite song, the indiscipline that was sweeping all over the stadium gradually subsided. I do not exactly remember how many songs I had sung but they were plenty in number. The programme which was about to be marred could be carried after I completed my score. Well, I felt amply rewarded and received an impetus that words cannot express.

In my last participation in Tarun Sangeet Sammelan, the same experience was repeated. I had to participate beyond my contracted programmes to quieten an impatient audience and delivered before them twenty songs on its concluding day. I cannot forget the love for an artiste the audience revealed. I cannot deny my allegiance to them. If I have any obligations to anybody, it is to them that I have most and I cherish it.

The audience has in fact created an artiste out of my humble self. Today I feel that I am duty-bound to go on devoting more labour and sincerity. I have to compose more melodious tunes, I have to create something better to recreate my audience. I have to devote more to the cause of entertaining them. It is wonderful to find one's own self popular and loved and hailed. I wish now I could do better to please them further.

Kb kidhar release hua tha re yeh interview aur kya yeh sab bangla ya hindi mein diya tha Guru ne? huh.gif
gop
Happy Birthday Kishoreda. By playing Kishore Kumar song, I too celebrating birthday of Guru. Years ago on this day, Khandwa mein janam liya aur saari duniya ko apni aawaz ki jadoo mein baandh diya. Woh Aawaaz amar rahega, amar rahega unki yaadein.

gop
kcp
QUOTE(Nimii @ Aug 3 2010, 09:21 PM) *

Kb kidhar release hua tha re yeh interview aur kya yeh sab bangla ya hindi mein diya tha Guru ne? huh.gif

Got it from a friend whose dad was a Film Journalist ( he gave me the original cutting ). He said that it was published in Filmindia. Search is on.
debjyoti
QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 4 2010, 06:38 PM) *

Got it from a friend whose dad was a Film Journalist ( he gave me the original cutting ). He said that it was published in Filmindia. Search is on.

KCP Bhai can you please scan and upload the original cutting also?
kcp
QUOTE(debjyoti @ Aug 4 2010, 05:33 PM) *

QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 4 2010, 06:38 PM) *

KCP Bhai can you please scan and upload the original cutting also?

That would violate the copyright issue, for sure. Also it "could" promote "business" in the name of Kishore, in future. As a compensation, will post the photo from that article. Only 1 photo ( postal stamp size ) was appearing in that article.
kcp
Photo updated
Nimii
QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 9 2010, 10:23 AM) *
Photo updated

ohmy.gif Kidhar????????????????????????????
debjyoti
QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 9 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Photo updated

Where is it?? unsure.gif
kcp
hahaha :-)
http://kishore-kumar.com/?p=16
Marcilo
It is not just money that an artiste cares for, there is something else besides that sometime keeps him bound to the audience. In my case this extra aspect of participation in massive programmes has added an extra feather and I have relished it.

that says it all... money was important but wasn't everything
Marcilo
The audience has in fact created an artiste out of my humble self. Today I feel that I am duty-bound to go on devoting more labour and sincerity

one doesn't need degrees, classical training or certificates. yeh jo public hai yeh sab janti hai..
kcp
http://kishore-kumar.com/?p=146

Original review of Baap Re Baap in Filmfare - 1955
debjyoti
QUOTE(kcp @ Aug 21 2010, 08:40 PM) *

http://kishore-kumar.com/?p=146

Original review of Baap Re Baap in Filmfare - 1955

Baap re Baap is one of the greatest entertaining films of all times,Kishoreda's slapstick comedy and humour is at best here,all the songs of this film are superb too.My favourite is daal kaise gale,a great zanny masterpiece.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.