I did not check after typing so forgive the spelling and other errors.

ONLY ASHA

It’s as if destiny singled out Asha Bhosle to transform her with a wave of life’s magic wand. Nearly 6 decades after her foray into the world of music, Bhosle continues to rock. Reinventing consistently both musically, and through tangential career choices. At 70 she remains sharp as a pin. Her latest love is the guitar, which she strums with great panache when not dashing off to Dubai to oversee her signature restaurant, Asha’s. At home over vegetarian fare on a recent Monday, she conducted herself with amazing grace. Despite the volley of personal questions she remained unruffled. A few days later, at Mumbai photographer Atul Kasbekar’s studio, she gave us a glimpse of the Monica, My Darling magic. “Lights, camera, action,” said Kasbekar. Without missing a beat, the elegant septuagenarian, with her flying hair and sari blazing with rhinestones, morphed into a diva, sex appeal personified. At our spontaneous applause she broke into Ek Hasina Thi from Karz, flashing the 1000-watt smile that makes her the darling of several generations. “This is a new Ashatai,” said stylist Mickey Contractor. “I have never seen her with her hair open, displaying so much attitude.”

Her chutzpah is visible in our pictures and her responses.

Tina: Six decades in music, and you chose to start a restaurant in Dubai. It’s been an exciting innings.

Asha: My life has been a struggle. My husband earned only Rs. 100 a month. I used to walk everywhere, sometimes travel by train. But the abiding theme of my life has been my family; my children had to have the best. My husband was very orthodox. To live in such a household and still be part of filmdom was a trapeze act. But I was determined to rise above it.
I have been cooking since 10—cooking is in my blood. But I could not devote much time to it. Later, as the children grew, I began cooking again. Whenever we ate outside, I would ask for recipes. The children told me to write a cookery book, but that never materialized. Then my son Anand came up with the idea of a restaurant. I used to cook for guests like Daboo (Randhir Kapoor) and Chintu (Rishi Kapoor)—they love my food. There was always this ghar ka khana (home food) mood, and that’s what we’ve achieved at the restaurant. I found one Brahmin boy from Pune, taught him my style of cooking, and then sent him to Dubai.

Tina: What’s on the menu?

Asha: There is a distinct Maharashtrian influence in the vegetarian cooking. When I cook rice with brinjals, the masala is different. I make tomato chutney in the Bengali style. The chana dal is cooked exactly like my mother’s. The aloo sabzi is in Haridwar style. And from Majrooh (Sultanpuri) saab’s Begum, I learnt biryanis, kababs, and the Lucknowi style of cooking.

Tina: Are there more outlets on the anvil?
Asha: After another outlet, in Kuwait, I want to open them across the Middle east and hopefully one in Mumbai.

Tina: Can someone really do anything they are passionate about, irrespective of age?

Asha: Yes! I have been learning the guitar for the past 2 years. During a show in the US, I picked up the guitar and everyone started clapping. At the age of 14, I started singing for films. My formal training was in Marathi. Once I got into filmdom there was no need to learn English—till one fine day my son told me that I had to go to London to sing an English number! I asked him how I would manage. He said, “The way you sing Tamil songs.” So I picked up an English ‘listen and learn’ book with cassette. I studied it for 2 months. When I reached London my son and his wife left me with a bunch of English folks. Slowly, I began to speak and sing in English. If you are determined you can do anything at any age.

Tina: In your early days, did you feel uncomfortable doing oomph numbers?

Asha: Everyone was a hypocrite in those days; they liked those numbers but said they didn’t. When the lyrics were not in good taste, I would feel uncomfortable. But I was never uncomfortable with new tunes. A song is a song. If I sing a tawaif (courtesan) number it does not mean I become one. But the same people who criticized me in those days now say I sing good numbers. The people who liked my songs were too young at the time to buy my records. Today, they’ve grown up and I am still singing for them.

Tina: You’ve always been forward-looking…..

Asha: My mother used to say that a human being should not be like a frog in the well. The world is a vast place. This is what I remind myself.

Tina: You chose to move on from your first marriage.

Asha: I did not move on from that relationship. I was removed from it.

Tina: Your husband did not approve of your singing for films?

Asha: Singing in films was okay, but he was suspicious. He threw me out.

Tina: But that did not stop you from carrying on singing.

Asha: I have not studied so I could not be a writer. I am not beautiful, so I couldn’t be an actress. I only wanted to sing and raise my kids. All my pain disappears when I’m in front of the mike. I can sing anything. I can’t be choosy and say, “I won’t sing a cabaret number.” Music is my favourite companion; it never lets me down.

Tina: Tell us about your relationship with Pancham (RD Burman).

Asha: My association with him went back a long way. We met during Armaan, for which Dada (SD Burman) was scoring the music. Pancham was assisting him. Gradually, he began composing himself. I saw Pancham as an assistant; there was no equality. But music was his life. His goal was to find the right singer. Initially, our relationship was only work-related. We would be up till 5 AM listening to world music. We cooked together. We watched films together and he would drag me to football matches. He used to say, “Lataji is like Bradman, a good batsman, while you are like Sobers, an all-rounder who can do anything. His favourite singers were me, Kishoreda and Lata Didi.

Tina: Tell us how you came to sing with Boy George.

Asha: When I first met Boy George in London I thought he was a pretty girl till I observed him closely! Later at the Taboo Club he hugged me and told me he was a great fan of mine. When he came down to India, I took him round Mumbai. Then, we sang Bow down mister together. Initially I was a bit uncomfortable but later realized it was the same as working with any musician. Of course he would take an hour to do his makeup. He did his eyebrows sow ell he would put any woman to shame1 anyway Western musicians are very clever. At a recording one day, someone said, “C’mon baby.” I told them I wasn’t a bay; “Call me aunty.” They didn’t. So I told them to call me Asha!

Tina: And now you are remixing numbers.

Asha: I keep on changing with the times. There was a time when ghazals were very popular. But when the fad faded, the singers were out of work. I thought baap re, if I only sang in a certain style, I’d be gone too.

Tina: Are the reports of sibling rivalry between you and Lata Didi exaggerated?

Asha: The rivalry is professional; I just see it as healthy competition. I am four years younger than Didi and she is an introvert. I am always deeply appreciative of her in public while she is more held back, though she does acknowledge me privately. I have sung more than 13,000 songs, more than anyone else has.

Tina: “She’s still 16 at heart,” AR Rahman says about you. How do you retain your zest for life/

Asha: Rahman makes me sing ‘young’ numbers like Rangeela re. When I sing, I feel the body movement. Only when you play the character does the song emerge. For instance, when I sang for Helen, I would see her face and visualize her movements. In those days the artists would meet up with the singers. Now if I sing for Kareena (Kapoor) I have to imagine what she would be doing. For Umrao Jaan I really had to get into the character.

Tina: What do you feel about singers like Madonna?

Asha: Many years ago in London, I was referred to as Madonna in a sari! I like the way she constantly changes her persona. Artists must keep reinventing themselves. Whenever I go on stage my hairstyle, kadas (bangles) and sari are appreciated. I also started the trend of wearing a coat over my sari.

Tina: How do you gear up for a show?

Asha: I plan my wardrobe depending on where the show is to be held. I prefer white saris, and pearls rather than diamonds. One day I saw a magic show and thought of introducing it in my stage shows. I can make handkerchiefs disappear, make burnt cigarettes appear. I managed to learn some sleight of hand.

Tina: You have 5 grandchildren. What do you think about being a homemaker and a career woman?

Asha: I have always been house-proud. I go for recordings around 11 AM and then I am on the phone drafting instructions. No one disturbs me when I am singing, but after that there are things to be done, planning the menu at home, everyday stuff.

Tina: How do you keep fit? Do you meditate?

Asha: I exercise; basically hand and leg exercises. But there is no time, no solitude to meditate.

Tina: hat else is new on your plate?

Asha: I do sing film songs but my son helps me a lot in working on the music especially for shows. I don’t want to change the songs but only the music. The other day I saw a remix of my song Chod do aanchal zamana kya kahega. There were these girls in pant shirts with no aanchal in sight! Nowadays people are changing songs too much. I am working on a pure classical album; there is also a ghazal album with old ghazals and modern treatment. I am leaving for the US soon where a group of classical musicians will be singing my songs.

Tina: Do you identify more with today’s generation or your own?

Asha: I relate more to the younger generation. When I am at a party, the youngsters feel, “Oh God, abhi namaskar karna hoga! (We’ll have to pay our respects to her now). But when I am singing, it is for them. I am one with them.

Tina: What is your message for the Indian woman?

Asha: The woman makes the world go round; she is shakti. A woman must be aware of this inner strength; no man will be able to beat or dishonour her then. We women should stop making a tamasha of everything; we should stop bickering and backbiting. Only if we can keep our homes intact will others respect us. I know no one will listen to my bhashan (speech). But I still have to say it!