http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_st...ontent_id=81781

What, besides FM, works on the road? There’s no disputing about tastes, but music director Anu Malik says, “I like music to lighten my mood. I like to listen to The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and Main Hoon Na while travelling. I must admit that I am not really a fan of old tunes while driving.”

Oldtime composer Khayyam counters, “I’d recommend that one should not listen to music while driving. It is like talking on the cellphone. Whether one is driving oneself or has a chauffeur-driven car, this can be a safety hazard.”

We respect your concern, sir, but we do seem to need an aural tiramisu on the road just to arrive mentally intact. So here’s an update on desi options that are red hot right now:

• Tips Industries has a winner on its hands with its 30-odd soothing instrumentals. These are artiste-based albums featuring the likes of Raj Kapoor, Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar and Guru Dutt. The cassettes are priced at Rs 42 while the CDs cost Rs 99. Yesudas, Gulzar, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle-R D Burman have been doing well while the language albums include favourites Ilayaraja and R Mohan. Of Tips’s film repertoire, the music of Bewafaa is doing well.

• Sagarika Music has even come up with a special driving companion. Moods and Moments - Safar, is especially for those who want to listen to good instrumental stuff while driving. The album lasts around 40 minutes which makes it ideal for a long drive. The songs are all to do with journeys, like Chala jata hoon, Zindagi ka safar and Chalte chalte. In fact, Avdhoot Gupte, who has arranged the music, has even included the sounds of a horse carriage, oars splashing, and a train to convey various modes of transport Cassettes are for Rs 45 and CDs, Rs 95.

Another pleasant album for the car by the same music company is Love Songs by Vaishali Samant, Avdhoot Gupte and Shivani Kashyap. A cassette will cost Rs 50 and a CD Rs 125.

• Also hopping off the shelves these days is Venus’s Hulchul which has music by Vidyasagar, HMV’s Murder and Hum Tum, as road energisers. HMV’s big hit Baby Doll Remix also seems popular as car music, while Because I Love You, Bobby Friction and a compilation of the latest Hindi tracks named Kuchh To Hua Hai, all from Sony Music, make the list too.