Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Difficult Songs Of Rafi Saheb
Hamara Forums > Legends > Mohd Rafi
Pages: 1, 2
masoomkamal
Jab bhi ye dil udaas hota hai......hum Rafi Saheb ke geet gungunate hain... aur dil ki
udaasi fauran udan chhoo ho jaati hai.

Lekin Rafi Saheb ke kuchh gaane aise hain..... jo bohot hi mushkil hain. Itne mushkil
ke mujhe lagta hai, aaj kal ke naye playback singers bhi unhen theek tarah se nahi gaa
sakenge. Mujhe ye teen gaane be-had mushkil lagte hain..... aur Sonu Nigam ke Fans mujhe
maaf karen...... 1st and 2nd song to shayed Sonu Nigam ke bhi bas ki baat nahin !

1. Ab Koi Gulshan Na Ujde Ab Watan Azad Hai. Film: Mujhe Jeene Do.
2. Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya-Title song. Film: Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya.
3. Mohabbat Khuda Hai. Film: Love and God.

Would you like to add another song to the list? (But it must be really most difficult).

AzgarKhan
4. Ajhun Aye Na Baalma Saawan Beeta Jaye
5. O' Duniya Ke Rakhwaale
6. Phir Wo Bhooli Si Yaad Aayi Hai
7. Bata Mujhe O Jahan Ke Maalik (What an Alaap)
8. Dono Ne Kiya Tha Pyar Magar

These are few that I can think of now.
Jay
QUOTE(AzgarKhan @ Feb 13 2005, 01:57 AM)
4. Ajhun Aye Na Baalma Saawan Beeta Jaye
5. O' Duniya Ke Rakhwaale
6. Phir Wo Bhooli Si Yaad Aayi Hai
7. Bata Mujhe O Jahan Ke Maalik (What an Alaap)
8. Dono Ne Kiya Tha Pyar Magar

These are few that I can think of now.

Azgar bhai u r right, O Duniya ke rakhwale, is one of the MOST DIFFICULT songs of Rafi saab to imitate. Once I heard the version of Vipin Sachdeva and Mohd.Aziz, on the radio, man I wanted 2 throw the radio out of my window! If you say O duniya ke rakhwale, you Say Rafi!

Jay
masoomkamal
QUOTE(masoomkamal @ Feb 13 2005, 05:55 AM)
Jab bhi ye dil udaas hota hai......hum Rafi Saheb ke geet gungunate hain... aur dil ki

Lekin Rafi Saheb ke kuchh gaane aise hain..... jo bohot hi mushkil hain. Itne mushkil
ke mujhe lagta hai, aaj kal ke naye playback singers bhi unhen theek tarah se nahi gaa
sakenge. Mujhe ye teen gaane be-had mushkil lagte hain..... aur Sonu Nigam ke Fans mujhe
maaf karen...... 1st and 2nd song to shayed Sonu Nigam ke bhi bas ki baat nahin !

1.  Ab Koi Gulshan Na Ujde Ab Watan Azad Hai. Film: Mujhe Jeene Do.
2.  Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya-Title song. Film: Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya.
3.  Mohabbat Khuda Hai. Film: Love and God.

Would you like to add another song to the list? (But it must be really most difficult).

Azgar Bhai,

"O duniya ke rakhwale" is indeed a difficult song, but not most difficult. Mohd Aziz, Shabbir Kumar and other stage singers sing it frequently (though not as good as it must be).
"Ajhun Aaye Balma" has been sung by many new singers in SA RE GA MA PA programm in a very good manner. Similary other songs you mentioned also are difficult but not most difficult.
The songs that I mentioned are not sung by any other singers ever. If I am wrong, please let me know, who sang them ?
One more song is coming to mind and that is: "Mohabbat zinda rahti hai, mohabbat mar nahin sakti."
Regards
/ShaaNAwaaz\
A great topic to discuss . and you are right to put , no matter how difficult the compsotions are , It was like easy ride for his highness . Also since i myself learning singing , and collected some information and Throug personell experiences , the following can be considered as tough parts .

Ek shahensha ne banwaa ke haseen taaj mahal ..LEADER . ( now this is based in raag LALIT - and even a trained classical singer rarely attemt this Raaga , there are some minute twist and turns , which of course a normal listener cannot understand ) LATA STRUGGLES here .

Kahin Bekhayal hokar .. TEEN DEVIYAAN ( a complicated melody - and real twist and turns - but equally sweet ) especially the end part of any antras , as well as the whole nature of the song . RAAG ?

Kal Raat Zindagi se Mulakaat .. PALKI ( My personell favourate - This erotic composotion is not only having great tune , but also many tuf URDU shayari - and morever - it is a Long long song ) RAAGA ? ....

both Antra Part of - aanchal mein saja Lein na kaliyan PHDLH ( only rafi shab can sing that part - i sometimes think he himself have added that effect not the MD )

O duniya Ke rakh waale . BAIJU BANWRA ( no need to explain )
( RAAG dARBAARI KANADA )

The Last Antra of MERI AWAAZ SUNO .. ( i love that ) ( kyun sanwaari hai yeh ...)

navakalpna nav roop see rachna .. ( a real treat for any classical singer - equally great poetry - and a great tribute to Sanskrit language ) ( raaga yaman kalyan ? )

Mere Mehboob Tujhe Meri .... ( a dadra based song , and a lenghty one - equally tough )

Yeh duniya nahin jaagir ksiski ( a pitched and a typical RAFI song )

Bhari duniya mein aakar ( the antra part - especially nazar mein uljhane etc )

Koi saager dil ko behelaata nahin ( this kalawati based song is Real real tough )

Hum ksisse Kum nahin ( as well as most qawallis )

SHER Ka husn ho , naghmein ki jawaani . ( rhytym and melody - R.D burman )

Aji humse Backhkar kahaan jayiga ( the antra part is tough )

HUM bekhudi mein tumse ( a gem of s.d.burman )

there are many more ,, i will list if requested ..,

here are some tough n0n-filmi .

DARD MINNAT KASHE DAWAA.. ( Pooriya -dhanashree raaga )

Aye taaza waari daan ne biha .. ( so sweet so - soft so - tough )

Jis raat ke khwaab ( ONE OF THE BEST OF RAFI-NAUSHAD ) RAAG - PATDEEP .

there are many many others .

bye .
Harold
O duniya ke Rakhwale (live-version) is the trademark of Rafi-sahab.

I've heard many singers sing this song, but they always take the easy way. They take the film version and not the live version. Why did I call the live version his trademark? because he does things out there that I haven't heared ever by any other copy-cat-singer. The special diferences compared to the film-version are:

"mehle udaas aur galiyan sooni" where he suddenly goes with a lot of classical touches to a very high pitch and then comes back down.

at the the end of the song, not 4 times, but 5 times "o duniya ke rakhwale", climing the tone ladder on each "rakhwale". I've heard Aziz, Anwar, Shabbir etc They all did it 4 times.

Other difficulties:
-chirag kahan roshni kahan
-mohabbat zindbad (mughle azam)
-jiska saathi hai bhagwan (nastik or nasik)
-jab bhi yeh dil udaas hota hai (seema)
-tu ganga ki mauj mein
-man tarpat haridarshan (both Baiju Bawra)

And a lot more...

Some will sound easy to the ears, but listen to them carefully, and try to sing them the way he does, with al his variations in his voice. Thats something I cannot explain through email.
ahmeds
I've said it a hundred times, the most difficult song for anyone to sing is 'Dekhee Zamane Ke Yaari'

No one can sing this like Rafi saab did. the hurt the emotion can only be captured by the maestro himself. this song contains range, length, pitch(high and low) and variety.

rahu008
QUOTE(ahmeds @ Feb 15 2005, 05:09 PM) *

I've said it a hundred times, the most difficult song for anyone to sing is 'Dekhee Zamane Ke Yaari'

No one can sing this like Rafi saab did. the hurt the emotion can only be captured by the maestro himself. this song contains range, length, pitch(high and low) and variety.

i want this song sad.gif
SAJJAD
I consider ALL Rafi Saab's songs difficult! Reason: No ONE can sing the way he does! They ALL r cheap imitations - nothing more then that! Clones lack in voice quality\emotions\voice control....Again, if everyone\anyone can sing like Rafi Saab, then we won't be missing\discussing him like we do today! ALL clones put together is not even 1% of Rafi Saab's talent! This is my humble opinion! He was TRULY a matchless singer NO clone can come close to him - EVER!

This is Sonu Nigam comments on Rafi Saab:
“I think that it is pointless to even think of comparing any other singer, however great individually, to Rafisaab."
RafiKiAwaaz
Interesting topic, his songs are very hard to sing because they are unique to his voice. In other words you can't copy Rafi Sahab completely because that is his voice, for him it 's natural to sing the way he does because that is his voice capabilities. Kishore Da sang his Man Re Tu Kahey Na Dhere Dahre but did not have the same affect, not becuase Kishore Da can't sing but his style is different. Without boistering about my singing and my voice, I have had peole tell me that I copy Rafi Sahab's song extremely well, his range is within my voice capabilities. The last song that I sang of Rafi Sahab's in a huge party was "Phalak Pe Jitne Sitare Hei Woh Bhi Sharmaye" and people's response that I have done great justice to his song. Well, regardless Rafi Sahab's song are tough because his range is phenomenal. Sorry my response is not evoke anger, just my viewpoint.
RafiKiAwaaz
SAJJAD
QUOTE(RafiKiAwaaz @ Apr 20 2006, 02:16 AM) *

Interesting topic, his songs are very hard to sing because they are unique to his voice. In other words you can't copy Rafi Sahab completely because that is his voice, for him it 's natural to sing the way he does because that is his voice capabilities. Kishore Da sang his Man Re Tu Kahey Na Dhere Dahre but did not have the same affect, not becuase Kishore Da can't sing but his style is different. Without boistering about my singing and my voice, I have had peole tell me that I copy Rafi Sahab's song extremely well, his range is within my voice capabilities. The last song that I sang of Rafi Sahab's in a huge party was "Phalak Pe Jitne Sitare Hei Woh Bhi Sharmaye" and people's response that I have done great justice to his song. Well, regardless Rafi Sahab's song are tough because his range is phenomenal. Sorry my response is not evoke anger, just my viewpoint.
RafiKiAwaaz

I agree with u on the voice! Yes, that was HIS voice and NO one can sing EXACTLY like him! As with the range, (PLZ dont take it in a negative way) screaming from top of the lungs does not give the true range! I have read an interview of AnandJI (KA team), where he said, most clones have problem with the range of rafi saab. Not because they cant scream but their voice lacks the depth! He should know what that means...since he is a MD:-) He (AnandJI) ended the statement by saying there won't be another Rafi ever!
No reason for anyone to get upset over ur statements!
RafiKiAwaaz
True, there will never be a great singer like Rafi Sahab, he is orginal. A far as my singing is concerned, I will record a song that will be a proof of my voice and it's range. My singing range is very high, no yelling involved. I was just waiting for Kishoreda member to finish his recording studio so I can record few of my songs. I guess the proof is in the pudding. I am waiting to record the song " Na Jaa Kahin Ab Na Ja" for all of you at HF. I hope that happens soon!
RafiKiAwaaz
SAJDAH
Subah Na Aaye Shaam Na Aaye

Jis Din Teri Yaad Na Aaye !

A composition that was CREATED just for Rafi Saab's peerless range !

SAJDAH
LEGENDRAFI
Well, my personal opinion is that we can't just qualify songs with the highest range as the most difficult ones, I mean the songs that have to be sung at a lower pitch, which at times may not be natural for a singer can also be the toughest. Asha ji once said in an interview that Rafi Sahab normally used to sing at a higher scale and it was a challenge for the rest of the singers (in duets) to match him and that she worked really hard to match Rafi Sahab when they both sung together. Now in this light one would have to say that songs like -Meri Duniya Mein Tum Aayi , Kahin Ek Masoom Nazuk Si Ladki, Tum Se Kahoon Ek Baat and others, which are very close to whispering are equally difficult. Yet, Rafi Sahab has sung all of them with such brilliance that one can only applaud and get lost in their melody. In all these songs Rafi Sahab was not only asked to sing at a very low scale/pitch but also to modulate and what a great job he did!
rafik2

Maaf Kar Na Bhai........Yeh Rafi Ki Awaaz kahan se tapak perah ?
RafiKiAwaaz
QUOTE(rafik2 @ Apr 20 2006, 06:35 AM) *

Maaf Kar Na Bhai........Yeh Rafi Ki Awaaz kahan se tapak perah ?

Maaf Kar Diya Bhai Sahab.

I am a 54 yr old person who has seen and heard the best of bests from our greatest Rafi Sahab to not so great Sonu. So I didn't just tapak perah. If voice is a gift from god or what ever then I had a great gift for singing. My life took a different turn. Anyway, let's leave it at that and enjoy the GREAT legacy that Rafi Sahab has left behind.
RafiKiAwaaz
Harold
QUOTE(LEGENDRAFI @ Apr 20 2006, 04:13 PM) *

Well, my personal opinion is that we can't just qualify songs with the highest range as the most difficult ones, I mean the songs that have to be sung at a lower pitch, which at times may not be natural for a singer can also be the toughest. Asha ji once said in an interview that Rafi Sahab normally used to sing at a higher scale and it was a challenge for the rest of the singers (in duets) to match him and that she worked really hard to match Rafi Sahab when they both sung together. Now in this light one would have to say that songs like -Meri Duniya Mein Tum Aayi , Kahin Ek Masoom Nazuk Si Ladki, Tum Se Kahoon Ek Baat and others, which are very close to whispering are equally difficult. Yet, Rafi Sahab has sung all of them with such brilliance that one can only applaud and get lost in their melody. In all these songs Rafi Sahab was not only asked to sing at a very low scale/pitch but also to modulate and what a great job he did!

Thats exactly why I find ODKR the most difficult one, and then in particular the live versions incl the one posted by Sajjad-bhai from Doordarshan.

Rafi-saab starts very low, which is already difficult for a lot of singers. And after that he goes to very high tones and range. Thats what makes this song so special for me, apart from the fact that it is also a very beautiful and touching song which strikes the heart every single time you hear it. And I've listened to it a lot of times. I lost count.

And as mentioned earlier. Singing the song as other singers have done is one thing, but just carefully listen to the way Rafi-saabs sings it, then you'll notice that its something else.

I saw Indian Idol last week and one of the contestans Karunya sang "Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan". All jury-members praised him, but Sonu Nigam said: There is so much more that Rafi-saab brings in this song. He gave a singing example and said that Rafi-saabs cries here at these lines.

He then added: ies gaane ko phir ek baar suno, tab tumhe pata chalega ke Rafi-saab ies geet ko kya ga kar gaye hain.

A diamond is valued by the eye of the jeweller. The same is with songs. If a untrained or unfamiliar ear will listen to ODKR, he probably will be less impressed then a trained and expierienced singer/listener/music lover.

I'm not a trained singer or musician, but I dive into the ocean thats called ODKR every time I listen to it.

Laique
Can anyone upload the songs Please that we have spoken of in this forum?
1)Ab Koi Gulshan Na Ujde Ab Watan Azad Hai. Film: Mujhe Jeene Do
2) Bata Mujhe O Jahan Ke Maalik
3)Dono Ne Kiya Tha Pyar Magar

Any help would be very kind of anyone.
Thanks my friends!
biggrin.gif
Laique
shrikant21120
QUOTE(masoomkamal @ Feb 13 2005, 05:55 AM) *

1. Ab Koi Gulshan Na Ujde Ab Watan Azad Hai. Film: Mujhe Jeene Do.
2. Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya-Title song. Film: Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya.
3. Mohabbat Khuda Hai. Film: Love and God.

I agree ab koi gulshan na ujde ab watan azad hai is one of the top five "difficult to imitate" songs of rafi saheb, one needs to be trained well in order to glide the voice through the rollercoaster of " mandiron me shankh baaze, masjidon me azaan" and the other exquisite aalaaps that rafi saheb treats us with in this jaidev composition.

Another song that is indeed difficult to imitate is "yeh zindagi ke mele, duniya me kam na honge, afsos hum na honge!" I have heard people including sonu nigam singing this song and no one is able to reach the dizzy height that rafi saab has taken this song to. The pathos and the afsos he has expressed here touches your soul straight away. The range is phenomenol as well.

Another one is " jaan-e-bahar husn tera bemisaal hai", a song similar to "chhoo lene do nazuk hoton ko"( Both Ravi compositions) but much more difficult to sing and extremely difficult to imitate the romanticism and the sincerity that rafi saab delivers to this super composition.

Shrikant
nadeem mohd
hi everyone.. i think there is a song in laila majnu .. yeh deewane ki zid hai apne deewane ki khatir aa.... that song was also very difficult...
masoomkamal

I wish to change the words MOST DIFFICULT to IMPOSSIBLE. Other than Ab koi gulshan na and Kaun apna kaun paraya.... can somebody let us know the songs of Rafi Saheb, which are not only impossible to sing, but never been tried by any other singer (or clone, as Sajjad Bhai said) ? I am very sure that the above 2 songs were never been sung by anybody on stage or anywhere. YOUR KIND OPINION RAFI KI AWAAZ ?
nasir
Speaking of the most difficult songs of Rafi, I am amazed to find at least one song that has escaped the attention. And this song is from Basant Bahar (year 1958 or so). The song is: Duniyan naa bhaaye mujhe, ab to bulaale, charno mein .... Why did this beautiful bhakti geet escape the rafians? I will tell you guys why i feel this is a difficult song. (I will use the layman's terms) This begins with an alaap which goes on rising. Right? There, at that high level begins the song. That makes it difficult to sing. Further difficulties: Now, after that high level, each line of the antra goes on rising higher. Example:
Mere geet mere, sang sahare (2),
(higher)... koi na mera sansaar men (2),
(still higher)....Dil ke yeh tukde, (2)kaise bech doo,
(further higher) kaise bech doo....
(higher and then lower) duniyan ke baazaar men (2)...

Please do listen to that beautiful bhajan, and I am sure you will agree with me. Of course there is one more difficult song of Rafi from the same movie: Badi Der bhayi, kab loge khabar more Ram. Other difficult songs have been already noted in these posts here. Another difficult song is: Meri kahani bhoolne wale... from the 1951 movie DEEDAR.

By the way, I cant believe that the songs of Basant Bahar have been composed by Shankar-Jaikishen. So unlike them.
NASIR.
myawan
welcome to the forum Nasir......It would be nice to hear regularly from you
LEGENDRAFI
Nasir, I have to agree with what you have said. Very well observed and listened.
nasir
QUOTE(SAJJAD @ Apr 20 2006, 02:14 AM) *

I consider ALL Rafi Saab's songs difficult! Reason: No ONE can sing the way he does! They ALL r cheap imitations - nothing more then that! Clones lack in voice quality\emotions\voice control....Again, if everyone\anyone can sing like Rafi Saab, then we won't be missing\discussing him like we do today! ALL clones put together is not even 1% of Rafi Saab's talent! This is my humble opinion! He was TRULY a matchless singer NO clone can come close to him - EVER!

“I think that it is pointless to even think of comparing any other singer, however great individually, to Rafisaab."

I think we are missing the point. It is a fact that there will no singer of the calibre of Rafi Sahaab at least in our lifetime or say, the next 50 years at least. And even if a Avatar does turn up, then that will be only because that person may be the creation of a hype. We have seen how the hype works. Shall I remind the undying fans of Rafi Sahab what happened in the early seventies? There might be some genuine reasons for the so-called "eclipse" of Rafi Sahaab during that period. (Remember, the great Sun, too, gets eclipsed for a short time) But I cannot forget how the town of Jhumri-Talayya became famous for its "Farmaish" of the songs of a particular star and a singer. Came the Emergency of 1975. For reasons which i dont want to elucidate, a ban was unfortunately imposed on the popular singer at the instance of a powerful political authority. All India Radio, etc., stopped playing his songs. But then what happened? Rafi Sahaab's songs started to be beamed on the air almost continually on All-India Radio and the Akashwani. It appeared as if there was a pleasant jolt and the nation had woken up from a slumber. Rafi Sahaab was rediscovered as Providence came to his help as It does for all good people. I cannot forget the ecstasy and thrill I experienced. And then there was no turning back till the time the Untimely Death snatched him from our midst.
The second point is it is a great honour to be called a clone of Rafi Sahaab. It will foolish for anyone to think that he can outclass the legendary singer, howsoever fine his voice maybe. The Great Manna Dey himself never stops praising Rafi Sahaab. And we know how accomplished and polished singer he is. Yesudas too, who is an exponent of classical ragas, admits that there is "MAGIC" in the voice of Rafi Sahaab.

The third point is we dont need to be singers to enjoy the songs of the Maestro. Just humming and singing his songs gives us a great delight and transports our soul to heaven.
Regards,
NASIR.
SAJJAD
QUOTE(nasir @ May 11 2006, 11:37 PM) *

I think we are missing the point. It is a fact that there will no singer of the calibre of Rafi Sahaab at least in our lifetime or say, the next 50 years at least. And even if a Avatar does turn up, then that will be only because that person may be the creation of a hype. We have seen how the hype works. Shall I remind the undying fans of Rafi Sahab what happened in the early seventies? There might be some genuine reasons for the so-called "eclipse" of Rafi Sahaab during that period. (Remember, the great Sun, too, gets eclipsed for a short time) But I cannot forget how the town of Jhumri-Talayya became famous for its "Farmaish" of the songs of a particular star and a singer. Came the Emergency of 1975. For reasons which i dont want to elucidate, a ban was unfortunately imposed on the popular singer at the instance of a powerful political authority. All India Radio, etc., stopped playing his songs. But then what happened? Rafi Sahaab's songs started to be beamed on the air almost continually on All-India Radio and the Akashwani. It appeared as if there was a pleasant jolt and the nation had woken up from a slumber. Rafi Sahaab was rediscovered as Providence came to his help as It does for all good people. I cannot forget the ecstasy and thrill I experienced. And then there was no turning back till the time the Untimely Death snatched him from our midst.
The second point is it is a great honour to be called a clone of Rafi Sahaab. It will foolish for anyone to think that he can outclass the legendary singer, howsoever fine his voice maybe. The Great Manna Dey himself never stops praising Rafi Sahaab. And we know how accomplished and polished singer he is. Yesudas too, who is an exponent of classical ragas, admits that there is "MAGIC" in the voice of Rafi Sahaab.

The third point is we dont need to be singers to enjoy the songs of the Maestro. Just humming and singing his songs gives us a great delight and transports our soul to heaven.
Regards,
NASIR.

wacko.gif huh.gif So, what's the point? U said the same thing! So, how did i miss the point? blink.gif IMHO, there is NO easy song of Rafi saab! PPL can sing his songs but that does NOT mean they r doing 100% justice to his songs! Even the "easy" numbers....Maybe, i am truly confussed wacko.gif
nasir
QUOTE(SAJJAD @ May 12 2006, 12:59 AM) *

QUOTE(nasir @ May 11 2006, 11:37 PM) *

Regards,
NASIR.

wacko.gif huh.gif So, what's the point? U said the same thing! So, how did i miss the point? blink.gif IMHO, there is NO easy song of Rafi saab! PPL can sing his songs but that does NOT mean they r doing 100% justice to his songs! Even the "easy" numbers....Maybe, i am truly confussed wacko.gif

smile.gif I admire your fidelity to Rafi Sahaab's songs. Truly said that there is no easy song of his since no one can do hundred percent justice to it. And that is where the charm, the wonder, the magic, the thrill and fun lies. If someone were able to do 100 per cent justice to his songs, would Rafi Sahaab be still remembered? This is a cruel world: Loag Chadthe Suraj ki Pooja Karte hain, aur Chamatkaar ko Namaskaar kiya Jaata. Rafi Sahaab ka Gaane ya Geet, ya Ghazlen ya koi aur peshkash ham sab ko mantr-mugd (enchants) kar deti hain - and it is there that he is simply unimitable and unreachable. So please dont be confused. smile.gif
Regards,
NASIR
unni
QUOTE(nasir @ May 11 2006, 02:07 PM) *
Came the Emergency of 1975. For reasons which i dont want to elucidate, a ban was unfortunately imposed on the popular singer at the instance of a powerful political authority. All India Radio, etc., stopped playing his songs. But then what happened?
NASIR.

Mohd. Rafi's songs were never banned from the air-waves.

During the "EMERGENCY", the songs of Kishore Kumar were banned on AIR, at the behest of Sanjay Gandhi, son of the Prime Minister, Smt. Indira Gandhi, ostensibly because he did not perform/record on their behalf.
nasir
QUOTE(unni @ May 12 2006, 11:51 PM) *

Came the Emergency of 1975. For reasons which i dont want to elucidate, a ban was unfortunately imposed on the popular singer at the instance of a powerful political authority. All India Radio, etc., stopped playing his songs. But then what happened?
NASIR.

During the "EMERGENCY", the songs of Kishore Kumar were banned on AIR, at the behest of Sanjay Gandhi, son of the Prime Minister, Smt. Indira Gandhi, ostensibly because he did not perform/record on their behalf.

Whoever said about the ban on Rafi Sahaab? I did not want to name the singer (since you have named him now - Kishore Kumar - thats all) And what did i say next? The Radio stations started beaming Rafi's songs continually. Or did you not get the entire post? Yes, the reason for the ban on Kishore Kumar I did not want to mention out of prudence.
Anyway, since you do know something about the subject, tell me is it true or is it just a rumour, that in fact it was Rafi Sahaab who requested the authorities to remove the ban on that singer? I will be waiting to hear from you on that.
Regards.
NASIR.
Harold
QUOTE(nasir @ May 13 2006, 12:40 AM) *

NASIR.

Whoever said about the ban on Rafi Sahaab? I did not want to name the singer (since you have named him now - Kishore Kumar - thats all) And what did i say next? The Radio stations started beaming Rafi's songs continually. Or did you not get the entire post? Yes, the reason for the ban on Kishore Kumar I did not want to mention out of prudence.
Anyway, since you do know something about the subject, tell me is it true or is it just a rumour, that in fact it was Rafi Sahaab who requested the authorities to remove the ban on that singer? I will be waiting to hear from you on that.
Regards.
NASIR.

What is this "EMERGENCY" ?
nasir
QUOTE(Harold @ Jun 4 2006, 06:37 AM) *

NASIR.

Regards.
NASIR.

The state of Emergency was imposed, I remember exactly, on 26th June 1975 by the government. Indira Gandhi was the PM then and was known as the iron lady.
What happened was her son Sanjay Gandhi (who died in copter crash later) sort of became a virtual ruler and came out with all sorts of regulations which made the Congress Government highly unpopular. One such measures undertake then was the FAMILY PLANNING PROGRAMME. This proved to be the death knell for the government. Targets were given to responsible person for meeting the number. Vasectomy became the norm... All sort of rumours spread then. Some of them do sound serious and even hilarious: 70 year old men being taken for vasectomy; new briidegroom being picked up for vasectomy, and such thing.
Another unpopular exercise was the demolition of structures around the Jama Masjid, Delhi.
Again, high officials and even ministers became sycophant. I remember a picture of a chief minister of a prosperous state (dont want to name) going with Sanjay Gandhi and sheltering him with an umbrella. Some even carried his shoes, it is said.
These are only a few instances of the mockery of the government.
Again, what set the ball rolling was the Judgment of the Allahabad High Court by Justice Sinha against Indira Gandhi, sentencing her to prison. To override all such rulings, the government declared the state of Emergency. Under it the fundamental rights of the indian citizens were suspended. The Police were given unlimited powers and lots of leaders were arrested, especially from the opposition. All these facts actually united the entire India to overthrow the government. And for the first time, when Indira Gandhi being overconfident of the results, declared election, the Congress was wiped off. Janta Government came to power in 1977.
And so on....
However, there were some good points too about the Emergency. Crime rates dropped. The rate per square foot of the residential flats was drastically reduced. The old tenants became owners... and so on.
The above in short was the State of Emergency.
Hope this answers your question.

NASIR.

So you can imagine
Harold
QUOTE(nasir @ Jun 4 2006, 10:21 PM) *

NASIR.

Regards.
NASIR.

The state of Emergency was imposed, I remember exactly, on 26th June 1975 by the government. Indira Gandhi was the PM then and was known as the iron lady.
What happened was her son Sanjay Gandhi (who died in copter crash later) sort of became a virtual ruler and came out with all sorts of regulations which made the Congress Government highly unpopular. One such measures undertake then was the FAMILY PLANNING PROGRAMME. This proved to be the death knell for the government. Targets were given to responsible person for meeting the number. Vasectomy became the norm... All sort of rumours spread then. Some of them do sound serious and even hilarious: 70 year old men being taken for vasectomy; new briidegroom being picked up for vasectomy, and such thing.
Another unpopular exercise was the demolition of structures around the Jama Masjid, Delhi.
Again, high officials and even ministers became sycophant. I remember a picture of a chief minister of a prosperous state (dont want to name) going with Sanjay Gandhi and sheltering him with an umbrella. Some even carried his shoes, it is said.
Again, what set the ball rolling was the Judgment of the Allahabad High Court by Justice Sinha against Indira Gandhi, sentencing her to prison. To override all such rulings, the government declared the state of Emergency. Under it the fundamental rights of the indian citizens were suspended. The Police were given unlimited powers and lots of leaders were arrested, especially from the opposition. All these facts actually united the entire India to overthrow the government. And for the first time, when Indira Gandhi being overconfident of the results, declared election, the Congress was wiped off. Janta Government came to power in 1977.
And so on....
However, there were some good points too about the Emergency. Crime rates dropped. The rate per square foot of the residential flats was drastically reduced. The old tenants became owners... and so on.

NASIR.

So you can imagine

It sure does. Thank you!
nasir
QUOTE(Harold @ Jun 5 2006, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(nasir @ Jun 4 2006, 10:21 PM) *

NASIR.

Regards.
NASIR.

And so on....

NASIR.

So you can imagine

It sure does. Thank you!

YOU'RE WELCOME MY FRIEND. smile.gif
NASIR.
hamza
Hello All Respected Members,

The songs most difficult to sing are

1. Shamma mein taaqat kahan
2. Starting lines of "Subho Uth ke Mirze Yaar ne Liya Saahiban Ka Naam"
3. Ae Muhabbat Zindabaad
4. Ending song of the film Ek Thee Ladki i.e. Iqraar Ho raha Hay mohabbat ka dekhiye
5. Hai bas ke her ek un ke isharay mein zubaan aur
6. Pagri Sambhaal Jatta
7. Gori Tore Nainwaa
8. the song O moray Baalma From film Shair seems easy but difficul to sing
9. The famous Aj Hun aaye baalma
10. Akhiyaan na sang
11.Dekho Bina Saawan Baras rahi badli
12. Starting and ending "lae" of Humko Tumharay Ishq nay kya kya banadiya
13. Apni Tou her aah aik tofan hay
14. The part "Allah o Rasool ka farmaan ishq hay yani hadees ishq hay quran ishq hay" in Ishq Ishq - Barsaat ki raat
15.Songs of Heer1956 very difficult to sing
16.Radhike tu ne bansuri churayi
17.Guzray Hein Aaj ishq mein
18. Jin Raatoon mein neend ur jaati hay
19. Zara Mun ki kewadiya khool
20.manzil ki chah mein

The songs mentioned above have some parts which no one can sing ... which make them most difficult songs ever sung.. there are more still left

Regards

Hamza
masoomkamal
What about Mohabbat Zinda Rahti hai, mohabbat mar nahin sakti....
and the Qawwali from Kohinoor....... specially this part: " Utha hai shor-e-maatam..."

By the way...... once again pesh hai most difficult song (in my opinion) of RAFI THE GREAT.

Ab koi Gulshan na ujde.....
nasir
QUOTE(masoomkamal @ Jun 24 2006, 04:00 PM) *

What about Mohabbat Zinda Rahti hai, mohabbat mar nahin sakti....
and the Qawwali from Kohinoor....... specially this part: " Utha hai shor-e-maatam..."

By the way...... once again pesh hai most difficult song (in my opinion) of RAFI THE GREAT.

Ab koi Gulshan na ujde.....

In my opinion, all the songs of Rafi Sahaab are difficult to sing. This is the reason why comparatively only a few singers attempt his songs. Then among those songs are the categories of songs most difficult to sing. Personally, I have opted for the song: DUNIYA NA BHAAYE MUJHE AB TO BULAALE (from Basant Bahaar -1957) and reasons for it appear in my post somewhere above.
Yes, in the song you quoted.. the line: CHALI AAA, CHALI AAA, CHALI AAA....is really difficult one to imitate, and that goes right inside the heart.
Regarding KOHINOOR's song: (which is a duet with Lata), Yes...the wordings UTHA HAI SHOR-E-MAATAM ...is a treat... (Note: How the lyrics and the tune and the voice are in harmony with the mood there). I feel that Rafi Sahaab has sung that one with ease.
Once again, please listen to that Bhakti Geet of Rafi Sahaab - it is really a difficult one.
smile.gif

NASIR.
masoomkamal

I will be very grateful if any of our esteemed members please upload the above mentioned song or qawwali

"Chalenge teer jab dil par to armaanon ka kya hoga from film Kohinoor."

Please listen the song and feel the divine quality of Rafi Saheb.
joshi
QUOTE(masoomkamal @ Jun 27 2006, 02:05 AM) *

I will be very grateful if any of our esteemed members please upload the above mentioned song or qawwali

"Chalenge teer jab dil par to armaanon ka kya hoga from film Kohinoor."

Please listen the song and feel the divine quality of Rafi Saheb.

Ye lijiye masoomkamal ji...

humble_rafi
chalenge teer jab dil par to armaanon ka kya hoga (kohinoor)

RAFI SAHAB and LATA MANGESHKAR
unni
There are other singers who do a decent job while singing songs originally rendered by Rafi-sahab. For example, I had to be satisfied with Sonu Nigam's recording of "Akhiyan Sang Akhiyan" until I obtained a recording of the original in Rafi-sahab's voice (courtesy of HF). I thought SN did a good job. But having heard the original, I felt something was missing. It's hard to describe. Maybe I'm prejudiced. Or maybe we prefer the original to a version --- whatever.

What I find distinctive in Rafi-sahab is how he elevates a bad composition into an acceptable one, a mediocre song into a good one, a good one into a great one, a great song into an eternal classic. The tune and lyrics may be pedestrian, but one can never find anything lacking in Rafi-sahab's rendition.

Frankly, I'd be totally at a loss to say which were the most difficult ones for him to sing. For he made them sound so easy. Perhaps it was easy only for him! The true test would be to listen to his songs sung by other singers. That would reveal the difficulty in rendering a particular song.
nasir
QUOTE(unni @ Jun 27 2006, 04:10 AM) *

There are other singers who do a decent job while singing songs originally rendered by Rafi-sahab. For example, I had to be satisfied with Sonu Nigam's recording of "Akhiyan Sang Akhiyan" until I obtained a recording of the original in Rafi-sahab's voice (courtesy of HF). I thought SN did a good job. But having heard the original, I felt something was missing. It's hard to describe. Maybe I'm prejudiced. Or maybe we prefer the original to a version --- whatever.

What I find distinctive in Rafi-sahab is how he elevates a bad composition into an acceptable one, a mediocre song into a good one, a good one into a great one, a great song into an eternal classic. The tune and lyrics may be pedestrian, but one can never find anything lacking in Rafi-sahab's rendition.

Frankly, I'd be totally at a loss to say which were the most difficult ones for him to sing. For he made them sound so easy. Perhaps it was easy only for him! The true test would be to listen to his songs sung by other singers. That would reveal the difficulty in rendering a particular song.

Great Analysis excl.gif
What observations (or should I say : Ears !).
Reminds me what I heard from Bhupinder on a TV Channel a year or so ago. He revealed how the song he was to sing along with Rafi Sahaab, the latter made improvisations for him and the results were great.
That was one instance. I am sure there might have been other instances too where other singers might have benefited from Rafi Sahaab.

Nasir.
masoomkamal

Dear Joshi aur Humble Rafi......!
Nawazish .... karam ...... Shukriya.... Maherbaani !
Harold
from the never-ending list a few more after my fav ODKR:

-Chirag Kahan Roshni Kahan
in the antara he jumpes to a very high pitch which I find very difficult/impossible to sing (for me).
Example: Ye kaise dastoor yahan....

-Ya Meri Manzil Bata

-Jab Bhi Ye Dil Udaas Hota Hai (Seema)
SAJDAH
In my view, EVERY song that Rafi Saab has ever sung is SIMPLE !

Hey, before this statement of mine drives anyone into terminal shock, here's what i meant - that ALL of Rafi Saab's songs ( NO exceptions !) are deceptively simple !
If that weren't true, has anyone and i mean ANYONE ever IMPROVED upon an original Rafi Saab song ???? NEVER ! Surely this is not for any lack of talented impersonators of Rafi Saab who seem to be spawning all over the world ? I have nothing against them ( May their tribe increase !). They worship Rafi Saab, i do too - so we have SOMETHING at least in common !

Not everyone on this planet is / was born to sing ( or to take it up as a vocation / profession whatever !).
And nothing in the world is going to convince me otherwise.

There's NO way, one can IMPROVE upon PERFECTION and Rafi Saab's voice and music exemplifies ( The present tense is DELIBERATE !) it.

Any song when it is first created is lonely, incomplete and (dare i say it) ordinary without that one voice which would help embellish it and draw out its unique beauty. Which is what Rafi Saab was to the countless number of songs his voice graced. It was HIS voice and peerless style of singing that made ALL the difference to a song.

Here's the 'verdict' - for the record there is NO such thing as an 'easy' Rafi Saab song !
I am ready to pawn my SOUL to the first person who thinks otherwise and also has the 'EVIDENCE' to back it up.

Here's a passing comment a quote rather : ''It requires wisdom to understand wisdom; the music is nothing if the audience is deaf''.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go back to my vow of silence - if i don't, it would be a classic case of ''Hum Bolega Toh Bologe Ke Bolta Hai'' ( a la Kishore-da / Pran in the movie 'Kasauti' ).

SAJDAH
nasir
QUOTE(SAJDAH @ Jul 6 2006, 09:15 PM) *

Hey, before this statement of mine drives anyone into terminal shock, here's what i meant - that ALL of Rafi Saab's songs ( NO exceptions !) are deceptively simple !
If that weren't true, has anyone and i mean ANYONE ever IMPROVED upon an original Rafi Saab song ???? NEVER ! Surely this is not for any lack of talented impersonators of Rafi Saab who seem to be spawning all over the world ? I have nothing against them ( May their tribe increase !). They worship Rafi Saab, i do too - so we have SOMETHING at least in common !

Not everyone on this planet is / was born to sing ( or to take it up as a vocation / profession whatever !).

There's NO way, one can IMPROVE upon PERFECTION and Rafi Saab's voice and music exemplifies ( The present tense is DELIBERATE !) it.

Any song when it is first created is lonely, incomplete and (dare i say it) ordinary without that one voice which would help embellish it and draw out its unique beauty. Which is what Rafi Saab was to the countless number of songs his voice graced. It was HIS voice and peerless style of singing that made ALL the difference to a song.

Here's the 'verdict' - for the record there is NO such thing as an 'easy' Rafi Saab song !
I am ready to pawn my SOUL to the first person who thinks otherwise and also has the 'EVIDENCE' to back it up.

Here's a passing comment a quote rather : ''It requires wisdom to understand wisdom; the music is nothing if the audience is deaf''.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go back to my vow of silence - if i don't, it would be a classic case of ''Hum Bolega Toh Bologe Ke Bolta Hai'' ( a la Kishore-da / Pran in the movie 'Kasauti' ).

SAJDAH

laugh.gif laugh.gif A vow of silence? Yes, we know that silence is golden; but remember, speech is nothing less than silvern.
By the way, you put it so amazingly simple: Rafi Sahaab's songs "seem simple"; but try to sing and then we know what it takes.

Sajdah, believe me after the passing away of Rafi Sahaab, I lost all interest in listening to new songs, or even humming them.

NASIR.
nasir
QUOTE(Harold @ Jul 3 2006, 11:01 PM) *

in the antara he jumpes to a very high pitch which I find very difficult/impossible to sing (for me).

-Ya Meri Manzil Bata

Yes my friend you are right.
I wished I knew the musical terms to describe Rafi Sahaab's voice. But in a layman's way, I would put it this way: Imagine you are walking on rough grounds (difficult enough song). Suddenly, you come across a peak. It is this peak you gotta scale. How would it feel or look? Take a corrollary: You are on high grounds, and suddenly you find that you have to take a plunge off the peak. How would that feel? Rafi Sahaab's songs are like that. It's so easy for him to rise to a crescendo or go the other about as well. There are so many songs of his like that.

NASIR.
Harold
QUOTE(nasir @ Jul 6 2006, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Harold @ Jul 3 2006, 11:01 PM) *

-Ya Meri Manzil Bata

Yes my friend you are right.
I wished I knew the musical terms to describe Rafi Sahaab's voice. But in a layman's way, I would put it this way: Imagine you are walking on rough grounds (difficult enough song). Suddenly, you come across a peak. It is this peak you gotta scale. How would it feel or look? Take a corrollary: You are on high grounds, and suddenly you find that you have to take a plunge off the peak. How would that feel? Rafi Sahaab's songs are like that. It's so easy for him to rise to a crescendo or go the other about as well. There are so many songs of his like that.

NASIR.

excellent explanation Nasir-bhai!!!

Sajdah-ji, wonderfull analysis of our Hero. Who can argue with you about it? Its more then 60 years that the world has Rafi, and still no one ever even came close to him......
haneef

SAJDAH

Sajdah Ji, I agree with each of your words 100% about Md. Rafi Sahab...You are a such a terrific writer.
And Its true Nasir Bhai, After 1980 songs were not the same after the demise of Rafi Sahab.
I think we are blessed by God Almighty to hear this Heavenly Voice while still on Earth.
I don't know much about Tansen as other people might... but in my sense Md. Rafi Sahab was the best singer the world has ever witnessed. Its the Month of July Again and 26 Years have passed by since his death.....And the craze for his songs still grows strong each day.....Reminds me that a year has passed and I still don't have all of this great singers song yet...But I am getting there, Thanks to HF.
Haneef
nasir
QUOTE(haneef @ Jul 7 2006, 10:08 PM) *

SAJDAH

Sajdah Ji, I agree with each of your words 100% about Md. Rafi Sahab...You are a such a terrific writer.
And Its true Nasir Bhai, After 1980 songs were not the same after the demise of Rafi Sahab.
I think we are blessed by God Almighty to hear this Heavenly Voice while still on Earth.
I don't know much about Tansen as other people might... but in my sense Md. Rafi Sahab was the best singer the world has ever witnessed. Its the Month of July Again and 26 Years have passed by since his death.....And the craze for his songs still grows strong each day.....Reminds me that a year has passed and I still don't have all of this great singers song yet...But I am getting there, Thanks to HF.
Haneef

AMEEN TO ALL THAT.
By the way, I had read somewhere that there was going to be some Gharaana of Rafi Sahaab. Any news on that? Are they still moving the government for conferring Bharat Ratna on him? And what ahout the place of his grave? I know it is damaged. But the Sangeet Akademy was supposed to make some sort of mausoleum....
Anyway, it is prayer for him that May his soul rest in eternal peace.

NASIR.
haneef
Nasir Bhai,
Unfortunately I am thousands of Miles away from India, So I have no News regarding this... But I do have a deep desire to go to visit his Grave to offer Fateha and Inshallah I will if I ever go to Bombay....oops its Mumbai Now. And I do pray for his soul too to rest in peace, Amen.
Haneef
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.