Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Request For Sardul Kwatra Songs
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Kirat Pal
Dear HF Members
Today Radio Shrilanka during 7.30AM to 8.00AM (songs from old movies) included all songs of Music Director Sardul Kwatra because today is his punya tithi.Surprisingly the last songs was not of K.L.Sahgal but by Mohd.Rafi.I request HF members to upload today some songs of this great Music Director.If possible write some thing about him as I came to know about him from radio shrilanka only.His famous movies are Goonj,Pipli Saheb,Mirza Sahiban,son of alibaba,man ka meet etc.

Thanks
Dr Kirat Pal
Faraaj73
QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 06:47 PM) *

Dear HF Members
Today Radio Shrilanka during 7.30AM to 8.00AM (songs from old movies) included all songs of Music Director Sardul Kwatra because today is his punya tithi.Surprisingly the last songs was not of K.L.Sahgal but by Mohd.Rafi.I request HF members to upload today some songs of this great Music Director.If possible write some thing about him as I came to know about him from radio shrilanka only.His famous movies are Goonj,Pipli Saheb,Mirza Sahiban,son of alibaba,man ka meet etc.

Thanks
Dr Kirat Pal

Kirat Jee

Sardul Kwatra was most famous for his excellent Punjabi compositions for films like Posti (1950), Kodey Shah (1953), Vanjara (1954) etc. All excellent albums in that regional language....

Kind Regards
Faraaj
Kirat Pal
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jul 6 2009, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 06:47 PM) *

Dear HF Members

Thanks
Dr Kirat Pal

Kirat Jee

Sardul Kwatra was most famous for his excellent Punjabi compositions for films like Posti (1950), Kodey Shah (1953), Vanjara (1954) etc. All excellent albums in that regional language....

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Dear Faraaj
thanks for this important information.
Kirat Pal
Faraaj73
MUSIC director Sardul Singh Kwatra was among the most colourful personalities of the film industry. Six feet tall, with a stylish beard, well-starched moustache, he was fair-skinned and handsome. His friends called him a ‘ladies’ man’. By his own admission, he was highly romantic. He got his initial training in classical music from Avtar Singh of Lahore. Subsequently, he honed his skills as an assistant to maestro Hans Raj Behl.

He was in love with a Muslim girl, younger to him by a couple of years. Sardul composed some tunes celebrating her femininity and charm. The day he left Lahore in 1947, his beloved’s mesmerising looks lingered in his thoughts. He once admitted that without being in love, he cannot create good music.

After a brief stint in Amritsar, the Kwatra family moved to Bombay. For the first few years here, the family had to face financial crisis. His elder brother Harcharan Singh Kwatra struggled to become a film producer. In 1949, the family financed Posti, a Punjabi film. The entire cast consisted of refugee artists from Lahore. Sardul picked up young actress Shyama for the female lead. In Shyama, Sardul saw his lost love.

Tall and slim, Shyama was a perfect natural dancer. The moment Sardul composed a new tune on his harmonium, Shyama would start tapping her feet in unison. Soon Sardul became her admirer. He began composing tunes bearing her personality.

Posti was released in 1950 and it did well at the box office. Sardul’s music also received critical acclaim. Its songs "Do guttan kar mariyan, Kajle di paaniyan" and "Jaa bhairha Posti" became very popular. In this film, Sardul modified the folk tunes of Punjab. In film Posti, Sardul Kwatra introduced both Asha Bhonsle and Jagjit Kaur as playback singers for Punjabi films. Mohammad Rafi was his obvious choice as a male playback singer. Another female singer Rajkumari, who was introduced to Punjabi films in Kurhmai way back in 1941 by another Lahore-born music director Khurshid Anwar and Sardul used her voice again after eight years in Posti. Kurhmai was the first Punjabi film made in Bombay. Though Amritsar-born Shamshad Begum sang for Posti, but Shamshad was in films since 1939 under the music direction of Ghulam Haider.

Sardul composed music for some Hindi films in the later years. But his most popular songs were from films like Goonj, Mirza Sahiban, and Pilpli Sahib.

Sardul was also a great admirer of Lahore-born actress-singer Suraiya. Suraiya, after Sardul’s prolonged persuasion, agreed to act and sing in Goonj. Sardul created some memorable tunes for this film. Some of these songs are still available in the market. Most of the tunes for Goonj were composed in 1952.

In 1953, the Kwatra family made Mirza Sahiban in Hindi. Once again, the heroine was Sardul’s first choice Shyama. It had a limited success at the box office, but its numbers, which were sung by Lata Mangeshkar and composed by Sardul Kwatra, became very popular.

The success of Posti in 1950 became the stepping stone for other Kwatra films in Punjabi. In 1953, another Kwatra Production, Kaude Shah became a blockbuster. Shyama was the heroine of this film. The folk tunes in this film became very popular. By this time, Shamshad Begum had established herself as the first lady of playback singing for Punjabi films. Three of her renditions "Mere sajnan di dachi badami rang di", "Ajj sohne kapde te chunni vi bareek ae" and "Chhad de toon mera dupatta" became popular. For another Punjabi film Vanjara, made in 1954, Lata Mangeshkar sang some solos and some duets for her second stint in Punjabi films after her great years 1948, 1949 and 1950. This film did not do too well, but its music became a hit. Sardul composed music for another Punjabi film Billo during the late 1950s. In his music, Kwatra simplified the classical ragas to portray nuances of subtle romanticism.

During the mid-1970s, Sardul Kwatra moved from Bombay to Chandigarh. For a short period, he established the Chandigarh Film Institute. During this period, he composed music for Punjabi film Shaheed Udham Singh (another name Sarfarosh). The film and its music did fairly well. Sardul Kwatra composed music for half a dozen Hindi films and nearly 25 Punjabi films. After Hans Raj Behl, Sardul was the most prolific music director of Punjabi films. His last assignment was a Punjabi film Ankheeli Mutiar (1979).

Sardul left India for the US around 1978 where he died an emotional and financial wreck in 2005.
Faraaj73
QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jul 6 2009, 02:27 PM) *

Kirat Jee

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Dear Faraaj
thanks for this important information.
Kirat Pal

Here are two Punjabi songs composed by Sardul Kwatra, as examples of famous punjabi tunes he composed. Both are mp3/128 kbps...

1954 Vanjara - Lata, Shamminder - Charkhe Diyan Kookan Ne Sun-sardul kwatra 4m 08sClick to view attachment
1953 Kodey Shah - Shamshad - Mere Sajna Di Jaati Badami Rang Di-sardul kwatra 2m 36sClick to view attachment

Aditya Pant
Talking of Sardul Kwatra, I have a question. Shagun (1951) is jointly credited to Husnlala Bhagatram and Sardul Kwatra. Does nayone kow which songs in the film were composed by Sardul Kwatra. All the songs I have heard from the film sound distinctly HB to me.

Aditya
Aditya Pant
QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 02:17 PM) *

Dear HF Members

Thanks
Dr Kirat Pal

Here are 3 songs from Pilpli Saheb (1954)

Jab Tumhi Humein - Pilpli Sahib 1954 - Lata - Sardul Kwatra - 128 kbps - 03:16
Click to view attachment
Jinhe Hum Yaad - Pilpli Sahib 1954 - Lata - Sardul Kwatra - 128 kbps - 03:12
Click to view attachment
Chand Sitaron Mein - Pilipli Saheb 1954 - Lata Shaminder - Sardul Kwatra - 128 kbps - 03:13
Click to view attachment

Aditya
Exon
Goonj (1952) songs are available at the folowing link.
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=609962

Exon
Exon
Here are some movies with Sardul Kwatra music. Panjabi movie names are from Faraaj's post.

Ek Teri Nishani (1949) (with Pandit Amarnath)
Jalte Deep (1950) (with T. K. Das?)
Man Ka Meet (1950)
Shagun (1951) (with Husnlal-Bhagatram)
Goonj (1952)
Pilpili Saaheb (1954)
Son Of Alibaba (1955)
Tees Mar Khan (1955)
Char Minar (1956)
Kala Chor (1956)
Mirza Saahibaan (1957)
Lady Robinhood (1959)
Air Mail (1960)
Dekha Jayega (1960)
Gypsy Girl (1961)
Chandrashekhar Azad (1963)

Punjabi Films:

Posti (1950)
Kaude Shah (1953)
Vanjara (1954)
Billo
Shaheed Udham Singh (Sarfarosh)
Ankheeli Mutiar (1979)

Exon
Yadavagiri5
Here are 2 more Sardul Kwatra songs:

Song: Mousam Jawaan Hai

Movie: Chaar Meenaar

Singer: Gita

Year: 1956

Format: mp3

Bit Rate: 128

Duration: 3:43

My rating of Music: 7/10

Song: Thabeeyath Theek Thhee

Movie: Mirzaa Saahibaan

Singer: Lata

Year: 1957

Format: mp3

Bit Rate: 128

Duration: 3:00

My rating of Music: 8/10

Kirat Pal
There was another movie LADY ROBINHOOD with Sardul Kwatra.It has one good duet by Mahendra Kapoor and geeta Dutt---Hum Bhi Tumse Fight Karega.----------maar maar ke right karega
Kirat Pal
Kirat Pal

The song Thabeeyath Theek Thhee ------------ is a marvellous song.
Kirat Pal

Exon
QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 08:32 PM) *

There was another movie LADY ROBINHOOD with Sardul Kwatra.It has one good duet by Mahendra Kapoor and geeta Dutt---Hum Bhi Tumse Fight Karega.----------maar maar ke right karega
Kirat Pal

Was it by Chitragupt or Sardar Kwatra?

Exon
parag_sankla
Yadavgiri5 many thanks for song of Geeta ji. I have provided a cross-link on Geeta ji's forum for this rare song.

Best Regards
Parag
Exon
Film: Char Minar (1956)
Music: Sardul Kwatra

Songs List:

Asha Bhosle:
chhup chhup jaana re karke bahaana re (missing)

Mohammad Rafi, Geeta Dutt:
daudo ji chor chor bhaaga dil churaake (missing)

Geeta Dutt:
hum pardesi door hai jaana (missing)

Asha Bhosle:
jaayen kahan zaalim jahaan ...,
manzil pe bichhadne waale (missing)

Mohammad Rafi, Sudha Malhotra:
jahaan yahi hai, toh aise jahaan ...
teri khudaai dekhi, humne judaai dekhi (3:19 \ 160)
Click to view attachment
Geeta Dutt:
jhoota hi pyaar kar le (missing)

Mohammad Rafi:
maango na paisa, maango na paisa , maango na paisaa (3:17 \ 96)
Click to view attachment
Geeta Dutt:
mausam jawaan hai, sab kuch yahaan hai (3:43 \ 128)

Sudha Malhotra:
maasoom duaayen, tumne maasoom duaayen, yeh toh nanne haath khudaaya (2:49 \ 128)
Click to view attachment

Exon
Kirat Pal
QUOTE(Exon @ Jul 6 2009, 08:36 PM) *

Kirat Pal

Exon

Dear Exon
I recorded this song from radio shrilanka today and the programme of old movies included only the songs of Sardul Kwatra.i have recorded annoncer,s statements also.
Dr Kirat Pal
Exon
QUOTE(Kirat Pal @ Jul 6 2009, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Exon @ Jul 6 2009, 08:36 PM) *

Kirat Pal

Exon

Dear Exon
I recorded this song from radio shrilanka today and the programme of old movies included only the songs of Sardul Kwatra.i have recorded annoncer,s statements also.
Dr Kirat Pal

KP,

Thanks for the clarification.

Exon
tumtum_tajik

"ek teri nishani" 1949..
music director for the film was
pt. amarnath...at lahore...
but duet to his death or partition...
he could compose only some songs
for the film...sung by zeenat begum
or some other..

Raza Mir was hero in the film...
his son was well known in pakistani
film industry some time back...
who couldnt go to india for completion of
the film...after patition...
i am not sure but i think he was replaced
with raj kapoor..as hero in the film...

rest of the music of the film was completed by
sardul...in india..he composed asha songs..

regards,
-waheed
Faraaj73
There was a film Rupaye Ki Kahani. Although Earthmusic says the MD was Aslam???, I understand it was probably Sardul Kwatra. The film has a beautiful song, Saajan Na Rooth Humse - sung by an unidentified female. I have a radio recording which is quite poor. If any member has a halfway decent recording of this song or better yet the entire album, please upload it here and also fill in the gaps on singer etc.
tumtum_tajik
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jul 13 2009, 02:46 PM) *

There was a film Rupaye Ki Kahani. Although Earthmusic says the MD was Aslam???, I understand it was probably Sardul Kwatra. The film has a beautiful song, Saajan Na Rooth Humse - sung by an unidentified female. I have a radio recording which is quite poor. If any member has a halfway decent recording of this song or better yet the entire album, please upload it here and also fill in the gaps on singer etc.

Faraaz...

1. rupay ke kahani was released in the year 1948..
music director was infact M. Aslama..(music director and singer)
who sang a solo in the film as well...
"aankh main aansu hai phir bhi dil dard se khaali nahee"

2. M. Aslam also sang in the film "Paro" 47.."zakhmi ko naya zakhm lagata hai zamana"
a duet with paro and aslam..music director was either chishti sb or rasheed atre..

3. the song you are refering is on the record # 35131..on behind of the
song....ye aankhen jawani main..
for which i am looking for last ten years..(in good sound quality)

4. singer for the particular song for which you are asking is..
Kanta Devi...for both songs..

5. i also have a radio version of the same song..but not very good
quality...

secoding the request for a single song from the film...good recording only..

regards,
-waheed
Aditya Pant
I am reviving my earlier question. In many places, Husnlal Bhagatram and Sardul Kwatra are jointly credited as the MDs of Shagun (1951). Does HFGK mentioned which songs from the songs were composed by Sardul Kwatra?

Aditya
Debopriyo
Ek Teri Nishani (1949) (with Pandit Amarnath)
From 4 (Composed By Pt Amarnath)

1.Aa Gayee Zalim Jawani Aa Hayee - Zenat Begum
2.Chupke Chupke Mast Nighaen - Asha
3.Kaleje Par Chot Khakar Chale - S.D Batish
4.Chot Pari Dil Par Ke Bas Yaad Karenge - Gulraj -
5.Dil Leke Pachhta Gaye Re Hum - S.D Barish
6.Ek Dekha Khwab Suhana - Zeenat Begum
7.Kaho To Chaand Se
8.puchhate hai dil ki duniya lut kar ham kaun hai ????
9.rut aayi suhaani kaliyon pe naya roop hai - Zeenat Begum
10.teri kaafir jawaani ko jawaani kan kehta hai - Asha -
11.teri mehfil mein is andaaz se baitha hai deewaana - Asha Kumari / Bhonsle

Jalte Deep (1950) (with T. K. Das?)
Man Ka Meet (1950)
Shagun (1951) (with Husnlal-Bhagatram)
Goonj (1952)
Pilpili Saaheb (1954)
Son Of Alibaba (1955)
Tees Mar Khan (1955)
Char Minar (1956)
Kala Chor (1956)
Mirza Saahibaan (1957)
Lady Robinhood (1959)
Air Mail (1960)
Dekha Jayega (1960)
Gypsy Girl (1961)
Chandrashekhar Azad (1963)
Accident (???)
Khel Muqaddar ka (...)
Kala Chasma (???)
Khiladi (???)
Debopriyo
asha ji's two Tracks looking from the "Ek Teri Nishani"...
r&d
Chupke Chupke Mast Nigahein - Asha Bhosle - Ek Teri Nishani (1949) - Sardul Kwatra - A. Shah Shikharpuri - 3:01 - 96 kbps
tumtum_tajik
QUOTE(Debopriyo @ Jun 21 2010, 09:19 PM) *

asha ji's two Tracks looking from the "Ek Teri Nishani"...

ashaji sang 3 songs in ek teri nishani..49
asha kumari is the same asha bhosley..

regards,
-waheed
surhall
QUOTE(r&d @ Jun 21 2010, 10:22 PM) *

Chupke Chupke Mast Nigahein - Asha Bhosle - Ek Teri Nishani (1949) - Sardul Kwatra - A. Shah Shikharpuri - 3:01 - 96 kbps

very good but this is asha voice ??
thanks
dhall
r&d
QUOTE(surhall @ Jun 21 2010, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(r&d @ Jun 21 2010, 10:22 PM) *

very good but this is asha voice ??
thanks
dhall

yes, it is 1949 recording. she sounds like that
in other songs from 1949.
surhall
hi
today cheak from other asha fan
20% look asha

dhall
Debopriyo
many many thanks r&dji ..looking for rest of 3 ashaji's track...
hildebrand
QUOTE(Aditya Pant @ Jul 13 2009, 06:00 PM) *

I am reviving my earlier question. In many places, Husnlal Bhagatram and Sardul Kwatra are jointly credited as the MDs of Shagun (1951). Does HFGK mentioned which songs from the songs were composed by Sardul Kwatra?

Aditya

6/9 songs are clearly credited to Husnlal Bhagatram.
No MD credits are mentioned for the remaining three. (Chal Chandni Chowk, Oh Mere Daata ji, Teri Gali Mein Aake Barbaad Ho Gaye). They may or may not have been composed by Sardul Kwatra.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.