Full Version: Best Antivirus For Home
Hamara Forums > General > Computing and Technology
yogihit
Hello All,
which is Best Antivirus for Home?

urs
Yogi
Mandrake
I use AVG-Free, which I found to be excellent. It is free, it works in the background, and covers you against malware and spyware too.

You can google for it. Make certain that you install the latest version. Also, you will need to configure it (the interface is easy) so that the daily scan is kept enabled or disabled. (The default is enabled, but I've disabled it on mine, as it slows down the system during the scan, and it interferes with my working, hence I've put the scan on manual.)
sbiswas2005
Yes Mandrake...You are absolutely right. It is one of the best antivirus softwares. Now AVG Internet Security 8.5 is the current version. I have used it. Really good yaar.

Yogihit ji, you can go for this. Click here to download.

Subir
yogihit
thank you so much both of you..
too quick reply smile1.gif

urs
yogi
oye_sonu
Waise best salaah de di hai suhas bhai ne

Apoon bhi AVG use karta hai ! (free verson)

Sonu
Marcilo
QUOTE(oye_sonu @ Jul 3 2009, 02:00 PM) *

Sonu

i use none.. wink.gif
SKG
I have been using Avira Antivir free version for many years which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_downloa..._antivirus.html

This year I purchased the paid version which has a few extra features like faster download of updates, etc. Still the free version also uses the same engine and is one of the best around.
sani_thakur
I believe Microsoft is soon gonna come out with their own free anti-virus. I would expect it to be quite good/efficient.

By the way -- have you ppl used Windows 7 - it is really awesome. Using it for the last many months (since its Beta release) ... way better than Vista and perhaps XP as well.

:-)

QUOTE(SKG @ Jul 22 2009, 02:26 AM) *

I have been using Avira Antivir free version for many years which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_downloa..._antivirus.html

This year I purchased the paid version which has a few extra features like faster download of updates, etc. Still the free version also uses the same engine and is one of the best around.

yob
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Jul 7 2009, 01:01 AM) *

QUOTE(oye_sonu @ Jul 3 2009, 02:00 PM) *

Sonu

i use none.. wink.gif

i use one rolleyes.gif
r&d
mac
Marcilo
QUOTE(r&d @ Aug 7 2009, 10:47 PM) *

mac

i agree .. mac is any day secure.... but there aren't many mac users huh.gif stuff is costly too
r&d
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Aug 10 2009, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(r&d @ Aug 7 2009, 10:47 PM) *

mac

i agree .. mac is any day secure.... but there aren't many mac users huh.gif stuff is costly too

there is hindi saying, I will paraphrase.

"The amount of sugar you put in is how much sweet it will be."

I bet you don't take in account purchasing of anti viruses and spyware
every year. How about re-installing every so often due to slowdown.
If you compare in equal terms it is quite cheap.
but you expect to have some kind of sale so you
get the illusion of discount. obviously it is not
cheap in India because of VAR and duties.
You can always buy refurbished or previous model (which is discounted)
when new model is released. Also you can get 10% discount on educational
purchases.
Marcilo
I think its more of choice and requirement thing, one cannot have dessert for main course.

How about re-installing every so often due to slowdown.

Who me? i personally do not. i run smoothly. not done anything in last 3 and half years.smile.gif

obviously it is not cheap in India because of VAR and duties.
i have no clue how much it costs in india. shouldn't be that high.

when new model is released. Also you can get 10% discount on educational purchases.
that is right they do offer student discount. But that is only for PC/Laptops not accessories

r&d
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Aug 10 2009, 09:12 AM) *

I think its more of choice and requirement thing, one cannot have dessert for main course.

How about re-installing every so often due to slowdown.

Who me? i personally do not. i run smoothly. not done anything in last 3 and half years.smile.gif

obviously it is not cheap in India because of VAR and duties.
i have no clue how much it costs in india. shouldn't be that high.

when new model is released. Also you can get 10% discount on educational purchases.
that is right they do offer student discount. But that is only for PC/Laptops not accessories

Well if you are going to play with words. then

Cola is cheaper than Water.
Processed food is cheaped than fruits and vegetable.
fat, sugar and vitamins are cheaper than chewing.

Take your pick of analogy and run with it.

When you get cancer than drug companies will sell you are the drugs you need to feel good.
Marcilo
QUOTE(r&d @ Aug 10 2009, 02:18 PM) *

When you get cancer than drug companies will sell you are the drugs you need to feel good.

No i am not playing with words. all i am saying choice is personal and based on requirements.
cola can never be cheaper than water, water can come for free.. not cola so lets not get deviated.

Mac generally is costly proposition and not many companies use that. Also if one happens to work for Microsoft shop, good or excellent, MAC doesn't do any good.
r&d
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Aug 10 2009, 11:49 AM) *

No i am not playing with words. all i am saying choice is personal and based on requirements.
cola can never be cheaper than water, water can come for free.. not cola so lets not get deviated.

Mac generally is costly proposition and not many companies use that. Also if one happens to work for Microsoft shop, good or excellent, MAC doesn't do any good.

You are the one who tried to make PCs, main entree
and Macs, a dessert. where the saying has nothing to do with dessert.

So government is giving you water for free. WOW just WOW.
You are not living in some wilderness even that is not free when
the water is polluted even there.

Microsoft has 90% margin whereas Apple has 30% margin.
Marcilo
QUOTE(r&d @ Aug 10 2009, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Marcilo @ Aug 10 2009, 11:49 AM) *

You are the one who tried to make PCs, main entree
and Macs, a dessert. where the saying has nothing to do with dessert.

So government is giving you water for free. WOW just WOW.
You are not living in some wilderness even that is not free when
the water is polluted even there.

Microsoft has 90% margin whereas Apple has 30% margin.

you came up with following which i thought had no link to our discussion. Hence my point, what is good for you might not be good for me, fair deal?

there is hindi saying, I will paraphrase.

Give me your zip code and i will tell you where all water is free, trust me you won't have to pay a single dime from your pocket for water. Here is mine 45402, let me know where cola is free. Govt, gives water for free? yes, if you are not counting public taxes, we do have public water fountains, anyone and everyone can use.
i hope we can quit discussing water now. smile.gif

about Microsoft margin, thanks, did not know they have 90%. No wonder Mr. Gates is amongst top 5 or 3.

Marcilo
I do not where this discussion is heading but thing I wanted to ask you was, have you configured ext drive for mac (HFS) and used that for Windows. If so, is it able to support NTFS files (larger than 4GB) with out any issues.

was planning to dump few VHDs on drive and use for windows and share other files for mac, let me know. thanks
humble_rafi
Try AVIRA Free Version
yogihit
autorun.inf is common virus , i think AVG also can not remove.. is AVIRA or some others can remove it?
Marcilo
QUOTE(yogihit @ Sep 30 2009, 09:00 AM) *

autorun.inf is common virus , i think AVG also can not remove.. is AVIRA or some others can remove it?

Autorun is simple plain ascii file. You can edit it too

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninf.htm
Autorun.inf is the primary instruction file associated with the Autorun function. Autorun.inf itself is a simple text-based configuration file that tells the operating system which executable to start, which icon to use, and which additional menu commands to make available. In other words, autorun.inf tells Windows how to deal open the presentation and treat the contents of the CD.

yogihit
thank you Marcilo!!
hildebrand
QUOTE(yogihit @ Jun 27 2009, 09:36 AM) *

Hello All,
which is Best Antivirus for Home?

urs
Yogi

You know my answer. tongue1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.