Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange Coincidence ?
Hamara Forums > Legends > Legendary Music Directors > Salil Chowdhury
rishi1911
Dear friends,

I just thought of sharing this strange find I had with all of you.
Back in the '80s I heard this superb composition by Salilda "beet jaat barkhaa reetu" sung by Antara Chowdhury. It was in a Doordarshan show and I was lucky to tape the program on my VHS recorder. There were some other beautiful songs of Salilda. "Beeta jaat" was the hindi version of the original Bengali song "amono saghana barasaay"(1990). The song is in Raag Desh and Salilda's brilliant use of rich violins to create the atmosphere of the rainy season is wonderful.
Recently a friend of mine from Kerala sent me a Malayalam song from a film called "Kakkakuyil"(2001) and guess what ! Its practically the same song sung by Chitra (famous singer from Kerala). The name of the music director is Deepan Chatterjee.
I am enclosing all the three songs for you guys to enjoy and wonder.

So, anybody knows who this Deepan Chatterjee is ? Did he plagiarise Salilda's song ?

Rishi

Attachements :

1. Beet raat barkhaa reetu - Antara Chowdhury - 128kbps; 3.4MB
2. Amono saghana barashaay - Antara Chowdhury - 128kbps; 3.75MB
3. Megha raagam - from Malayalam film "Kakkakuyil" - Chitra - 128kbps;4.21MB
Debopriyo
Rishiji Mr.Deepan Chatterjee Was The Sound Recordist Who Worked With Many People! Specially Like RD.Burman----he worked with Panchamda in Many People!!! ----
rishi1911
After reading your mail I made few more enquiries and it seems that Deepan Chatterjee was also the recordist in some of Salilda's south Indian film songs and Salilda may also have recorded "Saghana Gahana Boroshaay" in Chennai primarily for the large number of violins and Cellos he used in this song.

Does it mean that Deepan Chatterjee quietly "pinched" this melody for his Malayalam song in "Kalakkuyil"

QUOTE(Debopriyo @ Dec 27 2008, 12:18 AM) *

Rishiji Mr.Deepan Chatterjee Was The Sound Recordist Who Worked With Many People! Specially Like RD.Burman----he worked with Panchamda in Many People!!! ----
Suresh Mishra
But where are the songs ???

QUOTE(rishi1911 @ Aug 27 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Dear friends,

I just thought of sharing this strange find I had with all of you.
Back in the '80s I heard this superb composition by Salilda "beet jaat barkhaa reetu" sung by Antara Chowdhury. It was in a Doordarshan show and I was lucky to tape the program on my VHS recorder. There were some other beautiful songs of Salilda. "Beeta jaat" was the hindi version of the original Bengali song "amono saghana barasaay"(1990). The song is in Raag Desh and Salilda's brilliant use of rich violins to create the atmosphere of the rainy season is wonderful.
Recently a friend of mine from Kerala sent me a Malayalam song from a film called "Kakkakuyil"(2001) and guess what ! Its practically the same song sung by Chitra (famous singer from Kerala). The name of the music director is Deepan Chatterjee.
I am enclosing all the three songs for you guys to enjoy and wonder.

So, anybody knows who this Deepan Chatterjee is ? Did he plagiarise Salilda's song ?

Rishi

Attachements :

1. Beet raat barkhaa reetu - Antara Chowdhury - 128kbps; 3.4MB
2. Amono saghana barashaay - Antara Chowdhury - 128kbps; 3.75MB
3. Megha raagam - from Malayalam film "Kakkakuyil" - Chitra - 128kbps;4.21MB

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.