Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its A Wonderfull Life
Hamara Forums > Films > Hollywood
bobby mudgel
here is the all time best film script------film--its a wonderfull life-1946

A shot of the Bailey House, where prayers can be heard in the iconic opening sequence.
The movie begins on Christmas Eve as the multiple prayers of many people on Earth for a man named George Bailey are heard by people in Heaven. In the heavens, Clarence Oddbody, an "apprentice" angel, is told that he must help George Bailey in order to get his wings (which distinguishes him as a lowly apprentice angel).
One of the higher-up angels, Joseph, begins to tell Clarence the story of George Bailey in order to prepare him for his mission to help him.
[edit] George the boy
First, Joseph tells Clarence of how George saved his little brother Harry when he fell through the ice at the age of nine, which lead to George losing his hearing in one ear. Later, Clarence is shown when George worked at Mr. Gower's drugstore. Two little girls, Mary Hatch and Violet Bick, come in, and Mary pledges to love him until the day she dies in George's deaf ear. George also saves a child from being poisoned by tainted capsules ordered from Mr. Gower, who is disoriented after learning, by telegram, of the recent influenza death of his son. Mr. Gower is eternally grateful to George.

Young George Bailey (James Stewart) and Mary Hatch (Donna Reed) dance the Charleston dangerously close to the gap in the quickly-opening gym floor.
[edit] George the young man
Now, about twenty-one, George Bailey wants more than anything in the world to "leave this crummy little town" of Bedford Falls, and experience the world outside. On the night before he is to leave for a European vacation and his architectural education, George sits down to dinner with his father Peter, who expresses his anxieties about having his eldest son leave without going into business with him at the Bailey Building & Loan. George reassures Peter that he has nothing to worry about, especially considering the aggressiveness of mill owner and banker Henry F. Potter, a greedy slumlord who already owns half the city. In a tender moment, George reveals his deep affection for his father, then leaves to attend the graduation party of his younger brother, Harry, at Bedford Falls High School.
At the prom, George becomes re-acquainted with Mary Hatch, now 18, who has been brought to the event by her brother, Marty. After getting rid of Mary's annoying date, Freddie (Carl Switzer), George and Mary dance together in the big Charleston contest. They dance on the line along which the floor splits when opened. In a fit of pique, Freddie activates the mechanism that exposes the water-filled pool underneath the gym floor. After moving to one side of the growing opening, George and Mary dance closer and closer to the edge before plunging in.
Afterwards, George and Mary are walking leisurely home, with George wearing a football uniform and Mary a bathrobe, both "borrowed" from the school locker room. They harmonize on the song "Buffalo Gals" as they stroll. En route to Mary's, George throws a rock through the window of 320 Sycamore: a large, empty, dilapidated house, and makes a wish as it breaks the window. Mary has asked him not to break the glass, explaining that she loves that house. Then she asks George about what wish he made. His enthusiastic answer:

Not just one wish, a whole hatful! I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world: Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Coliseum. Then, I'm comin' back here to go to college and see what they know. And then I'm gonna build things. I'm gonna build airfields, I'm gonna build skyscrapers a hundred stories high, I'm gonna build bridges a mile long.

At this, Mary impulsively picks up a stone and breaks a window as well. George asks her what she wished for, but she doesn't answer. A man sticks his head out of a window of a nearby house and starts to yell at George and Mary for making so much noise. As he and George fight, Mary panicks and runs. Unfortunatly, her robe was caught under George's foot and comes off as she flees. Left holding the garment, a mischievous George humorously teases the mortified Mary, who has hidden herself in nearby hydrangea bushes.
Just then, Uncle Billy, Peter Bailey's brother and the Building & Loan's vice president, drives up and informs George that his father has had a stroke. Tossing Mary her robe, George rides urgently away. Despite the doctor's best efforts, Peter Bailey dies.
[edit] Adult George
George, sacrificing the joys and rewards of vacation and an education in Europe, stays behind and helps settle the matters of the Bailey Building & Loan and his father's estate. He also pays for Harry to go to college first. Mr. Potter makes minor attempts to control the company, but the board puts down his attempts.

Mary tenderly tells George "He says it's the chance of a lifetime."
Harry Bailey comes home from college with a young woman in his arms and introduces her as his wife. Her father has offered Harry an excellent job, thus George's dreams of having Harry take his place at the Building and loan are dashed. Ma Bailey informs George that Mary Hatch is back in town, and that she "lights up like a firefly whenever she sees" George. George eventually makes his way to her house, where she girlishly plays games with him. George acts uncomfortable and as if he has been forced to come to her house, because, although he does love her, he knows that getting married to her means he will forever have to remain in Bedford Falls.
Frustrated by George's lack of response to her affectionate maneuvers, Mary smashes the record that she had put on just for him and demands that he leave. Then the phone rings. It's Sam Wainwright, the friend who introduced George to Mary, and he informs her that George's previous tip about plastics has turned out to be excellent advice, but that he's still looking for a place to produce his goods. George advises Sam to consider Bedford Falls' recently closed factory, which, along with its former workforce, could suit his needs. George and Mary share the telephone earpiece as Sam tells George that his father wants to give George a job with generous pay and a prosperous future and that "It's the chance of a lifetime." As a last attempt to get George's response, Mary in a very tender and seductive way tells George: "He says..it's the chance of a lifetime", which makes George finally to react and emotionally say:
Now, you listen to me! I don't want any plastics, and I don't want any ground floors, and I don't want to get married, ever, to anyone! You understand that? I want to do what I want to do. And you're—and you're—-
At this moment, he realizes he must again make another sacrifice for love, and embraces Mary. At the same time, George also realizes that he must marry his love while at the same time denying himself the prosperous job. After all, the Bailey Building & Loan needs protection from Mr. Potter, and the Bailey Building & Loan needs to protect Bedford Falls from Mr. Potter, too.
[edit] Married George
George and Mary get married in a ceremony at his mother's home. They jump into Ernie's taxicab and are about to go to the airport where they shall embark upon a grand honeymoon when, to their dismay, they see people running through the rain to the Bailey Building & Loan. Resisting the urges of Mary, George goes over to see what's up.

Denizens of Bedford Falls stand oustide of the Building & Loan in the rain during a bank run.
There has been a run on the bank, and everyone's financial future is in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Mr. Potter has seized control of the City Bank, and calls George at the Building and Loan and tells George that he doesn't think the Building & Loan has enough money to stay in business, and informs him that if all of George's clients go to Mr. Potter, he'll refund their accounts 50 cents on the dollar. Without the Building and Loan, they would all be at the mercy of Potter, who cares little for them. George pleads with the people not to sell their shares to Potter at half their value: "Don't you see what's happening? Potter isn't selling; Potter's buying!"
Mary offers their $2,000 in honeymoon money to bolster the dwindling assets and satisfy the depositors, to tide them over until the bank reopens in a week. Thus, George sacrifices another chance to leave town. The townspeople, although still fearful, trust in George's honesty and agree to withdraw only what they need to last the week.
Exasperated and tired, George, Uncle Billy, and the rest of the Building & Loan staff celebrate the two remaining dollars leftover. Suddenly, the phone rings, and it's Mary, informing him to "come home" to 320 Sycamore—the old house whose windows they once broke.
When George arrives there, he is welcomed inside to a leaking roof, drafty house, and posters of the South Seas and Hawaii covering up holes in the walls. As Mary kisses George, police officer Bert and taxi driver Ernie serenade them from outside. Embracing George, Mary whispers "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for."
Cutting years later, George opens a development called Bailey Park, opening with the ceremony of poor Italian family the Martinis getting their first home in America. Sam Wainwright stops by and tells George that he and his wife are off to Florida. George, furious that everyone else gets their dreams fulfilled except for him, kicks the door to his car shut.
Meanwhile, Mr. Potter is aware that the Bailey Park development is infringing on his profits, and he comments: "The Bailey family's been a boil on my neck long enough." George is then summoned to Mr. Potter's office, and is, strangely, congratulated for beating the old man. Mr. Potter offers him an insanely wealthy future: $20,000 a year salary, business trips to Europe and Asia... meaning the best things in the world for his new bride. However, George suddenly comes to his senses, realizing that he can't accept this temptation, because it would mean ruin for the good people of Bedford Falls. His voice rising with his increasing disgust, he tells Mr. Potter
I don't need twenty-four hours. I don't have to talk to anybody. I know right now, and the answer's no. No! Doggone it! You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money! Well, it doesn't, Mister Potter! In the—in the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say, you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
That very night, George comes home after dark while Mary is sleeping, and the words of his recent conference with Mr. Potter haunt him. The promises of wealth, happiness, and good clothing and home for Mary seem even more enticing, and George realizes just how much he has had to sacrifice during his life, and what meager material rewards he has gained from it.
His eyes drift from his sleeping young bride to the peeling paint on the walls, and to an old caricature of Mary drew of him as cowboy throwing a rope around the moon. He remembers the night he and Mary walked home from Harry's graduation, the high aspirations for the future that he expressed to her, how carefree and hopeful they were. Thus, George realizes precisely what he has missed out on by passing up Mr. Potter's offer.
Mary then sits up in bed. "George Bailey lassoes stork!" she tells him. George and Mary end up having four children in all.
[edit] The War; Christmas Eve
Afterwards, during a montage, angel Joseph explains to Clarence what happened to Bedford Falls during World War II. Harry Bailey went off to war, and his heroics saved a convoy of troops. Sam Wainwright made a fortune off of plastic hoods for airplanes. Mary and other women in the town worked for the USO. Mary's brother Marty, Ernie and Bert also went off to fight in the war. Mr. Potter takes control of the draft board. Uncle Billy and Mr. Gower sell war bonds.
George Bailey is rejected from the draft board: after saving Harry from the ice as a young boy, he went deaf in one ear, and is therefore ineligible for the U.S. Armed Forces. He stays behind to fight "The Battle of Bedford Falls" as an Air Raid Warden and scrap metal collector, and against Mr. Potter.

Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) insults George in his moment of need: "You used to be so cocky."
The war ends; and Harry Bailey's heroics have landed him a Congressional Medal of Honor, announced in a banner headline across The Bedford Falls Sentinel. At the bank, with an envelope of $8,000 of Bailey Building & Loan cash to deposit, Uncle Billy is writing out the deposit slip when Potter is wheeled into bank. Potter is greeted enthusiastically by four bankers and then sarcastically by Uncle Billy, who, noticing a copy of the Sentinel in Potter's lap, boasts
Well, good morning, Mister Potter! What's the news? Oh, well, well, well: Harry Bailey wins Congressional Medal. That couldn't be one of the Bailey boys. You just can't keep those Baileys down, now, can you, Mister Potter?
However, in his joy, Uncle Billy inadvertently wraps the envelope of cash in Potter's newspaper before returning it to him. Uncle Billy leaves; and Mr. Potter, having discovered the money, greedily and diabolically keeps it all for himself, aware that it means ruin for the Baileys.
At the Building & Loan, Violet Bick asks George for a loan to start a new life in New York City. George agrees to the loan, and consults Uncle Billy as a matter of protocol. He finds Uncle Billy in a state of distress over not being able to locate the eight thousand dollars he was supposed to deposit that morning. George searches in the obvious places in the office, and then races through the snow, hatless and coatless, retracing Uncle Billy's path in a vain attempt to find the cash. Enraged at Uncle Billy's forgetfulness, George, panicking, beats him, shouting "Where's that money? Do you realize what this means? It means bankruptcy and scandal and prison; that's what it means! One of us is going to jail. Well, it's not gonna be me!"
George is now depressed and distraught, and returns home to find his family joyous and anxious for the coming Christmas tomorrow. His daughter practices piano, while his sons decorate the tree with Mary. The now seemingly inane and stupid pleas of his family make him even more disparaged. He cries as he hugs his son Tommy, knowing that he himself will be the one who goes to jail, and will be to blame for all his clients' financial ruin. He is then told that his daughter Zuzu has a cold. Zuzu tells George that she didn't put on her coat because she didn't want to crush the rose she won at school. She asks her father to paste the wilting petals back on her rose, but they fall off in George's hand. He hides the petals in his pants pocket and returns the flower to her as if he'd mended it. Under extreme duress now, he blames her schoolteacher for not telling Zuzu to put on her coat, and George makes her cry.
Utterly desperate for a way out of prison and scandal and the suffering of his family, George asks Mr. Potter for help. Potter knows that Uncle Billy has misplaced $8,000 of the Building & Loan's money; he suggests that George has been gambling or having an extramarital affair, and taunts George:
Look at you: you used to be so cocky. You were going to go out and conquer the world! You once called me a warped, frustrated old man. What are you but a warped, frustrated young man? A miserable little clerk, crawling in here on your hands and knees and begging for help.

Critical moment, George prays. "Dear God...show me the way".
Potter declines to lend George any money, because the only collateral that he offers is a $15,000 life-insurance in which his equity is $500. In a bit of sinister, chilling humor, Potter says "Why, George, you're worth more dead than alive" and says that he will swear out a warrant for George's arrest on charges of malfeasance and manipulation of funds.
Realizing this is indeed true, George departs while Potter is still speaking, and drives to Mr. Martini's bar, where he drinks. He prays to God for deliverance from his woes. Mr. Welch, husband of Zuzu's schoolteacher, recognizes George and, irate that his wife cried for an hour after George yelled at her over the telephone, punches George in the face. He is then quickly thrown out of the bar as the other customers as well as Mr. Martini admire George and hate to see him so upset.
Feeling his life insurance policy in his coat pocket, George interprets this blow as God's answer to a man in need, and, sick with the way the world has been cruel to him for his entire life, is now on the verge of suicide. George has truly lost faith in the people of the world, and in God.
[edit] Clarence
George drunkenly crashes his car into a tree near a bridge, and stumbles out into the middle of the span. He looks down into the churning, frigid river, knowing that if he jumped in right now, the temperature and the rapids would kill him in no time. Contemplating suicide, and about to do himself in, George suddenly sees a stranger in a black coat and wearing a black hat fall into the river. George jumps in to save him, and the bridgekeeper saves them from the water.

As Clarence (Henry Travers) introduces himself, George's face reeks skepticism.
The stranger introduces himself to George as Clarence Oddbody, Angel Second Class, George's guardian from Heaven, a reader of a damp copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer who recommends "the new book Mark Twain's writing now" and claims to have died in his old-fashioned undergarments. George is very skeptical, and the bridgekeeper leaves, thinking both of them are insane. Clarence attempts to convince George that he jumped in order to save George, knowing that George would rather save a life than take his own.
George, despondent and ruined, explains his situation to Clarence, who already knows all too well the plight of George and Uncle Billy. George claims "Everyone'd be better off if I'd never been born at all."
Clarence takes this statement to heart, and having conferred with his superiors in Heaven, grants George's wish: the world has never known of a man named George Bailey, and he truly has never been born.
[edit] Pottersville
They walk in this new reality past the tree where George crashed his car—but it is gone. There is not even a mark in the tree where the car had smashed the trunk in. They then go to Martini's Bar (now "Nick's") for a drink. Clarence hears the cash register's bell, and tells George "Every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets his wings", garnering unfriendly laughter.
In the bar, Clarence (with characteristic child-like naïveté) is unafraid to discuss angels in front of a bemused Nick and others in the bar: "Why? Don't they believe in angels?" Clarence asks. Embarrassed by his slightly daffy companion, George tells Nick "He never grew up." Nick is less than amused. When Clarence, hearing the bell of the cash register, says that an angel has just earned its wings, Nick orders the two "pixies" out for "giv[ing] the joint atmosphere". As they are manhandled toward the door, Mr. Gower comes stumbling in. Nick calls Gower as a "rummy" and a "panhandler" and sprays him in the face with soda water. George is shocked by Gower's condition and hopes that his former employer will recognize him: but the reply is a mystified "No." Nick tells George that the former druggist Gower "spent twenty years in jail for poisoning a kid" and suggests that, to know Gower, George, too, "must be a jailbird".

George Bailey stands, shocked, as a riot breaks out at a dance hall in corrupt Pottersville.
George and Clarence are thrown out into the snow for "giv[ing] the joint atmosphere" (after they are tossed out, Nick sarcastically begins opening and closing the cash register, making the bell in it ring, and cries "Look at me! I'm givin' out wings!). Dismayed by the experience, but incredulous of Clarence's explanation, George interrogates Clarence, who assures George that he is his Guardian Angel. George ask what else he is: "A hypnotist?" Trying to assert his identity, he finds that, just as Clarence predicts, his wallet, all his identification, even Zuzu's flower petals, are gone from his pockets. Clarence remarks "You've been given a great gift, George: a chance to see what the world would be like without you."
In a horrific series of events, George shakes off Clarence and discovers the changed Bedford Falls—now called Pottersville. The main street has been transformed into a gaudy cavalcade of jitterbug dance halls, strip clubs, and taverns. George sees the Building & Loan has been replaced by a dance hall, while a pawn broker now serves the people of Pottersville. Violet Bick is now a prostitute facing arrest. Ernie and Bert are now callous and suspicious of everyone. The old house at 320 Sycamore is as dilapidated as ever, since George never lived there.
Ma Bailey now runs the Bailey home as a boarding house. George insists that he is her son, but she claims she never had any children except for Harry. Peter Bailey had a stroke and died, she says, and Uncle Billy tried to control the company afterwards, but pressure from Potter forced him into madness and an insane asylum.
After running down the steps, George's horrified, confused, despondent face is viewed in a fantastic close-up. He seeks closure by trying to locate the Italian immigrant family, the Martinis, in Bailey Park, but is terrified to find a cemetery there instead. Clarence appears, and tells George he wasn't there to build any house for the Martinis.
In the first of three climactic scenes of the movie, George discovers Harry Bailey's name on a tombstone. It reads "HERE LIES HARRY BAILEY: 1911–1919". Clarence tells George that, because George never existed, Harry Bailey fell through the ice and drowned at the age of nine. George, thinking he's going mad, is convinced that he saved Harry, and that Harry went on to save the lives of an entire ship of men in the war.
"Every man on that transport died! Harry wasn't there to save them because you weren't there to save Harry! You see, George: you've really had a wonderful life. Don't you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away?"
George's mind is now battling between what he thinks he knows and what is being obviously presented to him, and he demands to know what has become of Mary. He feels that if he can just find Mary, things will be back to normal. But he finds that Mary is an old-maid librarian: a plain, bespectacled woman, sad, lonely, and frightened of the world. George approaches her as she closes up the public library, pleading and begging Mary to help him. But she doesn't recognize him, and screams before running away from him. Bert comes to her defense, and tries to pry George from her. George, finally realizing everything Clarence has told him, knocks Bert to the ground. His fears deepened, George flees from the center of town, with gunshots ringing in his ears.
[edit] Faith renewed
Fleeing the horrors of Pottersville, George Bailey at last grasps the truth. As he once again arrives at the bridge, he finally realizes what Clarence has been trying to explain: that every man's life affects the world greatly. Forgetting himself and his problems, a humbled George pleads with Heaven to restore his existence and make the world as it was – problems and all:
"Clarence! Clarence! Help me, Clarence. Get me back. Get me back. I don't care what happens to me. Get me back to my wife and kids. Help me, Clarence, please. Please! I want to live again! I want to live again. I want to live again. Please, God, let me live again."

George Bailey (James Stewart) lovingly greets Bert on the bridge after being granted a second chance.
His prayer is answered: at the precise instant George utters the word "God", the blowing gusts die down, and snow begins to fall once more.
At once, George's lip starts to bleed. Bert's police car turns onto the bridge. Restored to life, George at first rounds on Bert angrily, but when Bert says his name, he euphorically asks "Bert, do you know me?"
Bert replies "Yes", leading George to jump and yell with joy. Bert demands to know where he has been, since the whole town has been looking for him. He then points out that George's lip is bleeding. Feeling for the blood, George gleefully cackles
"My mouth's bleeding, Bert! My mouth's bleed—[He checks his pocket]—Zuzu's petals! Zuzu's—There they are! Bert! What do you know about that! I'm back! Merry Christmas!"
George's eyes have been opened to the true wonder of living. All of the miseries of his Christmas Eve he now greets with humorous joy: he lauds the tree he'd crashed into, lovingly pats his dilapidated car with the door that won't stay closed, and, in the film's most memorable scene, runs ecstatically down Main Street, shouting hellos to the Bijou Movie House, Emporium, Bailey Building & Loan, and the entire city of Bedford Falls, the "crummy little town" he had come to hate. George's holiday greetings are even offered to Mr. Potter, who answers George's "Merry Christmas!" with "And a happy new year to you, too—in jail!"
George returns home. The bank examiner, the sheriff, and two newsmen are there to arrest him; but he enthusiastically shakes hands with the examiner, who says "Mr. Bailey, there's a deficit."
Responding happily both to the examiner and to the sheriff's arrest warrant, George exclaims "Isn't it wonderful? I'm going to jail!"
Spying his children on the upstairs landing, George rushes up to kiss them. When he asks where their mother is, they answer that she has gone looking for him.

With renewed faith in humanity, George Bailey (James Stewart) embraces Mary (Donna Reed) and their children.
[edit] The richest man in town
Mary rushes in moments later, shouting "George, it's a miracle! It's—it's a miracle!" George's years of selfless investment in his fellow men now pay off with interest. The people of Bedford Falls, for whom George has sacrificed his dreams, now appear in his hour of need. One by one, then in a crowd, George Bailey's neighbors offer him their money—Mr. Martini, Violet Bick, Annie the housekeeper, Mr. Gower, the customers who had trusted him in the bank run. As each comes forward, George utters their names under his breath, lovingly. The money collected is considerable, perhaps enough to save George from jail, the Bailey Building & Loan from ruin, and Bedford Falls from control by Mr. Potter.
Suddenly, Ernie shouts for silence so that he can read them a telegram: Sam Wainwright, made aware of George's peril, has cabled from London that his office is authorized to advance George up to twenty-five thousand dollars. Everyone cheers, knowing that the money should maintain the Bailey Building & Loan, and the homes and neighborhoods it has created, for years to come. The crowd bursts into "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing", while cousin Eustace, the Building & Loan clerk, begins gladly tallying the contributions which even include cash from the bank examiner and the sheriff, who also tears up the arrest warrant.
Someone shouts "Harry Bailey" and, unexpectedly, Bert the cop brings in George's brother, whom he has driven from the airport: "The fool flew all the way up here in a blizzard."
Still in uniform from his decoration in Washington and a subsequent event in New York City, Harry proposes "A toast: to my big brother, George—the richest man in town."

"To my big brother George. The richest man in town"

The crowd cheers again, and then breaks into "Auld Lang Syne", this time accompanied by Bert on his accordion and Janie on the piano. Suddenly, a book appears atop the pile of money: Tom Sawyer. George reaches down and opens the cover; inside, he finds an inscription:
Dear George:—
Remember no man is a failure who has friends.
Thanks for the wings!
Love
Clarence.
A branch is shaken on the Christmas tree, and a bell on the branch starts to jingle. Zuzu cries out "Teacher says 'Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.'" George looks skyward and says "That's right." He winks, knowing who has received the wings.
As he stands in his beloved home, surrounded by his family and the neighbors he has come to love, George Bailey truly grasps how wonderful his life has been, and realizes that a human life—no matter how wretched—is always worth living, if lived for the sake of the people that one loves.
Spoilers end here.

YaarMere
You know, you may wanna disclose the source otherwise its just stealing Intellectual Property.
bobby mudgel
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Oct 30 2006, 12:40 AM) *

You know, you may wanna disclose the source otherwise its just stealing Intellectual Property.

apna sir phode ka itna hi shoque hai tou--y don,t u hit ur head into a wall----y me all the time-----i hope
admin,s r keeping a watch on it
YaarMere
Report me.
bobby mudgel
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Oct 30 2006, 01:40 AM) *

Report me.

pig se pig ki complaint-----no i ll never do this
YaarMere
Yo man, waddup?

Listen, try to make sense once in a while or does that just go against your beliefs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.