Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muse & Music
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
swarapriya
(Sharmila) Aamne Saamne (1967)

Here is a beautiful musical with some lovely songs by Rafi Saab ...
swarapriya
(Vyjayanti) Devdas (1955)

Here is Bimal Roy paying tributes to one of his mentors, P.C. Barua, who made "Devdas" back to back both in Bengali and Hindi in 1935. Bimalda was the cinematographer for both of those movies. Later there was a movie made in Tamil, around late 40's. But in 1953, it was made in both Telugu and Tamil with one of the greatest performances, by A. Nageshwara Rao. It was remade in Telugu in 1974 with disastrous results.

Bimalda's "Devdas" was a commercial failure. It had all the great elements to go with it, but for some reason it didn't click with the audience. All the principal actors gave wonderful performances. Burmanda had set the music that apparently reminds one of rural Bengal music culture. Vyjayantimala refused her Filmfare award as the best supporting actress because she claimed she was the heroine of the movie (she played "Chandramukhi") and should have given the award as the best actress.

I haven't seen Barua's "Devdas" but people tell how great it was. I am including songs from this 1935 version in this section following these uploads. Also, I will upload songs from both Telugu versions (1953 and 1974) in this section as well.

Because of the number of songs, I am uploading them in back to back posts. Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Some Extended Songs of "Devdas (1955)"

The following three extended versions of "Devdas" songs are by the courtesy of the Forum members ...
swarapriya
P.C. Barua's Classic "Devdas (1935)"

P.C. Barua was born in a family of kings. Growing up he developed an interest in photography and became an avid photographer. After graduating with a Bachelor degree, he went to study photography abroad. There while studying photography he got interested in the filmmakers of Europe who were famous in handling cameras. After returning to India, he served briefly as a legislative member of Assam but returned to Calcutta to be involved in film making. He acted in some silent movies and then decided to form his own company.

During this time he met Rabindranath Tagore. On his recommendation, he returned to Paris to study further cinematographic techniques. After returning from Europe, he decided to make (this was 1935) Sharat Chandra Chatterjee’s “Davdas” into a movie. He made the movie first in Bengali and then in Hindi. In Bengali version he himself played Devdas. For Hindi version he selected K.L. Saigal. His wife Jamuna played Parvati in both the movies. By the way, cinematographer for movie was Bimal Roy. This is the same Bimalda who will later make some great movies of his own, including once more “Devdas” in Hindi.

The Hindi version became a national craze. Saigal with brooding looks and resonant voice became a sensation and his songs made history. Barua introduced several new techniques with his “Devdas” movie that were a complete departure from the established norms in acting, dialogue delivery, and the subject treatment. He had his hero play the role by underplaying it. By looks, sighs, and pauses in between the dialogues.

Barua lived for only 48 years. In later years of his life he took to heavy drinking. He went to Switzerland for a surgery but he passed away soon after his return. In a brilliant and trail blazing glorious career, Barua who wanted to be a photographer was a cinematographer for only one movie (“Zindagi (1940)”). He wrote stories or screenplays for ten movies. Acted in 19. Directed 24. But he left behind a legacy of brilliant film work that will be remembered forever …

Timir Baran, the music director of this movie, came from a scholarly family. (See his picture below.) He was a student of Ustad Allauddin Khan. He toured Europe and USA with Uday Shankar’s Dance Troupe in 1930.

According to Kidar Sharma, the songs “Baalam Aaye Baso More Mann Mein” and “Dukh Ke Ab Din Beetat Naahi” from “Devdas” were composed by Saigal himself but recorded by Timir Baran. Saigal also sang the thumri “Piya Bin” that has no accompanying music. Baran was awarded the Sangeet Academy prize in 1950.

Baran also composed music for the national song “Vande Maataram” on a request from Subhash Chandra Bose. It was originally broadcast from the radio station in Singapore. Baran’s film work was limited to only few Bengali and Hindi movies.

I am uploading these songs from back to posts. Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Some Extended Version Songs of Barua's Classic "Devdas (1935)"

Here are some extended versions of songs from this immortal classic. I am also icluding Lata's version of "Baalam Aayo" from her "Shraddhanjali-3" album ...
swarapriya
Devadasu (1953) - A Telugu Film Classic

If someone asks me to pick just one movie in Telugu that is outstanding in every aspect, I probably will select “Devadasu” made in 1953. This is one great movie. Once you experience it you’ll never forget it for the rest of your life. It is that deeply affecting.

There were many Bengali stories made into very successful Telugu movies. But “Devadasu” is definitely a standout. Most of Sharat Chandraji’s novels were translated into Telugu. In fact by many different authors. But a standout among these is the translation done by Aluri Subba Rao. He was also popularly known as Chakrapani. He was also a partner of Vijaya movies who made so many great movies over the years as the team Nagi Reddi-Chakrapani. Many people know him as the editor of the children’s magazine called “Chandamama” which was published in various languages. He was also the editor of the monthly magazine called “Yuva” in Telugu. In this magazine, he published most of Sharat’s novels translated in Telugu as serials. They had a huge following. One beautiful thing about these translations was that Chakrapani changed the setting to Telugu from Bengali. He renamed some characters but retained most of the originals intact. Telugu “Devadasu” was based on Chakrapani’s translation.

It is surprising to know that the outfit that made the movie “Devadasu” was a relatively new one. D.L. Narayana, producer of the film, was a long time assistant at Bharani Studios and was there with them during their early movies, including classics like “Laila Majnu (1949)”. He wanted to make “Devadasu” badly. To get backing for his project, he made another movie called “Stree Saahasam (1951)”, which was his maiden venture as a producer. This movie starred Anjali and Akkineni Nageshwara Rao (ANR). It was a female oriented movie, and it turned out to be a box office bonanza for DL.

With the cash in hand, DL ventured out to make “Devadasu” in both Telugu and Tamil starting in late 1951. He recruited Vedantam Raghavayya to direct the movie. He signed C.R. Subbaraman, with whom he worked in “Laila Majnu”, to provide the music. He cast ANR for the role of Devadasu and Janaki for the role of Parvati. The movie went into production and Subbaraman composed music for all 10 songs and recorded nine of them. But when he was only 29 years old, Subbaraman passed away. The tenth song was completed by his assistants Vishwanthan & Rama Murty. Mystery shrouded around the death of the brilliant Subbaraman and there were many rumors about how he died. With the morale of the crew down, DL decided to shelve the project, at least temporarily.

DL went onto make another movie in 1952 called “Shanti” in which a new actress, who appeared in”Samsaaram” in a bit role before, and few other mvies, had a major supporting role. Her name was Savitri. In 1953, when DL decided to resume his activities with “Devadasu”, Janaki was no longer available as she was committed to several other movies. DL, in a very bold step, decided to cast Savitri, a relatively newcomer, as Parvati. Savitri appeared as an extra for the first time in a movie called “Samsaaram” in 1950. After that she had acted in bit roles to small supporting roles in “Paataala Bhairavi (1951)”, “Roopavati (1951)”, “Aadarsham (1952)”, “Palletooru (1952)”, “Priyuraalu (1952)”, “Shaanti (1952)”, “Pelli Chesi Choodu (1952)”, “Sankraanti (1952)”, and “Bratuku Teruvu (1953)”. (“Bratuku Teruvu”, many years later, in 1969 was made as “Jeene Ki Raah” in Hindi by the great L.V. Prasad where Tanuja played the role of Savitri.) But with the role of Parvati, Savitri has arrived. For next two plus decades she ruled Telugu cinema like no other actress before her, or since then. Granted this was ANR’s movie all the way. But Savitri, one of the greatest actresses of our time, frame for frame was also unforgettable in her portrayal of Parvati. (Pictures of ANR and Savitri are attached.)

Stories were written how ANR prepared for the role. Not of a big physique, to look very lean and pale ANR fasted for several weeks. Stories abounded that he couldn’t even walk without much help. The shooting went on for nearly two months where ANR is shown as a drunkard. Also, apparently all scenes where ANR appears as a drunkard were shot during the nights. ANR told reporters few years back reminiscing how his “Devadas” was made that the director kept him awake all night to have that special effect of giving a droopy, drunken, and melancholic look. No wonder even Dilip Kumar went on record to congratulate ANR for such a superb acting.

There was a scene in the movie where Parvati bangs her head against a door. While shooting this scene, it was reported that Savitri was so involved in her role that she started banging her head in earnest. By the time Raghavayya, the director, realized it and grabbed her away from the door, her forehead was apparently soaked in blood.

Director Raghavayya had a super cameraman working for him. His name was B.S. Ranga. Ranga later turned a producer and made several noteworthy movies (“Amara Shilpi Jakkanna” and “Tenali Rama Krishna”). The picturization of some of the songs leaves one with the impression that may be someone like Guru Dutt was at work. But Guru’s “Pyaasa” came four years later than this “Devadasu”. Especially the picturization of two songs are worth mentioning. The song “Kala Idani” was picturized in a room with ANR having a glass in his half raised left hand. The only light into the room is through the window to his back. Part of the light shines on the desk next to where ANR is sitting. The second scene is the song “Jagame Maaya”. I will say more about this below.
swarapriya
Devadasu (1953) - A Telugu Film Classic Continued ...

We come to the songs of the film. Some of the greatest songs sung by Ghantasala are in this movie. (See his picture in the attachment.) He had four solos and two duets in the movie. People still remember fondly his solos, especially the songs “Jagame Maaya”, “Kala Idani”, and “Kudi Edamaite”. Much of the success of the movie also owes in part due to the popularity of these songs that are as good as gold even today. It was said that to sing “Jagame Maaya”, Ghantasala apparently went on a fast for few weeks (by some reports 41 days, that is almost six weeks!) to give that splendid hair raising experience. The immeasurable pathos, the unending despair, the immense hopelessness, the heart rendering grief, and the intense helplessness all these emerge in his voice as expressed by ANR superbly on the screen. The song, the scene where ANR has a glass of liquor in his hand, sitting under the lamp in a lonely street in the middle of a night, with a stray dog giving him a vigil is just heartbreaking. This stunning scene itself is one of the landmark moment in the Telugu film history. (See the attached picture below.)

The rich lyrics were written by Samudrala Sr. But there are some people who are of the opinion that some of the songs were written by Mallaadi Rama Krishna Shastri. May be. Or may be not. But the fact remains that these songs are rich in meaning and affect you deeply.

This is such a great movie that one can write volumes about it. I have seen this umpteen number of times. I always come out with such a deep satisfactioin of watching a classic that sparkles like a diamond. The experience in the end hopelessly consumes one with so much grief for the love lost …

Now for the memorable songs from this album ...
swarapriya
Devadasu (1974) - A Telugu Movie

The wife and husband team of Vijaya Nirmala and Krishna remade this movie with disastrous results. In the new movie Vijaya Nirmala played Parvati to Krishna's Devadasu. Vijaya Nirmala also directed the movie. When this movie was released, on the same day the 1953 classic was also released. The old classic went on to run successfully once again whereas the new version bombed. Only noteworthy feature of the movie was its music. Always dependable Ramesh Naidu delivered it again. Here are the songs ...
akbaralibhai
Thank you very much Swarapriya for sharing so many wonderful albums in great quality.
simplefable
SP..it was a pleasure reading your note. smile.gif
Devadasu is surely one classic which transcends times and ages...It has come to stay in every telugu person as an epitome of ultimate jilted lovers, denied by destiny and yet retaining the basic decency of the humane values and social responsibilities..Ofcourse, the name Devadasu has become synonymous with a person who is enslaved to liquor. Infact, i noted that a liquor shop near our town's bus stand was named after him !
Even to this day, the young people comment that someone has become a "Devadasu" over a girl. Am sure that most of them havent even seen the film, but as i said before, Devadasu has come to stay in our minds for eternity.
Just to add a few words..which i have learnt through books...
Chakrapani became seriously ill at one time and was admitted to a hospital where he stayed for a long time. The person who was in bed next to him in hospital turned out to be a Bengali who became ill during his visit to South. Chakrapani, being the man he is ...quick learner and phenomenal penchant for languages..picked up the language and it's nuances with in short time and thus began his long journey into translation of Bengali classics..Infact most of them turned into films with ANR as the hero..
Subburaman's death does stay a mystery till date...a taboo about which not much is said anywhere. Some stories go that he was a diabetic and never took care of his health as he used to spend most of his time in studios adding finesse to a tune or other...It is a fact that Malladi Ramakrishna Sastry did give a couple of songs to this film..incognito.
Much is said about ANR fasting and getting that famished and dejected look on his face...but my vote always goes for Savitri, the greatest actress ever.. Her character goes from playful Parvati to a responsible step mother of grown up youngsters and wife for the aged CSR in a ziffy, yet She rose to the occasion with impeccable articulation.. May be i am partial towards her.. smile1.gif
Now ..being born much after the release of the film, i saw it only in my teens...almost a quarter century after the original release...and yes, none of my friends agreed to accompany me. smile.gif
The film took my breath away...is what i can say. I come from another generation where eloping and getting married is nothing new...where if someone refuses to elope, they will be termed as cowards....But seeing the drama on screen evolving, i had nothing but enormous pity for the jilted lovers. Infact, there is no character i would find fault with in the film . Every one is a prisoner of circumstances, upbringing and social restrictions. May be if i have to point out at one person...Peketi's Bhagawan would be the culprit. What i remember is the hush in the theater after the film was finished...a hush which transcends any meaningful babble, i guess. No heckling or joking about characters or circumstances was heard althrough the film...which it self is a certificate of tremendous acceptance..
Am sure Madhubala will be remembered by the fantastic photograph of her..where she turns a little bit to one side and laughs seductively....For Savitri, this picture does the justice...framed for ever in eternity. with wide questioning eyes and acceptance in eyes of the destiny...with tears in her eyes...She is indeed immortalized here...

IPB Image
Abdur Rehman
Thanks swarapriya for the songs of Devadasu (1974).
swarapriya
QUOTE(akbaralibhai @ Aug 22 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Thank you very much Swarapriya for sharing so many wonderful albums in great quality.

You're very welcome Akbaralibhai. -S
swarapriya
QUOTE(simplefable @ Aug 22 2009, 08:06 PM) *

SP..it was a pleasure reading your note. smile.gif

Am sure Madhubala will be remembered by the fantastic photograph of her..where she turns a little bit to one side and laughs seductively....For Savitri, this picture does the justice...framed for ever in eternity. with wide questioning eyes and acceptance in eyes of the destiny...with tears in her eyes...She is indeed immortalized here...

IPB Image

Thanks for the nice note. When you're talking about Savitri, you're just preaching to the choir. She was definitely one of the greatest actresses of our time. By the way, I love the picture you've posted here. It is absolutely fabulous ...

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(Abdur Rehman @ Aug 22 2009, 09:08 PM) *

Thanks swarapriya for the songs of Devadasu (1974).

You're very welcome. -S
Faraaj73
Thanks for the detailed Devdas write-up (in all its manifestations). What did you think of the recent Indian version? Your opinions make for interesting reading.

Seeing you and SF discuss the Tamil version, I wish I could understand the language so I could appreciate it. I downloaded the song Jagame Maaya Bratuke Maaya....nice tune. Is there any other stand-out song in the film....
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 23 2009, 04:42 AM) *

Thanks for the detailed Devdas write-up (in all its manifestations). What did you think of the recent Indian version? Your opinions make for interesting reading.

Seeing you and SF discuss the Tamil version, I wish I could understand the language so I could appreciate it. I downloaded the song Jagame Maaya Bratuke Maaya....nice tune. Is there any other stand-out song in the film....

My Dear Faraaj,

Actually the write up I had was about the Telugu version. A Tamil version was made and simultaneously released with the same star cast. Tamil version was also a huge hit.

Even though I like all the songs from the Telugu version, after "Jagame Maaya", my personal favorite is "Kudi Edamaite". This one was not only superbly performed by the great singer Ghantasala but had some rich lyrics accompanying it.

When you're talking about the recent "Devdas", Faraaj, I am pretty sure you're talking about the Shah Rukh Khan's version. I am a fan of SRK. He is a great actor, even though his most recent films have been a total disappointment. But the recent "Devdas" was not even close to any of the movies I have seen. It was all gloss and flashy. The real story was lost because of its decorative and ornamental look. All versions that came before used brilliant cinematographers (Barua's versions were photographed by the great Bimal da and early Telugu and Tamil versions were photogaphed with equal brilliance by B.S. Ranga) with light and shade effects to give that ambience, those pathos, that dispair ... I think all those elements are totally lacking from the latest version.

There it is. My two paise worth ...

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
(Waheeda) Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959)

When it was released in 1959 “Kaagaz Ke Phool” was rejected by both critics and audience alike. With the success Guru Dutt enjoyed with his earlier classic “Pyaasa”, there were so many high expectations about this movie. It even had a grand premiere in New Delhi that was attended by then Vice-President of India, Dr. Sarvepalli Radha Krishnan. But many now think of this movie otherwise. It has reached a cult status and enjoys full houses whenever it is rereleased. There are several reasons for this. Let us explore some of them here …

The movie was released commercially in France in early 80’s. It received unexpected and unprecedented praise from the French movie critics. French audience flocked to see the movie. France, the home of new wave cinema and the domicile of many experimental movie makers, when their discerning film critics took notice of this movie, everyone else started paying attention to what this was all about. In 2002, in Sight & Sound magazine’s critics and director’s poll “Kaagaz Ke Phool” was selected as 160th best film ever made in the world. This is a British monthly film magazine published by the British Film Institute. The critics poll is taken every 10 years with the next one due in 2012. Of course, each time the poll is conducted, the list changes.

This movie made history because it was the first movie shot in cinemascope. V.K. Murty, who photographed most of Guru Dutt’s movies, was sent abroad to study advanced techniques in photography and learn how to use cinemascope (simply stated, two lenses in stead of one for broader coverage) lenses. But it was not the technology that was used, it was how the lights and shades were used to picturize most scenes in the movie that became talk of the town. Murty got a Filmfare award for his work. The most famous example in the movie is the lighting used for the song “Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam”. This scene itself, the photography, the music, the song in Geeta ji’s rich voice, the richness of lyrics, all are subjects of study by serious-minded filmmakers. One of the criticism of the movie was that the photography took the front seat to the rest of the movie … However, Guru was a master in using cinematography as one of the major narrative threads. There was an ample evidence of this in his earlier classic “Pyaasa”. The molding of lights and shadows the way Guru uses evokes as much emotion as dialogues or lack of them, as music or silence.

Even though Guru considered Khayyam to be the music director, he went along with SD. Burman and Guru worked in many films together. Their films always had great music. RD assisted his father in this movie. Apart from the classic “Waqt Ne Kiya”, the movie also had several other great songs. Rafi Saab’s song “Dekhi Zamaane Ki Yaar” is there throughout the movie. A beautiful piece that depicts not only the story of the movie accurately, but parallels that of Guru’s real life. Geetaji also has another winner in “Ek Do Teen”. “San San San Woh Chali Hawa” is also a noteworthy song.

Originally, Guru Dutt wanted Sahir to write lyrics for the movie. But Sahir and SD never worked together again after their pinnacle achievement “Pyaasa”. Guru approached Kaifi Azmi to write the lyrics. Azmi was underground because of his work with Communist Party in late 40’s as the party was banned for some time. He was still looking for the recognition that eluded him and jumped at the opportunity offered by Guru Dutt. Even though he wrote some great songs for the movie and they became highly popular, because of its commercial failure Azmi could find only occasional work. But later, Chetan Anand’s “Haqeeqt (1964)” changed all that.

The song “Waqt Ne Kiya” had interesting beginnings. Burman created a tune that Guru liked very much. He was looking to create a situation to use the music and approached Kaifi Azmi to write a song. He penned “Waqt NeKiya” in response to the request. Guru later created the sequence to use in the movie. As it happens, this is the song and the scene to remember for the ages.

By all accounts Guru Dutt’s mental state was not stable during the filming of “Kaagaz Ke Phool”. His home life was anything but peaceful. That effected a great deal his working style. He changed the script of the movie while it was in full progress many times. The movie almost was prophetic in the sense that it showed that death was a sort of release from all the suffering. The main character in the movie suffers that fate. A solitary end of a broken and abandoned man. This drama played out in Guru’s real life as well.

Heartbroken with the failure of the movie, Guru vowed never to direct again … What a pity …

I am uploading all the songs in back-to-back two posts. Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959)" Continued ...

Here I am including the song "Waqt Ne Kiya" from the "Legends: S.D. Burman (CD2)" album with an introduction by R.D. Burman. I am also including the same song sung by the ghazal singer Jagjit Singh from his "Close to My Heart" album. Here are the songs ...
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 24 2009, 01:58 AM) *

When you're talking about the recent "Devdas", Faraaj, I am pretty sure you're talking about the Shah Rukh Khan's version. I am a fan of SRK. He is a great actor, even though his most recent films have been a total disappointment. But the recent "Devdas" was not even close to any of the movies I have seen. It was all gloss and flashy. The real story was lost because of its decorative and ornamental look. All versions that came before used brilliant cinematographers (Barua's versions were photographed by the great Bimal da and early Telugu and Tamil versions were photogaphed with equal brilliance by B.S. Ranga) with light and shade effects to give that ambience, those pathos, that dispair ... I think all those elements are totally lacking from the latest version.

There it is. My two paise worth ...

Cheers,
Swarapriya

Your two paise worth confirm your good taste. I disliked the new Devdas the moment I saw SRK back from "foreign tongue1.gif " wearing funny clothes etc. It was actually very annoying....
madsur
Dear SP,

I read about the DEVADAS's multilingual versios rather leisurely and hence the delay. It made a joyous read.
I wonder how the versions of the film made in the distant past continue to hold their grip on our collective consciousness. That, in itself, is a testimony to the art, skill & craftsmanship of those films.

As far as the Telugu & Tamil version is concerned, I think they are one and the same, as the Telugu version was dubbed into Tamil.

The Tamil version also had equally memorable songs. The voice of Ghantasala singing the Tamil version of 'Jagame mayam..' ( Ulage mayam, vazhve mayam..), is absolutely haunting.

If some kind soul can upload all the songs of Tamil version, it would complete the topic.

It was very nice of you to highlight BS Ranga's B/W photography as it added to the grandeur of the film.

In my view, to compare the SRK version with these masterpieces would be blasphemous.
It was all glam, glitter and an eventual sham. Less said the better.

Best regards,
Suresh
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 24 2009, 03:40 AM) *

Your two paise worth confirm your good taste. I disliked the new Devdas the moment I saw SRK back from "foreign tongue1.gif " wearing funny clothes etc. It was actually very annoying....

Well. There isn't much one can say about this movie except it made tons of money. These are the type of movies that make you confirm once again why actors like Dilip Kumar were so brilliant.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
QUOTE(madsur @ Aug 24 2009, 06:50 AM) *

Dear SP,

In my view, to compare the SRK version with these masterpieces would be blasphemous.
It was all glam, glitter and an eventual sham. Less said the better.

Best regards,
Suresh

Well, Suresh, you're echoing my sentiments as well. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Zeenat) Ajanabee (1974)

Songs from this album are still active in the "Rajesh Khanna" thread in the "Sangeet Ke Sitarey" section. You can access these songs from the folllowing location ...

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...8328&st=183
expressamit
About Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959) Songs Listed as missing songs ... I do not think you are missing any songs

a] Hum Tum Jise Kahta Hai Shaadi starts with "O Peter O Brother ..."

b] I think the 9min length of "Dekhi Jamane Ki Yaari ..." should include "Ud Ja Ud Ja ..." in last 3 minutes of the song.

swarapriya
QUOTE(expressamit @ Aug 24 2009, 06:42 PM) *

About Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959) Songs Listed as missing songs ... I do not think you are missing any songs

a] Hum Tum Jise Kahta Hai Shaadi starts with "O Peter O Brother ..."

b] I think the 9min length of "Dekhi Jamane Ki Yaari ..." should include "Ud Ja Ud Ja ..." in last 3 minutes of the song.

Great. Got it. Many thanks for the explanation. Cheers. -S
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 23 2009, 05:26 AM) *

P.C. Barua's Classic "Devdas (1935)"

Isn't the KC Dey song Baba Man Ki Aankhen Khol from Dhoop Chaon (1934) and not Devdas (1935)?
swarapriya
QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Aug 26 2009, 05:03 AM) *

Isn't the KC Dey song Baba Man Ki Aankhen Khol from Dhoop Chaon (1934) and not Devdas (1935)?

It's quite possible that I made a mistake. I may have filed the song at a wrong place. Would like to see this confirmed. Thanks. -S
swarapriya
(Asha) Hum Hindustani (1960)

Usha Khanna follows her stunning debut of "Dil Deke Dekho" with this beautiful album. If there were any doubts whether the success of "Dil" was just a flash in the pan, this movie completely erased them. Here Khanna shows that she can be versatile in handling different singers. Whereas "Dil" was all Asha and Rafi Saab, in this movie she also has Lata and Mukesh sing. She also joins the fray with a duet with Geetaji. The standout songs from this album are both solos by Mukhjesh ji, "Chhodo Kal Ki Baatein" and "Raat Nikhri Huyi".

I am uploading these songs in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Hum Hindustani (1960)" Continued ...

Here are some more beautiful songs from this great album ...
memsaab
Oh thank you for these Swarapriya---I only have been able to find four songs from the film.

I love Usha's singing voice too---pity she didn't sing MORE :-) Thanks again!
swarapriya
QUOTE(memsaab @ Aug 26 2009, 09:36 AM) *

Oh thank you for these Swarapriya---I only have been able to find four songs from the film.

I love Usha's singing voice too---pity she didn't sing MORE :-) Thanks again!

You're very welcome, Memsaab. -S
swarapriya
(Hema) Sharafat (1970)

Here are songs from this nice album ...
Erum Hashmi
Thanks, SP for Sharafat!
swarapriya
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Aug 27 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Thanks, SP for Sharafat!

You're welcome, Erum. -S
jigri1
Thanks swarapriya... Maine bhi sharafat se download kar liya smile1.gif
swarapriya
QUOTE(jigri1 @ Aug 27 2009, 05:00 PM) *

I almost thought you were saying shararat se. Magar aap ki baat to sharafat ki hai. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Mala) Apradhi Kaun? (1957)

Here is a movie where Bimalda ventured into the "whodunit" genere. He didn't direct the movie, but he did produce it. The movie was actually pretty good. But its songs by Salilda were even better. Here they are ...
jigri1
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 28 2009, 01:21 AM) *

QUOTE(jigri1 @ Aug 27 2009, 05:00 PM) *

I almost thought you were saying shararat se. Magar aap ki baat to sharafat ki hai. Cheers. -S

shararat bhi sharafat se smile1.gif
Exon
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 28 2009, 09:48 PM) *

(Mala) Apradhi Kaun? (1957)

Here is a movie where Bimalda ventured into the "whodunit" genere. He didn't direct the movie, but he did produce it. The movie was actually pretty good. But its songs by Salilda were even better. Here they are ...

SP,

There is typo in the song listing.
'Phir wohi dard' singer is Manna Dey.

Exon
swarapriya
QUOTE(Exon @ Aug 28 2009, 03:29 PM) *

SP,

There is typo in the song listing.
'Phir wohi dard' singer is Manna Dey.

Exon

Thanks Exon. I've corrected the table. Actual song info is correct. I just transcribed it wrong.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
swarapriya
(Mumtaz) Gehra Daag (1963)

If my memory serves me correctly, this movie was produced and directed by O.P. Ralhan who also happens to be the brother-in-law of Rajendra Kumar, its hero. Ralhan also acted in the movie, kind of a comedian type role. But as usually has been the case, it was Ravi again as the music director who is on the mark with several beautiful songs. He was at the height of his creativity in 60's and composed several memorable songs. Asha Bhosle has been one of his favorite singers.

I have been to half-a-dozen or so concerts of Asha. I don't think she ever mentioned about Ravi in those concerts. Of course, she also didn't speak much about the great maestro OP (Nayyar) either. The only person she talked about in these concerts was RD. I have no qualms about it. But much before RD, it was OP and Ravi that gave her hit after hit.

Here are the songs from this album that includes beauties by Asha and Rafi Saab ...
mirsa
Thanks Swarapriya for Sharafat album, was missing some numbers
swarapriya
QUOTE(mirsa @ Aug 30 2009, 03:34 AM) *

Thanks Swarapriya for Sharafat album, was missing some numbers

Mohd ji, you're more than welcome. Cheers. -S
swarapriya
(Nutan) Heer (1956)

After showing her acting prowess in the 1953 movie tragic love story "Laila Majnu", Nutan got another chance to show her histroinics in "Heer", another epic tragic love story. "Heer" has been a darling subject of Hindi and other language filmmakers for a long time. It was made into a movie in Hindi in 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 70's, and 90's. I will upload songs from the 1956 version here. I will also upload few songs from the 1948 version with Khayyam as the music director. Then Madan Mohanji's version of 1972. Lastly I will upload the 1992 version by Laxmikant & Pyarelal. I will upload these in this same section.

Most of the songs from this 1956 version were contributed by the members of the Forum. Here they are ...
swarapriya
Heera Ranjha (1948)

Here are some of the songs from the 1948 version of "Heera Ranjha". All these are by the courtesy of the Forum members ...
swarapriya
Heera Ranjha (1970)

Here is one of late great Madan Mohanji's masterpiece. Every song is just an utter delight. Both Lata and Rafi Saab are at their best. Because of the lengths of some of the numbers, I will upload them in back-to-back two posts.

In the first post one of the song "Jo Moti Ter" was contributed by the Forum members. Its speed is at 128 kb/s. I am also including a version song of "Do Dil Toote" by Anuradha Paudwal in this first post ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Heer Ranjha (1970)" Continued ...

Here are rest of the songs from this great album. I amalso including a second version of the song "Yeh Duniya" with a brief introduction by Manna Dey. This from the album "Legends> Mohd. Rafi - The Virtuoso (CD5)".
swarapriya
Heer Ranjha (1992)

This movie was a flop. However, it has some really beautiful songs. I will upload these in two back-to-back posts. I may have asssigned wrong names fror singers as I lost this information. If someone can authenticate the singer names, it will be great.

Here is the first set of songs ...
swarapriya
Songs of "Heera Ranjha (1992)" Continued ...

Here are rest of the songs from this beautiful album ...
Faraaj73
QUOTE(swarapriya @ Aug 31 2009, 07:26 AM) *

Heera Ranjha (1948)

Here are some of the songs from the 1948 version of "Heera Ranjha". All these are by the courtesy of the Forum members ...

Swarapriya

Corrections required:

Teri Zaat Hai Akbari Sarwari is a duet and the male singer is Khaiyyam...

Kaise Kaatoon is a solo...Kafas Ki Qaid is a duet and possibly sung with Wali Khan, who I hadn't heard of before...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.