Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shooting Stars Of Hindi Film Music
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
HumTum
Starting this new series "Shooting Stars of Hindi Film Music". This thread would be handling the lesser known music directors who gave us great compositions but were hardly known or spoken of while discussing music. As is the usual practice, we often tend to discuss well known composers and their music and these forgotten composers have practically been erased off the book of Hindi film music. I am amazed how many such composers have been missed out when we music lovers discussed music. A fleeting glance at the databases on the net made me wince in pain to notice that so many melodies we know were composed by these forgotten composers and I decided to work on collecting information and albums of these lesser known MDs.This thread would be our own small way to pay tributes to the music they gave us.

Friends please do join in to add your bit to this thread. Thank you.

HT

Lesser Known MDs :
(This post will be updated regularly. Thanks to Erum Sis and Pinky Sis for their input on these Lesser Known Mds.)

#1. Ajay-Vishwanath
#2. Dhaniram - Refer thread - http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=467944
#3. Ajay Merchant
#4. Bipin-Babul - Refer thread - http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=468816
#5. Kanu Roy - Refer thread - http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=469594
#6 Anil-Arun - Refer Post - http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=535158
HumTum
First in one such series is Music composers AJAY VISHWANATH. I tried to gather more information, but all search went in vain. They probably have composed just this one album that dates back to 1974. This devotional movie Hanuman Vijay (1974) featuring a few known actors like Kanan Kaushal, has popular singers churning out melodies. Some of the names will definitely make us happy --- Mohd Rafi, Asha, Suman and Vani Jayaram. wub.gif

To me it was worth my collections and I am sure it would be an added asset to yours too. wink.gif Don't bother thanking me for this album, but atleast give a few minutes after downloading to listen to these songs and let it not just be another file in your folder of many such collections. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif I would then say it was worth all my effort to share them here. laugh.gif
(a post note : The Rafi sahab songs were already uploaded on this board by Steve bhai on Mohd Rafi Forum. smile.gif )

(Vcd) --- 160 kbps

The lyricists are B.D. Mishra and Madan.
Mohd Rafi --- Jai jai ram jai sri ram-1 --- 00:54 min
Suman Kalyanpur --- Chanda ki sundarta chandan ki sheetalta --- 03:00 min
Unknown voice --- Raam ke charan --- 00:53 min
Asha Bhosle --- Haan kehde to laaj ka aanchal aaj hata doon --- 03:49 min
Unknown voice --- Raam ke naina bhar bhar aaye --- 01:52 min
Mohd Rafi --- Jai jai ram jai sri ram-2--- 05:36 min
Suman Kalyanpur - Vani Jayaram --- Ambar ke neeche dharti --- 04:30 min
Mohd Rafi --- Kaahe dhoondhe raam ko dharti gagan mein --- 04:08 min

[appendix: Erum Sis just gave the details that they have composed for one more movie but alas an unreleased one. (aside that they are two people and not one person. wink.gif )

Quoting Erum Sis - JAAN BACHI LAAKHON PAAYE, an unreleased film from 60s having 6songs by RAFI, MAHENDER KAPOOR, MANNA DEY, SHARDA & KRISHNA KALLE!
Sangeet
Small Snippet

Chanda ki sundarta chandan ki sheetalta part 2- Suman Kalyanpur
Click to view attachment
parag_sankla
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 19 2008, 07:04 PM) *

Starting this new series "Shooting Stars of Hindi Film Music". This thread would be handling the lesser known music directors who gave us great compositions but were hardly known or spoken of while discussing music. As is the usual practice, we often tend to discuss well known composers and their music and these forgotten composers have practically been erased off the book of Hindi film music. I am amazed how many such composers have been missed out when we music lovers discussed music. A fleeting glance at the databases on the net made me wince in pain to notice that so many melodies we know were composed by these forgotten composers and I decided to work on collecting information and albums of these lesser known MDs.This thread would be our own small way to pay tributes to the music they gave us.

HT

HT , thanks a lots for starting this special thread on such an unusual yet so imaginative and informative topic. I would be more than happy to add details on a few composers from the fifties if you like.

Best Regards
Parag
HarshBhatt
Nice effort HumTum, keep up the good work
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 20 2008, 09:11 AM) *
First in one such series is Music composer AJAY VISHWANATH. I tried to gather more information, but all search went in vain. He probably has composed just this one album that dates back to 1974. This devotional movie Hanuman Vijay (1974) featuring a few known actors like Kanan Kaushal, has popular singers churning out melodies. Some of the names will definitely make us happy --- Mohd Rafi, Asha, Suman and Vani Jayaram. wub.gif

Bro,

AJAY VISHWANATH are two people, AJAY & VISHWANATH!

The only other film they did together is JAAN BACHI LAAKHON PAAYE, an unreleased film from 60s having 6songs by RAFI, MAHENDER KAPOOR, MANNA DEY, SHARDA & KRISHNA KALLE! smile.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Feb 20 2008, 03:03 PM) *
First in one such series is Music composer AJAY VISHWANATH. I tried to gather more information, but all search went in vain. He probably has composed just this one album that dates back to 1974. This devotional movie Hanuman Vijay (1974) featuring a few known actors like Kanan Kaushal, has popular singers churning out melodies. Some of the names will definitely make us happy --- Mohd Rafi, Asha, Suman and Vani Jayaram. wub.gif

Bro,

The only other film they did together is JAAN BACHI LAAKHON PAAYE, an unreleased film from 60s having 6songs by RAFI, MAHENDER KAPOOR, MANNA DEY, SHARDA & KRISHNA KALLE! smile.gif

Never found any info on them on the net Sis. mad.gif mad.gif Why did you not tell me last night? sleep.gif Anyway let me make the corrections accordingly. laugh.gif laugh.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Feb 20 2008, 10:07 AM) *
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 19 2008, 07:04 PM) *

HT

HT , thanks a lots for starting this special thread on such an unusual yet so imaginative and informative topic. I would be more than happy to add details on a few composers from the fifties if you like.

Best Regards
Parag

Parag bhai please go ahead and add what you think is good for this thread. This thread is for all of us to give our tribute to these lesser known MDs. Thank you for your kind offer. smile.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(Sangeet @ Feb 20 2008, 09:58 AM) *
Small Snippet

Chanda ki sundarta chandan ki sheetalta part 2- Suman Kalyanpur
Click to view attachment

Yeh DVD mein tha kya Sangeet bhai? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Thank you. bow.gif
Hari Ram
HT bhai,

Congratulations for this much needed thread and best wishes.

There is a movie named Romeo in Sikkim (1975) with music by Vishwanath. I don't if it is the same Vishwanath from the Ajay-Vishwanath team.

Hari Ram
HumTum
QUOTE(Hari Ram @ Feb 20 2008, 09:05 PM) *
HT bhai,

Congratulations for this much needed thread and best wishes.

There is a movie named Romeo in Sikkim (1975) with music by Vishwanath. I don't if it is the same Vishwanath from the Ajay-Vishwanath team.

Hari Ram

Thanks Hari Ram bhai. You are my inspiration. bow.gif Vishwanath of Romeo in Sikkim... ummm... it could likely be him. From where I live, I do not get much literature except this internet and I was not able to avail any details. I will check other sites where they discuss Mds of yesteryears. Thank you once again. smile.gif
HumTum
One more to add to our list is Dhani Ram. Erum sis has started a thread on this MD. We can get details from this thread. I have posted the link here.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry468063

(Thanks dear dear Sis. smile.gif )
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 22 2008, 09:48 AM) *
One more to add to our list is Dhani Ram. Erum sis has started a thread on this MD. We can get details from this thread. I have posted the link here.

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry468063

(Thanks dear dear Sis. smile.gif )

You're always welcome, Bro! And thanks for starting such a nice thread! Please keep it up! smile.gif

pinky
AJIT MERCHANT..a lesser known MD

Filmography

Refugee(1948)
Kariyawar(1948)
Raj Kumari(1955)
Indra leela(1956)
Chandi pooja(1957)
Ram bhakt vibhishan(1958)
Sapera(1961)
Challenge(1964)
Lady killer(1958)

A LISTENING SESSION ON A LESSER KNOWN MUSIC DIRECTOR – AJIT MERCHANT

It must have been a year or more than that since I had been pursuing my desire to meet a living legend, Ajit Merchant. I came to know from the book by Prof. Yogesh Yadav on 150 Music Directors that he is living in Mumbai. From then on, I had been calling him on the number given by Prof. Yadav many a times. Unfortunately, due to his bad health the meeting never took place.

I realized my dream of meeting Ajit Merchant on a Sunday, the 11th. Thanks to Dr. Madhav Rao, who had informed me about the event, where Ajit Merchant was coming as a Chief Guest. The occasion was forming
of a new club for music lovers(My sincere apologies to Mumbaikars of the groups, that even though I was aware of the programme well in advance, in my anxiety to meet Ajit Merchant I forgot to post this in
the Groups).

One of the organisers was Subash Bhatt, who happens to be a record collector too. The venue was Gujarati Seva Mandal, located in Matunga. The Mandal is located inside a gully after passing through
Kabutarkhana. I was a bit late in reaching the place. However, fortunately for me, the programme had not started.

It so happened that the organizers had not expected these many people. There were some 70-75 individuals. I fortunately found seats very close to where all the VIP's were sitting. Ajit Merchant was there with his better half. So were Kishore Parekh, Prakash Purandare, Tarachand Savla, Jeetendra Gala and Gandhi Bhai. I could hardly find people of my age group. This has been a common feature of all events, which I am getting used to now. Anyhow, it was around 10:25 A.M. when the programme finally started. The chief guest, Ajit Merchant started the event, announcing the launch of the musical club `Geet Gunjan' in Gujarathi. I had a little bit trouble in understanding what he was saying. However, I could make out the name of Ardeshir Irani when he talked about `Alam Ara' and Music director Kersi Mistry. Then he talked about New Theatres famous personalities like K.C. Dey and R.C. Boral. He mentioned Zohrabai Ambalewali too and laterPankaj Mullick and Anil Biswas. After Ajit Merchant's foray into the past, there was an introduction of Ajit Merchant by Prakash Purandare. Ajit Merchant has given music in overall 45 films, in both Hindi and Gujarathi. He has been giving music for various stage plays in English, Marathi and Gujarathi too. Mr. Ajit Saraai, a writer by profession presented two books to Ajit Merchant. Later Mr. Ajit Saraai informed me that one of the books was on the plays of Shakespeare and the other on review of two films.

Then it was time to listen to some songs, composed by Ajit Merchant. Subash Bhatt had compiled 20 songs especially for this event.

I am listing the songs below serially. I am adding comments wherever there was a comment on the song.

1). Taraa Aankh No Afeeni Taraa Roop No Bandhaani
Film Name: Deewar Daandi (Gujarathi)
Singer/s: Dilip Dholakia Lyricist: Bal Mukund Dave

2). Vagdavacche Talaavadi Ne
Singer/s: Dilip Dholakia - Rohini Roy Lyricist: Bal Mukund Dave

3). Panchi Gaane Lage (Indra Leela) [Part One] Year: 1956
Singer/s: Mohammed Rafi Lyricist: Saraswati Kumar Deepak

4). Panchi Gaane Lage (Indra Leela) [Part Two] Year: 1956

5). Parbhat Hat Jaa, Dharthi Fat Jaa (Indra Leela) Year: 1956
Singer/s: Asha Bhosle Lyricist: Saraswati Kumar Deepak

). Sun Lo Jiya Ki Baat (Indra Leela) Year: 1956

7). Purab Disa Ki Chanchal Badariya (Chandi Pooja) Year: 1957
Singer/s: Sudha Malhotra & Chorus Lyricist: Kavi Pradeep

8). Aji O Ji Kaho (Chandi Pooja) Year: 1957
Singer/s: Shamshad Begum – Mohammed Rafi Lyricist: Kavi Pradeep

Then Prakash Purandare shared some unknown information about the song `Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon'.
Kavi Pradeep wrote this song at Ajit Merchant's house during one of the visits.

Prakash then asked two questions to Ajit Merchant. One was about the selection of Shamshad Begum for the duet and the other was about choosing a lyricist like Kavi Pradeep to sing a song for his film Chandi Pooja.

Ajit Merchant answered the first question by saying that Shamshad Begum's voice suited the song hence she was taken. He went out further to state that Music directors did not have any say in the selection of singers. Further, he said that there was one more song of Shamshad Begum in this film, which was unfortunately, was not in Subash Bhatt's collection. This particular song `Ek Dharthi Ka Rajkumar' was a Radio Ceylon favourite. In fact, Gopal Sharma, an announcer with the station had said that if there was another children's song that was as popular as K.L. Saigal's `Ek Raaje Ke Beta Lekar' it was the Shamshad's song.

Ajit Merchant answered the second question by saying that Kavi Pradeep was not averse to singing. He had been singing since his early days with New Theatres. He also informed that Kavi Pradeep and Ajit Merchant had an argument over the song `Koi Laakh Karein Chaturaayi'. Khayaal Gaayki inspired this song.

9). Suno Sunaao Tum Ek Kahaani (Chandi Pooja) Year: 1957
Singer/s: Kavi Pradeep Lyricist: Kavi Pradeep

10). Koi Laakh Karein Chaturaayi (Chandi Pooja) Year: 1957

Ajit Merchant informed us that out of the two instruments used in the song, Shehnaai and Majeera, Ramlal had played the Shehnaai.

Then there was an announcement for an intermission. Most of the audiences were reluctant to go for a break. They were willing to sit out for the next one-hour or so. However, the organisers requested everyone to co-operate and since tea and light snacks was ordered for, it would be better if everybody had the same. I decided that I could make the best of this opportunity to meet Ajit Merchant and have a chat with him. Therefore, as soon as the crowd left for tea, I made my way gradually towards Ajit Merchant. Before meeting him, I decided to introduce myself to Subash Bhatt. He was pleased to know that I had come from Dombivli, which was according to him a sufficiently long distance. After that, I stood in the queue, which consisted of people wanting to talk with Ajit Merchant. Agreed that, others might wonder what was so special about meeting a lesser-known Music Director like him, but to me it was a pleasurable experience. He invited me to his house, now that he was feeling better. After meeting him, I went to have snacks and tea. There I met Jayanti Chheda. He has a shop in King's Circle by the name of `Musicraft'.

Before I had finished my tea and returned, the post-interval part had already begun. The organisers introduced Nanjibhai Bahadur. He is an 86-year-old veteran Assistant Music Director. He had assisted Roshan, Anil Biswas & O.P. Nayyar to name a few. Along with that, he had sung as chorus for some legendary artists like Kundan. Lal. Saigal and Suraiyya. Nanjibhai Bahadur set the tunes to the popular `Bade Armaanon Se Rakha Hain Balam'. Bahadur had a good collection of English songs in the form of EP's and LP's.

11). Roop Tumhara Aankhon Se Piluun (Sapera) Year: 1961
Singer/s: Manna Dey Lyricist: Indeevar

12). Raat Ne Ghesu Bikhraaye (Sapera) Year: 1961
Singer/s: Manna Dey-Suman Kalyanpur Lyricist: Indeevar

13). Main Hoon Sapere Tere Jaadu Ke Desh Mein (Sapera) Year: 1961
Singer/s: Suman Kalyanpur Lyricist: Indeevar

A lok geet had inspired the last song, as told by Ajit Merchant.

Tarachand Savla then introduced us to Kishore Desai. He was the Maanas Putra of C. Ramchandra. It was in fact Kishore Desai, who was with C. Ramchandra in the hospital during his last few days.

14). Bairi Ched Na Aise Raag (Sapera) Year: 1961

Prakash Purandare went on to say that, some Music Director/s had offered 10,000 Rs. Ajit Merchant in exchange for giving him/them the tunes composed by him. Even Raj Kapoor had asked for tunes from Ajit Merchant, but Ajit Merchant never parted with his tunes.

15). Bholo Bholo Bholo Piya (Sapera) Year: 1961
Singer/s: Suman Kalyanpur & Chorus Lyricist: Indeevar

This song was based on Gorakh Kalyan Raag.

16). O Ri Piya, Mora Tadpe Jiya (Sapera) Year: 1961

17). Kuch Tum Ne Kahaan, Kuch Humne Sunaa (Challenge) Year: 1964
Singer/s: Asha Bhosle Lyricist: Prem Dhawan

18). Main Bhi Hoon Majboor Sajan (Challenge) Year: 1964
Singer/s: Mukesh-Asha Bhosle Lyricist: Prem Dhawan

In his early days in Mumbai, Mukesh was staying in a flat donated by Ajit Merchant. Shanta Apte had sung her swan song for the film `Chandi Pooja'

19). Badle Re (3) Rang Badle Zamana Kahin (Challenge) Year: 1964
Singer/s: Lata Mangeshkar & Chorus Lyricist: Prem Dhawan

20). Main Ho Gayi Re Tere Liye Badnaam (Challenge) Year: 1964

Nanjibhai Bahadur then informed all that during his early years with HMV he had sung a solo `Tune Agar Pee Tho' and a duet with Snehlata. This was for a film `Bhaisahab' under Ninu Majumdar's compostion.

Thus concluded the programme.....

(source:Blog:Ramaswamy)

Click to view attachment

Qatil hai teri adaa- Mukesh - 5.42mins/128kbps
film-Lady Killer

Anther song frm 'Challenge' was u/led last month on my thred at the following link..is still active
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...st&p=457406

(thanks to hf)
King Kishore
Good Going HT Dost. smile.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(pinky @ Feb 22 2008, 03:38 PM) *

Filmography

Refugee(1948)
Kariyawar(1948)
Raj Kumari(1955)
Indra leela(1956)
Chandi pooja(1957)
Sapera(1961)
Challenge(1964)
Lady killer(1958)

It must have been a year or more than that since I had been pursuing my desire to meet a living legend, Ajit Merchant. I came to know from the book by Prof. Yogesh Yadav on 150 Music Directors that he is living in Mumbai. From then on, I had been calling him on the number given by Prof. Yadav many a times. Unfortunately, due to his bad health the meeting never took place.

I realized my dream of meeting Ajit Merchant on a Sunday, the 11th. Thanks to Dr. Madhav Rao, who had informed me about the event, where Ajit Merchant was coming as a Chief Guest. The occasion was forming
of a new club for music lovers(My sincere apologies to Mumbaikars of the groups, that even though I was aware of the programme well in advance, in my anxiety to meet Ajit Merchant I forgot to post this in
the Groups).

One of the organisers was Subash Bhatt, who happens to be a record collector too. The venue was Gujarati Seva Mandal, located in Matunga. The Mandal is located inside a gully after passing through
Kabutarkhana. I was a bit late in reaching the place. However, fortunately for me, the programme had not started.

It so happened that the organizers had not expected these many people. There were some 70-75 individuals. I fortunately found seats very close to where all the VIP's were sitting. Ajit Merchant was there with his better half. So were Kishore Parekh, Prakash Purandare, Tarachand Savla, Jeetendra Gala and Gandhi Bhai. I could hardly find people of my age group. This has been a common feature of all events, which I am getting used to now. Anyhow, it was around 10:25 A.M. when the programme finally started. The chief guest, Ajit Merchant started the event, announcing the launch of the musical club `Geet Gunjan' in Gujarathi. I had a little bit trouble in understanding what he was saying. However, I could make out the name of Ardeshir Irani when he talked about `Alam Ara' and Music director Kersi Mistry. Then he talked about New Theatres famous personalities like K.C. Dey and R.C. Boral. He mentioned Zohrabai Ambalewali too and laterPankaj Mullick and Anil Biswas. After Ajit Merchant's foray into the past, there was an introduction of Ajit Merchant by Prakash Purandare. Ajit Merchant has given music in overall 45 films, in both Hindi and Gujarathi. He has been giving music for various stage plays in English, Marathi and Gujarathi too. Mr. Ajit Saraai, a writer by profession presented two books to Ajit Merchant. Later Mr. Ajit Saraai informed me that one of the books was on the plays of Shakespeare and the other on review of two films.

Then it was time to listen to some songs, composed by Ajit Merchant. Subash Bhatt had compiled 20 songs especially for this event.

I am listing the songs below serially. I am adding comments wherever there was a comment on the song.

Then Prakash Purandare shared some unknown information about the song `Aye Mere Watan Ke Logon'.

Prakash then asked two questions to Ajit Merchant. One was about the selection of Shamshad Begum for the duet and the other was about choosing a lyricist like Kavi Pradeep to sing a song for his film Chandi Pooja.

Ajit Merchant answered the first question by saying that Shamshad Begum's voice suited the song hence she was taken. He went out further to state that Music directors did not have any say in the selection of singers. Further, he said that there was one more song of Shamshad Begum in this film, which was unfortunately, was not in Subash Bhatt's collection. This particular song `Ek Dharthi Ka Rajkumar' was a Radio Ceylon favourite. In fact, Gopal Sharma, an announcer with the station had said that if there was another children's song that was as popular as K.L. Saigal's `Ek Raaje Ke Beta Lekar' it was the Shamshad's song.

Ajit Merchant answered the second question by saying that Kavi Pradeep was not averse to singing. He had been singing since his early days with New Theatres. He also informed that Kavi Pradeep and Ajit Merchant had an argument over the song `Koi Laakh Karein Chaturaayi'. Khayaal Gaayki inspired this song.

Ajit Merchant informed us that out of the two instruments used in the song, Shehnaai and Majeera, Ramlal had played the Shehnaai.

Then there was an announcement for an intermission. Most of the audiences were reluctant to go for a break. They were willing to sit out for the next one-hour or so. However, the organisers requested everyone to co-operate and since tea and light snacks was ordered for, it would be better if everybody had the same. I decided that I could make the best of this opportunity to meet Ajit Merchant and have a chat with him. Therefore, as soon as the crowd left for tea, I made my way gradually towards Ajit Merchant. Before meeting him, I decided to introduce myself to Subash Bhatt. He was pleased to know that I had come from Dombivli, which was according to him a sufficiently long distance. After that, I stood in the queue, which consisted of people wanting to talk with Ajit Merchant. Agreed that, others might wonder what was so special about meeting a lesser-known Music Director like him, but to me it was a pleasurable experience. He invited me to his house, now that he was feeling better. After meeting him, I went to have snacks and tea. There I met Jayanti Chheda. He has a shop in King's Circle by the name of `Musicraft'.

Before I had finished my tea and returned, the post-interval part had already begun. The organisers introduced Nanjibhai Bahadur. He is an 86-year-old veteran Assistant Music Director. He had assisted Roshan, Anil Biswas & O.P. Nayyar to name a few. Along with that, he had sung as chorus for some legendary artists like Kundan. Lal. Saigal and Suraiyya. Nanjibhai Bahadur set the tunes to the popular `Bade Armaanon Se Rakha Hain Balam'. Bahadur had a good collection of English songs in the form of EP's and LP's.

Tarachand Savla then introduced us to Kishore Desai. He was the Maanas Putra of C. Ramchandra. It was in fact Kishore Desai, who was with C. Ramchandra in the hospital during his last few days.

Prakash Purandare went on to say that, some Music Director/s had offered 10,000 Rs. Ajit Merchant in exchange for giving him/them the tunes composed by him. Even Raj Kapoor had asked for tunes from Ajit Merchant, but Ajit Merchant never parted with his tunes.

In his early days in Mumbai, Mukesh was staying in a flat donated by Ajit Merchant. Shanta Apte had sung her swan song for the film `Chandi Pooja'

Nanjibhai Bahadur then informed all that during his early years with HMV he had sung a solo `Tune Agar Pee Tho' and a duet with Snehlata. This was for a film `Bhaisahab' under Ninu Majumdar's compostion.

Click to view attachment

film-Lady Killer

Anther song frm 'Challenge' was u/led last month on my thred at the following link..is still active

(thanks to hf)

Sis this is so good! Thanks a ton for adding this precious writeup from --- Ramaswamy blog - thanks Sir - I felt like I was there with you all, watching the whole programme - great work Sir.)

Not only did we get to read about Ajit Merchant but also about Nanjibhai Bahadur, the Asst MD. For our generation the yesteryears personalities known and lesser known are like books that we have to read and educate ourselves. And the mention of Mukesh ji staying in a flat donated by AM and how he did not part with his tunes for a few rupees, speaks volumes about Ajit Merchant.

Thank you Sis once again for unleashing a lesser known MD.smile.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(King Kishore @ Feb 22 2008, 10:02 PM) *
Good Going HT Dost. smile.gif

Thanks Sunny bhai. smile.gif
pinky
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 22 2008, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(pinky @ Feb 22 2008, 03:38 PM) *

Filmography

Refugee(1948)
Kariyawar(1948)
Raj Kumari(1955)
Indra leela(1956)
Chandi pooja(1957)
Sapera(1961)
Challenge(1964)
Lady killer(1958)

the Groups).

Click to view attachment

film-Lady Killer

(thanks to hf)

Sis this is so good! Thanks a ton for adding this precious writeup from --- Ramaswamy blog - thanks Sir - I felt like I was there with you all, watching the whole programme - great work Sir.)

Not only did we get to read about Ajit Merchant but also about Nanjibhai Bahadur, the Asst MD. For our generation the yesteryears personalities known and lesser known are like books that we have to read and educate ourselves. And the mention of Mukesh ji staying in a flat donated by AM and how he did not part with his tunes for a few rupees, speaks volumes about Ajit Merchant.

Thank you Sis once again for unleashing a lesser known MD.smile.gif

Most welcome HT smile.gif ...i like this topic, because it is different, most of the time only the more popular and famous mds are discussed and the lesser known directors get hardly any mention.
parag_sankla
Thanks Pinky for this great contribution. We are honoured to have members like you on HF

Cheers
Parag
pinky
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Feb 23 2008, 12:17 AM) *

Thanks Pinky for this great contribution. We are honoured to have members like you on HF

Cheers
Parag

Thank you parag, that is really nice of you... smile.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Feb 23 2008, 12:17 AM) *

Cheers
Parag

100% right. cool.gif
HumTum
LESSER KNOWN MDs # 4

Bipin-Babul --- One more lesser known MD. We can read more on these composers on Pinky sis' thread.

Link-

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=468816
Hari Ram
HT bhai,

Here is another MD, Kanu Roy (Geeta Dutt's brother), composed some excellent songs.

Kanu Roy's Filmography with songs list
(Limited to Hindi movies and songs)

Uski Kahani (1966)

<Kaifi Azmi> Geeta Dutt:
aaj ki kaali ghataa, mast-matwaali ghataa
mujhse kahati hai ki pyaasaa hai koyi, kaun pyaasaa hai, mujhe kyaa maaloom

<Kaifi Azmi> Hemant Kumar:
tera hain jahaan saara apna magar tu nahin hai

Anubhav (1971)

<Kapil Kumar> Geeta Dutt:
koyi chupke se aa ke sapne sajaake, sapne sulaake mujhko jagaake
bole, ki main aa rahaa hoon, kaun aaye yeh main kaise jaanoon

<Gulzar> Geeta Dutt:
meraa dil jo meraa hotaa, palkon pe pakad leti
honton pe uttaa leti, haathon mein khudaa hotaa

<Gulzar> Geeta Dutt:
meri jaan, mujhe jaan na kaho meri jaan, meri jaan, meri jaan
mujhe jaan na kaho meri jaan, meri jaan, meri jaan

<Kapil Kumar> Manna Dey:
phir kaheen, phir kaheen koyi phool khilaa, chaahat naa kaho usko
phir kaheen koyi deep jalaa, manzil naa kaho usko

Aavishkar (1973)

<Jagjit Singh> Jagjit Singh, Chitra Singh:
baabul moraa, naihar chhuto hi jaaye

<Kapil Kumar> Manna Dey:
hansne ki chaah ne itnaa mujhe rulaayaa hai
koyi hamdard nahin, dard meraa saayaa hai

<Gyan Dev Agnihotri> Rajesh Khanna?:
mahaashoonya ke mahaan vistaar mein

<Gyan Dev Agnihotri> Rajesh Khanna, Manna Dey:
(maa ko pukaarakar poochhaa bachche ne ...) sunkar savaal ye ...
mere laal, tum to hameshaa the mere man ki abhilaasha mein

<Kapil Kumar> Asha Bhosle:
nainaa hain pyaase mere, pyaasaa hai praan meraa
main hoon ek barkhaa ke bin jaltaa saa din

Tumhara Kaloo (1975) {Tumhare Kallu}

Music: Kanu Roy and Shankar Shambhu

Griha Pravesh (1979)

<Gulzar> Sulakshana Pandit:
aap agar aap na hote to bhalaa kyaa hote
log kahate hain ki patthar ke maseehaa hote

<Gulzar> Sulakshana Pandit, Bhupinder Singh:
boliye surilee boliyaa ho,
haa, khatti mitti aankhon ki raseeli boliyaan

<Gulzar> Bhupinder Singh:
logon ke ghar mein rahathaa hoon kab apnaa ghar hogaa
deewaaron ki chintaa rahathi hai, deewar mein kab koyi ghar hogaa

<Gulzar> K. J. Yesudas:
logon ke ghar mein rahathaa hoon kab apnaa ghar hogaa
deewaaron ki chintaa rahathi hai, deewar mein kab koyi ghar hogaa

machal ke jab bhI aankhon se chhalak jaate hain do aansoo
sunaa hai aabashaaron ko badi taqleef hoti hai

<Gulzar> Pankaj Mitra:
pee ke yaad aaye piya, hosh mein jab bhi yaad kiyaa

<Gulazar> Chandrani Mukherjee:
pehachaan to thi pahachaanaa nahin maine
apne aap ko jaanaa nahin, pehachaan to thi

zindagi phoolon ki nahin, phoolon ki tarah mahaki rahe

Woh Phir Nahin Aayee (1981) {Shyamala}

<Jaan Nisar Akhtar> Dilraj Kaur, Mukesh:
balma mere balma raha ab kya meri baahon mein

<Jaan Nisar Akhtar> Asha Bhosle:
main karti hoon tumse pyaar nahin aisa nahin

Sparsh (1984)

<Indu Jain> Sulakshana Pandit:
geeton ki duniya mein sargam hain hum

khaali pyaalaa dhundhlaa darpan, khaali khaali man, khaali khaali man
bujhtaa sooraj jaltaa chandaa, patjhaari saawan, patjhaari saawan

pyaala chhalka ujala darpan jagmag man aangan

Mayuri (1985)
Directed by Nutan; MD: Kanu Roy; Sapan Jagmohan (background music)

< > Nutan:
mera jeevan ek barfeeli dhaara
ruki ruki na bahe, kaun jaane kahaan hai kinaara

< > Nutan, Amit Kumar:
mil ke o sanam dil haaye kahin kho gayaa

(4 songs; all by Nutan. 2 solos and two duets with Amit Kumar)

Hari Ram
Erum Hashmi
QUOTE(Hari Ram @ Feb 26 2008, 09:10 PM) *
HT bhai,

Here is another MD, Kanu Roy (Geeta Dutt's brother), composed some excellent songs.

Kanu Roy's Filmography with songs list
(Limited to Hindi movies and songs)

Uski Kahani (1966)

Anubhav (1971)

Aavishkar (1973)

Tumhara Kaloo (1975)

Music: Kanu Roy and Shankar Shambhu

Griha Pravesh (1979)

Shyamala (1979) ?

Who Phir Nahin Aayee (1981)

Sparsh (1984)

I will add songs listing in a few days.

Hari Ram

+ MAYURI (????)

Shyamala & Wo phir nahin aayi are same (One Film Two Names)!

Hari Ram
Erum sis,

Thanks for the corrections.

Hari Ram
HumTum
Thanks Hari Ram bhai for Kanu Roy filmography! bow.gif

IPB Image

Kanu Roy (1943-81?) - was a well known actor and composer both in Bengali and Hindi films. Brother of Geet Dutt, Kanu Roy gave some classic songs for Anubhav, Uski kahani, Avishkar, Grihapravesh, Sparsh.. Sad to note that like his sister he passed away so early in life, else we would have more such lovely melodies sad.gif
mmuk2004
HT,

Thank you for starting this very interesting thread and Pinky, Erumji and Hari Ram for all the valuable information they have shared. smile.gif
parag_sankla
Even the other brother of Geeta ji, Mukul Roy never made it to the stardom in spite of talent.

shish
Great thread HumTum Ji. And a big big applause to all contributors.
SuDeo
Dear Shri HumTum,

Lovely thread this one! Certainly I wish to know all about these fantastic music composers who have given us so much happiness. I was delighted to know about Ajit Merchant. I often wonder how a composer like him could have been relegated to a trival career in music. His Sapera song Roop Tumhara Aankhon Se Pee Lu is a masterpiece of composition.

I am going to immensely enjoy this musical journey with you all.

Subhash G Deo
SuDeo
Of course, you people must be knowing it, but for the purpose of the thread, I am putting this info here.

One of the most versatile MDs of HFM Shri S. Mohinder Ji left India long back after he found side tracked by the establishment. He is in the USA (like Shri S. D. Batish Ji) was. It would be a good idea if any of our members call on him and have a talk on behalf of all of us!

Subhash G. Deo
HumTum
Thanks Subhash bhai for this news. Like you said, it would be really wonderful if someone would meet up with him and talk to him. It is most unfortunate to see how composers who have contributed a lot to the hindi film music are lost with the changing times in this field. sad.gif
SuDeo
Dear Shri HumTum Ji,

Even Minu Purushottam ji is in the USA. A talk with her can be very illuminating. I am planning to meet the son of Shyamsunder and the wife of Shri Husnalal sometimes in next two weeks. However, I suppose both are famous MDs, and so I should write about those meets in other threads.

Subhash G. Deo
bawlachintu
Great effort Humtum. Thanks erum for your inputs.
HumTum
QUOTE(SuDeo @ Feb 28 2008, 09:31 PM) *
Dear Shri HumTum Ji,

Even Minu Purushottam ji is in the USA. A talk with her can be very illuminating. I am planning to meet the son of Shyamsunder and the wife of Shri Husnalal sometimes in next two weeks. However, I suppose both are famous MDs, and so I should write about those meets in other threads.

Subhash G. Deo

Subhash ji that would be wonderful. We look forward to your enlightening posts giving us details of your meets with these greats. Thank you so much. rolleyes.gif
HumTum
QUOTE(bawlachintu @ Feb 29 2008, 08:44 PM) *
Great effort Humtum. Thanks erum for your inputs.

Thanks Bawlachintu bhai. I have seen many of your posts with some great rare info. Please feel free to add anything you would like on this thread. cool.gif
Sangeet
Aavishkar (1973)

<Gyan Dev Agnihotri> Manna Dey:
maa ko pukaarakar poochhaa bachche ne, aayaa kahaan se hoon maa bolo to ...

Aavishkar - 04 - Mere Lal Tum Ko Hameshaa - Manna Dey/192 Kbps/1:54 /Kanu Roy
Click to view attachment
SuDeo
I suppose Shri Sangeet Babu has done the right thing by uploading a Kanu Roy gem. Whenever we discuss a composer, it will be befitting to upload some of his songs. Now that applies to Ajit Merchant songs also. Wish someone uploads the Sapera and Indrasabha songs of his!

SuDeo
Hari Ram
QUOTE(Sangeet @ Mar 6 2008, 09:04 PM) *

Aavishkar (1973)

<Gyan Dev Agnihotri> Manna Dey:
maa ko pukaarakar poochhaa bachche ne, aayaa kahaan se hoon maa bolo to ...

Aavishkar - 04 - Mere Lal Tum Ko Hameshaa - Manna Dey/192 Kbps/1:54 /Kanu Roy
Click to view attachment

Sangeet bhai,

Thanks a lot for this 'mere laal ...' song.
I have updated Kanu Roy Filmography.

There might be one more stanza to this song ('milaa thaa man ko mere jab ik tan ...').

Hari Ram
Hari Ram
QUOTE(SuDeo @ Mar 7 2008, 05:47 AM) *

I suppose Shri Sangeet Babu has done the right thing by uploading a Kanu Roy gem. Whenever we discuss a composer, it will be befitting to upload some of his songs. Now that applies to Ajit Merchant songs also. Wish someone uploads the Sapera and Indrasabha songs of his!

SuDeo

SuDeo bhai,

In Kanu Roy's filmography, I will gladly post any song (titles listed in black) on request.

Hari Ram
smahesh
QUOTE(HumTum @ Feb 26 2008, 10:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Kanu Roy (1943-81?) - was a well known actor and composer both in Bengali and Hindi films. Brother of Geet Dutt, Kanu Roy gave some classic songs for Anubhav, Uski kahani, Avishkar, Grihapravesh, Sparsh.. Sad to note that like his sister he passed away so early in life, else we would have more such lovely melodies sad.gif

kanu roy was not geeta dutt's brother;it's a popular misconception

mahesh
Exon
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 20 2008, 05:39 PM) *

IPB Image

mahesh

SMahesh,

Thanks for the info.
The misconception is so wide spread that it is found even in Wikipedia.

Exon
Reeth
QUOTE(Exon @ Apr 20 2008, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 20 2008, 05:39 PM) *

IPB Image

mahesh

SMahesh,

Thanks for the info.
The misconception is so wide spread that it is found even in Wikipedia.

Exon

This misconception is Understandable....... as Geeta Ghosh Roy (Geeta Dutt)had two brothers Mukhul ghosh roy popularly known as Mukul Roy and Kanu Ghosh Roy otherwise known as Kanu Ghosh.....
Kanu ghosh roy composed music for only a couple of hindi films like Naya Zamana(1957) and Pyaar ki Raahen(1959)

whereas Kanu Roy composed music for many hindi flms including Anubhav,Aavishkar,Grihpravesh and Sparsh......
smahesh
no reethji,
even kanu ghosh was not her brother.she had three brothers[2 older and 1 younger] and three sisters[not sure about the number of sisters].her brother mukul roy composed music for few films[bhed,detective,sailaab].her sister laxmi sang a few songs in films and was married to producer-director pramod chakravarti.
geetaji maiden surname was roychaudhari but was shortened to roy when she started singing for films .
i don't think ghosh was part of her surname.
neither kanu roy nor kanu ghosh were related to her.

regards,
mahesh
HumTum
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 20 2008, 08:26 PM) *
no reethji,
even kanu ghosh was not her brother.she had three brothers[2 older and 1 younger] and three sisters[not sure about the number of sisters].her brother mukul roy composed music for few films[bhed,detective,sailaab].her sister laxmi sang a few songs in films and was married to producer-director pramod chakravarti.
geetaji maiden surname was roychaudhari but was shortened to roy when she started singing for films .
i don't think ghosh was part of her surname.
nor kanu roy neither kanu ghosh were related to her.

regards,
mahesh

Is that so? Thanks Maheshbhai for the info. smile.gif
smahesh
HumTum bhai,
that is the information i have gatherd from various sources.it was her brothers who looked after her kids after her death.

regarding kanu roy,he worked as an assistant to salil chaudhari and even acted as his driver at times.
regards,
mahesh
parag_sankla
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 20 2008, 05:09 AM) *

IPB Image

mahesh

Mahesh, I am confused here. This thread on Geeta ji's forum says that Kanu Roy was her brother

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...&hl=brother

Parag
smahesh
parag,
even i was under that impression for a long time.
infact it was bappa who first wrote that kanu roy was not geetaji's brother after interacting with her younger brother.will have to search his mails for the info.

mahesh
parag_sankla
QUOTE(smahesh @ Apr 20 2008, 09:45 AM) *

parag,
even i was under that impression for a long time.
infact it was bappa who first wrote that kanu roy was not geetaji's brother after interacting with her younger brother.will have to search his mails for the info.

mahesh

Thanks a lots Mahesh for the clarification. So the only brother of Geeta ji who has composed music for Hindi films is Mukul Roy. None of the other brothers had any known connection to HFM.

Thank you again

Regards
Parag
oye_sonu
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ Feb 20 2008, 03:03 PM) *

Bro,

I think Ajay vishwanath must have done 1-2 more movies. One SJ fan told me abt this duo. If Iam not wrong they had patterned their music on SJ style.

If any of you have any songs of Ajay vishwanath please upload. ( Just 2 songs for checking ! )

Sonu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.