Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manna Dey Gets Dada Saheb Phalke Award
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Singers > Manna Dey
sbiswas2005
IPB Image

Renowned playback singer Manna Dey has been nominated for the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke award for the year 2007.

Officials in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting told PTI today that Dey's name was finalised earlier this week by a five-member committee.

The 90-year-old singer will be conferred the award in a ceremony on October 21st by President Pratibha Patil .

Dey, one of the greatest playback singers in Indian cinema, ruled the playback music scene from the 1950s to the 1970s. He has sung more than 3,500 songs.

The award, named after the father of Indian cinema Dada Saheb Phalke, is the highest honour in Indian Cinema.
hildebrand
God bless him. The award is indeed honoured. clap2.gif
Aditya Pant
Wonderful news!
Faraaj73
One has to wonder why its taken so many decades to give an iconic name like Manna Dey this award...
venkat
Long overdue!!

By going to Manna Dey, the award itself becomes respectable now!! smile.gif

Venkat
humble_rafi
Its too late, he is 90 yrs now. But congrats Manna Da.
yogihit
congr8s!!!
parag_sankla
Indeed a great news. Congratulations to Manna da.

venkat
Today, a couple of Telugu TV channels have declared in Telugu, "Famous music director, Manna Dey, being given Dada Saheb Phalke Award!"

So much for the standard of today's media!!! sad.gif

Venkat
simplefable
Wonderful news indeed !! Manna Da has won a much more prestigious award long back, a place in the heart of every genuine music lover across the nation ! This award comes as belated as it can be, but looking at the positive side and the impact of His singing...where can we find a singer who stopped singing almost twenty years back in films getting any award ?? smile.gif Long live Manna Da !

Here is a portrait of Manna Da..done by his die-hard fan ! My favorite picture... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
nasir
That's Good News.

Manna Dey definitely deserved this award a long time ago. Is it, that those who deserve an award get it last?

There's sort of gut feeling I get that Mohammed Rafi will be awarded the Bharat Ratna sooner than later.

surhall

hi
very happy and best music lover, now day Dada in usa.
dhall
sbiswas2005
Thanks to all for giving your valuable opinions. According to Simplefable it comes as belated....but as he is our pride....definitely this award is our pride also. Actually he deserves the most prestigious award of India "Bharat Ratna". We, the fans, are raising our voice regarding this matter. I think all of you will agree with me. Moreover, you can congratulate or greet him through his website. All of your messages will be sent to the Legend.

QUOTE(venkat @ Sep 30 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Today, a couple of Telugu TV channels have declared in Telugu, "Famous music director, Manna Dey, being given Dada Saheb Phalke Award!"

Venkat

Venkatji...you are to some extent right...Because they should mention him as one of the legendary singers from India. But on the other hand they are to some extent right. Because most of the people do not know much about his music direction not only in Hindi but also in Bengali Film and non film songs. rolleyes.gif He is a great music director as well.

But he is popularly known as a singer rather than a music director. ohmy.gif

Subir
venkat
QUOTE(sbiswas2005 @ Oct 1 2009, 03:44 PM) *

Thanks to all for giving your valuable opinions. According to Simplefable it comes as belated....but as he is our pride....definitely this award is our pride also. Actually he deserves the most prestigious award of India "Bharat Ratna". We, the fans, are raising our voice regarding this matter. I think all of you will agree with me. Moreover, you can congratulate or greet him through his website. All of your messages will be sent to the Legend.

QUOTE(venkat @ Sep 30 2009, 07:46 PM) *

Venkat

Venkatji...you are to some extent right...Because they should mention him as one of the legendary singers from India. But on the other hand they are to some extent right. Because most of the people do not know much about his music direction not only in Hindi but also in Bengali Film and non film songs. rolleyes.gif He is a great music director as well.

But he is popularly known as a singer rather than a music director. ohmy.gif

Subir

Subir Ji,

I would be extremely surprised if those Telugu TV channel folks knew even one song for which Manna Dey composed music!!! It is my bet that they do not know even five songs that he had sung!!! rolleyes.gif

Anyways, it is truly a great occasion wherein his greatness is being recognized in a befitting way! I, for one, love many songs of his! I also admire his candid and objective assessment of other legends!! smile.gif

Venkat
bawlachintu
Congrats subir biggrin.gif

Atlast DSP award authorities couldn't resist it giving to a man
who should have got it 20 years before.

Can't comment on other singers and what they should get. rolleyes.gif
shashankchickermane72
QUOTE(bawlachintu @ Oct 2 2009, 12:37 AM) *

He is the only one the longest living playback singer in the Male singers. So, I think he got this award this time is very good time also.

So i m sharing rare photos of mannadey to u all!

shashankchickermane72
QUOTE(shashankchickermane72 @ Oct 3 2009, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(bawlachintu @ Oct 2 2009, 12:37 AM) *

He is the only one the longest living playback singer in the Male singers. So, I think he got this award this time is very good time also.

So i m sharing rare photos of mannadey to u all!

On 21 Oct 2009, the legend Playback Singer Manna dey got "Dadasaheb Phalke Award" in the hands of President Pratibha Patil in Rastrapati Bhavan in Delhi. So, I am sharing some photos of his. rolleyes.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.