Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bit torrent
Hamara Forums > General > Computing and Technology
cinemaniac2
hey guys.

what is this?

where do u get the files?

can u give me some simple instructions and places to go.

thanks

cinemaniac2
Chitralekha
bit torrent? what is that? unsure.gif
extenok
Something like kazaa?
Bawra Jay
Its too much pain.... someone who has the files has to seed , etc.... and than you so dependent on those till all files are completed downloading.... to share you have to create a torrent file and post in some torrent forums like desi torrent or tamil torrent, etc... not a great collection of songs but for who has all the time in this world to watch free movies downloading them on computers..... Also the torrrent download works on torrent list of files... so as soon u open a torrent file all of the files start downloading , even if you want just one of it... later you can go and remove each of them individually.....have to expose your machine thru firewall by opening 6889 to 6999 ports numbers for dedicated sharing with other uses.....my personal exeprience... too much a headache and less of convience......
anurag
Instead of bit torrent, I have heard people swearing by irc or Direct clients like BDC or DC++.
Shrawan
I use bittorrent myself and I think it's great. You can download full albums in less then an hour. For instance I downloaded 2 Bob Marley albums, each albums were about 120 mb, in less then 30 minutes. Also movies can be downloaded in 5 hours or so. Bittorrent is fast and reliable. The only disadvantage is that you can't download single mp3's, you have to download an whole album in order to get the song wich you are searching for. Also good bittorrent sites are hard to find! sad1.gif

Cinemaniac, if you are still interested in Bittorrent, simply download this client from Bittornado.com. If you want I can give some sites where you can download torrent files.
liquid
just go to http://www.suprnova.org/.
thats the place to be.
stormey
QUOTE (liquid @ Aug 5 2004, 06:53 PM)
just go to http://www.suprnova.org/.
thats the place to be.

liquid , I had a quick look at this site but I cant see any indian songs/movies sad1.gif
Is it just english stuff here or am I not looking properly camera.gif

And could anyone tell me how to download over 200 kishore songs in 1 hit as suggested in BBM files section a few weeks ago. I have been trying in vein since then without a result.
Bawra Jay
Have u installed torrent client ? If so than follow this link thread to Kishore torrent fileand open it in torrent client... if anyone is seeding you might be lucky... ek din , nahi tau ek week nahi tau ek mahine mei tau jarrur saare songs download ho jayenge wink2.gif...

stormey
QUOTE (Bawra Jay @ Aug 12 2004, 01:13 AM)
Have u installed torrent client ? If so than follow this link thread to Kishore torrent fileand open it in torrent client... if anyone is seeding you might be lucky... ek din , nahi tau ek week nahi tau ek mahine mei tau jarrur saare songs download ho jayenge wink2.gif...

BJ bhai could you please explain what the term seeding means, and if I recall correctly earlier you said that a couple of ports have to be opened as well. What exactly would 'they' be uploading from me while I am downloading the songs. And is it essential to open those ports. Because in other ptp clients such as kazaa or winmx there is an option to disable file sharing.

And were you really talking seriously when you said it might take up to a month to download the songs, because I was thinking around 2 days max

thanks
Shrawan
QUOTE (stormey @ Aug 11 2004, 12:53 PM)

liquid , I had a quick look at this site but I cant see any indian songs/movies sad1.gif
Is it just english stuff here or am I not looking properly camera.gif 

If you're looking for Hindi movies/song you might wanna check out this site: http://www.desitorrents.com
ghulam
QUOTE (stormey @ Aug 12 2004, 04:19 PM)

BJ bhai could you please explain what the term seeding means

I havent used bit torrent myself yet , but I am curious and reading up on it.study2.gif At first glance it does look quite complicated . I am willing to give it a try but I should back up my hard drive first just in case something unexpected happens:(( .

Anyway here is a glossary which I found on a torrent site party2.gif .

Torrent -

Usually this refers to the small metadata file you receive from the web server (the one that ends in .torrent.) Metadata here means that the file contains information about the data you want to download, not the data itself. This is what is sent to your computer when you click on a download link on a website. You can also save the torrent file to your local system, and then click on it to open the BitTorrent download. This is useful if you want to be able to re-open the torrent later on without having to find the link again.
In some uses, it can also refer to everything associated with a certain file available with BitTorrent. For example, someone might say "I downloaded that torrent" or "that server has a lot of good torrents", meaning there are lots of good files available via BitTorrent on that server.

Peer-

A peer is another computer on the internet that you connect to and transfer data. Generally a peer does not have the complete file, otherwise it would be called a seed. Some people also refer to peers as leeches, to distinguish them from those generous folks who have completed their download and continue to leave the client running and act as a seed.

Seed -

A computer that has a complete copy of a certain torrent. Once your client finishes downloading, it will remain open until you click the Finish button (or otherwise close it.) This is known as being a seed or seeding. You can also start a BT client with a complete file, and once BT has checked the file it will connect and seed the file to others. Generally, it's considered good manners to continue seeding a file after you have finished downloading, to help out others. Also, when a new torrent is posted to a tracker, someone must seed it in order for it to be available to others. Remember, the tracker doesn't know anything of the actual contents of a file, so it's important to follow through and seed a file if you upload the torrent to a tracker.

Reseed -

When there are zero seeds for a given torrent (and not enough peers to have a distributed copy), then eventually all the peers will get stuck with an incomplete file, since no one in the swarm has the missing pieces. When this happens, someone with a complete file (a seed) must connect to the swarm so that those missing pieces can be transferred. This is called reseeding. Usually a request for a reseed comes with an implicit promise that the requester will leave his or her client open for some time period after finishing (to add longevity to the torrent) in return for the kind soul reseeding the file.

Swarm -

The group of machines that are collectively connected for a particular file. For example, if you start a BitTorrent client and it tells you that you're connected to 10 peers and 3 seeds, then the swarm consists of you and those 13 other people.

Tracker -

A server on the Internet that acts to coordinate the action of BitTorrent clients. When you open a torrent, your machine contacts the tracker and asks for a list of peers to contact. Periodically throughout the transfer, your machine will check in with the tracker, telling it how much you've downloaded and uploaded, how much you have left before finishing, and the state you're in (starting, finished download, stopping.) If a tracker is down and you try to open a torrent, you will be unable to connect. If a tracker goes down during a torrent (i.e., you have already connected at some point and are already talking to peers), you will be able to continue transferring with those peers, but no new peers will be able to contact you. Often tracker errors are temporary, so the best thing to do is just wait and leave the client open to continue trying.

Downloading -

Receiving data FROM another computer.

Uploading-

Sending data TO another computer.

Share rating -

If you are using the experimental client with the stats-patch, you will see a share rating displayed on the GUI panel. This is simply the ratio of your amount uploaded divided by your amount downloaded. The amounts used are for the current session only, not over the history of the file. If you achieve a share ratio of 1.0, that would mean you've uploaded as much as you've downloaded. The higher the number, the more you have contributed. If you see a share ratio of "oo", this means infinity, which will happen if you open a BT client with a complete file (i.e., you seed the file.) In this case you download nothing since you have the full file, and so anything you send will cause the ratio to reach infinity. Note: The share rating is just a number that is displayed for your convenience. It does not directly affect any aspect of the client at all. In general, out of courtesy to others you should strive to keep this ratio as high as possible, of course.
distributed copies
In some versions of the client, you will see the text "Connected to n seeds; also seeing n.nnn distributed copies." A seed is a machine with the complete file. However, the swarm can collectively have a complete copy (or copies) of the file, and that is what this is telling you. Referring again to the "people at a table" analogy, consider the case where the book has 10 pages, and person A has pp.1-5 and B has pp.6-10. Collectively, A and B have a complete copy of the book, even though no one person has the whole thing. In other words, even if there are no seeds, as long as there is at least one distributed copy of the file everyone can eventually get a complete file. Meditate on this, the Zen of BitTorrent, grasshopper.

Choked-

This is a term used in the description of the BitTorrent protocol. It refers to the state of an uploader, i.e. the thread that sends data to another peer. When a connection is choked, it means that the transmitter doesn't currently want to send anything on that link. A BT client signals that it's choked to other clients for a number of reasons, but the most common is that by default a client will only maintain --max_uploads active simultaneous uploads, the rest will be marked choked. (The default value is 4 and this is the same setting that experimental client GUI lets you adjust.) A connection can also be choked for other reasons, for example a peer downloading from a seed will mark his connection as choked since the seed is not interested in receiving anything. Note that since each connection is bidirectional and symmetrical, there are two choked flags for each connection, one for each Tx endpoint.

Interested -

Another term used in the protocol specification. This is the corollary to the choked flag, in that interested refers to the state of a downloader with respect to a connection. A downloader is marked as interested if the other end of the link has any pieces that the client wants, otherwise the connection is marked as not interested.

Snubbed -

If the client has not received anything after a certain period (default: 60 seconds), it marks a connection as snubbed, in that the peer on the other end has chosen not to send in a while. See the definition of choked for reasons why an uploader might mark a connection as choked. The real function of keeping track of this variable is to improve download speeds. Occasionally the client will find itself in a state where even though it is connected to many peers, it is choked by all of them. The client uses the snubbed flag in an attempt to prevent this situation. It notes that a peer with whom it would like to trade pieces with has not sent anything in a while, and rather than leaving it up to the optimistic choking to eventuall select that peer, it instead reserves one of its upload slots for sending to that peer. (Reference)

Optimistic Unchoking -

Periodically, the client shakes up the list of uploaders and tries sending on different connections that were previously choked, and choking the connections it was just using. You can observe this action every 10 or 20 seconds or so, by watching the "Advanced" panel of one of the experimental clients.

I hope you understood all that coz I didnt headbang.gif
Bawra Jay
Unlike Kaaza if you dont share.... you are marked leecher... something negative and than rest of your downloads are history... yes at times you will have to keep waiting and waiting for someone to seed, unless it most popular and everyone who is connected has that torrent file being uploaded as well.

If your machine is constantly connected with internet and you dont mind leaving it up online 24 X 7 than the downloads might be faster. About opening the ports it uses 6880 to 6899 i guess , and unless u have strict firewall settings this should not be an issue for you...
stormey
QUOTE (Bawra Jay @ Aug 13 2004, 01:26 AM)

About opening the ports it uses 6880 to 6899 i guess , and unless u have strict firewall settings this should not be an issue for you...

I have 2 pc's which are connected to net using a wireless adsl modem/router which has its own firewall. By opening these ports would it put both of my pc's at risk or just the one I have bit torrent running on blab.gif .

please help bow.gif

thanks
Bawra Jay
QUOTE (stormey @ Aug 13 2004, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE (Bawra Jay @ Aug 13 2004, 01:26 AM)

About opening the ports it uses 6880 to 6899 i guess , and unless u have strict firewall settings this should not be an issue for you...

I have 2 pc's which are connected to net using a wireless adsl modem/router which has its own firewall. By opening these ports would it put both of my pc's at risk or just the one I have bit torrent running on blab.gif .

please help bow.gif

thanks

Unless those two pc's have fixed internal IP address and you have a way to tell firewall to allow traffic on those ports only for a specific IP... I guess it will expose every machine behind the firewall.....

Pradeep
Are you guys aware of any Linux based Torrent clients? Bittorent's client is based on python. Any other client that does not depend on Python?
anurag
QUOTE(Pradeep @ Jun 24 2005, 12:46 PM)
Are you guys aware of any Linux based Torrent clients? Bittorent's client is based on python. Any other client that does not depend on Python?

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/download.php
Pradeep
Thanks Anurag. But this also has a huge dependency on Python & wxPython. I was wondering any clients that can work just like LimeWire.. with java 1.3.
anurag
Pradeep

I just googled for "Java Based Torrent Client" and the first matching result was of a client called azureus that it claims on the home page as "Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client". No python needed!

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Another place where most of them are listed is:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=BitTorrent
Pradeep
Thanks Anurag smile1.gif
FlashMan
Azureus is a great client! Works like a charm and has some neat extra features.

For newbie PC users, I will recommend ABC - http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/ - It's very easy to use. Open it. Drag and drop the torrent file, a window pops up and you must choose where to put the file and thats it... Now make coffee and wait. smile1.gif

For people who never tried bittorrent before... Its different to kazaa, emule and so on, because you cant search for files in the program itself. You have to find small "address" files, called torrents. You can find them on sites like http://thepiratebay.org/. (I think that is the biggest site) I dont know any sites that features indian stuff... sad1.gif But I will check that desitorrents.com right now! smile1.gif

When you have downloaded a bit of the file, you will start sending that part to others down downloading that same file. You cannot disable sharing. By the way... ...thats a good thing.

Bittorrent is best for new and popular files and files atleast the size of an album. I rarely spend more than an hour downloading an album.

After downloading, the rule is that you keep the program open till you have shared in a 1:1 ratio. Then you can exit, and you will not be sharing that file anymore. Thats a good thing about torrents. You will often only download and share 1 file at a time, so there is less risk involved. Of course Im not encouraging anyone to download illegal stuff, but I think its worth mentioning.

I also saw someone recommending DC++ and KaZaA clients because of safety. Thats wrong. DC++ and KaZaA users are the hardest hit by RIAA and all their allies. Those two programs makes it very hard to protect oneself unless you really know what you are doing.
Pradeep
I use Azureus on the Linux system. I only have to allow one port of my choice.
Pradeep
For those who are new to torrents and feel its a bit complicated. Opera is coming to user's rescue. A preview version of Opera that supports torrents was recently posted on opera forums.

Download Opera 8.02 from
http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=96020
spbobby
[quote=anurag,Jun 25 2005, 09:19 AM]
Pradeep

I just googled for "Java Based Torrent Client" and the first matching result was of a client called azureus that it claims on the home page as "Azureus : Java BitTorrent Client". No python needed!

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Another place where most of them are listed is:

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=BitTorrent

[/quote

its a worm bag.........

makes install java compulsarily

minus 10 thumbs.....
Pradeep
Its a worm bag, bcoz we need Java 1.5 or its a worm bag full of worms and spywares?
Aurous
Torrent tools for the masses

Just when you thought there were enough BitTorrent apps to serve and fetch your download needs for life, Mashable puts together an enormous list of 50+ torrent tools and legit sites to confuse you even more.

Your favorites are all there, Azeurus, uTorrent, and all the rest. Also among them are neat-o picks like WizBit -- for S60 smartphones.. who needs BitTorrent on a smartphone? --, and Burst -- a torrent client that even runs on Windows 98.

We'll remind you once again, torrent responsibly and don't go breaking anyones copyright.

Link: http://mashable.com/2007/07/24/torrent-tools/
parag_sankla
I have installed the bittorrent and it is asking to open the port 50454.

1) Is it safe to do so ?
2) How to open this port ?

I am using a Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Parag
cinemaniac2
ya it's safe as far as India is concerned

I've heard of law suits for USA residents

opening the ports would be done by your client s'ware itself

enjoy

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.