Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.p.nayyar Type Songs By Other Mds!!!!
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
Pages: 1, 2
venkat
Friends,

A few MDs (mostly Punjabi ones?) have composed some songs, almost the same way OPN would do. The names that come to my mind are: Madan Mohan, S.Mohinder, G.S.Kohli and even Hansraj Behl. smile.gif

For example, Madan Mohan has the following compositions similar to OPN and ironically, all these are by Rafi-Asha!!!

1. "Tum Saamne Aakar Jis Dam Jalwan Sa Dikhate Ho"--Film:Khazanchi(1958)---MD:Madan Mohan

2."Jaao Ji Jaao, Dekhe Hain Bade, Tum Jaise Chhor Lutere"--Film:Sharabi(1965)---MD:Madan Mohan

3."Kahin Chal Na De, Raat Ka Kya Thikana"--Film:Ek Shola(1958)---MD:Madan Mohan

4."Mere Dil Mein Aane Wale, Mujh Ko Pyaar Sikahaane Wale, Mere Dil Ki Taraf Se Many Many Thanks"--Film:Baap Bete(1959)--MD:Madan Mohan

Coming to Hansraj Behl, I can name instantly one song. That is "Bheega Bheega Pyaar Ka Sama, Batade Tujhe Jaana Hai Kahan, Balliye" from Film:Sawan(1959), sung by Rafi Saan and Shamshad Begum, another OPN camp singer!!!

I request musical connoisseurs to name others.

Venkat

PS. I just noticed that four out of the above five songs were of 1958/59. Does it mean that OPN's influence was at its peak then?
maheshks
Dupatta mera malmal ka....asha and geeta in adalat....madan mohan

Ang lag jaa balma....mera naame jokar.....shankar jaikishan

There are many more....
venkat
What about this song by Salil Chaudhury?

"Ke Main Jhoot Boliyan" by Rafi Saab, Balbir & Co from Film:Jaagte Raho(1956)

Venkat
smodkid
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Friends,

A few MDs (mostly Punjabi ones?) have composed some songs, almost the same way OPN would do. The names that come to my mind are: Madan Mohan, S.Mohinder, G.S.Kohli and even Hansraj Behl. smile.gif

For example, Madan Mohan has the following compositions similar to OPN and ironically, all these are by Rafi-Asha!!!

1. "Tum Saamne Aakar Jis Dam Jalwan Sa Dikhate Ho"--Film:Khazanchi(1958)---MD:Madan Mohan

2."Jaao Ji Jaao, Dekhe Hain Bade, Tum Jaise Chhor Lutere"--Film:Sharabi(1965)---MD:Madan Mohan

4."Mere Dil Mein Aane Wale, Mujh Ko Pyaar Sikahaane Wale, Mere Dil Ki Taraf Se Many Many Thanks"--Film:Baap Bete(1959)--MD:Madan Mohan

Coming to Hansraj Behl, I can name instantly one song. That is "Bheega Bheega Pyaar Ka Sama, Batade Tujhe Jaana Hai Kahan, Balliye" from Film:Sawan(1959), sung by Rafi Saan and Shamshad Begum, another OPN camp singer!!!

Venkat

PS. I just noticed that four out of the above five songs were of 1958/59. Does it mean that OPN's influence was at its peak then?

Venkat ji many songs of GS Kohli will fall in this thread. Quite a few songs of Mr. India, Shikari

Kya Soch Raha Matwale
Tum Ko Piya Dil Diya
Chaman Ke phool bhi

One of Roshan's composition from the movie Vallah Kya Baat Hai...Ek To Surat Pyari can also be included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy26k9TQqa4
balajigade
Some of Madan Mohan, Roshan and of course GS Kohli nos:

Khanke to khanke... Vallah Kya Baat Hai
Meri hirni jaisi chaal... Jailor
Zameen se humen aasman tak... Adalat
Yaar chulbula hai... Dil Deke Dekho
Duniya ki nazar hai.. & Un se rippy tippy... Agra Road
Daudo ji chor chor... Charminar
Aye ji biwi ko... Minister
C A T cat... Dilli Ka Thug
Kal sajna... Ardhangini
Mana mere haseen sanam... The Adventures of Robinhood

..and of course the aye lo ji sanam hum aa gaye... Andaaz Apna Apna

and many more

--Balaji

parag_sankla
There is a song in Adalat, "Ja ja re ja sajana" sung by Lata ji (Sad part) and Asha ji (fast paced mujra style). The portion sung by Asha ji is so much in OPN style that if we only listen to that part no one will believe that its not composed by OPN

Parag
venkat
QUOTE(smodkid @ Jul 15 2008, 09:03 PM) *

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Friends,

Venkat

Venkat ji many songs of GS Kohli will fall in this thread. Quite a few songs of Mr. India.

One of Roshan's composition from the movie Vallah Kya Baat Hai...Ek To Surat Pyari can also be included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy26k9TQqa4

Thanks, Jay. In the context of G.S. Kohli, what better example than "Yeh Rangeen Mehfil, Gulabi Gulabi, Mere Dil Ka" from Film:Shikari(1963)--Asha!!! smile.gif
venkat
QUOTE(balajigade @ Jul 15 2008, 09:03 PM) *

Kal sajna... Ardhangini

and many more

--Balaji

Many thanks, Balaji. "Khanke To Khanke" from Valla Kya Baat Hai (Rafi-Asha) is one of the aptest examples.

Of course, during my younger days, I used to think that the MD for Film: Dil Deke Dekho was O.P. Nayyar himself!!! Only later did I come to know that it was Usha Khanna. So, at least three or four songs from this Film, other than 'Yaar Chulbula Hai", qualify for this thread.

Venkat
venkat
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jul 15 2008, 09:04 PM) *

There is a song in Adalat, "Ja ja re ja sajana" sung by Lata ji (Sad part) and Asha ji (fast paced mujra style). The portion sung by Asha ji is so much in OPN style that if we only listen to that part no one will believe that its not composed by OPN

Parag

Spot on, Parag Ji. Whenever I heard that song, I too used to think so. smile.gif

Venkat
parag_sankla
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 08:27 AM) *

Venkat

Venkat ji, this is an authentic Bhangda song (the first in Hindi film, as per my knowledge). I don't think this is OPN style song. (Strictly IMHO)

Would love to hear opinion of the experts !

Cheers
Parag
venkat
QUOTE(maheshks @ Jul 15 2008, 08:44 PM) *

Dupatta mera malmal ka....asha and geeta in adalat....madan mohan

Ang lag jaa balma....mera naame jokar.....shankar jaikishan

There are many more....

Yes, sir. Especially that "Dupatta mera" song sounds so OPNish!
venkat
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jul 15 2008, 09:15 PM) *

Venkat

Venkat ji, this is an authentic Bhangda song (the first in Hindi film, as per my knowledge). I don't think this is OPN style song. (Strictly IMHO)

Cheers
Parag

Well, you are right in a way. But, when you consider "Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawanonki" from Film:Naya Daur a typical OPN song, then this "Jhoot Boliyan" also is very similar. Isn't it?

Venkat
cinemaniac2
The whole album Night Club-1958 by Madan Mohan and whole of Dil Deke Dekho by Usha Khanna

venkat
Coming to S.Mohinder, at least three Songs from his Film:Picnic(1966) qualify.

1. "Lallaroo Laroo, Mausam Lehraa Gaya, Nasha Sa Chha Gaya"--Rafi&Asha

2. "Jab Mera Aanchal Dhalega"--Rafi & Asha

3. "Aanchal Ko Udne Do"--Asha

Venkat
venkat
What strikes me as significant is that, for composing these OPN type songs, even the other MDs have not used Lata Ji and have toed the OPN line by using Asha/Shamshad/Geeta!!!!! rolleyes.gif

Venkat
venkat
In the context of Iqbal Quereshi, I tend to think that this song fits the bill!

"Jab Tak Duniya Rahi Rahega Tera Naam Mera Naaam"--Film:Yeh Dil Kis Ko Doon(1963)--Rafi & Asha

Or for that matter, to some extent, even "Kitni Haseen Ho Tum"--Rafi & Asha from the same Film

Venkat
venkat
And then, what about this Rafi-Asha duet by Anil Biswas?

"Aa Jaao, Tumhe Dil Ka Afsaana Sunana Hai, Khamosh Zamana Hai"---Film:Heer(1956)--Rafi&Asha

The Asha voice in this song is so OPNish too!!! smile.gif

Venkat
venkat
In this context of N.Datta, what about these two songs?

1."Dil Ki Tamanna Thi Masthi Mein"--Rafi & Asha--Gyaara Hazaar Ladkiyan(1962)

2."Bachna Zara, Zamana Hai Bura"--Rafi & Geeta--Milap(1955)

Venkat
joshi
Venkat ji,

Would this fit the bill "Balkhaati Sharmaati Aa Ja" from "Usne Kaha Tha"...
venkat
QUOTE(joshi @ Jul 15 2008, 10:17 PM) *

Venkat ji,

Oh yes, Joshi Ji. Certainly, it does. smile.gif

Venkat
venkat
Well, I do think that most MDs have one or more of OPN type songs. But, there is one exception and that is the Badshah of originality, Shankar Jaikishan!!!

Actually, I may be wrong, but I do think that SJ and OPN always had run in parallel tracks, which never met or overlapped!!! rolleyes.gif

Venkat
venkat
QUOTE(cinemaniac2 @ Jul 15 2008, 09:25 PM) *

The whole album Night Club-1958 by Madan Mohan and whole of Dil Deke Dekho by Usha Khanna

CM2 Ji, you are very right about Night Club-1958. 'Dil Deke Dekho' Tho Hai Hi!!

Venkat
joshi
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Venkat ji,

Venkat

thanks Venkat ji! There are a couple of folk-music based songs by Anil da that come to my mind right now. Had those been composed a couple of decades later, it could have been called "OPN style music".

I will not list those here though - somehow doesn't feel right.
venkat
QUOTE(joshi @ Jul 15 2008, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Venkat ji,

Venkat

thanks Venkat ji! There are a couple of folk-music based songs by Anil da that come to my mind right now. Had those been composed a couple of decades later, it could have been called "OPN style music".

I will not list those here though - somehow doesn't feel right.

Well, Joshi Ji, in my post no. 17, I have already listed one such song by Anil Biswas.

"Aa Jaao, Tumhe Dil Ka Afsaana Sunana Hai, Khamosh Zamana Hai"---Film:Heer(1956)--Rafi&Asha

Actually, we are only discussing OPN type songs by other MDs without necessarily implying that they have copied him!!

Venkat

venkat
Another one, this time composed by S.D.Batish as MD.

"Lagoon Main Kaisi Tum Ko Sanam, Kali Se Poocho Kya kahe Ham"--Film:Tipu Sultan(1959)--MD:S.D.Batish--Rafi & Asha

Venkat
parag_sankla
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jul 15 2008, 09:15 PM) *

Venkat

Cheers
Parag

Well, you are right in a way. But, when you consider "Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawanonki" from Film:Naya Daur a typical OPN song, then this "Jhoot Boliyan" also is very similar. Isn't it?

Venkat

You will not believe this Venkat ji, but since the time I posted that message I have been humming this song from Naya Daur all the time. I would say, the song from Naya Daur is a Bhangda based song composed by the Rhythm King OP. Since the base of this song and the song from Jaagate Raho (a personal favorite of mine) are the same, it seems like Salilda's song is so OPish.

biggrin.gif

Cheers
Parag

Anupama
Check these out Venkatji!

Udan Khatola - Mera Salaam Le Ja (Naushad Ali) - Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus

Dekha Jaayega - Baatein Banaane Waale (Sardul Kwatra) - Suman Kalyanpur

Dekha Jaayega - Bhool Na Jaana Humko (Sardul Kwatra) - Suman Kalyanpur & Mahendra Kapoor

Dekha Jaayega - Aaja Mere Dilruba (Sardul Kwatra) - Asha Bhonsle

Akeli Mat Jaiyo - Yeh Samaa Yeh Mastaana Mausam (Madan Mohan) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Kohinoor - Koi Pyaar Ki Dekhe Jaadugari (Naushad Ali) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Devar - Kaajal Waale Nain Mila Ke (Roshan) - Rafi Sahab

China Town - Humse Na Poochho Hum Kahan Chale (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Taxi 555 - Koi Chaand Koi Taara (Sardar Malik) - Rafi Sahab & Geeta Dutt

Reporter Raju - Gussa Fazool Hai (S.Mohinder) - Rafi Sahab

Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya - Main Suraj Hoon Tu Meri Kiran (Sonik-Omi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Sagaai (1966) - Na Yeh Zameen Thi (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Sun To Le Haseena - Baanke Teer Andaaz (S.Mohinder) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Aurat - Meri Gaadi Udan Khatola (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab

Bada Bhai - Hello Hyderabadi (Nashad) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Barkha - Woh Jo Door Nadiya Behti Hai (Chitragupta) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Char Darvesh - Pyaar Ke Daaman Se Lipte (G.S.Kohli) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

College Girl (1960) - Pehla Pehla Pyaar Ka Ishaara (Shankar-Jaikishan) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Detective - Aankhon Pe Bharosa Mat Kar & Kal Talak Hum Theek Tha (Mukul Roy)

Duniya Jhukti Hai - Phoolon Se Dosti Hai (Hemant Kumar) - Rafi Sahab

Faulaad - Dil Hai Hamaara Phool Se Nazuk (G.S.Kohli) - Rafi Sahab & Chorus

Laat Saab - Jaane Mera Dil Kise Dhoondh (Shankar Jaikishan) - Rafi Sahab

Main Shaadi Karne Chala - Saamne Rakh Lein Tujhe (Chitragupta) - Rafi Sahab & Suman Kalyanpur

Zara Bach Ke - Pata Note Karoji (Nashad) - Rafi Sahab

Anmol Ghadi - Udan Khatole Pe Ud Jaaun (Naushad Ali) - Shamshad Begum & Zohrabai

Bahaar - Saiyaan Dil Mein Aana Re (S.D.Burman) - Shamshad Begum

Taangewaali - Dekho Taanga Mera Niraala (Salil Chowdhary) - Rafi Sahab

Taangewaali - Tere Nainon Ne Jaadu Daala (Salil Chowdhary) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Exon
Pyar Ka Bandhan (1963) Rafi's song:
ghodaa peshauri mera, tangaa laahori mera
baito miyaan ji baito laalaa,
main hoon albela taange waala

Exon
Ittefaq
Mr. India- Nazar Yeh Teri Theeki (G.S. Kohli)
Kali Topi Lal Rumal- Gori Odh Ke Malmal (Chitragupta)
Kali Topi Lal Rumal- O Kali Topiwale (Chitragupta)

parag_sankla
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 15 2008, 09:53 AM) *

Well, I do think that most MDs have one or more of OPN type songs. But, there is one exception and that is the Badshah of originality, Shankar Jaikishan!!!
Actually, I may be wrong, but I do think that SJ and OPN always had run in parallel tracks, which never met or overlapped!!! rolleyes.gif

Venkat

Venkat ji, with all due respect to SJ, I am sure no one is "doodh ka dhoola". "Aye phoolon ki raani" from Aarzoo is heavily inspired by another song of Rafi sahab composed by Naushad sahab. I am sure there are some more instances like this ! The songs of SJ in 70's were heavily inspired from western music. (Dharmendra's Saajish is an excellent example : "How sweet dadajee" and another MK song !)

Best Regards
Parag
venkat
QUOTE(Anupama @ Jul 16 2008, 03:52 AM) *

Check these out Venkatji!

Udan Khatola - Mera Salaam Le Ja (Naushad Ali) - Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus

Dekha Jaayega - Baatein Banaane Waale (Sardul Kwatra) - Suman Kalyanpur

Dekha Jaayega - Bhool Na Jaana Humko (Sardul Kwatra) - Suman Kalyanpur & Mahendra Kapoor

Dekha Jaayega - Aaja Mere Dilruba (Sardul Kwatra) - Asha Bhonsle

Akeli Mat Jaiyo - Yeh Samaa Yeh Mastaana Mausam (Madan Mohan) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Kohinoor - Koi Pyaar Ki Dekhe Jaadugari (Naushad Ali) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Devar - Kaajal Waale Nain Mila Ke (Roshan) - Rafi Sahab

China Town - Humse Na Poochho Hum Kahan Chale (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Taxi 555 - Koi Chaand Koi Taara (Sardar Malik) - Rafi Sahab & Geeta Dutt

Reporter Raju - Gussa Fazool Hai (S.Mohinder) - Rafi Sahab

Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya - Main Suraj Hoon Tu Meri Kiran (Sonik-Omi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Sagaai (1966) - Na Yeh Zameen Thi (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Sun To Le Haseena - Baanke Teer Andaaz (S.Mohinder) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Aurat - Meri Gaadi Udan Khatola (Ravi) - Rafi Sahab

Bada Bhai - Hello Hyderabadi (Nashad) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

Barkha - Woh Jo Door Nadiya Behti Hai (Chitragupta) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Char Darvesh - Pyaar Ke Daaman Se Lipte (G.S.Kohli) - Rafi Sahab & Asha Bhonsle

College Girl (1960) - Pehla Pehla Pyaar Ka Ishaara (Shankar-Jaikishan) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Detective - Aankhon Pe Bharosa Mat Kar & Kal Talak Hum Theek Tha (Mukul Roy)

Duniya Jhukti Hai - Phoolon Se Dosti Hai (Hemant Kumar) - Rafi Sahab

Faulaad - Dil Hai Hamaara Phool Se Nazuk (G.S.Kohli) - Rafi Sahab & Chorus

Laat Saab - Jaane Mera Dil Kise Dhoondh (Shankar Jaikishan) - Rafi Sahab

Main Shaadi Karne Chala - Saamne Rakh Lein Tujhe (Chitragupta) - Rafi Sahab & Suman Kalyanpur

Zara Bach Ke - Pata Note Karoji (Nashad) - Rafi Sahab

Anmol Ghadi - Udan Khatole Pe Ud Jaaun (Naushad Ali) - Shamshad Begum & Zohrabai

Bahaar - Saiyaan Dil Mein Aana Re (S.D.Burman) - Shamshad Begum

Taangewaali - Dekho Taanga Mera Niraala (Salil Chowdhary) - Rafi Sahab

Taangewaali - Tere Nainon Ne Jaadu Daala (Salil Chowdhary) - Rafi Sahab & Lata Mangeshkar

Very long list, Anupama Ji, of which I do not know/recall three or four numbers.

All are appropriate ones.

Especially, the ones that I have coloured, namely the Detective ones, the Faulad number, the Duniya Jhukti Hai song, the Tangewali numbers and the Anmol Ghadi and Bahar songs , are very fit candidates, in my humble view.

Venkat
venkat
QUOTE(Ittefaq @ Jul 16 2008, 04:40 AM) *

Mr. India- Nazar Yeh Teri Theeki (G.S. Kohli)
Kali Topi Lal Rumal- Gori Odh Ke Malmal (Chitragupta)
Kali Topi Lal Rumal- O Kali Topiwale (Chitragupta)

Spot on, Ittefaq Ji. All the three are apt numbers.

Actually, in Mr. India, there is another fast song by Rafi Saab, "Haaye, Haaye, Teri Aankh Mein Woh Kamal Hai, Teri Har Ada Bemisaal Hai". But, that is such an SJ-type song and not OPNish. More like the "Aaja Re Aa Zara" song by Rafi Saab in Love In Tokyo (SJ)!!!

In fact, this is what I meant by "parallel and differing tracks of OPN and SJ" with regard to fast numbers.

Venkat
venkat
Friends,

Here are some more proposals!

1. "Hum Bulathe Hi Rahe, Tum Jalathe Hi Re"--Film:Dekh Kabira Roya(1957)--MD:Madan Mohan--Rafi&Asha

2."Jhuke Hai Badal, Baalon Ke, Khile Hai Gulshan, Gaalon Ke"--Film:Kal Hamara Hai(1959)--MD:Chitragupta--Rafi&Asha

3."Qadam Qadam Pe Baharen Lutatha, Yeh Kaun Aaya Hai Aanchal Udaatha"--Film:Madam XYZ(1959)--MD:Chitragupta---Rafi&Lata

4."Tum Mile Jo Din Dhale, Peechey Peechey Ham Chale, May I Know Your Name, Ma'am Ma'am Ma'am"--Film:Dr. Shaitan(1960)--MD:N.Datta--Rafi & Geeta

5."Le Chala Jidhar yeh Dil Nikal Pade"--Film:Miss Bombay(1957)--MD:Hansraj Behl--Rafi

Venkat
usrafian
clap1.gif to this thread & to all the participants.

Venkat Ji thanks for producing 'OPNish' adjective, so lovely. wub.gif

OPNish type of songs is not necessarily theft of OPN's tune but it is a style-Adaa of any 'Lovely Heart' of humans, birds, animals,amphibians etc., mean to say let it could be from any part of this infinite univers, it would be known as OPNish type. laugh.gif laugh.gif

So for all the songs suggested by dear members in this thread (& going to be suggested onward), were/are/will super-duper hit songs !!!

I have also fetched-up few....

Ravi:-
Bharosa–Rafi-Asha- Kaahe Itna Gumaan Goriye Ki Mela Do Din Ka
Duj Ka Chand–Muqqaddar Aazmanaa Chahata Huun
Ghar Ki Laaj – Laal batti Ka Nishan Neeche Paan Ki Dukaan
(All films having leading role of Johny Walker, are having atleast 1 or 2 OPNish type song irrespective of MD)

Shanker Jaikeshen:-
Professor – Awaaz Deke Hamen Tum Bulaao
Dil Apna Preet Praaye- Jaane Kahaan Gayee Dil Mera Le Gayee Le Gayee Who
April Phool – Meri Muhabbat Paak Muhabbat
Hamrahi – Woh Chale Jhatak Ke Daaman Meri Arzoo Mita Ke

Kalyanji Anandji:-
Himalay Ki God Mein – Oye Tu Raat Khadi Thi Chhat Pe Ni Main

Hushnlal Bhagatram –
Aansoo – Sun Mere Saajna Ho

Chitragupt-
Kali Topi Laal Rumal-Lata-Dagaa Dagaa Vai Vai
Taxi Stand – Aana O Bhai Jaan Khilaauun Paan Lagaa Ke Chhuna.

Dattaram-
Raaka-1965-Teri Meherbani Hogi Badi Meharbani

Ganesh-Thakur Jernail Singh-Asha-Hum Tere Bin Jee Na Sakenge Sanam

Iqbal Qureshi-Yeh Dil Kisko Duun-Kitni Haseen Ho Tum

Madan Mohan-Bombay Race course-Rafi-Le Gayee Zalim, ghadi Samajh Ke Mera Dadkata Dil'

USR

ps : I would say, each & every song mentioned in this thread, deserves special discussion in detail:rolleyes:
venkat
There are two songs in Raat Ke Rahi(1959)--MD:Bipin Babul, which are so OPN-like.

1."Aa Bhi Jaa Bewafa, Main Tera Hoon Aaaa"---Asha Bhosle

2." Ek Nazar, Ek Ada, Keemat-e-Dil Aur Hai Kya"--Rafi

Venkat
venkat
And then, how about these two songs?

1. "Jab Din Haseen, Dil Ho Jawan, Kyon Na Manaaye Picnic"--Film:Adalat(1958)--MD:Madan Mohan--Rafi&Asha

2. "Yahin To Din Hain Baharon Ke, Dupatton Ke Nazaaron Ke, Rumaalon Ke Isharon Ke"--Film:Main Bhi Ladki Hoon(1964)--MD:Chitragupta---Rafi & Asha

Venkat
venkat
Another OPNish Hansraj Behl song. smile.gif

"Yeh Kehdo Tumhe Kya Chahiye, Hame Dard-e-Dil Ki Dawa Chahiye, Dawa Chahiye Ya Saza Chahiye, Hame Aap Ka Faisla Chahiye"--Film:Gulebakavali--MD:Hansraj Behl--Asha & Surinder Kohli

Venkat
balajigade
I may disagree with some of the nos. included in the list

Simple jazz beats, Punjabi folk-backdrops or horse-tap beats donot necessarily point to OPN. For example koi pyar ki dekhe... (Kohinoor), jhooth boliyan...(Jagte Raho...) or Bheega bheega... (Sawan) cannot be called of a OP flavour (despite the suggestive combination of Rafi & Shamshad in the last one.

Typical qualities of OPN are:

--combination of jazz and desi instruments like sitar, sarangi

--fill-ins with clarionet so unique, examples : jawaniyan yeh.. (Tumsa Nahin Dekha), main bangali chhokra...(Ragini) and so on.

--fast and typical tabla+dholak beats like piya piya.. (Phagun), raaton ko chori chori... (Mohabbat Zindagi Hai). The rythm & flavour of these beats is different from others.

--jazz beats in the mukhda followed by the characteristic tabla beats in the antaraas

--voice modulations of Asha...stressing at a given point and throwing with a taan at some other...typical Asha gimmicks, difficult to explain in the text.

--Balaji
venkat
QUOTE(balajigade @ Jul 16 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Simple jazz beats, Punjabi folk-backdrops or horse-tap beats donot necessarily point to OPN. For example koi pyar ki dekhe... (Kohinoor), jhooth boliyan...(Jagte Raho...) or Bheega bheega... (Sawan) cannot be called of a OP flavour (despite the suggestive combination of Rafi & Shamshad in the last one.

--fill-ins with clarionet so unique, examples : jawaniyan yeh.. (Tumsa Nahin Dekha), main bangali chhokra...(Ragini) and so on.

--fast and typical tabla+dholak beats like piya piya.. (Phagun), raaton ko chori chori... (Mohabbat Zindagi Hai). The rythm & flavour of these beats is different from others.

--jazz beats in the mukhda followed by the characteristic tabla beats in the antaraas

--voice modulations of Asha...stressing at a given point and throwing with a taan at some other...typical Asha gimmicks, difficult to explain in the text.

--Balaji

I agree with you, in general, Balaji, that not all the songs (including some of my own) being mentioned rightly belong to this thread.

But, I may have to disagree with you on two, namely Bheega Bheega Pyar Ka Sama, which would instantly remind you of a Mangke Saath Tumahra (Naya Daur), in the feel and flavor, though not fully in the tune.

Similarly, one cannot be blamed for bracketing "Jhoot Boliyan" as OPNish, because OPN has fathered this song's cousin in Film:Naya Daur, "Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawanon Ki". Forget which came first and which came later, but the similarity is there to hear!

Venkat

PS. OPNishness itself is a grey parameter, which is very difficult to define in so many words. So, only instincts should work!!
parag_sankla
Great observation and explnation Balaji. You have a great knowledge and expertize on old HFM. Thank you sir

Best Regards
Parag
venkat
QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 16 2008, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(balajigade @ Jul 16 2008, 09:13 PM) *

--Balaji

I agree with you, in general, Balaji, that not all the songs (including some of my own) being mentioned rightly belong to this thread.

But, I may have to disagree with you on two, namely Bheega Bheega Pyar Ka Sama, which would instantly remind you of a Mangke Saath Tumahra (Naya Daur), in the feel and flavor, though not fully in the tune.

Similarly, one cannot be blamed for bracketing "Jhoot Boliyan" as OPNish, because OPN has fathered this song's cousin in Film:Naya Daur, "Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawanon Ki". Forget which came first and which came later, but the similarity is there to hear!

Venkat

PS. OPNishness itself is a grey parameter, which is very difficult to define in so many words. So, only instincts should work!!

When I thought hard what might be OPNishness, I concluded that it is 70% Punjabi folk type and 30% middle eastern /arabian type. When you hear a "Ek Pardesi Tera Dil Legaya" or a "Yeh Desh Hai Veer Jawanonki", etc., you get that Punjabi folk falvor. And when you hear songs such as "Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfonka Andhera" or a "Neele Aasamaan" song or a "Fifty Kuch Tere Dil Mein Fifty" song, you get that Arabic/mid-eastern feel. Well, typical use of certain musical instruments such as Sarangi, Guitars and for that matter, a very typical Flute usage, Asha's voice variations are all part of OPNism.

Actually, Punjabi Folk in Hindi Films has come to be viewed as the monopoly of OPN, though there are others too who have utilised it. The reason may be that OPN has utilised it for a very high percentage of his songs, where as others did so occasionally.

I can give one analogy from the corporate world. In olden days, it was Godrej & Boyce that pioneered and popularised the concept of steel almirah. Subsequently, when other manufaturers, small and medium, too started making Steel almirahs of Godrej type, the Aam Aadmi used to call them also Godrej. In fact, any Steel Almirah has come to be known as Godrej only.

In a somewhat similar way, any Punjabi Folk in Hindi Films has come to be associated with OPN!!!

In this thread, we are trying to recall songs by other MDs which sound like OPN songs, however difficult or subjective the exercise may be.

The above is just to put things in their perspective. smile.gif

Venkat

PS. One acid test for determining an OPN type song could be this. You have heard OPN songs in large numbers and extensively and thus know his music. Now, when you suddenly heard an unknown song, have you wondered whether the MD was OPN and then have later come to know it is not? If yes, that song qualifies here.

In my own experience, I have some songs which have passed through this process.

1.When I first heard Dil Deke Dekho songs, I thought the MD was OPN!

2.When I first heard Bheega Bheega Pyar Ka Sama, I thought the MD was OPN!

3. When I first heard "Yeh Rangeen Mehfil Gulabi Gulabi" song from Film:Shikari, I thought the MD was OPN!

There are lots others and hence this thread.

Venkat
Sukesh Hoogan
Sorry to say this, but some members have gone overboard and have started labeling songs (left right and centre) as OPNayaarish. It seems, a myth is being spread that OPN was first with some style and rest just copied the style. How preposterous can one get!

1) Even the OPN songs with horsehoof beats came much later. For example, Naushad in Deedar (1951) - 'bachpan ke din', Aan (1952) - 'dil mei.in chhupaa ke' and Salil Chowdhury in Tangewali (1955) - 'halke halke chalo saa.nvare', predate OPN's similar compositions. There may be others too.

2) Pray would someone explain the basis to state that 'aawaaz deke' from Professor (1963) is OPNayyarish. And also other S-J compositions.

3) Husnlal Bhagatram's Aansoo is 1953 vintage, when OPN was just about to cut his teeth and a claim is made that 'sunn mere saajanaa re' is .................

Regards
Sukesh
venkat
QUOTE(Sukesh Hoogan @ Jul 17 2008, 05:29 PM) *

Sorry to say this, but some members have gone overboard and have started labeling songs (left right and centre) as OPNayaarish. It seems, a myth is being spread that OPN was first with some style and rest just copied the style. How preposterous can one get!

1) Even the OPN songs with horsehoof beats came much later. For example, Naushad in Deedar (1951) - 'bachpan ke din', Aan (1952) - 'dil mei.in chhupaa ke' and Salil Chowdhury in Tangewali (1955) - 'halke halke chalo saa.nvare', predate OPN's similar compositions. There may be others too.

2) Pray would someone explain the basis to state that 'aawaaz deke' from Professor (1963) is OPNayyarish. And also other S-J compositions.

3) Husnlal Bhagatram's Aansoo is 1953 vintage, when OPN was just about to cut his teeth and a claim is made that 'sunn mere saajanaa re' is .................

Regards
Sukesh

Sukesh Ji,

My response to your observations.

1. I fully agree that some/many songs mentioned here are not at all OPNish. Well, I did not want to mention it earlier in order not to directly negate an enthusiastic member. But, I fully agree with you that "Aawaz Deke Hame" from Professor does not have an iota of OPNism in it!! Simialarly, I do not know whether anyone has mentioned "Sun Mere Sajana Re" from Aansoo(HB) as OPNish, but if he/she did, nothing is farther from truth. Same goes with a good number of non-OPNish songs mentioned here, especially the SJ ones.

2. However, I would like to make one point. Other MDs might have used one critical ingredient of OPNism, namely Punjabi Folk, much earlier than OPN did, but it is OPN who is branded and associated with Punjabi Folk, as he alone composed a very very large number of such songs. That is why I have mentioned/endorsed some Punjabi Folk type songs of other MDs, even though they came earlier than OPN's.

Venkat

PS. I sincerely welcome the differing views of Balaji, Parag Ji and Sukesh Ji, as it also gives one an opportunity of clarifying. Kindly say so, if any other song/songs mentioned by me or others are not OPNish, according to you.
venkat
QUOTE(balajigade @ Jul 15 2008, 09:03 PM) *

Kal sajna... Ardhangini

and many more

--Balaji

I have a couple of disagreements here too, which I did not want to mention earlier. 1. Dilli Ka Thug. 2.Adventures of Robinhood and 3. Adalat song is just a border case!! smile.gif

The ones I heartily agree to in the above list are the first one, namely 'Khanke To Kahnke Kyon Khanke' by Rafi-Asha and the second one, namely 'Meri Hirni Jaisi Chaal', in addition to 'Yaar Chulbula" song from Dil Deke Dekho, which I already touched upon.

Mentioned this just to highlight the difficulty of this exercise and to drive home that no one can get it right 100%.
venkat
Friends,

On to our OPNish songs by other MDs.

Iqbal Quereshi is one MD who has now and then taken an OPN-path. We have earlier recalled a couple of his songs from Film:Yeh Dil Kis Ko Doon.

There is another Film of his, Love In Simla(1960), in which a couple of songs sound OPNish. Incidentally, for these two songs also, I used to think the MD was OPN only, until I knew otherwise!

1."Gaal Gulabi Kis Ke Hain, Nain Sharabi Kis Ke Hain, Baalon Mein Kis Ke Raat Base"---Rafi & Chorus

2."Love Ka Matlab Hai Pyaar, Pyar Dilon Ka Qarar"--Rafi & Asha

Venkat
Anupama
Hey gr8 ppl
Relax!
Nobody here is claimin that O.P.Nayyar copied the style or vice-a-versa. My list was mainly based on horse-hoof tunes. Whether the song is Pre-OPN or Post-OPN whenever you listen to a horse-hoof beat (HFM), one name immediately comes to your mind and that is O.P.Nayyar. Well, I don't know about others but it does to me. The mind registers myriad of impressions but only a few leave behind an indelible imprint. IMHO, he was a trend setter in many ways. I think that is why this thread was started keeping his kinda songs (composed by other MDs) in mind.
I hear that tanga-ridin sound in SJ's song Pehla Pehla Pyaar Ka Ishaara hence the mention of the song. I didn't think out of the box like Balaji did.

Anyway, nice reading the comments!

Cheers,
smile.gif
nasir
Has anyone mentioned the 1994 song:
AILO AILO,
AILO JI SANAM HAMM AA GAYE
AAJ PHIR DIL LEKE...

Music is by Tushar Bhatia. This is an outrightly O.P. Nayyar style in all respects: the tune, the singing style, plus the Tonga. smile.gif This song is from ANDAZ APNA APNA, an Amir and Salman starrer comedy.

venkat
QUOTE(nasir @ Jul 18 2008, 10:06 AM) *

Has anyone mentioned the 1994 song:
AILO AILO,
AILO JI SANAM HAMM AA GAYE
AAJ PHIR DIL LEKE...

Music is by Tushar Bhatia. This is an outrightly O.P. Nayyar style in all respects: the tune, the singing style, plus the Tonga. smile.gif This song is from ANDAZ APNA APNA, an Amir and Salman starrer comedy.

Spot on, Nasir Ji. No question. smile.gif

In fact, though I never hear nor notice post-1980 songs, the only reason I took note of this song is its OPNishness!!! biggrin.gif

Venkat
parag_sankla
QUOTE(balajigade @ Jul 15 2008, 08:33 AM) *

Kal sajna... Ardhangini

and many more

--Balaji

Balaji has already listed the song from Andaz Apna Apna.

This song was actually a tribute by Tushar Bhatia to the great rhythm king O P Nayyar.

smile.gif

Cheers
Parag
venkat
Another two songs from the House of Madan Mohan! smile.gif

1."Adaayen Jab Ho Latke Daar, Nigaheen Bhi Ho Jhatke Daar, To Bach Ke Jaaye Kahan Dil Walen"--Film:Khota Paisa(1958)---MD:Madan Mohan--Rafi & Asha

2."Haseenon Sambhalo Apni Yeh Duniya, Ham To Chale Veeranon Mein"--Film:Khota Paisa(1958)--MD:Madan Mohan--Rafi

Venkat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.