Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Food For The "day"
Hamara Forums > General > Games N' Puzzles
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Marcilo
We have had few interesting topics talking about personal things, well with out getting too personal. So here is one - Food for the "day" or should we call "the last supper"?.

What about last meal you had? Wanna talk? Or should we modify this to what you been munching on? Or may be sipping on? Open to ideas and suggestions

had bhindi and daal for lunch laugh.gif

if we wanna talk about munching? had M&M peanuts and coffee wink.gif
deewani
Why do I sense a veiled attempt to answer the age old question, what shall we have for dinner today? tongue1.gif

Punjabi Chole (channa), chapathi, and of course no meal is complete without Patak's Green Chile Relish (hari mirch ka achaar).

simplefable
It is morning here...I just had a glass of milk with horlicks.. tongue1.gif and two egg whites. Hey..this is not breakfast, just pre- breakfast... biggrin.gif
lakshmi

It is almost 10pm. I am having a glass of bournvita.
simplefable
And now is the time for hot hot dosa....Yummy... biggrin.gif with a cuppa coffee later. the finishing touch.
mmuk2004
We have had few interesting topics talking about personal things, well with out getting too personal.

Very dangerous topic, this...can get extremely personal...biggrin.gif

Why do I sense a veiled attempt to answer the age old question, what shall we have for dinner today?

You hit the nail on the head Deewz... tongue1.gif

maggie for dinner sad1.gif
Marcilo
Why do I sense a veiled attempt to answer the age old question, what shall we have for dinner today
Well we can find out what goodies people are having. Aaha see I found one, that Patak’s mirchi ka aachar… I never went above and beyond regular aam ka aachar. I been hooked on to hot Mango pickle from Nirav

maggie for dinner
Maggie is good. Our little one has developed taste for that already

Marcilo
Had raspberry spread with toasted bread and banana milk shake for breakfast
simplefable
Nine in the night...i had Rice with Dhal...and curds with carrot fry.. biggrin.gif
Marcilo
carrot fry

Never tried that

Daal and Sabzi of Potato & red pepper along with green salad
mmuk2004
Chappatis and paneer ki sabzi (from the Indian store)...for lunch... too spicy sad.gif
lakshmi

Just had dinner. Okra ,chapathis , rasam, rice and plantain chips.
Marcilo
My dinner - Papa John's Pizza – with onions and black olives topping
Marcilo
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Oct 16 2007, 09:19 PM) *

Just had dinner. Okra ,chapathis , rasam, rice and plantain chips.

Do you put Okra in Rasam or Sambhar too? i have heard this from few folks.

Chappatis and paneer ki sabzi (from the Indian store)...
U mean Dabba wala food? yes that sure is spicy
mmuk2004

Yes dabba wala...

Have you tried the special thin crust pizza by Papa John's? Don't really like pizza, but now that my daughter's social circle is increasing... tongue1.gif ...we have learnt to compromise a bit. I love the black olives topping and usually add pineapple too.

Just had dinner. Okra ,chapathis , rasam, rice and plantain chips

Do you usually have rice and chappatis together?

Had dannon fruit blend and toast for dinner.
simplefable
Having my morning fruit.. Custard apple...yummy smile.gif

Click to view attachment
deewani
Baingan ka bhartha (from the garden) and chapathi (ofc achaar as usual).

We only have Papa Murphy's in my area. sad.gif They are so so, I'd rather get the fresh pizza dough ball from Trader Joe's with their Pizza Sauce and make it myself. I've heard great things about Papa John's though!

Marci you must try that achaar once, it's a bit hard to find though, even in desi stores (funnily the american grocery store has it, lol), not as popular as the others I guess. But everyone I have forced to try it loves it. Some gora friends even spread it on toast! Even Cost Plus had their own version for a while but they discontinued it.
Reeth
Had a solid Breakfast..... biggrin.gif Tea, Bread and Omlette and a banana....
lakshmi
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 17 2007, 07:03 AM) *

If you happen to live in New York City, try Singha's Pizza. I love pizza with black olive, green olive and onions.

We make okra sambhar and okra gojju(kannadiga's dish),

Having a cup of hot instant coffee.
azad
It is almost 8:30 pm here, I am still sitting hungry, couldn't be bothered going out, so it eventually is gonna be a cheese and tomato sandwich and a coffee...... poor me !
Although, will make up for today's loss tomorrow at lunch at the Brazilian BBQ........Yummy.
Hari Ram
An excellent thread; interesting to read different tastes.

A minor suggestion; would it be better to change the phrase 'last supper' in the sub heading?

Hari Ram
simplefable
Having a full red apple as a pre-supper... biggrin.gif . i believe in the saying..an apple a day keeps the doctor away..( provided your aim is right... )
Marcilo
Have you tried the special thin crust pizza by Papa John's
I am actually hooked on to Papa's "Personal Pizza with two toppings (chicken and onion)". Since its navratri time so no chicken for me.

How is thin crust pizza? Is it good? For some reason I do not like thin crust. I tried that at domino's and it wasn't great. One pizza that I want to try is called mariachi pizza by Donato's. I have heard great reviews about that. It has pineapple as one of the topping

Baingan ka bhartha (from the garden) and chapathi (ofc achaar as usual).
Wow, organic home grown stuff. Ok it funny but I tried growing veggies in my patio. I failed miserably. I was watering plants everyday with miracle grow. I burnt all but one tomato plant.

I'd rather get the fresh pizza dough ball from Trader Joe's with their Pizza Sauce and make it myself.
Wow trader, I been getting cod fish and crab patties from trader lately and been putting those on grill. Trader has some great stuff. Try out organic raspberry spread, its really good. Another thing at trader that I pick up regularly is chocolate coated almonds.

We make okra sambhar

I got to try that, I can't remember if I had that or not.
Marcilo
QUOTE(Hari Ram @ Oct 17 2007, 09:02 AM) *

An excellent thread; interesting to read different tastes.

A minor suggestion; would it be better to change the phrase 'last supper' in the sub heading?

Hari Ram

Done, changed.
Marcilo
Had dried fruits granola bar with mango milk shake for breakfast
mmuk2004
Sourdough toast with butter and orange juice... and tea ofc.
lakshmi

Going to have left over chole and yoghurt rice with home made lime pickle. Sounds crazy?
mmuk2004
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Oct 17 2007, 11:01 AM) *

Going to have left over chole and yoghurt rice with home made lime pickle. Sounds crazy?

Yes laugh.gif I have caught my husband sometimes having leftover biryani for b'fast ... biggrin.gif
simplefable
QUOTE(lakshmi @ Oct 17 2007, 09:31 PM) *

NO...Yummy... biggrin.gif . I love curds with lime pickle..and mix what ever i can lay my hands on. smile.gif
deewani
Squash sabzi (from the garden) and chapathi.

QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 17 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Wow, organic home grown stuff. Ok it funny but I tried growing veggies in my patio. I failed miserably. I was watering plants everyday with miracle grow. I burnt all but one tomato plant.

Well the soil is very rich here (and the weather typically moderate) so lucky on that, everything tastes so much better from the garden, especially key ingredients for turka like tomatoes (very khata this time around) and mirch. Downside is you end up cooking same sabzis a lot!

I tried a few jams long time ago at Trader's wasn't too keen on them, not sure if I tried the raspberry, will have to do. I usually stick to that Smucker's Simply Fruit spreads or other 100% fruit ones. I love strawberry, apricot, and raspberry. Once in a while I get lucky and the gourmet market has the british Robertson's Silver Shred (lemon marmalade) which is very yummy yet so hard to find. It's all very yummy on Trader's sourdough bread or their toasting bread, or Thomas' Sourdough English Muffins.
simplefable
It is time for Uthappam...yummy biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Hari Ram
Perhaps a dumb question. What's 'turka'?
I figured out 'mirch' is green chilli.
One item, I love the most from my little garden is 'bitter guard'.

Hari Ram
deewani
QUOTE(Hari Ram @ Oct 18 2007, 06:50 AM) *
Perhaps a dumb question. What's 'turka'?
I figured out 'mirch' is green chilli.
One item, I love the most from my little garden is 'bitter guard'.

Hari Ram

Bitter Gourd aka Karela smile1.gif

Turka is Punjabi word for the masala base you make before the veggies go in (cumin, corinader seeds, garlic, ginger, green pepper, red pepper, onions, all the spices, and depending on the dish, tomatoes). At some Punjabi restaurants you will see on the menu Turka Dal - this is Lentils that have been curried with Turka.
azad
Today was slightly better than yesterday, food wise.
2 pieces of toast and a coffee for breakfast.....could have been better.
BBQ lunch, ate more than I should have and "bludged" all afternoon.
Got invited to a Shichuan dinner, was great but couldn't quite get the appetite to kick in after that big lunch.

deewani
Made my version of Tandoori Chicken and also Dum Aloo by request for bro who was craving desi food.
Reeth
Since i am a paying guest i am at my owner's mercy, who is moody...at such times i make do with museli...
But today the lady was in a super mood so i got Lovely hot Idli sambar and Coffee....i am planning to buy some flowers for her later so that this present mood continues for a few more days... tongue1.gif
azad
Just had a quick bite of Seafood Fried Rice (Crab meat and shrimp paste) for lunch........had to wash the rice down the throat with coke so I could breathe again. laugh.gif laugh.gif
simplefable
QUOTE(Reeth @ Oct 19 2007, 10:30 AM) *

Since i am a paying guest i am at my owner's mercy, who is moody...at such times i make do with museli...
But today the lady was in a super mood so i got Lovely hot Idli sambar and Coffee....i am planning to buy some flowers for her later so that this present mood continues for a few more days... tongue1.gif

Atta Boy..that is the way to a woman's heart. tongue1.gif
Incidentally, i too had Idli with sambar ..courtesy my always-good-mood servant maid. smile.gif

QUOTE(azad @ Oct 19 2007, 11:19 AM) *

Just had a quick bite of Seafood Fried Rice (Crab meat snd shrimp paste) for lunch........had to wash the rice down the throat with coke so I could breathe again. laugh.gif laugh.gif

rotate1.gif rotate2.gif
Reeth
[quote name='simplefable' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:36 AM' post='426570']
[quote name='Reeth' post='426554' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:30 AM']
[/quote]

Atta Boy..that is the way to a woman's heart. tongue1.gif
Incidentally, i too had Idli with sambar ..courtesy my always-good-mood servant maid. smile.gif

One cant expect anything else from her when her owner is so understanding.... smile.gif

simplefable
QUOTE(Reeth @ Oct 19 2007, 12:05 PM) *

One cant expect anything else from her when her owner is so understanding.... smile.gif

Thanks Reeth..you made my day. biggrin.gif
Marcilo
QUOTE(azad @ Oct 18 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Got invited to a Shichuan dinner, was great but couldn't quite get the appetite to kick in after that big lunch.

Wow man you got all the goodies in there. I have heard about "Shichuan chicken" but when you say dinner, what do you mean?

QUOTE(deewani @ Oct 19 2007, 12:42 AM) *

Made my version of Tandoori Chicken and also Dum Aloo by request for bro who was craving desi food.

Do you have Tandoor??? ohmy.gif wow smile.gif
Marcilo
Had 4-5 wheat crackers with cheese, glass of milk and cup of watermelon for breakfast
Marcilo
QUOTE(deewani @ Oct 17 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Squash sabzi (from the garden) and chapathi.

QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 17 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Well the soil is very rich here (and the weather typically moderate) so lucky on that, everything tastes so much better from the garden, especially key ingredients for turka like tomatoes (very khata this time around) and mirch. Downside is you end up cooking same sabzis a lot!

I tried a few jams long time ago at Trader's wasn't too keen on them, not sure if I tried the raspberry, will have to do. I usually stick to that Smucker's Simply Fruit spreads or other 100% fruit ones. I love strawberry, apricot, and raspberry. Once in a while I get lucky and the gourmet market has the british Robertson's Silver Shred (lemon marmalade) which is very yummy yet so hard to find. It's all very yummy on Trader's sourdough bread or their toasting bread, or Thomas' Sourdough English Muffins.

True, but I am sure you do get real taste of veggies with home grown stuff. My mom, when she was here last time told that there is no taste in veggies here. I guess we have lost those taste buds by now so we do not feel it.

We used to get mixed kissan's fruit jam but once we fund ant inside it so that was it. lol
I am not a very big fan of sourdough, the only time I have it is when I go to panera.

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Oct 17 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Yes laugh.gif I have caught my husband sometimes having leftover biryani for b'fast ... biggrin.gif

Subah subah biryani??? ohmy.gif Off late I been on fruits and bit of bread here and there for breakfast
lakshmi

Had Habey dip and chips + onion and cheese enchilada for dinner. It was yummy.
mmuk2004
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 19 2007, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Oct 17 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Subah subah biryani??? ohmy.gif Off late I been on fruits and bit of bread here and there for breakfast

Yes whenever the poor guy gets a chance... tongue1.gif I like very light b'fasts.

Had a lovely paneer dish with red, green and yellow peppers (super simple to make and it turns out just great) and rice n salad with Persian cucumbers (my favorite wub.gif ).

Reeth and SF,

All this idli sambar and uttapam references are really making me nostalgic. Have to go to a South Indian restaurant this weekend!
azad
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 19 2007, 11:49 PM) *
QUOTE(azad @ Oct 18 2007, 10:15 AM) *

Wow man you got all the goodies in there. I have heard about "Shichuan chicken" but when you say dinner, what do you mean?
Sichuan is a central China province (Capital City Chengdu) and is the hot (spicy) food capital of China. Their breakfasts are served hot (Chilli hot) too. There are a lot of restaurants every where and extremely popular serving only Sichuan Cuisine. What I meant when I said Sichuan Dinner was we went to one of these Sichuan restaurants for dinner.

The fried chicken takes the cake, little cubes of deep fried spicy chicken in a bowl full of fired dried chillies, you basically have to do a chicken hunt amongst the peppers, and I mean the bowl contains almost a Kg of chillies. Never seen this dish outside China. Actually one should not venture into one of these restaurants if one can not handle chillies.

They also specialize in "hot pot" (a boiling pot with lots of spices and peppers in the middle of the table). You are given your raw meats and vegetables and you cook your own. and use sesame and peanut sauce as the dip. Could be a problem in summer though, with all that heat and the spicy fumes around.

Anyhow, this cuisine is my favourite amongst all Chinese cuisines, maybe because the taste is on par with our curries.

azad
Got up at 11 am only because starvation had set in, went through the fridge and found some cold meat, had no other options, so feasted on a couple of cold meat sandwiches and a mug of very strong coffee. Planning to have a proper dinner, will probably go to "haveli" one of the indian restaurants here.
Marcilo
Had Cheese Ravioli with marinara sauce @ Fazoli's for lunch
Marcilo
you are given your raw meats and vegetables and you cook your own

Sounds much like mangolian but they do cook for you, they let you pick stuff though

They also specialize in "hot pot" (a boiling pot with lots of spices and peppers in the middle of the table). You are given your raw meats and vegetables and you cook your own. and use sesame and peanut sauce as the dip. Could be a problem in summer though, with all that heat and the spicy fumes around.
Wow, that sure is hot and spicy food. I doubt I will gulp that down. As such one spicy dish is hard to handle for me.

Planning to have a proper dinner, will probably go to "haveli" one of the indian restaurants here.
udher bhi haveli??? i guess that is a very common name for Restaurant
azad
QUOTE(Marcilo @ Oct 21 2007, 07:48 AM) *
Had Cheese Ravioli with marinara sauce @ Fazoli's for lunch
Nice, haven't had one of them for a while.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.