Hamara Forums > Legends > Asha Bhonsle
Pages: 1, 2
Sharmila-Sweet
Unforgettable Asha

Asha Bhosle’s returns to puja songs with her Bengali album Mone Rekho

By Sonashree Basu
Posted On Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 07:33:27 PM

Asha launches her new album

The golden voice of Asha Bhosle, that has rendered timeless classics, is set to rekindle the essence of Bengali pujor gaan after 15 years. The new album of Bengali modern songs Mone Rekho was released in the presence of the eternal songstress herself at The Park.

The gracious lady arrived wearing a subtle white and pink sari. In the midst of the razzmatazz, the singer tried to pacify the paparazzi in her broken Bengali by saying, “Amar kotha na shunle amii kintu ebar ragbo”. As she unveiled the album, she asked if she was looking good on the cover. “Yeh bees saal purani tasveer hai,” said the singer, revealing her sense of humour.

As to why it took her so long to come up with a Bengali album, the diva replied, “Pujas are special for Bengalis. Pancham and I did a lot of puja songs during the 70s and 80s but after his death, I lost interest in singing those songs. I heard many compositions but perhaps that chemistry between Pancham and me that created that magic was amiss. Nevertheless, I met this talented man Babul Bose and asked him to create something exclusive. I had also promised to sing for Mahua Lahiri who had started Asha Audio Company with my name 25 years ago. I thought I owed an album to her and thus the album.”

The diva with Usha and Babul

The album is a melange of eight tracks representing diverse moods. Lyricist Shaymal Sengupta who had assisted RD Burman has penned down the lyrics of the songs. The songs range from classical to semi classical like Hoyto aebhabei, Jete parini to kaache while Shey je amar kaalo is a folk song fused with contemporary music. There is a haat or market song Haat bosheche shukrobare and a devotional song O Ganga Ma. Churir chunn chunn is soothing track with a retro touch while Baje guruguru is a peppy number.

Lastly, there is a nostalgic song Din gulo bhola galo na, the video of which was shown to the audience reminiscing the presence of Pancham in Ashas’ life. “I was stunned when she told me she wanted to do Bengali songs. It’s a dream come true for me,” said composer Babul.
On audience request, Asha sang two lines of the famous song Jabo ki jabo na that received a generous round of applause.

Present at the launch were veteran singers Babul Supriyo, Usha Uthup, and Raghab Chatterjee. Usha Utthup pointed out, “Ashaji is an icon and evolving year after year. The jodi of Pancham Da and Asha Di is evergreen.”

“The album’s name is Mone Rekho but there’s no need to remember someone who is unforgettable. We Bengalis should be honoured to receive such a puja gift,” said Babul Supriyo.

From Sarat Chandra to the beauty of Sundarban Asha has a great fondness for Kolkata. She also seemed to have a weakness for Parshe Macher Jhol, Islish Maach Bhaja, Notun Gurrer Shondesh.

“I think Kolkatans are cultured and intellectuals like the Maharastrians,” reflected Asha.
About today’s music and films, she opined, “The simplicity and innocence is absent in today’s films. I don’t see any logic behind names like Kaminey.”

“I feel sad that people download music from Internet. So how will the new singers and audio companies survive? Therefore, I request people to stop piracy,” insisted Asha.

Voted as number 37 on the World Music List, the diva plans to do a Rabindra Sangeet album soon. Asha, who will complete 75 years on September 8, however, remained mum about working with sibling Lata Mangeshkar.

Photos: Goutam Karmakar

http://www.kolkatamirror.com/index.aspx?pa...60467961§xslt=
Sharmila-Sweet
I will never stop singing: Asha Bhonsle
PTITuesday, September 8, 2009 14:18 IST

New Delhi: Asha Bhonsle, the scintillating voice behind evergreen hits like 'Dil Cheez Kya Hai' and 'Sona Re', turned 76 today and the legendary singer says that it is the love for music and the affection of her audiences that keep her going.

"My music is god's gift to me and I believe that I still have not used even one per cent of it. I like to go on world tours and do more stage shows because it helps me connect with my audience directly," she said.

Bhonsle, who has been the voice behind more that 12,000 songs in a career spanning six decades, however she is not very happy with the quality of songs that are being made in Bollywood.

"It is not that there is a dearth of good songs but it is no longer the same. They sound empty. I do not want to sing for the sake of it. This is why I have limited my singing assignments in Bollywood," the singer says.

From cabaret numbers like 'Aaja, Aaja Main Hoon Pyar Tera' to ghazal's like 'En Ankhon Ki Masti' in 'Umrao Jaan', Bhonsle is one of the most versatile singers in Bollywood by belting out hits, which have been mixed and remixed time and again.

She has crooned for yesteryears' actresses Madhubala, Vaijayantimala, Helen and Asha Parekh to the new-age heroines like Urmila Matondkar and Kareena Kapoor.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/repo...bhonsle_1288467
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Unplugged over the years
08 Sep, 2009 12:00 am ISTlINDIATIMES MOVIES

From Helen to Urmila Matondkar, we have seen several seductive strokes of Bollywood actresses over the years. But there has been one common element that continues to impart that extra sizzle to these screen seductresses. It’s the evergreen voice of singer Asha Bhosle.

Born on September 8, 1932 in a small village near the Sangli district of Maharashtra, India, Asha Bhosle celebrates her 76th birth anniversary today. As the supremely talented singer continues to rock even after her platinum jubilee, we trace down her life history from a musical Marathi family to being a global singing sensation.

Asha Bhosle was born to Dinanath Mangeshkar, a classical singer and theatre actor from the Mangeshi village in Goa (from where Dinanath derived their surname). She was trained in classical singing by her father till the age of nine when he passed away of heart disease. Subsequently the Mangeshkar family shifted to Bombay and elder sister Lata Mangeskar started singing and acting in films to earn their daily bread and butter.

Asha Bhosle followed the footsteps of Sister Lata Mangeshkar and sang her first film song Chala Chala Nav Bala for the Marathi movie Majha Bal in 1943. In 1948 she made her Hindi film debut with the song Saawan Aaya from a film named Chunariya . This was the same time that she eloped from her family and married a much-elder Ganpatrao Bhosle who was a personal secretary to her sister Lata Mangeshkar. She was only 16 and he was 31. The Mangeshkars strongly disapproved of her marriage and Lata was not on talking terms with Asha Bhosle for a long time. However with the ill-treatment from her in-laws and suspicious behaviour from her husband, the marriage didn’t survive long. A repentant Asha Bhosle returned to the Mangeskhar family with two children and third still in her womb. She severed ties with Ganpatrao but the Bhosle surname remained with her.

Asha Bhosle continued to sing in films to earn money for her family. But she only got to sing for the supporting actress or vamps, which were the songs rejected by the leading female playback singers of that era like Geeta Dutt, Shamshad Begum and her sister Lata Mangeshkar.

With the texture of her voice Asha Bhosle got a chance to sing for Bimal Roy’s Parineeta and Raj Kapoor’s Boot Polish . But it was with O P Nayyar that she got her first big break in CID which was followed by her first big hit in B R Chopra’s Naya Daur . Soon she collaborated with composers like S D Burman and Ravi. In the 70s, there were speculations of a romantic relationship between Asha Bhosle and O P Nayyar and on August 5, 1972 they parted ways personally and professionally on a bitter note.

In late 60s and through the 70s, Asha Bhosle struck a great alliance with music director R D Burman which subsequently resulted in their marriage. She soon became the voice of Helen who sizzled in the item numbers of 70s. Despite her wide vocal range, Asha Bhosle got somewhat typecast in this period and got slotted for singing only sensuous numbers (for O P Nayyar) or Westernized hip-hop tracks (with R D Burman).

This image of Asha Bhosle changed with the Urdu film Umrao Jaan (1981) where Khayyam extracted the finest nuances from her voice in poetic ghazals . She recreated the same magic with Gulzar in Ijaazat (1987) which fetched her The National Award. While Sister Lata Mangeshkar is known for her sugar-coated sweetness, Asha Bhosle is known for her wide-ranged versatility.

Unlike Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle remained active in playback singing for a much longer period and her songs from Dil To Pagal Hai, Taal, Company, Devdas, Lucky and more recently Aap Ka Suroor are still fresh in the minds of her fans. Rangeela needs a special mention for the way in which A R Rehman got the best out of Asha Bhosle.

Asha Bhosle has lent her voice to several private albums, Indipop remixes, regional films, live concerts and also many international albums. In 2006 she was nominated for the Grammy Awards in the category of Best Contemporary World Music Album.

At 76, Asha Bhosle’s golden voice still continues to rule our hearts and minds with the same magical effect like it did six decades back.

Chartbuster Track Record

Sar Pe Topi Lal – Tumsa Nahi Dekha (1957)
Maang Ke Saath Tumhaara – Naya Daur (1957)
Uden Jab Jab Zulfen Teri – Naya Daur (1957)
Aaiye Meherbaan – Howrah Bridge (1958)
Haal Kaisa Hai Janaab Ka – Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi (1959)
Jayiye Aap Kahaan Jaayenge – Mere Sanam (1965)
O Haseena Zulfon Wali – Teesri Manzil (1966)
Piya Tu Ab To Aaja – Caravan (1971)
Dum Maro Dum – Hare Krishna Hare Ram (1971)
Jaane Jaan – Jawani Diwani (1972)
Hum Tum Ek Kamre Mein Band Ho – Bobby (1973)
Chura Liya Hai Tumne – Yaadon Ki Baarat (1973)
Yeh Ladka Hai Allah – Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahi (1977)
Yeh Mera Dil – Don (1978)
Dil Cheez Kya Hai – Umrao Jaan (1981)
Mera Kuch Saaman – Ijaazat (1987)
Tanha Tanha – Rangeela (1995)
Le Gayi Le Gayi – Dil To Pagal Hai (1997)
Kahi Aag Lage – Taal (1999)
Khallas – Company (2002)
Lucky Lips – Lucky (2005)

Interesting Trivia

- Between 1948 and 1957, Asha sang more songs than any other playback singer, though most were relegated to insignificant films or as second singer in duet with the bigger singers like Geeta Dutt, Shamshad Begum and Lata Mangeshkar.

- Initially it was complained that Asha Bhosle used to imitate the then popular singer Geeta Dutt (wife of Guru Dutt). But soon Asha came out of that image and developed a distinct style of her own.

- Asha recorded her last song for O.P. Nayyar for the film Pran Jaye Par Vachan Na Jaye . Though the song Chain se got many awards, it was never included in the actual film.

- Reportedly Helen used to attend the recording sessions of Asha Bhosle so that she could get a proper feel of the song and plan her choreography accordingly.

Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle: Platinum points

Happy Birthday, Ashatai
The evergreen voice of Asha Bhosle continues to reverberate in the hearts of millions, as she turns 76 today. The versatile singer has lent her voice to yesteryears' actresses as well as new-age divas.
Little-known facts about Asha Bhosle
Awards: Asha Bhosle
Gautam Rajadhyaksha , Hindustan Times
Mumbai, September 08, 2008

She first sang at the age of 10, along with her sister Lata Mangeshakar, for a children’s group song for the Marathi film Kiti Hasaal in 1942. The song is accessible on quite a few of the compilation albums of both Asha and Lata..

She would record seven songs a day in her youth. In 1997, she recorded six songs for Kalpana Lajmi’s Darmiyan in a span of eight-hours straight.

R D Burman and she have recorded the largest number of non-film songs for puja festivals.

She loves Latino music, as did R D Burman. She can sing a Maria Callas or a Mozart aria in her own scale.

Whenever she is in low spirits, she heads to shops that sell kitchenware and buys all kinds of cooking utensils. This elevates her mood instantly.

Under the tutelage of Mickey Contractor, she has learnt the art of subtle society make-up. Chloe is her favourite perfume.

She occasionally works out at the gym. She has devised her own version of aerobics, to strengthen her diaphragm, which is good for her breathing.

She has a western sense of interiors and possesses Queen Anne’s-style furniture in her bedroom.

Pele is her sporting hero. She is also a fan of Michael Jackson, whom R D Burman and she first saw live at concert in Las Vegas when he performed with Diana Ross as a child.

She has natural thick black hair, which she inherited from her mother, Mai Mangeshkar whose hair, when she passed away at age 89, had just started greying.

She is an enthusiastic letter writer and SMS-addict. She is currently working on her autobiography which is going to be no-holds-barred.

She has sung in more languages than any other Indian singer - she has recorded songs in every Indian language as well as in Russian, English and Malay.

She is a fantastic cook with a wide repertoire. She has learnt cooking from the wife of sitarist Ustad Rais Khan and Majrooh Sultanpuri’s wife.

Twenty-two of her hand-made recipes are served daily in her restaurants Asha’s in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Birmingham.

In 1997, she became the first Indian singer to be nominated for the Grammy for her classical album, Legacy, with Ustad Ali Akbar Khan.

Sharmila-Sweet
Happy Birthday, Ashatai
View More PicturesAsha Bhosle's memorable melodiesAsha Bhosle's golden voice continues to mesmerise millions of people. She has sung over 13,000 songs and still spins magic.

Indo-Asian News Service
New Delhi, September 08, 2009
First Published: 12:40 IST(8/9/2009)
Last Updated: 11:33 IST(9/9/2009)

Print

From yesteryears' actresses Madhubala, Helen and Asha Parekh to the new-age heroines like Urmila Matondkar and Kareena Kapoor, are all bound by a common thread - the evergreen voice of Asha Bhosle, who turns 76 on Tuesday.

Considered one of the most versatile singers of all times, this Padma Vibhushan awardee has crooned more than 12,000 songs. On the occasion of the vivacious singer's birthday, IANS goes down memory lane to remember some of the her all-time hits.

Aaiye Meherban - The sensuous number picturised on then screen goddess Madhubala and Ashok Kumar in the 1958 film "Howrah Bridge" has the same magic effect today on listeners as it did five decades ago.

Jaaiye aap kahan - A beautiful and soulful romantic number picturised on veteran actress Asha Parekh and Biswajeet, the song from the film "Mere Sanam" (1965) is one of the best songs of Asha Bhosle. Her silken vocals instantly strike a chord with the listeners.

Raat Akeli Hai - When we hear this sensual naughty number, it sounds an easy one, but it was difficult to sing as Asha had to change the pace - from slow to fast while singing the song from the film "Jewel Thief" (1976). But she did a great job and it still finds place on music lovers' favourite list.

O mere Sona re - A playful romantic song from Teesri Manzil (1968) represents Asha's light-hearted, free flowing singing style. It was highly appreciated.

Piya tu - Asha always gave that extra zing to her voice while singing cabaret numbers, and Piya tu from the film Caravaan (1971) is one of the best among such songs. In fact, it was the catalyst in making Asha the queen of cabaret numbers. Her style of singing took the track to another pedestal.

Dum maro dum - A cult song, something very different from the usual songs created at that time. The versatile singer changes her usual voice for this gypsy track in Hare Krishna Hare Rama (1971). Free flowing yet powerful, it showed a completely diverse side of Asha.

Chura liya hai tumne - A romantic melody from the film Yaadon Ki Baraat (1973), the song has been a hit for decades. It still appeals to music lovers of all ages, making it an evergreen number. Asha's honey-tucked voice has done wonders for this composition, making it a hot favourite even after 36 years of its release.

Yeh mera dil - Pacy, hip with a strong musical backing, the song from Don (1978) is still regarded as one of the best songs of the film. It seems that no one could have done a better job than Asha. The song is energetic and full on punch.

Dil cheez kya hai - Apart from cbaret numbers and romantic songs, Asha also proved her mettle in singing ghazals. A classic, Dil cheez kya hai from Umrao Jaan (1981) is a ghazal that pulls at one's heart strings. The song marked a bit of a departure from Asha's fast-paced avatar. A classically influenced song, this one is one of the milestones in the singer's career.

Mera kuch samaan - A song that was ahead of its times, it pits Asha in a league apart from her contemporaries. Beautifully composed by R.D. Burman and penned by Gulzar, the lilting melody from the film Ijaazat (1987) proved Asha's versatility in the true sense. Soft music and complete focus on the vocals, made it one of Asha's best songs.

Yayi re yayi re - A 62-year-old Asha Bhosle sung this song in Rangeela (1995), which was picturised on Urmila Matondkar, who was only 21 years old that time. Her voice oozed freshness and punch even after so many years. Needless to say, the song was a big hit.

Sharmila-Sweet
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...sha-Bhosle.html

DESCRIPTION: Yaqeen in ankhon ko ye aata nahin hai/ ke main sachmuch tumhare rubaroo hoon. It was a great moment when legendary singer Asha Bhosle graced Bollywood Hungama. In an exclusive 'Down The Memory Lane' interview with Faridoon Shahryar, Asha ji remembered the era of O P Nayyar, R D Burman, Jaidev, Shankar Jaikishan, Khayyam and more. She also spoke about how she added value to her singing with little personal nuances that added life to many of her songs. Asha ji feels 'Umrao Jaan' turned the tide for her career. In a rare gesture, she also sang some of her priceless gems too. Memorable Watch.
MOVIE:
RATING:
LENGTH: 16 Minute(s) 24 Seconds
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle revisits her childhood in Kolhapur
Shailendra Paranjpe & Mohsin Mulla / DNAMonday, February 15, 2010 0:22 IST

Legendary singer Asha Bhosle recently visited her Kolhapur home where she had spent a few years of her childhood, 60 years ago.

Bhosle, who was in Kolhapur last Tuesday for a Balchitravani documentary shooting, visited the two-storey modest building where the Mangeshkars stayed on rent in the 1940s for 3-4 years before moving to Mumbai.

Only two families occupied the building — the Karekar family on
the ground floor and the Mangeshkars on the first floor. For 78-year-old Suryakant Karekar, the meeting revived childhood memories. He had met her in Mumbai five years ago.

“She recognised me and remembered my nickname —Baban. It was refreshing to hear Ashatai calling me Baban. She had not forgotten my nickname after so many years,” said Karekar, who is a jeweller.

Bhosle remembered how she would fetch water and rocked on the wooden horse with Baban. “Ashatai remembered the time she spent in our house,” Karekar said.

During her visit to Kolhapur, she had planned to visit the Karekar family and faintly remembered that the house was somewhere near the erstwhile Hans theatre.

Pune-based hotelier Sachin Mudshingikar helped her locate the theatre, which is now the Ganesh multipurpose hall. Mudshingikar got the location from its owner Ravi Navare.

“I had met Ashatai in Mumbai more than five years ago. She had participated in a programme at Gadhinglaj town to help collect funds for a welfare organisation run by my sister Keshar, who passed away last year,” Karekar said.

Asha’s 10-minute visit to her childhood home brought back many memories. “She recounted how they enjoyed my mother’s cooking and her scoldings,” Karekar said.

He recalled that as children, Asha and he had etched their names on tin sheets used as a partition in the house. Those names were there till the sheets got damaged recently, he said.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/repo...olhapur_1347910
Sharmila-Sweet
Mumbai for all who work hard: Asha Bhosle
Shailendra Paranjpe / DNATuesday, March 2, 2010 1:17 IST Email

Pune: It was the now routine ‘Mumbai for all’ statement alright. But veteran singer Asha Bhosle sought to put in place the appropriate logic while declaring on Sunday that the city belonged to all of India.

Mumbai belongs to those who work hard, she said. One of the country’s celebrated singers, Bhosle could not have chosen a better occasion to deliver her message. For, present at the function to honour her was Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, known for his strong anti-migrant stand.

“Mumbai belongs to all those who work tirelessly, day and night, in the city. Our people (Maharashtrians) should also do such hard work. I worked tirelessly and that is the reason why no one could snatch away what was due to me,” she said. Dwelling upon her own struggles, she said she had to undergo extreme hardship.

Responding to a question in a public interview conducted by a TV channel, Bhosle said she belonged to all of India as she had sung in many languages. At the same time, she was proud of being a Maharashtrian.
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha snubs Raj Thackeray

Yogesh Joshi, Hindustan Times
Email Author
Pune, March 02, 2010
First Published: 13:02 IST(2/3/2010)
Last Updated: 18:45 IST(2/3/2010)

“Mumbai belongs to all.” When legendary singer, Asha Bhosale, said these words in her velvety voice, nobody could say a word. And that includes Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray, who was sharing the dais with the singer when she made this statement.

The snub came on Sunday evening during an event, Swar-Asha, in Pune, organised by channel, Mi Marathi. It all began when Raj, in his speech, said: “Asha Bhosale has sung many songs in different languages. People in different parts [of India] accept these songs as their own. This happened only because she is Marathi.”

After Raj’s speech, television personality, Sudhir Gadgil, interviewed Bhosale and asked her to comment on the work done by migrants coming to Mumbai. “Mumbai belongs to all of India,” Bhosale replied. “No one can snatch the job of a man who works here [in Mumbai] from morning to evening. Our people [the Maharashtrian community] should also show the readiness to work hard.”

Raj chose not to react. MNS spokesperson, Shrish Parkar, also refused to comment. “I have nothing to say on this,” said Parkar. But a slight from Bhosale means a rejection from one of Raj’s political agenda by one of his own. Bhosale is known to be close to Raj and his uncle, Shiv Sena chief, Bal Thackeray.

When industrialist, Mukesh Ambani, and cricketing icon, Sachin Tendulkar, made similar statements a few days ago, they received flak from the Shiv Sena.

This time, however, the Sena chose not to comment.

After the event concluded, Raj and Bhosale had a brief discussion at the exit but what they spoke about was not known.

Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle Live In Concert Toronto - 5th April 2010

Pix here at:

http://filmicafe.com/photo_event_images.ph...5&sort=view
surhall
hi

last two time her not held in toronto
this show i not love . she sing new song, her godfather O P NAYYAR
ji bhool gai. not good. i lft after one hour..oold music lover also not happy wast pof money..
In TORONTO everbeen good show was LATA JI< RAFI<> MUKESH<

asha ji ko o p nayyar ke naam se jaantey hain

they givr old is gold song.
dhall
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhonsle, Javed Akhtar join Twitter

The older generation of Bollywood is becoming more and more pro at catching up on Twitter.

After actors Shammi Kapoor [ Images ] and Amitabh Bachchan [ Images ], it is veteran singer Asha Bhonsle and lyricist Javed Akhtar [ Images ] who have entered into the micro-blogging sphere.

While Akhtar joined Twitter on Monday, the 76-year-old singer has been on the site for quite sometime now but was welcomed by filmmaker Karan Johar [ Images ] on Tuesday.

"Apologies for my late twitter announcement... the legend... and the voice that nurtured my love for the movies @ashabhonsle is in the house!!!(sic)," Johar tweeted.

The Chura liya hai hitmaker already has 3946 followers.

"Pancham jokingly referred to song Mera Kuch Samaan as Luggage Song. My band members still call it that when we are on concert tour," reads Bhosle's latest tweet.

But Akhtar, 65, has already outdone the singer as far as number of followers is concerned, garnering 4638 within 19 hours of joining Twitter.

"Hi everybody. This is Javed Akhtar joining the twitter club. Hope to share ideas, thoughts, feelings, experiences with you all. May I!" he wrote in his very first tweet.

The lyricist was welcomed by Johar as well, who wrote, "@javedakhtarjadu adds to twitter humour and perspective!!! Follow the man and his cartloads of wisdom!!"

Sharmila-Sweet
Helen's chocolate treat to Asha
By IANS, 13 June, 2010

Legendary singer Asha Bhonsle, who has crooned numerous numbers for yesteryears' dancing diva Helen, says the latter used to send chocolates for every number she liked.

'Helen-ji used to call me before a recording and say 'Asha-ji mein gaa rahi hoon. Pyaar se gaayega'. Wonderful, elegant lady,' Asha posted on her Twitter homepage.

'If she particularly liked a song, Helen-ji used to send me chocolates. (I) never asked her if she actually ate chocolates. Must ask her,' she added.

The 76-year-old has voiced numerous cabaret number for Helen like 'Piya tu ab to aaja', 'O haseena zulfoon wali' and 'Yeh mera dil'.

Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle on the sets of 'Indian Idol 5'

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...#39;/index.html
Sharmila-Sweet
Sharing the Idol stage with Asha Bhosle!
June 23, 2010 12:38 IST

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/2...dol-5-recap.htm
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle turns 77
By: IANS Date: 2010-09-07 Place: Mumbai

She has sung more than 12,000 songs in 18 languages, been honoured with the Padma Vibhushan and is still raring to go. Singing legend Asha Bhosle will celebrate her 77th birthday Wednesday with her position in B-town still strong and her legion of fans intact.

After for over six decades in the industry, her voice remains seamless. And as she rustles her beautiful silk saris, with jewellery to match, Asha's style too makes a lasting statement.

The singer, who started singing at a very young age, is known for her versatality. After crooning a series of hits for the Hindi film industry's dancing queen Helen, she was tagged as a cabaret singer.

But she dispelled that notion when she went behind the mike to croon Maang ke saath tumhara for Dilip Kumar-Vyjayantimala- starrer Naya Daur (1957). It established her as a singer to reckon with.

Since then, there has been no looking back.

She collaborated with renowned musicians of her time like Ravi, Khayyam and Shankar Jaikishan, but Asha's real talent was exploited by composer R.D. Burman, who was instrumental in bringing her out of her elder sister and singing legend Lata Mangeshkar's shadow. Asha and Burman later married.

Songs like Dum maro dum - Hare Rama, Hare Krishna, Mehbooba mehbooba - Sholay, Mera kuch saaman - Ijaazat, Piya tu ab to aaja - Caravan and Chura liya hai tum ne - Yaadon Ki Baraat bear testament to the amazing creativity of the Asha-Burman combination.

"Pancham (Burman) had this unique quality of bringing out the best in every artiste by making him or her feel comfortable. He knew how to make me sing to get the maximum effect in every situation," Asha said.

Known for her voice range, Asha has sung in over 18 languages, including Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, English, Russian, Czech, Nepali and Malay.

Adding to her list, recently she crooned her first Kannada song for composer Veera Samarth who was overwhelmed with her professionalism even at this age.

"Didi took just two-and-a-half hours to sing the song. And the rehearsal of the song was done a day earlier. Asha didi wrote the lyrics in Hindi in her own handwriting and what a song it was. I was in tears when she completed the song. I am sure it would be one of the most brilliant songs in Kannada," Samarth said.

Not just that. She has cut many albums and was recently named among the top 20 music icons of the past 50 years by a leading news network.

She doesn't shy away from new technology either. Buoyed by the Twitter mania, she too joined the microblogging site. Usually she posts music and film trivia, but sometimes uses it as a tool to express her views on current topics.

Recently the singer posted her comment on the controversial Commonwealth Games saying "CWG has become DMG (Disaster Management Games)."

She loves reading.

"I love to read. When I was around 13-14, I used to spend the entire night reading under the street lights filtering in through the open door. There was no electricity," she said.

"I read Marathi literature, Marathi translations of all famous Bengali and Hindi novels. The books enriched me. All of my three children are very well read. Every child in this country must study. 'Padhai' is knowledge," said the singer who enjoys cooking as well.

Composer Shamir Tandon described her as "versatility personified - that's Asha Bhosle. She is the best human being I've ever met. She is just like a mother to me."

Even after so many years she is still a guiding force for many budding artistes.

"When she was 18, her voice was very nice, when she was 30 she was excellent, at the age of 50 she was superb and when she is going to turn 77, I want to wish her that regardless of your age, whatever voice you have now, you are still the best," singer Abhijeet said.

The singer can't be more right. In the 1980s she wowed everyone when she sang, Dil cheez kya hai, In aankhon ki masti and Ye kya jagah hai doston for Umrao Jaan.

In the 1990s she again surprised everyone with "Tanha tanha yahan pe jeena" and "Rangeela re". In the 2008 release "1920", she sang "Aise jalta hai jiya".

Yesteryear actress Asha Parekh, for whom Asha sang hits like "O mere sona re sona re sona", "Jab chali thandi hawa" and "Parde mein rehne do parda na hatao", said: "She has sung most of my songs and I'm happy that a great person like her has sung so many of my songs.

"She is a wonderful human being and I love all her songs. I wish her a very happy birthday and I hope that she goes strong for many years to come. She is truly the best."
Sharmila-Sweet
Video:

Asha Bhosle zestful even at 77

http://www.dnaindia.com/videos/1435685
Sharmila-Sweet
Rahman's gift to Ashaji
Prithwish Ganguly, TNN, Sep 10, 2010, 12.00am IST
ArticleComments Post a commentEmail this articlePrint this articleSave

In an industry where relationships hardly ever stand the test of time, double Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman certainly wants to be an exception.

The musician, who is being criticised nationally for his composition of the Commonwealth Games track written by lyricist Mehboob, made a hush-hush trip to Mumbai just for a day before boarding the flight to the US for the American leg of his world tour. BT has learned that while in the city, Rahman shot for a reality show but his main purpose was to meet one of his icons — Asha Bhosle, who turned 77 on Wednesday.

Rahman handpicked 77 roses for the legendary singer to celebrate her birthday but unfortunately both of them could not match their timings and he had to courier the bouquet of roses to Asha's residence on Peddar Road. One of Rahman's closest aides said, "It is a mark of respect from Rahman's side to Asha, a singer he has idolised for many years now. He somehow wanted to make the day special for her. When he realised that he couldn't meet her, Rahman made it a point that the roses reached Asha on her birthday. He also took a confirmation that the roses had reached her residence from the courier company before boarding the flight. Rahman wanted to keep the visit secret as he did not want unnecessary media attention on him at a time when he is being criticised by almost everyone."
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha, 169 others stuck for 13 hrs
By: Bipin Kumar Singh Date: 2010-09-10 Place: Mumbai

Birthday girl Asha Bhosle was on board snag-hit Mumbai-Singapore flight

Nearly 170 passengers who were to fly to Singapore on a Kingfisher flight on Wednesday night were put to inconvenience after their flight was delayed for 13 hours.

Singer Asha Bhosle, who was celebrating her birthday the same day, was also booked on the flight.

The flight, which was scheduled to take off at 11.05 pm on Wednesday, took off only after noon yesterday.

In the last few months, a number of flights scheduled to depart from Mumbai airport have been severely delayed.

The singer with Sudesh Bhosle, RM Kadam, advocate general of Maharashtra and his wife, after they finally boarded the flight yesterday.

According to a new rule formulated by the civil aviation authority, passengers are entitled to receive compensation in case of flight delays (see box).

Bhosle's grandson, Chintu, told MiD DAY the singer had celebrated her birthday before leaving for the airport.
"She was off to Singapore to promote her album.

It's strange the flight was delayed for so long," he said.

According to Mumbai airport officials, Kingfisher flight IT 029 tried to take off twice but failed due to an error.
Passengers were made to alight and board twice.

Among the stranded passengers was a young Judo team. Its members had to sleep in the waiting room as no alternate arrangement was made despite repeated complaints at the airline counter.

"Every time the airline enquiry announced the flight departure, we were forced to wait inside the airport as we had no option.

We were left to fend for ourselves. I don't want to say anything else as it hardly it matters for airline firms in India," a team member said.

The aggravation of the passengers was evident when a few passengers went to the extent of shouting at airline staff and had to be pacified by CISF personnel.

The airline, however, did not specify the nature of the technical fault nor did it say if any arrangements had been made for convenience of passengers during their 13-hour-long wait at the airport.

Ground staff says

A ground staff from Kingfisher airline, who was on duty at the time of the incident, said under condition of anonymity, "In technical terms, the fault is called Ground turn back, which means that the take-off configuration of the aircraft did not support the take-off because of a technical error.

The aircraft was brought to the workshop to rectify the snag after which it was cleared for take-off around 2 am but it failed again.

Since a replacement A 330 aircraft was not available, experts had to be rushed in to fix the problem. By 8 am, the problem was fixed but it took four more hours to get the flight ready."

Singer Tweets
Late last night, the singer put up pictures of her celebrating her birthday aboard the aircraft on her Twitter account saying, "The airline celebrated my birthday high above the Bay Of Bengal! Thanks everyone!" She also said, "Reached Singapore a few hours back and found many Birthday wishes still pouring in! Thanks a lot to everyone once again!"

Rs 2,000-4,000
DGCA proposes a compensation if a flight is delayed for more than two hours

Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle to perform Sufi rock music
By: The Hitlist Team Date: 2010-11-10 Place: Mumbai

Brand ambassador Asha Bhonsle will be performing to Sufi rock music live for the first time at the Global Indian Music Awards (GIMA).

Asha Bhosle

The inaugural edition of the awards, which will honour film and non-film music will be held today (November 10) in Mumbai.

Salman Khan will perform to a medley of Dabangg songs, while Saif Ali Khan will do a special act with Pritam. The music launch of Anil Kapoor's No Problem will also be held.
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle Launches 'Naina Lagai Ke' (VIDEO)

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...a-Lagai-Ke.html

DESCRIPTION: Veteran singer Asha Bhosle launched her latest music album 'Naina Lagai Ke' with music maestro Shujaat Khan. Asha Bhosle also sang a song from the album. Check it out.
Debopriyo
QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Nov 24 2010, 01:05 PM) *

DESCRIPTION: Veteran singer Asha Bhosle launched her latest music album 'Naina Lagai Ke' with music maestro Shujaat Khan. Asha Bhosle also sang a song from the album. Check it out.

it's great sharmila ji -- for the news article atc .. groups recently created by me on ashaji on my signature if u want to share these wonderful articles , news you can join ..a discussion type of group on asha ji ...
Debopriyo
QUOTE(Debopriyo @ Nov 24 2010, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Nov 24 2010, 01:05 PM) *

it's great sharmila ji -- for the news article atc .. groups recently created by me on ashaji on my signature if u want to share these wonderful articles , news you can join ..a discussion type of group on asha ji ...

ASHA BHOSLE LIVE IN RADIO TODAY MORNING LIVE " SONG LIKE YEH RESHMI ZULFO NA ANDHERA NA GHAB RA E YEH .... SOME MUKHDA'S ......A GREAT RADIO SHOW ...
Sharmila-Sweet
Thanks Debopriyo smile1.gif
Debopriyo
QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Feb 23 2011, 01:35 PM) *

a clip of that show was uploaded here ..
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...068&st=150#
Debopriyo
QUOTE(Debopriyo @ Feb 23 2011, 03:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Feb 23 2011, 01:35 PM) *

a clip of that show was uploaded here ..
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...068&st=150#

Ashaji coming on a big screen as an Actress "Film Maheee"
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle to star in Bollywood film
March 02, 2011 15:11 IST

Renowned playback singer Asha Bhosle [ Images ] who has mesmerised generations with her singing prowess and versatility, is making her full-fledged debut as an actress in Hindi film 'Maaee'.

The 77-year-old singing diva told PTI that she took up the project written and directed by Mahesh Kodiyal for "fun".

"I have been singing since childhood and over the years sang songs from different languages from India [ Images ] and across the globe. I can't be repeating myself and was looking for some new opportunity till 'Maaee' came along a fortnight ago," Asha said.

According to the evergreen singer, she had no qualms about teaming up with a writer-director who is a newcomer.

"Even I am a newcomer as an actor," she said. Asha refused to divulge details about the film and her role except saying that 'Maaee' meant mother.

"It is a story set in the urban upper middle class in Mumbai [ Images ] with a social message. Padmini Kolhapure [ Images ] plays my daughter," she said.

The veteran will also lend her voice to a song which will be filmed on her. Asha recalled that as a child, she had done small roles in Marathi film 'Te Maze Baal' and Master Vinayak's 'Badi Maa' in which Noorjehan was the heroine.

"In 'Badi Ma', I don't remember the song where I am dressed in a bengali saree and singing. However, since then I was scared about acting and standing before the camera. Perhaps, I did not like the hardships faced during outdoor shootings. But in 'Maaee', there is nothing like that," Asha said.

When asked what about the movie appealed to her, Asha
said, "It's the title. I just became silent when I heard the word Maaee, since we called our mother by this name. If I tell you more, it would be like revealing the story."

Asha is not nervous about facing the camera after such a long time.

"Acting is in my genes since my father late Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar was an actor. Besides, there is acting in singing as well," she said.

The singer has already displayed her acting skills in many music albums attracting audience with her magnetic charm.

'Maaee' is expected to go on floors on April 24, her father's death anniversary and release probably in June. To a question on whether she plans to produce and direct films after making an acting debut, Asha said she does not believe in planning her future.

"Things have just happened for me," she added. Asha regretted that her comments about policemen made at a function in Nashik where she was honoured with the D Lit degree by Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra [ Images ] open university had been taken out of context.

"I did not say anything against policemen. The university offers distant learning courses to three lakh students including prisoners and dabbewalas. I said a course should be designed for policemen," she said.

"Many policemen have not completed their education and the university can help them on this front. Education will enable them to speak well and politely to the people. If my comments have hurt the policemen, I apologise for it. I have no problem in saying sorry," she added.
Sharmila-Sweet
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...ive-Part-1.html

Video
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle's Bollywood Hungama Exclusive Part 2

DESCRIPTION: The living legend Asha Bhosle feels that some classic movies should not be remade, every actor possess unique qualities and relationship are not greater than the profession in Bollywood. The veteran singer also spoke about her super hit songs and new generation cinema in the second part of a bollywoodhungama.com exclusive interview with Content Head Broadband Faridoon Shahryar. A must watch.
MOVIE: Maaee
RATING:
LENGTH: 14 Minute(s) 1 Seconds

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...ive-Part-2.html
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle, who is on a musical tour, expressed her gratitude to fans. 'B'ham & Leicester Concerts were even better than London & I thought that was good. Scared that my luck is going to run out BIG THANK YOU UK !' she wrote.

- tweet
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle, who is on a musical tour, expressed her gratitude to fans. 'B'ham & Leicester Concerts were even better than London & I thought that was good. Scared that my luck is going to run out BIG THANK YOU UK !' she wrote.

- tweet
Sharmila-Sweet
Playing Asha Bhonsle’s daughter is a privilege: Padmini
By IANS, 27 March 2011, Filmicafe.com
ollywood actress Padmini Kolhapure feels she has a role of a lifetime in debutant director Mahesh Kadiyal’s film “Maaee”, in which she plays singing diva Asha Bhosle’s daughter.

Said Padmini: “When the director came to me with this offer I had this strange feeling that it would be Ashaji who plays my mother. My hunch was proven right when the director told me Ashaji had been signed to play the mother.”

Padmini is especially happy since she is very close to the Mangeshkar family.

“I grew up in front of Lataji and Ashaji. I used to sing as a child, though now I’ve lost practice. So, to be facing the camera with Ashaji is a dream-come-true,” the 45-year-old actress said.

“When we met up about ‘Maaee’, Ashaji teased me: ‘You’ve to give me tips on acting for this film.’ I turned around and told Ashaji: ‘Fine I’ll give you tips in acting, if you teach me how to sing’,” Padmini said.

Padmini is getting ready for what she calls the role of a lifetime.

“There aren’t too many such opportunities for actresses these days. And definitely not too many opportunities for anyone to play Ashaji’s daughter. She is a great mother in real life and has tremendous nurturing qualities,” the actress said.

“So I don’t think playing a mother would be difficult for her,” she said.

Padmini has also completed her first Malayalam film, an adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”, set in Kerala.

“These are not conventional roles. I guess this is a good time to be an actress of a certain age in Hindi cinema,” she quipped.

Sharmila-Sweet
Yash Chopra blesses Asha Bhosale
Renuka Vyavahare, TNN | Apr 24, 2011, 06.11pm IST

The noted filmmaker blessed Asha Bhosale and wished her all the best now that she has taken a plunge into acting!

One of the best singers versatile singers India could ever produce, the legendary Asha Bhosale will now exhibit her acting skills on camera too. The singer will be seen playing a mother to actress Padmini Kolhapure in Hindi film 'Maaee'.

Ace filmmaker Yash Chopra blessed Asha's acting debut by gracing the mahurat with his presence.

Maaee, co-produced by Subhash Dawar (Alliance Entertainment) and Nitin Shankar (Rhythm Divine Entertainment Pvt Ltd), tells the poignant tale of what happens when a woman is abandoned by her only son and then goes to live with her daughter and son in-law. The film will be directed by Mahesh Kodiyal.

Though Asha often jokingly alleges that it was Yashji's older brother BR Chopra who preferred her (younger sister) giving playbacks for his films, while younger brother Yash Chopra preferred (Asha's elder sister) Lata Mangeshkar, it was Yash Chopra who cracked the coconut and gave the clap for the first shot of Asha's 'Maaee'.

When asked what it was that drew her to make her big screen acting debut, Asha ji said in her inimitable style, "Well, to start with, it was something that I hadn't done so far. My fans know very well that I do whatever my heart says is good to do. And the moment this story was narrated to me I connected so very strongly with it as a mother and a human being even though it was so far removed from my own life and experience. I knew then and there that there was no way I could let the opportunity to essay this character pass me by."

In this touching story of a present day mother-daughter relationship, the critical role of her daughter is being played by Padmini Kolhapure, who makes her comeback to the big screen with this film. Ram Kapoor has been cast to play Kolhapure's husband, Navin Kaushik will play Asha ji's son and Cadbury girl Shivani Joshi will play her grand daughter.
Sharmila-Sweet
Remixes would not dent popularity of original: Asha Bhosle
Published: Sunday, Apr 24, 2011, 20:51 IST
Place: Mumbai | Agency: PTI

Asha Bhosle
Singing legend Asha Bhosle thinks that remixed songs will never dent the popularity and the timelessness of the original classic numbers.

"No matter how many films are remade and songs are remixed, the original is the best and is always remembered," Bhosle said while interacting with mediapersons after the 'muhurat' shot of her debut Hindi film as actor, Maaee.

She said she had not heard the remixed version of her 1970s blockbuster song Dum Maaro Dum, in the Abhishek Bachchan-starrer that released last week.

"I have no intention of doing so," she added. "My songs like 'Yeh Mera Dil Pyar Ka Deewana' and 'Dum Maaro Dum' were remixed for Farhan Akhtar's Don and Rohan Sippy's Dum Maaro Dum, but audiences will always remember the original Asha Bhosle and the original composers."

Bhosle said she does not watch movies these days. "There are no emotions in today's films. Everything is computerised including fight scenes. It is better to watch cartoon movies."

But the evergreen singer added that she did like Munnabhai movies and loves Hrithik Roshan's films.

Stating that she was not open to more offers in movies, Bhosle said Maaee will be her first and last movie as actor.

"Acting is not my field. Singing is my first love."

Even though she is not scared of being in front of the camera, Bhosle said that doing a movie -- and playing the title role -- was an experiment as well as a risk.

Debopriyo
To Live, directed by Charles Sleichter and Paul Emami and co-directed by Biplab Chaterjee, is inspired by a true story about a father’s journey into the Himalayas to save his ailing son. The music album, that’s just released, has got together an interesting line up of Indian musicians including Asha Bhosle, Sunidhi Chauhan, Sharon Prabhakar, Kumar Sanu, Mamta Sharma and Lahiri’s daughter, Reema. Lahiri informs, “Asha didi’s title song starts with a Gita shloka and she’s sung it beautifully in English, while its Hindi versions are sung by Sunidhi and Sharon
Sharmila-Sweet
Thanks Debopriyo (but there is no need to 'quote' my message) smile1.gif
Sharmila-Sweet
Song recording with Asha Bhosle

http://videos.mid-day.com/Song-recording-w...Asha-Bhosle.htm
Sharmila-Sweet
Lata Mangeshkar to sing title track for Asha Bhosle starrer Maaee
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, May 27, 2011 - 20:01 IST

By now its common knowledge that veteran playback singer Asha Bhosle is making her big screen acting debut in Maaee. However the big breaking news is the fact that the title song of the film will be sung by none other than legendary playback singer and Asha's elder sister Lata Mangeshkar.

Speaking about this, Asha says, "Lata didi has agreed to sing the title track of my film Maaee and I am very happy."

The title track is yet to be recorded and will be scheduled as per Lataji's availability. The song has been composed by Nitin Shankar.

Principle shooting of Maaee is almost complete. The film tells the poignant tale of what happens when a woman is abandoned by her only son and then goes to live with her daughter and son-in-law.

Maaee is directed by Mahesh Kodiyal and produced by Subhash Dawar and Nitin Shankar.
Sharmila-Sweet
Check Out: Asha Bhosle's look in Maaee

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, May 28, 2011 - 11:35 IST

It's common knowledge by now that veteran playback singer Asha Bhosle is making her acting debut on the big screen in Maaee. We got a few stills of Ashaji on the sets of her maiden film

From the images it can be observed that Ashaji has been made to look older that she does in real life. This is because she is playing a grandmother and the makers felt that a few streaks of grey hair would make her look the part.

Principle shooting of Maaee is almost complete. The film tells the poignant tale of what happens when a woman is abandoned by her only son and then goes to live with her daughter and son-in-law.

Maaee is directed by Mahesh Kodiyal and produced by Subhash Dawar and Nitin Shankar. One of the highlights of the film is the title track which will be sung by none other than legendary playback singer Lata Mangeshkar.
Sharmila-Sweet
No body double for Asha Bhonsle

Kunal M Shah

Posted On Monday, June 06, 2011 at 03:40:37 AM

In an industry synonymous with diva antics, Asha Bhonsle has proven to be one of the few exceptions. The singer, who is making her debut in Maaee, produced by Subhash Dawar, did not think twice about doing a high risk scene.

In the scene Asha’s character was expected to fall down and so the filmmakers made arrangements for a body double. However, Bhonsle, who is 78-years-old, was adamant on doing the scene herself.

Our source explained, “According to the script, Ashaji needed to fall on the ground, flat on her face. The makers had arranged for a body double, on location for the shot but Ashaji refused as she wanted to do it herself.

Apparently, Ashaji is very excited about her debut film. In the scene, she was looking at something that her co-star Naveen Kaushik was showing her on the computer, when she accidentally gets pushed and falls flat on her face, hitting the chair behind her head.”

When contacted, Dawar said, “We had a stunt man on the sets and also some body doubles for her. The worst part was that she had to fall down on a marble stone tabletop.

We didn’t want her to do it, considering her age and the risk of the stunt. However, she insisted on doing it and thankfully, everything went fine. We had to send back the body doubles.”

Sharmila-Sweet
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/sl...le/20110607.htm

Asha Bhosle: My greatest fear is having no work
Last updated on: June 7, 2011 17:01 IST
Preeti Arora in Mumbai

Boman Irani shifted gears at 44, handing over the reins of his wafer business to his wife in order to begin an acting career. Aditya Raj Kapoor (son of Shammi Kapoor) faced the camera for the first time when he was in his 50s.

And now, at 77, Asha Bhosle, the fabulously popular singer, makes her acting debut with Maaee. It isn't a cameo or a miniscule guest appearance. She is the protagonist.

In an interview with Preeti Arora, Asha speaks about her decision to choose a path most veterans wouldn't contemplate even in their dreams.

Tell us something about the film Maaee.

No, absolutely not. If I tell you the story, my producer will get angry with me and you won't watch the film. See it in the theatre and decide for yourself.

All right then, tell us about your role.

Well, I am not playing a vamp or a sexy siren. No love scenes were written for me. I am a mother and a grandmother. That's what I am in real life too. It's an avatar I'm comfortable with. My role on-screen is merely an extension of my off-screen persona. It's simple

You have been shooting continuously for the last three weeks in the sweltering Mumbai heat. Even the big 'stars' are complaining of exhaustion. But you show no signs of fatigue.

Oh, well (smiles impishly), I guess age is on my side. On a more serious note, I have worked very hard all my life. I have brought up my kids single-handedly. So a strenuous routine is something I thrive on, not shy away from.

How did this film come about?

Most of the people I work with become family friends. The co-producer of this film, Nitin Shankar, took my son Anand Bhosle into confidence. They broached the topic with me. I said I would think about it. I asked my daughter Varsha and she felt it was a great idea. I thought didi (Lata Mangeshkar) wouldn't be too encouraging, but here also I got the green signal. I asked my younger sister who also pushed me saying if anybody could do it, it was me. Not one person felt I couldn't do it. So here I am.

What if one person from your inner circle had dissuaded you?

I would have opted out. I was looking for an escape route, which unfortunately did not open up.

Tell us about your co-actors.

Each one is a star in his, or her, own right. Ram Kapoor is a formidable actor. But there are no ego hassles. Padmini Kolhapure is a close relative, so I have always been very comfortable with her. I guess I am lucky.

Since you talked about love scenes, would you consider that too?

I'm not saying yes, but then I am not saying no either. I never imagined I would be acting at my age. Maybe some other things which I haven't visualised might just happen.

Are you close to your kids?

Very! I consult them before taking any decision. My younger son Anand, because of whom I am doing this film, is also my business manager. He keeps track of the royalties and the collaborations with foreign artistes. And I must say he's doing a great job.

Any scene which made you uncomfortable?

Just one. They needed me to get wet in the rain. Since I started singing professionally I never drink anything cold neither do I have a bath with cold water. And now, suddenly, here I was after six decades doing a little jig in the rain! Despite the initial discomfort, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Felt I was six years old again.

You're playing a grandmother in the film. Does it get tiring being with kids all day?

It would if you are not used to being with kids all the time. But my grandkids, both on-screen and off-screen, are a source of joy to me. I can spend hours with them. My granddaughter (Anand's daughter) is also doing a song for this film. Three generations are involved in this film but in different ways.

You're always in the news. Why do the media chase you when so many younger artistes/singers are desperate for publicity?

You have just answered your own question. The younger lot wants publicity, I crave work. Work should fetch you fame not the other way around. The work ethic is what didi and I imbibed at a very early age. The younger lot needs to do the same.

We hear that you are working with Chandra Barot again. Your earlier song with him, Yeh Mera Dil Pyaar Ka Diwana, is still a chartbuster. What can we expect this time?

I have always believed Chandra Barot is a very talented director. But in our industry two things are essential for success -- luck and hard work. Unfortunately, he hasn't had much work in the last few years. Chandra Barot lives across the road from my house. His sister Kamal Barot is a good friend of mine. We have been friends for the last four decades and will remain so. I am doing the songs. Now let's hope for the best.

What's your worst fear?

Having no work. Or not being surrounded by people. Put me in the most luxurious hotel in the world alone and ask me to rest for a few days and I will fall ill.

What if you are nominated for best actress or best debut?

I'd love it, but won't think about it right now. Not getting it would just lead to disappointment. I've had a rough life and its best not too plan too far in advance.

You get along with almost everybody. Is that your true self or a carefully cultivated persona?

No, I hate friction. I believe life is too short for ego hassles. Yet, I am a child at heart. Anger me in any way and I won't keep quiet. I will get it off my chest and sleep peacefully through the night. But the person at the receiving end will probably not get any sleep that night.
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle at Madhuri Badhuri's art exhibition

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...tion/index.html
Sharmila-Sweet
Kher, Bhosle bond on Maaee sets
Hindustan Times
Mumbai, June 11, 2011First Published: 13:21 IST(11/6/2011)
Last Updated: 15:14 IST(11/6/2011)Share more...0 Comments

Anupam Kher has a reason to celebrate. The veteran actor, who’s playing the crucial role of a doctor in Maaee, is thrilled with his experience of working with Asha Bhosle.

The legendary singer is making her acting debut in this movie, and has recently wrapped up the shooting schedule for her p art.

Kher, who recently shot with Bhosle, commented on micro-blogging site, Twitter, “Always felt she could act very well.” An assistant director on the film revealed that in between shots, the two would get chatty about yesteryear music and he would get nostalgic about his favourite songs rendered by her.

It is also believed that after the day’s scenes, in which she plays a patient suffering from a degenerative ailment, he was all praise for Ashaji’s histrionics.
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle’s ‘Maaee’ completes in records time
IndiaGlitz [Thursday, June 16, 2011] 0 Comments

Legendary singer Asha Bhosle makes her screen debut with movie ‘Maaee’, that is directed by debutant Mahesh Kodiyal (who comes to film after a long and illustrious career directing advertising films).

When asked what it was that drew her to make her big screen acting debut, Ashaji stated, “Well, to start with, it was something that I hadn’t done so far. My fans know very well that I do whatever my heart says is good to do.”

Interestingly, initially 40 days was scheduled for the shoot of the film but the film has been completed in a record time of only 30 days due to the extremely efficient production and technical team and the very able cast.

Ashaji who faced the camera for a film for the very first time was a one take artist as a result of which there was no need for retakes which was extremely commendable.

‘Maaee’ tells the poignant tale of what happens when a woman is abandoned by her only son and then goes to live with her daughter and son-in-law.

Talking about the film Ashaji said, “The moment this story was narrated to me I connected so very strongly with it as a mother and a human being even though it was so far removed from my own life and experience. I knew then and there that there was no way I could let the opportunity to essay this character pass me by.”

She also added that in this touching story of a mother-daughter relationship in the present day, the critical role of her daughter is played by Padmini Kolhapure, not only another well regarded actress of Indian Cinema, but also someone she has worked with and knows well.

Also starring Ram Kapoor, Navin Kaushik, Anupam Kher and Shivani Joshi, ‘Maaee’ will release on 7th October 2011.

The film is produced by Subhash Dawar (Alliance Entertainment Pvt Ltd) and Nitin Shankar (Rythm D'vine Entertainment Pvt Ltd) while the music is composed by Nitin Shankar.

Sharmila-Sweet
Priyanka: This one's for Ashatai!
By: Subhash K Jha Date: 2011-06-23 Place: Mumbai

Priyanka Chopra gets all jittery before paying a special tribute to the legendary singer

As most B-Towners have reached Toronto for International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Awards, 2011, Hitlist discovers that the usually confident Priyanka Chopra is quite nervous about her stage performance at the ceremony.

The usually confident Piggy Chops, who has been chosen to pay tribute to Asha Bhosle in a special performance at IIFA, feels this is too tall an order for her.

Says a source, "Priyanka is confident enough to pull off any stage performance. However, this time she is flummoxed. A dance tribute to the songs of Ashaji seemed like a formidable task to her. She wanted to beg off."

The homage to the singing legend that PC will perform is to be choreographed by Shiamak Davar. We have learnt that when Bhosle heard of the tribute plan, she insisted that only Priyanka do it.

Says a source, "Other A-list actresses including Katrina Kaif, Kareena Kapoor and even Sonakshi Sinha were considered for the homage.

But Ashaji felt only Priyanka had the namak on her face, the chulbula sexiness to convey the sensuousness of her throat. Moreover, PC is a singer herself, so she understands the nuances in Ashaji's voice."

Getting pro at it
In the past few weeks, PC has become an expert on Ashaji's songs. Says the source, "Lately, the young actress has watched the legendary singer's songs so many times that she knows them by heart now."

While PC maintains that the homage in Toronto is a 'secret', Sabbas Joseph of Wizcraft, the official organisers of IIFA in Canada, confirms, "Yes, Priyanka is giving a tribute to Ashaji, who will receive an award for outstanding contribution to Indian cinema. Shiamak will choreograph the tribute."

Davar, says, "When one does a tribute to a legend like Ashaji one has to be faithful to the originals. But I love interpreting songs in my own way as always. I love Ashaji's songs.

They're timeless. I've redeveloped the whole era with my properties and costumes. I am sure PC will do a good job."
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle receives the Lifetime Achievement Award at a film awards event (IFFA)By: The Hitlist Team Date: 2011-07-07 Place: Mumbai

Asha Bhosle received the Lifetime Achievement Award at a film awards event in Toronto. But the songstress has been saying that she is just beginning her career. She has a reason to say that, since she makes her acting debut in Subhash Dawar's Hindi film Maaee. The film has Padmini Kolhapure as her co-star. What is age, just a number for Asha.
Debopriyo
QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Jul 7 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Asha Bhosle receives the Lifetime Achievement Award at a film awards event (IFFA)By: The Hitlist Team Date: 2011-07-07 Place: Mumbai

Asha Bhosle received the Lifetime Achievement Award at a film awards event in Toronto. But the songstress has been saying that she is just beginning her career. She has a reason to say that, since she makes her acting debut in Subhash Dawar's Hindi film Maaee. The film has Padmini Kolhapure as her co-star. What is age, just a number for Asha.

Asha Bhosle Bhojpuri Album ..in 2011 With Daler mehendi . & Mika!
Sharmila-Sweet
QUOTE(Debopriyo @ Jul 8 2011, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Jul 7 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Asha Bhosle Bhojpuri Album ..in 2011 With Daler mehendi . & Mika!

THANKS DEBOPRIYO
Sharmila-Sweet
at the Chevrolet GIMA Awards 2011 Voting Meet

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...Meet/index.html
Sharmila-Sweet
Asha Bhosle comes out of hibernation for 'Life's Good'
By: The Hitlist Team Date: 2011-08-31 Place: Mumbai

Asha Bhosle with music composer Abhishek Ray at a recording for Ananth Mahadevan's film Life's Good.

The singer came out of hibernation to sing a rain symphony. She was convinced when Abhishek hummed the melody to her on the phone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.