Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aathreya - Manasu Kavi
Hamara Forums > Music > Regional Music > Telugu
simplefable
IPB Image

If there is one I thing admire about Hindi films, it is the importance they gave to lyricists. Even the music companies print out the label which includes the names of the lyricists. But telugu filmdom has conveniently forgotten these geniuses who gave their soul out to us, to enjoy their words of simple meaning yet leaving out such deep impact.

Thanks to Anupama's thread on Sahir...with her encouragement, here is a little effort from me..in memory of this wonderful lyricist...

Aathreya was born as Kilambi Venkata Narasimhacharyulu on May 7, 1921 in the Mangalampadu village of Sullurpeta Mandalam in the Nellore district.

He made enormous contributions to the Telugu Drama ('Rangastalam') and has pioneered many techniques, which were later followed by many. He revolutionized the Telugu drama with his thought provoking play 'N.G.O' (Non-gazetted officer). He continued his pursuit for social reform, transformation and universal peace, with his 10 Natakams (plays) and 15 Natikas,[2] which include Bhayam (Fear, till date, this is fantastic psycho analysis of human being), Viswa Shanti (Universal Peace, an aftermath to 2nd World War, atomic bombs), Kappalu (Frogs), Goutama Buddha, Ashoka Samrat, parivartanam, Bayam, Ehuritha and Tirupathi. Some of his works are missing and not found till date.

He entered the realm of films as a lyricist for the movie Deeksha in 1950. Samsaram, in 1950, was Athreya's first film script. Athreya also produced and directed the film Vagdanam in 1961. As his songs are full of simple and clear words, they became some of the most memorable telugu film songs. As most of his songs have expressed something or the other about Manasu (Heart), he is being called as Manasu Kavi (Poet of Heart). He died on September 13, 1989 in Madras.

He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate Degree by B R Ambedkar University of Hyderabad, for his contributions to Telugu Literature.
Known for his poetry on the human soul and heart, he was given the title 'Manasu Kavi'. His poetry is philosophical and intellectually satisfying. Aathreya's lyrics can make people weep or rejoice due to the deep meaning in them. He was thus much sought after as a lyricist. However, he was known for the delay in writing lyrics and thus, throwing filming schedules haywire and causing heart burn to producers so to speak. A critic remarked in Telugu "Aathreya vrasi janaalani yedipisthaadu, vraayaka nirmaathalani yedipisthaadu" which meant "By writing, he makes people weep; by not writing, he makes producers weep..."

Here is a couple of songs / lyrics which stand out as they tell two sides of coin. In one, he says how beautiful it is to have some one to share our life...and in the second, he laments as to how the beautiful women acquired beauty...a total volte face yet so true...
If the translations are abysmal, it is due to my ignorance. All are welcome to make corrections..

Manasuna manasai....
Dr. Chakravarthi
Saluri Rajeswara Rao
Ghantasala

Manasuna manasai...brathukuna brathukai...
heart in heart, life in life...

Thodokarundina ade bhagyamu...ade swargamu
if someone stands with us that is treasure, that is heaven

Aasalu theerani aavesamu lo..Aashayalalo aavedanalo..
in unfulfilled desires leading to anger... in idealistic heartburn

cheekati moosina ekantamu lo..
when darkness brings loneliness

ninnu ninnu ga preminchutaku..nee kosame kanneeru ninchutaku..
to love you as you are...to weep for you and you only..

nenunnaanani nindu ga palike..
am here with my whole heart..

Chelimi ye karavai....valape arudai..
in dearth of friendship...when love becomes scarce..

Chedirina hrudayame sila ayi poga..
when shaken heart turns into stone...

Nee vyadha telisi..needa ga niliche..
Knowing your trouble...who is willing to stand as your shadow..

Am afraid so much charm of the song has gone out, when i look at translation. Would welcome anyone who can edit this.. meanwhile here is the song itself sung by the incomparable Ghantasala...ably accompanied by the sitar of the Maestro..Pandit Ravi Shankar .. uploaded on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/158207875/Mana...anasai.mp3.html

In the second song, Aathreya does the unpredictable. He goes about demolishing the myth of beauty in his own way...

Caru lo shikaru kelle..
Thodi kodallu
Venu
Ghantasala

Caru lo shikaru kelle paala buggala pasidi dana...
Oh Beautiful girl with rosy cheeks going about in a car..

Bugga meeda gulabi rangu yela vachheno cheppa galava?
can you tell how you got that rosy color on your cheeks?

Ninnu minchina kannelendaro mandutendalo maadipote..
When girls more beautiful than you get roasted in the sun

Vaari buggala niggu neeku vachhi cherenu telusu ko..
The shine off their cheeks have joined yours..Just know..

Nilipi vinu nee badayi chaalu..telusu ko nija nijaalu..
Stop and listen..stop your bragging..Know the truth..

Chaluva raati meda lo kulukuthaave kurradana..
You stay in marble houses..in all splendour..

Meda kattina chaluva raayi yela vachheno telupagalava?
Do you know how the marble came?

Kadupu kaale kashta jeevulu Odalu virichi ganulu tholichi...
With hunger, people work hard to take out the marble from the mines..

Chemata chaluvanu cherchi raallanu theerchinaru telusu ko..
With sweat they cut out this marble...just know..

Gaali lone telipoye cheera kattina chinnadana..
You wore a saree which floats in the air..

Jilugu velugu la cheera shilpam yela vachheno cheppa galava?
Can you tell how this Colorful, light saree has come ?

Chirugu paathala Baruvu brathukula...netha galle nesinaaru..
People in tatters, with heavy lives..did weave this saree...

Chaakirokaridi...soukhyamokaridi..saagadinka telusu ko..
One toils..while others enjoy....This wont do from now on...Just know..

Nilipi vinu nee badayi chaalu..telusu ko nija nijaalu..
Stop and listen..stop your bragging..Know the truth..

Here is the link for this beautiful song..

http://rapidshare.com/files/158208672/Todi...a_Venu.mp3.html

What comes to my mind is Sahir who exactly evoked the same feelings...From Tum chale jaoge ( Shagun, where he describes the beauty merging with nature....) and again showing the harshest side of humanity..in Yeh mehlon yeh taqton..( Pyaasa ). Truly lyricism is beyond languages...and regions.
parag_sankla
Buddy, this is fantastic stuff. Thanks a million, I simply LOVED the second poem.

Another song of Sahir sahab on similar lines

Jitani bhi bulidinge hain
sethon ne baat li hain
Footpath bambai ke
hain aashiyaana hamara

(From the song "Chinu Arab Hamara" Film : Phir Subah Hogi, MD: Khayyam sahab, singer : Mukesh ji)

Thanks to Anupama. I am glad you are spreading the "love for lyrics".

Best Regards
Parag
swarapriya
Simply superb, SF.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
simplefable
Thanks a lot Parag..Sahir is just unique.. smile.gif
SP..Thanks a lot. It is not often that i become so loquacious but this was long pending in my mind..to write / acknowledge about the great lyricists..and Anupama's thread galvanised me into action.. smile.gif

here is one more, inimitable song, which aided by the greatest singer of our times Ghantasala..( akin to Rafi Sahab ) moves a person to tears..and ends with the highest positive note rising out of ashes..like a phoenix. This is actually the original of Milan ..titled Mooga manasulu ( Mute hearts ) in telugu. The Picture is an altime classic with brilliance in every field..There were Savitri and Akkineni in the lead roles..ably assisted by Jamuna on screen. The music of KV Mahadevan is a treat..with Ghantasala, Susila and Jamuna Rani created everlasting magic.
The song i am going to narrate is redone as Ram kare aisa hojaye.. of Mukesh in Milan. When the Herione looses her husband, the hero who is a family servant sings this to her..when she is mourning the death..
I dare to say that the telugu version has too deep a meaning ..and it's depth was missing in the hindi version. It is for the connoisseurs to acknowledge that...So, here i set upon to decipher this timeless, ageless beauty, which wraps the words around us..creating an emotion which is just indescribable. Hats off to Aathreya..

Paaduta teeyaga challaga...
I will sing sweet and soothing..

Pasi papa la nidurapo thalli ga..
Bangaru thalli ga..
Sleep like a baby ..sweet baby

kunuku padithe manadu kaasta kuduta paduthadi..
Sleep will bring solace to the heart...

kuduta padda manasu theepi kalalu kantadi..
Peaceful heart will bring sweet dreams..

kalale manaku migilipovu kalimi chivaraku...
Dreams are the treasures which are going to stay with us in the end..

aa kalimi kooda dochukone doralu enduku?
Why do we need those people who rob us of those dreams too?

Gunde mantalaarche channeellu kanneellu..
Tears are the cold water which can extinguish fires in heart..

Vundamanna vundavamma chaannallu..
They wont stay for long even if you want ..

Poyinollandaru manchollu..
People who have passed away are all good people..

Vunnollu poyinolla theepi guruthulu...
people who stayed here are sweet memories of those people who are gone..

Manishi pote maatramemi manasu vuntadi..
What if people go away..their hearts are here..

Manasu thoti manasepudo kalasi pothadi..
In time, our heart will unite with theirs too...

Chaavu putaka lendidamma nestamannadi..
Friendship defies birth and death...and

Janama janama kadi mari gattipadathadi..
Will strengthen with each life...

Ghantasala gave such a profound depth to this song..everytime i hear, i am moved beyond words. Like Rafi Sahab when He sings...Babul ki duwayein leti jaa...Every occurence in life leaves a stigma..of pain and pleasure..of philosophy and acceptance. These Lyricists are indeed gifted...to make us reminisce...and resplend... and rejoice.
Here is the song for you...

Paadutha theeyaga challagaa...
Mooga manasulu
KV Mahadevan
Aatreya..
Ghantasala

http://rapidshare.com/files/158914384/Muga...adevan.mp3.html
Anupama
Venkat, congratulations on starting this fabulous thread! thumbs-up.gif
I attentively read your posts and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I liked the second poem very much! Awesum work! Thanks for the songs that you shared on Rapidshare. I'll download them tonite. I hope the link is still active.
Keep it up and don't stop at two or three poems. Keep 'em posting! It's a treat reading about Aatherya!
Rafi sahab sang some songs in Telugu. The following are the songs I have:

Bhale Thammudu (Telugu) - Gopala Balaa Ninne
Bhale Thammudu (Telugu) - Yentha Vaaru Gaani
Aradhana (Telugu) - Naa Madi Ninnu Pilichindi
Aradhana (Telugu) - Nede Telisindi Eenade Telisindi
Akbar Salim Anarkali - Taralentaga Merisana (Telugu)

Would you please be kind enough to also translate 'em at your leisure? For me, language is no bar when it comes to Rafi sahab's singing. I just love his voice but I think I'd appreciate it even more if I know the meaning of the songs! Don't worry about perfection in vocabulary and translation. Words coming straight from the heart, full of emotion, make more sense to me.
Do lemme know if you need those songs.

simplefable
Anupama ..Thanks a lot for the appreciation. smile.gif
It is indeed fortunate that Rafi Sahab could take some time off his busy schedule to sing telugu songs. It happened so that super hero of telugu films, NT Rama Rao was very much attached to Rafi Sahab. So, for his films he tried to rope in Rafi and got him for a couple of his pictures. The films for which Rafi Sahab lent his voice are Bhakta Ramadasu ( MD Chittoor V Nagaiah ), Bhale Thammudu ( Remake of China town..MD is TV Raju ), Talla pellama ( MD is TV Raju ), Aradhana ( Remake of Geet...MD is T. Chalapati Rao ) and Akbar Salim Anarkali ( MD is C.Ramachandra ).
I have all the songs of Rafi in Telugu. Some of them are really beautiful where Rafi Sahab had a chance to give his special FEEEEEL to the songs.
I will be more than happy to translate the songs mentioned by you..But would like to start with a favorite of mine from Akbar Salim Anarkali...Thane meli musugu teesi.. smile.gif

Film Akbar Salim Anarkali
Music C. Ramachandra
Lyricist C.Narayana Reddy

Thane meli musugu theesi...Oka javvani puvvulaga navvuthunte...Yemi cheyyanu ?
When a young beautiful girl removes her parda and laughs like a flower...what can I do?

Navve aa navvuthone mela mellaga pidugule ruvvuthunte...Yemi cheyyanu?
When she sends lightnings with her laughter..What can I do?

Nenu anukontina mari kala gantina..naalo anuraagamedo mrogenani ?
Did I ever thought even in my dreams..that love will touch me?

Andame nannu cheri kona goti tho..gundelo meetuthunte..Yemi cheyyanu?
When a Beauty is here with me.. playing with my heart...What can I do?

Cheta madhupaatra ledu naakippudu..Ayina antaru nanne thraagenani..
I dont have wine goblet with me...yet everybody says that I am drunk..

Kannule pongipoye madhupaatralai..Kaipu lo munchuthunte..Yemi cheyyanu?
When her Eyes are like wine filled goblets..intoxicating me..What can I do?

Nenu firadousi na mari Kalidasu na..Kani antaru nanne kavi rajani..
I am not Firadous..or Kalidas...yet everybody says that I am King of Poets..

Preyasi madhura roopam maha kaavyamai..Ooha lo ponguthunte...Yemi Cheyyanu?
When my love's beauty becomes a famous verse in my imagination..What can I do?

Here is the rapidshare link for the song.. Will shift these links to premium accounts.. smile.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/161182693/Akba...Musugu.mp3.html
Erum Hashmi
Simplefable, please share all songs from Akbar Salim Anarkali
simplefable
Erum Ji..here is the link for the complete album of Akbar Salim Anarkali ..on Rapidshare. smile.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/150317730/Akbar_Sallem.rar

The songs in the film are..

Thane meli musugu theesi..Rafi
Reyi aagiponi..Rafi, Susila
Sipayi Oh..Sipayi..Rafi, Susila
Vela Yerigina..Susila, Vani Jayaram
Kalusukunna...Rafi, Susila
Thaaralentha meriseno..Rafi, Susila

Music C.Ramachandra
Lyrics C.Narayana Reddy
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(simplefable @ Nov 7 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Erum Ji..here is the link for the complete album of Akbar Salim Anarkali ..on Rapidshare. smile.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/150317730/Akbar_Sallem.rar

The songs in the film are..

Thane meli musugu theesi..Rafi
Reyi aagiponi..Rafi, Susila
Sipayi Oh..Sipayi..Rafi, Susila
Vela Yerigina..Susila, Vani Jayaram
Kalusukunna...Rafi, Susila
Thaaralentha meriseno..Rafi, Susila

Music C.Ramachandra
Lyrics C.Narayana Reddy

Thank you so much, Simplefable! smile.gif smile.gif

simplefable
Erum Ji..you are welcome. smile.gif
Anupama
QUOTE(simplefable @ Nov 6 2008, 08:33 AM) *

Anupama ..Thanks a lot for the appreciation. smile.gif
It is indeed fortunate that Rafi Sahab could take some time off his busy schedule to sing telugu songs. It happened so that super hero of telugu films, NT Rama Rao was very much attached to Rafi Sahab. So, for his films he tried to rope in Rafi and got him for a couple of his pictures. The films for which Rafi Sahab lent his voice are Bhakta Ramadasu ( MD Chittoor V Nagaiah ), Bhale Thammudu ( Remake of China town..MD is TV Raju ), Talla pellama ( MD is TV Raju ), Aradhana ( Remake of Geet...MD is T. Chalapati Rao ) and Akbar Salim Anarkali ( MD is C.Ramachandra ).
I have all the songs of Rafi in Telugu. Some of them are really beautiful where Rafi Sahab had a chance to give his special FEEEEEL to the songs.
I will be more than happy to translate the songs mentioned by you..But would like to start with a favorite of mine from Akbar Salim Anarkali...Thane meli musugu teesi.. smile.gif

Film Akbar Salim Anarkali
Music C. Ramachandra
Lyricist C.Narayana Reddy

Thane meli musugu theesi...Oka javvani puvvulaga navvuthunte...Yemi cheyyanu ?
When a young beautiful girl removes her parda and laughs like a flower...what can I do?

Navve aa navvuthone mela mellaga pidugule ruvvuthunte...Yemi cheyyanu?
When she sends lightnings with her laughter..What can I do?

Nenu anukontina mari kala gantina..naalo anuraagamedo mrogenani ?
Did I ever thought even in my dreams..that love will touch me?

Andame nannu cheri kona goti tho..gundelo meetuthunte..Yemi cheyyanu?
When a Beauty is here with me.. playing with my heart...What can I do?

Cheta madhupaatra ledu naakippudu..Ayina antaru nanne thraagenani..
I dont have wine goblet with me...yet everybody says that I am drunk..

Kannule pongipoye madhupaatralai..Kaipu lo munchuthunte..Yemi cheyyanu?
When her Eyes are like wine filled goblets..intoxicating me..What can I do?

Nenu firadousi na mari Kalidasu na..Kani antaru nanne kavi rajani..
I am not Firadous..or Kalidas...yet everybody says that I am King of Poets..

Preyasi madhura roopam maha kaavyamai..Ooha lo ponguthunte...Yemi Cheyyanu?
When my love's beauty becomes a famous verse in my imagination..What can I do?

Here is the rapidshare link for the song.. Will shift these links to premium accounts.. smile.gif

http://rapidshare.com/files/161182693/Akba...Musugu.mp3.html

What a treat!
Venkat, thanks a million for the translation and the song. I didn't have this song. I've downloaded it and am listening to it and reading your translation at the same time. It's a bliss!
I didn't even know how many songs Rafi Sahab sang in Telugu. I only have the above five songs that I mentioned. Thanks to you I got four more from Akbar Salim Anarkali. Please upload others too at your leisure. Many thanks once again! smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.